New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171833 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Default Re: Outside 50: Meeting nature halfway

[A Brisk Afternoon Jog - Day 2]

Lady Eiko very slightly shakes her head, a polite denial.
    "No, not an outsider. I am from Omoshin, which serves as an...elder sibling of sorts to Gerusasa."
    This is an awkward analogy at best, evidently as a more palatable form of something uncomfortable.

"But yes, Omoshin is quite nearby by necessity."
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

2. - Top - End - #212
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

G’nichi nods.
    ”Yes, I’ve heard it mentioned a while ago. What I'm confused about is why I only heard about it a few minutes ago. It sounds like it's bigger than this village, and yet this village is on the map and Omoshin is not. Is it somehow harder to find? It seems as if the two settlements are certainly connected." Sounds like they're connected in some strange manner judging from the commentary of her tone.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

3. - Top - End - #213
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

If it's any consolation to G'nichi, she seems to also find that puzzling.
    "I know Omoshin isn't in the most accessible location, but it has certainly had travelers before."
    There's a hanging "unlike here" to her tone.

"Perhaps you had a misprinted map?"
    Absentee Spirit

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

Well G’nichi doesn’t know what to say to that. She doesn’t seem to be lying.
    ”I can’t say. Still, what’s the relationship the places have? It sounds like one is much larger than the other despite being so close.” The other might also sound a bit nicer if it has schools. Maybe this spot simply has significance? Or is closer to farmland that was already claimed.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Titan in the Playground

[Dimensional Troubles]

Thariza nods, before relaying the answer to the others:

"They accept. You can come on in."

[Fort Aegis Resort]

"If this place is owned by dragons, a robe to fit a Charr shouldn't be a problem." Thariza will take off her armor and try to find one. "We're not the biggest people around."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

6. - Top - End - #216
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    [Steelbite Canyon]

"Pff, doesn't matter. I died plenty of times. I'll just have to claw my way back again," Magdalene snorts ever as she continues to fade. "Cultist is dead so we're mostly clear. You guys just gotta find the weird purple rock he's got somewhere and smash it."

Her words get more and more insubstantial as she speaks until she has faded out completely.

All that's left is her corpse laying on the ground.

Well.

That's certainly weird.

But Atreyu is one of those adventure types form Azeroth, right?

He knows all about getting offed and having to run back to his body!

...right?
    [Steelbite Canyon]

Atreyu glances across at Calm Reed, then looks back down at Magdalene's...body? Doesn't exactly seem right, does it?

"We, ah, appear to be down a member. Ain't ever seen someone that calm on death's door before. Reckon' she ain't properly dead. Damned if I know what to do about it though."

And of course, the sounds in the distance means they've got another problem coming.

"Yer the boss, so if'n y'wanna stay, we'll stay. But it might not be a bad idea to retreat. Not quite gone to plan so far."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

7. - Top - End - #217
    Orc in the Playground

Steelbite Canyon

The prisoner frowns as he's manhandled closer, and doesn't look especially pleased even as the motorcycles get louder. There's a possibility the riders aren't part of the cult; it was only this small group that Fido corrupted, whilst the Road Pirates are quite widespread. They still need to find and smash the rock, and make sure there aren't any more zombies about. They've seen one; it might have been alone, but there's also signs of some fighting that occurred before the Vigilantes turned up- the burnt-out motorhome, for example.

There's also the old guy still restrained, struggling against the plants.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

8. - Top - End - #218
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Earl of Purple View Post
    Blackheart Woods

There is no magic upon the door, nor the key. The key turns and the door opens quite easily. Beyond is a chamber much larger than the first. There's several large benches and tables against the walls, with quite a bit of detritus and rubbish upon them. There's three doors, including the one the two girls have used. One wooden door to their left, and a concrete arch to the right. There's a large mirror hanging on one of the walls, surprisingly clean given the decay and dust everywhere else. In the centre of the room is a table with four old and battered computers on. They're really early models, easily twenty years old, maybe even thirty years, compared with modern technology. Of course, this ruin has been abandoned for far longer than that, so that's just comparing their appearances. There's no power down here; the lights aren't working, and the switch on the wall won't do anything. So Karasu would need to either take one out and patch it up or take a look at the insides to determine what they're actually like. One would be easier to remove than the others, since it's designed to be portable, though not a true laptop- it's too chunky, and isn't straight, and the screen flips up but not all the way at the back.

Natalie looks around over Karasu's shoulder, with some interest. "Those are weird looking computers." She's not seen computers quite so old, since they don't exist in her world so she's only seen them in the Nexus, where more modern-looking examples are available.
    [Blackheart Woods]

Once they get to their destination, Karasu looks around, immediately noticing the state of the mirror and narrowing her eyes at it. She makes quick mental notes of everything in the room, compared to its current state. "Positively ancient, really, though less so compared to what's considered 'modern' in places like Inside."

She nods her head toward the mirror, not surprised at this point that Natalie missed that. Thinking about how oblivious she can be at times brings a small smile to Karasu's face. "Mirror bothers me. Looks too clean, compared to the area. Maybe magic? More interesting than the computers, though." It'd be the reverse if it were Mirai and not Karasu, her brother would dart straight for the computers whilst keeping an eye on the mirror.

On her way to the mirror, she does pick up one of the portable computers to have a look at after she's done studying the mirror. "Big bro can have a look at this..." She says, adding it to her inventory/'storage bead' of holding. It's chunky, so it consumes a some amount of inventory space, regardless.
    Last edited by Purple Eagle; 2021-05-08 at 04:25 AM.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

9. - Top - End - #219
    Bugbear in the Playground

[Fort Aegis Resort]

"That's a logical-" Ambrosia starts but quickly stops herself. "It doesn't matter, let's just find some clothes, shall we?"

And presuambly, they do!

Ambrosia's robe does not seem to be from the spa itself however, did she bring her own? She didn't carrying anything like that in, that's for sure. It's purple (of course) so it does seem to be made to fit her asthetics.
    But once they're done changing I think it can be assumed they're guided to wherever they're supposed to be.

10. - Top - End - #220
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Lady Eiko shoos the little boy off to the back room before answering. After he's gone, she takes a moment to put together the words here.
    "The relationship between these two settlements is difficult to sum together, for someone without...context. Most of those here are from Omoshin, originally. It isn't my place to discuss the others' reasons, but my post here is technically a matter of exile from my family."
    Exile seems like something that should have a pretty negative association to it, but she seems at peace with it.

"It may be best to say that Gerusasa is a spiritual requirement for Omoshin's continued prosperity."
    Absentee Spirit

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

G'nichi furrows his brow.
    "Wait so you...you said that this Feast was for past sins, and this place is- oh." G'nichi's frown manages to deepen with his increasing hatred of this place.
    "You're scapegoats. In the traditional sense. Sent away for 'spiritual purity' and every once and a while killed for it too."
    G'nichi swears by Bahamut nothing would please him more than tearing this place apart panel by panel. And apparently he has to do that with Omoshin as well.

12. - Top - End - #222
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

There is a small, demure little shrug.
    "Perhaps. Do other places not have prisons and executions? Events like the Feast are almost unheard of in their rarity and we have no overloaded jails. We have peace and most are happy.
    Lord Shinomo exacts a light price for his blessings."

This looks and smells like propaganda, but propaganda she's bought into. A good priestess believes what she preaches.
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

"Other places have jails for those that actually commit crimes. They do not execute bystanders every century for crimes committed by their own ancestors." G'nichi says darkly.
    "But by all means, tell me of His blessings. I am clearly entering your town in a time of Wrath and am biased by possible impending demise. I'm sure there is a reason you venerate Him." Yes, try to be nice. There's got to be something. Some reason why they didn't get any other god to interdict on their behalf from this monster.

Because this better not be one of those stupid movies where they just shrug and tell the audience that the system Just Works.

14. - Top - End - #224
    Titan in the Playground

[Fort Aegis Resort]

Thariza finds a more or less Charr-sized robe. It's black, rather than her customary blue, but she doesn't seem to mind. If she's surprised by Ambrosia bringing her own robe, she doesn't seem to consider it worth bringing up.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

15. - Top - End - #225
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Culture shock is difficult."
    It's a quiet comment, Lady Eiko is trying her best to work with an unusually hostile audience.
    Given that most she interacts with are already on board, it's not something she has practice with.

"I'm unsure how divinity presents itself where you are from, but we are granted the safe havens of our homes free from the predations of beasts and monsters. Our farms suffer no blights, no storms ravage our buildings, we are not plagued by disease or unreasonable harm."
    If someone stubs their toe or something, that's on them though.
    "He does not walk amongst us, true, but the most devout hear His voice on the winds and in our dreams."
    There is a distinctly rapturous tone that creeps its way in there, and her expression is one looking somewhere far in the distance, away from here.

How much of any of this is actually true versus how much of this she believes is true, G'nichi's weapons can't say.
    But believe it she does.
    Absentee Spirit

16. - Top - End - #226
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

"Well, Bahamut has never spoken to me. Though he does empower his clerics with magics to right wrongs and aid our people.
    I have spoken to one goddess named Tiamat, though. She was very kind to me. People have tried to make sacrifices in her name but she told me that she does not want them. For the blood of the living comes from her blood but she has entrusted it to the mortals of her world as her children."
    He tells her for definitely no particular reason.
    G'nichi would love to have her net. He'd like to go fishing for a god.
    "It is a shame. I'd like to see Omoshin. But the fog keeps me from seeing it and I'll probably be dead tomorrow." he shrugs dramatically.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

There's just a pleasant smile in the face of G'nichi's 'no particular reason' commentary.
    "They sound lovely. Did you live alongside them as well?"
    It's framed as an innocent question, but it seems apparent the priestess thinks their situation to be rather special.
    "Our Lord willing, perhaps in the coming days the fog will lift and you will get your wish."
    Absentee Spirit

18. - Top - End - #228
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

"Well...yes and no. I haven't spent any time with her followers. But she considers all mortal life to be her children so...sort of." G'nichi does his best to nod sagely.
    "Oh and one last thing. I don't suppose you have any insight into the Demons? I do hope we can all end this quickly. And I do know that well, most will suspect me first." It is a sad truth. And Atsushi is right; he didn't do himself many favors.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Titan in the Playground

[Steelbite Canyon]

Magdalene's cavalier attitude towards her own death is certainly putting Calm Reed on edge. It's not exactly something a monk is meant to approve of. Then again, the first friend she met in the Nexus is a flesh-eating ghoul, so is she really in a position to judge? Magdalene seems to be using her condition towards righteous ends. For the moment at least. She's also not quite sure when she was put in charge of this party... but then, it's natural for a Dragon-Blooded.

"The resistance is more than I had anticipated," she admits. "I would rather not get caught in the open when they arrive. Let us retreat somewhere safer and see what our next move should be."
    Last edited by Morty; 2021-05-11 at 04:07 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well there's a slightly less tricky question than religious debate.

Still, it's not a super palatable subject and Lady Eiko crosses her voluminous sleeves while she contemplates an answer.
    "Precise details aren't really given, I'm sorry to say...tales of the past imply they are cursed, or corrupted, and the people they once were completely lost. At the least, their sanity abandons them and they are restricted only by the inherent rules of the Feast."
    She seems likewise perplexed about the precise logic of the arrangement.
    "I have been attempting to pray for guidance on the matter, but it would seem I am to play my part in the same blinding fog as everyone else."
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #231
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [Dimensional Troubles]

The dragon raises one claw in a hushing motion to Riss as she asks why the attack was nessecary before turning to face the aliens. "'Exhaust negotations'? Sounds like it'd be worth a try at least, don't you think? If it fails we can always give 'em a good whopping." The dragon makes a boxing motion with her claws, the armored beings looking at her with what seems to be confusion.

Meanwhile, Ambrosia can't help but to giggle at Thariza's nickname though in the same motion she discreetly accepts the device offered to her and gives Riss a curt nod, and then turns to address the others. "I concur as well, I'm going to go in there and make sure to undo this. Chances are, judging from the smoke raising from it, something simply went wrong and needs to be fixed. Thus, attacking would likely make things worse." Riss would have noticed smoke rising from the side of the temple, as if an explosion had recently gone off there.

The aliens all looks one another, perhaps exchanging some telepathic communication between one another before the one who have been speaking for them so far looks to the dragon. For now, we shall trust in you wisdom and stay our blades.

Ambrosia turns to look up the eyes carved into the ceiling of the temple. "I'm coming in Thariza, but tell our friend in there that if they wish any more help with whatever device that caused all this, they should consider inviting her as well." She gestures at the Riss drone.

Thariza can hear Ambrosia's reply and so can Jaccal it seems. "Tell them... we accept this. We wish to learn more about whoever created that."
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Dimensional Troubles]

Thariza nods, before relaying the answer to the others:

"They accept. You can come on in."
    [Dimensional Troubles]

"Fortuitous." came the mononymic response to the situation. She would have expected... Perhaps a touch more resistance or at least a more guarded response but if Ambrosia vouching was enough, no sense in avoiding the opportunity.

That said, she would simply follow behind Ambrosia by a few paces, her quartet of arms remaining folded behind her back. Ambrosia might notice that the spot she left, however, seemed to have a partially finished circle in the soil. Other than the presence of a pair of symbols that might or might not be in her lexicon, it's function was unlikely to be immediately discernible.

22. - Top - End - #232
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog

"I don't know. I feel like if someone was erased they wouldn't be so able to fool everyone. That's why I argued what I did." he chuckles.
    "At least I can trust the two of us are still sane, yes? I cannot imagine any god would be so cruel as to curse their own priestess." Maybe he ought to pose his question a bit more delicately than when he dropped it into Atsushi's lap.

23. - Top - End - #233
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"I claim no special immunity from our Lord's wrath, else I would not be here at all, correct? I feel sane enough, though."

At this particular point, she gives a troubled little "hm". She had opened her mouth to respond, but closes it again with a frown.
    A thought of some sort seems to work its way through her expressions before she speaks again.
    "Mister G'nichi, have you considered that maybe during the day, we are all who we say we are? And the demon simply manifests itself during the night, like an accursed sleep walking?"
    Absentee Spirit

24. - Top - End - #234
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog - Day 2

G'nichi blinks.
    "It's possible, but I can't really be sure. I do know that the blessings were given out by the presence of some manner of spirit. I sensed them last night. That being said, would that not invalidate the point of the ceremony you described? Using our wits to exorcise the demons? If they are truly ignorant than there really wouldn't be any way for us to know save for the gifts of the Crow and such. It would be just random killing."
    What he does not say is that it also would be much less of a game. And since this is set up to be a particularly cruel game what would the fun be in that to their tormentors?

25. - Top - End - #235
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

What a weirdly comforting-but-also-not rebuttal.
    "Unless the punishment was simply to ignorantly judge, instead..."
    For better or worse, that possibility looks to actually bother her to some degree.
    "But it makes more sense your way, and Lord Shinomo is usually blunt in his demands."
    Absentee Spirit

26. - Top - End - #236
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi wonders if he should ask less of the Priestess. But he feels like he has to know.
    "I thought these were his demands. Does he make requests of your people often? You made it sound like he does not speak to you directly." This could go badly in so many wonderful ways...

27. - Top - End - #237
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Not terribly often, no, and usually much less...strenuously than what were are experiencing at the moment. Perhaps an honor festival, or a presentation of harvest."
    Lady Eiko inclines her head to the side at G'nichi's final question though, more mundanely confused this time.
    "Did I not say we heard Him on the wind and in our dreams? I was being literal."
    Absentee Spirit

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ogre in the Playground

"Well. Uh. In my defense it sounded very poetic." G'nichi admits bashfully, rubbing the back of his neck.
    Hm. He did get a nightly visitor last night. Perhaps one of this god's minions? What he wouldn't give for a spirit trap. He needs to interrogate someone actually in the know.
    "Ah. Well, thank you for your help. You've been very polite despite me being...me. Sorry about that." G'nichi wonders if he was always this blunt or it's just become unconscious when he gained three hundred pounds.

29. - Top - End - #239
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

A quiet little laugh.
    "Poetry isn't one of my talents, but thank you.
    And your apology is accepted. I harbor no grudge. This situation is stressful to us, I can't imagine it weighs lightly on an outsider. This is my job, I am here to serve."

Lady Eiko gives a little bow at the end of this.

"I maintain faith it will all work out as it must."
    Absentee Spirit

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi nods.
    "I pray that you're right, Miss. I'd love to have been right this morning." Though he does not feel willing to bet anyone's life on it.
    He takes his leave. What now? Perhaps he should make sure Mari hasn't gone drinking again. Oh, and Jeb had said he could check out the bodies. Bleck. Unsightly work, but he can at least maybe determine if the poor victims were truly murdered by possessed people or by something else.
    He wishes he had some cameras to leave out. But he doesn't think he can leave his weapons out as sentries either. They wouldn't be able to report back in the morning.

Jungle / The Green

(closed)
    Artie, now of House Wadjet, has had a long day. She was a fairly normal centaur as of...well under a day at least, and is currently a rather dazzling...hm. What would she call herself? Perhaps a lamia? Naga? Snake-folk aren't as coherently named between worlds as other people. Centaurs are centaurs even in other realms.
    Either way! She might have been new to slithering but a few hours before but you wouldn't know it from the speed at which she descended the cliff with its perching ruins. Though once that was settled it just left her a long, long trek through the greenery back to civilization. Of course this is complicated by her only having a vague idea of where she's going. She thinks she came this way but she was under magical influence at the time and she's not sure if she wasn't teleported at some point. Really the details of the last ten hours are rather fuzzy. What she does know is that this sweater does not fit her at all anymore. And her shirt is far too sticky with juice so it has retained its new role as a fruit-bag. At least her belt-pouch with her knife and wallet is adjustable. Not that it's really doing her any good. The sweater is just too hot for such temperate places. No one is around so it won't hurt if she does without it for a while, right? Save for the good chance of being bit by mosquitoes everywhere. Maybe she should have tried to get herself wings big enough to fly...