1. - Top - End - #151
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: IC - [D&D 5E] Candlekeep Mysteries

Besmara the Sea Witch
    AC: 15 | HP: 12 | CURRENT: 12 | HIT DIE: 1d10 | CURRENT: 1d10
    PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14| PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    Active Effects: None.
    Conditions: None.

As the group began to investigate the Magister's study, a handsome woman of average height rounded the corner. She wore a heavy brocade & leather jacket, over her blouse and bodice. A broad brimmed tricorn hat sat atop, patterned kercheif and auburn curls, she scanned the room, placing a stack of books and journals on the desk as her hand, cautiously, moved towards her hip. "Ahoy me buckos!" She called by way of greeting, "Have ye come to the Magister's study ta pilfer and claim yer prize? If'n so, you've botched yer job and not placed a man on the door, ya saavy?"
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-05-12 at 07:20 AM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos looked up with a both curiosity and a frown:
    "Pardon? I don't think I caught all that. But if you are implying that we are thieves I can lay your fears to rest. I'm Kynos of Falkenstein, Member of the Order of the Watchers. My companions and I are looking for Magister Matreous. The fact that he left some very valuable possessions ungarded has raised som questions among us.
    May I ask you your esteemed name and your function in this establishment?"

3. - Top - End - #153
    Titan in the Playground

Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir
    Half-Orc Bard
    AC: 15 HP: 10/10
    PP: 11 PIv: 10 PIs: 13
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Without meaning to, Runa responds, "Oh! A lady pirate! Like the ones from the bawdy ballads!" She clearly didn't absorb anything Besmara actually said and is expecting to see behavior and hear lines you'd expect from a trashy romance novel or the like. Which she is apparently quite thrilled to be seeing come to life.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch

Besmara shrugged, before taking off her hat and making a sweeping bow, speaking first to Kynos, "Mister Falkenstein, I meant no disrespect," a half crooked smile, "ya see, when the gods see to give you a hammer, all yer problems tend to look like nails, yea? So I see three strangers pokin' around the Magister's study, 'n I say to my self, 'Self, why would these fine folk be nosin' about the study?' And me self would answer, 'Why the same reason you would Besmara, to steal sumthin' o' value.' So allow me to introduce myself, I am Besmara, guest of the Keep, and collector of appelations, the least offensive of which, would be the Sea Witch."

She turned, placing her hat back atop her head, and turned to face the green skinned beauty, "'n who might you e, my lovely? For 'tis true, I c'n walk the walk, and talk the talk o' the seas, havin' served on 'em for longer than I been ashore. And if it be bawdy tales you want, there's a cost, ya? Drinks and a twirl, been ta long since last these legs had cause to dance." She looked from the stacks of books she had placed down, to the room vacant Matreous, whom she had been expecting.

"I'd had cause to go over some notes with the Magister this aft, he had a love of alchemy and artifice, two things I am well acquainted with, ya?" As she spoke, she swept her coat back to reveal a device of brass, steel and dark mahogany wood. It bent forward as grip and stock of a crossbow, yet more elegant, with delicate filagree along the plates where a strangely angled hammer rested over a striking plate. The device was held in a leather holster, itself tooled and carved with loving care.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    "ya see, when the gods see to give you a hammer, all yer problems tend to look like nails, yea? So I see three strangers pokin' around the Magister's study, 'n I say to my self, 'Self, why would these fine folk be nosin' about the study?' And me self would answer, 'Why the same reason you would Besmara, to steal sumthin' o' value.' So allow me to introduce myself, I am Besmara, guest of the Keep, and collector of appelations, the least offensive of which, would be the Sea Witch."

"I'd had cause to go over some notes with the Magister this aft, he had a love of alchemy and artifice, two things I am well acquainted with, ya?"
    "Indeed, alchemy and artifice, two of my favorites. I myself am a Grand Wizard but I do not recognize your little device there. What does it do?

And I've been looking for a good captain for my latest voyage, if you would be so inclined. Off to the newly-reappeared isle of Maztica! Do you have a ship you use for your pirating?"
    The blue dragonborn is stately but also excited to meet a new face, especially someone who will make her look so reputable by comparison.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Troll in the Playground

"So, what you are trying to say is that he should be here at this time and hour? Worrying indeed." Kynos wasn't sure what to think about self professed piracy. After all piracy was a hanging crime. For the moment he was prepared to accept this as a joke and continue with the problem at hand.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Troll in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch

Besmara nodded at the magnificent looking blue-scaled dragonborn, patting her hip. "This lil beaut will blow a ball o' iron through a man's chest at ten paces. Ya see, the hammer strikes the pan, which lights tha' fuse and sets a wad o' smokepowder alight. The explosion pushes the shot through the barrel, and where it comes out with all tha' force ta' punch through a proper forged breastplate." She smiled, obviously enjoying explaining the technology, however, she moved her hand allowing her long, thick, coat to conceal the weapon again, "As fer a ship? Well, seein' as the vessel I sailed as a girl was sank by the Fists in tha' Gray Harbour, they named me 'captive' cuz my Captain, she was not willin' ta see me hang. So I served with the Fist for a year ta' commute mah sentence, served aboard their ship as swabbie, rigger, and navigator. Sadly, they d'na see fit to gift me a ship o' my own when I left. So if'n you truly wish ta see this island of yours, we'll have to procure one, nay?"

Looking back to Kynos, and reminded of the larger problem at hand, she nodded towards the backpack, "If'n a man packs a ruck for a trip to his own study, then he be expectin' ta take a journey, ya?" And with that she moved towards the backpack to inspect it's contents.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As Eleazar combs over the tome trying to decipher the script in the margins, Besmara tears into the backpack and Lady Runa returns to the hallway searching for clues in the hallway.

Everyone can see Besmara upend the bag onto the floor, numerous scrolls, quills, ink bottles and random personal effects go scattering across the floor. As you scan the documents, they all seem to be half finished papers, or notes on a few topics, but all seem to have the same theme of curses and how to break them. One page in particular seems to be a wish list/study guide noting books which might be available in Candlekeep, none of which is "The Joy of Extradimensional Spaces".

Lady Runa returns to the central stairwell, and knocks on the other doors. From room 1, no response comes, but as she turns to room 3, she can already see a figure poking its head out the doorway. "Keep it down! Some of us are doing research!" the wizened old lady says in a hushed command. "Why are you bothering private study rooms?"

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"My apologies." Runa says only somewhat apologetically, "We had been told we could find the wizard Matreous in that room back there." Runa points at the room, "But instead all we found were his belongings and a book he'd been researching. We thought perhaps he might have gone to another room for some reason." at this Runa shrugs to convey "Because we didn't have any better ideas."

10. - Top - End - #160
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

"Oh, that cute, young man across the hall? I heard him come back from dinner about an hour ago. I did not hear anyone leave. Not that I am keeping tabs on him," she says a bit defensively.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos who had followed Runa outside to let the mages do their work frowned at those words: "Hm, this sounds more and more like Matreous didn't actually leave the building through a conventional door. I bet the book has something to do with it."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar, thoroughly nonplussed by Besmara's self-introduction, tries half-heartedly to concentrate on the task at hand. He pauses and frowns when Kynos suggests that the book may have had an active role in the magician's disappearance. He closes it around one finger, turns it over, examines the edges, thumps the binding a couple times, frowns again ... then shrugs and returns to the marginalia.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Patricia, who has been watching all the running around but not really partaking in it herself, frowns slightly. She seems half ready to take the book from Eleazar but decides to let him read. "'The Joy Of Extradimensional Spaces' certainly sounds like a title that would lead elsewhere. Matreous may have lost himself in a book quite literally. I think I was right to urge caution with the book... just don't read anything aloud, eh, Eleazar?"

To Besmara, she adds, "Condolences on the loss of your ship. You certainly look the part of captain, I have no idea why they'd have passed you over."

14. - Top - End - #164
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa coming back to the others to more easily converse, responds, "This may be a bit of a wild idea, but you don't think that might be him there on the cover do you?"

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Spoiler: Eleazar
    Show
    Despite all the noise and interruptions around you, you discover that the script in the margins is rather easy to decipher. Whoever wrote in the book used a shorthand fairly similar to one you learned in Silverymoon, but with a few modifications. Most of the notes in the margins mention ideas to improve, or list limitations of the spells described in the book, but one section seems to be of significantly denser notation. The pages dealing with Mordenkainen’s Magnicent Mansion. The script notes changes made to create a permenant mansion, and a command word to open a portal there, "scepter".

16. - Top - End - #166
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos waited patiently. He knew from experience that scholars seldomly found it helpful if you asked them if they had found something yet.
    So he stood silently and watched - especially the self proclaimed pirate.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Titan in the Playground

Eleazar slowly places the open book back on the table. He announces, "One note describes a keyword for revealing an extradimensional space someone else has already created. Let's try speaking that keyword -- in a few languages, if necessary -- once you're all ready. It might do nothing at all, but it might also show us where Matreous is."
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

18. - Top - End - #168
    Troll in the Playground

Kynos quirked an eyebrow, drew his sword and raised his shield. "I'm as ready as I can be."

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Eleazar slowly places the open book back on the table. He announces, "One note describes a keyword for revealing an extradimensional space someone else has already created. Let's try speaking that keyword -- in a few languages, if necessary -- once you're all ready. It might do nothing at all, but it might also show us where Matreous is."
    Patricia nods, also ready. "Should we join hands, as in school?" If there is general assent, she places a soft hand on Kynos' shoulder so that he doesn't have to put away his weapon or shield.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Troll in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch

Besmara smirked, standing up as the half elven scholar shared the information regarding an extra-dimensional something or other. "What are we waitin' fer than lads? Ain't never been ta a realm o' magic, but if it can help a wizard, and put 'em in our debt. There are a great many things can be bought with a mage's favor, yea?" However, despite her bravado, Besmara was more than slightly nervous, and, if truth be told, excited. She had never stepped across dimensional boundaries, she'd heard them talked of in the most general of terms, but it felt kind of like stepping foot on a new ship, an experience she'd never had before, and the wave of anticipation, uncertainty, and apprehension washed over her as the adrenalin kicked in and she prepared herself for the unkown.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa just shrugs and links arms with Kynos and Besmara. "There, I'm evenly balanced and if something goes wrong, I can at least say a wizard did it." she thinks to herself.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-05-22 at 11:56 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

As the command word is spoken, you hear the sound of a brass door knocker hitting solid wood three times. Appearing about two feet in front of the desk are translucent wooden doors featuring door knockers. The doors are wrapped in an indigo fog. As you watch these ethereal doors, you can see fog dissipating, and the edges of the doors fading from view. You would guess the doors will be gone in a matter of minutes.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    As the command word is spoken, you hear the sound of a brass door knocker hitting solid wood three times. Appearing about two feet in front of the desk are translucent wooden doors featuring door knockers. The doors are wrapped in an indigo fog. As you watch these ethereal doors, you can see fog dissipating, and the edges of the doors fading from view. You would guess the doors will be gone in a matter of minutes.
    Patricia reaches out and knocks on one of the knockers three times, as if mimicking the noise. Then she adds, "Hello?"

Unless the response is overtly hostile (like a "go away!" or some trap) she'll go ahead and open the door slowly and step through.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Everyone sees Patricia reach out to knock on the door, the moment her hand comes into contact with where the door should be, she disappears without a sound.

Spoiler: Patricia
    Show
    I will describe what you see in a different spoiler if the party does not also attempt to knock or go though the doors as well. (giving them a round or two to react)
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-25 at 01:30 AM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Troll in the Playground

"Don't leave the manual behind!" Kynos stowed his sword so he could grab the book on the table.
    "It seems this door closes after some time. Maybe we should tell someone before we go through there - just in case."
    Kynos took a bit of parchment and wrote on it:

"There is a portal in reading room #(whatever this rooms number is). If you are reading this, we didn't make it back out again in time.
    Please call out the word (Whatever the keyword was) and do under no circumstances touch the appearing portal without giving this message to someone else and less curious."

He placed the message on the desk before turning to the portal: "Alright, let's see where this leads us, before touching the portal as well."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-05-25 at 12:24 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

Runa waits just a moment after Kynos touches the door to make sure he doesn't forget the book or it doesn't go with him. (In which case she'll just put it on the table under the note.) Then she touches the door herself. She tries to keep it off her face that she's having a lot of fun right now.
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2021-05-25 at 12:02 PM.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Troll in the Playground

Besmara the Sea Witch

Besmara watched as the individuals within the study summoned a set of enchanted doors, and the dragonborn calmly rapped on the entry, before crossing the boundary between this world and wherever those doors connected them to. It was brave, and more than a little foolhardy. In truth, Besmara was ashamed she hadn't been the first through the breech, but no sense crying over spilt wine, with a spring in her step, she hopped through the door as the green skinned beauty held it open, "Appreciate tha' thought luv," she snarked as she went through, her flintlock drawn, loaded and prepared to greet any guardians on the other side.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Patricia, followed shortly by the rest of the party, feels a strange tugging sensation as the world suddenly turns black. This feeling lasts only a moment, and when it passes you find yourselves in what appears to be a small foyer measuring ten feet by ten feet. The walls behind you are made of carefully mortared stone, and a double door of oak bound by iron. Hallways extend down to the left and the right with a stairway visible just at the beginning of the right hallway. The ceiling is fifteen feet above you, and oil lamps provide light to the interior, but the same indigo light can be seen seeping down the hallway.

Standing in this entry hall, a middle aged human figure in gray robes stares at you first with shock then relief. "Oh, thank Mystra! I thought I would be trapped here until I could figure out the command word to return to Candlekeep. Oh! Before I forget..." the figure says as he begins casting a spell towards the door behind you. "There, that should keep the doorway open! Greetings! My name is Matreous. Who are you my saviors? You don't look like avowed."

Spoiler: Map
    Show
    Last edited by munimortal; 2021-05-26 at 12:12 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by munimortal View Post
    Standing in this entry hall, a middle aged human figure in gray robes stares at you first with shock then relief. "Greetings! My name is Matreous. Who are you my saviors? You don't look like avowed."
    Patricia smiles warmly... which, as a dragonborn, may be somewhat intimidating. She says, "And I am Patricia Stratton, Grand Wizard of Amn!" She pauses dramatically, as if expecting some fanfare, and as she bows, there is indeed a little sound of glad trumpets. "Not avowed, no. Simply travelers. But we have been looking all over for you, Matreous. Curses abound out in the wide world which need your attention, and here you've gotten yourself stuck in a book. Tsk tsk. But do tell: have you been here long? And where ARE we?"

30. - Top - End - #180
    Titan in the Playground

Half-Orc Bard

"Lady Runa of House Ouss’viir, pleased to make your acquaintance." Runa replies and holds out her hand to be kissed or some such. She's a bit distracted as she's more focused on looking around.