New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

eek I Regain So Many Pounds!

Hey everybody. Today I went to see my doctor and she checks my waist and is size 39 and I check my weight and I'm 223 pounds! I used to be 196 pounds and I regain 27 pounds. I still workout, gains muscles, and eat junk food but I didn't realize I regain so many pounds.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: I Regain So Many Pounds!

Total weight is not, in and of itself, the best marker of fitness. For example, if youve added muscle mass (say, because youve been going to the gym and working out to lose weight) then your actual weight will have changed less than you might have wanted it to, but youre still in better shape.

In terms of actually understanding your overall health, the best thing you can probably do is talk to a doctor or other professional. Theyll let you know what signs to look for and how to keep track of your overall fitness and diet.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Total weight is not, in and of itself, the best marker of fitness. For example, if youve added muscle mass (say, because youve been going to the gym and working out to lose weight) then your actual weight will have changed less than you might have wanted it to, but youre still in better shape.

In terms of actually understanding your overall health, the best thing you can probably do is talk to a doctor or other professional. Theyll let you know what signs to look for and how to keep track of your overall fitness and diet.
    Well, I workout at home so I don't need to go to a gym to work out and you're right about weight and muscle mass. I'm still in good shape though.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Total weight is not, in and of itself, the best marker of fitness. For example, if youve added muscle mass (say, because youve been going to the gym and working out to lose weight) then your actual weight will have changed less than you might have wanted it to
    In fact, it might even have increased, because muscle is denser than fat and thus weighs more for an equivalent volume.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't worry about it too much. I went on three hard cuts this year and lost a net total of.. 3 pounds. (I dipped down 11 and then back up 8 after the cuts were done.) So out of 11lbs lost, 3 were fat and 8 were water weight.

Everyone has told me how much weight I have lost and how my face is thinner and I look so different. Water weigh fluctuates wildly based on if you have glucosamine Glycogen from eating at maintenance or not, if you have worked out recently so your body is pumping water into your sore muscles, if you take creatine, etc. Fun fact, fat weighs less then Glycogen because it has a much lower water content, so you can lose fat while gaining weight even ignoring muscle development.

Make sure your diet is at or below maintenance and don't let the scale worry you too much.

Edited because I said glucosamine instead of glycogen and it was haunting me at work.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-03-18 at 07:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

If size 39 is is a 39 inch waist, that's not wonderful, I'm drifting in that direction myself, and I'd really rather not.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Don't worry about it too much. I went on three hard cuts this year and lost a net total of.. 3 pounds. (I dipped down 11 and then back up 8 after the cuts were done.) So out of 11lbs lost, 3 were fat and 8 were water weight.

Everyone has told me how much weight I have lost and how my face is thinner and I look so different. Water weigh fluctuates wildly based on if you have glucosamine Glycogen from eating at maintenance or not, if you have worked out recently so your body is pumping water into your sore muscles, if you take creatine, etc. Fun fact, fat weighs less then Glycogen because it has a much lower water content, so you can lose fat while gaining weight even ignoring muscle development.

Make sure your diet is at or below maintenance and don't let the scale worry you too much.

Edited because I said glucosamine instead of glycogen and it was haunting me at work.
    Thank you for the tip. I'm going to be careful what I eat to get a lower weight to maintain it. I did it once before.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Thank you for the tip. I'm going to be careful what I eat to get a lower weight to maintain it. I did it once before.
    Even doing a body mass index isn't exactly the best - it's just relationship between height and weight... but, as they said above, muscle can be quite dense and change that.

Knowing your body fat percentage isn't a bad thing. Also, minding your blood pressure, peripheral blood flow, and certain blood markers (HDL/Total Cholesterol ratio, sodium, creatine kinase, fasting glucose, for example).
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    If size 39 is is a 39 inch waist, that's not wonderful, I'm drifting in that direction myself, and I'd really rather not.
    Waist size isn't cut and dry though. Different people store fat in different places and your hip bones and abdominal inserts vary. I'm 5'11 and 250 and am a 34 pant size, my best friend is 6' 170 and wears a 32 ( I can wear his fairly comfortably.) All of my fat is stored above the belt line, nothing I can do about it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

10. - Top - End - #10
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

I gain some Pounds too, because of COVID and lock down!
    I am planning to loose this year
    The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention
    One of the best methods to show purity is rice purity test

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Wait, was this your April fools thread for this year?
    The Hindsight Awards, results: See the best movies of 1999!

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lvl 2 Expert View Post
    Wait, was this your April fools thread for this year?
    No. It was posted in mid-March. The April fools thread is here.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by janetJ View Post
    I gain some Pounds too, because of COVID and lock down!
    I am planning to loose this year
    And each of those lockdown pounds I have to loose can take one of their friends with them when they go.
    Clacks-Overhead: GNU Terry Pratchett

"Magic can turn a frog into a prince. Science can turn a frog into a Ph.D. and you still have the frog you started with." Terry Pratchett
    "I will not yield to evil, unless she's cute."

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everybody. Today I went to see my doctor and she checks my waist and is size 39 and I check my weight and I'm 223 pounds! I used to be 196 pounds and I regain 27 pounds. I still workout, gains muscles, and eat junk food but I didn't realize I regain so many pounds.
    Yeah, its hard. I myself have been on the weight rollercoaster for my whole life. I have found that I need to keep a log my workouts, nutrition, and weight. If I do that, the weight stays off. If I take a break from logging, my weight creeps up.

In March 2020, I was about 202. Then the COVID lock down happened and I didn't leave my house for a few months and stopped logging. I stepped on the scale in July and I was up to 223. It took me about 5 months of being religious about logging everything to get my weight down below 200. I have managed to keep it down since then and I have decided that continually logging nutrition is something I just need to do as I get older.

My advice is to log 7 days a week, stick to your calorie goal 5-6 days a week, but have 1-2 "cheater" days per week when you eat whatever you want. And do some kind of a workout every day, even if that workout is just going for a 2-3 mile walk. Sometimes I beat myself up for missing a workout but I find just getting something in is better than nothing.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

If you were British and this thread were about your finances, it would be a much more positive development. 😊