New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

Quote Originally Posted by HeeJay View Post
    Spoken like someone with neither first hand not second hand experiences about a polyamorous relationship.
    Slayerx specifically stated that the drama skipped would be the 'but whose heart will be broken and how the rejected character handles it' part.

2. - Top - End - #182
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by slayerx View Post
    ...if i had to pick, i'd say they may go with Gil. Not only was he the original ship, but from what we've seen it really does feel like Gil would not be happy with any one else; he wants a true partner and Agatha is the only one that does it for him. Seffie is neither a spark nor an adventurer; her crush on him is cute, but he would never be happy with her. Thrope is better fit, but he seems to always keep a distance between himself and her; seems like his respect for her has him treating her too much like a celebrity than an equal. Tarvek i could more easily see him moving on to someone else
    If Tarvek the Snake tricks Agatha into giving up Gil, Miss Thorpe and he would make very good second choices.

I can see her saying "Wooster is gone; I will never love again, so why not a handsome, kind, powerful spark? Besides, it will serve my Queen."

And Gil saying "Agatha is gone, I will never love again, so why not a beautiful, understanding, powerful spark? Besides, I need an heir."

The Foglios will just start drawing Gil with Klaus's facial features.

Would Agatha suddenly become ok if Gil started having an open love affair with Seffie and Thorpe?
    *scribbles request for Xxxenophile : Girl Genius Edition *
    Last edited by Scarlet Knight; 2021-04-06 at 03:45 PM.
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

3. - Top - End - #183
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post

*scribbles request for Xxxenophile : Girl Genius Edition *
    They are going to need to do a ten volume set of that.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by wingnutx View Post
    They are going to need to do a ten volume set of that.
    At least one of which could be about Skifandrian holiday traditions. Maybe we could finally get an answer on the tea cozy mystery?
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I recognize Da Gurlz in the front, and Krosp, but who are the two in the back?
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

6. - Top - End - #186
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    I recognize Da Gurlz in the front, and Krosp, but who are the two in the back?
    Rakthorn and Higgs

7. - Top - End - #187
    Titan in the Playground

Rakthorn and Higgs
    The hair is too red for Rakethorn and the sailor lacks Higgs' ponytail. I think the second figure is just a random sailor, no idea about the first.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Bugbear in the Playground

I'm thinking the redhead is Martellus. The sailor-guy, I'm not sure of though

9. - Top - End - #189
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    I'm thinking the redhead is Martellus. The sailor-guy, I'm not sure of though
    The frame looks wrong for Martellus - he is tall and broad, while this guy is thinner. Rakethorn is a better fit, but the hair is wrong - Rakethorn's hair is thick and untidy, this guy has hair slicked back.

The sailor uniform is wrong for Higgs - he's been in full white and grey, not blue.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #190
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    If Tarvek the Snake tricks Agatha into giving up Gil, Miss Thorpe and he would make very good second choices.

I can see her saying "Wooster is gone; I will never love again, so why not a handsome, kind, powerful spark? Besides, it will serve my Queen."

And Gil saying "Agatha is gone, I will never love again, so why not a beautiful, understanding, powerful spark? Besides, I need an heir."

The Foglios will just start drawing Gil with Klaus's facial features.
    I feel like given how their roles are shaped, it's probably going to be Agatha and Tarvek, and then...either Gil and Seffie or Gil and Thorpe, I'm really not sure.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

11. - Top - End - #191

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I feel like given how their roles are shaped, it's probably going to be Agatha and Tarvek, and then...either Gil and Seffie or Gil and Thorpe, I'm really not sure.
    I'm still in team "sorta-open marriage" with Agatha, Gil, Tarvek, Thorpe, and Seffie. Having said that, there's been a lot in this strip about the old Storm King / Heterodyne nuptials, and how that is one of the fundamental myths of Europa. Assuming Tarvek does become Storm King, that would be a nice wrap-up to the continuing arc.

I'm also not certain that one of Gil or Tarvek won't die heroically, telling the other one to marry Agatha and make her happy with their dying breath.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

12. - Top - End - #192
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

I'm also not certain that one of Gil or Tarvek won't die heroically, telling the other one to marry Agatha and make her happy with their dying breath.
    We know Gil survives at least a while past Agatha freeing Mechanicsburg from the time bubble.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

13. - Top - End - #193
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so what does Zola want in Mechanicsburg? The Other is terrified of the place, but Zola clearly wants to control it. Could there be something that could kill the Other for good there? This puts a different spin on what Klaus did. Maybe he froze Mechanicsburg in time to protect it from the Other?
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

14. - Top - End - #194

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Ok, so what does Zola want in Mechanicsburg? The Other is terrified of the place, but Zola clearly wants to control it. Could there be something that could kill the Other for good there? This puts a different spin on what Klaus did. Maybe he froze Mechanicsburg in time to protect it from the Other?
    I keep saying this - Zola is not a free agent. So far as we know, she is completely under the merciless control of Grandma Sturvorous. Assuming that she's acting on her own behalf, or that her actions are rational paths toward her own self-interest, is a dubious proposition.

The question is, how does the Polar Lords attacking Mechanicsburg serve the interests of the Sturmvorous / Blitzengard clans?

15. - Top - End - #195
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

The question is, how does the Polar Lords attacking Mechanicsburg serve the interests of the Sturmvorous / Blitzengard clans?
    Because of its significance to Gil.

After all, how much effort has he put into penetrating the Time Bubble?

They're forcing him to take the field militarily.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

...And we have a little throwaway reference to the novels, where there's a line of maudlin comments (including Maxim's "I have never luffed"), and the text notes Dimo thinking that he knits socks, but he doesn't see why he should spread that around...

Ah, multimedia...

(ahem)

We are pre-supposing that Zola is directly involved. This may be something that she set up and is rumbling on and increasingly going out of control because she's tied up with Grandma.

And as to why X wants Mechanicsberg, well Klaus (time-stopping it) and Gil (guarding it, trying to break in) are going to so much effort that there must be something vitally important in there!!!
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-04-09 at 10:46 AM.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

I think poeple may too focused on Zola and seem to forget that this could be lucrezia. Sure Zola as the queen of dawn has been working the polar lords, but she was doing so as part of Lucrezia's own scheming. Lucrezia believes that Zola is another one of her; Zola is both working together with lucrezia to advance her conquest, while at the same time hiding the fact that she is working her own game at the same time.

And there is one thing in Mechanicsburg that Lucrezia would want and that's klaus himself. Klaus used the time stop because he was aware he was infected with a slaver and so he found a way to remove himself from the board (while also trying and failing to contain Agatha aswell). If Lucrezia can take mechanicburg, she can free Klaus and use him against everyone else.

18. - Top - End - #198
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

If Lucrezia can take mechanicburg, she can free Klaus and use him against everyone else.
    He'd be too much of a risk.

He's already shown he can subvert her commands and bypass the intent behind her orders.

The utter damage he could do...

19. - Top - End - #199
    Ettin in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Well, what Lucrezias do we know of at the moment?

We've got the Anevka, which has appeared since as a beetleborg and killed Wooster in England. That one disappeared.
    We've got the Muse of Time, who I believe hasn't appeared since Agatha freed her in the Grand Library in Paris.
    We've got Agatha-Lucy, who's been removed from Agatha and stored in a container. Did Anevka steal that container, or does Albia have it now?
    We've got Zola, who is pretending to be Lucrezia, but has her copy of Lucy bottled away. She was seen in Paris, and was last seen with Tarvek's grandmother.

I don't think Anevka's able to move fast enough to attack the Dome AND lead the Polar Lords. So she's likely out, but she could be the figurehead.
    Muse of Time doesn't seem the sort to expose herself, so any Polar Lord interactions would be done via cat's paws.
    Agatha-Lucy isn't likely active in any event, and I expect Zola will keep her from rejoining the group and exposing her secret.
    Zola was in trouble, but picked up help from Grandmama. How beneficial this help is remains to be seen.

I figure that either Zola is leading a crusade to free her "dear, imprisoned comrade Klaus", who she expects to be quite compliant when she gets to him, or Anevka has convinced the Polar Lords that the Kestle or the Dyne is the key to their dominance. Both seem viable and in-character, especially given Anevka's change in appearance. If it is Anevka, then the Polar Lords have sufficient leadership to get to business without her, freeing her to tackle Agatha.
    Spoiler: My inventory:
    Show

1 Sentient Sword
    1 Jammy Dodger (I was promised tea)
    1 Godwin Point.

Quote Originally Posted by Kairos Theodosian
    It appears someone will have to saddle my goat, for we now must ride out in glorious battle.

20. - Top - End - #200
    Titan in the Playground

The snailberry joke ought to have happened in Paris.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Troll in the Playground

It's possible that Zola/Lucrezia want Mechanicsburg because they, being time travelers, are aware of the likelihood of the extradimensional monster's existence and wish to set it free/harness its power/use it as a gateway/etc.

It's worth noting that the overall plot is, and has been from a very early date, being manipulated by beings out of time or from higher dimensions, such as the Dreen. So access to an extremely powerful creature of that nature could be vitally important.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    The snailberry joke ought to have happened in Paris.
    Aww, come on. In Girl Genius, Paris is not the place known for snails as a delicacy, nor any place in France. Mechanicsburg is.
    I'm pretty much the opposite of concise. If I fail to get to the point, please ask me and I'm happy to (attempt to) clarify.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Calemyr View Post
    Well, what Lucrezias do we know of at the moment?

We've got the Anevka, which has appeared since as a beetleborg and killed Wooster in England. That one disappeared.
    We've got the Muse of Time, who I believe hasn't appeared since Agatha freed her in the Grand Library in Paris.
    We've got Agatha-Lucy, who's been removed from Agatha and stored in a container. Did Anevka steal that container, or does Albia have it now?
    We've got Zola, who is pretending to be Lucrezia, but has her copy of Lucy bottled away. She was seen in Paris, and was last seen with Tarvek's grandmother.

I don't think Anevka's able to move fast enough to attack the Dome AND lead the Polar Lords. So she's likely out, but she could be the figurehead.
    Muse of Time doesn't seem the sort to expose herself, so any Polar Lord interactions would be done via cat's paws.
    Agatha-Lucy isn't likely active in any event, and I expect Zola will keep her from rejoining the group and exposing her secret.
    Zola was in trouble, but picked up help from Grandmama. How beneficial this help is remains to be seen.

I figure that either Zola is leading a crusade to free her "dear, imprisoned comrade Klaus", who she expects to be quite compliant when she gets to him, or Anevka has convinced the Polar Lords that the Kestle or the Dyne is the key to their dominance. Both seem viable and in-character, especially given Anevka's change in appearance. If it is Anevka, then the Polar Lords have sufficient leadership to get to business without her, freeing her to tackle Agatha.

One thing we should also take into account is that their could be more lucrezia's running around by this point. She pointed out that she has upgraded her beacon engine so that she no longer needs a relative to be "called" and has a much wider variety of choices now. We aren't necessarily limited to just the versions of lucrezia that we know. I'd say there is a good chance that some new character we'll meet in the future will end up being another lucrezia.

24. - Top - End - #204

And there is one thing in Mechanicsburg that Lucrezia would want and that's klaus himself. Klaus used the time stop because he was aware he was infected with a slaver and so he found a way to remove himself from the board (while also trying and failing to contain Agatha aswell). If Lucrezia can take mechanicburg, she can free Klaus and use him against everyone else.
    Huge assumption on your part that Lucrezia can free Klaus if she can take Mechanicsburg.

Gilgamesh's technicians can't come anywhere close to the center of the time stop.
    https://www.girlgeniusonline.com/com...9#.YHIqyz-xVZU

Is it possible that with more time and effort they could? Or that Lucrezia has some super special knowledge that allows her to circumvent the effect? If the Foglios want it that way, sure, but we've been given no indication in the comic that this is the case, unless we take the strike towards Mechanicsburg itself as an indication in lieu of any other explanation.

So based on available information, Lucrezia taking Mechanicsburg and the extraction machinery and knowledge intact would allow her to start extracting other people distant from the time stop center, and that's about it.

Of course, much depends on how good her intel is on the extraction information; if she's less well informed, she might not know that the Wulfenbach teams couldn't even get close to Klaus.
    Last edited by Deliverance; 2021-04-10 at 05:57 PM.

25. - Top - End - #205

Don't forget that at least one Lucrezia is the Muse of Time, so it's safe to assume that she has at least some kind of working knowledge regarding time travel.

26. - Top - End - #206

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Don't forget that at least one Lucrezia is the Muse of Time, so it's safe to assume that she has at least some kind of working knowledge regarding time travel.
    1) Assuming that Lucrezia was the one who engineered the Muse of Time-Lucrezia's abilities - which seems like a natural conclusion for conservation of actors, and is what I'm betting on too (I'm expecting this to all end up with a no-holds-barred time war), but as far as I recall we really don't have any evidence either way.

2) Assuming that the Muse of Time-Lucrezia has a working knowledge regarding time travel, it isn't obvious whether a) such knowledge is shared with other Lucrezias (it might be something they only discover in the future), or b) whether the knowledge she has is relevant to dealing with the issue of the time stop.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Also,

(a) Lucrezia doesn't have to be able to free Klaus to make the attempt, she just has to think she is able to. And let's face it, modesty isn't one of her strong points.

(b) Even with the knowledge available to her, Lucrezia is still limited to the tools around her and - literally - the time she has available. (She does, however, have alternative options we don't know the full extent of.)

(c) It may not be a case of "I can" as "I must". She may not have the ability to succeed, but for some reason she has to make the attempt.
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2021-04-11 at 06:39 AM.

28. - Top - End - #208

I'm honestly expecting the Things Over Mechanicsburg to be the Outside Context Threat that force an at least temporary truce between Team Agatha, the Lu-Hive, and maybe even Klaus.

Muse-of-Time Lucrezia seems to have preceded Lu's going full-Singularity-brain-upload, at least roughly- the sequence Albia shows briefly of Lu-through-the-ages shows that Lucrezia had time-travel capabilities well before being fully mechanical (it's maybe a bit hard to tell with Phil's cartoony style, but the general features of the past Lus seems to indicate a significant spread of time spent gradually adding more cybernetic pieces), and the LuClone from the Summoning Engine (which, now that I think about it, is the only one we definitely know is still running around? Well, along with the trapped copy of herself in Zola, anyways) has made multiple references to not having had any organics for some time, and also seemed to be aware of the identity of the Muse of Time when Agatha briefly interacted with her.

So our two Lucrezias (ZoLu and LuClank) can be safely assumed to at least be aware of Muse-of-Time Lucrezias abilities, even if they most likely don't have full access to them currently, for reasons that I'm guessing have to do with not being in the correct body/bodies.

My guess at the moment is that Zola is using the resources of her trapped LuClone to try and get at Mechanicsburg because either

a) Petty revenge (and face it, she's almost certainly petty enough to ravage Europa because she's feeling slighted) or

b) Something in ZoLu's memories has tipped her off that the 'Dyne is... basically goddess-juice and can turn someone into a Queen (under the right circumstances and probably make them explode immediately after, but if Zola's on a 'Dyne-quest, either she's cocky enough to think she's one of the special ones, or the trapped LuClone is suppressing the knowledge out of spite).

29. - Top - End - #209
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

New comic

Soo... Not good?
    Worse than "Boom"?
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

30. - Top - End - #210

BlueWizardGirl

Dreen. They'd have Dreen.

Note my complete, deadpan lack of expression and inflection, the kind you use in horror movies when you've passed beyond the point where screaming has any point at all. That kind of deadpan.

That said, I think we're looking at Lake Missoula or Lake Bonneville level flooding. Imagine lakes the size of Lake Superior that are being held in place by glaciers. Then, the weather warms and glaciers, rather than slowly melt down to size, get thin enough to break all at once.

Imagine boulders the size of a house being thrown upstream, new revers being carved where the mountains in the way get pushed aside, and scars from the disaster being visible millennia later in places thousands (yes, thousands) of miles away.

Correction, I suspect we're looking at something much bigger.

Well, Earth was a nice planet while it lasted.
    Last edited by Ellen; 2021-04-11 at 11:31 PM.