New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Yeah, the only one I can see possibly switching is Tarvek.

The only realistic change I can see is switching Tarvek to Team Agatha.

Agatha is going where she wants to go.

Gil's responsibilities to his Empire means he really should go counter the invasion.

Martellus (unless his cat is ready, which I don't think it is) has to go with Agatha.

Trelawney does seem in favor of going along with Albia and Klaus's plan to get together with Gil, so she should be fine with her assignment.

So it just comes down to Tarvek. I've no doubt he'd want to stay with Agatha, and he could help there, but as you said he does work well with Gil.
    I think Tarvek has deduced what Albia is up to. He could spike the queen's guns by just telling Agatha his suspicions. Perhaps they should run this past what's his name, the extra-dimensional being, and see if his higher mathematical calculations give any hint as to what configuration gives the best chance to avoid the end of the world.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    The most pissed-off face in that last panel is Orotine's. The Muse of Geometry, the uber-Clank that can see connections and relationships. She does not like what she's seeing.
    50/50. Gill, Tarvek and Martellus all have simillar expressions. I think it's more like a "serious face". If you want read annoyance into them, if anything Tarvek looks to be as annoyed as her.

...Which would make sense - Tarvek is by far and away the most socially adept of the team (possibly followed by Seffie or Martellus, although the latter shows it less), so if there is something up I would expect him to catch it first. Let's see if the Muse decides to advise her King.

EDIT: And, surprisingly, Martellus is the only one who seems to be paying attention to Orotine.
    The others are all standing in front of her. They can't look at Orotine without turning round.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    Martellus (unless his cat is ready, which I don't think it is) has to go with Agatha.
    I think the cat is going to be aimed at Krosp rather than used as a weasel equivalent.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

3. - Top - End - #93
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

The most pissed-off face in that last panel is Orotine's. The Muse of Geometry, the uber-Clank that can see connections and relationships. She does not like what she's seeing.

It looks to me like Albia is trying to match Agatha up with Martellus, probably because he'd be the worst possible husband for her and would keep the Heterodyne busy with stupid stuff at home, hence weakened relative to England. Gil + Agatha, or Tarvek + Agatha, leads to a strong unified nation in Europa with competent leadership and a minimum of palace intrigue. Albia wants Europa to stop the Other, but after that, there's a few centuries of English foreign policy that add up to "Don't let the Continent become unified against us".

EDIT: And, surprisingly, Martellus is the only one who seems to be paying attention to Orotine.

We've talked before about Phil's odd variations of "how big is someone" - in these last few strips, Martellus looks ENORMOUS. Probably as big as Tarvek and Gil put together.
    Can't say I agree.

Albia has her horse in the race, Rakethorne.

That said, separating Agatha from the Princes, leaving her only with Martellus (Who she hates) and the dashing Rakethorn is a good play there.

As for the other followers

Zeetha and Violetta will be going with Agatha. Bang will probably accompany them as well, she has business with Zeetha, and they could use a pirate if they're going treasure hunting.

Gil will likely get Interdimensional Man, Higgs, Krosp and The Bears maybe?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Let's see - who do we have?

Most of them are obvious.

• Agatha: After Prende's Lantern (given)
    • Gil: After the Polar Lords and Mechanicsberg (also given)
    • Violetta: Team Agatha
    • Zeetha: Team Agatha
    • Maxim, Oggie and Dimo: Team Agatha
    • Krosp: Team Agatha
    • The Bears: Team Agatha (although Krosp may send some of them home)
    • Tarvek: Team Gil - they are probably going up against Zola with The Other's tech. He won't like it, but he needs to be there.
    • Bang: Not sure - I think she will be torn between going with Agatha in the hopes of getting at Zetha or sticking by Gil, who she sees as a kid brother. After Agatha's threats she may put off vengance for now, and she was fiercly loyal to Klaus and Gil..
    • Seffie: Do these missions have a wine list? They do not. She is more likley to act as Regent for Martellus.
    • Martellus: Team Agatha - still plotting something to do with Krosk, and obviously needs Agatha at the moment.
    • Trelawny: Team Gil - as noted, still out to get Gil on Albia' and Klaus' say so.
    • Rakethorn: Team Agatha - Was assigned to distract Agatha, presumably still distraction.
    • Kjarl: Really don't know, but possibly Team Agatha for his specialities.
    • The Circus: No reason for them to go en block, but there was a discussion about Embi and the story going to Africa at some point.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

5. - Top - End - #95
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    [*]The Circus: No reason for them to go en block, but there was a discussion about Embi and the story going to Africa at some point.
    Many years back, Phil gave an interview where he listed Agatha's future itinerary, and so far they've stuck to it. (This was even before Paris, I believe.)

Spoiler: Interview
    Show
    Africa is supposedly the next stop. Learning something important about Embi's homeland and going there is the most obvious plot-hook, but it's not assured or anything. The most obvious line is that there's a functioning Mirror there which lets Our Heroes get to Skifander. Which is the next stop on the list.

As for the teams.. Albia is explicitly kicking Tarvek out of the country with his fellow "weed" Gil. He's not getting a choice here. I can't see Kjarl haring off to the Continent, or Krosp leaving either, especially since plotwise he still needs to meet his new Empress and she's not going anywhere. (I mean, she's even got "Bride of Frankenstein" marks on her head..)
    Last edited by geoduck; 2021-03-25 at 02:41 AM.

6. - Top - End - #96

Oddly enough, before this page I was all caught up in speculating what the characters would do, how Agatha and Albia would react to each other, etc. And then on actually reading the page, something about it shouted at me: "Volume III Prologue: the Dispersal of the Main Characters". Took me right out of story. That is, it seemed exceedingly obvious that Phil and Kaja had decided that the new Volume would start with Gil and Tarvek going this way, and Agatha going that way, and after several pages of re-introducing the characters and their relationships, they were now managing this by having Albia split them up. And then the disposition of the minor characters could be justified by conversations about this later on.

I think it was the point when, after I'd been wondering how big a deal it was that the Heterodyne talked back to the Goddess-Queen, Albia simply agreed with Agatha - because that wasn't going to be the point of the scene. I felt that the real point of this page was simply getting on with splitting everyone up.

Anyone else?
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

7. - Top - End - #97
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Krosp, the Jagers, Zeetha, Rakethorne, and Neena go with Agatha. Martellus has to come along.
    Gil & Tarvek take an army with them, and also the Spark of the Realm.
    I doubt there is room for all the bears on the expedition - will Albia agree to safeguard them? Or will they go back to Europa?
    Bang obviously has three choices - stay in England, go with Agatha and settle things with Zeetha, or go with Gil, of whom I think she is fond.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Krosp, the Jagers, Zeetha, Rakethorne, and Neena go with Agatha. Martellus has to come along.
    Not sure why Neena is in the list. It is true that she's princess we've seen the most of, but I don't see a reason for her leaving England at all.

...Well, apart from the Director, who might welcome a change of pace...

Also, I need to correct a previous comment - The frankencat is indeed designed to do for Tweedle what the wasp eater does for Agatha.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-03-25 at 11:53 AM.

9. - Top - End - #99
    Barbarian in the Playground

Da Boyz ain't gonna like this.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    Da Boyz ain't gonna like this.
    Understatement of the year.

Well, depends who stays with Agatha and what exactly their mission will be back in Europa.
    They'd probably agree with a „defend Mechanicsburg “ mission. Still wouldn't like though.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

11. - Top - End - #101

I predict it's just Dimo who is getting sent back, since he's become the fill-in Jaegergeneral, and someone needs to lead them during the coming fight. Oggie and Maxim would be more useful staying with Agatha and guarding her.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm torn between "Dimo is not going to like that at all" if all three are going back, and "Dimo will not be happy, but will at least accept it" if Maxim and Oggie stay".

Actually, Dimo is going to be unhappy either way - he hates being in charge.

Although - and I can't believe I forgot about him - Higgs is still unaccounted for. If Higgs goes with Agatha, Da Boyz will be happier about it.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Colossus in the Playground

I believe Dimo is being sent back as Agathas representative in the coming struggle. If the goal is truly mechanicsburg, it would be abhorrent to agatha to just leave its defense in the hands of gil or tarvek. It MUST be protected by the heterodyne or her representative, and a jaeger general is the next best thing.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

14. - Top - End - #104

SamuraiGuy

Neena goes to the island because Neena knows about the island and has studied the ancient civilization.
    I think Dimo is going back to rally the Jagers outside Mechanicsburg as guerrilla troops. I would not want to be the guard of a supply depot when the Jagers came calling. Or a scout.
    Higgs is a general, but not an acknowledged one. I think he goes with Agatha as a bodyguard - also, Agatha needs someone sneaky to keep an eye on Martellus, who absolutely cannot be trusted any further than I can throw a 400m container ship blocking the Suez canal.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Zeetha of course will be going with Agatha and that's another reason for Higgs to along. Gil and Dimo get along fairly well and now that Gil doesn't have Klaus in his head anymore, that more or less eliminates any large points of conflict with anyone for the moment. I really don't know what Bang is going to do, but my guess she's going with Agatha. There is something more going with her than we know right now.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

16. - Top - End - #106

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Not sure why Neena is in the list. It is true that she's princess we've seen the most of, but I don't see a reason for her leaving England at all.
    I very much fear that Neena may become the Hoffmann of the next exploration story arc, providing comic relief but also being strangely useful.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2021-03-26 at 01:32 PM.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    I very much fear that Neena may become the Hoffmann of the next exploration story arc, providing comic relief but also being strangely useful.
    Is it bad that my first reaction was „Who?“?
    Followed by „Oh right, the boyfriend of that molepeople princess. What's her name... Larana.“

Well, on the bright side there won't be a romcom element with this guest star.
    I hope.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

18. - Top - End - #108
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Too bad. It'd be fun to see Von Zinzer in that role again instead.

19. - Top - End - #109

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    Is it bad that my first reaction was „Who?“?
    Followed by „Oh right, the boyfriend of that molepeople princess. What's her name... Larana.“

Well, on the bright side there won't be a romcom element with this guest star.
    I hope.
    I still think Martellus is the "least useful, story wise" of the four royals. Maybe he and Neena will fall for each other and he'll finally give up on Agatha.

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Neena goes to the island because Neena knows about the island and has studied the ancient civilization.
    Thank you - that makes sense. I suspect she would be more useful for historical knowledge, though.

21. - Top - End - #111

I thought Hoffman was hilarious when he showed up with his kinetic absorption hammer.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Because Trelawney is going with Gil, Princess Neena can fulfill the 'speaks for England' role with Agatha's group instead, so she does have a purpose (I mean, I guess Rakethorn has some kind of rank in the British aristocracy, but a royal princess is much less complicated), if a modest one.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

23. - Top - End - #113

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Because Trelawney is going with Gil, Princess Neena can fulfill the 'speaks for England' role with Agatha's group instead, so she does have a purpose (I mean, I guess Rakethorn has some kind of rank in the British aristocracy, but a royal princess is much less complicated), if a modest one.
    My prediction: Albia is going to die before this is over, and Neena will become the new queen.

24. - Top - End - #114

Quote Originally Posted by geoduck View Post
    My prediction: Albia is going to die before this is over, and Neena will become the new queen.
    We've already kind of hit that story beat with the Master of Paris, though. I'd like to see something a little different here. Not saying we'll necessarily actually see anything different, but I'd like to

25. - Top - End - #115

BlueWizardGirl

Wow, Martellus and Seffie being likable. He wants his sister safe. She wants to help fight the Other. She also wants Gil, but I think she'd help him anyway. Also, she's not being a spoiled princess who wants her prince. In this scene, she comes across as genuinely caring about him.

26. - Top - End - #116
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

next comic, krosp meets his match!
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    I'm definitely team Seffie in that contest. From what we've seen, she honestly seems like a more decent person than Gil is, and a much better match for him than Agatha.
    Honestly either Seffie or Trelawney would probably make a better match for Gil than Agatha (frankly each prospective match is so potentially advantageous that Gil really ought to try and clone himself or something so he can marry both of them).

Unfortunately the Foglios seem deeply committed to keeping Agatha from picking any single relationship ever, making her rather like the ship stuck in the Suez Canal, not only can she not advance, but countless other impeded ships are stacked up behind her.
    Last edited by Mechalich; 2021-03-29 at 01:43 AM.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

28. - Top - End - #118

There's also the fact that Agatha is keenly aware of her responsibilities as a head of state; marriage, even for a family as fond of 'screw the rules, I'm the Heterodyne' as hers is, is as much a political reality as it is a romantic one, if romance even really enters into it. Granted, it was Cinderellagatha that made the little speech about the political realities of royal marriages, but I don't think it's a stretch to imagine that canon Agatha is equally aware of the difficulties she's facing.

All of Europa is watching her, and she knows it; her choice of suitor(s) is something that would be carefully studied even if the Other War wasn't still in play. With the whole mOther thing going on (and however many are actually aware of that), and the comparisons to Euphronisia and the Storm King... Agatha's romantic life would be a rocky one even if she had a single boy in mind.

29. - Top - End - #119

SamuraiGuy

Martellus actually cares about Seffie. That's a first, so far as I know.
    I'm assuming most of Seffie's luggage is offscreen. Only two hat boxes? Shocking.
    Based on personal experience, "Come here, cat" almost never works. Martellus may have been his usual brilliant stupid person by creating a talking cat that his life depends upon. Negotiations with a cat may not go smoothly.
    I remember that Seffie helped Martellus hunt Agatha, but did it separately so that Agatha wouldn't hate her as she does him. I do not trust her to be a decent person, let alone a better person than Gil.
    Anyway, we're going to have all the love triangles for the next hundred or so strips, aren't we?

30. - Top - End - #120
    Colossus in the Playground

Seffie is not nice. She is obsessed with landing gil, and ruthless enough to do what it takes to win him. I can see her going full yandere over this as she is after him because she is obsessed with HIM, not with marrying the ruler of europa or whatever. As for seffie and martellus, im pretty sure it was established when they first bumped into each other that they do truly love each other as brother and sister, no matter how rare such feelings are in that family of back stabbers. Kind of like tarvek and violetta only less violent. But the fact that martellus does in fact have his own weasel fix for his condition means he has no real need to be attached to agatha, but he will likely at least pretend he does as an excuse to stay nearby. Thats very dangerous, because now they dont know he is free and might choose to turn on them when it would gain him enough.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."