New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

The condition of the road begins to improve as you approach Candlekeep, you can see teams of workers maintaining the Lion's Way. The weather has begun to clear a little with warm rays drying the damp soil of the roadway. The working teams and their guards seems to indicate that the roads in these parts are significantly safer than other areas.

Spoiler: Lady Runa
    Show
    You notice that every time you speak, the dwarf seems to change his focus from the road to you.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos laughted: "It certainly would help if we could vanquish a fiend or two while we are at it - that usually does the trick if you have trouble in the order."
    He sighed and added: "Thanks, I appreciate your help."

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Kynos laughted: "It certainly would help if we could vanquish a fiend or two while we are at it - that usually does the trick if you have trouble in the order."
    He sighed and added: "Thanks, I appreciate your help."
    Patricia has been eavesdropping a bit but hopefully nobody has minded. She observes, "You don't strike me as much of a vanquisher, Lady Runa, except perhaps on stage. If we meet a foul demon, let us be decided to challenge it to a lute battle. I'm sure that'd be a first for Sir Kynos' order, as well, and would make for quite the tale!"

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Runa gives a laugh at Patricia's words and replies, "We could always give that a try I suppose! But yes, at best I would be a supporting role in any fights." She then remembers the last monsters she faced and has to turn away from the others to avoid showing them a grimace and take a moment to fight back the forming of tears.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

"Well, there are tales about a fiddle contest with a devil. But I'm not sure if that wasn't an allegory for something. I'm quite certain though that the one tale about the flute contest is..." Kynos replied, the top of his ears turning a bit red at his last words when he remembered in whose company he was.
    "But I don't think we have to worry about that now. Too much traffic along this part of the road. Bandits and monsters don't like too much attention."
    Kynos tried to reassure Runa, who for some reason seemed to be a bit distressed now.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa is so caught off-guard by the ribald remark she winds up choking on her own sudden snort of laughter for a moment. After clearing her throat she turns back to face Kynos with a quite amuses smile and replies, "I am familiar with songs of both those tales." and tries very hard to keep a straight face for whatever his reaction winds up being. After a moment, just to make it worse for him she adds, "I could play them for us all if you like."

7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground

Grinning broadly, Eleazar pipes up, "I'd quite enjoy that, milday Runa. Seems parts of my education at Silverymoon have been sorely neglected, a matter I should fix with all due haste. Er, if such songs aren't displeasing to our host, of course," he adds with a glance at the driver.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

8. - Top - End - #68
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The elderly dwarf has obviously been following the conversation and responds, again in halting, broken common, "I would not mind a song from the lady."

9. - Top - End - #69
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos' ears turned a deep shade of crimson. "Ah yes, it is a rather funny song." Kynos turned his face back towards the road until he felt that he had his features back under control.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Does anyone else play a stringed instrument perhaps? Both of these are meant to be played as duets, though I can still perform a solo version." Runa asks, just deciding to go with this since everyone was so interested.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "Does anyone else play a stringed instrument perhaps? Both of these are meant to be played as duets, though I can still perform a solo version." Runa asks, just deciding to go with this since everyone was so interested.
    Patricia answers, "Well, not really. My parents always said I should study music, but I never put my mind to it. I can make sounds magically, of course, but that doesn't take much skill. Hmm, but maybe I have just the thing..." She proceeds to root around in her pack briefly and pulls out a little mechanical canary in a cage. It's about 3" tall and looks old, though the brass of the cage has been lovingly polished. Patricia encourages it to whistle along to Lady Runa's tune, by herself kinda humming and waving her hand as if conducting, and the bird trills little embellishing chords at the end of each line of the song.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm afraid, the only thing I can play are cards..." Kynos replied, having won back some of his composure.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

In truth she hadn't expected any of the others to happen to play an instrument, but you never knew. And she'd been giving Kynos the opportunity to raise an objection. She mentally shrugs and then begins getting to it.

The song she plays is fast paced and while not explicit is extremely suggestive. She herself has always found this one pretty amusing, as its such a departure from the higher class of thing she's been expected to perform most of her life. (Which isn't to say she doesn't learn songs that don't fit into that mold, just that she's had little opportunity for an audience for them.)

Spoiler
    Show

I'm not going to write out a song and lyrics or go searching for something that fits. I'll just say it has the same sort of general energy to it as this:

14. - Top - End - #74
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The sounds of the ribald songs fill the cool air as your cart makes slow progress towards Candlekeep. The road has become slightly busier as you near your destination, and the songs catch the attention of those you pass. As evening falls, your dwarven companion again pulls off the main road to find a campsite for the night. He finds a spot near a small, but quick moving spring in the grassy hills. The sounds of the babbling brook provide peaceful background sounds as camp is established.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Troll in the Playground

This close to their destination, Kynos refrained from going hunting. Instead he pulled out a deck of cards and asked: "Someone up for a friendly game?"

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

"Oh, my dear Sir Kynos, most people know better than to engage in games of chance against a wizard," Patricia says, not unkindly. She shrugs as if resigned to not taking part.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa raises an eyebrow at Patricia and thinks, "A wizard being weird for seemingly no reason. I shouldn't be surprised."
    Aloud she says, "I'd love to Kynos." in a very prime and proper but still warm tone.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos smiled: "Just a friendly game to pass a bit of time." Kynos dealt and explained: "These are fiend recognition cards. The Watchers give them out to their recruits to teach them about strengths and weaknesses of the creatures we face. Basically, you call out your creature and which of its stats you are offering. You have to beat that statt with a card of yours. If you manage, you get the card, otherwise you lose it. You win when you have all the cards on your hand - or we could just play poker with the markings up in the corner."

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As with the two previous evenings, the night passes uneventfully. You awaken on a thankfully clear, but still cool day. The elderly dwarf has woken early and has prepared a breakfast of summer sausages and some kind of biscuit that tastes of licorice. After breakfast, he with your help, takes down the camp and sets off for again for Candlekeep. After just an hour, he takes a right off the main road heading south, and joins a smaller road heading west. "Will be just another hour or two til we arrive." The dwarf says in increasingly confident common.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Troll in the Playground

"Good. No offence, but I'll be more than happy to get off the road and sleep in a real bed again. I'm still not used to living rough like this." Kynos replied, likewise cheered up by the prospect of reaching civilisation again.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"It does leave one more sore than I had expected." Runa adds to Kynos' comment with a nod of agreement.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

"All the same, I'll take this soreness --" Eleazar rubs a shoulder kinked from sleeping on lumpy ground last night. "Over the soreness of riding a horse and arriving faster. The one time I've ridden far at all, I felt battered for nigh a week. I don't know how cavalry handle it." The half-elf's expression is full of remembered pain for a moment before he laughs at himself. "Heh, of course, I'm sure they'd say the same about my work."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

23. - Top - End - #83
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The final few miles of your journey pass quickly. The road to Candlekeep is much more barren than the Lion's Way. The ground is mostly rocky, with no outcropping of tress, and the ground becomes ever sandier as you approach the Sea of Swords. Very shortly your destination becomes visible in the distance. Striking a very eye-catching silhouette, Candlekeep is visible for many miles before you arrive. The road makes its way over pale straw like grasses, and the sounds of the ocean can once again be heard crashing in the distance.

Significantly more travelers can be seen now. There are numerous groups camped out along the entry road, and while most give you no notice, a few eye the suspiciously guarded crate in the dwarf's cart. As you get even closer, the gates resolve into focus. An outer wall of weathered tan stone, adorned with towers, circles an even larger collection of towers, which soar almost to the heavens, at the cliffs edge. The road ends at a double doored gate of dark wood and black metal. Both doors are emblazoned with a golden sigil, and one stands open enough to allow a cart to pass. Outside of the gate a line forms with several carts and groups of travelers. Two figures in purple robes bearing the same sigil stand before the doors.

Your driver pulls over a hundred feet or so from the end of the line, "Well, we are here, do you need help unloading?"

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos took in the sight with wonder. Absently he said to their driver: "What? Oh, no thank you, not much to carry. Do you need help with your cargo?."

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Thank you sir, but I and my friends can handle what little luggage I brought with me on this journey." Runa says as the raccoons, crows, and Melody get to work carrying the chest containing most of her belongings and she herself wears the purse containing the rest.

"I am still quite curious what you might have in there." she adds.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-04-19 at 12:05 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    "I am still quite curious what you might have in there." she adds.
    Patricia travels light - she slings up her pack, leans on her staff for a moment, then says, "Thanks for the ride."

She listens with interest as Lady Runa asks about the crate, and adds, "At least give us your name that we might know who did us this favor. Or perhaps the one answer would give away the other?"
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-04-19 at 12:46 PM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The elderly dwarf dismounts from his cart, and approaches the rear of the vehicle. His movements slow, as he begins to slowly remove the numerous straps holding the strange crate. "My name is Yutud Gravelfall, Chief Metalurgist of the Dwarven city of New Shanatar." Yutud says proudly, but still struggling to find the words in common. "Our mission and honor was to provide aid to the dwarves re-founding Gauntlgrym. But... while we were there..." And his hands begin to tremble as the last of the straps falls away.

A chest made of bright cherry wood with gold trimmings is revealed. Yutud reaches into the unlocked chest, and removes a gleaming silvery metal urn. Painted on one side is the relief of a lovely elderly dwarf who wears a necklace of numerous gems which have been inlayed into the urn itself. "My dearest Gamithra, whom I have loved for nearly three hundred years," he says with a sad glance to Lady Runa, "fell ill and passed away. She was my everything, the song which gave light to my life. She would have liked to hear you sing my Lady."

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

"My sincere condolences. I hope she found rest among your ancestors." Kynos said quietly
    "Our paths may be parting for now, but I hope we meet again."

That said, Kynos waved goodbye and waited for his companions to accompany him to the entrance of Candlekeep.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa can't help but tear up a bit at that, but quickly wipes the tears away from her eyes. She wants to let him know she feels a similar pain, but she can't in this moment bring herself to put it into words. So instead she just gives the dwarf a big hug.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

To your surprise Lady Runa, Yutud returns your hug. He returns the urn to its crate and secures it again for travel. After allowing you time to retrieve your equipment and goods, Yutud bids a final farewell. "I wish you well on your travels. If I pass by Fenrair's Rest again I will inquire of you." He gives one final nod and him and his battered horse and cart begin the path back to the main road.

Turning around you see that the line outside of the gates has died down in the last few minutes. Currently the two hooded figures stand guarding the open gate.