New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default D&D 3.5 Sands of Fate: Holding destiny in your hands (Sandbox)

per request of Admin this first post is reserved for links to all threads

I will also be adding and updating house rules and setting information.
    opening post coming soon.

here is OOC thread
    Last edited by Dieuoffire; 2022-05-09 at 10:11 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Default Re: D&D 3.5 Sands of Fate: Holding destiny in your hands (Sandbox)

Adventure 1: The Call of a Desperate Queen
    As you approach the town of Afon on the north banks of the Swiftrun River it looks about as you imagined it; a small point of opportunity nestled in with the last of the hills coming down from the north. The town is small enough not to be a city, but large enough that it is not above notice and it is growing. The only blotch on this picturesque view is the broken and recently burned castle a few miles north east from the little town. Recently destroyed, the burnt Castle remains are easy to tell that it was the focus of fury for a dangerous group; The Hellblades.

Rumors fly about the Hellblades; Ogres, Mercenaries, Armed, Armored, invincible, trained, Disciplined Elite Warriors, Rage Machines. The rumors vary but what doesn't vary in each one? Fear. The Hellblades have evaded a large army, captured national tribute, Destroyed a smaller army, Murdered Nobles, burned down a castle and terrorized dozens of villages and the City of Afon now reports the Hellblades are being seen closer and closer to home.

As you look at it, you are again reminded of what Afon represents. Opportunity.

Upon entering the town you see the usual run of townspeople. Farmers, shopkeepers, blacksmiths; they are all here. Posted in the town square is the official Queen's notice along with a few local notices

Spoiler: Queens Notice
    Show
    By Royal Decree
    Her Ladyship Queen Eilonwy,
    Guardian of the Rivers
    Ruler of Riverrun,
    Friend to the Celestial Worlds,
    Blessed of the Holy Phoenix,

Has decided that whosoever is able to destroy the Band of Raiders Known as the Hellblades and return to the queen the stolen tribute to her Ladyship shall be awarded NOBILITY and land! The town Afon and the surrounding land are hereby offered as reward. The queen shall also award funds to renovate and restore the former castle or build a new one as the new Nobility shall deem fit. Furthermore the most gracious Queen has decided that the titles shall be deemed hereditary passing on from generation to generation.

Come all those who wish the generosity of a queen and lasting wealth! Come and earn your place in the halls of heroes to our blessed nation!

The queen will award the titles and blessings at Riverrun once the Hellblades and tribute are assured in their proper place.

Signed
    Queen Eilonwy

Spoiler: A state of Emergency powers
    Show

According to the laws of our nation, the vacancy of the seat of responsibility in any given area will immediately put the Mayor of any given town in the Seat of Responsibility for each town in the affected area until such a time as a new Noble shall be seated by our beloved queen. At which time the Mayor shall give an accounting of their actions to the seat and receive justice for their actions, weather reward or punishment, as deemed within the law and as decided upon by the Seat of Responsibility.

I Mayor Bel do hereby claim the Seat of Responsibility for the town of Afon and surrounding areas until such time as another is seated by our Queen.

The town is alive with chatter and people, the docks are unloading, the hawkers are calling their wares. Some few notice you as you enter town. It seems that this town is starting to get used to more and more travelers, merchants and visitors.

You may act as you choose

Spoiler: Your arrival
    Show
    You may arrive by ship or land, or any other way you are capable of doing so. entering the town and looking around will sooner or later give the above information.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

Planetar

A single small gnome hobbles into town, even the slowest wagons pass him by. His youthful face is at odds with the gnarled carriage of his walk. A slight shimmer crosses over his face. Anyone skilled in the arcane arts would easily recognize it as mage armor. A long day of traveling had run out his greater mage armor and Quentin had fallen back on the lesser charm. Now that he was in a real city again perhaps he could lower his guard a bit. Quentin eyed the notices, especially the one from the Mayor, with a suspicious eye. Perhaps not then.

Quentin was smart enough to know that if this problem was large enough to make promises like that he wouldn't be solving it all on his lonesome. He leaned against a pole in the market, keeping an eye on the crowd for any unusual characters that might be looking to collect on the ogre's heads as well.

Spoiler: Mechanics
    Show
    DC21 to identify mage armor
    [roll]1d20+10[/roll] Knowledge(Nobility) specifically for information on other times common folk have been ennobled
    [roll]1d20[/roll] Spot/Listen check to notice other players arriving<I left off the brackets and the rolls failed, just ignore them for now>
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2022-05-08 at 11:56 PM. Reason: messed up my rolls, ignore them for now

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Mounted upon her horse riding at a walking pace as she enters town. Looking at the many buildings, Then stopping at the local shrine/temple of Kara, The Flashing Blade, Goddess of the skies. Dismounting and walking in to find the donation box for the meek and poor depositing 1.3 gp it was not much but it would help. Walking her horse to the local stables she makes arrangements for the steeds care and upkeep. Afterwards she asks where the local tavern/inn might be so that she can get a room and a meal. Along the way to the inn she notices the sign that is asking for aid in the defeat of these brutes the hellblades. She was up for the task and decided to go ask the mayor about this.

Greeting Mayor Bel, you may call me Tina. I noticed the posting of the queen and yourself. I am here to ask what you may know about the Band of Raiders Known as the Hellblades?

Spoiler: rolls for interactions with the mayor
    Show

(1d20+6)[9] Gather Information
    (1d20+7)[21] Sense Motive
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-05-09 at 01:59 AM.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

A single dragonborn looking individual walks into town with scales the colors of white, purple and yellow covering his body and a weird looking cloak around his neck, a sack on his back with a sheild baring 3 dragon heads of purple, Orange and yellow. If any passersby are paying attention, they would notice unlike other dragonborns he has hair the color of soot with lines of silver running through it. His hair is done in a hairstyle with several rings of silver and gold within. Looking around Ali see the Burned out husk of a castle and Whistles By the Nine Hells. What did she do to piss off those Orges. I want to congratulate them if only on their moxie alone. This is going to be fun He notices a gnome but pays them no attention as he heads towards the bar to get the bar to hear the latest rumors and how the mood in the city is.

Show

(1d20+3)[14] Gather Information on Queen
    (1d20+3)[22] Knowledge local
    Last edited by razorfloss; 2022-05-09 at 07:57 PM.
    Its not about having good grades It's about passing the semester

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Nicholas (Nick if he likes you) Lorchester
    Jeqem Ashthorn

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

An insectoid four-armed individual enters the town, moving a bit too hectic and fast only to stand still for awhile and then continue the movement. The burned down Castle was noticed and has piqued Iktnek's interest and the bounty told a pretty interesting story. The insect was then going around and giving beggars or street children (if they were not too afraid of her) some copper to spread the word that the weird insect who would play at the town square was interested in bringing down these ogres.

Iktnek would then do just that, find a nice spot in the town square and play a bit on her bandolin.

Spoiler: Perform; OOC
    Show
    (1d20+13)[20] +9 (skill) +2 (bandolin) +2 (songblade)
    Giving 5 gold to "spread the word"
    Last edited by Alhallor; 2022-05-09 at 03:39 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridai View Post
    No no no, not speaking while fighting. Speaking with the fighting!

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

7. - Top - End - #7

A cloaked humanoid with suspicious ears enters the town through some brush. He appears a bit young to be traveling, but there doesn't seem to be any worry about him. He looks out in the distance, spotting the castle and appears to be in awe but purely because of the sight. Shortly after, he noticed the notice which seemed like an opportunity, although being a noble and owning land sounds tedious.

He then began doing rounds making use of his appearance to get information.

Spoiler: roll
    Show
    (1d20+6)[22] Gather Information

8. - Top - End - #8

Planetar

Quentin was getting nothing just standing here except the whispers of a four armed musician. If they were looking to take on the ogres if was at least worth checking out. If nothing else, anyone else might cluster around such an obvious lightning rod. The gnome slowly approached the insect, unfazed by the monstrous appearance. "I hear you are looking to take on the ogres. If you aren't planning to take them on alone I'd like to hitch myself to your wagon so to speak. I am not much of a conversationalist but I have many talents that may come in handy in a fight." Quentin summoned a swarm of bees around himself that disappeared precisely 6 seconds later then teleported 15 feet away only to teleport back a moment later. The gnome quirks an eyebrow at the insect nearly 3 times his height, "Do I make the cut then?"

Show
    Bee Swarm on self but choosing not to move
    Dimensional Jaunt as a standard and a swift the next round

9. - Top - End - #9
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

The shadow had been circling the edge of the town for the last quarter hour, before it veered inward and rapidly expanded. With a rush of air a set of massive feathered wings opened slowing the descent to a gentle landing, albeit sending a gust of air and a rolling cloud of dust out for a few yards. Sebastian stood in the stirrup then swung his leg over and stepped off of Vehmyr, falling into a crouch before bouncing to his feet. Turning he surveyed the gray mass of muscle and feathers each ending with a crimson tip, giving the gryphon an almost spotted appearance. Checking the weapons sword and hammer at his waist, Sebastian strode towards the message board taking in the Queen's Notice & the mayor's claim.

Well that explains the castle... they'd seen & smelt the burned structure it being the primary reason they'd decided to enter the town openly vs Seb walking into town discreetly.

I'm going to go talk to the mayor & see if there is anyone else interested in pursing these ogres, I doubt we'll be enough & a reward is only useful if we live. Do me a favor and don't eat anyone's horse.

The gryphon's tuft ear twitched at this last comment, he had indeed just seen a young mare that looked absolutely delicious.

After several minutes of conversing with the mayors staff, gathering what facts & details he could, he was brought into the mayors receiving chambers.

Mayor Bel, (bowing) My name is Sebastian, Sebastian Pelegarde. I saw the queen's notice/request for dealing with the hellblades, I was curious if there was any documentation/writ or permission I needed before attempting to engage, is there a form of proof of life you'd prefer & if you had other interested parties?

After speaking with the mayor Sebastian noticed the gnome and the odd insectile creature, then watched as the Gnome called forth a swarm of bees before vanishing & re-appearing.... Interesting...... He strode over Greetings er... my fellow travelers! I'm Sebastian.

Spoiler: Spoiler- Actions
    Show
    Charisma Check - (1d20+4)[16] To be friendly / have good encounters.
    Gather Information Check - (1d20+4)[9]
    Diplomacy Check - (1d20+16)[20]
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-05-09 at 03:46 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Orc in the Playground

Stepping off the gangway for the ship she took to get here, Aralis brushes some crusted salt off of the fine linens she is wearing. The elaborate braids that cascade down her back are also a bit worse for the wear and her expression is decidedly neutral, though the light, almost translucent blindfold she wears would make it a touch more difficult to read her mood regardless.

Nodding to the captain as he walks down the plank himself and comes to stand beside her, she passes him a small sack of coin and says, "I appreciate the swift passage, captain."

Having paid her fare, she leaves without further delay, searching first for an inn where she can clean up a bit. Finding that doesn't take too long and she shows no notable signs of her vision being significantly impeded as she moves into the city and then enters the building, handing over a few coins to use a room for an hour. At the end of that, she comes out garbed in significantly cleaner and more elaborate clothing. The blindfold has been swapped for a veil and her garb and jewelry are of extremely fine make.

Leaving the inn, she makes her way towards the gathering point noted on the signs, though she gives those only a cursory glance. The others gathered for the assault upon the ogres get a bit more attention and she expects they'll all end up being accepted and bundled together into the sort of ragged group that bards tell tales about, but she is content to wait for something a bit more official to be announced for now.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Taking a bit of time to clean up from her travels, then using Shiftweave to swap to a nobles outfit before going to the meeting points.
    Last edited by Balthanon; 2022-05-11 at 12:34 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

@Benoojian
    Watching the town square isn't a bad way to go seeing how sooner or later most everyone finds a way to the square.

You see several figures pass through the square as you watch. Including dozens of individuals who you assume to be 'Adventurers.' The problem is that you can tell with one look that many are not up to par. Shabby armor, low quality gear, the look of a child thinking to become a hero.

Then there is the real competition, or perhaps allies. people who show up and make the pretenders step back just by looking at them. It's easy to see them, bearing magical weapons, scarred in some places and walking like they could turn the next step into a blood soaked trail because they decided to.

There are plenty of all types here.

@Samduke
    As you approach the temples area you do see a strange sight. There is a *very* old temple in this town. Possibly one of the oldest you've seen. It seems to be growing and falling apart at the same time; new construction amid the old temple buildings, but not restoration. It is a temple to Greenwolf the Goddess of Nature. There are also shrines to Phoenix, Kara, and Ren nearby. Although the temple to Greenwold dominates them all.

There are actually several inns and taverns. Choosing one you, find that it is starting to get full, but not quite there yet. The kitchen is also running at full steam, much to the well fed innkeeper's delight.

The Mayor is a busy individual, you are not the first Armored individual in line to speak to her today. However with a bit of patience you soon find yourself in her office.

in responce to your introduction and inquiry the May responds

"Tina, a pleasure to see so many taking our plight seriously! I am mayor Bel. And unfortunately I don't have anywhere near the information that I would like. I am trying to make as much time as I can to help those who are trying to help me and my people But my duties have multiplied lately so..." Here her speaking changes almost to a recital tone, you have a feeling that she has given this information often as of late.

"The Hellblades are Ogres, and aggressive ones. They are led by a commander smart enough to evade large armies and divination magic; and charismatic enough to lead one of the largest most dedicated Ogre units I have heard of.

I call them a unit because, according to the rare survivor, they fight like a trained unit, including near matching armor and weapons. Their most recent victory was over one hundred of our Queens' Calvary. They are dead to the last man. Only one horse, bearing half of a corpse, came back. It was nearly drenched in blood.

Now I know you have not asked but several others have so let me give you the next point that always comes up. I am using our troops to protect the town and surrounding area. I will NOT give them to you. If I gave troops to every would be hero I would not have enough to police my town. I know you may be the next lady of our lands, but so might someone else after you be the one, and whomever it is will be rather unhappy with me if I send our troops to follow someone who doesn't win and then I don't have the resources to defend against the retaliatory strike from the Hellblades.

The Hellblades have already Literally burned down the castle of the lord who was supposed to protect us! My duty is not to prop up heroes but to keep this town safe and running. The people fed, the streets clear of crime. IF you do turn out to be our next lady I'm sure you would appreciate a town not starving or overrun by crime."

Show
    Your sense motive will tell you that the mayor is tired but honest. She is at the end of her personal abilities running the show singlehandedly. You feel she actually wants another Noble who will do their job so she can do hers.

@razorfloss
    After spending some time listening to the locals Ali figures out there is a sense of 'wariness' but not 'panic.' The Hellblades are a threat to be sure, but not if you don't go north. Most agree that there is no way the Hellblades would attack the city itself. Not with all the adventurers showing up anyway.

Most of the people believe in the queens ideas. 'A nation born without being bathed in blood' sounds great to most citizens, who would normally be shedding the blood. Also the Queen does seem to have the blessing of several gods.

Ali would also know that...
    The Mayor is a woman by the name of Bel.

The major temple in town is to Greenwolf. It was her first temple ever built. The temple is a little strange in that the goddess has said that is will not ever be restored but that it must grow into something new. The philosophy for this temple is 'If a forest burns down it regrows with new trees. Same forest, different trees. So it is with this temple; same temple, all different buildings.

@Alhallor
    Five gold (divided up into copper) will buy a lot of beggar's and children's attention. They easily spread the word, probably not to the right people, but to enough people. Soon you have several people casting an evaluating eye upon you.

@Dakrsidder
    haru begings asking around about goings on in the town and surrounding area. he hears alot of the same. Ogres, terrifying, etc, etc. One rumor however does stand out. Over two years ago, way before the Hellblades showed up, there was a woodcutter who came into town all the time saying he kept seeing some wizard up north doing magic on all the hills. the wizard always had ogres with him. strange enough nobody else ever saw the wizard.

@Benoojian
    Your displays of magic draw attention rather quickly. there are several young hopefuls who see it and call out to you, however, they are not really up to your standards. Some look like they would be an absolute liability.

MCollarsen
    Your landing is one of the more noticeable things that happens in town today. Gryphon riders are rare and their skills are usually well above par, after all to tame a gryphon you have to not be eaten by it.

As you are waiting in line for the Mayor you notice several other armed figures. A sigh escapes your lips as you begin counting out how many fools don't seem to realize the dangers of enemies who can take down a castle and get the attention of a queen.

The mayor listens to your inquiries and responds "Some kind of evidence would be welcome, especially if you are from the broken lands, and of course the queen's stolen tribute returned would be the other requirement.

Once a claim is made, the tribute returned, and evidence given; soldiers will be dispatched to make sure the Orges are, solved... Then some simple magic will reveal the truth of your claims.

Assuming you are telling the truth. The queen will be notified and the rewards promptly delivered and proclaimed. the queen will also probably want to meet you, she is taking an interest in all the nobles in the kingdom."

Balthanon
    after you quick freshening up you manage to make it to the town square and examine the competition and possible allies. there are already groups forming. two in particular draw your interest. the first and largest being a large group of individuals who seem to have a charismatic half elf speaking to the crowd. the second a smaller but possibly more individually dangerous group with a knight, an Arcanist of some variety and a rather large insect. But your experience has taught you before, strange creatures offer interesting challenges.

The charismatic speaker in the larger group seems to have the idea that overwhelming odds will win the day, an 'Army of Heroes' and other rhetoric spills forth to the group of listeners.

after a few questions you gain a little more understanding. the Mayor is not going to organize anything. if you want the prize, you do the deed seems to be the prevailing thought. According to the rather loud speaker it is "A test, Do you understand? From the queen herself to find out who acts and who is worthy!" The man never seems to run out of breath.

Spoiler: @everyone
    Show

Knowledge (Local) i do by region, I gave the above Info because it was a general roll, but for future reference pick a region.

The group of individuals is large but not really that strong. Lots and lots of low levels is where they rank.

Anyone who wants to can get a similar spill from the mayor. if you want to hear her words from herself just make a line in your next post that you go and speak with her asking about the Hellblades and she will give the same speech. her general attitude is 'I play defense for the town and you play offense, then you get the rewards.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Iktnek, with some delight, watches as the gnome does some magic tricks. Nice! These bees look vicious. She claps with all 4 claws. I even have a bit of a plan already, we just need someone who can scout a bit ahead and someone with a bow. And then we just... Then Sebastian joins the frey. Greetings Sebastian, Iktnek Firedancer is my name, or just Iktnek. She waves with one claw, swishing away formalities.

Also up against the ogres? Seems like word get's around already. Good, good. You have a bow? Or can spot a bunch of secretive ogres easily?

That rabite monk dive-blobbing you in the face, followed by hooking teeth into your belt and suplexing you is a woefully poorly understood way of remarking on how nice the weather is.

13. - Top - End - #13

That's strange. Was there ever any mention of why the woodcutter thought they were a wizard outside of magic, what the wizard looked like, or if the woodcutter had an idea of what the effects of the magic were? You never know what might be useful and even if it's not, it's interesting to hear. Haru appears to be somewhat intrigued having heard something new curious to see if there's anything more to it.

Shortly after, he turns to the sound of magic being used, but the giant insect catches his attention. After becoming reasonably certain he'd gleaned all he could, he walks over to get a closer look. It's a bit disappointing to see the real thing but still pretty cool, especially considering one actually exists. What can you do by the way? I see you have a blade but you have four arms. I sure hope you got more in store. As he says this, his expression seems to be of awe due to seeing an unusual creature.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

When the cloaked humanoid approaches and talks to Iktnek she stands up, getting the bandolier on her back again. She focuses him with her many-segmented eyes and nods. She didn't usually show off but they're already some promising people gathered here and it could get the last push for some more promising individuals. She makes sure that there is enough room to not injure anyone. The blade is just for a better performance. When I really need to fight I prefer to burn them all to ash.

The last words are said in the same cold monotone the insect used before and out of her claws snake forth 4 whips of fire radiating heat. With a flick of her wrist they are all gone as soon as they appear. If you want your weapons burning with the heat of the dessert just let me sing to you. And what can you do? I haven't seen any of your arms. Iktnek produces a throaty gurgling sound which may be laughter.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Orc in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Sebastian let loose an appreciative whistle at the pyrotechnic display. Addressing Iktnek, "Firedancer indeed!" "In regards to your query I do indeed have a bow, though I admit my skill is partially limited to strafing fire while mounted." He paused, considering.... "I can volley, stand with others and fight in a picket line, but I'm much more effective conducting either a cavalry charge or a high impact towards a target."

Momentarily turning away he gave another whistle, this one much sharper. "As for spotting a group of ogres, both Vehmyr & I (he gestured over his shoulder towards the approaching gryphon), have keen eyesight and the sky provides a unique perspective, but if they utilize illusions I'll warn you now I'm rather susceptible.

I saw .. & smelt the burnt castle from the air, let me think back, wonder if anything stuck out....

Anyhow.... he looked back at Iktnek, then the cloaked figure. I didn't catch your name or trade... friend?

Show
    OOC
    Thinking back to the time in the air, is there anyplace that looked/looks suspicious from the air? They might disguise their camp, but travelling is harder to conceal with a decent number of troops.
    Rolls: (1d20+3)[17] Knowledge Geography
    Last edited by MCollarsen; 2022-05-10 at 09:34 AM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Haru's expression appeared to be of greater awe than before. Thank goodness that is pretty cool. I have absolutely no idea how you did it, but judging from your mention of weapons burning with heat while singing in addition to your musical ability, bard seems likely.

When the question of his own ability came up, he frowned. I can do several things with varying degrees of strength. The problem is this isn't the best place to showcase them... Oh, I got an idea might want to stand back a bit. He suddenly removes his cloak before dissipating into a pillar of flame.

A few seconds later, the pillar dissolves, leaving nothing and a few seconds after that, he taps the insectile creature on the back in his mostly human form. That's one of the many more unusual things I can do. Despite how I look I'm also adequate in melee combat without any of my tricks.

Turning to the knight, Haru appeared a bit confused. I thought I had heard something about it being bad form to ask for someone's name before giving their own. I don't mind either way. My name is Haru. Oh, also if they utilize illusions I have a trick to see through them. As he says this he observes the Gryphon. Cool creature by the way.

17. - Top - End - #17

After learning all he can without being obvious Ali tips the bartender 1 goldpeice and goes to see the mayor to get a measure on what type of person she is and is shocked to discover she's an honest politician. He leaves and thinks to himself Well I'll be damned she's honest. She actually looks like she's doing her job and looks exhausted. I guess if your ruler is blessed by the gods although I have no idea if that is true or not it incentivizes you to do the best the best you can. He heads towards the town square and leans against a nearby wall and evaluates everyone there with a neutral look on his face. He looks towards the elf and his growing crowd of adventures both new and experienced and mutters Smart but he's going to be a problem I can already tell. A gathering of people that big is going to be prone to infighting and wont be able to hide their coming and the orgres will be expecting a response. He looks towards the smaller group and sees a Gryphon and what looks to be their rider, the gnome from earlier and a ...Insect creature???Well they look dangerous. That gryphon alone but what in the hells is that?

Show

[roll0] Knowledge nature on insect

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

18. - Top - End - #18

Show

(1d20+3)[7] Knowledge nature on insect

Round two messed up on roller

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

after getting as much information as she can from the mayor, Tina returns to the tavern/inn to see who else worthy to take on the ogres has arrived, maybe together several could take on the ogres and retrieve the tribute.

looking to see if she notices

Iktnek
    Quentin
    Sebastian
    Haru
    Aerilyss

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

gather information (1d20+12)[30]
    perception (1d20+12)[30]
    I forgot things had been merged so this is the corrected totals
    gather information (1d20+13)[31]
    perception(listen/spot) (1d20+14)[32]
    Last edited by samduke; 2022-05-11 at 07:37 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Orc in the Playground

Aerilyss walking into town in a somewhat unassuming form of human woman, at least she thinks she is unassuming. Her skin is a pale blue and her eyes shine a bright purple color. All around her motes of color, a blessing from Amarilyss no doubt, dance around her path brightening and fading in random arrays of color. She watches the people around her carefully, but does not discern much about the people beyond their combat readiness and any displayed royal livery. When she lays eyes on the burnt out castle, she muses about rebuilding the castle and claiming it for herself. It is time she stepped out of her family's shadow and made a name for herself.

As she makes her way to the center of town, she decides to shed her skin as she finds a large enough space. Her legs disappear and grow into a large snake tail as her true Naga form unravels. Her clothes shift form as well despite no apparent change in the size of her very human torso. They display her noble family crest and appear overly formal for the occasion. She laughs quietly to herself, "So much for stepping out of my family's shadow." In turn each of her shining mithril blades extend outward until they are greater than 10 feet in length. She carefully reads the Queen's notice without any outward signs that she notices the other people in the square.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Orc in the Playground

Walking over to the smaller group from where she had been observing, Aralis nods to them. "Greetings. I am Aralis d'Enther. I was wondering if I might join you for a bit, perhaps discuss the reasons that I suspect we are all here?"

Glancing over at the larger "army" that is putting themselves together, she says, "If I am any judge, those people are going to get themselves killed. If armsmen of that caliber were likely to succeed, I would have brought my own guards or sent them myself." Pausing for effect, she adds, "Though the... rather loud half-elf is not incorrect in that an individual is unlikely to succeed on their own. At least not unless they are a significant power in their own right."

"A smaller, more tailored group seems more likely to succeed. And judging by the conversation I overheard, it seems likely that most here agree, do you not?"
    Last edited by Balthanon; 2022-05-11 at 12:47 PM.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dakrsidder View Post
    That's strange. Was there ever any mention of why the woodcutter thought they were a wizard outside of magic, what the wizard looked like, or if the woodcutter had an idea of what the effects of the magic were? You never know what might be useful and even if it's not, it's interesting to hear. Haru appears to be somewhat intrigued having heard something new curious to see if there's anything more to it.
    The man to whom you are speaking says "I only rmember it 'cause the woodcutter would say the wizard was shaking the hills around a bit. I forget if the fellow said anything else. Been a bit since I heard him talking about it."
    Quote Originally Posted by MCollarsen View Post
    Show
    OOC
    Thinking back to the time in the air, is there anyplace that looked/looks suspicious from the air? They might disguise their camp, but travelling is harder to conceal with a decent number of troops.
    You don't remember seeing any camps, especially one large enough to be an ogre raider camp.

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

gather information (1d20+13)[31]
    perception(listen/spot) (1d20+14)[32]
    As the others are rather obvious and not conceialing their presence it is easy to to see them.

After a bit of asking around Tina heard's several rumors but the ones that stick out the most are

1 there is a survivor from one of the Hellblade attacks in town. They float around between tavern and inns drinking away the memory of losing all their friends.

2. There is a dragon sleeping underneath one of the hills up north. If you listen quietly to the ground you can sometimes hear it.

Quote Originally Posted by Bphill561 View Post
    Her legs disappear and grow into a large snake tail as her true Naga form unravels. Her clothes shift form as well despite no apparent change in the size of her very human torso. They display her noble family crest and appear overly formal...
    Your change elicits several gasps from onlookers. Different creatures are more common now than before but you are much more than just different.
    Last edited by Dieuoffire; 2022-05-13 at 04:43 PM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Iktnek nods appreciately towards Sebastian.

I'll tell you my plan, but I think we should take care of these bunch of rookies first, eh? They could get in the way and if one of us becomes warchief it would be bad to have less people.

Iktnek folds herself up and Haru's little display greatly interests her but when he disappears behind her and touches her she quickly snaps towards his fingers with her mandibles but manages to avoid him narrowly.

She holds one claw up to hide her pincers. I'm… Oh I'm incredibly sorry I didn't… You startled me..." The confidence she had before dissipating, Iktnek grinds her mandibles together nervously. Clearly flustered she forgets her plan to dissuade the charismatic half-elf she get's back to another topic.

Right, the plan. We have to find the ogres first, probably before they get us. We then get at them, shooting at them a bit, better if only one of us does that. If they all go after us we get away, I guess we are still less than them. If they send in only a few it's exactly what we want, divide them before attacking them head on. Probably not the best plan, I'm not the warchief after all.

24. - Top - End - #24

Ali rasies an eyebrow upon seeing Aerilyss transformation That's a thing. I personally wouldn't have done it but more power to them. he gets off his wall Well I've seen enough. and walks towards Aerilyss and company to introduce himself. Greetings I happened to overhear your conversation from earlier and would like to join this party as that one he points towards the elf and company is going to get themselves killed or start fighting each other the moment something goes wrong. The names Ali as for why I should join you all he grins I can do a bit of everything plus his grin turns into a full on smile Who wouldn't want a dragon on their side as he says this he lets out a blast of purple plasma into the sky.
    Last edited by razorfloss; 2022-05-14 at 12:32 PM.

Currently Playing

Sorin Dalmark
    Jeqem Ashthorn

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Alhallor View Post
    Right, the plan. We have to find the ogres first, probably before they get us. We then get at them, shooting at them a bit, better if only one of us does that. If they all go after us we get away, I guess we are still less than them. If they send in only a few it's exactly what we want, divide them before attacking them head on. Probably not the best plan, I'm not the warchief after all.
    "I... suspect we might be able to improve upon that a bit before we go head to head with these ogres. Perhaps some information gathering to start, ensuring we have a good grasp of what we're facing should be the first step-- I may be able to provide some that I've gathered prior to coming here and I suspect others here have done their own digging as well." Glancing around at those who have stepped up to the party and then over to the rabble rouser to weigh how deeply he has the others in thrall, she asks, "Shall we retire to an inn to discuss the matter further? I suspect he will be speaking awhile longer and I for one would prefer privacy and less standing about in the heat of the sun."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

PirateWench

Spotting the group of well armed and experienced individuals that had gathered in one spot within the tavern/inn Tina walks over, Greetings my fellow adventurers my name is Tina, some of what you talk about has reached my ears. I too am looking to rid this area of the brutal ogres. It appears that you could use my skills as well as my sword, and it is in the common good of the people.
    (relating what she learned from the Mayor to the group)

27. - Top - End - #27

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by samduke View Post
    Spotting the group of well armed and experienced individuals that had gathered in one spot within the tavern/inn Tina walks over, Greetings my fellow adventurers my name is Tina, some of what you talk about has reached my ears. I too am looking to rid this area of the brutal ogres. It appears that you could use my skills as well as my sword, and it is in the common good of the people.
    (relating what she learned from the Mayor to the group)
    "100 swords didn't seem to make much difference the last time. What makes your skills more useful in this group than with those going out to get themselves killed en masse?" Quentin gestured at the crowd around the shouting half-elf, particularly gesturing at some of the young men with rusty swords and cheap armor. "On that note, we should probably be aware of when that group goes out, perhaps attacking on two fronts will make a difference."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The rabble rouser a crossed the square is calling for the group to prepare to go out the next day. As you look over the oversized adventuring group you notice that there are a few individuals who might be worth paying attention to. For example:

The speaker bears exceptional and most certainly magical blade.
    A woman just a little to his right bears a Scarlet cloth around her neck that is woven and embroidered with arcane symbols. Her head and face are completely covered with some kind of chainmail headdress.
    A drow man who stands back in the shadows just behind the speaker is far a part of the group but is at the same time somewhat aloof, but both his stance and his demeanor radiate a dangerous feel.

The speaker is wrapping up his calls and announcing that he will be staying at the lucky cast tonight.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Having seen all that you care to in the town square and having decided that another location is better for more privacy you all set out to a nearby inn.

The inn is called the crystal water Inn. Named for a small stream nearby, the inn is not too flashy buy serves a qualify product. The talks with the innkeeper are quick and easy. And soon you find yourselves seated in a long dinning room with food set out. Fish, bread a selection of greens with various sauces for the different dishes served. The drink selection is solid but not extreme; it seems the innkeeper thinks that this get together is better with drinks to compliment taste not cloud heads.

At last you find yourselves alone and able to discuss further details and plans.

30. - Top - End - #30

"No worries, it's quite normal to be startled by something so sudden. As for the rookies, as long as they focus most of their energy on combating the ogres, I don't think it's necessary to deal with them. So far there hasn't been any signs of aggression, so it'd be best to just keep an eye out."

Having moved to an inn, Haru is distracted by the food. Having never tried the vast majority of the items present, he sampled combinations out of curiosity. While he did see merit to it, he preferred the food he normally had. Having been satisfied, he turned his attention back to the discussion.

"Anyways, I agree with the idea of gathering more information before anything. As for the plan, I think that can wait until there's more information. For example, traps and positions could be formed to damage their numbers before either committing or dissipating and regrouping. Another example would be a targeted assault meant to hurt their core. At the end of the day, information is required to create the most effective plan as it all depends on what we know and have at the time."