New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: D&D Base Class Contest XV Chat Thread

This weekend is the last chance, new deadline is end of the day tomorrow (Sunday the 6th).
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    This weekend is the last chance, new deadline is end of the day tomorrow (Sunday the 6th).
    UTC I presume?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MrStabby View Post
    UTC I presume?
    On Monday I'll make a post officially calling a stop to it.

A little more technically, I'm living UTC-5 and in early contests I officially said the deadline was at midnight my own time zone, but the official end post is a little more convient for time zone differences because everyone can see it. If you're done by UTC you'll be beyond safe.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...5#post25078675

Day late but here is the voting thread! Next contest is Divine Judgment in three weeks if you wanted to start brainstorming for it.

Spoiler
    Show

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...5#post25078675

Day late but here is the voting thread! Next contest is Divine Judgment in three weeks if you wanted to start brainstorming for it.
    Oh cool. Is there a place where we can see these upcoming themes? Divine Judgement sounds pretty cool.

I think I might go for a Divine Agent class with subclasses of inquisitor, Ephor, witch Hunter and Excorcist.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh cool. Is there a place where we can see these upcoming themes? Divine Judgement sounds pretty cool.

I think I might go for a Divine Agent class with subclasses of inquisitor, Ephor, witch Hunter and Excorcist.
    Normally we vote on themes at the same time; last time around we had a tie between Partial Casters and Divine Judgment so we're doing one after the other.

The list as of last voting thread:

You can also suggest or vote on what you would like the next contest's theme to be. Currently in the suggestion box are Dragons, Heroes from Myths, Partial Casters, Divine Judgment, Other Media, and Breakfast Cereal Mascots, but don't feel as though you need to limit your suggestions to those themes; a larger pool means more options to vote on next time. I'm also going to allow votes for any theme that hasn't been used for at least six contests (so right now that adds Who Needs Swords or Sorcery, Terror, The Elements, Doesn't Meet Expectations, Chill Out, Remix Mastery, and Magic Without Slots). If you missed a contest or had another idea for a previous theme, you may get your chance again!
    Since we just did Partial Casters and are about to do Divine Judgment those are out, but after Divine Judgment enough contests will have passed to put Time and Previous Editions back in the mix (It's Time for Time and Blast from the Past) in addition to the other themes listed above. You can also suggest new ones if you see a topic missing. We've had a new theme go through all in one voting thread before when someone suggested it early on and other people agreed to it.

Spoiler
    Show

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Normally we vote on themes at the same time; last time around we had a tie between Partial Casters and Divine Judgment so we're doing one after the other.

The list as of last voting thread:

Since we just did Partial Casters and are about to do Divine Judgment those are out, but after Divine Judgment enough contests will have passed to put Time and Previous Editions back in the mix (It's Time for Time and Blast from the Past) in addition to the other themes listed above. You can also suggest new ones if you see a topic missing. We've had a new theme go through all in one voting thread before when someone suggested it early on and other people agreed to it.
    Ooh.

One thing I might throw in the ring, that I think could be interesting is a kind of fractal challenge: take a subclass, make it a class with its own subclasses. Maybe a bit prescriptive as you are chosing from a list. So you could work up a necromancer class or a hexblade class or an alchemist... each with their own subclasses.

Still, pretty excited by Divine Judgement.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Halfling in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

One thing I might throw in the ring, that I think could be interesting is a kind of fractal challenge: take a subclass, make it a class with its own subclasses. Maybe a bit prescriptive as you are chosing from a list. So you could work up a necromancer class or a hexblade class or an alchemist... each with their own subclasses.
    Oooh, that's a really good idea! I'd be down for doing that.
    Temporarily back from the void between realities.
    Don't ask how long I'll be here for, I have no idea.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I'll throw one into the ring too, which I think could really throw up some cool new concepts:
    Not in Kansas Anymore. You can't use the same core damage or spell progression as any of the core classes. That means no copying rogue, or standard martial progression, martial half casters, artificer, or full casters. Power spikes must still occur at 5th/11th/17th as normal. Beyond that, go absolutely mental, and create something as-yet unseen.

Edit: also, can't wait to have a crack at Divine Judgment.
    Last edited by luuma; 2021-06-21 at 09:40 AM.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Orc in the Playground

Guys, I made some slight changes to the Homebrewery version of the Spellblade (nothing fancy, I added a text box with a guideline in case the DM decides to make minor changes to certain spells to make them easier for the player to use, a note related to the multiclass, and a clarification on what happens if someone fail the Constitution saving throw and lose Concentration when using the Trance feature).

Anyway, keep considering the version on the forum for voting!

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Running late again but should be able to call voting and put the new contest up in a few hours. Sorry about that.

I've also added the new suggestions to the spoiler in the first post and given all the themes a little bit more detail there as well.

EDIT: I've had an ER visit today. I'm okay, or will be in a couple days at the worst. But my promised new contest thread will not be materializing tonight.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2021-06-29 at 09:40 PM.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Bugbear in the Playground

Running late again but should be able to call voting and put the new contest up in a few hours. Sorry about that.

I've also added the new suggestions to the spoiler in the first post and given all the themes a little bit more detail there as well.

EDIT: I've had an ER visit today. I'm okay, or will be in a couple days at the worst. But my promised new contest thread will not be materializing tonight.
    Hope you're all right.
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

13. - Top - End - #73

Daemon

A) thanks so much for doing this but
    B) you take care of you first!

Stay safe!

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Oh crap, sorry to hear that. Hope you are OK and make a speedy recovery.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay I'm back in action, so here's the votes tally and I'll make the new chat and contest thread for Divine Judgment shortly.

We had a tie by points for 3rd place; however as sengmeng did not cast a vote and MrStabby did, MrStabby wins via the first tiebreaker.

In 3rd place, earning 5 points, we have MrStabby's Manabound! Turn hit dice into spells! Turn spells into hit points! Be the magic you wish to see in the world.

In 2nd place, earning 8 points, we have MoleMage's Grenadier! Show the world that alchemy has a practical side with bombs and enhanced ammunition.

And in 1st place, earning 10 points total, we have Damon_Tor's Spellslinger. Magic Missile never felt quite so good.

Excellent work all around everyone! We had our next contest locked in already, but we'll need a new one in a couple months so get your voting caps ready. Divine Judgment coming soon.
    Votes are called and we have new threads!

Chat: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...VI-Chat-Thread

Entry: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ivine-Judgment

Spoiler
    Show

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

MindFlayer

Right... I need some help with a name.

So the next class is divine Judgement. I am thinking about "nice" gods - what happend if you are judged and found innocent? Judged and found worthy? Judged and found to be in need of a reward?

I am thinking one subclass can be about this positive side of "Judgement" but I need a name. At the moment thinking "Benefactor", but its kind of rubbish. Any help appreciated!

17. - Top - End - #77

Daemon

Right... I need some help with a name.

So the next class is divine Judgement. I am thinking about "nice" gods - what happend if you are judged and found innocent? Judged and found worthy? Judged and found to be in need of a reward?

I am thinking one subclass can be about this positive side of "Judgement" but I need a name. At the moment thinking "Benefactor", but its kind of rubbish. Any help appreciated!
    The_
    Innocent
    Exonerated
    Redeemed
    Boon Granted/Bearer/Carrier
    Divine Vessel (this actually makes me think the Class is focused on becoming the Avatar of a god. Use pact magic, add domains, then go divine warrior straight up...)
    Blessed
    Worthy
    Rewarded
    Proven
    Judged
    Saint (this might bring in a broader of theme of how by default there's an expectation mortals won't meet godly expectation necessitating Grace)
    Last edited by BerzerkerUnit; 2021-07-09 at 11:14 AM.