1. - Top - End - #361
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Principia IC

Competition of Minds
    Mor 8
    Inf 3

Spoiler: Hegemony, Public
    Show
    Nothing else you have said outlines the arrogance of your false gods so perfectly.

When you suffer a setback the entire Galaxy must stop and aid you. No one else had the need to make demands of other nations. Yet when we suffer a heinous attack against our people you call us out as trying to use tragedy for our own ends.

We actually have reasons for our accusations.
    - The PPS reveal of the Shade owning the completed Null Box.
    - The message the Shade sent the Hegemony saying "We can also use the nullbox to help prevent tampering with the investigation, unless you think the measure is too harsh.". The investigation you are throwing in our face and are so invested in.
    - Your completely unsubstantiated aggression towards us since the event when we have done nothing to you other then have Psykers in our ranks.

You have clearly decided who you want to be the guilty party here and are working to that end without proof. Even your "agreement" shows blatant favorism where you ask us for three times the amount of resources then any other nation, including the other nation you 'say' you are investigating.

We cannot take anything you say as truth and refuse to be a part of anything related to you. You clearly work against us or at least aiding those who you know to be our enemies.

Declare your war if you wish. Show yourselves to be the despicable traitors who care more for your own agendas then the truth.

Your plan with the Shade to neuter our Psykers and intimidate us into sending our last line of defense far from our home will not succeed!
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2021-06-18 at 09:17 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

2. - Top - End - #362
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Idrian Nascence

Influence 1, Public

Spoiler: Magnus Apparatus
    Show

It’s been a tough winter, we’re gonna have ta eat the seed corn
    But since EVERYTHING MUST GO
    I can make that work
    So we going to pawn this jewellery or not?

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

I can very literally do exactly 10 – 7 Psi, 2 Sci, 1 Inf.
    Econ, by preference.
    Or, well, properly, Economy and then exactly 1 Military would be ideal, but entirely understandable if that doesn't work.

Last edited by St. Justicar; 2021-06-19 at 07:30 AM.
    Spoiler: Previous Games
    Show

Won Rise of Kingdoms as the Free City of Khasal
    Lost Hanrui 3 as the Clockwork Republic
    Technically Won Principia 2 as the Iron Gods of Ur
    Won Mandate of Heaven as the Gardeners of the Immortal Flesh

3. - Top - End - #363
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Chrysaorian Hegemony

Morale 19
    Influence 10

Spoiler: To the Competition of Minds, Public
    Show

It is not just us who suffered a setback - though none have stepped forward and claimed as grievous an injury. We are not receiving anything from anyone, as the Magnus Apparatus is investigating on behalf of the entire sector. Our aggression towards you (and OFC, to be clear, though you may not be capable of reading that and as such are assuming that it doesn't exist) is based on the fact that you two are the most likely suspects. Here is our reasoning:

1. You and Channel Seldiva, a close ally, both sought to offload significant amounts of [ECO] before this event - almost as if you knew it was planned. In particular, you finished one message to the Shade in which you traded them a substantial amount of [ECO] with "Enjoy the Wealth", which is incredibly suspicious in the context of what occurred afterwards.
    2. Neither you nor Channel Seldiva appear to have been affected in the slightest by this. Channel Seldiva has claimed that Neptune (their ECO VIP) prevented them from suffering damages, but [ECO VIPs] held by myself or the Magnus Apparatus did nothing to prevent us from the consequences. At least OFC has claimed to be harmed by this.
    3. There is evidence to suggest that a Demon was involved in this calamity. Of all the factions in this section, we believe that you are the most likely to summon one. Regardless, this had a serious psionic bent to it.
    4. Long-term projects, as you claimed in a previous message while denying culpability, are exactly the sort of thing the Competition of Minds specializes in and approves of.
    5. OFC and the Hegemony have previously collaborated and traded on multiple occasions. If this had been them, they likely would have warned us, rather than risk provoking a faction that viewed them positively. We were not aligned against them and did not threaten their ambitions.
    6. The Nascence (who we would otherwise suspect) is cleared from this particular wrongdoing due to their frankly embarrassing security on their long-term plans.

When all of these are taken into account, we believe our hostility is justified. We do not have proof that you were responsible. OFC remains a possible culprit. This is exactly why we are pushing so hard for an investigation - if you are proven to be innocent, then we shall absolutely apologize and provide reparations.

Now, regarding your claims: in the confusion and rush surrounding the mid-year period, we entirely missed the Shade's suggestion that they use the Null Box against you. We have publicized our response to the Shade [see Post #349 - note that only the message to the Shade is made public], and it is clear that we did not condone, acknowledge, or even approve such a course of action.

Your grievance against the Shade is legitimate, but an offer from another party to use archeotech that was overlooked by us does not constitute betrayal or treason. The Shade may have acted in what they thought was our interests, but we played no part in it.

Given that you have fairly justifiably misinterpreted the situation, we apologize for saying that this was a ploy to avoid contributing to the investigation. If what you say is true - after all, we have no idea whether or not the Shade actually activated the Null Box - then you have suffered, but we are not responsible for it, and we would still have your Espionage for the investigation; the use of the Null Box does not eradicate the suspicion we have for you. If you wish, we can contribute another [3 PSI] to somewhat offset the effects of the Null Box.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Of course, you don't have to believe me, but in the mad rush around midturn I completely overlooked that part of the message. I don't know if it was added as an edit, or if I was focused on the other bits, but either way - my message to the Shade in Post 349 is now public. You can confirm that I did not endorse such an action there.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2021-06-18 at 09:58 PM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

4. - Top - End - #364

To the Public Discourse:

To answer for the accusations laid at our feet.

In terms of our allyship. Psyker Wars is still off the air at the moment, though we still have close relations with our neighbour because well, they’re close and episodes featuring the Competition are good for ratings.

For trading away Economy. As it turns out, we offered raw credits as it’s the easiest thing to offer. Most nations, when being ASKED for a resource, are going to prefer economic gains. Notice (and others can confirm) that we didn’t push anyone to take economy is they said they’d prefer something else? Including the Shade who, let’s face it, we’re not friends with.

Frankly one of the notes of accusation being that someone said “Enjoy the wealth” when sending billions of credits to someone’s account is... almost comical. It’s a vaguely fancy “here you go.”

That said. We still support the investigation into the actions of factions last turn. Though we would suggest that the Hegemony is more fair to the Competition to ensure actual cooperation.

Especially considering that... missing a key part of a message like that is uncharacteristic of a nation as orderly as yours.

Spoiler: To the Shade: MOR 12
    Show

Well. That didn’t pass.

Are you still interested in any trade this season? We will have need for science to properly dismantle the lanes next year. Additionally we do have a need for Morale because... well not to state the obvious but I don’t think you’re going to tell the PPS to avoid Seldiva based contracts.

We have MIL to spare.

Spoiler: To the Competition of Minds: MOR 12
    Show

We know the Hegemony is being unreasonable. Perhaps let them argue with us for a moment before unleashing everything you can at them.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Titan in the Playground

Principia Personnel Solutions
    Mor 20, Inf 4

Spoiler: To the Chrysaorian Hegemony
    Show
    "Hello again respected Hegemons,

I am reaching out to you half as a courtesy call, half as an invitation. You will be hearing shortly from the Shade in a tone that is, shall we say, 'less than flattering'. PPS is officially urging you to disregard it, as the Shade's op-sec is woefully inadequate and there may be others listening in on that particular line of communication. It's a bit of a smoke and mirrors game, you understand.

Now, the invitation! The Hecatian Shade, Oracle Family Company and ourselves would like to extend an offer to you. As the enlightened, peaceful factions in this sector, we believe that the Hegemony is a key part of a brighter future for Principia. As a part of our alliance, we would all share in the spoils of victory."

Show
    You are being invited to send a VIP to a meeting between OFC, the Shade, and PPS. You will hear a similar alliance offer to the one that the OFC made to you a few turns ago.

Spoiler: To the Idrian Nascence
    Show
    "Hello you rascal infestation you!

Now I can't help but notice a distinct lack of knifing like I asked - unless that bloody bit of business that ended the Logopatronites was in fact you, but if that's the case then the Competition is stealing your thunder. For shame.

Anyhow, as PPS is under new management we do have a new directive for you, and I'm going to speak plainly because you know where we put all of our covert agents last year: you are going to ruin Channel Seldiva's day. We don't care particularly how you do it, but you should be sabotaging any action they take. Whether that's hitting them directly, subverting trades, not taking their orders and generally hindering them as well as the Competition.

As a good faith payment, you are also to send one of your psionics experts to the Oracle Family Company at the end of the financial year instead of sending anyone to meet with the Competition of Minds. This will prove that you are willing to deal with winners, not just the system's outcasts and broken things.

I hope that I have made my terms clear."

Show
    Pretty much what it says on the tin: they are threatening you with mass VIP destruction if you don't comply with their demands, which are to subvert Seldiva entirely and to send the VIP you would otherwise be sending to the Competition's private meeting to PPS / OFC / Shade instead.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-20 at 12:23 PM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

6. - Top - End - #366

The Chrysaorian Hegemony

Morale 19
    Influence 10

Spoiler: To PPS
    Show

We accept - for now.

as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hecatian Shade

Morale 10, Inf 4

Spoiler: The Chrysaorian Hegemony
    Show
    Hegemons,

Just how stupid of a people do you think we are? (and you yourself, having humans amidst us as well) Instead of Changing the flow of the conversation to resources that can't (and you know this to be true) be delivered beforehand (and they were to be delivered, as you may remember they were only a gift if Seldiva attacked.), can you be so kind as to point out literally any reason for witholding a payment that can be made right away, for our eyes to see, to a time that is in no way advantageous except in how it helps hide embezzlement? That is, aside from betrayal.

You have garnered trust, to be precise you had our trust since the beginning even if popular opinion was you were too weak and vacillating against the Domin. But the signs are too many to ignore, and as you wish to lord forever a single betrayal over our head, I can't help but see you buy into Seldiva's fearmongering, that was just thrown against us both so soon before. I can't help but see the withholding of resources that only makes sense in a single situation, the worst of them. And the most damning thing of all, I can't help but see that you are exactly as respected as before and not more... Am I to believe that you made *something else* with the Cradle and the public aid I asked for is being provided out of your own? leaving The Shade bigger in the eyes of the galaxy than yourself!!!???

I await a reply and it better be a good one,
    -Ala Cait "the follower", second speaker of Hecan, Magni.

PS: You are right about the knights, I suppose the apparatus will do, as the most neutral party.

Show
    But why would you give me permanent stats instead of cradle permanent stats though? and why is your INF still 10?

Spoiler: Channel Seldiva
    Show
    "Including the Shade who, let’s face it, we’re not friends with."

aghhh, my poor wounded hearts...

I suppose it was fair to expect no one but us both and the knights would go for the arena. And we were a little more interested in avoiding the archaotech Catastrophe than seeing that project through.

how much of each are we talking about here? because we can really provide as far as science is concerned, not as much with mor.

Ala Cait "the follower", second speaker of Hecan, Magni.

Spoiler: Competition of minds
    Show
    Judge,

We are not sorry for our actions, your answer was frankly insulting after you implied an attack to one of the bastions of sanity within this galaxy, as such we couldn't allow you a chance to tamper with the investigation.

What we are, is willing to believe it may have been an accident, or covering up for your ally, who wasn't targeted because of its weakened state and inability to understand something as complex as tampering, and as such, if you tell us how much you lost due to the nullbox and the investigation doesn't lead to you... or it leads to your partner and you renounce them we can return that ammount +50% as an apology.

Have a neutral day, as risks won't be taken,
    Warmaster Adalith, Commander of the Herald's servants.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2021-06-20 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coidzor View Post
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    Quote Originally Posted by 5ColouredWalker View Post
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.
    hey, order a gig here: https://www.fiverr.com/neriractor

I would really appreciate it.

8. - Top - End - #368
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Idrian Nascence

Spoiler: PPS, OFC, Shade, and anyone else who feels like reading
    Show

The response is broadcast off one of the relay stations that had until recently been broadcasting Logopathorite educational material at all hours of the day

Such courtesy and politesse! When you phrase your demands so gently, how could we possibly refuse? Especially the ones that are clearly mutually incompatible when you put those cyborg brains of yours together and think for a moment.

So sorry we weren’t sufficiently eager to claim credit for our work, but I do hope you found it entertaining. It was cathartic work, really. Though their riposte, less so.

But I digress. The first part of your demands are theoretically possible. The second are difficult as, at the moment, our Exemplars are in rather high demand, and we weren’t planning on doing that. The Leviathan’s Song (tier 2 Psi) can be put at their disposal, but only if you can provide equivalent value in raw materials. Otherwise we’re on our way to the grave anyway, and making things more convenient for your new employers as we go doesn’t particularly appeal.

-Xate

Show

9. - Top - End - #369

The Chrysaorian Hegemony

Morale 19
    Influence 10

Spoiler: To the Magnus Apparatus (Public)
    Show

As you have been chosen to lead the investigation in the Great Crash - as the most neutral party that exists - we wish to confirm that we will be providing you with our Espionage networks this season, limited as though they might be. We encourage each affected party - and those who seek the truth - to do the same.

Show

You have 2 ESP from me for the investigation.

Spoiler: The Hecatian Shade
    Show

We maintain that it makes no difference. Do not turn this around and paint us as the untrustworthy ones.

We hid what was generated from the public eye, to prevent others from realizing what was happening. You'll received what you were owed.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2021-06-23 at 01:33 PM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

10. - Top - End - #370

Spoiler: To the Apparatus; MOR PUBLIC
    Show

Our contribution will be 2 ESP, the entirety of our capabilities. Hopefully, this can help discover who was behind the pair of heinous acts last year.

Mostly because we'd like to shake their hands for killing a God. One of the most fun things to hunt honestly.

Spoiler: To the Competition of Minds: MOR 12
    Show

We're looking to offload some INF at this late hour. We're hoping to pick up some bonuses in the way of:

MOR, MIL, PSI, ESP, ECO, SCI In order of preference.

Let us know if any of that works for you.

We'd also suggest you send at least 2 ESP to the Aparratus.

Spoiler: Spoiler= To the Nascense: MOR 12
    Show

So two things, somewhat at odds but this entire ****ing Galaxy is.

1. If you're on your way out. We're going to build a hyper lane to your space [4] and send you back to the void ourselves.

2. If you're in need of some INF, we're offering to trade some for MOR, MIL, PSI, ESP. ECO, SCI. That order.

Show

We're down for some SCI for MIL. Want to call it 6 and be done with it? We'd prefer to send VIPs than Raw stats considering there is no arena this year now.

Spoiler: To the Knights: MOR 12
    Show

A reminder about our invitation. We understand it's likely too late at this point but we wanted to ensure you didn't think we were avoiding an opportunity to catch an ARMAMENT on Camera.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hecatian Shade

Show
    We can work with that, 6:6 champions for tech teams.

Ala Cait "the follower", 2nd speaker of Hecan, Magni.

Spoiler: Chrysaorian Hegemony
    Show

Laughable, as far as excuses go.

I expect this to be so, or there will be consequences.

Ala Cait "the follower", 2nd speaker of Hecan, Magni.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2021-06-23 at 03:49 PM.
    Ah, yes, trolls, the monsters that are such wusses their primary means of reproduction is being eaten by other creatures.
    With all this talk of half dragon cohorts I may need to scrap riding a actual Dragon given how unoptimized it is.

12. - Top - End - #372

Show

6 for 6 SCI sounds lovely.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Titan in the Playground

Turn 8 - Conquest

"It seems to me a funny thing to make rules about war. It is not a game. What is the difference between civilized war and any other kind of war?"
    - Pancho Villa

Reliable Weaponry - 9461.02

X-42

X-42 braced for impact as the warhead detonated. Less than a kilometre out.

She analysed the explosion through the force-screen, data running through her intuitive aptitude framework to provide all details on the trajectory and yield of the Seldivan payload. Then she blinked and performed a full systems scan; shields were holding. The strike had blown up two of her ADEs - Autonomous Drone Escorts - built especially and carefully to transmit false signatures to appear as personnel carriers or capital ships. The annihilation was thorough, but what they'd transmitted in the last femtosecond was well worth it.

She transmitted the package at the speed of thought through the neural link to the rest of her cluster, receiving confirmations of receipt and revised plans of engagement. The unit was operating at 79% integrity, she saw out of the corner of her eye. Good.

"PDFs 11 through 16, clear the debris field for the next advance." Anyone sitting in the frigate's control room would see a solitary figure, all six arms furiously at work on the displays while literally plugged into the central column. The ship - No More Mr Nice Guy, one of several of the recent line of SCS class built in the Shaded Worlds - took full advantage of hybrid organic networked intelligence. A supercomputer, they'd told her, was faster than a person's nervous system. But it couldn't adapt, couldn't respond to threats or improvise the way a person could.

It was a lot easier to improve a living brain with circuitry than it was to build entities of lateral thought from scratch. It wasn't that the Shade couldn't, of course - they'd long since passed that threshold - but on an industrial scale? It would be a waste of resources, even with the pilot scarcity following Vykareth.

So the Shade had made do with what it had. And here she was, a single pilot controlling an entire escort group! X-42 partitioned her mind for the sixteenth time, adding in evasive manoeuvre subroutines on Flight Path T for her port-side fighter squadron; it maximized their chance at surviving the wide area suppressing fire the Seldivans were so fond of. Admittedly, 64% wasn't great as far as odds went, but when the person on the other side of the starfield was a Host Station Competitor in a top-of-the-line Valkyrie suit?

She would take whatever numbers she could get.

A vermillion bloom on her left-most display told X-42 that the Competitor had made contact with another member of her cluster. They'd taken out the ADEs in record time and were launching probes into the swarm. That was troublesome, she decided. The new handbook against the Seldivans had been born of thousands of hours of psychological evaluation and video feedback of their fighting formations, battle doctrine and hyper-violent meritocracy. The Competitors fed off of conquest, off of victory in battle. They needed enemies to kill, laurels to win; big explosions and cheers and likes. Their entire culture, entire way of life depended on it.

Therefore, the Shade had obliged them: over the past years they'd built endless fleets of drones, cheaply made and unmanned, all with new jamming and electronic scrambling technology to confuse their drive signatures on all displays other than the naked eye. The Competitors always went in for the kill, heroes first. What better way to lure them into overlapping lanes of fire than with true prizes of 'capital ships'? And now with hybrid SCS class carriers, the Shade would retain a stark advantage in 83% of engagements of roughly equivalent firepower.

But that advantage disappeared almost entirely in full CQB scenarios, an arena that the Seldivans utterly dominated in. As such, operational doctrine dictated that they keep the Competitors at a distance; even outnumbered nearly 38,000 to 1, she knew full well the amount of devastation a single one of those battlesuits could unleash on a ship group if they slipped in under their guard. She opened the voice channel to her cluster mate.

"It's Ferro," came the response from X-36, voice even. "Paint job on the armor confirms it. Discovery in two minutes, maybe less. She's too close for railgun activation, and my PDFs don't have the stopping power."

X-42 did the calculations near instantaneously; if Ferro uncovered 36, their unit would be down below 70% integrity. Worse, if the Competitor managed to get her hands on a frigate black box, she could theoretically tap into the end-to-end encrypted network allowing the Shade to monitor this entire carrier group. That could not be allowed to happen. All tactical scenarios pointed to a sharp decline in the Shade's performance, even with the redundant frequencies command had given them.

So with a double tap on the screen to her right, X-42 launched her forward three squadrons into the kill zone. She would be running low on craft, but it was a necessary sacrifice. Through the glass ahead, she saw the sharp reports of the initial exchanges, bright light from the twin-linked plasma cannon emplacements that Ferro was known to use. It was as good as confirmation they hadn't adopted Patroclus' Gambit.

"Get the MAC up to max cycles and target lock." Her neural interface with the ship's on board computer system was nearly seamless, and though X-42 preferred vocal commands the instant she manifested the thought the sensors were already working. The outline of the Seldivan was highlighted on her nav screen: dodging and weaving through the field of fighters with uncanny speed, performing aerials that the drones couldn't hope to keep up with.

A slow whine was audible throughout the control room as the MAC began to charge up. Fifteen seconds to full power saturation. At full power at this range, it would obliterate the Seldivan, but fifteen seconds might in a firefight might as well be eternity.

Come on, keep her occupied... just a few seconds more...

The Seldivan had looped around, circling around the bulkhead of a ruined light cruiser to get some cover before emerging at an oblique angle with a twisting beam of pure energy. It caught half a score of her drones, slicing through them like empty air and scattering them with a wrist-mounted machine gun. X-42 recognized Host Station's trademark high impact void shells. Monomolecular slivers of anti-matter designed to explode after the bullet's outer casing had burrowed deep into its target and melted away.

So wasteful, that they would be used on downed targets, but even X-42 could recognize the peppering of multi-coloured detonations as a work of art. More importantly, the flourish had given her the opening she needed. A ding at the back of her head told her that the MAC was approaching full capacity.

Three... two... one...

"Fire."

Victorya

"Ferro is down! I repeat, Ferro is down. Sending evac shuttles now." Victorya bit back harsh words and settled for a grimace, the half-second feedback loop in her suit's audio repeating the message from her squad to her fans on the live-stream. She ignored the outpouring of broken heart emojis, reacts and web hits as the trending bar at the bottom corner of her HUD exploded with frantic grief.

One of the legendary Fivefold Scourge, knocked out of the fight this early? Woe betide them all.

Yet if she had to be honest with herself, Season 3 of CONQUEST as a whole was... not going great. It had started okay enough, some good warmup fights and a bit of action early on. Her fans had followed her to Principia, loyal to the end, and her profile had seen an uptick before the Battle of Vykareth had changed everything. Since then, Ferro and Princess had become crowd favorites, their numbers approaching and then even surpassing hers. Then the disastrous Umbra Incident - which she still couldn't remember and worst of all there was no footage of - and she was on the bench for near eight months.

It was hard not to feel a little bit jealous. But Victorya always needed to be above such things, lest she be seen as bitter. She had cultivated a very particular image for her fans: the calm battle commander, always in control.

Today might prove the darkest day of them all. With the frontline invasion fleets in tatters, the eight of them stood alone against a cool 300,000 vessels. Ahead of her, the moonlets of Adeus 2 were blotted out by the sheer number of vessels. She had seen footage of the Shade's forces on Vykareth, but this was something else entirely. The Last Stand reward bracket for her fans had been unlocked, donations and subscriptions pouring in for each and every one of the Competitors. But even for her, there was such a thing as being too outnumbered.

All she had to do was keep the others alive long enough to hold this beachhead, and the Dreadnoughts would take care of the rest.

"Bombard," she ordered over the public channel, her voice carrying to every Competitor in range, "lay down supressing fire on the nearest fighter squadron, clear a path to the nearest capital ship. There's a battlecruiser nineteen kilometres out, at my eleven o'clock. Princess, you and Alesha get in position for a pincer manoeuvre on the escorts the second you get the green light, take out their MAC emplacements."

Despite her lack of recognition of late, Progenitor Victorya still had the most battlefield experience here, and her orders were still obeyed without question. As the others charged in, she began to activate her ace custom Valkyrie suit, the newest model from the Meritocracy. In ancient legends, the Valkyries flew over the fields of the dead, choosing the most valorous to take to the halls of the gods where they would do glorious battle for all eternity.

Victorya didn't put much stock in legends. But as she pulled up her close combat loadout and primed her trump card for manual activation, she was forced to consider that at the very least, she could put her faith in reliable weaponry.

"I'm putting all auxiliary power into forward thrusters," she informed the others after swapping to a private channel. "Keep clear of me once I start my approach; you know the minimum safe distance. Have evac on standby."

"Seriously, Victorya?" Idylla's face popped up on her vid-feed, her face equal parts awed and irritated. "I thought that was a night-ender. A one and done."

"The night's already over," she replied without missing a beat. The insulated systems on the inside of her suit began to warm up around her knees and ankles, the telltale signs of the reactor surging into the back thrusters. "We're too outnumbered and outgunned. We need a decisive blow here, something to show our fans and Host Station in the clip reel after we retreat back through the Veil Gate. Otherwise they'll just see a defeat."

"Wait, what? Victorya - "

"Just be ready,"
    she swapped back over to the public network to forestall any back-talk. "Once I activate the Singularity, get the others out of here." That little comment alone had the fans jumping and screaming at their screens, judging by the sharp incline in her profile. She smiled to herself, focusing on the rising number of streamers instead of the rapidly approaching Shade line. As she focused on any one ship it became a blur, the light show of her fellow Competitors taking action and clearing away the obstacles.

She had her line.

Ten seconds passed. Twenty. Her suit did not stop accelerating. The Progenitor could feel her heart pounding, her muscles clenching up as she started to taste copper. She was dimly aware of the blaring klaxon inside her suit, warning her of dangerous levels of g-force. She turned it off, gaze narrowing as the shadow of the great battlecruiser approached. She'd turned off her automated targeting - better to eyeball these things. And here... we... go...

First came the field. A coruscating bubble of power crackled into existence all around her at a distance of about thirty meters. Anyone watching from a distance would see the impression of a glowing bullet having been fired through space. The Shade's response was immediate, as every single enemy craft in operational distance launched projectiles. Guided missiles, lasers, PDFs, you name it: if it could be fired, it was being fired. But the Shade weren't expecting what came next, as the field took the entirety their arsenal and launched it right back at them. Entire squadrons of drones and fighter craft erupted in spectacular explosions around her. Victorya continued her approach undaunted.

Next came the gift baskets. The drones - they moved too smoothly, in too organized a manner to be anything but remotely piloted, she realized - were attacking in smaller groups at different angles, trying different frequencies to probe her defenses. The thing was, the field could only hold for so long before eating into her core reserves, which she needed for her final trick. So compartments under her armor opened up, and blinking lights began to swoop outwards, locking onto all targets at a safe-ish distance.

Antimatter mines, she mused as she sped onwards, is there any problem they can't solve?

Blinking away black spots, Victorya arrived at her target as the last of the MAC guns was blasted away. Finally. A high-pitched shriek rippled through the Valkyrie as she activated her suit's ultimate ability: the Errant Singularity. Her teeth were bared in a bloody grin as she saw the capital ship - saw all of the ships - around her began to alter course and tumble towards her. The engines of the vessels pulsed up to max burn to leave the radius of what she'd created: a gravity well, designed to emulate the force of an event horizon. But it was futile; they weren't going anywhere.

Then, once target saturation had been reached and saw the prows get dangerously close, she multiplied the stopping power of her reflective field by a factor of twenty. Through the pulsing rainbow shimmer, all her suit could see and pick up through its sensors was the crushing cacophony of the Shade's cruisers being ground together as the rest of the battle faded away.

She was still laughing when she lost consciousness.

The Galactic Congress - 9461.09

Open war erupts across Principia once more! Two great neighbouring powers, Channel Seldiva and the Hecatian Shade, have mutually broken their peace treaty early. In a staggering display of interstellar bloodshed, both factions have launched immense forces at one another with mixed results. The Battle for Adeus I and II on their neighbouring Veil Gate border was decided in the Shade's favor after a Seldivan fleet was prematurely destroyed, an event that forced the Channel's heroes to stand and face a leviathan army. Though they fought valiantly, they were repelled in a field defeat. On the other hand, the Seldivans clearly prepared for this as they launched another tandem invasion of the Shaded Worlds beyond the Adeus Gates. Two warfleets emerged from the black whose names are whispered from the far end of space: Dreadnought Elda, and Dreadnought Hafnar. Crushing the Shade's space and ground defenses, these fleets have made themselves right at home within the Shade's territory and now threaten the faction's vulnerable underbelly.

It is believed that many other factions took part in organizing the defenses, invasions, and counter-invasions between the two sides of the fight, but the dust is still settling and it's unclear exactly what trades and bargains were struck. The Congress' best estimate is that at least four other factions besides those two sent forces to aid or hinder the interstellar superpowers in the past year, but the brutal struggle may be just beginning.

Not long after the Dreadnoughts complete their conquest, there is a sector-wide report; the Magnus Apparatus manages to publish their findings on the Great Crash of 9457.09. After extensive investigation into both the financial trail and psionic signatures, there can be no doubt that the Competition of Minds are the architects of this chaos: the rituals were born on Xyrtharl, and the plan carried out by its resident factions through commercial third parties.

However, there are two other major developments that have unfolded as a result of the new Shade-Seldiva conflict which threaten to eclipse the unmasking of the Competition's role in the disaster. The first is an attack on the Shade's internal servers and diplomatic corps that has wiped out an entire division of their governmental arm. In the chaos, their control over PPS has slipped away entirely, and the company has issued a press statement decying the Shade's 'unfortunate choice in business practices'. Crimson Dynamo Phoenix has gone on the air and declared open war on the Shade and all of its holdings, and promised that its leadership would be 'hearing from his people again very soon'. He also issued a public warning of probation at his second ally the Oracle Family Company, saying that any further collusion with the Shade would result in a 'revisitation of the terms of their agreement'.

Yet the most significant development surely are the whispers among the scientific community of Principia that the Chrysaorian Hegemony has gotten its hands on a watershed amount of ancient technology, often dubbed 'Archeotech'. Certainly a paragon of scientific virtue, the pantheon has enough of the devices now to take on the mantle of the Arco-Medeans. If they are given half the chance to master this technology, they will truly be unstoppable. Principia will have its new rulers, and it won't be the Oracle Family Company.

Spoiler: Galactic Event - War of the Worlds
    Show
    As a result of the chaos spreading across Principia in the Shade-Seldiva conflict and beyond, the soldiers and pirates, scum and villainy and all manner of despotic warlords have come out of the proverbial woodwork. Waging war is as ever a business, and it is booming this year.

If this event passes, all points of Mil count as 1.5 for the purposes of invading any system. This will only count for points of Mil invested, even if there are other stats attached. This multiplication does not apply to VIPs, only points of base Mil.

Spoiler: Galactic Event - Black Hole Sun
    Show
    A singularity threatens a system, but the cosmic radiation surrounding it seems to adapt and change, making it impossible to tell where the event will occur until the very last second. Many doomsayers and pseudo-science cultists believe that this Black Hole is the sign of a second coming, and the end times are upon everyone - but surely that is nonsense, right?

If this event is not voted down, there will be a random system that is lost at Midturn (the system becomes neutral). The holder of that territory will take 4 points of random stat damage and 2 points of Mor damage as its people are consumed.

Spoiler: Public Announcements
    Show
    As of this turn (Turn 8), the Chrysaorian Hegemony has 5/5 of the Archeotech pieces needed to win the game. If they maintain their hold on 5 pieces of Archeotech and survive as a faction for this EoT, they will win the game at the start of Turn 9.

Furthermore, as the Hecatian Shade has hit 0 Influence this turn, they got public 0 penalty: 'all NPCs declare war on you'. Therefore, PPS is declaring absolute war on the Shade and has broken off all previous alliances. While this does not break their Influence Alliance with OFC, the latter no longer has complete operational control over them; it is now a 'normal' alliance. They are still theoretically on track to win at the start of Turn 10.

OOC: Midturns are due at end of day (EST) on Friday, July 2nd.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-28 at 03:42 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

14. - Top - End - #374

The Chrysaorian Hegemony

Morale 19
    Influence 10

Spoiler: Public
    Show

Greetings to the inhabitants of Principia Sector.

Last year, the Magnus Apparatus - as an agreed-upon neutral party - took on the responsibility of investigating the Great Crash, to determine who was responsible. As of now, we know their findings, as they have made them public.

The Competition of Minds is responsible for the devastation unleashed upon the galaxy in the previous year. This cannot be disputed, though we have no doubt they will attempt to shirk responsibility despite the evidence arranged against them.

As such, the Chrysaorian Hegemony formally declares war on the Competition of Minds, for an act of unprovoked savagery upon the galaxy as a whole. We encourage others who have suffered at their hands to do the same. We would like to publicly apologize to the Oracle Family Company for the suspicion we cast upon them in search of the true culprit.

----------------------------------------------

We would also like to take a moment to address the rumors of our collected archeotech. Yes, we have amassed a collection of relics from the Archeo-Medean civilization that once ruled this sector. We intend to unlock their secrets, for the good of all. We wish to share our designs for the future.

Should we succeed in unlocking the potential of these archeotechs, we formally pledge the following before the Galactic Congress:

To the Magnus Apparatus and the Knights of Orias, we promise full sovereignty over your existing borders, to be respected in perpetuity, so long as you do not attempt to undermine or interfere with the galactic governance of the Chrysaorian Hegemony. We would work with you both for the scientific and military development of the sector; not as subjects but as equals.

To Principia Personnel Services and the Oracle Family Company, we would like to formally integrate Poseidon, God of the Interstellar Seas and Commerce, into your business model, and work with you in partnership and prosperity into the future. Together, as equal partners, we would expand our operations to other galactic sectors and build wealth and profit for those who live in Principia. Otherwise, we offer you full sovereignty should you agree to not interfere with us.

To Channel Seldiva: you are likely angry with us. We have our reasons, and expect to answer your allegations once they are made. Should we not unlock the archeotech we possess and bring safety and security to the sector, we are fully committed to keeping our end of the bargain next season. In the long-term, while we will not allow you to hold any systems in Principia due to your nature and association with the Competition and the Nascence, we will provide you with exclusive intergalactic media rights to the affairs of this sector. We also commit to setting up an enormous gladiatorial spectacle on depopulated planets to take place every five years in our systems, of which you will be given full oversight. We expect Ares and Athena to make regular appearances.

To the Hecatian Shade, we pledge to do what we can to bring peace between you and PPS, if it is possible. If this involves us paying reparations on your behalf once we have secured control of the sector, it can be arranged. If this is successful, we offer you the same sovereignty we offer others.

To the Competition of Minds, the most recent revelation of your culpability in the Great Crash has made it abundantly clear that you cannot be allowed to continue existing in this sector. Perhaps our fury will cool, and once justice is meted, we will work with you to develop a means of transporting you to whence you came, with protections to preserve this timeline.

To the Idrian Nascence, we offer annihilation. You are too dangerous and too chaotic to be allowed to exist.

Think on what we have offered you. Consider whether other parties would offer you such terms.

Spoiler: To the Hecatian Shade and OFC
    Show

Well, this is regrettable.

We wish to remind you both that we were fully committed to conquest, for the betterment and stability of Principia; we kept each and every obligation barring one. We would remind you that we forewarned you of the attacked, provided military - which, from reports, the Hecatian Shade placed directly on the front lines and used as meat shields, an act which resulted in Zeus' assassination while he helped save you from Channel Seldiva's strike. We provided [Zeus-1] and [Zeus-2], the former of which is now dead. We provided the permanent stats that we owed from the activation of the Cradle - and it cost us dearly, it seems. We even gave Poseidon [Tier 2 ECO VIP] to PPS, to help preserve the alliance if one of us were to be struck. Regrettably, it seems that was not enough.

But we knew such a venture was not guaranteed to succeed. Both of you had pursued independent wins, and so did we, keeping the Pax. We thought that our collection of archeotech would be a beacon for aggression, and as such the Shade would not need it. We hoped it would distract our enemies and increase the chance of a successful conquest. We were not expecting the level of animosity from PPS, nor the depths of Channel Seldiva's aggression.

As such, we would ask that you both consider the terms we offered you, and that you remember how we stood by your side, and literally bled for the sake of the coalition we attempted to forge. To the Shade, we ask that you weather a single season of PPS' ire, and we shall do what we can to secure peace between the two of you.

Show

Greetings.

We mean what we said in our message. Despite what Seldiva may claim, we made no binding promise. We misled them, yes, but the Hegemony does not break oaths: and we make you an oath now. Everything we said in our public message is true, including our desire to coexist and hopefully work alongside PPS into the future.

We hope you enjoy Poseidon's services; he is yours. It is a gesture of goodwill. Initially, we hope to incur flexibility in case of a strike upon one of us, but your grievance with the Shade is legitimate. We know that you will likely not consider peace now, but we hope that once they have been appropriately punished, you might consider it anew.

Instead, we would make a plea to you, as long-term customers and neighbors who have never once given you cause to doubt us. Do not let your services be turned against us this season. If this means you pursue vengeance against the Hecatian Shade or the Competition of Minds, we will not interfere (though we do personally hope it is the latter). We regrettably do not have much economic resources left, after the Competition's vicious undertaking, but the [4 ECON] we have is yours. We hope that, coupled with Poseidon, will purchase us some goodwill.

We are also open to just a standard alliance, free of coercion.

Happy to discuss further.

-Hermes

Spoiler: To OFC
    Show

We meant what we said: you are owed an apology. 22 is yours, in perpetuity. We sincerely apologize for our words. As way of apology, you are welcome to the systems occupied by the Competition of Minds and half of what is owned by Channel Seldiva, if we are able to secure control of the Galactic Congress. This would make you a force almost as powerful as the Hegemony in the galaxy, to be loved and feared throughout Principia.

We understand that you may feel the need to move against us; we would remind you that we have never taken action against you, and have served as stalwart allies. We did everything we reasonably could to ensure that the conquest would be successful, and we would have you remember that.

Show

Offering you as much of a fluff win as I reasonably can. I can't give you a mechanical win at this point - I'd offer to give up an archeotech, but then you'd win before I could be eligible again - but I'll do what I can here.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2021-06-27 at 09:41 PM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

15. - Top - End - #375
    Orc in the Playground

BlackDragon

The Idrian Nascence

Morale 2, Influence 1

Spoiler: PPS
    Show

The message is sent by an Alear mediator, shortly before they put on a suicide vest and walked into a crowded meeting

Well, my mistake. When you didn’t reply to my last message I had just assumed you were going to push your big red button and communicated accordingly. The lack of interstellar genocide is appreciated, for the record.

You can send my apologies to your friends on Serkavian for your failure to deliver. And I’d say the same to your friends in the Shaded Worlds for everything else, but I guess they’re not really your friends any longer, are they?

Spoiler: Magnus Apparatus
    Show

Testing, testing.
    Is this channel live?
    I’m still interested in making a deal, if you are
    Would you be willing to complete a short survey about your opinion on Current Events?
    Please contact us directly to set up a private consultation

Spoiler: Competition of Minds
    Show

[A squad of soldiers welcoming new arrivals to the outpost and the war]
    [Friends and family celebrating a researcher being recognized for their work]

[A Manticore looks up from its meal, and sees an anti-matter warhead barrelling down towards the planet’s surface]

[A void-born leviathan circles a space station, its whispers and laughter translated into intelligible contributions to the figures meeting in its innermost vault]
    Show

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Principia Personnel Solutions
    Mor 20, Inf 3

Spoiler: To the Oracle Family Company
    Show
    "Greetings, partners in technically-legal-matters-that-really-should-be-crime,

What a strange new year we have found ourselves in, hm? It would seem as though the Hegemons have upended the proverbial table with their announcement. The inner workings of the ancients is a bit beyond us, we prefer to deal with tangible things that we actually know how to manipulate. You know, multi-stellar corporations, fleets, trillions of credits...

Anyway, this is a message to confirm 'where we're at'. I have to say, even though you didn't exactly complain at using my people bloody last year, you've played the game with aplomb. Still, it has to look like I'm doing my job. I do technically still have shareholders to answer to.

Right now, the Oracle Family Company is going 'on probation' as our ally in the Congress. Don't worry - this is almost entirely a toothless measure, more to appease the people back home than anything of substance. We're hitting you with a minor sanction: you won't have free reign to read our mail this year, and my PR people tell that it'll play better for both of us if we announce that to the public. Makes you look like less of a threat and gets people talking out in the open where we can listen.

And then later if you ask for details about any faction, I'm sure an 'accidental data leak' or two can be arranged. If you catch my meaning.

Now, about the Hegemony: PPS has no trouble with them. In fact, they just sent us one of their pantheon as a peace offering, so we're inclined to sit back and let them have this one. Their offer to keep us on was probably genuine, and a peaceful transition is good for business all around. We'll be highly preoccupied in the Shade's destruction this year though, so we won't be too bothered if you decide to do a little thieving. We're going to keep our people out of it directly, but if you want tactical advice then we're all ears. And it goes without saying that our votes are yours in the Congress again this year.

Ciao!"

Spoiler: To the Chrysaorian Hegemony
    Show
    "Dearest Hegemons,

How polite you are! It's nice to know that not everyone in Principia is entirely devoid of manners. In any case, we accept the gift in the spirit that it was offered. Poseidon will find a new home with our financial department, though we'd be happy to arrange a holiday visa and permanent diplomatic status for him with a generous compensation package for holiday visits to his home. We recognize the sacrifice of one of your gods to be a worthy treasure, and your offer of co-ownership more than generous. Therefore, I am recommending to the 'board' that PPS adopt an official non-interference policy with the Hegemony. Short of another involuntary lapse, you don't have to worry about our people breaking down the door to steal your hard-won stuff.

Regarding the Shade, they proved themselves dealbreakers of the worst sort and then supplanted us from within. Now our contractors and clientele aren't, as a rule, the most moral of people, but we can't have the Shade around if we want anyone to take us seriously. They have proven themselves a worse problem to our shareholders personally than even the Nascence. If you deal with them this year in any way, know that the bargain above is forfeit. Both of these points are going in a public blast to the sector within the day.

Anyhoo, if you want to trade for any current or archived info, let us know. We take cash, card, or cheque in any denomination of a billion or less."

Show
    Poseidon accepted. If you want to use that 4 Eco to get info, let PPS know and they'll sort something out.

Spoiler: To Everyone
    Show
    The notification comes in the form of another electronic correspondence from the office of Meram Shado-Kynes, the happy, healthy, and totally-still-alive VP of Project Management over at PPS.

To all of our clients and third parties across the sector,

Though we have just spoken to several of the related parties, Principia Personnel Solutions would like to make a public announcement to you all regarding our foreign policy this year. There are three changes of note, which are:

1) As per our company by-laws, we have no fiduciary claim upon any Archeotech, nor have we any interest in getting involved in an archeological arms race. Whether the Chrysaorian Hegemony proclaims supremacy over Principia really does not concern us, and in fact their generosity towards us over the past years has inclined our board to rule for a stance of non-interference. Therefore, let it be known that PPS will not be getting involved in the Hegemony's leadership bid. We will not be sending any of our covert or scientific agents to aid in stealing from them, though neither will we stop anyone else from doing so. PPS will remain neutral.

2) The Oracle Family Company, despite being our ally of record for the past fourteen sol months, took advantage of our momentary weakness caused by the Hecatian Shade's meddling. Therefore, they are being placed on official probation as our ally. As part of that, a sanction is being levied against them: OFC will no longer have unrestricted access to PPS' intelligence networks. Any more major policy infractions will result in more sanctions, and eventually complete dissolution of our previous agreement. Purchasing of our intelligence, either current or archived, can now be done by any party on a case-by-case basis.

3) Last year, the Hecatian Shade wormed its way into our servers and took over our mission nodes, corrupting our network. PPS would like to apologize to Channel Seldiva for the harm that our agents did to your fleets, as we had zero control over the attacks. Our board has nothing but admiration for Host Station and the Meritocracy. It may please you to know that PPS is declaring total war against the Hecatian Shade. Every single available asset is currently being re-tasked - any nation standing up for or beside the Shade when the bombs fall is liable to get caught in the crossfire.

Thank you for all of your continued loyalty to PPS. Your business remains important to us.

- Meram Shado-Kynes, VP of Project Management
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2021-06-28 at 01:06 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #377

Channel Seldiva will be back after these messages from our sponsors!

MOR 19. INF 11

Spoiler: To the Hegemony: Public
    Show

Well, I guess the Galaxy sees how Zeus chooses their sides. Of course, I don't think the gods have ever been ones to ask permission before ****ing someone.

Don't worry. Principia has killed a God before. You just moved yourself up in order.

We put so much showmanship into the fight and you had no respect for the preparations, just about the possible end result.. Yet you still failed to capture a single Seldivan station. Just a lack of respect for our craft all around really.

Shellase.

Spoiler: To the Shade: MOR 19
    Show

7 Fotuans held off you and all your favourite pals. Now two of those pals have thrown you to the wind and the third is actively looking to kill everything that still belongs to you.

Want to go for round two, or do you want to take back your piece of the cradle?

Neptune.

Spoiler: To the Competition of Minds: MOR 19
    Show

Ah well, subterfuge was never either of our styles anyway. Let's own it and point out that the rest of the Galaxy might now want to be under the thumb of the backstabbing Zeus.

Then I suppose we'd have a single year to deal with the Oracle family company but desperate times, measures... all of that.

Neptune

Spoiler: To the Nascense: MOR 19
    Show

Well, congrats on finally retaking that system, seems like the public eye was on us for a year. Honestly it's nasty.

The plan is simple, we need to steal from Zeus, don't think there is a point in hiding it anymore.

I'd also like to personally dismantle the Shade, but that's neither here nor there unless we plan on holding hands and admitted that we've been a little closer than others might like.

Spoiler: To the OFC: MOR 19
    Show

Ah yes, Zeus is going to help you be happy in the Galaxy, like they were going to help us dismantle the Shade's control of the PPS and then use the Cronarch to make an influence-based strike on you and.....

Wait they actually did use the Chronarch to do that. Maybe they'll keep their word about hitting you. Maybe they'll keep their word about letting you rot under their thumb....

We suggest you gamble on joining us in a little corporate espionage to take the Shade's piece of the cradle away from the baby who didn't give it back. Before you're the next faction Zeus decides is an 'acceptable loss for the gain of the Hegemony'

Spoiler: To the PPS: MOR 19
    Show

Look we're putting a lot of attention into Zeus here, you've read it, you know.

Here's the deal. All our Influence, Military (That's left) and our VIP with the weapons? Oh baby I think we know where that is going. First it was the Umbra, then ****ing Zeus. Conquest is conquest.

If you need it, we have ECO, we're buying MIL.

If you want to watch some planets burn under sustained orbital bombardment. Killing the Shade's MOR and MIL will give us an open shot at breaking their entire empire as the Galaxy is focused on Zeus. We get the strike we wanted, you get to remind them that their power over PPS was bought with borrowed time. Win. Win

Talk soon, I think we both have the Opsec to survive speaking in the open.

Neptune.

Spoiler: To the Magnus Apparatus: MOR 19
    Show

Well, honestly we're surprised as you are, didn't think the Competiton was capable of doing ANYTHING other than bragging about anything they did psionically.

Either way, it's unfortunate that it seems like somewhat Old news Zeus is going to try to use to obfuscate selling out our plan (and almost causing it's complete failure, only us holding back information saved it) and also.... well you know he's about to try to take over the Galaxy.

Same plan for the OFC next turn, just a bit of Espionage to make some new Archeotech friends.

Interested?

Neptune

Spoiler: To the Knights of Orias: MOR 19
    Show

Anyone home? Poking our heads in to ask about a rental and possible collaboration. We're assembling a team of very important individuals to steal the Cradle or other Archeotech from Zeus instead of just letting that Backstabbling ******* walk around Principia like he owns the place.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2021-06-30 at 03:01 AM.

18. - Top - End - #378

The Chrysaorian Hegemony

Morale 19
    Influence 10

Show

We appreciate your generosity in turn. We admit we are disappointed to see a lack of acrimony towards the Competition of Minds for their part in the Great Crash, but considering what we now know about the Hecatian Shade - well, your anger is justified.

This message has three purposes. First, we wish to ask whether or not the vision we have proposed for the galaxy - and PPS' place in it - is satisfactory. Not to put the cart before the horse, if you'll excuse the idiom, but we wish to know that our vision would not run counter to yours.

Secondly, we're inquiring if you have any archeotech you'd be willing to trade. We understand that you were notably absent from the publicized list, but it has been several years since that happened - we hold no hard feelings regarding that, incidentally, considered what has come from it - and it is possible, given the territory you occupy, that you have unearthed another.

Thirdly, if you do not have archeotech available, would you have an archeotech site available for our use (one that has only had between 0 and 9 levels cleared)? We would be prepared to compensate you for the trouble.

Sincerely,

Hermes
    God of Messages, Cooperation, and Alacrity

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2021-07-02 at 09:39 AM.
    as
    The Astral Collective

as

as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

19. - Top - End - #379
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hecatian Shade

Inf 0, public messages.

Show
    Funny that, I didn't realize the bloody pulps that were barely dragged back to your space were Fotuans, thought those were made of sterner stuff.

I'll take option two, but is gonna be the lot of it, if it means working with you. So, can't help but notice we're not getting called to a secret hidding spot like I assume the rest are, what's with that?

-Warmaster Adalith, commander of the Herald's Servants.

PS: if something is to be done, I believe whatever I can scour from your installations (perhaps Esp items) would be more useful to all than our research crews would be, let me know if you agree, and what's still left unexplored and I'll send Chi'tal over.

Spoiler: The Chrysaorian Hegemony
    Show
    Human Hegemons,

Your terms to us are laughable when compared to those offered to Seldiva or the others, it does you no good to bring our history up, as it is filled with stains, both seen and unseen.

Only look to our past in what can be done, offer to us, to the Shade, the exact call that was made to you and we can perhaps consider non-intervention.
    -Warmaster Adalith, commander of the Herald's Servants

Spoiler: OFC
    Show
    Advocates of liberal protectionism,

That could have gone better, it is of my belief that we can get this sorted out and still have a chance, depending on how everything works out. But just in case, could you please try to reel in your ally? I wager not, seeing how they speak of you now, but is worth the try.

-Ala Cait "the follower", 2nd speaker of Hecan, magni.
    Last edited by neriractor; 2021-07-01 at 04:11 PM.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Oracle Family Company
    Inf 8
    Mor 16

Spoiler: PPS - MOR 16
    Show

Greetings, although we will miss unprecedented access, we would have been opposed to any and all action that could have put any of the PPS assets in actual danger. We accept the reprimand with due respect and assume you will call for us to end our association with the shade. As you say, we must play the game.

We wonder if we might be able to gain access to your agents this year and also convince you to pull the trigger on the Nascence? We were fools to trust their word. Let us know what we might trade. We appreciate your continued assistance and support. If you could notify us in cases of collusion or if anyone seeks to engage your services, we would certainly appreciate it.

Spoiler: Hecatian Shade - MOR 16
    Show

It is unfortunate the way things turned out. It seems Seldiva had a leg up by preparing to double cross you from the start. We suggest you try to make reparations to the PPS. It was a gamble from the first and it did not work out as both of us would have liked.

Spoiler: Chrysaorian Hegemony - MOR 16
    Show

You have played the game well and wish you luck. We hold no ill will against you for for suspicions as they have been waived. We will consider your proposal. We advocate no stain on your record nor any betrayal. You will not be surprised to hear that Seldiva is gathering allies to attack you and feel they have been...let down as they feel you did not hold up your end of the bargain. We hope your investment last turn into the chronarch is defensive...rather than offensive. And certainly not aimed anywhere in the neighbourhood, despite Seldiva's suggestions.

You should also move to sanction the influence of the competition rather than declare war when you have no access nor incentive to move against them. It is a threat with no teeth.

Spoiler: Channel Seldiva - MOR 16
    Show

Although we have not dealt with one another before I would not call the company you keep. The competition, nobody was surprised to find out, was responsible for the great calamity and we feel quite confident they had warned you. You double crossed the shade a few times. Aside from a temporary alignment of goals, we do not quite feel confident that we would not be next in line to be double crossed., but we will hear you out.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

21. - Top - End - #381

PaladinGuy

The Magnus Apparatus

GPG Contained
    Trojan Contained

Cascade Event Averted

Admin Rights Restored to WUBE

Memory Core Retrieved

An Ending Approaches once again.

******Log 2.11: The Fading*******
    Spoiler
    Show
    [E003]: Heh, blank check signed by god. All the resources in the world. Access through the Solarium Grand Network, and I get stopped by a little civil war that won’t even get a note in the history books. Ironic eh Magnus?

[TMA]: Irony has been a difficult concept Munch, you continue to change its meaning.

[E003]: And yet I spent my last forsaken days playing games instead of trying to get out.

[TMA]: Your calculated odds of escaping the facility without incurring lethal radiation poisoning have been calculated to be 0.00032%. Repeating.

[E003]: I know the numbers Magnus.

[E003]: Sorry, guess I’m being a bit dramatic now. Getting real hungry now, and since my MRE supply isn’t exactly replenishing itself, I’m probably not gonna be the most pleasant conversation for the next few hours.

[TMA]: It is… alright, Munch.

[E003]: Well ain’t you sweet. Think you’re gonna miss me Magnus?

[E003]: C’mon, calm your fans down, you don’t need to worry about a silly question like that. I’m gonna start another game. Don’t think I’ll be around for too much longer.

[E003]: Gotta get yellow science optimized before I go. Can’t have this game beating me.

[TMA]: I will miss you, Munch.

[System Alert:] E003 has been disconnected for lack of activity

[TMA]: I will miss our conversations, and I will treasure the memories you have left behind.

[System Alert:] TMA has left the chat.

Morale 15, Influence 7

Midturn
    Spoiler
    Show
    6 Votes against Black Hole Sun

Channel Seldiva
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Output:] Great Crash: Irrelevant
    [Output:] Resources required For preparations against Oracle Trade Family
    [Output:] Chrysorian Hegemony assistance is unreliable against the OFC, stats prepared requesting launch elsewhere.
    [Output:] Espionage Available, VIP Trojan has been purged of Cascade Features.
    [Output:] Economy Required.
    [Output:] Trade Proposal: 2 economy for Trojan [lvl 1 Sabatoge VIP], 2 espionage for 3 economy. RESTRICTION: Maximum 6 espionage available.

Chrysoarian Hegemony
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Output:] Request Status on planned attacks
    [Output:] Archeotech collection unstable domination method
    [Output:] Request Longterm intentions for Galaxy at large.

Idrian Nascence
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Output:] Response Registered
    [Output:] Cascade Event contained
    [Output:] Trade potential = high
    [Output:] Stats Required: Economy
    [Output:] Stats available: Psi, Military, Influence
    [Output:] Trade ratio: 2 available stats for 3 economy

Oracle Family Trade Company
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Output:] Hellion piece now available.
    [Output:] Requesting 12 economy for Hellion piece

Hecetian Shade
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Output:] Request Repayment Status.
    [Output:] [Reminder] 4 science owed.
    Last edited by A_Dinosaur; 2021-07-02 at 09:31 AM.

22. - Top - End - #382

Spoiler: To the Shade: MOR 19
    Show

Well, they were made of sturdier stuff than your many of your frigates in the end. Gotta love it.

Either way, the reason you weren't invited into a meeting is that there currently isn't one going on. Our Opsec is more than strong enough to block the eyes of the Hegemony and honestly, I think they know we're coming anyway.

Here's an offer. Your ESP and PSI into the attempt to steal, we let you into our yet to be used installation. Seeing as you should want to help stop the Hegemony anyways, it seems like an extremely generous offer.

Let us know.

Spoiler: To the Oracle Family Company: MOR 19
    Show

Let us be clear. We will not double-cross you because we aren't promising not to attempt to destabilize your attempt next year. In fact, if your attempt is going to take over the galaxy with no part to Seldvia, we can PROMISE you that we will. We are not interested in the business of losing.

We are guessing that you aren't either and that is why you should assist us against the Hegemony, we do nothing, and those gods will never let anyone live it down.

Neptune.

[OOC: Not promising that I won't try to stop YOU next turn from winning, but you have the opportunity here to use this turn half as preparation and half as an attack to open up the win. Seems like a no-brainer.]

23. - Top - End - #383
    Bugbear in the Playground

Devil

Oracle Family Company
    Inf 8
    Mor 16

Spoiler: midturn - GM only
    Show

OFC votes: 8 votes Nay to black hole sun
    PPS votes: 7 votes Nay to black hole sun

Activate fission lab. Clone Ptsehk: esp 2 specialisation archetoech theft.
    Activate composer.
    "God does not play dice with the universe; He plays an ineffable game of his own devising, which might be compared, from the perspective of any of the other players, to being involved in an obscure and complex version of poker in a pitch dark room, with blank cards, for infinite stakes, with a dealer who won't tell you the rules, and who smiles all the time." (Good Omens - Terry Pratchett)

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Competition of Minds
    Mor 10
    Inf 4

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show
    All 4 votes for Black Hole. I wanna see a territory vanish!

Spoiler: Channel
    Show
    Do we meet this year? We are not too concerned abiut the war with Hegemony. An opposition with them was happening anyway.

Spoiler: Nascence
    Show
    Agreement pulses out
    [A scholar meets with the other to discuss the futurenof their research]
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

25. - Top - End - #385
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Hecatian Shade

inf 0, public messages

Show
    frigates are not exactly built for durability.

We can agree to that.

Spoiler: midturn gm only
    Show
    Samsung chi'tal [tier 2sci] the brain implant (+2sci) the other thingy I think I had (+1 sci) and 5 sci to Seldiva's unexplored installation (can't really check My sheet should the thingy be ficticious throw 1 more regular sci there.

My extremely mighty vote total goes to yes for the mil one.