New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Default Coming 2 America (2021)

Hey everyone it has been a while since I made my last movie review. I'm going to review Coming 2 America.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Coming 2 America (2021)
    Show
    Set in the lush and royal country of Zamunda, newly-crowned King Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and his trusted confidante Semmi (Arsenio Hall) embark on an all-new hilarious adventure that has them traversing the globe from their great African nation to the borough of Queens, New York - where it all began. King Akeem found his son name Laville and he wants Laville to get married to a princess. He agrees, so Laville and his family went to Zamunda. At first, Laville had to do a few tasks since cutting a lion mane with a pair of scissors and he succeeds. Then he has to go with the very odd traditions so that Laville had to become a prince. He went along with it and he becomes Prince. He met a bathing girl that she told that how the country runs is very unfair and rigid. He likes her. Then Laville met the princess but unfortunately, she doesn't have a mind of her own and he overhears Akeem's true plans that he was using Laville as a scapegoat just to make a peace treaty for his selfish gain. Laville was furious so he takes the bathing girl went back to Queens just to get married. King Akeem returns to Queens just to stop the wedding and he explains how wrong it is to use him. So Laville forgives Akeem and he still wants to marry the bathing girl but instead, they went back to Zamunda and got married. So anyway what I like about the movie it has a mix of comedy and romance in it. What I don't like about the movie the jokes were a bit of a hit and miss. This movie is very decent but it has some potential to make it close to a good movie. So I'll give this movie a 5.5 out of 10 stars.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Coming 2 America (2021)

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Hey everyone it has been a while since I made my last movie review. I'm going to review Coming 2 America.

Spoiler: My Thoughts On Coming 2 America (2021)
    Show
    Set in the lush and royal country of Zamunda, newly-crowned King Akeem (Eddie Murphy) and his trusted confidante Semmi (Arsenio Hall) embark on an all-new hilarious adventure that has them traversing the globe from their great African nation to the borough of Queens, New York - where it all began. King Akeem found his son name Laville and he wants Laville to get married to a princess. He agrees, so Laville and his family went to Zamunda. At first, Laville had to do a few tasks since cutting a lion mane with a pair of scissors and he succeeds. Then he has to go with the very odd traditions so that Laville had to become a prince. He went along with it and he becomes Prince. He met a bathing girl that she told that how the country runs is very unfair and rigid. He likes her. Then Laville met the princess but unfortunately, she doesn't have a mind of her own and he overhears Akeem's true plans that he was using Laville as a scapegoat just to make a peace treaty for his selfish gain. Laville was furious so he takes the bathing girl went back to Queens just to get married. King Akeem returns to Queens just to stop the wedding and he explains how wrong it is to use him. So Laville forgives Akeem and he still wants to marry the bathing girl but instead, they went back to Zamunda and got married. So anyway what I like about the movie it has a mix of comedy and romance in it. What I don't like about the movie the jokes were a bit of a hit and miss. This movie is very decent but it has some potential to make it close to a good movie. So I'll give this movie a 5.5 out of 10 stars.
    One thing though
    Spoiler: Laville's conception
    Show
    It does come across as date-rape at least by Laville's mom.
    Worse that it was (secretly) done under request by his servant, who wanted one night stand for himself or impregnated as "insurance".
    Badly drawn helmet avatar drawn by me.
    Rest in Peace:
    Spoiler
    Show
    Miko Miyazaki, Thanh, Durkon- Order of the Stick
    Krunch- Looking For Group
    Bill- Left 4 Dead
    Soap Mactavish- Modern Warfare 3
    Sandman- Modern Warfare 3
    Ghost and Roach- Modern Warfare 2
    Gabe- Dead Space 2
    Dom- Gears of War 3
    Carmine Brothers- Gears of War series
    Uriel Septim VII- Elderscrolls Oblivion
    Commander Shepherd- Mass Effect 3
    Ned Stark- Song of Ice and Fire
    Apple Jack's parents

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

Might want to put a big spoiler tag on this since it's more of a plot synopsis than a review. What did you think of the acting on display? Did anyone stand out for their performance?
    Tali avatar by the talented Thormag.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Sholos View Post
    Might want to put a big spoiler tag on this since it's more of a plot synopsis than a review. What did you think of the acting on display? Did anyone stand out for their performance?
    Spoiler: My Thoughts On The Acting
    Show
    Their acting was ok. There wasn't anything significant to say about their performance.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

Agreed spoiler tags are needed.

But I can agree in that the movie was a bit lack luster. The comedy, while getting a good chuckle at times, felt it played things to light and really to safe. But given the political climate comedians face today I can't really blame them for that.

My only one real complaint I have was Leslie Jones's performance. I have never cared for her comedy and just don't find her funny.

However, it was awesome to see Wesley Snipes back in form!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Honestly, I never really liked the original, and this was worse. My wife loved the original, did not like this one, and has reconsidered whether the original was any good or not based on it. It seemed very similar to the first one to me, the same type of humor, so someone who was really a fan of the first may like this. But times have changed, and I just don't think it works any more.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GentlemanVoodoo View Post
    Agreed spoiler tags are needed.

But I can agree in that the movie was a bit lack luster. The comedy, while getting a good chuckle at times, felt it played things to light and really to safe. But given the political climate comedians face today I can't really blame them for that.

My only one real complaint I have was Leslie Jones's performance. I have never cared for her comedy and just don't find her funny.

However, it was awesome to see Wesley Snipes back in form!
    I'm happy to see Wesley Snipes back in the movie industry again. Leslie Jones was decent to a little funny in my honest opinion.