Planetar

Default IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Candlekeep Mysteries

Dimers - Eleazar Althus
    Archemist - Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn
    Ramsus - Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Pyrophilios - Sir Kynos of Falkenstein

Finrair's Rest

The small coastal town of Finrair's Rest was never anything special, a small collection of homes, farms, a tavern, and a small chapel dedicated to no god in particular. While unremarkable, Finrair's Rest enjoyed a quiet prosperity. Situated about halfway between Baldur's Gate and Candlekeep, the village inn was almost always at full capacity. This kept the towns citizens fully employed in the various tasks involved in hospitality. While not flashy, the people here live a good life.

Lately however, the towns fortune has turned. The farms have not been as productive, with crops withering, fields going fallow. Livestock have gone missing too, and attempts at finding them, or their thieves, have failed. And while their own production has failed, attempts to trade for goods have also failed with three convoys being attacked in the last month alone. Good and bad years have come and gone, but to have so many problems in such a short period of time has people suspicious.

It is the 13th day of the Fading, halfway between midday and sunset. The Sandy Shore Inn is two well built buildings around a small courtyard with several fruit trees, all of which lie barren. The main building, a normally lively place sits rather empty. A tanned human with broad strong shoulders polishes glasses behind the large oak bar, waiting for the nightly crowd. Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir, Sir Kynos of Falkenstein, Eleazar Althus, and Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn, sit at a table discussing chance meeting that have lead them here.

Shortly after the first round of drinks arrive, a disheveled halfling enters the tavern, takes a glance around, and makes her way to your table. She appears to be a farmer, dressed in plain, dirty clothing with wild ginger hair and sad eyes. "I am sorry to bother you my lords, but we have not had visitors in some time. My name is Breeni, and I was hoping to ask a favor, if it would not be too much trouble." She reaches into a small knapsack around her shoulder and pulls out some coins, "I would be happy to pay for your dinner to thank for your time."
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-03-22 at 02:51 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

"Thank you for your offer, Breeni. What troubles you? We've heard talk of quite a few woes this town is suffering." Eleazar, still looking the part of the warrior in his well-used scale armor, speaks with a very un-warlike compassion. He puts down his drink and folds his hands over his chest, giving the halfling his attention.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

"It's no trouble at all. Thank you." Runa says with a faint smile, as getting approached by people asking brave adventurers for help with their troubles was the kind of stories she'd heard about before and was absolutely the kind of thing she was out here to experience.

At Eleazar's words she nods and adds, "Yes, yes. Tell us all about it."

Spoiler
    Show

@munimortal: If possible could you avoid the really bright and/or faint speech colors? They hurt my eyes a bit sometimes. Not a big deal or anything, just figured I'd ask if it's no major inconvenience for you.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

"Keep your coin and take a seat. What can we do for you?" Know replied amiably, confirming his companions stance.
    The paladin's handsome features revealed no scars and a youthful innocence that were at odds with the clearly dented armor and the worn hilt of his sword.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn

The Grand Wizard is quiet at first while her companions jump to offer assistance to the farmer. Before Breeni can launch into an explanation, though, Patricia just lets out a sparkling little laugh and asks, "First, do you know who we are? Mighty brave to ask favors of a wizard. We sometimes find that for tricky problems the simplest solution is to turn everyone involved into small animals. You never know." She winks and adds, "If only it were always so easy, eh? Well, I'm intrigued what problem could need our help. You may proceed with your story."

Her tone seems light but a little dismissive. Grand Wizards value their time, and Patricia is careful about not promising much to random townsfolk. She also doesn't seem to feel a need to introduce herself to Breeni, despite asking if she knew her name.

Her blue scales and horns are intimidating, but her current dress and circumstances are certainly plenty approachable (casual grey peacoat, staff leaning against the wall behind her, having just ordered a shepherd's pie and cider in a quaint village inn).
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-03-22 at 10:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Breeni's apprehension at approaching a group of adventurer's had started to fade hearing Kynos, Runa and Eleazar's kind welcoming words, but as she heard Patricia's admonishing words, she became nervous once again.

"Thank you again my lords,"
    she studdered nervously, "I am hoping that you are jouneying south, towards Candlekeep. If you can tell, our town has fallen on hard times. Bad crops, missing livestock, and most recently bandits on the road. It has gotten so bad that some of our townfolk believe we are," and she leans in and says in a hushed voice, "cursed." She Continues, "I think it is nonsense, but you know what they say about self-fulfilling proficies. I was hoping you could find help for us. Either someone to prove it is not a curse, or someone to remove it. A kind, but odd, wizard named Matreous visited our town from Candlekeep once, perhaps he could help. Would you be willing to find him for me?"

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"Certainly. It would also help if you could tell us when exactly this curse began and if there was any particular event coinciding - maybe you turned away an old woman or a child went missing?"
    Kynos asked kindly.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I cannot recall any incident. I really just think people's imaginations are running wild. I half expect Matreous to tell us we are all crazy, but at least then we will know."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"I am certainly up to meet with more wizards. Where can we find him?" Runa replies with keen interest in this amusing sounding character.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-03-23 at 05:42 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I am not sure where he could be. He had mentioned being from Candlekeep, but if he is not there perhaps the monks there would know where he is." ​ Breeni reaches into the bag she had on her shoulder and removes an old leather bound book. Her hands tremble as she hands the book over,
    "I hear that they require a valuable book to enter Candlekeep. We don't own anything of value, but this book holds all our family recipes going back at least ten generations. It's the most precious thing we own, but if it can save our family and friends, it would be worththe trade."

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos nodded and turned to "Patricia": "Maybe we can split the difference. Do you have a spell that could create a copy of that book? Something like a self writing quill? It would allow us entry into the inner sanctum of Candlekeep and the family might keep their recipes."

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia seems surprised by the halfling's offer. "We're headed to Candlekeep already, so I'd be happy to mention you to Matreous if we see him. I already have a book that should gain me entry, but just in case - " here she pauses and concentrates for a moment, and then a duplicate of the halfling's book appears in her hands. "See? We should be fine, you can keep your heirloom." She tucks the duplicate book into the inside pocket of her coat with a quick motion.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    It's just Prestidigitation, so anybody who identifies the spell can know that "Patricia" was deceiving the halfling (and Kynos?) into thinking she had copied the book when really it's just an illusion of the object. But they can probably also tell that it wasn't done out of malice - as with the offer of dinner money, Patricia seems to be trying to politely refuse to take Breeni's treasured book.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Troll in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

(1d20)[11]+1 Investigation

Using Divine Sense to see if there are any malicious or infernal spirits around

Kynos smiled at "Patricia", genuinely happy that this problem was resolved.
    "In that case, we are more than prepared to present your case. Let me just check something first." Kynos closed his eyes and concentrated on his divine senses.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-23 at 05:13 PM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa gives Patrica a "I see what you did there" kind of look and gives a small smile and nod of approval.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Breeni's eyes sparkle with joy at the sight of such amazing magic being performed. "Thank you so much my lady! We will be forever in your debt." Breeni puts her family recipe book back into her shoulder bag, and stands up, "I have taken up far too much of your valuable time. I will make sure you receive nothing but the best from the Sandy Shore, Sam is a close friend. Be well, and safe travels. We look forward to seeing you again."

Breeni heads to the up to the bar, and has a few words with the bartender. They look your way, and nod in agreement with each other, then Breeni gives a final wave farewell and heads out of the tavern. As she does, its seems that the town has decided it is dinner time, and the inn starts to fill for the evening meal. Sam, as you have been told is the bartenders name, quickly comes to your table to take an order, and to tell you that rooms have can be arranged for you if needed. While not packed, the low din of the occupants allows you the opportunity for a semi-private conversation.

Spoiler: Kynos Divine Sense
    Show
    You are unable to detect any beings of good or evil, or any areas which have been consecrated or desecrated.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

"Whatever that curse is, it doesn't seem to be infernal in nature - at least not within the closer vicinity.
    After all that commotion today I'm really looking forward to a soft bed. Maybe we can pool our ressources and hire a waggon around here to take us to Candlekeep tomorrow. It doesn't look like they have an abundance of horses to sell around here."

Kynos tried to restart the conversation after the halfling had gone.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    "Maybe we can pool our resources and hire a wagon around here to take us to Candlekeep tomorrow. It doesn't look like they have an abundance of horses to sell around here."
    Kynos tried to restart the conversation after the halfling had gone.
    Patricia nods but says only, "Riding by cart or wagon would be so quaintly rustic, don't you think? I don't have a lot of experience riding, though - do you, Sir Kynos? Regardless, I'm in, it sounds like a hoot." Toothless the hawk gives a squeak that is not a hoot, disgruntled that other birds would be referenced in his presence.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Troll in the Playground

"It's not that difficult if the horse is willing, but no, I wouldn't consider myself an expert horseman. Evident by the fact that those goblins managed to kill my faithful steed." Kynos replied with a smile.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa makes a frown and says, "I am sorry to hear about your horse Kynos." There's enough emotion in her voice that it's clear she isn't just being polite, but actually expression her consolement.

After a pause she says, "I'm afraid I don't have much coin with me, though I can probably procure a mount at least for myself." she doesn't elaborate, a deliberate attempt at being a bit mysterious. Though Kynos having met her before probably knows what she means.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos smiled at that: "I think I can cover your fare - no need to sweet talk someone's ride."
    He patted the messenger bag at his side: "I hope the abbot will forgive me losing the order's property - at least the messages are still all there. I can't wait until I'll be ready to swear my oath - full members of the order can actually chose the missions they are sent on.

What are you all going to do once you have finished your business at Candlekeep?"

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa raises an eyebrow at Kynos, wondering why he'd imply she'd steal someone's horse when she could just ask a wild animal.

She frowns very briefly for a moment before putting on a polite smile again and answering, "I'm just traveling to travel more or less. Seeing new places, that kind of thing."

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    "What are you all going to do once you have finished your business at Candlekeep?"
    Eleazar makes a face in reply, half amusement and half annoyance. "Probably hike back to Silverymoon -- the hard way. I'm not sure I want to risk the teleportation back ... might end up in a volcano or on a desert isle. Hah, as far as teleport mishaps go, I suppose I got lucky this time. I'll stay at Candlekeep as long as they'll have me, though. There's plenty to research for my order's elder priests, to say nothing of my own pet projects. Probably more than one mere half-elven lifetime could allow. The limiting factor is definitely Candlekeep's hospitality; they're not known for hosting random scholars indefinitely."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    "Hah, as far as teleport mishaps go, I suppose I got lucky this time. I'll stay at Candlekeep as long as they'll have me, though."
    Patricia nods understandingly. "Indeed, I've heard they have wards, too, against teleportation into the Library. So I'll be relying on my reputation somewhat, myself. And they're strict because they know that once one gets started on research, there's really no 'end' at a place like Candlekeep. But I'll vouch for you if there's any question."

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

"I haven't spend as much time with books as I probably should, but I expect there are some treasures there, no doubt. In any case it seems as if we certainly all have the same aspiration at the moment - getting safely and swiftly to Candlekeep.
    I suggest we get going then - the sooner we inform that scholar, the sooner Fin's Rest wil receive aid."

Kynos remarked and stood up to make travel arrangements for the group.
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-28 at 04:51 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Nightfall has come in full to the Sandy Shore Inn. The beautiful sunset over the Sea of Swords has faded away revealing a cool crisp nighttime. The already small crowd at the inn has diminished further leaving only a few tables of patrons, most of whom seem deep in their cups. The air has a nervous quality to it, unsure if the night holds peace or terrors.

The innkeep moves expertly between tables collecting plates and glasses, but takes a pause when he sees Kynos approaching. "I hope everything was satisfactory with your dinner, whenever you are ready, rooms have been prepared for you upstairs. Don't worry about payment either, Breeni informed me that you will be doing a service for the town, and the inn is mostly empty tonight anyway. Is there anything else I can get for you? Another round? I can leave a bottle out if you wish to stay up late, it seems the road has been rough on you."
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-03-28 at 12:04 AM.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"No thank you." Runa hastily answers for the group. Then she corrects and adds, "At least, no more to drink for me tonight. I think I'll just retire to my room. I'm sure we'll have a chance to catch up and get to know each all better as we travel." And unless anyone else says anything to stop her, she does just that.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you very much, yes it was excellent", Kynos replied politely. "Can you inquire in the morning if there is anyone around that could take us in coach or waggon to Candlekeep? We can pay. If necessary we can also rent horses, though I'd prefer the former transport. Maybe a merchant that would enjoy a bit more protection on his journey through us being with him?"
    After receiving the proprietors answer, Kynos nodded, whished everyone a good night and took to his room.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia also retires after graciously wishing everyone a good night.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You retire upstairs to your own rooms. Four bedrooms right at the top of the stairs which are not large, but very cozy. Each room has a small table and well build chair, and each bed features a large soft mattress with silky soft cotton sheets. The rooms walls are thick, so only the barest murmur of the dwindling crowd down below reaches your ears as you go to sleep. Eventually even that noise goes away, and a full silence falls on the inn. The only sound is the rhythmic pattern of waves crashing softly onto the nearby beach which lull you all to sleep.

The night passes uneventfully and you awaken to cool foggy morning. While the thick walls protect against the sounds of breakfast being cooked, they do not prevent the smell of freshly baked bread and frying bacon from reaching you. The first person down the stairs finds the tavern already occupied by people at various stages of eating breakfast. The same table from the previous evening sits empty, but a new person stands behind the bar. The slender elf greets you, "Good morning! Sam left me instructions to see if any travelers were heading towards Candlekeep. A merchant is heading to Amn, and is willing to share space on his wagon in exchange for help setting up camp and tending to his animals." The elf leans in, "Though, he will probably make a poor traveling companion, the most I got out of him was a grunt of agreement to the proposal. I would gather the rest of your group and supplies, he seems impatient, and has already started to get preparations made to leave."
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-03-28 at 10:44 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos, only a little grumpy of missing an enticing breakfast, replied: "Thanks. Could you prepare a quick pack for us four with some of that delicious smelling food? I'll inform my companions to get ready and then go out to meet that merchant."

That done, Kynos went to do as he said, taking a good look at their transport and it's owner.