Titan in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Runa plays as the barkeep suggested, as she didn't mind saving her voice a bit anyway. So she plays some melodies on her flute earlier then later switches to the lute and singing. She attempts to wave at the Ogre(!?) to get it come out of its book fort.

Spoiler
    Show

Performance: (1d20+6)[20]

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos clapped in time to the fiddle play and even took part in the chorus when other patrons also fell in.
    Otherwise, he enjoyed the moment and the amenities of civilization.
    Kynos looked in the direction that Runa was winking and remembered the half glimpsed ogre, wondering if the reading ogre would come out and take part in the festivities here.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia comes in right near the end of the music but applauds heartily. "Brava!"

She says to the small group once Lady Runa has come to sit with them again, "It's tempting to split up to ask around about this Matreous fellow but I think we should stick together for the moment. We're all new here and we wouldn't want to run into the wrong sort of people. Well, before 5th bell, anyhow." She gives a glance and wink at Eleazar.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As the wine Kynos ordered is delivered to the table, the waiter says "This round is on the gentleman by the firepit, in the green cloak, and many more have offered to buy drinks for the 'fetching minstrel'." she says with a smile to Runa. A short time later you hear the bells begin to ring in the great towers at the center of Candlekeep. Minutes after, a fresh wave of Avowed enter the Hearth, you realize that the purple cloaks were in a slim minority before the bells rang, but their numbers have swelled greatly, taking up almost every seat in the tavern.

One figure stops by your table as they make their way into the room, removing his hood, you recognize Vinpher from the gates. "Greetings again fair travelers, if you were still interested in that game, we play in one of the private chambers down the hall," and he gestures towards one of the two hallways that lead to the back behind the bar. "Depending on how many rooms were needed tonight, we are usually the third door, it should be marked with a pair of dice. I should warn you, I am sure my luck streak is due for a change, no more guard duty with that strait-arrow Erdar." And almost as quick as he arrived, he darts off to the back hallway, only stopping to swipe and unattended drink from the edge of the bar.

Nightly festivities are in full swing now. Another bard has taken up the stage, drinks are flowing, and food pours out from the kitchens.

Spoiler: Runa
    Show
    After the initial sighting, the figure in the back does not reappear. But as you watch several other people visit behind the fortress of tomes. Some bring books, others return with them, some seem to be making exchanges, but none stay very long. During your performance, most people who tipped dropped in a silver or two, but a few were much more generous than that, enamored by both you and your playstyle. At the end of your playing session you collect 8 gp 25sp and 13 cp from your lute case.

Spoiler: Kynos
    Show
    You do not see the ogre emerge, but as you watch several other people visit behind the fortress of tomes. Some bring books, others return with them, some seem to be making exchanges, but none stay very long.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa accepts the first round of drinks, but with a nervous laugh she tells the barkeep, "I had best keep it to a minimum, I would not want it to effect my playing." Though in truth that wasn't really her biggest concern. The last thing she needed was a bottomless cup of spirits and she also just wasn't used to this much positive attention. The short time she spent with her new family didn't erase the lifetime with her old one afterall.

When she's finished playing, the raccoons collect the coins and after playing with them in their hands for a bit, put them away for her as she gives a smile and a bow to the room before she settles in on whatever is brought out for dinner. If there's an opportunity she introduces herself to the other bard.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos got curious. He stood up and went towards the hidden ogre in his book fortress.

"Good evening. What kind of service are you offering here?"

7. - Top - End - #127
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As you turn the corner of the wall of books that form a barricade in the back corner of the Hearth, you see a massive ogre seated on large soft looking pillows. The ogre is wearing a nicely tailored shirt, pants and a headband with diamond in it. He is surrounded by hundreds of books covering numerous subjects. He is reading a particularly large leather bound tome and picking at what appears to be a half roasted pig on a large platter nearby.

"Service? No service, just help and advice as I can manage. Do you come seeking knowledge?" The ogre says is an almost serene voice.
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-05 at 12:04 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Troll in the Playground

"In a way, yes. My friends and I are looking for a Mage called Matreous. Do you know where we could find him? A village suffers from some kind of curse and hopes that he can help them."
    Kynos answered courteously.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Matreous? Why yes, he was just here earlier this morning. I helped him find a book by none other than Mordenkainen, 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. I would guess he is studying it now. I have books on curses as well if you are interested." And the ogre begins digging into the piles of books that surround him.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    "Matreous? Why yes, he was just here earlier this morning. I helped him find a book by none other than Mordenkainen, 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. I would guess he is studying it now. I have books on curses as well if you are interested." And the ogre begins digging into the piles of books that surround him.
    Patricia has wandered closer, coming up behind Kynos, and peers at the books with interest. She will give them a once-over even if he does not, asking about any authors whose names sound interesting, and about the book Matreous took. “Do you have another copy?”

11. - Top - End - #131
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Patricia sees books covering numerous topics by just as many authors. Many first editions, and several very rare books are included in his collection. "Greetings to you too miss, but sadly no, that is the only copy in Candlekeep's library. Works by Mordenkainen are few and far between, beings prized possessions by powerful wizards. This copy was one such, donated along with her entire collection by one Fistandia."

12. - Top - End - #132
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you for your help. I'm afraid my learned friend here would be much better equipped to make use of a book on curses. I am but a humble servant of the light. Still, it is good to know that he is here somewhere. Do you know where his quarters are? Or failing that, who has the knowledge about the accomodations of the residents here?

Oh, but where are my manners: This is Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn and I am Kynos of Falkenstein, pleased to make your acquaintance."

Kynos introduced Patricia and himself.

13. - Top - End - #133
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"I am pleased to meet you, I am known as Little One. I would ask in the Pillars for Matreous, most seekers have study rooms there. There is generally someone in the entrance who can point you in the right direction."

14. - Top - End - #134
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, I'll do just that." Kynos replied with a slight bow.
    Taking back the news to the others, he sat back down to enjoy the rest of the wine.
    "Let's see if we can get that square away before we go to bed. This mage should be in his room at nightfall."

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    One figure stops by your table as they make their way into the room, removing his hood, you recognize Vinpher from the gates. "Greetings again fair travelers, if you were still interested in that game, we play in one of the private chambers down the hall," and he gestures towards one of the two hallways that lead to the back behind the bar. "Depending on how many rooms were needed tonight, we are usually the third door, it should be marked with a pair of dice. I should warn you, I am sure my luck streak is due for a change, no more guard duty with that strait-arrow Erdar."
    Eleazar smiles, amused at Vinpher's eagerness, but has to demur. "I'm afraid I don't have enough to lose just yet. We'll see if I can't find some odd jobs to build up a nice stake for you to snatch away."

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    Taking back the news to the others, Kynos sat back down to enjoy the rest of the wine.
    "Let's see if we can get that square away before we go to bed. This mage should be in his room at nightfall."
    "With luck, someone to guide us will also be available. From a glance at the outside of the Pillars, I don't relish the thought of trying to find my way among them unaided!" Eleazar looks wry. "Again, what I'd give for a good map ..."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

16. - Top - End - #136
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You step out of the lively Hearth tavern, and into the cool, crisp, salt tinged air of Candlekeep's Court of Air. Although not fully night, the sun has dropped below the monastery's walls casting everything into shadow. Teams of avowed, in their purple attire, ignite torches around the court to provide illumination. Although darkened you can see the many circular buildings of the Pillars of Pedagogy across the open aired plaza from your current location. They lay beyond a smaller inner wall into which a squat, rectangular building stands flanked by two torches which produce green flame.

As the party approaches this building, you glance up to the many towers of Candlekeep, each tower is lit with hundreds of smaller lights, torches, fires, and magical effects which produce the entire spectrum of colors. The effect is a mysterious, and extremely beautiful rainbow of light which is always be changing, as if alive, as lights are produced or extinguished as needed. The plaza you cross is also a bustle with activity as businesses hurry to finish daily tasks. Carts are making their last trips to and from destinations, and the well practiced rituals of hurrying late shoppers begins.

You make it to the entrance to the Pillars, the building is the same tan stone, but with windows of clear glass and wooden frames. The door is a single medium sized door, with brass fittings and a light oaken wood. The door is unlocked, and as you enter you find a dimly lit room flanked in bookcases, and in the center a large wooden desk. Seated at the desk is a wiry, exhausted looking female avowed. She is surrounded by tomes, and barely glances up as you enter. She grabs the larges tome on the desk, fingers through it and says, "If you are looking for a study hall, plenty are available in the history and language buildings. There are a couple available in geography, planar studies, and technology. Arcana and theology are full, but new rooms can be made in the morning. And in any event it is too late to assign guides, so I hope you brought your own research material with you."

17. - Top - End - #137
    Troll in the Playground

"Actually we aren't looking for research but for a researcher. Can you tell us in which room we might find Magister Matreous? We are tasked to bring him a message."
    Kynos responded amiably.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Matreous, Matreous...", the desk worker mumbled to herself as she flipped through the large pages of the tome on her desk. "Ahh here it is, Arcane building, floor three, room 2. Head through the door behind me, the Arcane Building is the largest one directly almost directly the courtyard." She closes the book, and looks up slightly annoyed. "Now, is there anything else I can do? Or can I get back to my studies?"

19. - Top - End - #139
    Troll in the Playground

"Thank you, that would be all." Kynos replied with a smile.
    Finally having a concrete destination, he nodded at his companions and set out to follow the directions.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

You make your way through the back door, and into a much smaller, but beautifully kept courtyard. Numerous flowers and shrubbery line cobble pathways between the numerous circular buildings of the Pillars. Almost straight ahead is the largest of them, with a large arcane symbol above its doorway. Following the clerc's instructions, you enter the unlocked door to find a narrow hallway leading to a spiral staircase. The walls are all made of stone, and it is eerily quiet.

Once you reach the staircase you see eight doorways in the walls of this circular room which reaches up at least four floors. Following the stairs up, you pass the second floor with only five such doorways, and finally, you arrive on the fourth floor with only three doorways, all clearly labeled with common numerals

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"I believe we've arrived." Runa comments and enters room II, then looks around for someone who might be the wizard Matreous.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The unlocked door opens to reveal a large single room. Bookshelves line the walls, but largely stand empty, only a few books and scrolls on their shelves. The wooden bookshelves give way along the walls to three windows set into the stone walls on the exterior of the circular building. A dim light fills the room from the setting sun, illuminating the only other piece of furniture in the room, a large oaken desk. Two sturdy but unremarkable chairs sit next to the table, with a backpack sitting on the ground next to the chair closest to the door. On the desk sits a single item. A heavy looking tome made of ornately tooled leather decorated with gold filigree, the cover features an illustration of an imposing looking spellcaster.

No one occupies the room.
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-09 at 10:20 PM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Troll in the Playground

Curious, Kynos entered and looked around: "Magister Matreous? Hello? Are you there?"
    When no answer came, he went closer to the desk with the book "I suspect that is that Mordenkainen's Tome. I wonder why someone would leave such a valuable object just lying around."

Kynos looked for any notes that Matreous might have left around, also opening the book, looking for clues.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia also enters the room and gives it a once-over. She warns Kynos as he reaches to pick up the book: "Be careful with-" but barely gets any words out before he's cracked it open and begun reading.

She says, "Well, if this is the right place... perhaps he's hiding? Or wandered off?" She peeks under the desk and behind a few of the books (though obviously it'd be quite surprising if he were small enough to just be behind a book). She gives the backpack a heft experimentally, though she doesn't open it yet. "If we have a minute I could look for any magical traces, though I imagine almost everything around here has some aura or other."

25. - Top - End - #145
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Kynos
    Show
    You open the book. As you quickly scan it, you determine that the books is 'The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces'. The tome appears both old, and well read. It appears to describe numerous spells involved in making everything from bags of holding to entire pocket dimensions. There are also quite a few notes, written in a delicate script, in the margins. It appears to be some form of shorthand which will take some time to decipher.

Spoiler: Patricia
    Show
    The bag feels like it has several items in it, but is not stuffed full.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyrophilios View Post
    "I wonder why someone would leave such a valuable object just lying around."
    "Good question, Kynos. Maybe Matreous went to bathe or answer nature's call or somesuch, but if I'd had something that precious entrusted to me, I'd keep it locked up or with me at all times. Hm --" Eleazar looks to see whether the room even has a lock.

Current games list

27. - Top - End - #147
    Troll in the Playground

"The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces", Kynos red aloud. "Third option is that he tested out a new spell. I think I need one of you scholars to decipher those notes here. It's all Goblin to me."

Kynos left the book open and looked around for a restroom where to Matreous could conceavable have vanished.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

The room contains no other doorways, but the single entrance does have both a lock and a security bar. It is possible one of the many doors you passed is a restroom, or perhaps in another building entirely.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

"Decipher illegible script? Hah, you've chosen just the right under-librarian to travel with, m'friend!" Eleazar zips over to the open book to see what Kynos was referring to.

Current games list

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"I suppose I shall poke around while you do that then?" Runa suggests. If there are no objections she goes to check out the other rooms in search of their missing wizard.

Spoiler
    Show

"It's all Goblin to me." cracked me up.