New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131429 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 50: Meeting nature halfway

Rivergreen

The jar is opened. The heart is stabbed. There's a tangible discharge of magical energy as it's destroyed. The old man's corpse, and the severed heart begin to wither and dry up, until they're leathery and mummified. Myriam seems to relax. "Phew. That fixed it, I think. It doesn't feel so awful anymore."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #92
    Ogre in the Playground

Fort Aegis Resort

Hiedie plops herself down next to Lucy and begins watching vigilantly for threats. She stares hard up at Ambrosia, gold scales glittering.
    Her silver brother presently curls up around Lucy's foot and chirps for food she clearly does not have.

Meanwhile the two babies by the perches being sharing the ill-gotten goods and will almost definitely get into a growling match over the portion of the three shares.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #93
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Plantation]

Far beyond civilized lands lies a seemingly inhospitable strip of land surrounded by rocky mountains which encircle an abandoned plantation. The plantation has become something of a landmark despite its geographic obscurity largely due to its reputation as some sort of haunted ground. It is said by those who speak of such things that the land was once owned by a wealthy eccentric of the traditional variety, and that unspeakable experiments were performed within the decaying walls of the dilapidated manorhouse which overlooks the croplands on all sides.

The estate itself appears as a sprawling warren of structures, utterly isolated due to its incredible distance from the nearest civilization. Ruined greenhouses dot the plantation's hills, as do now-defunct processing facilities. The infamous manor sits atop one of the higher hills, looming ominously over the rolling rows of cultivated bushes, shrubs, and grasses below, its georgian architecture contributing to an unsettling silhouette.

The swaying of unkempt crop in the evening wind likely catches Seraphina's trained eye.

There, in the distance, the manorhouse rises, a tomb to be plundered.
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2021-04-06 at 04:23 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94
    Bugbear in the Playground

[The Plantation]

Feeling she's overstayed her welcome at Skyside, Seraphina finally tries to find her way back to the beach. Having no idea where she is (she was trying to backtrack from Riverside and ended up on a smuggler's route between Skyside and Inside), she started going to a mountain to find where she was and where she needed to go.

That's how she spotted the plantation.

Feeling it's a decent place to stock up on supplies - and even if not, it's definitely interesting enough that just exploring it is reward enough - Seraphina pulls her cloak's hood closer around her, then descends the mountain to the estate. She doesn't run down the mountain like she normally would, because her chest is still tender and the stitches haven't completely healed yet.

The place looks creepy enough that she isn't sure if she wants to call out or not.

Regardless, she goes straight towards the hilltop manor. It's the most interesting thing here, and is the best place to tell her the history of this plantation, she thinks.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Halfling in the Playground

[Fort Aegis Resort]

"O-oh, no, n-no no, I'm no parent. I was just- e-everyone around here is sort of on unofficial babysitting duty. Or, well, official in the case of all the kobolds, I guess I-" She glances down as the silver dragon chirps at her. "Oh Nasir, get off my foot. You know I don't give you your dinner." She half-heartedly shakes to foot to try and dislodge the baby.

"Um, anyway, I'm Lucy. I'm just a resident here. I was just having a soak when that one" She growls, pointing up at the copper baby, who has expertly snipped off the lion's share of the sausages and dodged out the way while the other two squabble, "Decided to run past with those sausages. I'll make sure you get no dinner for this, Imbaeris, do you hear me?!" She shouts, shaking a fist up at him.

This might not be the first time something like this has occurred.

"I'm not sure where their dads are right now, but I could go fetch one of them for you if you want to talk."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Plantation]

The forgotten estate is quiet, deathly so. Apart from the rustling of unkempt crop, there is little sign of life here. No birds crow, nor do insects chirp. All things are humbled before the unearthly stillness. Similarly, the manorhouse does not appear to have been lived in for some time. Old paint has peeled away from the its decaying walls, and thorny weeds choke and throttle at the neglected planters which line the front of the house, occasionally rising up its very walls to wriggle in between its rotten wooden planks.

What few windows remain intact are obscured from the inside by moth-eaten curtains. Others are simply boarded up, having shattered at some point in the past. Long strips of wood have crumbled away in spots, revealing some of the darkened interior within. Unfortunately, the stray beams of light do little to illuminate much of import, instead casting shadows upon the foyer beyond.

The steps which lead upwards to the portico at the front of the manorhouse are saggy and unvarnished, and the front door is slightly ajar, slamming into its frame with every gust of howling wind.

7. - Top - End - #97

[The Plantation]

The complete lack of signs of life is incredibly unnerving. Seraphina expected at least the buzz of some bugs, but...it's just the wind.
    It's weird.
    Still, she decides that is, in itself, something worth finding out why. Was there some kind of toxic fertilizer used or something? Radiation? Or something else?

She goes up to it. The floors look like they could fall through at any time, so she definitely makes a note to be careful where she steps. Don't want to fall on a nail or fall into a pitch-black basement or something. And why are the windows boarded up? Was there some kind of zombie apocalypse that happened, or was there roving gangs of window-breakers?

She goes up to the door and claps three times. "Hello?" she calls out. "Anybody home?" Even though she is sure nobody will answer, she still feels like she has to call out, just in case. Then, as a joke, she adds, "Have you heard the good news of...um...whatever local religion there is here?" Seraphina laughs. Yeah, this is a weird situation.

She carefully goes up the steps, afraid one of them will break at any moment, and (if she gets through them safely) goes into the door and pauses there to let her eyes adjust.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

8. - Top - End - #98

[Fort Aegis Resort]

So she decided to just get out of the water and chase them down. That kind of devotion to your unofficial caretaker job was impressive to say at least. Though it seemed more likely she had just taken a liking to these kids no matter how upset she seemed about them now.

Ambrosia glances where Lucy points quietly wondering just how old these dragons were. Dragons could age remarkably differently depending on what world they were from. But regardless of their exact age they seemed to be quite a handful despite so many caretakers.

"Oh, we're in no rush, miss Lucy." Ambrosia remarks as she displays her armored palm. "But if you could at least mention that we're here we could wait for them to have the time to attend to us. We simply have a few questions for them."

9. - Top - End - #99
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default [Rivergreen]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    The jar is opened. The heart is stabbed. There's a tangible discharge of magical energy as it's destroyed. The old man's corpse, and the severed heart begin to wither and dry up, until they're leathery and mummified. Myriam seems to relax. "Phew. That fixed it, I think. It doesn't feel so awful anymore."
    All the time that's passed since he took out his heart is catching up with him, huh?
    Perhaps that's what brought the reaper this way; in a sense he's been dead ever since, hasn't he?

Anchor does keep the notes, though. While there's no need to take out the heart of anyone here, and she's not a great alchemist, she knows a great alchemist, and this is a very interesting formula and procedure.
    "You think everything is set to right here? I mean, can you sense anything else awful?"
    "Otherwise I'm going to take a closer look at that library."
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

10. - Top - End - #100
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

"I think we're okay now." Myriam looks tired now. She yawns. "I... think I'll just... lie down for a minute. You go... look at the library."

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #101
    Titan in the Playground

[Fort Aegis Resort]

"It seems like you do need all the hands you can get with this lot." The little dragons are awfully cute, she has to admit. But they're as clever as any child and have wings on top of it.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Plantation]

The untrustworthy set of stairs creak and groan beneath Seraphina's weight, but ultimately hold.

As the adventurer comes face to face with the sturdy wooden door allowing access into the manorhouse, she spots an interesting design carved into it's many embossed panels: that of a bold circle pierced by three pointed bars. Something about the symbol lingers in Seraphina's mind, though for now, the reason why eludes her.

Holding the door open is easy, for though the wood is quite heavy, its hinges remain more or less intact. Once her eyes adjust to the darkness beyond, she's able to make out several details. The adventurer appears to be facing an old-fashioned entry of some sort. In this case, the entry is little more than a claustrophobic hallway choked with antique furniture, much of which is buried under dusty sheets. Eerie landscape paintings hang from the walls, each piece depicting an interpretation of a colorful reality far from Seraphina's own.

The adventurer's claps do little to disturb the silence of this area.

However, her calls are met with some sort of commotion originating from the crumbling foyer beyond.

--

Past the door leading from the entry into the foyer, just out of sight, something scuttles about upon aged floorboards! The unsettling noise is followed by a the piercing sound of glass shattering.

Whatever is going on?

13. - Top - End - #103
    Ogre in the Playground

Fort Aegis Resort

Nasir is not to be dissuaded and attempts to crawl up Lucy's robed leg so he can sniff through one of her pockets.
    Meanwhile, Imbaeris' brothers make peace and resume munching upon their given sausages. Rather noisily.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

14. - Top - End - #104

[The Plantation]

Seraphina thinks that design is, at first, maybe some kind of religious symbol.
    But why would a religious symbol be on the door of some random building? It's not even a church or anything. At least it should be over the door if it were. What do the circle and bars even mean, anyway?
    Probably the sun and...skyscrapers? she thinks. That's what she's going with.

She steps in through the door, and, hearing all the sound, Seraphina jumps a little!
    That's got to have been some kind of animal that was resting and she frightened it and made it jump through the window.
    "Sorry," she whispers for frightening that animal. She hopes it didn't get injured jumping out of the window, or whatever.

Well, where should she start? She figures she has until about late afternoon to explore this area, and then it'd be too dark to see what's in here and too dangerous to continue wandering around. It's not like she's got a flashlight, or anything, and exploring solely off of starlight and what little moonlight gets in would be too dangerous.

She goes in, heading towards the foyer. That's where the sound came from, so that's the most reasonable place to look around first. Especially if that animal - or whatever it was - left behind little kittens or something. She's assuming it was a cat. Probably. Probably a cat.

Once into the foyer, Seraphina starts to look around, seeing if she can piece together the story of this place. (And to find evidence of what caused those sounds.)
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

15. - Top - End - #105

Default [Rivergreen]

Quote Originally Posted by bc56 View Post
    "I think we're okay now." Myriam looks tired now. She yawns. "I... think I'll just... lie down for a minute. You go... look at the library."
    "Here, I mean, let me at least help you up to the armchair." Anchor suggests, probably doing just that.
    And then she'll head down to loot examine the library.
    Her shadows stays behind to keep an eye on Myriam, though. Can't be too careful in a mad wizard's house.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

16. - Top - End - #106
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

With Myriam falling asleep in the armchair, Anchor heads down to the library. Without knowing what she's looking for, it's hard to say if she finds it. But there are a number of books on various facets of magic in the library.
    Upstairs, plants begin to grow from the chair where Myriam is sleeping, wrapping around it and cocooning her in green vines if they aren't stopped.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #107

Default [Rivergreen]

Anchor's not looking for a book, she's looking at the books! There could be all sorts of interesting things to read in here! And there are! She keeps having to stop reading further, and just throw that book in her backpack (which doesn't seem to be running out of space for more books, somehow).

Upstairs, you know, it's not entirely clear that this is a problem.
    Maybe now that the balance is restored with regards to the magic here, Myriam is supposed to return to sleep beneath the forest.
    But it's exactly the sort of thing the shadow was looking out for.
    So it glides up to Myriam and tries to teleport them both away, through the shadows of the house, down into the shadow of a pile of books in the library. This is the sort of thing that may very well wake you up.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

18. - Top - End - #108
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

Myriam is pulled down into the library! She doesn't seem to notice, she's too busy sleeping and being wrapped up by vines.
    Anchor, of course, will need to decide what to do with her. She could try to cut her free, or use magic, or any number of other things if she wanted to prevent it. Or she could let nature take its course.

My Nexus characters

19. - Top - End - #109

Default [Rivergreen]

Anchor is going to try to shake her awake, but if it's too late for that, she'll get out her knife again and start cutting through some vines.
    "Myriam!"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

20. - Top - End - #110
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

Myriam sleepily mumbles something until the vines start being cut. Then she stirs, stretching and yawning, but not awakening fully. "GwayImtryntsleep," She mutters, her words blurring together. Her eyes slowly blink open when Anchor doesn't stop. "Whasshappenin?"

My Nexus characters

21. - Top - End - #111

Default [Rivergreen]

Anchor leans over, an apologetic look on her face. "You were getting wrapped up in plants. Couldn't tell if it was you or this place doing it."
    "So, are you alright? Disappearing back into the forest already?"
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

22. - Top - End - #112
    Ogre in the Playground

[The Plantation]

The single door leading from the entry into the foyer beyond is in far worse condition than the front door itself, having suffered damage some time ago which has rendered it nearly useless. As such, when Seraphina attempts to open the door, it simply falls apart at the hinges. The first hinge tears straight out of the wall, crashing onto the floor before shattering. The second hinge simple separates down the middle, allowing the door itself to collapse backwards into the foyer with a thunderous crash, disturbing dust.

Once the particle storm produces by the crash settles and the adventurer starts to look around, she'll be able to spot the source of the broken glass sound she'd heard earlier: a glass display case has been knocked over onto its side, the case seeming to have shattered on impact. The object once stored within now rests upon dusty, sagging floorboards. It appears to be a particularly ancient tome of some sort. The book's bindings appear to be crafted of a strange, yellowish leather. All in all, it's an unpleasant looking thing.

Whatever may have knocked the case over appears to have vanished, though if Seraphina is particularly observant she'll notice a set of animal tracks laid in the dust. Whatever left the tracks couldn't have been larger than a particularly robust raccoon or possum. Surely, it was nothing to be concerned about.

Beyond the foyer, an exquisitely carved arch opens into what appears to be a common room of some sort.

23. - Top - End - #113
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

"I guess I must be?" Myriam yawns. "I don't know. I've never done this before." She's really not sure. "I really do feel tired. Maybe it's, um, my power telling me I need to sleep until I'm needed again? I don't know."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #114

Default [Rivergreen]

"You should probably make it back out to the forest, if you can."
    "I mean, if you fall asleep here, people will be disturbing you before long."

Anchor offers, a bit sad at Myriam probably vanishing so soon.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

25. - Top - End - #115
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

"Right." Then she realizes something. "Oh, I promised those farmers I would help with their crops! I can't sleep yet!" She tries to keep herself from nodding off, but she's clearly still struggling to stay awake.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #116

Default [Rivergreen]

"Exactly. Come on, maybe you'll feel better outside."
    With that, Anchor tries to take Myriam's hand and lead her out of the library, indeed, all the way out of the house.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

Out of the house, into the street. Myriam is increasingly leaning on Anchor for support and trying not to fall asleep. Plants they pass by keep reaching for the nature spirit, trying to entangle her and pull her down. It's almost like she doesn't have control over her powers.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #118

[The Plantation]

"Oops." Sorry, door. You were just doing your job and then somebody had to try to open you.

Seraphina holds her breath, just in case the dust is radioactive, and pulls her cloak hood closer around her to block out as much as possible. She waits until the dust settles to start breathing again.

And! Oh! Cool.
    So it wasn't a window that the probably-a-cat jumped out of, but instead it just knocked over something. Makes sense, actually, given how the windows are mostly boarded up.
    It may be a gross-looking book ("Ugh, talk about tacky," she says to herself) but it's still a book. If she leaves it there on the floor, it's eventually going to rot away, or get eaten by cats, or something. Looking for the tracks of the probably-a-feral-cat aren't as important as making sure the book's okay and picking it up. Eventually, she'll need to get it to some kind of library or something so they can make sure it doesn't rot away.

Once picking it up, Seraphina flips through it, trying to see what kind of book it is.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

29. - Top - End - #119

Default [Rivergreen]

Probably she doesn't! She hasn't really had a chance to practice with them, has she?
    Anchor has her hands full trying to keep Myriam up and shoo the plants out of the way, but she's managing it.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

30. - Top - End - #120
    Troll in the Playground

Rivergreen

The pair struggle their way out into the fields. Stalks of wheat try to grasp Myriam and pull her down, but she resists. "Not now! I need to help people!" She shouts at the ground, to little effect. She'll need to pull herself together and maybe stop the plants from trying to grab her if she wants to actually bless these fields though.

My Nexus characters