New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141530 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

Poor Seffie, you don't seem to understand that you already lost years ago.

People seem to be suggesting matches for Gil which would be more politically advantageous. But Gil has never been keen on a political marriage, and has been looking for more of a partner.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Honestly either Seffie or Trelawney would probably make a better match for Gil than Agatha.
    How so?
    Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    all the love triangles
    Thread name ?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    How so?

Thread name ?
    I will refrain from a formal nomination (Manga Shoggoth, please note) for a while, just to see if my prediction plays out.
    Also, I feel the need for a more sciencey name - "Equiangular Love Triangles" or some such.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

I will refrain from a formal nomination (Manga Shoggoth, please note) for a while, just to see if my prediction plays out.
    "Prediction" is a weird spelling of "description of the entire comic".
    Also, I feel the need for a more sciencey name - "Equiangular Love Triangles" or some such.
    A Love Diacosiapentacontaheptagon?
    Forum Wisdom

5. - Top - End - #125
    Colossus in the Playground

How so?

Thread name ?
    Alliances. Seffie would bring in the strumvorius family and their supporters to the barons side. Thats a LOT of nobles suddenly supporting him that otherwise would be neutral at best or oppose him. Meanwhile trawleny would be a link to albia and the power of england. Honestly, she is far less of a good match. She isnt an actual power other than her fame as "spark of the realm" meanwhile agatha is in much the same position. She is the heterodyne which means she has a lot of infamy connected to her name, and only brings one small city to the table in terms of territory. She doesnt have any real political connections or alliances that would benefit gil, all she brings is her sparky abilities to the table which are impressive indeed. The best thing she brings to the empire is the odds that the heir to the throne will be an absurdly powerful spark considering who the parents are. But that may be offset by the distrust her name brings. Even without knowing her mother is lucrezia mongfish AND The Other, aside from the heterodyne boys, that family has been famous for being murderous monsters for generations. So yeah, spark of the realm is likely a better option for gil. A spark wife, means heirs are likely to be strong, at least a toehold with england and a likely decently strong alliance there. And no negative baggage dragging your name through the mud for associating with her.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Alliances.
    Oh, I thought you meant personality-wise.
    She isnt an actual power other than her fame as "spark of the realm" meanwhile agatha is in much the same position. She is the heterodyne which means she has a lot of infamy connected to her name, and only brings one small city to the table in terms of territory. She doesnt have any real political connections or alliances that would benefit gil, all she brings is her sparky abilities to the table which are impressive indeed. The best thing she brings to the empire is the odds that the heir to the throne will be an absurdly powerful spark considering who the parents are. But that may be offset by the distrust her name brings.
    You are forgetting the Jaegerkin and the other Mechanigsburg monsters, they're a pretty powerful bunch. And what's more they're reliable which is very rare in Europa. Mechanigsburg may only be a single city but it's the most powerful city on the continent after London and (maybe) Paris. There doesn't seem to have been any comment that Andronicus was marrying down, too.

As for reputation, I think everybody knows she takes after the Heterodyne Boys rather than the Old Heterodynes, by now. Paris was heels over heads for her so I don't think she'd damage Gilgamesh's prestige that much.
    Forum Wisdom

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ogre in the Playground

Alliances. Seffie would bring in the strumvorius family and their supporters to the barons side. Thats a LOT of nobles suddenly supporting him that otherwise would be neutral at best or oppose him. Meanwhile trawleny would be a link to albia and the power of england. Honestly, she is far less of a good match. She isnt an actual power other than her fame as "spark of the realm" meanwhile agatha is in much the same position. She is the heterodyne which means she has a lot of infamy connected to her name, and only brings one small city to the table in terms of territory. She doesnt have any real political connections or alliances that would benefit gil, all she brings is her sparky abilities to the table which are impressive indeed. The best thing she brings to the empire is the odds that the heir to the throne will be an absurdly powerful spark considering who the parents are. But that may be offset by the distrust her name brings. Even without knowing her mother is lucrezia mongfish AND The Other, aside from the heterodyne boys, that family has been famous for being murderous monsters for generations. So yeah, spark of the realm is likely a better option for gil. A spark wife, means heirs are likely to be strong, at least a toehold with england and a likely decently strong alliance there. And no negative baggage dragging your name through the mud for associating with her.
    I have this image that if Gil married Seffie, they would be very happy...until they had their first heir. Then Gil would face hundreds of potentially fatal "accidents" every day, all while various family members tell the young baroness how they would make the best regent to guide the little tyke. It will be worse when they have their second child...

Miss Thorpe is much safer, especially if you count the number of times Gil will have to rescue Agatha from some alternate reality because of the words "OOO what does this do?"

Oh course there's the problem that one night after the wedding Trelawney might moan out "Oh, Wooster, yes!"
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Duly Noted.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I have this image that if Gil married Seffie, they would be very happy...until they had their first heir. Then Gil would face hundreds of potentially fatal "accidents" every day, all while various family members tell the young baroness how they would make the best regent to guide the little tyke. It will be worse when they have their second child...
    I suspect that Seffie would have a few words to say about that. As would at least one of her relatives. Add to this that Gil himself is not going to be a safe target to shoot at.

In fact I'm not sure that the child wouldn't be the bigger target (so to speak). After all, Klaus kept Gill hidden while he was growing up.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

9. - Top - End - #129

Oh, I thought you meant personality-wise.
    You are forgetting the Jaegerkin and the other Mechanigsburg monsters, they're a pretty powerful bunch. And what's more they're reliable which is very rare in Europa. Mechanigsburg may only be a single city but it's the most powerful city on the continent after London and (maybe) Paris. There doesn't seem to have been any comment that Andronicus was marrying down, too.

As for reputation, I think everybody knows she takes after the Heterodyne Boys rather than the Old Heterodynes, by now. Paris was heels over heads for her so I don't think she'd damage Gilgamesh's prestige that much.
    Its not that powerful really, at least not so far as projecting power goes. Its just never been taken since the heterodynes formed it. I will admit the jaegers are a powerful army, if possibly on the small side right now. Meanwhile seffie can likely bring in an entire network of nobles and their turf as "allies" (since im sure backstabbery will be rampant, but its good for officially announcing how much support you have) As for the storm king, thats kind of confusing, did he even get the chance to actually rule? It seems like he and his buddies pulled a baron wulfenbach and united europa by force against some threat, then he vanished shortly after the victory party. Like if aragorn got crowned king of gondor then vanished into thin air. He also seemed to be very smitten with his heterodyne lady so it may have been elss political and more personal on his part. Sort of like the current gil/agatha pairing. She isnt a nobody, far from it, but she also isnt some regional powerhouse that will gain huge political points for linking them together.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

10. - Top - End - #130
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Stabbey View Post
    People seem to be suggesting matches for Gil which would be more politically advantageous. But Gil has never been keen on a political marriage, and has been looking for more of a partner.
    In an ideal world (Gil's ideal world, at least), that's what would happen. But, as Violetta pointed out to Tarvek back in the Castle arc , Gil and Agatha have inherent power disparities between them (ruler of the Empire, versus ruler of a historically problematic state), and they have already had a couple fights based off that power disparity. On top of that, their personal responsibilities will keep taking them away from each other as well, with Agatha wanting to focus on Mechanicsburg and wandering heroing while Gil will keep getting pulled into dealing with Empire issues (as is happening right now).

On top of that, while Gil is likely primarily fixated on Agatha, Trelawney and Seffie both offer things - both personally and professionally - to him.

Gil obviously likes Trelawney, even before he met Agatha - as seen by him having all her books - and she gives him a chance to be with a strong female spark just like he would have with Agatha. Plus, that gives a very strong alliance between England and the Empire.

Seffie may well fall into the "do you know how boring it can be to be with someone who doesn't understand what you are talking about." She may have picked up some stuff from her education and her family, but she's not a Spark and thus behind Agatha and Trelawney there. But, as Traab pointed out above, she brings a lot of political legitimacy to Gil, and also frankly a lot of political skill - Gil may be a great spark, but I haven't seen anything to suggest he's even a mediocre politician. On top of that, Seffie is from a personal point of view the best partner for Gil as she would have the smallest amount of split loyalties. Agatha has Mechanicsburg and the Heterodyne legacy. Trelawney still has ties to Queen and Country. Seffie has none of that - if she becomes Baroness, there's pretty much nothing we've seen which would drag her away. She would be able to devote her full energies to helping Gil and the Empire.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    Agatha only likes Gil because he's the first person who didn't treat her like an incompetent child. Now that Agatha has worked through her insecurities in that realm, I agree with Violetta's analysis, and think Agatha should probably end up with Tarvek (if she doesn't go full heterodyne and just keep playing everybody for her own personal benefit). That said, I would argue that all four of Agatha's current suitors have predominantly selfish reasons for liking her (RIP Lars).
    Agatha only likes Gil because of stuff from way back in Chapter 2? Insecurities she's long since overcome? Very recently, neither of them noticed that the music had stopped five minutes ago, even though they weren't even talking. That doesn't give me the impression that her feelings for Gil run that shallow.

I certainly don't trust Seffie yet. She's a very new character. It took me a long time to trust Tarvek after his betrayal at Strumhalten. He decided that letting the Other roam free to keep Agatha safe from the Baron was more important than what she wanted. (And, I should add, Agatha and Gil felt pretty similarly about containing the Other.)

I am wondering whether the introduction of Princess Neena is supposed to be setting a pairing for Tarvek.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    next comic, krosp meets his match!
    Krosp is RIGHT THERE, he's seeing the Empress, his senses should be telling him she's different from the ship's cat he knew before. He's also seeing Martellus having an attack and get relief from holding her, just as Agatha does with her weasel. AND he's hearing Seffie and Martellus talk about Albia/s plans, as if those weren't clear before. It might be good for Krosp to amscray back to Agatha now.

13. - Top - End - #133

SamuraiGuy

Agatha getting married is the last strip in the last book. She says "I do", probably standing atop the smoking corpse of one last desperate assassin, and Finis.
    Who that will be I don't know - neither the last desperate assassin nor the groom.
    It's entire possible that [Gil|Tarvek] will die heroically and with their dying breath tell her not to mourn them overlong and to marry [Tarvek|Gil].

What Gil needs most in a spouse is not more troops or more territory to rule; the Wulfenbach Empire was pretty much as strong, and as large, as they wanted it to be before things went south. What he needs is someone he can trust to help him mind the store. I think the Baron would have benefitted from a suitable helpmate for his part. This is assuming that the Polar Lords can be driven back, which I anticipate will be accomplished. Remember Gil before the gates of Mechanicsburg? Now give him Tarvek to help him and a few days to prepare. Long term, the Empire is restored.

Using Mechanicsburg as a base, assorted Heterodynes have made a pretty fair run at conquering Europa; the Storm King's alliance was formed to fight the Heterodynes. In GGverse, Spark power is the best power, and the Heterodynes have been crazy-strong Sparks for generations, and built a city full of Sparky inventions, and built armies equipped with Sparky stuff - for example, the Jagerdraught. I would not downplay the importance of an unconquerable fortress city filled with loyal, well-trained, well-equipped troops and lots of cool Spark tech. Remember, in Mechanicsburg even the bakers are dangerous. Agatha is probably the equal of the Master of Paris until she achieves her breakthrough to god-Queen (scheduled for one of the later books, I'd wager), at which point she's the most powerful person on the Continent and second (probably) to Albia. If Gil wants pure power, Agatha's unassailable fortress plus Sparky genius outdoes anything the nobles loyal to Seffie can provide.

I'm afraid that if I were Gil I would never fully trust Trelawny. She might come to love him with all her heart and soul; that would mean next to nothing if Albia snapped her fingers and exerted her queenly authority. From what we've seen, Albia can even possess Trelawny; how would you like to have to always wonder if that's your wife looking at you, or Albia?

In conclusion, Gil's best match is probably Agatha, with Seffie second - assuming she really does love him and doesn't just want him as "most powerful bachelor in Europa".
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-03-29 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Corrected typo

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

14. - Top - End - #134

PirateCaptain

I may have forgotten something, but why isn't Colette, Master of Paris in the contention? Powerful spark? Check. Politically well-connected? Check. Single woman approximately Gil's age? Check.

15. - Top - End - #135

Marrying seffie wont grant him more land to rule, it will grant him more nobles in his empire that are willing to support him, on the surface at least. If you want to maintain control over an empire you need to ensure you directly control enough of a power base to convince the majority to support you. The more you control outright, the fewer will be willing to cross you. Mechanicsburg is a nigh impregnable fortress, a fallback point beyond reproach and as such is invaluable, but the name heterodyne wont bring many supporters into your fold. Strumvorious WILL bring a lot of names into the fold, even if you cant actually trust them beyond a certain small point.

To use an analogy, lets say gil outright controls a quarter of europe. That quarter is fully loyal to him and he can call on them for all their resources. Thats enough of a power base to bring in another quarter of europe under his banner. They have allied with him because they think he is strong enough to rule or they like his stance on issues, or are afraid if they dont he will smash and absorb them anyways, whatever. By marrying seffie he could get another quarter of the continent to declare their support, leaving him defacto ruler of europe because even that last quarter who hates him isnt strong enough to do anything about it when he declares himself to be in charge. Obviously thats simplifying matters greatly but its a general way of looking at it.

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    I may have forgotten something, but why isn't Colette, Master of Paris in the contention? Powerful spark? Check. Politically well-connected? Check. Single woman approximately Gil's age? Check.
    Because she is the ruler of her own country. You dont go up to someone like albia and collette and go "Hey, wanna get hitched and unite our nations?" And expect that to go over well.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-03-29 at 06:43 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SZbNAhL View Post
    Being hardwired into the city may preclude a relatively normal marriage.

Maybe. Who knows.

17. - Top - End - #137

NecromancerGuy

Love convex deltahedron? Gyroelongated square bipyramid of love? Love biaugmented pentagonal antiprism?

18. - Top - End - #138
    Troll in the Playground

Marrying seffie wont grant him more land to rule, it will grant him more nobles in his empire that are willing to support him, on the surface at least. If you want to maintain control over an empire you need to ensure you directly control enough of a power base to convince the majority to support you. The more you control outright, the fewer will be willing to cross you. Mechanicsburg is a nigh impregnable fortress, a fallback point beyond reproach and as such is invaluable, but the name heterodyne wont bring many supporters into your fold. Strumvorious WILL bring a lot of names into the fold, even if you cant actually trust them beyond a certain small point.
    It would also greatly increase the legitimacy of the Wulfenbach Empire. The Wulfenbach House was a minor one and Klaus acknowledged that this hindered his legitimacy. Even though he technically opposed 'peace' he was constantly fighting uprisings such as the one Moloch was part of and others mentioned by the circus. The major nobles of Europe were smart enough to not challenge him directly (until he was wounded and vulnerable in Mechanicsburg), but they had no investment in supporting the Empire because it had no connection to their power base. Seffie, by contrast, is part of what appears to be the oldest and most important noble lineage in Europa - a sort of GG Hapsburgs - and her marriage to Gil would instantly elevate House Wulfenbach because Gil and Seffie's heir would merge both lineages. However, it's very interesting that the Baron, via overlay, attempts to set Gil up with Trelawny, not Seffie, even though Gil seems to be at least vaguely aware of her interest. It's possible that Klaus was/is aware of links between House Sturmvoraus and the Other and wished to avoid any such partnership.

Regardless of choice though, Gil needs to get married and he needs to produce an heir ASAP. He's in his mid-twenties now and he's remarkably cavalier in terms of risking his imperial flesh. It would be extremely valuable for the Empire for him to produce any sort of legitimate heir whatsoever. To a lesser extent this applies to Martellus as well. Neither of the two have the time to waste mooning over Agatha. They need to consolidate their respect support and they need to do it now.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

19. - Top - End - #139

SamuraiGuy

Collette is an interesting choice, but I don't know if she can leave Paris for long. Like Albia, she's integrated into the land she rules.

Another take on marrying Seffie - she may love Gil, and want the best for him, but we've got ample testimony from Tarvek, Martellus, Violetta, and Zola that the entire family is murderous, the Knights of Jove are co-opted by the Mongfish family, and that their support from the other nobles may be coerced and / or wasped. Which is to say, marrying Seffie might make Gil an even bigger target while getting him exactly zero (or maybe one or two) loyal allies.

Remember - Grandmother Sturmvarous tells Zola that she's just failed at trying to take over Paris, that Collette will smash her when she finds out - and then protects her. And now Zola's minions, the Polar Lords, are attacking toward Mechanicsburg. No, I do not think just happily trusting Seffie's family to bring in loyal royals is a good idea.

What the Storm King lineage might bring Gil is some affection from peasants. The old stories are popular. But that was the reason for the Storm King / "Zola Heterodyne" marriage - it doesn't work so well if it's the Storm King's sister and some random Baron.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Also, how many of the Sturmvoraus/Blitzengaard/Selnikov/whatever are even left at this point? These guys drop harder than Freys after the Red Wedding.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    Marrying Seffie would gain Gil one very important ally in Martellus, who from all we have seen genuinely supports his sister. Since Gil doesn't really have an empire at this point, he and Martellus aren't even directly adversaries at this point.
    Martellus may well love his sister - he definitely likes her - but he wants empire, so does Gilgamesh, though Gilgamesh seems to want it mostly out of duty, and their views seem incompatible at first glance.

Were Seffie to marry Gilgamesh and genuinely start supporting him in his agenda, it is not obvious how Martellus would react. Choosing sister over power just doesn't seem like him.

So I guess it would depend on Grandma and the rest of the Sturmvoraus faction, who at the moment seem to be playing all sides against the middle, and what was really behind their "support the baron and have him marry Seffie" plan - nothing about the storm king conspiracy points to people who want to follow the leader rather than manipulate him to their own ends - and how it has changed when Martellus is in play.

I think the best outcome for everyone right now (including Europa in general) is as follows:

Gil marries Seffie and continues to operate team Wulfenbach, no longer as an empire but as a roving force of pirates/peacekeepers/troubleshooters.

Seffie marries Gil and becomes his loyal advisor/schemer, keeping team Wulfenbach's place in the world order secure.

Agatha marries Tarvek and becomes the much-loved but often absent Heterodyne, alternating between ruling Mechanicsburg (actually mostly handled by Tarvek) and running around doing hero stuff with Gil.

Tarvek renounces his Storm King claim (due to having been technically dead in the castle arc) and marries Agatha, becoming her loyal advisor/schemer, keeping Mechanicsburg's place in the world order secure.

Martellus takes Krosp's advice and cuts his losses with Agatha, becoming Storm King and ushering in peace and stability in Europa.

Trelawney moves on to other endeavors, with her short-lived but fondly-remembered romance with the Baron spawning many a pulp serial to come.

Violetta, Snaug, and Sanaa compete for the affections of Von Zinzer in a reality tv style showdown hosted by Zeetha and Oggie, which becomes a huge hit in the Mechanicsburg tourist scene, but which Von Zinzer is entirely unaware of.

Krosp secretly runs a shadow government behind the scenes of everything, eventually becoming the primary antagonist of Girl Genius: The Next Generation, a gaslamp sci-fi in which the moody, unstable Lars Heterodyne seeks to reclaim his birthright as Storm King while the innocent, good-hearted Wulfenbach twins are corrupted by their rivalry for Lars' affections...
    I like it, but how about this instead?

In an uneasy alliance, Agatha, Gilgamesh, Tarvek, and Martellus defeat the other in an epic time war, losing Tarvek in the past due to a time travel accident they can't reverse. The survivors dedicate themselves to peace in Europe, burying their differences for the common good, each giving up something in the process.

Martellus runs a new storm king empire. He has demonstrated repeatedly that he's the best potential ruler in that competition of the mainland sparks, able to inspire loyalty, to play politics with the best, to keep a level head most of the time rather than acting based on emotions, and to build institutions. He may be a romantic, but he knows how to be pragmatic and cut his losses. (This at least seems something we can agree on. ). He works tirelessly to reclaim the wastelands and build a lasting peace with his dynasty firmly in charge. Like Klaus before him he gets to mope about how he never has enough time for his experiments. He marries sensibly for political advantage and ushers in a golden age for the heartland of Europe that lasts two or three generations, which is longer than most.

Agatha and Gilgamesh marry with Agatha in charge of Mechanicsburg and the nearby areas as a border march of the storm king empire on its eastern border with the unstable remnants of the Polar Lords realm, where abominations run mad and spark warlords vie for dominion over the ruins. The feudal contract between the empire and Mechanicsburg setting out the rights and duties of each party is one of the wonders of the world.

Agatha runs the Castle as a fortress souvenir shop (the seneschal approves), with Gil in charge of developing funny and beautiful sparky toys and Agatha designing deadly ones. There are special guided tours of the Castle for thrill-seekers who've signed waivers. (Some things never change). Mechanicsburg also serves as the empire's closest port for air travel (and trade) with Skifander.

...Zeetha and Higgs run security for the Skifandrian-Mechanicsburg trade company run by emperor Krosp and Lady Krosp.

During the time war Trelawny managed to save Wooster, whose death thus in retrospect turns out to have been greatly exaggerated. They settle down together in London where they serve her majesty by training new agents, when not going on missions together. They finally marry by divine fiat, as her majesty is getting tired of their "we are only friends" act.

Seffie gets over her long-held school-girl crush on Gilgamesh after Dr. Rakethorn (shirtless) saves her from certain death, and takes over grandma's role in the storm king conspiracy, turning the order of Jove and the rest of the lot into a fashion society and relocating it to Paris. Surviving Sturmvoraus sparks who disagree get to find out how to run their experiments on a budget when she cuts off funding. She occasionally visits England in pursuit of her new crush, Dr. Rakethorn.

Tarvek ends up marooned in the past where he realizes that he is, in fact, van Rijn, and sets things in motion, creating a nice stable time loop. He may be the tragic hero of the story, but he got to work with all of the muses, and that's a decent second best.

Von Zinzer runs the Mechanicsburg public works office assisted by Sanaa. They probably marry.

Any time travel equipment not destroyed during the war is handed over to the Dreen, who disappear it and leave, closing the extradimensional rifts behind them.

And finally Othar Trygvassen, Gentleman Adventurer, sets out on the greatest adventure of his life: saving the downtrodden in the Polar Lords' empire. He is accompanied by his trusty girl sidekick Violetta. After years of hard work they lead a revolution that overthrows the spark warlords and unifies the lands of the east in a republic based on life, liberty, and ass-kicking for all who deserve it. In the final battle Othar dies in frankly ridiculous circumstances (harpooned, electrified, fried, poisoned, bisected, set on fire, and crushed by a steamroller, that's when the explosives go off leaving a glowing glassy crater where he stood and fought) but his dream lives on, and post victory Violette is elected first president. They never find Othar's body.

(Wait, what about Fräulein Snaug? Let's just say that Dr. Mittelmind wiped her brain too thoroughly on her next birthday, as he was preparing for work on his next project, the gigantic spider... A sad ending, you might think, but it is all part of the job: "Happy birthday to me")
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2021-03-30 at 05:25 PM.

22. - Top - End - #142

Looks like love at first sight, kitty style.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deliverance View Post
    Martellus runs a new storm king empire. He has demonstrated repeatedly that he's the best potential ruler in that competition of the mainland sparks, able to inspire loyalty, to play politics with the best, to keep a level head most of the time rather than acting based on emotions, and to build institutions. He may be a romantic, but he knows how to be pragmatic and cut his losses. (This at least seems something we can agree on. ). He works tirelessly to reclaim the wastelands and build a lasting peace with his dynasty firmly in charge. Like Klaus before him he gets to mope about how he never has enough time for his experiments. He marries sensibly for political advantage and ushers in a golden age for the heartland of Europe that lasts two or three generations, which is longer than most.
    Somewhat intriguingly, unlike both Gil and Tarvek, Martellus does not appear to have any significant rivals for his affections at this time. It is possible that Zola and her supporters were intending to set up something between the new Storm King and the Queen of the Dawn, but that was foiled in Paris (though, perhaps, if Martellus does return to Europa to fight the invasion that plotline might re-emerge). Also, while that particular match makes political sense in spades, those two would kill each other inside twenty-four hours.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

24. - Top - End - #144
    Dwarf in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by locksmith of lo View Post
    next comic, krosp meets his match!
    i stick to the simple predictions!
    It's "locksmith of LOVE!" not "LO!"

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    So we're back to the romcom. Hairball edition.

Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-03-31 at 12:28 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

26. - Top - End - #146

Meanwhile on Othar's Twitter: Othar knows his story conventions.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

27. - Top - End - #147

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Kantaki View Post
    So we're back to the romcom. Hairball edition.

Much easier to follow than the human edition.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Troll in the Playground

Totally believable, for cats.

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    I'm hoping we get one of those scenes where one cat - probably the Empress - screams and wails and howls in the face of the other cat minute after minute after minute, to the point you think mayhem is going to break out any second, and the other cat just sits there stoically and takes it.

29. - Top - End - #149

SamuraiGuy

Feline mating rituals are tradition-bound as human.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic
    Perfect timing Krosp.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")