New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default [IC][Journeys through Waterdeep] Episode 1: A city in crisis

Ah, Waterdeep. The sight of its walls means that your journey of travel has ended. The guards at the gate welcomes you and points you to the Inn of TheLost Hawk and that there is a curfew that starts up a little after dusk and night has fallen, lasting to the early parts of morning. That if you are out of doors during the period, you will end up spending the night in jail.

The guards also hand over some parchments, papers that you will be required to have to walk about in other wards of the city. Everything that you see produces in you the feeling that the city is under some kind of stress.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [IC][Journeys through Waterdeep] Episode 1: A city in crisis

Juliana looked in wonder as she got off the wagon, the city was larger than she expected although her father had told her about his adventures in the surrounding area. She grabbed her equipment and strapped her two handed great sword onto her back. Her long red hair flowed down over her chainmail and onto the tabard of a red dragon, her family crest. Her father had dubbed her the Red Rose, when he had retired and gifted her his armor and his sword which he nicknamed the Thorn. Juliana waited for her companion, Jocelyn the knight, who she was sworn to as she was his squire, to get off the wagon. She took the parchment putting it into her coin pouch. She waited patiently looking around for trouble as she was taught.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-03-24 at 09:25 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Jocelyn de Oswald
    Half-Elf Fighter
    AC: 18 HP: 13/13
    PP: 10 PIv: 14 PIs: 10
    Conditions: counts as undead for healing
    Concentration: -

There he was, transported like cattle instead of being treated like one of his rank and file deserves. Jocelyn de Oswald was the bastard son of a large and famous family, a noticable half-breed of the human house of Oswald, with his elven ears and elegant, yet beautiful facial features. Still, his frame was broader than those of usual elves, giving him some sort of unusual but delightful mix of races. His chainmail gleamed in its dark blue hue in the afternoon light, accentuating his long and luscious hair, that the fighter somehow managed not to get entangled in its loops and kinks. His shield was emblazoned with a human skull wearing a winged helmet, no doubt an allure to the deaths of its fallen enemies. At his side, he had a broad sword with said icon at its pommel.

As Jocelyn jumped off the wagon, he looked around for any commitee welcoming him in the city of Waterdeep. Not making his disappointment too obvious to anyone other than his squire, he was instead handed a leaflet allowing him to trespass the city.

You know what, I was not expecting the Open Lord herself to grace me with her presence, but some form of welcoming party would have not gone amiss. he mentions in his somewhat sarcastic, slightly bemused tone. After being introduced to the curfew and only inn, he reluctantly agrees. Oh, I know indignation, but a curfew is something that hits us all. Let us get some rooms, and enjoy our first night on solid ground. For security's sake, we should use a single room, Juliana. He smiles at his squire, struggling to keep his excitement down.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Red hopped of the wagon, stretching his muscles - of which he didn't seem to possess all that many. No-one would have believed in first sight that they were looking at the current arena champion of the Northern Sword Coast. Not with a slight frame and delicate wings like this. Only surprisingly prominent horns and the deep crimson skin made him look somewhat remarkable without anyone going so far as to call him handsome.
    Red lifted a heavy looking sack from the vehicle without apparent effort and followed the others to receive the briefing.
    "Jailing night owls, how cruel. Well, I'll certainly do my very best not to run afoul of the local law enforcement." He smiled unconvincingly.
    "Any particular reason for that measure? In my experience it's bad for entertainment business if people can't enjoy there evenings outside their homes."
    This time a very sour note was in his voice, as he considered what that would mean for his employment prospects.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Gwen hops down off the wagon, stretching her legs, shoulders, and arms. Lean and lithe, she has said little to her traveling companions during their days on the road, and she doesn't add anything now. As she turns toward the Lost Hawk, she eyes the inviting roofline of the city, and the few stars visible in the sky beyond.
    She smiles as Pyrophillios muses, offering a brief "Mmmhm" as she passes him.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(Waterdeep Time is 10:45 am)

A guard at the gate shrugs and replies to Red. "The Masked Lords have declared a curfew due to the recent spate of violence, murders and bombings. The recent murders of several Masked Lords along with a range of citizens from different social standing have alarmed them. The many bombings have killed dozens of people.

The last team of experts tasked with stopping matters claimed that they had succeeded. Turned out to be untrue and they ended up dead.

The City Watch and the other protectors of Waterdeep are working long hours and hard shifts to pursue all possible leads.

Once the Masked Lords are sure it is safe, the curfew will be dropped."

The guards are also giving a similar statement to other members of the caravan who are asking about the curfew.

(Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Troll in the Playground

"Interesting. There wouldn't happen to be a reward if someone were to find the perpetrators and bring them to justice?"
    Red Horns asked with a calculating look. "At least with me, you can be certaint that I'm not the perpetrator, being a known celebrity that only just arrived."
    Again he smiled, showing his sharp teeth and thereby ruining any chance of being perceived friendly.
    "What's your name officer? I mean, should I happen find somethig of note I'd like to share it with a known face. Never hurts to hedge your bet, eh?"

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The guard shrugs, "There is a reward being offered for any information that could help bring those responsible to justice. Finding those responsible and stopping them will bring some reward but I wouldn't know anything about that. I am officer Kermit Winslow.

If you want information, then you should talk with Captain Tatters at the Watch's local precinct #23. The captain can fill you in."

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Sir, maybe we help out. My father was a famous adventurer and he helped the poor. Juliana says looking at Sir Jocelyn.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Jocelyn de Oswald
    Half-Elf Fighter

Jocelyn gave her THAT look. The look that told her, she was stepping out of line but he was somehow accepting it AGAIN for her to do so. The knight sighly deeply, and nodded. Unlike others the half-elf looks at the tiefling I would gladly offer my aid to stop said perpetrators without any monetary reward. He lays his hand onto the tiefling's shoulder. Some people should learn that it is both better for mind and station to have a few good friends in a city where they are new.

Besides the point, it is frowned upon not to introduce yourselves. My name is Ser Jocelyn de Oswald, and this is my squire, knight-errant Juliana de Godfrey. Who might you be? He gestures at the vague group surrounding him.

Turning to officer Winslow, he adds. Can you tell me how much time do we have left to inquire with your captain and how far it is? I

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

"You wound me Sir - I am..." He pointed at his red horns "... the Red Horns, three times Arena Champion of the Northern Sword Coast. And unlike people born to their wealth, I'm working for a living - and for fame. But since fame and famished are uncomfortably close for my taste, I prefer it comes with tidy sums of money. Though I'll gladly accept your share of the reward should we work together in this endeavor - I'd actually welcome your support. Here, a little token for a future fan"
    Taking out a small metal tool, he picked up a flat pebble and tipped the tool to it's surface. At once lines appeared on it, spreading on it and beyond its surface, creating a particularly live like image of Red Horns and a signature: "To my soon to be #1 fan."
    Pointing at the midmorning sun he said: "Considering it's around 10:45, we should have a good 10 hours to get everything done here."

Turning back to the officer: "Thank you, you were most helpful. Have an enchanting day."
    Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-26 at 08:01 AM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Officer Winslow says: "The precinct is two blocks north of the Inn and a block west. The inn is located three blocks north and two blocks east of here. The captain should be in now. I don't know when she finishes but you can go and find out."
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-03-25 at 05:14 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Titan in the Playground

Stepping down from her transport, Madam Hades takes the papers from the guard, the hood of her expensive looking cloak raised up and over face, keeping her hooded in shadows.

She nods at the words of the guards, still not speaking. Instead she listens, something quite a few people have trouble with. Including these fools who think they can solve all the problems of Waterdeep on their first day in the city.

Instead she listens, and she hears that there is a queer mood in the city. A mood like that means that their is coin to be made. In entertainment, in entertaining, and in grifting. Coin always goes far. And so, Madam Hades lifts her case from the cart, hefts her hurdy-gurdy over her shoulder, and goes off toward the inn, and begins to take in the mood and to see what she can do to perhaps make it a bit more interesting. Because in interest, there is profit. And profit means coin for her to stay one step ahead of her former mentor, lover, partner, and betrayed con artist.

Co-Founder of LUTAS.
    For all you lesser superheroes out there.

Custom STO avatar by Durkoala.

A novella about a wizard and a rock star, cross-dimensional travel, and healing wounds neither knew were there.

Spoiler: Online stuffs
    Show
    Lentrax has a Deviantart now, check it out!

Streaming Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 11CST on Twitch.

Follow me on Twitter!

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Red nodded again and slung his sack across his back. "I really need to get this X-D-S project of the ground", he murmured to himself. A few paces away, a boy was selling newspapers and Red splurged, buying two - the Gazette and the Journal.
    "Fascinating - lots to do around here. I like the job about the missing kittens. I'm callling it now - there's a connection to the bombings." He laughed, irrespective of the fact that he hadn't really said anything funny.
    "Let's get that visit to the watch officer sorted out first," he nodded at de Oswald and his Squire, "no time like the present - and after that travel I could do with stretching my wings a bit."

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(Waterdeep time is 11:15am)

The guards at the gate firmly move you along as they are very busy and you have been holding up traffic some.

As you walk through the city, you hears snatches of conversation but nothing that you feel inclined to remember.

However as you pass between some buildings, you hear some grumbling then a voice say: "if you twerps had the your jobs properly then that damned problem wouldn't be all over the newspaper. You were supposed to have some talent with discretion?

(Some kind of mutterings in response)

Right because the last time went so well. You take care of the problem tonight when the seven are in going, you find that the little thief and get back what she stole from us. Am I clear? The Master is very angry that you have managed to interfere with some of the plans.

Do not fail again."

The voices stop speaking.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Jocelyn de Oswald
    Half-Elf Fighter

Jocelyn draws steel and nods to Juliana. He then beckons the others to follow with a bit of distance. May I interject here, dear sir? Who are you, and why do you threaten these obviously upstanding citizens? His voice is dripping with sarcasm, but he was itching for a fight ever since he came here.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Juliana follows suit drawing Thorn her two handed sword. She brings a spell in mind to cast if it is needed but she knows that Sir Jocelyn is not a fighter to be taken lightly. Tempus give me strength that I may vanquish my enemies.
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-03-26 at 05:03 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Looking down the alleyway, you see a group of thugs with a human standing with set of better armor in a semi-circle. They look you over before the human wearing better armor speaks.

"Move along friend, this doesn't concern you." He sneers
    Last edited by russdm; 2021-03-26 at 07:25 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Jocelyn de Oswald
    Half-Elf Fighter

It does concern me now. I will warn you once. Fall to my blade and there is no way back for you. Jocelyn says with a mixture of a threat and mild concern in his voice. As he mentions these words, his blade glows in an eerie red light, as if it heard what was just said.

Spoiler
    Show
    Intimidation (1d20+4)[21]

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

The other thugs turn and run away. The leader regards you coldly, before striding away after his goons.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Troll in the Playground

Sudden flames errupted from the ground before the thugs, cutting off their retreat, as Red raised his hands, holding the same instrument he had used before.
    "Not so fast. And there I thought it would be difficult to get a lead on what's going on here."
    Red smiled and closed in behind the knight, spreading his wings and taking to the air.
    "There is no escape, surrender now."

Spoiler
    Show

Using create bonfire to block their retreat.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

(Waterdeep time is 11:25)
    The leader smirks. "Now you die."

The thugs, faced with their escape being cutoff, take the only other option available to them.

They attack!

One of the thugs casts a spell (Bless) and taps the leader, then themselves and then one of the other thugs.

The leader snarls then closes with Jocelyn. He chops away at Jocelyn. (d20+9)[16]

A thug charges at Juliana, swinging away with a mace, (d20+8)[16]

A thug moves into range and throws a dagger at Jocelyn
    (d20)[10]

A thug (bandit) moves, draws a scimitar and swings away at Juliana, (d20+3)[19]

A thug (bandit) moves and drawing a dagger, flings it at Juliana
    (d20+1)[5]

A thug (bandit) moves and drawing a dagger, flings it at Red Horns. (d20+1)[17]

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

Juliana tries to hit the thug with the mace but misses as he dodges out of the way.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Troll in the Playground

Red winced as the dagger hit his leg. Raising higher to get out of range, he traced the tool across his body. Instantly he felt better - not true healing, but the next best thing that would keep in alive a bit longer. That done, he fumbled in his sack for his crossbow.

Spoiler
    Show

Moving 30ft straight up and casting false live on myself, readying crossbow

(1d4+4)[5]

Last edited by Pyrophilios; 2021-03-27 at 05:48 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Calling on her god Tempus, Juliana takes another swing hitting the thug.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Ser Jocelyn de Oswald
    Half-Elf Fighter

Pushing Juliana slightly out of the way and interjecting his own shield between his lady and the dagger, the warrior advances. Lacking the general elegance of elves, the warrior pushes forward like a trained professional. Interlocked behind his shield, he slashes for the first bandit's vital organs. Even if he thought to only wound them, his weapon seemed to have a different idea.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack (1d20+11)[17]
    Damage (1d8+9)[14]

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Jocelyn tears into the thug with the scimitar who sliced Juliana. The thug drops to the ground dead. [(Grim Death gains 2 points)]

The acolyte continues with the bless.

The leader snarls and swings away at Jocelyn wielding the longsword 2-handed.
    Spoiler: Attacks
    Show

(d20+9)[14]
    (d20+9)[28]

The thug with the mace swings again at Juliana
    Spoiler: Attack
    Show
    (d20+8)[10]

The thug that throw a dagger at Jocelyn moves up and swings a mace at Jocelyn
    Show
    (d20+4)[11]

The thug (Bandit) who throw a dagger at Red Horns draws a scimitar and moves in, slashes at Jocelyn
    Show
    (d20+3)[23]

The thug (Bandit) who throw a dagger at Juliana, draws a scimitar and moves around to attack Juliana
    Show
    (d20+3)[4]

28. - Top - End - #28
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Spoiler: Damage
    Show

For Leader hit: (d10+3)[13]
    For Thug (Bandit) who hit: (d6+1)[7] // Critical Hit (d6)[3]

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Juliana swings her two hander once more at the new threat.
    Spoiler: attack
    Show
    (1d20+5)[8] damage (2d6+7)[18]

She misses and prayed to Tempus for the ability to swing once more.
    Spoiler: second attack
    Show
    [Roll]1d20+5[/Roll] damage [Roll]2d6+7[/Roll]
    Last edited by gryffydd65; 2021-03-27 at 08:23 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

After getting hit, Jocelyn feels something from Grim Death. Then hurts.
    (Jocelyn takes only 12 damage)