New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 23 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Kynos smiled and waved to the dwarf before turning around, straightening himself and pulling out a rolled up scroll. With bold steps he led the group toward the guards:
    "Greetings. I am Kynos of Falkenstein, I am here in the service of the Order of the Watchers, delivering a message from Abbot Varis Xenoliphes to his Eminence Magister Mordhau." He pulled out a small booklet that clearly had been read by dozens of people. "As a token to your traditions, here is a copy of the holy tenets of the order. In addition, our group has been asked by the residents of Finn's Rest to also speak to a Magister Matreous, regarding the lifting of a curse that has befallen said village. So we ask permission to enter your learned halls."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-04-21 at 02:40 PM.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia waves fondly to the dwarf, wishing him well sincerely.

She turns and walks with the others to the gate. She watches with interest, her head at a slight tilt, to gauge the effect of Sir Kynos’ speech of introduction, before saying anything herself.

3. - Top - End - #93
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

At this closer range, the two hooded figures can be seen to be two men of strong build. Both sport shaved heads, and strong muscled arms can be seen with their short sleeved purple robes. The two men wear amulets which match the symbol on the doorway above their heads, and as Sir Kynos speaks they give their full attention to him and your party. Through Kynos' introduction you can see them eyeing the four of you trying to determine what kind of travelers you are, and if you will be trouble or not.

The monk on your right appears to be the senior of the two, and takes the tomb of holy tenants. "Entry gift, one standard issue copy of the Order of the Watcher's Tenants, I am sure we have numerous copies of this manuscript...", the gatekeeper says as he begins leafing through the well worn book. "Hmm, this copy seems particularly old, numerous notes scrawled in the margins in several hands, could be new information." The monk turns to face the open gateway and yells inside, "ACOLYTE! "

Almost immediately a small figure appears in purple robes which are far to big for them. With the shaved head, it is nearly impossible to identify the gender of this teenaged monk, and the high pitched voice is no clue either. "Sir?" "Run this tomb to the chief librarian, his apprentices should be able to verify if this is a worthy entrance gift." "Yes sir!" "And bring back a pitcher of ale, it has been a slow day," the second monk says after aiming a lazy kick at the young acolyte, missing wildly.

The elder monk gives the second an wry side eyed glance, but addresses Kynos, "It should only take a short time for this gift to be verified goodsir. If you are allowed entry Magister Mordhau is well known and his quarters are in the main tower near the top, anyone up there should be able to give you exact directions from there. I am unfamiliar with Magister Matreous." He addresses the other monk, "Vinpher, is that the magister who took your month's stipend at dice? Or is it the one you lost to for gate duty? Its so hard keeping track of the avowed who you have lost coin to lately"

"Oh very funny Erdar, very original. If these lot write that joke down they could enter now, and not wait for that acolyte to return. But no, I do not know any Matreous, you should ask at The Hearth, someone there will know how to reach them."

4. - Top - End - #94
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos frowned but didn't comment on the guard's verbal sparring. He had imagined that this place would be steeped in mysticism, rituals and formalities. But this was the old problem with assume making an...
    He stopped that train of thought and focused again on the guard: "We've had a straineous travel to get here. Is there an opportunity for us to sit down and have something to drink and eat while we wait? Not to mention a bath."

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Runa just softly chuckles at the banter. Meeting colorful characters was part of the fun of an adventure afterall.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Titan in the Playground

Grinning broadly, Eleazar asks, "And would you care for a game of dice while we wait, Vinpher? Sounds like you're just the sort of man I'd like to play against." Unlike Kynos, he's obviously comfortable with the lack of mysterious mysticism at the gate.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia asks the elder guard, "May we pass this gate without presenting our 'donations' just yet? I had hoped to present it to the Head Librarian more personally. Is this Hearth place where Matreous might be staying also a place we could find lodging tonight?"

She seems annoyed at the guard's banter, as if torn between wanting to keep things friendly but edging towards asking to see their manager.
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-04-22 at 08:55 PM.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The elder gatekeeper answers, "Sadly none may enter expect those who have made their donation. Once accepted you will become 'seekers' with access to most of the grounds, but until then you may not enter. And Vinpher knows better to gamble while on duty," he says more to Vinpher than Eleazar, but as he does Vinpher whispers, "I am off at fifth bell, I play a regular game at The Hearth," and gives you a wink.

"In any event," Erdar continues largely ignoring his young compatriot, "the chief librarian sees very few people personally. Their duties are numerous, and only the most senior avowed consult with them. You would be lucky to meet with their senior apprentices, and more likely an acolyte. Do you have any other questions, or do you mind waiting? We should have an answer within an hour, and there are others waiting for entry."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos shrugged resigned.
    "Very well, I'll wait over here then."
    Kynos went to the side of the entrance and found a stone to sit on.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Ah. It seems like it is time for me to play a song for us to pass the time with. Any requests?" Runa asks, looking around at the entire group including the two guards.

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

"I'm partial to the ballad Curse My Name." Kynos replied, with a smile.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

A short time after a second round of requests for Lady Runa, the young acolyte returns to the front gate. Looking out of breath, the urchin whispers something to Erdar, then returns inside the gates. Erdar gestures to your group and when you have gathered before him he says, "Your gift has been accepted and you are welcome to enter Candlekeep as seekers. If this is your first time visiting, it would be beneficial to acquaint yourself with the special laws and regulations our beloved repository of knowledge requires. In addition to the normal rules, you may not take any tombs or scrolls from these halls, or make copies of them. The house of binding can make copies for a fee if you require one. Also, violence of any kind is not tolerated. Finally, your visit is limited in duration to one tenday. If you require more time to do whatever research, another gift must be made. Now welcome seekers, I hope you find what you desire."

And with no further ado, Erdar steps aside and allows you entrance to Candlekeep. As you pass, Vinpher once again whispers to Eleazar, "I hope to see you tonight," and winks, giving his coin purse a little jingle. Once through the gates you see a very large courtyard ahead of you. The massive open area is enclosed by the same stone walls you just passed through. Directly ahead lies the great library, its massive spires reaching for the sky behind another gate, which stands open. To your immediate right as you enter is a smithy, followed by a stables, then a temple, and finally what appears to be an Inn. On your left, a row of circular buildings of unknown purpose hug he walls. Numerous people fill the streets, most are adorned with the same purple robes the gatekeepers wore, but you can find people of many forms of dress, from many areas, but most look wealthy, or at least, not poor. The nearly infinite wonders of the greatest library on Toril stands before you.

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

"I'd say Inn first, so we can freshen up. I'm not keen to bring my message to the magister reeking like two weeks of bad roads. While I deliver my message, maybe you can inquire after the other magister in the meantime."
    Kynos suggested as his eyes fell on the inn. More than anything, he wished for a bath right now.

14. - Top - End - #104
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia nods in agreement, adding, “We can ask at the inn whether Matreous was also staying there.”
    Last edited by Archemist; 2021-04-26 at 07:12 PM.

15. - Top - End - #105
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"I was thinking much the same." Runa replies, not clarifying whose statement she was agreeing with.

16. - Top - End - #106
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You make your way to the inn. The building appears to be largely unremarkable. The modestly sized tavern is of a sturdy design as were the other buildings you passed on your way here. A warm light filters through the two windows that flank the entry door, and a moderately raucous noise emanates from inside.

The sturdy, but worn wooded door opens easily and without sound to reveal a tavern which is startlingly large. Directly ahead is bar with finely polished wood which is almost maroon in color, and can seat twenty without elbows touching. Above the bar, suspended by the ten foot ceiling is a golden clockwork device two feet in diameter. From this entry point you can see three distinct lounge areas, and three hallways lined in doors which appear to lead deeper into the building. There are also doors to the far left and far right of the tavern.

Creatures of all kinds inhabit the bar. Humans, elves, dwarves, halflings and many other races can be see, most wearing the purple robes of the avowed. Spread throughout the different lounges are round tables with squat little stools, large rectangular tables with benches, and to the right of the bar, a large open firepit with numerous soft chairs and loveseats. Unlike most taverns you have been in, an inordinate amount of the patrons can be seen reading tombs, or searching though piles of parchment scattered on a table. Some seem engaged in conversation, and to return a sense of normalcy you observe a few games of chance being played.

There are several servers, and two young looking humans are working at the bar.

Spoiler: Kynos and Eleazar
    Show
    Your superior perceptive skills reveal that this building is significantly larger on the inside than the exterior of the building would suggest. Also, in the back left of the building are several very tall stacks of books, behind which you spot what appears to be an Ogre reading a book.

17. - Top - End - #107
    Troll in the Playground

Pushing carefully a tome aside, Kynos leaned on the bar to ask one of the bartenders for rooms, a bath and a meal, while wondering if he might have just stepped into an other dimension.

Once he received confirmation for his wishes, he made haste to get most of his belongings up to his room, so he can at least wash his face and hands.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

While Kynos talked to one of the bartenders about rooms and so on, Runa pointed at the clockwork device and asked the other, "Could you tell me what that is?"

19. - Top - End - #109
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The youngish human female working the bar answers Lady Runa, "First time to Candlekeep? That is the geometric amplifier, it provides extra space in the Hearth. What knowledge brings you to Candlekeep seeker? "

20. - Top - End - #110
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa blinks a few times and gives the bartender a look like "ah yes, just casually having magical artifacts of great power in your inn, no big deal." and replies, "We are looking for a wizard named Matreous to help with a cursed town. Or rather, that's the task we picked up on our way I suppose."

21. - Top - End - #111
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Hmm, Matreous... a lot of wizards here, but that name does ring a bell. I think he had a study room somewhere in the Pillars. You should ask there." The bartender replies.

Meanwhile Kynos was offered a choice in rooms. Private rooms are available, single rooms for 2 GP per night, or suites that sleep up to 6 for 10 GP per night. The avowed also offer free lodging to seekers in barracks style rooms which sleep up to 12. Food is included in both rates. Under House of Rest, as the sleeping quarters is called, are baths and soaking pools which are available to all seekers.

22. - Top - End - #112
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos knew he had enough for at least a few nights in a single room and with only three companions a suite wouldn't be any cheaper, so he booked that.
    "I'll freshen up at the baths - I'll be back here in an hour. Let's catch up then at dinner."
    Kynos told his companions before departing to get out of his armor after a week on the road - an experience that he didn't want to share with his companions just yet.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Kynos
    Show
    The private room you book is small, but nicely furnished. The bed is of very high quality, and the sheets feel almost silken. You leave your armor in the room and head to the baths. They are down a level below the ground floor, and consist of numerous soaking pools. There is a fairly strong odor of rotting eggs. The pools vary in heat from slightly chilled to almost nearly boiling. Numerous fragrant oils are available, and drinks can be ordered as well.

24. - Top - End - #114
    Troll in the Playground

Happy, Kynos went down to the bath - scrubbing himself first before going to soak in the hottest tub he could stand. When he could stand the heat anymore he got out, used the ice cold water to cool down, before putting on the clean clothes he'd saved. With a sigh he also put on his armor again as the tenet of vigilance required to be ever ready for trouble. At least it too had been scrubbed with sand and an oiled cloth.
    Feeling a lot more civilized again he went back to the common room with a few minutes to spare.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia also requests a private room, where she gets a chance to freshen up her makeup and such before the party heads over to the Pillars. She looks positively glowing upon returning, though she hasn't visited the baths just yet.

She opines to the others, "These rooms ARE mighty expensive, but for my research in the Library proper maybe they'll give us study rooms like Matreous had. I am eager to meet the librarian mages and see what they know, too. And perhaps they'd be interested in my upcoming trip."

26. - Top - End - #116
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Early evening falls on the monastery of Candlekeep. The partially sunny day has given way to a thick fog that blankets the Court of Air. The Hearth begins to fill as those who have spent the day working within the massive library seek their evening sustenance and amusement. Sections begin to fill with what seems like a systemic regularity. Groups wander into the tavern, make small talk near the bar then shuffle over to tables and couches. Extra wait staff seem to materialize from nowhere, ready for these newcomers.

The smells of stews and freshly baked bread begin to fill the room, as do the odd odors of pipe weeds and incense. Half the tables seem committed to revelry while the other seem staunchly opposed, feverishly devoted to whatever areas of study occupied them before this rush of new customers.

Spoiler: Everyone
    Show
    Kynos and Patricia are just returning from freshening up. It has been about two hours since you arrived at the inn. Can Lady Runa and Eleazar let me know what you were up to in that time? I will try to include this in my next post.

27. - Top - End - #117
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa spends the first hour chatting up some of the patrols that aren't nose deep in old tomes and scrolls, mostly just enjoying the variety of people and their stories.

When she realizes her other companions are going to still be a while, she inquires with the barkeep, "I am a little low on funds. Perchance would my services as a bard suffice?"

28. - Top - End - #118
    Troll in the Playground

After becoming clean again, Kynos looked forward to becoming satiated. He took the liberty of ordering some wine for himself and his companions.

29. - Top - End - #119
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar nods to Kynos and Patricia as they return to the commons looking refreshed. He seems to be doing some people-watching, passively listening to conversations nearby without attempting to insert himself or bend an ear in any given direction ... unless the name Matreous happens to come up, that is.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #120
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Eleazar and Lady Runa spend a couple hours in the Hearth, while their companions go off to refresh themselves. The bartender is willing to have Runa play for the patrons, but warns, "The daytime crowd is a bit studious, I would recommend some lighter atmospheric selections, if you know any. Perhaps as evening falls, the more lively group would appreciate some vigorous pieces." And shows Runa to a small chair in one corner of the tavern.

Eleazar spends the time listening in on nearby conversations. They mostly consist of goings on around Candlekeep, which Avowed are being considered for Master, or Great Readers. There is some talk about how the reconstruction of Elturel progresses in the wake of its near destruction.

Eventually, the party comes back together as the evening crowd arrives. A fine light red wine is served just as Lady Runa finishes playing, and tables begin to fill around the one you have claimed.

Spoiler: Lady Runa
    Show
    While you play, you notice a large creature peek its head around an almost fort of books in the back of the tavern. You swear that it is an Ogre, or at least as big as one, but it slips back behind the tomes before you can be sure. Also, if you make a performance roll, either here or OOC we can determine how much you earned in the couple hours you played.

Spoiler: Eleazar
    Show
    Of particular interest is a hushed, but animated discussion of the something called the Endless Chant. The two are arguing about if the "holy city once destroyed, shall unleash the beasts long annoyed" line refers to the recent events in Elturel. One of the speakers is adamant that since Elturel was not completely destroyed, it cannot be the holy city in the prophecy, the other seems to believe that the destruction was complete enough, and someone should be checking on plans being made by demons, devils, were-creatures or the like.
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-03 at 02:19 AM.