New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Default Re: Trashes & Treasures: Older 3rd Party Sourcebooks, a Walking Tour

Quote Originally Posted by Alabenson View Post
    I have a suggestion for a potential subject for review, how about the Iron Kingdoms Character Guide from Privateer Press?
    Spoiler
    Show

Happy New Year everyone!

2. - Top - End - #242
    Bugbear in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Saintheart View Post
    Spoiler
    Show

Happy New Year everyone!
    Not him but iron kingdoms is AMAZING
    Native Sha'ir enthusiast. NO GENIE WARLOCK DOESNT COUNT!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky McDibben View Post
    I am unburdened of my salt, and I rise like a bland-ass potato chip from the ashes of my discontent.
    Rate my homebrew: https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...&postcount=323

3. - Top - End - #243
    Ettin in the Playground

GreenSorcererElf

Quote Originally Posted by Jervis View Post
    Not him but iron kingdoms is AMAZING
    After dredging through it in my quest for magitech I have to disagree- but we can leave that discussion for if/when Saintheart gets to it
    Fizban's Tweaks and Brew: Google Drive (PDF), Thread
    A collection of over 200 pages of individually small bans, tweaks, brews, and rule changes, usable piecemeal or nearly altogether, and even some convenient lists. Everything I've done that I'd call done enough to use in one place (plus a number of things I'm working on that aren't quite done, of course).
    Quote Originally Posted by Violet Octopus View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fizban View Post
    sheer awesomeness

4. - Top - End - #244
    Barbarian in the Playground

Nice to know that there's a list
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

5. - Top - End - #245

The only third party book I personally own in paper is "Ultimate Character Concepts". I don't feel like I'm qialified to review it, unfortunately.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

Planetar

Honestly if people are minded to throw up their own 3rd party reviews, so long as it conforms to the format I set out in all my previous ones for consistency, I'd be happy to edit the front of the thread to reflect the additions. This is a much bigger task than I first thought and I really think there at least some interesting gems out there which do deserve some light back in the sun.

As for being qualified to review something? You don't need qualifications. I'm not the least bit qualified to review this stuff, nobody is, they're just personal reflections and subjective assessments, as I set out at the start of the thread. Everything here remains caveat emptor and there are certainly others here to "correct" an "incorrect" opinion I or anyone else might have.

And I haven't forgotten this thread - it's just been a hectic time recently, I will be coming back to it ASAP.

7. - Top - End - #247

Devil

Honestly if people are minded to throw up their own 3rd party reviews, so long as it conforms to the format I set out in all my previous ones for consistency, I'd be happy to edit the front of the thread to reflect the additions. This is a much bigger task than I first thought and I really think there at least some interesting gems out there which do deserve some light back in the sun.

As for being qualified to review something? You don't need qualifications. I'm not the least bit qualified to review this stuff, nobody is, they're just personal reflections and subjective assessments, as I set out at the start of the thread. Everything here remains caveat emptor and there are certainly others here to "correct" an "incorrect" opinion I or anyone else might have.

And I haven't forgotten this thread - it's just been a hectic time recently, I will be coming back to it ASAP.
    There have been times I've been tempted to review things, but any time I start thinking about what I would write, it always turns into "this is how you can use this feature to become Pun-Pun". I suspect I would need to DM more/ever to be able to give a less munchkiny review.

8. - Top - End - #248

Honestly, I wrote this because the 45 days were looming
    But I just realised there's a second third party book I own. Maybe I will review this one. It is extremly obscure, but feels relevant.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Ogre in the Playground

Book of Eldritch Might (I'm unsure which) has the spell bolt of conjuration which does damage with no save and no SR. Metamagic that baby up for irresistible pain!

And then I saw it was called bolt of conjuring and it's BoEM 1.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2022-03-06 at 06:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

10. - Top - End - #250
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Saintheart

As for being qualified to review something? You don't need qualifications. I'm not the least bit qualified to review this stuff, nobody is, they're just personal reflections and subjective assessments, as I set out at the start of the thread.
    As it happens, I just picked up Cry Havoc by Skip Williams, writing for Malhavoc Press. I've only started reading, but I'd been thinking about doing a review along the lines of what you've been doing here.

And not needing qualifications is a definite plus. I got none.

11. - Top - End - #251

RogueGuy

I have an old book by AEG called Dragons. I have used some of it in some games, it has a bit of a mix of good and bad stuff in it. It was released before 3.5 came out though. Not sure how well I would actually be able to review it though.
    the first half of the meaning of life is that there isn't one.