New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Default Soon Fell Instead of Kraagor?

Well, we are at the final book where everything is leading up to this. As we stand and look upon all the players, including ones we don't know and likely have forgotten about, coming together, we all must look back and see how it started. With the final Gate being made at the cost of Kraagor's life and the final domino that set the fallout between the Scribblers.

But, what if it was Soon Kim who fell? Perhaps he took the fatal blow instead instead of Kraagor? Maybe even pushing him out of the way if he had the chance to do?

How does that lead things?

After all, from what has been speculated, Soon Kim's leadership style and priorizing the goal over the safety of his comrades was a large portion of the fallout and seperated him from the others (though we don't know how he viewed the others outside of some minor and skewed hints at Girard and Dorukan and the fact he started it with Lirian). However, here, he falls giving his life for their quest and ensuring none of them died but him?

The others would still go to guard their Gates with Kraagor working on his, however that may be, though we know little of how he could (perhaps the others help?) Serini would likely take it upon herself to make Soon's Tomb or Soon's Mausoleum in Azure City, likely combining his belief in the righteous belief in paladins' honor with her own roguish knowledge (especially since I imagine she'd realize the toxic political environment of Azure City aristocracy). Maybe the Paladins who guard it just do so defensively and thus don't go on crusades?

How would the others go?

I figure this would be a fun thought experiment.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Soon Fell Instead of Kraagor?

Well, for one, it would be a bit strange for Soon to have started the Sapphire Guard before there was a Sapphire to guard. Plus, Shojo remembered Soon as an old man, so unless Kraagor had some good Deception and Disguise, I don't really think that holds up. Plus the statue to Kraagor would be an oddity.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Well, for one, it would be a bit strange for Soon to have started the Sapphire Guard before there was a Sapphire to guard. Plus, Shojo remembered Soon as an old man, so unless Kraagor had some good Deception and Disguise, I don't really think that holds up. Plus the statue to Kraagor would be an oddity.
    I am pretty sure this is a hypothetical situation.
    My extended signature

Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

4. - Top - End - #4
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Yeah, hence the what-if. It was a hypothetical question to explore the world and so on...

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by CountDVB View Post
    Yeah, hence the what-if. It was a hypothetical question to explore the world and so on...
    Seeing as how our main villain was motivated by the Sapphire Guard and their actions, and by extension our protagonists came about because of the Sapphire Guard, and our window into the world was based on these people... I'm not sure it's really a place we can make much comment? Like, it's a fertile ground for fanfiction maybe, but it's not something that you can make reliable predictions around, so it seems like we'd mostly be talking past each other.

Like, the whole set up with the 5 gates being defended individually had a fight between Girard and Soon as the catalyst. We don't even get the opening strips the way they played out without Soon dying.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    We should try to make that a thing; I think it might help civility. Hey, GitP, let's try to make this a thing: when you're arguing optimization strategies, RAW-logic, and similar such things that you'd never actually use in a game, tag your post [THEORETICAL] and/or use green text

6. - Top - End - #6
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    I am pretty sure this is a hypothetical situation.
    Ahhhhh. I am not a smart man.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Seeing as how our main villain was motivated by the Sapphire Guard and their actions, and by extension our protagonists came about because of the Sapphire Guard, and our window into the world was based on these people... I'm not sure it's really a place we can make much comment? Like, it's a fertile ground for fanfiction maybe, but it's not something that you can make reliable predictions around, so it seems like we'd mostly be talking past each other.

Like, the whole set up with the 5 gates being defended individually had a fight between Girard and Soon as the catalyst. We don't even get the opening strips the way they played out without Soon dying.
    True, but that does not mean that there wouldn’t be conflict within the group. Dorukan and Lirian seemed to separate from Serini and Girard and not sure how it will be here with Kraagor.

The goblins would still be motivated to seek out the Gates given the presence of the Crimson Mantle, though that would still play out different. Xykon would still be a threat though I imagine not as big.

As for the other Gates, well, I wonder if Dorukan had a plan in case he died. How different Azure City would be if the Sapphire Guard was more defense-based and on guarding Soon’s Tomb?

Would the Vector Legion ever have found Girard’s Gate?

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

It was Kraagor's death that caused the breakup of the Order of the Squiggle. Soon's death wouldn't cause such an emotional explosion, so if he dies the OotSquiggle doesn't break up. This means that they work together to create defenses for each of the gates.

And the Order of the Stick never forms, either: Without the Sapphire Guard killing all the other clerics of the Dark one, the goblin known as Redcloak never becomes the Bearer of the Crimson. This means that Redcloak never teams up with Xykon, so Xykon never becomes a lich and dies of old age before the comic starts.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    It was Kraagor's death that caused the breakup of the Order of the Squiggle. Soon's death wouldn't cause such an emotional explosion, so if he dies the OotSquiggle doesn't break up. This means that they work together to create defenses for each of the gates.

And the Order of the Stick never forms, either: Without the Sapphire Guard killing all the other clerics of the Dark one, the goblin known as Redcloak never becomes the Bearer of the Crimson. This means that Redcloak never teams up with Xykon, so Xykon never becomes a lich and dies of old age before the comic starts.
    Possibly though I note how Serini and Girard never stayed in contact with Lirian and Dorukan and there's also Kraagor to consider.

I am wondering if the Gates would be kept secret or not...

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To quote a great mentor:
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi-wan Kenobi
    "Then the Emperor has already won. You were our only hope."
    Soon dying means no separate Gate defenses that each of the members of the Scribble don't know about. Even more importantly: There is no cause for the Scribblers to break up. That means the protections laid down on very much lessened because each member would be expecting the others to show up to assist.

But, what if it was Soon Kim who fell? Perhaps he took the fatal blow instead instead of Kraagor? Maybe even pushing him out of the way if he had the chance to do?

How does that lead things?

The others would still go to guard their Gates with Kraagor working on his, however that may be, though we know little of how he could (perhaps the others help?) Serini would likely take it upon herself to make Soon's Tomb or Soon's Mausoleum in Azure City, likely combining his belief in the righteous belief in paladins' honor with her own roguish knowledge (especially since I imagine she'd realize the toxic political environment of Azure City aristocracy). Maybe the Paladins who guard it just do so defensively and thus don't go on crusades?
    Given how the portrayal was in lore, I don't think it is believable that Serini would erect a statue for Soon or a tomb, or even work to create something. You have to remember that pretty much every member of the Scribblers didn't care for Soon at all, whereas Kraagor was well-liked. If you go by Girard's comment that Soon should have died and the party not responding to this comment.

Without Soon there are no Sapphire Guard, and no Sapphire Guard to go taking out threats to that Gate, which means more threats to the Gates as a whole. Then there is no real effort to stop the Dark One or the bearer of the Crimson Mantle.

Without Soon, the Scribblers don't fracture apart because I didn't get the Impression that Soon's death would have been so tragic seeming for them. That means it is highly unlikely that Serini immortalizes Soon, because there is nothing in the Lore that suggests Serini cared that much for Soon, and everything that I have read of the Scribblers suggests that with Soon being in charge, it was Teeth-Clenched Teamwork for the others to varying degrees.

Consider that of the surviving members of the Scribblers, only Soon kept the oath not to contact each other or interact with the Gates.

Consider in the scene of the breakup, it is Soon going against Girard and Dorukan with Lirian standing off looking unsure about what to do, and Serini standing off. That clearly shows that Soon was not liked by the party.

If Kraagor lives, then the Scribblers don't employ separate methods for protecting the Gates, because they are still a team and not responsible for a single gate which they don't share defending. That means defeating one gate's defenses means that you can defeat all of them now.

Redcloak might not be the bearer of the Crimson Mantle this time around with Soon dying instead, but the attempt to do the Dark One's plan will still happen.

Whether Xykon is involved will depend on what decisions are made by the Current (The owner who had the Mantle that gave it to Redcloak) will do, and if that person will recruit Xykon or not.

So, may die of old age, or die in Lirian's cell or die from other thing. Or Xykon becomes a Lich.

As for events, only 1 or 2 gates will end up getting destroyed but there is a considerably much higher chance that a gate gets taken over by evil forces. Maybe even the Crimson Mantle person is able to set the Dark One's plan in motion years earlier.

It is not clear how the Gates would shuffle out with Soon gone and Kraagor alive. It is unlikely in this scenario that they would separate and be responsible for an individual gate.

Then, I don't' see the Scribblers arguing over how to defend the Gates either, since that argument came up as part of emotional crises over Kraagor's death. With Soon dying, it would be in character for Girard or more members to say "Good Riddance" and then discuss what to do about the Gates. They are more likely to agree on making different parts of the defense and spreading out that responsibility and then applying the defenses to each gate in turn. All of the same ones.

So, goodbye world far sooner than we knew you
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-03-21 at 05:28 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

We don't actually know the full story of what happened or why it lead to the rift in the group yet. So we can't really say "What would have happened if Soon died" if we don't even fully know what happened when Kraagor died. Rich has said that this is integral to the plot and will be explored, but I don't think we've gotten anywhere near enough information to even know if Kraagor is actually dead.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    We don't actually know the full story of what happened or why it lead to the rift in the group yet. So we can't really say "What would have happened if Soon died" if we don't even fully know what happened when Kraagor died. Rich has said that this is integral to the plot and will be explored, but I don't think we've gotten anywhere near enough information to even know if Kraagor is actually dead.
    We do know that his "death" was not well received and that Girard wished that Soon had died. Plus we know that Soon was calling for the Gate to be sealed even though he and Kraagor were not safely away.

Soon was the cause of many or seemly all of the party's stated problems, like the ones of bad feeling and stuff in the time the Scribblers spent as a group. I don't see that those issues boil to a problem without the death of beloved figure invoking grief at the same time.

Given that we see members of the Scribblers ready to fight each other (Soon vs Girard and Dorukon), I don't think you will end up with that happening if Soon died instead of Kraagor.

Given what happens here, I don't think that occurs with Kraagor if he is alive. Looks like to me that the problems and such that caused the Scribblers to break up with directly related to Soon.

also the few comics after this
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-03-21 at 05:51 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by NerdyKris View Post
    I came here to say this. We don't know what actually did happen yet, so speculating about what might have happened otherwise is pretty flimsy.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I think the title of this thread is misworded, Kraagor didn't fall, that was Miko, Kraagor died an honourable death, even if the Snarl ate his soul.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I think the title of this thread is misworded, Kraagor didn't fall, that was Miko, Kraagor died an honourable death, even if the Snarl ate his soul.
    "Fell" can mean die, especially in the context of dying in battle.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    OP intended the title of the thread to include the "What If?" tag that was applied to the beginning.

For my own part, I concur with people upthread who are of the opinion that if Soon fell and not Kraagor, the Scribblers probably wouldn't have fallen apart in the aftermath. They may still have gone through with the idea of "take the Gate closest to your homeland and guard it" but would probably have actively collaborated in their defense and responded to whichever one(s) was/were under threat, if any. They may all have gotten to epic levels, but they were all mortal and aging and couldn't adventure forever before retiring and handing things over to descendants and/or successors.

Kraagor would have probably taken the northernmost Gate as it's in proximity to the dwarven homelands, but obviously wouldn't have set up the defenses the same way as Serini did. Ironically, he may have formed a dwarven version of the Sapphire Guard (the Ruby Brigade maybe?) made up of the mightiest warriors he could find to ceaselessly guard the Gate day and night and eliminate any nearby threats. Probably the bugbears, for instance, would have gotten the same treatment as the Sapphire Guard dealt to the goblins and hobgoblins, to say nothing of the frost giants and any other antagonistic arctic dwellers.

Serini probably would have ended up with the Azure City rift instead and teamed up with all sorts of ninja to surround it with roguish misdirections and traps like she seems to have done with the webcomic's northernmost Gate. No Sapphire Guard under Soon would probably mean no crusades to wipe out all those in range who might threaten the Gate, and thus no massacres that would give rise to Redcloak (and, by extension, Xykon's lichdom) or would give urgency to the Dark One's plan to upend the world's biased racial order. Then again, ninja allies under Serini's command might just, instead, surgically assassinate any goblinoid leader who rises enough to be a threat to the Azure City Gate rather than massacre entire realms.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TheNecrocomicon View Post
    *snipped for size*
    I agree almost entirely with this take. The major difference I have with this is that as a barbarian, Kraagor's elite order would not be a uniform oath-bound corps of loyal soldiers, but a chaotic group of highly emotional, individually-skilled warriors, perhaps more akin to something like the Sacred Band of Thebes or a fantasy version of the Justice League, where each individual member is strong on their own and likely has a unique strength, and they are bound by emotions like fraternity and friendship rather than cold duty and oaths. That said, I think Kraagor's group would still result in positive-energy ghost-martyrs when defeated in the defense of the Gate. However, instead of returning from the dead due to loyalty and duty, it would be raw, chaotic emotion that would fuel their return.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    I agree almost entirely with this take. The major difference I have with this is that as a barbarian, Kraagor's elite order would not be a uniform oath-bound corps of loyal soldiers, but a chaotic group of highly emotional, individually-skilled warriors, perhaps more akin to something like the Sacred Band of Thebes or a fantasy version of the Justice League, where each individual member is strong on their own and likely has a unique strength, and they are bound by emotions like fraternity and friendship rather than cold duty and oaths. That said, I think Kraagor's group would still result in positive-energy ghost-martyrs when defeated in the defense of the Gate. However, instead of returning from the dead due to loyalty and duty, it would be raw, chaotic emotion that would fuel their return.
    BRB, going to go summon some Wrath Elementals.
    Last edited by TheNecrocomicon; 2021-03-24 at 02:47 PM.
    I prepared Explosive Runes before writing this signature.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

This thread is a strange piece of speculation that requires the entire story to be rewritten save the first dozen or so strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by georgie_leech View Post
    Like, it's a fertile ground for fanfiction
    That's all it's good for, if that.

For the OP: I leave it as an exercise for the reader (which is you) to rebuild the plot from scratch and write your own story. If you are good at art, you might be able to make a web comic out of it.

You might as well have asked "What if Gollum had killed and eaten Bilbo in that cave when they first met?"
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

20. - Top - End - #20
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KorvinStarmast View Post

You might as well have asked "What if Gollum had killed and eaten Bilbo in that cave when they first met?"
    Well, this is actually easy.

Spoiler
    Show

As abbandoning friends in need isn't very Gandalfish, I think that the group would go back to look for Bilbo. Then, as there were more dwarfs then wizards, one of them would eventually find Gollum, understand what happened and then kill the creature, claiming the ring. Surely the will of the rings would agree with me that a dwarf master is better then a hobbit one. Then out of the cave, Thorin would discover what happened and the one ring, and they would try to hide it from Gandalf (who still is too good to become a thief, and too afraid to take the ring for himself). The next logical conclusion would that the group would continue the mission, and when they will find impossible to kill Smaug without Bilbo, Thorin would use the power of the ring to rise some power to defeat the dragon. The book aren't really clear about the power of the One Ring, except for granting invisibility and preserving from old age, but everywhere has been said that the ring can be used to win war, so Thorin would find a way.

Then the dwarfs would found some kind of nation in the north with Thorin as their king, and they would rise an army. At the same time, Sauron would know that his ring has been found, so he would move to Mordor and begin rising his own army. Now Gondor isn't in the way, instead he would prepare a plan to invade Mirkwood. Sauron would try to make an alliance with Saruman, or better he would try to manipulate Saruman into it, and Isengard would start producing Uruk-hai and a second army. Then the plan of the evil forces is easy: Saruman, believing he can gain the ring first, would betray and attack Rohan first, preparing for a big war marching to the Anduin river. As Saruman would expose himself, Gondor would answer Rohan's call, as Minas Thirith doesn't know that there is another danger nearer at Mordor. After some struggles and at least two battles, the union of men is victorious and they go to siege Isengard.
    Having cut the good forces at half, Sauron would then move his orcs to the North. Elrond would try to make elves and dwarfs fight togheter, so he would summon the Council, trying both to forge a last last alliance and to convince Thorin to give up the ring. Obviously Elrond fails.

Being divided and without allies, Mirkwood would fall to the orc army. The forest would burn and even darker creatures would join Sauron's army. But, things will change!

During all this events (that would have lasted the time dividing The Hobbit to tLotR), a friendship between four strange characters would change the course of the events. Two men, an elf and a dwarf will travel all of this lands, and in the end, with Gandalf help, they will rise an united army in Lorièn. A very big battle happen, and the forces of evil are defeated... But it isn't enough. Sauron himself will travel to the north, and will duel with Thorin with the help of the Witch King, Nazgul against dwarf prince, Dark Lord against the King under the Mountain. Sauron would win and finally claiming the ring for himself, but the battle is lost, so he retires to Mordor again, where a even bigger army of both orcs and southern men is ready to fight.

The remaining of the good army would travel to Minas Thirith, where one last battle would decide the fate of Middle Earth. Here the city is taken by evil, but under the white tree Boromir will sacrifise himself (Sean Bean can't survive after all) to cut Sauron's finger again. Aragorn get the ring and kills Sauron for some time, and then, with the help of Gandalf and the eagles, they are able to destroy the ring and the Dark Lord once and for all.

Incoronation, marriage, end of the book.

This is obviously something stupid that I came up in like 10 minutes surely in a bad English; but I believe that a good writer/roleplayer can do anything and explain anything. It's fantasy, after all.
    Last edited by Synesthesy; 2021-03-25 at 01:04 PM.
    New suggestion: the MitD is an Italian Protean. Mamma mia!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Eyyy, I'm-a shiftin' da shapes and-a helping my amico Signore Stiffliano escape! Easyducio! Bada bing!

21. - Top - End - #21

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post

Spoiler
    Show

As abbandoning friends in need isn't very Gandalfish, I think that the group would go back to look for Bilbo. Then, as there were more dwarfs then wizards, one of them would eventually find Gollum, understand what happened and then kill the creature, claiming the ring. Surely the will of the rings would agree with me that a dwarf master is better then a hobbit one. Then out of the cave, Thorin would discover what happened and the one ring, and they would try to hide it from Gandalf (who still is too good to become a thief, and too afraid to take the ring for himself). The next logical conclusion would that the group would continue the mission, and when they will find impossible to kill Smaug without Bilbo, Thorin would use the power of the ring to rise some power to defeat the dragon. The book aren't really clear about the power of the One Ring, except for granting invisibility and preserving from old age, but everywhere has been said that the ring can be used to win war, so Thorin would find a way.

Then the dwarfs would found some kind of nation in the north with Thorin as their king, and they would rise an army. At the same time, Sauron would know that his ring has been found, so he would move to Mordor and begin rising his own army. Now Gondor isn't in the way, instead he would prepare a plan to invade Mirkwood. Sauron would try to make an alliance with Saruman, or better he would try to manipulate Saruman into it, and Isengard would start producing Uruk-hai and a second army. Then the plan of the evil forces is easy: Saruman, believing he can gain the ring first, would betray and attack Rohan first, preparing for a big war marching to the Anduin river. As Saruman would expose himself, Gondor would answer Rohan's call, as Minas Thirith doesn't know that there is another danger nearer at Mordor. After some struggles and at least two battles, the union of men is victorious and they go to siege Isengard.
    Having cut the good forces at half, Sauron would then move his orcs to the North. Elrond would try to make elves and dwarfs fight togheter, so he would summon the Council, trying both to forge a last last alliance and to convince Thorin to give up the ring. Obviously Elrond fails.

Being divided and without allies, Mirkwood would fall to the orc army. The forest would burn and even darker creatures would join Sauron's army. But, things will change!

During all this events (that would have lasted the time dividing The Hobbit to tLotR), a friendship between four strange characters would change the course of the events. Two men, an elf and a dwarf will travel all of this lands, and in the end, with Gandalf help, they will rise an united army in Lorièn. A very big battle happen, and the forces of evil are defeated... But it isn't enough. Sauron himself will travel to the north, and will duel with Thorin with the help of the Witch King, Nazgul against dwarf prince, Dark Lord against the King under the Mountain. Sauron would win and finally claiming the ring for himself, but the battle is lost, so he retires to Mordor again, where a even bigger army of both orcs and southern men is ready to fight.

The remaining of the good army would travel to Minas Thirith, where one last battle would decide the fate of Middle Earth. Here the city is taken by evil, but under the white tree Boromir will sacrifise himself (Sean Bean can't survive after all) to cut Sauron's finger again. Aragorn get the ring and kills Sauron for some time, and then, with the help of Gandalf and the eagles, they are able to destroy the ring and the Dark Lord once and for all.

This is obviously something stupid that I came up in like 10 minutes surely in a bad English; but I believe that a good writer/roleplayer can do anything and explain anything. It's fantasy, after all.
    I like this take, even if it's not strictly Tolkien in tone (Needs more Eagle, for a start)
    A thought experiment I keep playing with is what the ending of LOTR would be if Shelob had eaten Gollum (in the book, I think its implied Gollum goes ahead of the hobbits to beg Shelob for assistance in killing them? It's been a while since I read the whole thing).
    Last edited by Riftwolf; 2021-03-25 at 01:54 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    We do know that his "death" was not well received and that Girard wished that Soon had died. Plus we know that Soon was calling for the Gate to be sealed even though he and Kraagor were not safely away.

Soon was the cause of many or seemly all of the party's stated problems, like the ones of bad feeling and stuff in the time the Scribblers spent as a group. I don't see that those issues boil to a problem without the death of beloved figure invoking grief at the same time.

Given that we see members of the Scribblers ready to fight each other (Soon vs Girard and Dorukon), I don't think you will end up with that happening if Soon died instead of Kraagor.

Given what happens here, I don't think that occurs with Kraagor if he is alive. Looks like to me that the problems and such that caused the Scribblers to break up with directly related to Soon.

also the few comics after this
    Given that we've only seen the end have basically know idea about the middle, claiming Soon was the cause of all of their problems seem to be ignoring the actual context of what they were fighting about.

While it's a pretty safe bet that Girard already highly disliked Soon beforehand (because Girard was irrationally paranoid and hated any sort of authority), we have no real for anyone's opinion of Soon before the breakdown.

For that matter, mourning Kraagor's death does not mean he was more beloved than Soon, not in this context anyway. To use the Order for example, I'm certain that Elan would mourn Belkar's death, but that by itself does not indicate that Elan was closer to Belkar than he was... anyone else on the team.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Synesthesy View Post

Spoiler
    Show

Many years ago I read a fan fiction that described what would have happened if The Eldest (Tom Bombadil) had decided to keep the ring safe in his forests. The ending was a bit grimmer than yours. Thanks for your story, though, it was fun to read.
    Avatar by linklele. How Teleport Works
    a. Malifice (paraphrased):
    Rulings are not 'House Rules.' Rulings are a DM doing what DMs are supposed to do.
    b. greenstone (paraphrased):
    Agency means that they {players} control their character's actions; you control the world's reactions to the character's actions.
    Gosh, 2D8HP, you are so very correct!
    Second known member of the Greyview Appreciation Society

24. - Top - End - #24
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Given that we've only seen the end have basically know idea about the middle, claiming Soon was the cause of all of their problems seem to be ignoring the actual context of what they were fighting about.

While it's a pretty safe bet that Girard already highly disliked Soon beforehand (because Girard was irrationally paranoid and hated any sort of authority), we have no real for anyone's opinion of Soon before the breakdown.

For that matter, mourning Kraagor's death does not mean he was more beloved than Soon, not in this context anyway. To use the Order for example, I'm certain that Elan would mourn Belkar's death, but that by itself does not indicate that Elan was closer to Belkar than he was... anyone else on the team.
    Soon does bear more responsibility, but that is because he was the leader. The clashes between everyone seemed to be influenced by their moral alignment. Soon was the only Lawful one we know. Lirian and Dorukan were both Neutral Good while Girard was Chaotic Neutral and we don’t don know Serini or Kraagor. The former is possibly Chaotic Goood and the latter is non-Lawful (unless Kraagor is revealed to have some sort of homebrew Barbarian like prestige class that is available to Lawful folk). But I digress.

The ending of something is often a large framing device for the totality of their experience. It’s why narratives with bad endings we feel ruins the story. Endings influence the overall story and memories of that.

The others became bitter with Soon because his devotion to the “mission” outweighed their lives while he was their leader. Hence why Dorukan made the comment about avenging his wife over the safety of his allies. They perceived Soon’s “greater good” mentality as a callous act because Kraagor died as a result.

But that was because Kraagor died. Soon dying changes everything.

He was their leader and while they all may have had their grievances with him, he was still their comrade and leader. And him dying meant no one else did. He made sure everyone else was safe. Often times as a leader, you gotta make tough calls on who to sacrifice here. But here, by chance or by impulse, the only life sacrificed was his own. He died the way he lived, by that devotion to a duty. Following through on what it means to be a Paladin.

He made the call and paid for it, but thanks to him, everyone is safe except for him. That sort of impact would Be heavy on them, even on Girard.

Even as they may go their own Gates to tend, Kraagor’s would be where Soon died, having a profound impact.

25. - Top - End - #25

Soon does bear more responsibility, but that is because he was the leader. The clashes between everyone seemed to be influenced by their moral alignment. Soon was the only Lawful one we know. Lirian and Dorukan were both Neutral Good while Girard was Chaotic Neutral and we don’t don know Serini or Kraagor. The former is possibly Chaotic Goood and the latter is non-Lawful (unless Kraagor is revealed to have some sort of homebrew Barbarian like prestige class that is available to Lawful folk). But I digress.

The ending of something is often a large framing device for the totality of their experience. It’s why narratives with bad endings we feel ruins the story. Endings influence the overall story and memories of that.

The others became bitter with Soon because his devotion to the “mission” outweighed their lives while he was their leader. Hence why Dorukan made the comment about avenging his wife over the safety of his allies. They perceived Soon’s “greater good” mentality as a callous act because Kraagor died as a result.

But that was because Kraagor died. Soon dying changes everything.

He was their leader and while they all may have had their grievances with him, he was still their comrade and leader. And him dying meant no one else did. He made sure everyone else was safe. Often times as a leader, you gotta make tough calls on who to sacrifice here. But here, by chance or by impulse, the only life sacrificed was his own. He died the way he lived, by that devotion to a duty. Following through on what it means to be a Paladin.

He made the call and paid for it, but thanks to him, everyone is safe except for him. That sort of impact would Be heavy on them, even on Girard.

Even as they may go their own Gates to tend, Kraagor’s would be where Soon died, having a profound impact.
    This is a fair point, I was just pointing out the issue with presuming the end result was saw tells us everything about their relationships, and that nothing changes if you change that result. Everyone mourning Kragor does not necessarily mean he was "beloved" anymore than the eventual mourning of Belkar (which I'm certain will happen) will indicate that he generally was (I thought Kragor was anywhere near as bad a Belkar, but that's irrelevant for the point). Similarly, if part of the issue with Soon is the others blamed him for Kragor's death, then take that away and there's no reason to assume that no one would care. Girard might be fine with it but, again, Girard was overly paranoid and spiteful towards authority in general so that doesn't tell us much.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

I think the major issue is where the Sapphire Guard came from. There must've been Paladins besides Soon. With Kraagor alive, he would've claimed the Gate closest to his homeland. Serini would've taken Soon's Gate in that case. She would've made Soon's Gate according to his strength. The Guard was named after the paladins' "guard" of the "sapphire". There's no guarantee that Soon dying would erase the Guard from existence.

The point of Divergence is if The Order of the Scribble would've broken up if Soon wasn't there to be the scapegoat for Kraagor's death. The thing is, yes they would have. They would all go back home and agree to guard the gates. The difference being that there may have been less hostility and no "non-interference" clause involved. They weren't all going to live in the same house after the adventure regardless of any personal breaks occurring or not occurring between them.

My guess is when Sereni took Soon's Gate, she would get an Order of Paladins together and get them to swear to protect it, maybe multiclass into paladin as she suggested. They would then declared themselves the Guardians of the Sapphire Gate or the Sapphire Guard. Then Soon's Gate would be more pragmatic and maybe have a few more tricks then the current Stickverse one. Given the Lawful nature of the Guard, the tricks would be more like "divine trap" level similar to Lirian's magic removing disease kinda deal. Like someone evil approaching the Gate would get zapped by Protect from Evil spells or something and there would be multiple fake Sapphire Gates throughout the city.

Like the throne room wouldn't be where the Gate was. The throne room would be in a different part of the city and that Sapphire would be a decoy. The actual Gate would be hidden in a secret room within a library full of Guard's secrets or something. The Library of Secrets would another place no one would question is heavily guarded. It would be considered a Holy Place or something. One of the books would claim the Gate was in the throne room as a misdirect. Something along those lines.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2021-03-27 at 02:23 AM.
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    The point of Divergence is if The Order of the Scribble would've broken up if Soon wasn't there to be the scapegoat for Kraagor's death. The thing is, yes they would have.
    Why do you think this would happen? It's kind of the foundation of your theories, and you don't provide any reasoning to back it up.

I think the major issue is where the Sapphire Guard came from.
    Soon created the Sapphire Guard from "the noblest samurai" of Azure city.

With Kraagor alive, he would've claimed the Gate closest to his homeland. Serini would've taken Soon's Gate in that case.
    Not necessarily. With Soon dead and Kraagor alive, we have no idea who ends up with which gate, as we have no information about where anyone's homeland is. It could very well be that in this scenario no one gets the same gate that they did in the actual comic.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Colossus in the Playground

Lirian's gate in the "elven homelands" being close to where Lirian lives is implied.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0276.html

While I'd agree that "we each take the one closest to our homeland" might get thrown off a little with Soon dead and Kraagor alive:

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0277.html

I think it's plausible that Girard came from the Western Continent not too far away from the desert Gate, and that Dorukan came from the Northern continent not too far from Redmountain hills, and that Kraagor came from even further north - the "Dwarven homelands" - same general area that Durkon came from.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Why do you think this would happen? It's kind of the foundation of your theories, and you don't provide any reasoning to back it up.

Soon created the Sapphire Guard from "the noblest samurai" of Azure city.

Not necessarily. With Soon dead and Kraagor alive, we have no idea who ends up with which gate, as we have no information about where anyone's homeland is. It could very well be that in this scenario no one gets the same gate that they did in the actual comic.
    We don't really know what his job was before he became an adventurer. Was he an adviser, a guard, a ruler, he mentions having to got back to check in or go back to whatever organization he was part of right before his wife was killed by the Snarl.
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Colossus in the Playground

We don't really know what his job was before he became an adventurer.
    We know he wasn't the ruler - we specifically see him handing over the Sapphire to the actual ruler - Ronjo. And War & XPs (end of the book notes on Azure City) mentions that the then-ruler Ronjo, Shojo's father, constructed the castle.

We also know that he was "on a diplomatic mission to the elven lands" so at least one of his jobs was diplomat.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2021-03-27 at 02:29 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele