New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 7 Days To Die

1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: 7 Days To Die

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    Had a lucky break, got my trade route quest for tier 4 and the new trader had both a 4x4 chassis and the accessory schematic for sale, as well as the steel club schematic. So I just got done building my 4x4 and my steel club, transferring my burning shaft, weighted head, and spikes mod to it. Ive also built my third forge. Forged steel just takes too dang long to produce even with two forges running full tilt day and night smelting down iron and clay. I DID produce enough to upgrade the entrance to my horde base and the walls of the murder hallway two blocks high as well as the first two pillars supporting the whole thing. Im just glad that it doesnt take a lot of steel to upgrade each block. I am also amused that I skipped straight past pump shotgun and right to auto shotgun. This thing is only a level 2 gun but it is a BEAST. Im now plopping points into my shotgun skills to get the thing up to standard.

Still hoping someone can tell me if tier 5 quests are worth unlocking or more trouble than they are worth. Like, are the rewards for clearing them substantially better than tier 4? Are there specific rewards you can only get through doing those?
    You need at least 6 forges and 4 workbenches 😆 Or at least my group did.

I have no idea, I never did quests, sorry. That was another guy in the group, I made fortresses and fortress accessories.

Hopefully someone knows.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #32
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You need at least 6 forges and 4 workbenches 😆 Or at least my group did.

I have no idea, I never did quests, sorry. That was another guy in the group, I made fortresses and fortress accessories.

Hopefully someone knows.
    Heh yeah ive seen some of the late game setups. I cant even imagine what sort of screamer spawns you must have been dealing with throwing off that much heat. I already get one from time to time with two. But I imagine keeping several people equipped and able to constantly do stuff requires a lot more crafting stations than a dude running solo. On the amusing side, i think I strip mined my first iron node more or less bare. I mean, im sure if I cleared out more rock I would find more, but it seems like ive dug out enough thousands (wouldnt be surprised if i got 60k+ from it) that some of my other spots are easier options. The neat thing is I swear they seem to naturally form in such a way that I dont have to worry too much about collapsing earth and cave ins killing me. And once I get the initial dig depth done where it opens out, im able to keep jumping all over the place and so dont need to keep extending the ladder. On the downside, I forgot to leave my normal wood cube around one of my dig sites and drove my motorcycle right into it. Some of them are kinda hard to spot until you are right on top of them, lol.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

3. - Top - End - #33
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heh yeah ive seen some of the late game setups. I cant even imagine what sort of screamer spawns you must have been dealing with throwing off that much heat. I already get one from time to time with two. But I imagine keeping several people equipped and able to constantly do stuff requires a lot more crafting stations than a dude running solo. On the amusing side, i think I strip mined my first iron node more or less bare. I mean, im sure if I cleared out more rock I would find more, but it seems like ive dug out enough thousands (wouldnt be surprised if i got 60k+ from it) that some of my other spots are easier options. The neat thing is I swear they seem to naturally form in such a way that I dont have to worry too much about collapsing earth and cave ins killing me. And once I get the initial dig depth done where it opens out, im able to keep jumping all over the place and so dont need to keep extending the ladder. On the downside, I forgot to leave my normal wood cube around one of my dig sites and drove my motorcycle right into it. Some of them are kinda hard to spot until you are right on top of them, lol.
    Our forge base was in the old army base in the north east yellowstone by the lake. There was an absolutely huge node of iron and lead under the base that I mined forever, there was a dwarf kingdom under our base by the end. The screamers were constant, we used turrets for that and the base was enormously fortified with a full sized helicopter pad on top of the radio tower. I miss that file...

4. - Top - End - #34

Dang that sounds awesome. Honestly I think I would have had fun with being the miner or builder for the group. There is just something I find interesting about the idea of being sent out with a single gun and stack of ammo, a stack of repair kits, and my pick axe/shovel combo and bringing back a full inventory of various metals for use in whatever. I know first things first is grab enough of each to get the forges going full pace, once you got a couple stacks of everything being smelted THEN its time to go full ham on the nodes one by one. I would be like, "Ok crafter? Build me a set of supply crates one for each ore. Im coming back loaded down with a 4x4 full of iron, and my personal inventory full of lead coal and nitrate." (with a side trip to the desert to get enough oil shale to keep us all motorized nice and easy) I would find a nice wooded valley, chop down the trees, then dig a layer or two deep across the whole thing to bring back about 40 stacks of clay. By the time im done captain planet is going to take a bounty out on me because I would be strip mining the heck out of the entire map. The hollow earth theory would be proven true, because I dug out the insides of the whole dang thing. Balrogs would be swarming the map because im DEFINITELY going to delve too greedily and too deeply.

"If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Dang that sounds awesome. Honestly I think I would have had fun with being the miner or builder for the group. There is just something I find interesting about the idea of being sent out with a single gun and stack of ammo, a stack of repair kits, and my pick axe/shovel combo and bringing back a full inventory of various metals for use in whatever. I know first things first is grab enough of each to get the forges going full pace, once you got a couple stacks of everything being smelted THEN its time to go full ham on the nodes one by one. I would be like, "Ok crafter? Build me a set of supply crates one for each ore. Im coming back loaded down with a 4x4 full of iron, and my personal inventory full of lead coal and nitrate." (with a side trip to the desert to get enough oil shale to keep us all motorized nice and easy) I would find a nice wooded valley, chop down the trees, then dig a layer or two deep across the whole thing to bring back about 40 stacks of clay. By the time im done captain planet is going to take a bounty out on me because I would be strip mining the heck out of the entire map. The hollow earth theory would be proven true, because I dug out the insides of the whole dang thing. Balrogs would be swarming the map because im DEFINITELY going to delve too greedily and too deeply.
    It's much more relaxing that way! Also I had a lot of side projects like a castle on the big island and a bridge across the lake to it (which took a long time to put the pylons to it at the base of the lake.) Not having to do everything frees up a lot of effort for the stuff each player enjoys. The real issue is you need a really big group if you want to run a persistent server or the bases will get destroyed.

6. - Top - End - #36

I had this odd mental image of something I would do if I ever had access to a hilariously absurd amount of supplies. Wall off an entire town. Take Diresville, build a wall around the entire outskirts, build it tall enough to go over the top of the tallest building there, then encompass the entire thing so its one pitch black cube lit only by random torches, burning barrels, whatever inside. Why? Just because I think it would be funny to pull off if possible. Im honestly unsure on the math involved like, how few pillars it would take, minimum to support the roof. I can see people chopping holes in buildings so they can place the pillars where they need to be. I also want to try some silly stuff like, take a poi that gets frequent quests, dig under the building enough to collapse it if possible (im not sure if you can even do that in the game or not) Then get a quest for the poi and see if it resets, and if so, if it stays stable or just collapses again because the ground for a dozen blocks straight down is also gone.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I had this odd mental image of something I would do if I ever had access to a hilariously absurd amount of supplies. Wall off an entire town. Take Diresville, build a wall around the entire outskirts, build it tall enough to go over the top of the tallest building there, then encompass the entire thing so its one pitch black cube lit only by random torches, burning barrels, whatever inside. Why? Just because I think it would be funny to pull off if possible. Im honestly unsure on the math involved like, how few pillars it would take, minimum to support the roof. I can see people chopping holes in buildings so they can place the pillars where they need to be. I also want to try some silly stuff like, take a poi that gets frequent quests, dig under the building enough to collapse it if possible (im not sure if you can even do that in the game or not) Then get a quest for the poi and see if it resets, and if so, if it stays stable or just collapses again because the ground for a dozen blocks straight down is also gone.
    I believe maximum structural integrity is 7 blocks from a pillar, so 14 long? You could fib by using ladders as the pillars from the buildings, so they would look invisible at a distance and make it look like there is an open vault. That would be super cool to be be honest.

8. - Top - End - #38

I believe maximum structural integrity is 7 blocks from a pillar, so 14 long? You could fib by using ladders as the pillars from the buildings, so they would look invisible at a distance and make it look like there is an open vault. That would be super cool to be be honest.
    I just did a check and rebar/wet concrete has a horizontal support of 12 blocks of that type. Im not sure but I THINK that means that coming out from the walls you only need one pillar in the corner to support a 12x12 square, then a pillar every 12th square further in you go. Build the pillars first then connect the blocks to it. God thats a lot of blocks though. If the info im looking at is correct, if you built steel blocks, its a support of 15 blocks. So fewer pillars that way, even if only by a bit. At least a 15 block gap in pillars is a nice wide pathway for travel, even if it means lots of buildings are going to have holes in them. :p

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I just did a check and rebar/wet concrete has a horizontal support of 12 blocks of that type. Im not sure but I THINK that means that coming out from the walls you only need one pillar in the corner to support a 12x12 square, then a pillar every 12th square further in you go. Build the pillars first then connect the blocks to it. God thats a lot of blocks though. If the info im looking at is correct, if you built steel blocks, its a support of 15 blocks. So fewer pillars that way, even if only by a bit. At least a 15 block gap in pillars is a nice wide pathway for travel, even if it means lots of buildings are going to have holes in them. :p
    You could always build the houses inside the bubble/fortress so they fit better. Make a pillar grid and then once the whole thing is done make the houses from scratch to fit.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

They respawn normal. There was this huge construction tower in my last game, and I chewed through all the supports for it. It came all crumbling down(which, btw, will attract a TON of screamers to you, I counted at least 7 or 8). Got a quest for it shortly after, went back to it and started the quest and it respawned perfectly intact.

My best construction project(not much compared to many others honestly) was based on a hotel in the desert of the main storyline back in Alpha12 or so. I decided to make a supersized version of it. Took me a week or more of playing to construct the dang thing. 4 floors, and as long as half a town(I know this because I built it on the outskirts of a town, and it stretched literally halfway), and about 60 blocks wide as well. I chewed through nearly a hundred thousand(maybe more) concrete blocks. I had a ton of forges and cement mixers going non-stop the entire time to supply myself. I was kinda dumb about it though, I built it halfway across the map from my base(I was trying to find an even, level piece of ground to build on, took me a while to find a spot), so the back and forth time probably accounted for 15-20% of my time.(This was before trucks and the copter thing, and even motorcycles, only had minibikes back then).

Still, it was a blast making it, and the poor zombies couldn't touch it(they weren't as strong or smart as they are now). I waited out several bloodmoons in after I finished and I just sat inside not killing anything to see if they could make it through(no defenses). Nowadays, I'd need dozens of turrets to protect it, otherwise it'd get demolished I'm sure. Maybe not entirely, but they'd definitely make it inside quick enough.
    Last edited by Starwulf; 2021-04-08 at 01:45 AM.

11. - Top - End - #41

So ive discovered the truth about dealing with screamers while digging out mines. They arent so bad. The real danger is the regular zombies quietly sneaking up on you while you dig. Knowing the mini horde is coming once the screamer screams, you just stand under the main hole, wait for the zombies to ragdoll to the bottom of the shaft, then shoot them in the head at point blank as they struggle to stand back up. Probably would be different on the higher difficulties as they are tougher but even so, yeah, the real danger is feeling that first whack as you are tunneling away and turning around to realize, "OH CRUD! There is a irradiated soldier in my face!" THAT tends to end badly depending on how tight the area is.

12. - Top - End - #42

So I started up a new game doing horde nights. Im on night three and ive got my home base setup with a forge and workbench, and my tools are up to iron. I raided a fishery factory and looted enough cement that im fairly sure once I get a mixer going and craft the sand for it, i will be able to build a rudimentary horde base with reinforced concrete before the big day. I just had an AWFUL night that was only just short of the worst because I didnt die. A freaking bear decided it hated my home base, and I had literally just gotten rid of my hunting rifle because it was only useful for very rare long range sniping so I had to freaking well melee a bear to death with a baseball bat while it tried to force its way through my front door. Thank god I finished my second block deep cobblestone wall around the whole thing, because im fairly sure he broke one before he went down. i had to burn several healing items and am now wearing a splint but I got him down in the end. Actually worked out for the best, I needed more duct tape and was out of bones to make glue.

The one down side is im not really well placed for raiding houses as there arent a ton nearby. Im hoping that there will be enough near me to last till I at least get a bike or something going. Then I can do more exploring and loot farming. On the plus side, there are a TON of iron nodes within short distance of me, as well as a nitrate right outside my front door and a lead nearby. So I am setup pretty good for the short and medium term future when it comes to ore needed. But im not used to my starting trader being so relatively isolated. I THINK I will be able to find my way around eventually, I have a suspicion where I am in the navezgane map more or less, so hopefully that will work out in the end. But I never found this guy last time so I may be wrong.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

So I started up a new game doing horde nights. Im on night three and ive got my home base setup with a forge and workbench, and my tools are up to iron. I raided a fishery factory and looted enough cement that im fairly sure once I get a mixer going and craft the sand for it, i will be able to build a rudimentary horde base with reinforced concrete before the big day. I just had an AWFUL night that was only just short of the worst because I didnt die. A freaking bear decided it hated my home base, and I had literally just gotten rid of my hunting rifle because it was only useful for very rare long range sniping so I had to freaking well melee a bear to death with a baseball bat while it tried to force its way through my front door. Thank god I finished my second block deep cobblestone wall around the whole thing, because im fairly sure he broke one before he went down. i had to burn several healing items and am now wearing a splint but I got him down in the end. Actually worked out for the best, I needed more duct tape and was out of bones to make glue.

The one down side is im not really well placed for raiding houses as there arent a ton nearby. Im hoping that there will be enough near me to last till I at least get a bike or something going. Then I can do more exploring and loot farming. On the plus side, there are a TON of iron nodes within short distance of me, as well as a nitrate right outside my front door and a lead nearby. So I am setup pretty good for the short and medium term future when it comes to ore needed. But im not used to my starting trader being so relatively isolated. I THINK I will be able to find my way around eventually, I have a suspicion where I am in the navezgane map more or less, so hopefully that will work out in the end. But I never found this guy last time so I may be wrong.
    Are you on the north east side of the big lake, just past the Walmart?

14. - Top - End - #44

Are you on the north east side of the big lake, just past the Walmart?
    There is a big store just across a bridge by the lake but I think its a savage country store. Now I have my directions all mixed up, but im at the trader who is basically 1.5 km due east (maybe west? ugh) from trader jill near diresville. Its a surprisingly straight path off road with only minor adjustments for a couple steep hills. Also, its now day 8. I survived my first horde night with flying colors! Only downside is, i didnt realize I would need repair kits. Of my three main weapons, steel club, pistol, and ak, 2 of them were broken. I was getting REALLY anxious around 2:30 when they were still spawning and heading up the ramp at me. I was about to craft a dang stone club for a moment there. The horde base is a straightforward double hatch narrow hallway set 4 blocks off the ground with a ramp, and on either side of the entrance are angled blocks to funnel them all in to face the wrath of my steel club to the face. Then in between waves I would run out and mow down the freaking birds with my ak because I didnt think to place iron bars on my roof instead of reinforced concrete so I had no way to shoot them from safety. The most obnoxious enemies were the leapers though, too low to the ground to swing away unrestricted, and having to smash them as they clip through my hatches meant I was doing more damage to the hatches than the zombies were. Was a bit of a surprise that my first horde night involved a few cops though. I expected the dogs and leapers, hadnt run into any cops in my travels yet. First impressions, the horde night isnt overwhelming (I know, not yet) its just a bit mind numbing and worrisome as wave after wave after wave keep spawning and running for your ramp. The upside to a smooth ramp was a surprising number of zombies would get knocked back then slide back to the bottom before they could get back up, so it was surprisingly easy to maintain a little breathing room. Heck, i was even able to machete the dead dogs out of the way from time to time to keep the clutter low if I timed it right. They never made it past the first set of hatches with my ability to repair them.

Final notes, in my day 7 scramble to check the merchants for new stuff, i was able to get the motorcycle chassis and I had gotten just enough random forged steel to forge the handlebars, so I also have a brand new bike to replace my trusty little put put. I also had a near mental breakdown from the stress and annoyance of trying to get to a treasure chest. It wasnt so bad, i figured, a quick 1.5k trip and I can maybe get a nice chunk of change (One of the traders has a flipping GYROCOPTOR for sale, I want money) But no. Oh no. No no no. It took me on a rage inducing trip up into the mountains where every 5 blocks was another mini valley too steep to drive out of. I was literally digging out my bike so it could continue on. (It had too much stuff for me to empty and carry it) I gave up after wasting 5 in game hours trying to make it to the location and didnt want to even THINK about circling around to try from another side where im sure there was probably some straight paved road leading right to it with my freaking luck. Also, the daily supply drop landed IN THE LAKE. Not on the shore, not on the island, IN THE WATER. Not far in the water yeah, but still, by that point I was happy im not a superstitious fellow because those were some bad omens.

15. - Top - End - #45

I dont normally like to bump threads that I was the last reply on but I figured if its new info its ok. I decided that my other game was annoying with the way it was setup and didnt want to try and build all over again elsewhere, so what i did was, I looked up popular seeds for the game. Ended up playing Decillionaire which so far is awesome. There are neighborhoods and towns and businesses EVERYWHERE. My first day I raided three fast food joints to build up some decent food and drink that were next to each other. I even found my first shotgun messiah factory and marked it out for later as i am NOT going to waste that place on low tier loot. Probably go there after my first horde night. I even found my first (albeit small) crack-a-books store to clear out. That was nice, must have gotten like a dozen random schematics and magazines to read, along with a pile of paper. Im on day 5 and got my motorcycle going, there is ore everywhere, im in the forest biome but I can see the desert from my base so once I had the chem station open I quick mined several shale nodes to get enough gas on the boil so I wont have to worry about running out for a long time.

The one downside that made me curse myself for a total moron, I decided to go hilariously big for my home base/crafting area. Its a 15/15 cube, and I put together all the frame work, went to drop my land claim block, and discovered I had built it WAY too close to the trader so it wouldnt let me. I literally had to leave my base, walk like a dozen or so blocks further away, THEN dropped it. There was no way in heck i was going to repeat that absurd effort to rebuild my entire base ten feet over. The effect still covers my base so its ok. I built my horde base out back, still sticking to the basic melee horde hatch base to start, with plenty of room to add in things like catwalks, sledge turrets, blade traps, pits, etc as the hordes get more dangerous. Tonight I will hopefully have enough cement to finish upgrading it then i can install the hatches, and learn from my last effort and put bars in the roof so I can shoot the stupid birds instead of letting them peck at my roof all night. Can I attach a hatch to a set of bars by the way? If not I may end up trying to decide what is the best setup for roof hatches and iron bars so I can block the zombies and still get a good firing angle on birds. But yeah, nice map, lots of cool pois that I have never seen before, and ive got the start of the game down to a decent science.

If I had to give advice to new players it would probably be, get a wrench asap and break down every car you see. You get so many things you are going to need from them, engines, batteries, mechanical parts, electrical parts, short iron pipes, plastic parts, its pretty much all going to be very handy to have in bulk very fast. Also, you get a surprising amount of gas which is more then enough to handle your minibike or motorcycle until you can go to the desert to farm shale. Its a one stop encumbrance shop for a lot of the important bits you will need to craft.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I dont normally like to bump threads that I was the last reply on but I figured if its new info its ok. I decided that my other game was annoying with the way it was setup and didnt want to try and build all over again elsewhere, so what i did was, I looked up popular seeds for the game. Ended up playing Decillionaire which so far is awesome. There are neighborhoods and towns and businesses EVERYWHERE. My first day I raided three fast food joints to build up some decent food and drink that were next to each other. I even found my first shotgun messiah factory and marked it out for later as i am NOT going to waste that place on low tier loot. Probably go there after my first horde night. I even found my first (albeit small) crack-a-books store to clear out. That was nice, must have gotten like a dozen random schematics and magazines to read, along with a pile of paper. Im on day 5 and got my motorcycle going, there is ore everywhere, im in the forest biome but I can see the desert from my base so once I had the chem station open I quick mined several shale nodes to get enough gas on the boil so I wont have to worry about running out for a long time.

The one downside that made me curse myself for a total moron, I decided to go hilariously big for my home base/crafting area. Its a 15/15 cube, and I put together all the frame work, went to drop my land claim block, and discovered I had built it WAY too close to the trader so it wouldnt let me. I literally had to leave my base, walk like a dozen or so blocks further away, THEN dropped it. There was no way in heck i was going to repeat that absurd effort to rebuild my entire base ten feet over. The effect still covers my base so its ok. I built my horde base out back, still sticking to the basic melee horde hatch base to start, with plenty of room to add in things like catwalks, sledge turrets, blade traps, pits, etc as the hordes get more dangerous. Tonight I will hopefully have enough cement to finish upgrading it then i can install the hatches, and learn from my last effort and put bars in the roof so I can shoot the stupid birds instead of letting them peck at my roof all night. Can I attach a hatch to a set of bars by the way? If not I may end up trying to decide what is the best setup for roof hatches and iron bars so I can block the zombies and still get a good firing angle on birds. But yeah, nice map, lots of cool pois that I have never seen before, and ive got the start of the game down to a decent science.

If I had to give advice to new players it would probably be, get a wrench asap and break down every car you see. You get so many things you are going to need from them, engines, batteries, mechanical parts, electrical parts, short iron pipes, plastic parts, its pretty much all going to be very handy to have in bulk very fast. Also, you get a surprising amount of gas which is more then enough to handle your minibike or motorcycle until you can go to the desert to farm shale. Its a one stop encumbrance shop for a lot of the important bits you will need to craft.
    What time zone are you in? I wouldn't mind playing from time to time.

17. - Top - End - #47

What time zone are you in? I wouldn't mind playing from time to time.
    Im est but my playtime is REALLY erratic. I could be playing at any time from 8 am to 8 pm and I rarely play for longer than a single daylight cycle, log off for awhile, suffer through the night cycle as i rarely have enough to do thats worthwhile, (currently my project is in between producing concrete from my forges im digging a tunnel to some nearby iron deposits on my map) then log off for a bit at around 3-4am game time then come back to play again later refreshed. lol. Some days I play through a few in game days, some times I dont play at all for a day or two. Its strange honestly, I think I burned out my ability to play a focused amount of time doing mmorpgs when i was growing up so now I stick to idle games that I can play a little log off then come back later with no issues.

I will say in defense of my earlier post about building too close to the trader, that the area around him was INCREDIBLY flat. Once i broke down a nice sized boulder and chopped down the trees, I had this huge empty field that was just perfect for a home base and horde base with tons of room to grow. In hindsight I could have gone further away, but I didnt realize that the distance from the trader that you can dig is different from the distance you can use a land claim block. I even went a good few blocks further just to ensure my mining wouldnt be effected (except in that direction of course) And on top of all that, the trader is right at the start of a nice town and it was so tempting to build right there because of how easy it would be to reach everything I couldnt resist. Ah well, live and learn. Make sure to build my next base at least a couple hundred meters from the trader just to be safe.

18. - Top - End - #48
    Ogre in the Playground

You guys sounded like you were having so much fun, I checked it out on Steam and what do you know? It’s on sale this week. So don’t be surprised if I pop in later asking for starting advice.

19. - Top - End - #49

Quote Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga View Post
    You guys sounded like you were having so much fun, I checked it out on Steam and what do you know? It’s on sale this week. So don’t be surprised if I pop in later asking for starting advice.
    Go for it, I would be glad to offer what newbie advice I have picked up. I would say though that you shouldnt go into the first game expecting to get very far very well. It takes a little practice to get good at the basics like moving, crafting, repairing etc. Makes the first day super awkward. And, this is just my personal preference, but I would recommend putting all the settings onto the easiest mark and turning off blood moon hordes until you feel like you are confident in your skills and ready to have a challenge. So max exp and loot, block damage, the weaker difficulty option, cant remember its name, etc. Once you know how to get things started and have figured out what you want to do, THEN go for horde nights and other normal settings.

Another thing that helped me out a lot, was watching youtube videos. There are numerous tutorial videos out there, Saven's World is a good channel and he does a LOT of tutorials on the game for many topics. Plus he is just amusing to listen to imo.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ogre in the Playground

So apparently going towards the nearest building with an eye to sheltering inside was a bad idea. I think it was maybe an hour in-game tops before I died?

But I got my first stone axe and through the 'make a base' portion of my starting quest. Placed the door wrong and now I can't figure out how to pick it back it up. It's late evening on the first day because I wasted precious time hunting down a chicken for feathers not realizing there were bird nests all over the place.

EDIT: I want to say I survived the night, but I’m pretty sure the damage I took was responsible for me randomly dropping dead some time later. Yes game, it’s nice to know antiseptic would stave off that infection, but since I don’t actually know how to make that yet...

Anyway, I built an enclosure with a chest to store stuff in and surrounded the thing with wooden spike traps. (And proceeded to cut my health in half when I accidentally bumped into one of them.) I also figured out how to make bandages.
    Last edited by Kareeah_Indaga; 2021-05-09 at 06:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51

Yeah doors and hatches are a real pain to place properly, its kind of subtle when trying to place them which direction they will open in. And im pretty sure you just have to smash the door then try again, as at least ive never found a way to pick one back up. Im still constantly putting my hatches in so they open up sideways which... well its not much help on horde night. lol As for buildings, every building but the trader is going to have zombies in it, and infection can be treated by honey or antibiotics, both of which are random items found while looting. The first night or two are the hardest because there is no promise you will find any of either right away, same for food, drink, splints, etc etc etc. After a few days the law of averages says you are going to start finding plenty enough but yeah, first day sucks. There are tree stumps randomly placed in the world that you can break and they often, not always, have honey in them, honey can also sometimes be found in the kitchen areas of houses.

Nice work on the bandages and your first attempt at a shelter. Yeah, spike traps and such can be really annoying to remember and easy to bump into. There is a youtuber I watch who has played this game for 2-3 years now and he STILL hits spike traps and barbed wire and such from time to time. He also sets himself on fire a LOT with molotovs. Also ouch, chasing down chickens aint easy. I sympathize with your attempts. Honestly, you wont be getting much in the way of animal kills until you have your bow and arrow built and can get a good sneak attack on something. Well, other than wolves and bears who will attack you on sight, but they will just murder you right now. Good luck on day 2, or restarting if you prefer. I know I ended up restarting like 4 times before I felt I had the first day down well enough that i wasnt playing at an early disadvantage.

22. - Top - End - #52

Heh, so I started up yet another game, this time on a random world map because I swear to god the navezgane map keeps sending me to that one trader near the lake with very little good pois nearby and I dont want to waste my first day walking all the way to trader jen. Anyways, I started up a random map and HOLY CROW. I spawned right next to a city with a high end shamway factory, shotgun factory, the hotel of death (if you dont know what I mean, its the hotel where you start in the parking garage with a bus blocking the main entry so you go through a side office and then work your way to the roof. The dang thing is at LEAST an all day poi) Numerous businesses, plenty of regular houses of all shapes and sizes, and my home base, which i built on a basketball court because cement floors on day one are amusing, and its plenty of room for a solid base, is surrounded by no less than three construction pois full of cement and cobblestone. So far two nights and not a single zombie or animal has been drawn to me, which is a new record.

Its currently day 3 and im rocking my forge, workstation, and 2 cement mixers, gonna build a second forge tonight, and the trader is loaded with nearby quests that let me blitz to getting sent to the second trader already. I think I will wait till I have a moped or something built first. Thats probably going to be tonight. Gonna have to go look for a good location for a horde base soon. Only downside is aside from a blunderbuss no guns yet. I dont want to raid any of the good locations till I can expect to see decent guns in the loot crates. The only thing that bugged me was I suicided on day 1 because I got infected and despite blitzing like 4 pois trying to cherry pick the loot that was likely to be honey or antibiotics, and chopping down a half dozen tree trunks I couldnt find ANYTHING to treat my infection. I was at like 12% infection by nightfall and basically went, "To heck with this" and gave the nearest zombie a hug. Its only today I saw my first honey and antibotics drop. Ah well, not a big deal. Got my mine shaft started, and now that I have managed to get enough duct tape im getting all my mid level tools setup.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Heh, so I started up yet another game, this time on a random world map because I swear to god the navezgane map keeps sending me to that one trader near the lake with very little good pois nearby and I dont want to waste my first day walking all the way to trader jen. Anyways, I started up a random map and HOLY CROW. I spawned right next to a city with a high end shamway factory, shotgun factory, the hotel of death (if you dont know what I mean, its the hotel where you start in the parking garage with a bus blocking the main entry so you go through a side office and then work your way to the roof. The dang thing is at LEAST an all day poi) Numerous businesses, plenty of regular houses of all shapes and sizes, and my home base, which i built on a basketball court because cement floors on day one are amusing, and its plenty of room for a solid base, is surrounded by no less than three construction pois full of cement and cobblestone. So far two nights and not a single zombie or animal has been drawn to me, which is a new record.

Its currently day 3 and im rocking my forge, workstation, and 2 cement mixers, gonna build a second forge tonight, and the trader is loaded with nearby quests that let me blitz to getting sent to the second trader already. I think I will wait till I have a moped or something built first. Thats probably going to be tonight. Gonna have to go look for a good location for a horde base soon. Only downside is aside from a blunderbuss no guns yet. I dont want to raid any of the good locations till I can expect to see decent guns in the loot crates. The only thing that bugged me was I suicided on day 1 because I got infected and despite blitzing like 4 pois trying to cherry pick the loot that was likely to be honey or antibiotics, and chopping down a half dozen tree trunks I couldnt find ANYTHING to treat my infection. I was at like 12% infection by nightfall and basically went, "To heck with this" and gave the nearest zombie a hug. Its only today I saw my first honey and antibotics drop. Ah well, not a big deal. Got my mine shaft started, and now that I have managed to get enough duct tape im getting all my mid level tools setup.
    Nice! Sounds like a good map! What prompted to game reset?

24. - Top - End - #54

Basically, I was tired of popping up in the same spot with the same buildings in the same locations over and over. Now with this random map I have no idea where anything is or what else is out there so its all shiny and new. I dont know how the classic game determines where to start you but around the 5th game in a row of me popping up next to that one trader near the lake and me resetting because I didnt want to play that area or hike the kilometer or two to the only other trader I knew how to reach on foot from there, I figured I would give the random world a shot. Now I will have to hope that I didnt get everything decent in one location and the rest of the traders are off in barren burned out wastelands or something, :p I think I have an idea for my horde base, gonna have to scout it out to see if its the right sized, its a park area. May have to clear out the benches and low brick walls to make it work.

I have to admit, starting on the basketball court was an idea I wasnt sure would work out, I was worried that chipping through the concrete floor with a level 3 stone axe was going to be miserable, but it turns out that it wasnt that bad. Its only one block deep and I only needed to break a single block to start crafting my mine shaft. And because the whole thing is fenced off at a decent range and dropped down a bit in elevation it feels fairly isolated. Im debating putting up another wall around the chain link fence to totally cut it off from sight, and give myself an aesthetic of a keep and castle wall setup. Will have to see how I feel once I can settle down from the setup rush and have my full kit ready. Right now I am trying to get at least a baseball bat and a set of basic guns as well as enough material to build my starter horde base, and the trader has a motorcycle for sale that im hoping I can grind enough cash to buy before she resets. If not, ah well, I can just build myself a vehicle with another talent point. A minibike isnt as good as a motorcycle but it will do for a start.

*EDIT* Got my motorcycle before day 4. Thank you generous trader and surprisingly easy to reach tier 2 quest locations. Now I can relax a bit and work on creating rebar frames, crafting cement, and making my iron tools. Also found a school poi. Not the highschool with the big gym loot room, but some other one. Might check that out. Also got ahold of a double barrel shotgun and ak so weapons are finally starting to drop. I was surprised, I thought you had to go to the new trader to unlock the next tier of quests. Finding out that wasnt true means I dont have to go there till I feel like it.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-05-17 at 10:19 AM.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Basically, I was tired of popping up in the same spot with the same buildings in the same locations over and over. Now with this random map I have no idea where anything is or what else is out there so its all shiny and new. I dont know how the classic game determines where to start you but around the 5th game in a row of me popping up next to that one trader near the lake and me resetting because I didnt want to play that area or hike the kilometer or two to the only other trader I knew how to reach on foot from there, I figured I would give the random world a shot. Now I will have to hope that I didnt get everything decent in one location and the rest of the traders are off in barren burned out wastelands or something, :p I think I have an idea for my horde base, gonna have to scout it out to see if its the right sized, its a park area. May have to clear out the benches and low brick walls to make it work.

I have to admit, starting on the basketball court was an idea I wasnt sure would work out, I was worried that chipping through the concrete floor with a level 3 stone axe was going to be miserable, but it turns out that it wasnt that bad. Its only one block deep and I only needed to break a single block to start crafting my mine shaft. And because the whole thing is fenced off at a decent range and dropped down a bit in elevation it feels fairly isolated. Im debating putting up another wall around the chain link fence to totally cut it off from sight, and give myself an aesthetic of a keep and castle wall setup. Will have to see how I feel once I can settle down from the setup rush and have my full kit ready. Right now I am trying to get at least a baseball bat and a set of basic guns as well as enough material to build my starter horde base, and the trader has a motorcycle for sale that im hoping I can grind enough cash to buy before she resets. If not, ah well, I can just build myself a vehicle with another talent point. A minibike isnt as good as a motorcycle but it will do for a start.

*EDIT* Got my motorcycle before day 4. Thank you generous trader and surprisingly easy to reach tier 2 quest locations. Now I can relax a bit and work on creating rebar frames, crafting cement, and making my iron tools. Also found a school poi. Not the highschool with the big gym loot room, but some other one. Might check that out. Also got ahold of a double barrel shotgun and ak so weapons are finally starting to drop. I was surprised, I thought you had to go to the new trader to unlock the next tier of quests. Finding out that wasnt true means I dont have to go there till I feel like it.
    Nice! The concrete floor is great for stopping digging, putting a hole in it to dig kind of undermines it though (pun intended.)

I guess I want to know why you reset so frequently at all. This is something I noticed with my playgroup where they wanted to reset weekly and I never did, so it just interests me to know why.

26. - Top - End - #56

Nice! The concrete floor is great for stopping digging, putting a hole in it to dig kind of undermines it though (pun intended.)

I guess I want to know why you reset so frequently at all. This is something I noticed with my playgroup where they wanted to reset weekly and I never did, so it just interests me to know why.
    Because I keep hitting a point where I dont feel like I can progress much further. My horde base is sufficient for the next 2-5 weeks in game easily, I have the best weapons and armor, I have raided the good pois nearby and have the best vehicles, so what do i do now? Just mindlessly run the same general trader quests? Mine another 15 stacks of everything? Build up enough ammo that I could fire a full clip into every zombie and still not run out? I could bump up the difficulty by shortening the time between hordes I suppose. But for me the fun is in establishing a respectable base and horde base and getting geared up. Once I have that I get bored. Im not a huge builder person either, I never got into minecraft so the idea of just continuing to build to make things fancier isnt enough of a draw for me. Honestly im not sure how much longer I will be playing for. I may come back when I learn alpha 20 is out just to see how it changes things. I like the random gen worlds though, it adds in all sorts of fun new setups so I dont know where everything is. Like this one, its got an easy two dozen pois ive never run before. Some I recognize from watching youtube videos of other players some I dont recall at all.

Its almost the morning of day 4, im going to build myself my starter horde base as I have several thousand things of cement mix and several hundred rebar frames crafted. Then I will likely start checking out these locations to see what i can see. Only downside to this map is iron is nowhere nears as abundant as im used to in this section. Ive only found a few nodes. Its enough to get me going so not a huge deal but something to worry about in the future. I also need to remember to break down more stuff for leather as I actually ran out of the stuff last night before I could build my second forge which is slowing me down quite a bit. Not a lot of animals out here, so far ive killed all of one wolf and one deer.

27. - Top - End - #57

So its the morning of day 7. My horde base is ready, I have like 5 stacks of ammo each for all my weapons plus my trusty bat, which i will likely be using a lot of because first hordes generally arent that bad for melee damage. Ive turned my mineshaft into a cavern going off in three directions. I dont know if its just my impatience thats always had me digging more or less straight lines till i find something or what, but this time im hollowing out the earth deep underground. Basically, if you ever watched jawoodle or some of the other youtubers playing darkness falls, im doing that where I dig out enough of a cavern that if I wanted I could probably relocate all my workbenches mixers forges etc down here and have plenty of space to continue mining. Making sure to place pillars every so often because I dont want to die to cave ins. Looted my first crucible so now I can start forging steel for next weeks horde, and I unlocked the tier 3 quests and trader who was in the desert biome, so I snagged some shale while I was motoring offroad because why not, I might want it when I upgrade to a 4x4 eventually. I got lucky at the old west version of crack a books, forget the name, and got my steel club schematic, just need some more steel club parts to build it. Gonna run a couple more quests and hope I get lucky. Got daring adventurer maxxed and all but the last level of better barter so money wont be an issue going forward. I even, just because I had it handy, started smelting brass and lead to make bullet tips and casings along with making a stack of gunpowder for future needs. The only minerals ive found so far in my cavern are nitrate but fingers crossed I will eventually find another node of something. I figure after horde night I will run the shotgun messiah factory nearby as im close to mid level guns now. The zombie slaughter should push me over the edge loot stage wise.

Oh, and building a cobblestone wall around the basketball court seems to have worked to funnel screamers and random zombies to my front entrance. THAT took a long time to finish, even only going three blocks high. I wish I had more concrete ready at the time just to make it faster. Plop down rebar frames, one upgrade and boom, reinforced concrete walls means the zombies wont bother trying to dig through when they can go around. It figures the day after I talked about how I hadnt seen any zombies near me for the first few nights that very night spawned a wandering horde and like 2-3 screamers just tot each me a lesson. Just gotta remember to bring torches with me to my horde base, repair kits because its scary how fast gear breaks down against a horde, and enough material to keep my iron hatches repaired. So yeah, all in all, I think im ready to curbstomp my way through the day 7 horde. Just gotta wait for daylight and get started.

*EDIT* Im not making an entire third post in a row so I will post it here. Horde night went well, I was surprised by just how much damage the dang birds did to my horde base roof, they came within a couple hundred hp of breaking through reinforced concrete. I tried to build my base so I had bars on top I could shoot through but it made it so i couldnt do top and bottom hatches for my melee tunnel so I decided to go with solid roof then kill the birds afterwards. I think my next bit of building is going to be an exposed catwalk so I can setup things like turrets for future hordes and also so I can walk out of my base and shoot down the birds on a regular basis without getting dogpiled by zombies. I upgraded most of the vital parts of my horde base to steel, had just enough to do the roof, the top layer of the ramp and entrance, as well as the support pillar holding it all up. Lets see how that holds up to the birds next time.

Next morning I decided to reward myself by raiding shotgun messiah. I thought it was one of the mid sized buildings but no, it was the full tier 5 poi. That actually made me happy because ive never really watched someone raid the entire place start to finish. Dear god is it not worth it. I am pretty sure I burned more ammo clearing it out than I did during horde night. And I couldnt use my club much because like 75% of the time it was large clumps of zombies that are feral crowding me too fast to take them down safely in melee. I suppose I could have done the wood frame trick to bottleneck them at doors but I didnt feel like it. I managed to slaughter my way to the upper third, where you start walking around the roof areas, when i got a VERY nasty surprise. Irradiated zombies. Lots of them. Soldiers, bikers, big mommas, all glowing green and very angry and positioned in such a way that I had no idea till I was in the middle of them. I got murdered. Luckily its not a long walk back there. I wood frame towered my way back to more or less where I died and tried again. Thats when the game decided it hated me. For some reason every time the irradiated woke up, my camera would freeze. I could walk, shoot, jump, etc. but I couldnt turn my field of view around no matter what I did. I managed to log out then back in, that seemed to briefly fix the issue but the second the irradiated stood up, it froze again. I ran off a ledge and got lucky enough to land somewhere somewhat safe and logged again. Then this morning tried one last time and was able to gun them all down and hit the main loot. The main loot wasnt bad, the big ammo pile, weapon bag, reinforced locked chest plus three boxes of shotgun messiah stuff, but again, totally not worth the expenditure of ammo and time. Maybe if I find another I will bypass everything but the roof as its still a tough fight but not an absurd marathon. Worst part is I didnt even get any decent weapon upgrades! Also, *&^%*&^% birds. I hate them and they need to all go off and die. Every time I went outside the building id get swarmed by another three birds hugging the walls and dodging bullets like freaking neo.

Anyway, finished that, and decided to spend the next couple hours before nightfall restocking on iron. Im pretty sure ive strip mined the initial iron node more or less bare. Its a giant pit that spreads out something like 10 blocks in all directions and ive looted probably round 100k iron from the dang thing overall. Time to get started on a new one. meanwhile both my forges are smelting it all down so I can crank out another thousand forged steel, I got my chem station up and squeezed out a few stacks of fuel from a casual bit of mining in the desert on my way to visit the traders on new stock day, forged my steel club, and am now back in my private mine cavern slowly expanding in all directions until i hit something interesting aside from nitrate. Got enough cement in stock to build my next section of horde base and if im wrong ive got so freaking much stone from expanding my cavern that i can create as much as I want in short order. Now I can relax and go back to doing stuff like running missions for fun and profit. With daring adventurer maxxed and better barter almost maxxed that should net me enough cash and rewards to get whatever I need.
    Last edited by Traab; 2021-05-24 at 09:27 AM.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

I like to build my horde base ceiling out of fence so I can a) see the birds to respond to them, and b) shoot them through the fence so they don't keep pounding on the ceiling.

I have also discovered that base moats with spikes work great... right up to the point where you get cop zombies, at which point it ceases to have any functionality other than provide zombies cover while they dig into your base.

Killing halls seem to work really well, though. Use hatches on the floor to create choke points and just go to town on them. Might get an occasional jumper work their way through, but that's what sledgehammers are for. This is especially fun if you have a couple of molotovs or pipe bombs to huck down the hallway.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Underlord View Post
    All hail great Shneekeythulhu! Ia Ia Shneeky fthagn
    Spoiler
    Show
    Quite possibly, the best rebuttal I have ever witnessed.
    Joker Bard - the DM's solution to the Batman Wizard.
    Takahashi no Onisan - The scariest Samurai alive
    Incarnum and YOU: a reference guide
    Soulmelds, by class and slot: Another Incarnum reference
    Multiclassing for Newbies: A reference guide for the rest of us

My homebrew world in progress: Falcora

29. - Top - End - #59

Quote Originally Posted by ShneekeyTheLost View Post
    I like to build my horde base ceiling out of fence so I can a) see the birds to respond to them, and b) shoot them through the fence so they don't keep pounding on the ceiling.

I have also discovered that base moats with spikes work great... right up to the point where you get cop zombies, at which point it ceases to have any functionality other than provide zombies cover while they dig into your base.

Killing halls seem to work really well, though. Use hatches on the floor to create choke points and just go to town on them. Might get an occasional jumper work their way through, but that's what sledgehammers are for. This is especially fun if you have a couple of molotovs or pipe bombs to huck down the hallway.
    I found the double hatch, floor and ceiling stops the leapers dead in their tracks, make the hall three blocks high and the middle is wide open for a kill hall. Nothing gets through there without destroying the hatches first. Put a hatch on each square and two open hatches means you are far enough back to not be hit by anything but the leaper zombies who keep clipping through, but you can melee them to death easy. Maybe what I should do is make the hallway longer, and leave the back with iron bars on the roof to get the birds, as they do a great job of stalking me, hitting whatever block in standing under on a regular basis. I honestly didnt expect them to come within a whisker of breaking through the roof on the day 7 horde so I didnt worry about it when I was unable to attach hatches to bars. But I figure it would be fine to walk backwards to lure the vultures into range while the zombies work on my hatches. But yeah, double hatch or else spider zombies and dogs will charge right to your face and eat it.

Also, i think I mentioned it awhile back, but I honestly love doing ramps instead of stairs at my horde base entrance, as watching the knocked down zombies slide back is amusing, and my ramp takes almost zero damage by the end of the horde night. Im guessing making them hop up to the next block means some are likely to take a swing as they go. Another useful tactic ive seen that works is, put the ramp blocks sideways at the entrance to the hall so it works like a funnel guiding them all into the hall instead of milling around the single square block width entrance. Again, the ramp blocks take almost zero damage because the zombies arent being held up in progress by the blocks so they dont attack them trying to force their way through. At least thats my theory. Aside from my roof, the rest of my base was at 95%-100% by nights end.

I think my next "fancy" addition to the horde base is going to be the catwalk they can be knocked off of. I may try to push to get enough talent points so I can run two turrets at once, build a little pill box for me to stand in at the end, and have a door on each side that leads to my turrets so I can reload them at need. Get a good length on the catwalk so it takes them time to reach me, and keep shooting them off as they come in. Either that or I will get a sledge turret, build up a supply of pipe bombs, dig a deep steel lined pit, and just murder them that way. I do enjoy watching them ragdoll in explosions in youtube videos. Shoot them on incoming, and once enough get knocked into the pit, or there is a lull between waves, crack tubes and BOOM! Since steel is resistant to explosions as well as being the toughest material I can build out of, it should handle things fine. Worst case scenario it eventually takes enough damage for them to dig their way out in which case it will have probably done enough to be worth the effort and can be fixed and improved for next time.

30. - Top - End - #60

Ok so, its the day after the 14 horde and wow have I got a lot to share. First off, leading up to horde night. Ive unlocked tier 5 quests, I was able to purchase a gyrocoptor, and after spending time offline to read how to steer the stupid thing, used it to find the trader I got sent to last. Secondly, I setup auto turrets over my horde base to handle birds, and got my turret talent maxxed out so junky can hold lots of ammo, do lots of damage, and once i get a second good one, have two out there at all times. I also setup some auto turrets on my home base, havent had much chance to test their effectiveness yet but it seems to be working for sniping the screamers before I get in trouble.

Ok, so horde night. I built an arm leading off my killing hallway so I could mount my junk turret at an angle that lets him pelt the incoming horde and be able to easily restock him. When I get my second junky I will do the same on the other side for some crossfire. Put up some bars to try and prevent the jumpers from getting lucky and leaping up. Upgraded my hatches to vault hatches because ive got a plethora of steel and already have my base fully built out of the stuff. So horde night happens and HOLY (*&^(&*^ My junk turret is SLAUGHTERING these guys. At first I thought he would only be good at shooting the ones on the ramp, and I wasnt hearing a lot of gunfire sound so I thought I screwed up, but then I noticed my exp gained was ticking up while I wasnt doing anything. Turns out my turret can also shoot downwards in his range and he was flat out murdering the zombies. Only downside is even with the maxed skill, he runs out of ammo so freaking fast. I basically loaded him up then brought a stack with me and was out of ammo about halfway through the night, would have been faster but I wasnt always able to tell when he ran out of ammo other than suddenly having to kill a couple zombies myself. ;p

My anti air turrets did a GREAT job. After the horde was done I went to the roof and like 5 blocks took a single hit. The zombie makeup of the horde was soldiers, cops, and some irradiated random zombies. Not a lot of animals but I cant be sure if that was just my turret murdering them before they could reach my hatches. This horde was beat fast. It wasnt even 2am and the last zombie was dead. Got a lot of loot, mostly stuff to sell to the trader in the morning. Minimal effort to repair the hatches to hold back the swarm. Basically, from what i can tell, I have overbuilt my horde base for current threats. Until demolishers and irradiated cop level zombies start showing up its going to be smooth sailing for me. So long as I can manage to not fall off the catwalk anymore. I didnt even need to use ammo except for getting bored and deciding to use something other than my burning steel club of smashy doom. (tm) Maybe I will build a fully enclosed hallway to each turret to avoid the risk. Not like I dont have the material available to do it. I only did it a simple catwalk because it was 16:00 on horde night and I didnt want to get fancy and risk my cement not drying in time.

Oh, I also got the 7/7 club batter up reward of my stamina auto filling every time I club a baby seal zombie to death, so that made it hilariously easy to swing for the fences on horde night and never get tired.