Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: OOC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

I guess it depends on who it actually is. I've had extremely negative experiences with Awful and Spore and would rather not play with them.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Griffon

{Scrubbed}
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-05-04 at 06:09 PM. Reason: Scrubbed

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

It is neither of those people. Zero Prime wishes to join us with a gunslinger fighter.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

That's fine by me.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Archemist, did you want a list of titles? Or is there anything in particular that Mara would be looking for?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    Archemist, did you want a list of titles? Or is there anything in particular that Mara would be looking for?
    No particular list - I’m guessing she knows generally about Mordenkainen, but she’ll ask more about Fistandia and any other names that might be folks around the library. She’s trying to pick up some names to drop, etc. but she also has her own wizardly curiosity.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

7. - Top - End - #67
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Could I get a deception check from Mara, with any other modifiers to help with her Amn costume.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Could I get a deception check from Mara, with any other modifiers to help with her Amn costume.
    Sure, she’s just got her disguise kit and proficiency in Deception: (1d20+4)[16]. And she is actually from Amn so her accent is probably ok.
    "Never let your sense of morals prevent you from doing what is right." - Salvor Hardin

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Oh my mistake, I thought she was impersonating being from Amn as well. If it's just her rank, nevermind.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Firbolg in the Playground

I just got a PM from someone that was in the recruitment thread, they are liking our RP and were interested in being added as a 5th character. What do you guys think?
    Sure, sounds fine. Plenty of opportunity to add someone in at this point.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Just checking in. Did other people want to post? Or is the party heading to the pillars?

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

I think that was the plan, yeah. Not sure I had more at the Hearth.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

I'm ready to move forward.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

I'm fine moving forwards. Unless that bard has anything really interesting to say. (But even then, you could just summarize that or do a split-time sort of post if you really wanted.)

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Oh sorry, I totally forgot you wanted to talk to the bard. Lets just say you made friendly introductions for now, he enjoyed your playing and he played fairly well as well. I will flesh him out a bit more and we can have you two meet and talk again next time you are in the tavern.

Also Archemist, I just noticed your signature. I have been rereading Foundation in anticipation of the new TV show. Just started Foundation's Edge.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch
    AC: 15 | HP: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14| PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

Spoiler: APPEARANCE
    Show
    Appearance: Besmara is an attractive young woman with a broad face, high cheekbones, and a narrow chin. Her face framed in shoulder length, auburn curls, typically held from her eyes by a brightly colored kercheif, over which she wears a worn and weathered tricorn hat. A bright red scarf around her neck, a thick, leather and brocade captain's coat protects, a cotton blouse with a leather vest, thick board belt from which hangs an array of weaponry, and a custom tooled leather holster for her unique, renaissance pistol. A bandoleer of ammunition and powder horns hangs from her shoulders.

Spoiler: BACKGROUND
    Show
    Background: Besmara was born in Calimsham, the daughter of a renowned craftsman and tinkerer, however, she quickly grew to despise the strictly hierarchical society she was born into. As second daughter, her only value to her family was her marriage and the increase in status she could bring with the correct suitor. As such she rebelled against her tutors, often escaping the family manor to play in the gutters with the lower class, kick-ball, chase & catch, and hide & seek being her favorites. Though, if she were being truthful, the abashed look on her mother's face when the houseguard came to collect her was amusing to the young child as well.

Her father, however, was much more loving and supportive of his daughter's rebellious streak, and would allow her in his work shop as he tinkered with his clockwork creations and alchemical concoctions. She would pester him with a relentless barrage of questions, and, amused by her inquisitive nature, and curious questions, he instructed her in the basics of his craft, somewhat hampered be her academic shortcomings, she seemed to possess an inuitive understandings of the craft, much to her father's surprise.

In time, her mother found a suitable match for her, a young well placed noble, and to secure the marriage, her father proposed to craft the young man's father, a pistol of exquisite design. However, shortly before the young couple was married, Besmara returned to her father's workshop, her lip split and face bloodied by her fiance's fist. Her father, outraged, refused the man's request to return his daughter to his son, and so the noble, instead, turned his petition to the nobility of Calimsham itself. Instead of committing his daughter to a life of fear, and abuse, he encouraged her to flee. She agreed, however, refusing to back down she intended to meet her suitor and thrash him to within an inch of his life. However, she found his house guards moving towards her family's manor, afraid of what the armed guards would do she fled, to warn her father to flee. However, the house guard beat her to the compound, and set it to flame, hiding in her father's workshop she watched as her suitor beat her father, took his dowery, the masterfully crafted renaissance pistol, and leave her father in the flames.

As the houseguard departed, she tried to drag her father from the flames, but he was pinned beneath a collapsed wall, he pushed his journals into her arms, and told his daughter to flee, that she was now free to be who, and what she so desired. Tears and ash stained her face as she fled, hiding in the dingy hold of a ship at dock, only revealing herself when the ship was beset by pirates.

Marched to the deck, she, as well as the merchant sailors, were offered the opportunity to join the pirates, or remain shackled by their owners whips and lashes. So she joined the pirate crew, distinguishing herself as a quick study, and fiery tempered sailor, all the while working from her father's notes to craft herself a crude, yet functional renaissance pistol of her own. She spent a number of months among the crew, before they were routed by the Flaming Fist while raiding the Grey Harbour, as her captain surrendered, the crew was placed in shackles. Imprisoned for a short time, she was able to commute her sentence by serving the Fist for a year, before regaining her freedom, she was, however, branded a criminal.

She thought to raise a crew of her own to seek revenge against her family's aggressor's, her suitor's noble house, by pirating their merchant vessels. However, to gain the information she needed, she would have to petition for access to the greatest scholars in the land. As such, she transcribed her father's notes, and presented them to the Avowed Order who protected the Keeps doors, sharing with them information on the creation of both smokepowder, and renaissance firearms.

There we go! So she's not the most scholarly character, but I think I detailed a plausible way for her to gain access to the Library of the Keep. She does have a criminals brand, a series of scars caused by a red hot rivet being driven into shackles leaving burn scars on the insides of your wrists, so some scholars may give her the side eye. In my head canon, she can use Dex+Proficiency for tinkering, because it requires careful, steady hands, given that she knows (ie. is proficient with) the plans. Basically the only things she can make, without finding more schematics, are her pistol & it's ammunition.

I left her suitor's family name open, because we could tie them in with other characters backgrounds, or otherwise tie me in with my fellow players.

Any comments, concerns, or questions, feel free to hit me up and we can refluff things to make them work.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Great job on the backstory. My only question is what's "Addt'l" ?

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

Lol, my short hand for additional, to remind me to pick one!

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Love the character too! I was thinking of how to get the group together... come up with a reason for your character to want to meet Matreous. I am ok with having his hobby be making fireworks or something so you are looking for his gunpowder knowledge (just an idea). Then have you enter the room shortly after the rest of the group.
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-10 at 12:27 PM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ogre in the Playground

What, if anything, would Besmara know of Matreous, assuming we've dissected my father's journal together?

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I was hoping to keep the relationship new or non existent to keep the mystery alive. Perhaps you have just learned of him or just made his acquaintance. So you might know his appearance, or his specialties. Curses and an interest in flint lock weapons
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-11 at 01:00 AM.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Right about now would be a great time for Besmara's entrance

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

Just doing some housework, I'll get a post up this afternoon!

24. - Top - End - #84
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

I will get everyone's actions done as soon as introductions have finished. It's nice to have you Zero Prime, loving Besmara already.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Ok if I could get investigation rolls from Lady Runa and Besmara. Also, Runa, ate you knocking or just entering the other rooms in this level?

And Eleazar if I could get an arcana check.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Besmara's intelligence 8s 8, so her untrained Investigation is (1d20-1)[2]. Not likely to be very impressive!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Runa would knock before opening, yeah.

Investigation: (1d20)[18]