New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 50 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181934 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Outside 50: Meeting nature halfway

[Dimensional Troubles]

As she heads after Ambrosia the carved eyes seems to be following them wherver they go. Riss can never actually see them move, nor no any of her sensors detect movement, yet their positions seem to change whenever she isn't looking at them.
    But the eyes aren't the only thing that seem to shift when they aren't looking as Riss sensors can detect that the walls themselves are moving around in complete silence outside their field of vision. It seems like they're making a path for them as there is always only one place to go.
    Ambrosia doesn't comment on any of this and just follows the path they're given confidently. Never taking a second look at anything, almost as if she's been here before.

Eventually, they reach a huge set of doors which are already open as they arrive. Behind is a huge bunker-like complex which must be located below the temple. They must have been heading downwards all this time somehow.

Thariza will get a nod of confirmation from Ambrosia and she can see her head deeper inside the temple accompandied by the drone.

"We will start you operation once we're finished with this... diplomacy attempt."

Sure enough, Ambrosia soon arrives with the drone tagging along behind her.
    Thariza (who Morty can describe) should be close to the entrance of the bunker space and next to her is a charr that looks almost identical to her but dressed in a long grey robe. There is also a couple of constructs, largely humanoid in shape, pulling large machinery down into this space from elsewhere. Seems like they're planning to store them here for whatever reason.

"Here they are." The robed charr remarks. "Now, tell us, what or who is this?" They gesture towards the Riss drone.
    Ambrosia makes a polite nod towards the charr, apparently she needs to introduction. She then looks to the drone. "Do you want to...?"
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2021-05-13 at 02:05 PM.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    A Brisk Afternoon Jog - Day 2

G'nichi nods.
    "I pray that you're right, Miss. I'd love to have been right this morning." Though he does not feel willing to bet anyone's life on it.
    He takes his leave. What now? Perhaps he should make sure Mari hasn't gone drinking again. Oh, and Jeb had said he could check out the bodies. Bleck. Unsightly work, but he can at least maybe determine if the poor victims were truly murdered by possessed people or by something else.
    He wishes he had some cameras to leave out. But he doesn't think he can leave his weapons out as sentries either. They wouldn't be able to report back in the morning.
    As G'nichi leaves, Lady Eiko moves off towards the back room the child was sent to.

As he ponders his options here, his weapons do speak up. Specifically, his sword.
    If it were me, we would have dragged the bodies to the grave-site beforehand, to be buried when we had time. You should go to the cemetery.
    Probably. These people could eat them, for all we know.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2021-05-13 at 09:41 AM.
    "Fear and creativity are conjoined twins."
    Absentee Spirit

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, it would probably be an issue for an outsider to go about burying bodies in this town. But it's a fair point. It's possible if the 'cursed' people transform as some kind of lycanthropy or they simply choose a victim which are magically struck down. But G'nichi should at least be able to identify wounds from human or elven hands or something magic. Perhaps they might even bear the mark of a spirit like G'nichi did.
    It sure would be convenient if one of them was a Wolf but was immediately killed for breaking the rules.
    G'nichi nods and heads to the graveyard. It's a good thing the town is too small to get lost that easily.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

4. - Top - End - #244
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

[A Brisk Afternoon Jog - Day 2]

Onwards, to the cemetery!

The fog makes it a pain to see anything, but the size of the area and clarity of the walking paths makes it pretty easy to get where he needs to go.
    It would probably be pretty hard to actually find the bodies though, if he couldn't pretty quickly hear the sounds of a shovel striking earth.

The muting effect of the fog will help dampen his footsteps if G'nichi decides to be quiet in his approach, but it won't matter too much. Either way he'll see Fudo's back as he digs a hole in the ground, long before he notices G'nichi.
    Off to his right, a tarp is wrapped around a big lump.
    Absentee Spirit

5. - Top - End - #245
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi approaches the man slowly.
    "Hello, Mister Fudo. Grim work to be going at it alone. Do you need any help?" he asks somberly.
    The last thing he wants is to be caught skulking around by one of the people who seem to be close to Jeb's circle. He'd better just play this one straight.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Titan in the Playground

[Dimensional Troubles]

Thariza gives an awkward wave to Ambrosia and the drone. Great, more creepy machines. Where did Ambrosia pick this one up? But it seems an explanation is forthcoming.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

7. - Top - End - #247
    Barbarian in the Playground

[Dimensional Troubles]

It might be somewhat difficult for the eyes to 'shift' given the substantial range of vision available to her terminal but they would regardless be somewhat unnerving... Ambrosia might or might not detect that the rather aloof mannerisms of the drone became ever so slightly more frigid when being made the center of attention. It might be too minute to notice but there might be just the slightest more rigidity to their stance and manner. She did follow perhaps just a touch more slowly, trying to take in as much information about her surroundings as possible.

When arriving and being prompted for an introduction, what followed was an almost robotic: "I am Clarissa Heln-Gelter. This form is a terminal of mine that is here for data acquisition concerning the ongoing anomaly in this region." Friendliness was perhaps a difficult skill for this one. The dead air after it's statement seemed to beg for at least some kind of reply in kind, however.

Though perhaps not visually apparent, a fair portion of it's attention was directed towards the constructs and especially the machinery they were toting.

8. - Top - End - #248
    Orc in the Playground

Blackheart Woods

Natalie has no idea what any of these things are, really. She'll head over to the mirror and examine it with Karasu- but not for long. She recoils the moment she sees her reflection in the mirror. Natalie's reflecting a charred and burnt corpse, the red nylon of her rucksack melted to the flesh. Karasu's reflection is also altered, appearing like a corpse, though not a burnt one. Instead, the drawn and greyish flesh of the reflection might be familiar to Karasu, with dried bloodstains on the reflection's face from nose and mouth and eyes.

Natalie moves quite quickly to get away from the mirror, standing somewhere that she can't see her own reflection- though Karasu, if she stays put, can still see it, as Natalie can see Karasu's reflection. She's crying a little, too, sniffling and trying to find some tissue to wipe her face with. If Karasu wishes to keep the mirror, it won't resist going into storage.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

9. - Top - End - #249
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Wise approach.

Fudo stiffens slightly as G'nichi speaks, in surprise, but doesn't stop stabbing the spade into the ground.
    "Didn't bring another shovel, outsider."
    It's not a tacit "get lost", even if it isn't friendly.
    "If you're here to gawk, they're in the tarp. Mostly."
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2021-05-15 at 10:04 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi inhales deeply.
    "I will regret this, but I do have a mystery to solve." He hesitantly opens the tarp to examine the bodies. He doesn't really expect to get a ton of information out of this. But he made sure he didn't eat first.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Pixie in the Playground

[Blackheart Woods]

Karasu freezes in place as she stares at the reflection and long-buried memories resurface. Of the first crush she had, a rather effeminate boy a few years older than her who was the first to connect with her on a deeper level at the orphanage. Her first crush, and how he looked when she saw him die at the hospital. A boy so full of life, rid of it by the genetic blood disease.

"Femi..." She whispers, wobbling but keeping her balance. Her reminiscing leads her to remember she and Natalie's meeting, how she'd all of a sudden blurted everything she was keeping in, and found comfort in Natalie's hug. Friendship, and first kiss... wait, isn't she here with her now?

And then she notices the ghastly charred corpse in the mirror, and rememebers that Natalie's mother died in a fire. Acting quickly, she makes a floating ink hand that pulls down the mirror so the reflections aren't visible, then runs down to comfort her girlfriend. "Shh... it's okay, Tali. Covered it." She squeezes her tight, suddenly realizing that she'd started crying from the time she stared at the mirror a bit.

"Let's continue on. Should hide the mirror. Carry it with us, maybe, so we know we won't stumble into it later. Whatever just gets it out of our sight." She says, grasping the pale girl's hands. "Together."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #252
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Regret is an interesting thing.
    ...well, no villager did that.
    Do you have a right to feeling regret, when you fully bring it upon yourself?
    This...is a message, to obey.

Both of his weapons seem more than slightly nonplussed.

Within the tarp at G'nichi's feet, is not a corpse, or two corpses.
    It is a nearly indescribable amalgamation of what used to be two people, evidently turned inside out and churned together.

The sound of digging has stopped.
    Last edited by Chaotic Bob; 2021-05-15 at 10:15 PM.
    Absentee Spirit

13. - Top - End - #253
    Ogre in the Playground

A Brisk Afternoon Jog - 2

G’nichi immediately gags, slaps the tarp back in place. He gags again, even if there’s not enough breakfast in his belly to lose. Bile is all that escapes his jaws as he coughs.
    ”Why [hack] do any [augh] of you [cough] live here?!
    There’s nothing to work with other than that these people were killed magically. But whether by a spirit like the one that blessed him or merely a bolt of divine wrath he cannot say.
    But what he does know is that there is going to be hell to pay.
    By my Lord Bahamut,
    By kindly Tiamat,
    By the Celestial Arms and their vessel,
    I will strike down this devil. I will not suffer this tyrant’s existence. He will kill me before I let this twisted game happen again.

14. - Top - End - #254
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Guess you didn't do it, then."
    The sound of digging resumes.

There's a couple digging cycles, before Fudo speaks up again.
    "This is our home. Where else are we supposed to go? Just need to defend it, it looks like."
    He is sounding strong and confident here, but if G'nichi actually looks back at him, his face has gone pale again.

Looks like he didn't enjoy seeing the dead mass again either.
    Absentee Spirit

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ogre in the Playground

”No.”
    G’nichi stands up. Wisps of smoke curl from his jaws as the flame in his belly begs to be released as it burns with his fury.
    ”You don’t get to look me in the eye and say everything is fine after looking at that. You know [darn] well you could go fifteen miles to Inside and set up where this doesn’t happen. I know because my parents did. And they came from being treehouse bug farmers.
    You all tell me that this is all fine because this only happens every once and a while and poo-poo the stupid outsider because he doesn’t get that it’s fine that people are getting turned into smoothies.

You can stay as faithful as you want, but don’t you dare tell me nothing is wrong.”
    he growls. But it dissipates quickly.
    ”I’m sorry. I’m not being fair to you. This is just a lot. And the imminent demise isn’t helping me.”

16. - Top - End - #256
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Fudo mulls over the outburst, thoughtfully shoveling out a few last bits of dirt.
    "I don't know about any 'Inside', but I'll guess it's an alright place. Still not home though."
    He shrugs, before sticking the shovel into the ground next to the hole and climbing out.

Taking up position next to the tarp, he looks up towards the fog-obscured sky.
    "I agree that this isn't okay, not sure that anyone would think killing is good. But I'm also not as religious as some of the others, just keep focused on the work needing doing.
    The work that needs doing now is living, so that's what I'll do. That's what we're all going to do, yeah?"
    Absentee Spirit

17. - Top - End - #257
    Orc in the Playground

Blackheart Woods

Natalie's mother died in a magical explosion, when Natalie was about three. Considerably more recently, an angry mob burnt down her father's house, whilst he was inside.

Natalie nods when she sees Karasu's covered the mirror, and will hug Karasu when she approaches. "That... I don't like that mirror. It's horrible." She might be able to handle it better now she knows, it was just... a bit of a shock to be confronted with it.

Moving on, there's two possible exits. Well, three, but one of those takes them back the way they came. There's an archway to the right of the door they entered by, and a wooden door in the wall to the left. Looking at the archway, it leads straight into another chamber that would appear to be a dead end whilst the wooden door is unlocked and not stuck, but conceals whatever lies behind. "Should we go through that way, and check to make sure there's nothing behind us or go that way? If there's more tunnels and rooms and stuff, they're gonna be through that door, because that room's a dead end, I think." Natalie gulps and sniffles a little as she speaks, before turning to the door they used and making a gesture, red card suites- but not just hearts and diamonds; clubs and spades, as well, just red- appear around her before coalescing into a crab. It's a blue crustacean, quite small but hardy-looking, especially since it's a hermit crab that has a piece of carved stone serving as its shell. "Guard the door, make sure nothing dangerous comes up behind us."
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

18. - Top - End - #258
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi nods.
    "Yeah. But...am I wrong for trying to save people? Someone is going to die tomorrow. It'll probably be me. And even if I pulled a lie detector from under my tail and asked everyone in town if they're a Demon there's nothing I'd actually be able to do if anyone said yes.
    you're not one, right?"

19. - Top - End - #259
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Jungle / The Green

(closed)
    Artie, now of House Wadjet, has had a long day. She was a fairly normal centaur as of...well under a day at least, and is currently a rather dazzling...hm. What would she call herself? Perhaps a lamia? Naga? Snake-folk aren't as coherently named between worlds as other people. Centaurs are centaurs even in other realms.
    Either way! She might have been new to slithering but a few hours before but you wouldn't know it from the speed at which she descended the cliff with its perching ruins. Though once that was settled it just left her a long, long trek through the greenery back to civilization. Of course this is complicated by her only having a vague idea of where she's going. She thinks she came this way but she was under magical influence at the time and she's not sure if she wasn't teleported at some point. Really the details of the last ten hours are rather fuzzy. What she does know is that this sweater does not fit her at all anymore. And her shirt is far too sticky with juice so it has retained its new role as a fruit-bag. At least her belt-pouch with her knife and wallet is adjustable. Not that it's really doing her any good. The sweater is just too hot for such temperate places. No one is around so it won't hurt if she does without it for a while, right? Save for the good chance of being bit by mosquitoes everywhere. Maybe she should have tried to get herself wings big enough to fly...
    [The Green]

The canopy folds over itself, reducing the sun to shards of golden glass which litter the earth. After a little while, Artie might come to hear a woman's singing from somewhere to her south. Should she decide to take a closer look, she'll be able to see a short human woman of middling age. She has skin darkened by the sun and even darker freckles. Her hair, stitched with silver, is bundled up behind her head. She's full-figured, barefoot, and draped in a loose red dress.

Small, gorgeous yellow and pink birds flitter about her. They join her song or dart close and take seeds from the palm of her hand. A couple even elect to perch on her arm and shoulder. She seems pleased.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

20. - Top - End - #260
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Saving lives is always good, but methods matter."
    Fudo shrugs a bit, before crouching down to ensure the tarp is more securely wrapped around its contents.
    "Pretty sure I'm not a demon, but lies are cheap."

A statement of which neither side is refuted by G'nichi's weapons.
    "Lies are cheap and outsiders are suspicious. With little else to go off of, you're in trouble."
    Absentee Spirit

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ogre in the Playground

The Green

Ah, finally a real person to talk to! She could certainly use some interaction. Maybe she can barter her fruit for a spare shirt? She hastily pulls on the sweater again so she doesn't look like some nutcase slithering through the forest naked despite holding clothes.
    The woman will swiftly find a young woman approaching her. Snake from the waist down, her scales glimmer like gemstones of green and blue with golden eyes like a peacock's feathers down her sides. Feathers of similar colors adorn her head and forearms with small wings extending from them. The plain brown sweater she's wearing certainly does not seem suited to her figure at all but it does suit her tan skin tone if nothing else.
    "Um, hello Miss. Are you from around here? I'm not entirely sure if I know where I'm going." she admits.

"Ah, but that's a problem in an of itself: if outsiders are suspicious, how will anyone trust one when they give you something to go off? I wish I'd been eased into things like this, but so far I have an alarming record for having gods trying to get me killed. If I had a dime for how many times- well it wouldn't be a lot, but it's weird it's happened multiple times." G'nichi stands up.
    "Well, thanks. If nothing else I hope you believe me at least that I didn't go around doing that. If I can convince a few more people maybe I'll live."
    This isn't working. He has no clues on how to disrupt the game, and no leads on their Wolves. He can easily talk to Mari without raising suspicion but he can't really talk to everyone. And he can leave Ken out overnight to maybe get a glimpse at who's running around at midnight but that won't save the victims nor will it make the townsfolk trust him on the following morning. He needs something to actually go off of.
    Maybe he should talk to Mari first at least...

22. - Top - End - #262
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"Hm."
    Fudo has no super useful philosophical input here. G'nichi is raising a good point about the outsider trust issue, but the most common ways to resolve that don't really work when you're on a time crunch.
    There's no time to adequately prove himself, the way most would.

"There's always the chance someone else will be more suspicious. Mari's been gone awhile. That kid with Lady Eiko is a mystery. Nemeth is...Nemeth."
    There's a frown with the last name, some deeper-seated dislike for the quiet elf man.
    It is subsequently replaced by a look of exertion as he begins moving the tarped remains into the grave.
    Absentee Spirit

23. - Top - End - #263
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi mentally scoffs at all the suspicious people being the ones that the man doesn't know about rather than those that did anything suspicious today...but he has wanted to check on Mari. And she did seem to be behaving oddly (though he can blame no one for doing so in these circumstances).
    He'll go see if he can find her. No one will think it's suspicious if he talks to her, at least.

24. - Top - End - #264
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Well, today is hard to judge suspicious activity for, isn't it? The only deaths were obscenely unnatural in nature, so there were no other notable crimes to be on the lookout for.
    Just concerned and scared people.

Though, as G'nichi fears, tomorrow is likely to shift this tone rather uncomfortably.

Anyway, back to the dining hall we go, on a search for Mari.
    As he approaches the building, Jeb can be seen leaning against the wall next to the door, already glaring at him.
    "Shouldn't be out alone."
    Absentee Spirit

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ogre in the Playground

G'nichi looks at Jeb quizzically. Is this just a veiled threat, or...?
    "Why? Lady Eiko said the Demons strike at night. As far as the rules she outlined going out in the day is fine as long as I don't wander into the fog. Besides I've been going around talking to everyone and almost everyone else is going by themselves. At least one, two, three..." He makes a show of looking around and then back at Jeb, noting that no one else is here.
    "Four?"

26. - Top - End - #266
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    [Steelbite Canyon]

Magdalene's cavalier attitude towards her own death is certainly putting Calm Reed on edge. It's not exactly something a monk is meant to approve of. Then again, the first friend she met in the Nexus is a flesh-eating ghoul, so is she really in a position to judge? Magdalene seems to be using her condition towards righteous ends. For the moment at least. She's also not quite sure when she was put in charge of this party... but then, it's natural for a Dragon-Blooded.

"The resistance is more than I had anticipated," she admits. "I would rather not get caught in the open when they arrive. Let us retreat somewhere safer and see what our next move should be."
    [Steelbite Canyon]

"Hope she's alright." Atreyu mutters, still looking a little off-colour himself. He's not comfortable with the thought that Magdalene sacrificed herself to protect him. Even if it is, as he hopes, just a temporary setback. "IReckon backing off for now is a good idea. Here, in case they get here 'fore we're outta sight, I can give us a little cover." He mutters, exhaling another cloud of pink smoke, which grows, and grows, and grows, until a sizeable cloud of thick fog blankets much of the area, reducing visibility to near-zero.

"I'll clear it once we're outta sight, now let's get going." He says, swiftly backing away.

[Fort Aegis Resort]

Ambrosia and Thariza emerge into the aforementioned cavern, with its softly illuminated, warm, inviting pool.

For the moment, it's empty, but not for long. Moments after they're out, a larger, distinctly dragon-sized door slides open and-

"Aaaahhhh! Hey, hey, w-watch the tail!" Sylvess stumbles out, copper scales a'gleaming. He's accompanied by a pair of the dragon-babies, brass and silver in colour. In a similar fashion to the earlier leg-climbing incident, the silver one seems to have decided it'd be a good idea to try and climb Sylvess's tail. It's not going well.
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

27. - Top - End - #267
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

"It is a matter of suspicion. People inside know I'm standing here and as far as I know, the only one who should be anywhere by themselves is Fudo, burying those librarians."
    Jeb frowns in his usual irritable fashion and shrugs.
    "Maybe tomorrow everyone will take this more seriously."
    After all, most of the people here haven't actually seen what's left of the librarians, nor did they particularly know them.
    His implication is a pretty clear "when someone they know dies, they won't ignore it anymore".
    Absentee Spirit

28. - Top - End - #268
    Ogre in the Playground

"And...how does that solve anything? The Wolves strike at night. They don't need to go outside in the day to take a victim, and someone watching them in the day doesn't negate that ability. If you were one of the demons for example, you could stand here all day in full view of everyone and it wouldn't really matter." G'nichi phrases that deliberately to see how Jeb reacts to it. Really the man seems far too angry and indignant to be hiding being a wolf. But G'nichi is running out of suspects if Ken's senses are to be believed. Which G'nichi will continue to do unless he talks to everyone and they all seem to truthfully deny being a demon.

29. - Top - End - #269
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Is it possible to look irritable and smug at the same time? Must be.
    "Sure hope you're one of 'em. That'll make this easier for the rest of us."
    It would seem he doesn't plan on elaborating on this to G'nichi.
    Why would he help a potential enemy?
    Absentee Spirit

30. - Top - End - #270
    Ogre in the Playground

"An enemy? Is that what you consider me already, Jeb?" G'nichi takes off his glasses and begins rubbing them with his shirt. They've been rather fogged up for obvious reasons.
    "Unfortunately I'm not. If I was I'd have slit my own throat before being forced to murder someone in cold blood. I've already died once. Of course I get the idea you'll try to kill me tomorrow either way. Or well, you might. Frankly after this morning's display I expect the Demons to go for you first. Do you have a plan for that? How anyone is going to survive if you're taken out? You're the elder. These people look to you for guidance. They'll be lost without you. And it would make a handy scapegoat out of myself." G'nichi fixes a cold glare at him.
    "Because you talk up no one taking this seriously and yet here you are, staring into the fog while the outsider is the one actually talking to everyone and trying to get work done before someone dies. Maybe we could focus on that."