New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Girl Genius XXIX: A giant corkboard of continuity madness

"Then you would have Dreen."

<Laughs madly>

Stuff like this is why I love GG so much. This ranks right up there with, "...and they had hats..." for one of the best little payoffs of all time. The only thing that I can think of coming close at the moment is Steven Brust's comment (via Loiosh) "Hey boss, do we know her?" in Taltos (1988) that doesn't pay off until Orca (1996), which is pretty darn good for a mystery/brick joke.

2. - Top - End - #212

Why, then they'd have hats.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

So once again, we have the Dreen being referred to as a mega-bad and scary thing that indicates that things have really hit the fan. But from what we've seen of them (documented here), they seem like some of the more powerful entities working with the Baron, but not categorically different from any other. Heck, Mr. Vozzler's undoing of the crippling of Dr. Dim and the early timestream shenanigans around his appearance seem flashier than anything we've seen out of the Dreen — lots of things in this setting can blow up a decent-sized clank. Will we learn why the Dreen have the reputation they do?

4. - Top - End - #214

I think we have seen the Dreen totally restraining themselves so far.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Troll in the Playground

The curious question is whether the Dreen are the result of the freezing of Mechanicsburg in time or something else, possible multiple events.

Hmm, assuming the Castle is correct in identifying the monster in Mechanicsburg and the Dreen as having the same extra-dimensional origin, perhaps the Dreen represent the human-analogue from their dimension while the monster is well, a monster from another dimension, something exponentially more potent. Or maybe it's some kind of super-Dreen or Dreen-god or something. In that case the dam-breaking analogy implies that restarting time will let said monster loose.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

6. - Top - End - #216
    Bugbear in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The result of getting things out of Mechanisburg was rapid ageing for the first few tries, so I guess the dam analogy holds up.
    * my emphasis

http://dmreference.com/SRD/
    http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/

Things that don't kill me make me strong
    Things that do kill me leave me dead

7. - Top - End - #217

Beholder

Ah yes. Dreen. Of course.

And they had hats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen View Post
    Dreen. They'd have Dreen.

Note my complete, deadpan lack of expression and inflection, the kind you use in horror movies when you've passed beyond the point where screaming has any point at all. That kind of deadpan.

That said, I think we're looking at Lake Missoula or Lake Bonneville level flooding. Imagine lakes the size of Lake Superior that are being held in place by glaciers. Then, the weather warms and glaciers, rather than slowly melt down to size, get thin enough to break all at once.

Imagine boulders the size of a house being thrown upstream, new revers being carved where the mountains in the way get pushed aside, and scars from the disaster being visible millennia later in places thousands (yes, thousands) of miles away.

Correction, I suspect we're looking at something much bigger.

Well, Earth was a nice planet while it lasted.
    Ok, take that analogy, now try to imagine TIME acting like the water in this scenario. The shockwave of the released effect could have devastating properties as it roils and rampages along the path it takes, possibly aging everything, possibly creating bizarre time warp effects where some get younger, or parts get older, parts get younger, and some fluctuates back and forth due to the splashing and reverberations along the path. Will it be an explosion? Will it be a flood in a shotgun spread? A tight flow out of the first hole poked in the containment? Forget the people, the plants and rocks would be in just as much danger. Imagine it as portions of the mountainside age to dust, others grow as centuries of erosion are reversed, still more explodes under the conflicting strain of ageing and regressing. And what of lasting effects? Will there be pockets of screwed up time left behind like tide pools? Accidentally cross into one and make like rumplestilskien? Pull back a baby arm because you just brushed against it? Will they be like grey boy loops from Worm?
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

9. - Top - End - #219
    Firbolg in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Why is it I think Kjarl, friend of smerks, delivered that line about Dreen in much the same tone as Boromir's "They have a cave troll?"

EDIT:

Did we just learn something about Dreen? That they are some sort of time-stop police?
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-04-12 at 07:41 AM.
    This ... is my signature finishing move!

"It's never good when you make a fiend cringe" - MadGrady

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.
    http://easydamus.com/character.html

I am a Ranger Archetype: Gleaming Warden (thx to Ninja Prawn)

10. - Top - End - #220
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shining Wrath View Post
    Did we just learn something about Dreen? That they are some sort of time-stop police?
    Or any time manipulation shenanigans that are Really Bad.

Robur Heterodyne didn't stop time - he just did experiments into the nature of time. The Dreen showed up because of the nature of his experiments.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

11. - Top - End - #221

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Or any time manipulation shenanigans that are Really Bad.

Robur Heterodyne didn't stop time - he just did experiments into the nature of time. The Dreen showed up because of the nature of his experiments.
    Yeah. Time police, it is.

According to some online quiz, I'm a 6th level TN Wizard. They didn't give me full XP for all the monsters I've defeated while daydreaming.

12. - Top - End - #222

Quote Originally Posted by Thales View Post
    So once again, we have the Dreen being referred to as a mega-bad and scary thing that indicates that things have really hit the fan. But from what we've seen of them (documented here), they seem like some of the more powerful entities working with the Baron, but not categorically different from any other. Heck, Mr. Vozzler's undoing of the crippling of Dr. Dim and the early timestream shenanigans around his appearance seem flashier than anything we've seen out of the Dreen — lots of things in this setting can blow up a decent-sized clank. Will we learn why the Dreen have the reputation they do?
    I do hope we learn specifics (or at least more detail about the Dreen here), but even based off what we have seen I think it is unfair to them to say they're not on their own level. Have we seen anything else capable of scaring a Heterodyne into both having an existential crisis and actually keeping a promise? Because the Dreen did that with Robur Heterodyne and the Corbettites. Have we seen anything else that makes a Jaeger general run? Cause a single Dreen did that at Mechanicsburg.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

... And, according to the novels, while Castle Wulfenbach is host to an activated wasp engine, scaring the living *** out of any slaver wasps that manage to get away in time (the remainder are "killed with a touch"...).

Yup - I really want to find out more about the Dreen.

OK - Kjarl is going to Mechanicsberg - fair enough, given his nature.

I'm surprised that Orotine seems to be along for the ride (let alone going at all), but I guess that she wants to advise one claimant to the throne.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

14. - Top - End - #224
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Ailurus View Post
    I do hope we learn specifics (or at least more detail about the Dreen here), but even based off what we have seen I think it is unfair to them to say they're not on their own level. Have we seen anything else capable of scaring a Heterodyne into both having an existential crisis and actually keeping a promise? Because the Dreen did that with Robur Heterodyne and the Corbettites. Have we seen anything else that makes a Jaeger general run? Cause a single Dreen did that at Mechanicsburg.
    Sure, I acknowledge that the Dreen are treated like a really big deal. What I'm saying is that in terms of actual feats, we haven't seen anything to back up that fearsome reputation.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Sure, I acknowledge that the Dreen are treated like a really big deal. What I'm saying is that in terms of actual feats, we haven't seen anything to back up that fearsome reputation.
    Which isn't much of a surprise, since the story is more revolving around Agatha, Gil and Tarvek.

And the Dreen seem to be pushing the three together to correct the problem, sometimes even before the event occurred.

One wanted Agatha out of Mechanicsburg prior to the Take Five (their non-linear relationship with time, after all)
    One told Gil where Agatha was headed post Take Five.

So their interactions with the primary cast are going to mostly be peaceful; the only time they show any offensive ability is if someone tries to stop them - like Tweedle trying to squash one with his mech.

So instead, we're going to get 'informed knowledge' about the Dreen in the comic. Scared a Heterodyne (a family that normally doesn't balk at doing Absolutely Bonkers to the Nth degree). Causes jaegers, who normally are up for a fight, to run for their lives. Freaks out Gil AND Dupree (and how often does DUPREE get freaked by ANYTHING?)

16. - Top - End - #226

SamuraiGuy

Here's one destroying a mega-clank of Martellus' creation casually.
    In the previous strip the mega-clank (100 feet tall? 60, anyway) squashes the Dreen like a fly. In this strip the completely undamaged, unperturbed Dreen disassembles the clank Martellus chose to make his grand entrance to Mechanicsburg. One "Crik - crunk - crrumpf" and it's in a million pieces.

EDIT:

Didn't even dent the pointy hat. A Dreen's hat can take tons of pressure and not be harmed.
    Last edited by Shining Wrath; 2021-04-12 at 12:17 PM.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

In the previous strip the mega-clank (100 feet tall? 60, anyway) squashes the Dreen like a fly. In this strip the completely undamaged, unperturbed Dreen disassembles the clank Martellus chose to make his grand entrance to Mechanicsburg. One "Crik - crunk - crrumpf" and it's in a million pieces.
    Martellus is almost as tall as the mech's head, if my judging is correct.. If you keep with standard proportions, you'd go about 8 heads height.

So more like 56 to 64 (giving some leeway of estimating 7-8 feet for the head) - or, my take of things.

Didn't even dent the pointy hat. A Dreen's hat can take tons of pressure and not be harmed.
    As the Dreen was surrounded by a 'bubble', I would hazard a guess that he didn't even TOUCH the hat. Moment that mech came down, 'bubble' popped up and stopped the Dreen from being touched, much less injured.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-04-12 at 12:49 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

Foglio is rather flexible with scale and proportion from comic to comic.

The baron is anywhere from 6.5 to 8 feet tall, it seems.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    So instead, we're going to get 'informed knowledge' about the Dreen in the comic. Scared a Heterodyne (a family that normally doesn't balk at doing Absolutely Bonkers to the Nth degree). Causes jaegers, who normally are up for a fight, to run for their lives. Freaks out Gil AND Dupree (and how often does DUPREE get freaked by ANYTHING?)
    Actually Gil didn't get that upset. But Bang did and that's scary. And it wasn't just a standard Jaeger, it was a Jager General. Also we have to add in Tarvek panicking as well.

Der Kastle mentions that there were dozens of Dreen and given his reaction to seeing the big thing, I don't think it was lying. Whatever the number though, are least three Dreen stuck around and have been on Earth for the last 300 years. If the Dreen are the Time Police it seems very odd that they would have allowed Klaus to stop time. No, the Dreen knew Klaus was going to freeze time and they either allowed him to do it or had a hand in it somehow. They have their own agenda going here, but I don't have a clue on what the end game for them is. Maybe the time monster in Mechanicsburg is an enemy and this is all a trap for it. Maybe this all a plan to counter the Other. Maybe (probably) something else entirely.

Also "Why then you would have Dreen." would be a good thread title, but it's way to early.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

20. - Top - End - #230
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    Also "Why then you would have Dreen." would be a good thread title, but it's way to early.
    Not at all - if you wish to propose it, I'll record it.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

21. - Top - End - #231
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by HandofShadows View Post
    They have their own agenda going here, but I don't have a clue on what the end game for them is.
    There IS the Muse of Time running around. And all the Time Window machines.

So if Agatha ends up closing all the Crazy Time Stuff in linear time...

She has incentive to research time herself now that Mechanicsburg is Stopped.

Also, they likely can only react to events that will happen, not those that have occurred.
    Last edited by sihnfahl; 2021-04-12 at 01:57 PM.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Troll in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Not at all - if you wish to propose it, I'll record it.
    Yeah, go for it. Maybe I will get to propose the name for two thread titles in a row.
    Member of the Giants in the Playground Forum Chapter for the Movement to Reunite Gondwana!

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Flumph

EDIT:

That's pretty much the only feat we've seen from one of the Dreen. And it is pretty good, but not really distinguishing. Just about every high-end spark has a quality death ray that could do something like that, and it's nothing compared to serious weapons like the Storm King's tools or Gil's lightning wand. What can the Dreen do besides blow stuff up about as well as a sparky weapon? The Vozzler could reverse or rewind the brain damage Klaus inflicted on Doctor Vapnoople. Vapnoople himself was able to throw together a decent death ray in a few minutes and, without visible technological assistance, summon an army of extradimensional horrors.

I know this is comparing them to some pretty potent things, but I feel like that's fair given how the Dreen have been talked up. As of yet, we mostly have how they've been talked up to go off of.

24. - Top - End - #234

Foglio is simply not playing all his cards right away, imho.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Troll in the Playground

That's pretty much the only feat we've seen from one of the Dreen. And it is pretty good, but not really distinguishing. Just about every high-end spark has a quality death ray that could do something like that, and it's nothing compared to serious weapons like the Storm King's tools or Gil's lightning wand. What can the Dreen do besides blow stuff up about as well as a sparky weapon? The Vozzler could reverse or rewind the brain damage Klaus inflicted on Doctor Vapnoople. Vapnoople himself was able to throw together a decent death ray in a few minutes and, without visible technological assistance, summon an army of extradimensional horrors.

I know this is comparing them to some pretty potent things, but I feel like that's fair given how the Dreen have been talked up. As of yet, we mostly have how they've been talked up to go off of.
    I would say the main thing is that the Dreen are completely unstoppable. You cannot squish them, shoot them or do anything to them while they can and will destroy anything you throw at them.

I am also not sure if Vozzler's comment about Dreen is meant to say that they are very bad news or that they always show up to, when a really big time disaster happens or would happen without intervention. So lack of Dreen would simply indicate a small-scale problem.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

26. - Top - End - #236
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    I am also not sure if Vozzler's comment about Dreen is meant to say that they are very bad news or that they always show up to, when a really big time disaster happens or would happen without intervention. So lack of Dreen would simply indicate a small-scale problem.
    I believe that it's the second. They show up when something Really Bad will happen. Something that won't resolve with minor implications.

27. - Top - End - #237

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Radar View Post
    Both, of course.
    Quote Originally Posted by Celestia View Post
    The British conquered the world in search of spices and then decided to use none of them.

28. - Top - End - #238

SamuraiGuy

According to the Jager general here: Dreen are both "unstoppable" and "scary". And then next strip we see one casually destroy a mega-clank.

So ... maybe it's like this.
    Offensive power of a Dreen: less than a major spark, but decent.
    Defensive power of a Dreen: greater than every known Spark in history combined, with each Spark having the best day they are theoretically capable of having.

I do not think a Jager would lie to the Heterodyne in a moment of crisis. "Unstoppable" is probably not an exaggeration. It may be related to their time police role; perhaps they can defer all damage to the end of their lives. The end of their lives may be the heat death of the universe; entropy may be their only nemesis.

Fortunately, they don't seem very fast.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PraetorDragoon View Post
    Both, of course.
    Kind of like Gandalf to be honest. Not many rulers were happy to see him for this very reason.
    In a war it doesn't matter who's right, only who's left.

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

According to the Jager general here: Dreen are both "unstoppable" and "scary". And then next strip we see one casually destroy a mega-clank.

So ... maybe it's like this.
    Offensive power of a Dreen: less than a major spark, but decent.
    Defensive power of a Dreen: greater than every known Spark in history combined, with each Spark having the best day they are theoretically capable of having.

I do not think a Jager would lie to the Heterodyne in a moment of crisis. "Unstoppable" is probably not an exaggeration. It may be related to their time police role; perhaps they can defer all damage to the end of their lives. The end of their lives may be the heat death of the universe; entropy may be their only nemesis.

Fortunately, they don't seem very fast.
    What's more, it doesn't look like the Dreen resisted being squished. It looks more like it got smashed flat, and promptly... just undid that. My money's on them being able to reverse time to undo any damage, like Worm's Grey Boy or unOrdinary's Seraphina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II