New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

BardGirl

d20 Warlock powers in 3.5

Hello! Correct me if I'm wrong, but as far as I know, in Dungeons & Dragons 3.5e, warlocks works with magic the same way as other arcane casters - through touching the Weave. However, it is impossible not to notice the "dark" orientation of the warlock's invocations - all his magic refers to the Nine Hells or has a "dark" theme . So, from lore's point of view, what is the source of the warlock's magic in the 3e? And how can a warlock with a good alignment have access to the dark magic of this class? Bring down all the power of lore and fluff on me, please, I need it right now!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Re: Warlock powers in 3.5

The Weave is very much a Forgotten Realms thing, not necessarily part of the entirety of D&D. Warlocks come out of the book Complete Arcane, and the source of their power is described as the result of pacts made with extraplanar creatures - either by themselves or someone earlier in their lineage.

The alignment is listed as any evil or any chaotic - so you could easily have a Chaotic Good Warlock. "Many" are supposed to be the result of pacts with devils, fiends, and other dark powers, but that doesn't exclude the possibility of a Warlock being a channel or having a pact with good or neutral extraplanar entities.

I've always wanted to play one, just never got around to it since there are other classes I love more.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Complete Mage page 6 lists a number of possible warlock power sources: demons and devils are one way, but fey and even slaadi and celestials also get mentioned. Basically, if it's an outsider or fey that commonly takes on Evil or Chaotic alignments, it's fair game.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Join the new Junkyard Wars round and build with Cloaked Dancer and a companion creature!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

There are 3 avenues for the sources of their power: being the descendant of a supernatural trafficker, forming a pact with a supernatural power, or simply being "chosen" as a conduit or tool. As for the source of magic, Complete Mage lists a few beings with the capability of granting a warlock's power ranging from evil to chaotic to good. "Dark" doesn't only mean "evil." It could also mean something likely to bring misfortune as well (hence chaotic).

5. - Top - End - #5
    Firbolg in the Playground

(Have I mentioned yet today how dumb I find the notion that LN Warlocks are impossible by RAW, whereas CG ones can just run around all day with Devil-themed ****? So unfair, so nonsensical.)

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    (Have I mentioned yet today how dumb I find the notion that LN Warlocks are impossible by RAW, whereas CG ones can just run around all day with Devil-themed ****? So unfair, so nonsensical.)
    Like how there aren't any lawful barbarians and bards?

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Don't think of the Weave as a source of power: Power has all of the same sources in Faerun as it does in any D&D world, and the outer planes and powerful entities are a perfectly valid source of power. Rather, the Weave is what connects everything, and allows that power to be used.
    Time travels in divers paces with divers persons.
    As You Like It, III:ii:328

Chronos's Unalliterative Skillmonkey Guide
    Current Homebrew: 5th edition psionics

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I'm reading Complete Arcane and it says Warlocks are often Chaotic or Evil. To me, the word "often" means while it's generally the case, it doesn't necessitate that every Warlock has to be Chaotic or Evil.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by pabelfly View Post
    I'm reading Complete Arcane and it says Warlocks are often Chaotic or Evil. To me, the word "often" means while it's generally the case, it doesn't necessitate that every Warlock has to be Chaotic or Evil.
    The class itself requires being chaotic or evil to progress, like barbarian and bard needs to not be lawful.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

It was always my assumption that the CG ones were from a different planar pact than the Devil-themed ones. I could see a Fae powered warlock being a very chaotic good type.

To that end, I do agree that there are likely in any campaign world Lawful powers that would make a deal and make some Lawful Warlocks. I always thought it would be better set like Clerics where you needed to be within one step of your pact source.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AnonJr View Post
    It was always my assumption that the CG ones were from a different planar pact than the Devil-themed ones. I could see a Fae powered warlock being a very chaotic good type.

To that end, I do agree that there are likely in any campaign world Lawful powers that would make a deal and make some Lawful Warlocks. I always thought it would be better set like Clerics where you needed to be within one step of your pact source.
    I've basically come to the conclusion that the alignment restrictions come down to one or both of these: either the designers for the class were operating under the interpretation that being chaotic was like being slightly evil or they wanted non-evil Warlocks to be actively trying to subvert their pacts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nifft View Post
    All Roads Lead to Gnome.

I for one support the Gnoman Empire.

Spoiler: Build Contests
    Show

E6 Iron Chef XVI Shared First Place: Black Wing

E6 Iron Chef XXI Shared Second Place: The Shadow's Hand

12. - Top - End - #12
    Titan in the Playground

In case it helps, I wrote up a quick homebrew fix to mechanically represent different types of warlock origin.

Spoiler
    Show
    Alternative Pacts

Level: 1st
    Replaces: This benefit modifies the damage reduction class feature and the normal alignment restriction for the warlock class.
    Benefit: Your arcane power reflects the patron that granted it. Depending on the source of your pact, you may have a different type of damage reduction and/or alignment.

Patron
    Damage Reduction
    Alignment
    Celestial DR/evil Any good
    Daelkyr DR/byeshk CN, CE, NE, or LE
    Devil DR/silver Any nongood, nonchaotic
    Elder Evil DR/good Any evil
    Elemental DR/magic, and
    increase DR by 1
    Any
    Fey DR/cold iron Any
    Deathless DR/targath Any nonevil
    Demon DR/cold iron Any nongood, nonlawful
    Yugoloth DR/good Any nongood

At your option, your invocations may also change to visually resemble the magic typically associated with your patron. For example, a celestial pact results in invocations that are bright and beautiful, while a pact with a fire elemental results in invocations that resemble flames, smoke, or lava. This change is purely cosmetic and has no mechanical effect.

It's extrapolated from the Dragon Magazine article that mentions changing the DR from cold iron to byeshk for warlocks with aberrant patrons.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2024-05-12 at 07:50 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Troacctid, that looks nice. I may have to copy that into my notebook of fun homebrews for future reference.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It's extrapolated from the Dragon Magazine article that mentions changing the DR from cold iron to byeshk for warlocks with aberrant patrons.
    Do you remember the issue number there? I have most of the issues through that era, but I don't recall eberron-specific warlock advice, I ate that stuff up in the day.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Do you remember the issue number there? I have most of the issues through that era, but I don't recall eberron-specific warlock advice, I ate that stuff up in the day.
    Dragon #332, "Touched by Madness".

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Darg View Post
    Like how there aren't any lawful barbarians and bards?
    Well, yes, but no. I mean, given their signature ability ("Barbarians harness the power of strong emotions to turn into reckless engines of destruction!!"), they'd have the same problem as Warlocks if the developers then drew the "logical" conclusion that "therefore, they can be Lawful Good, but not Chaotic Neutral" (cf. the CG Warlcok spamming Devil's Sight and Swimming the Styx, which is as RAW as it gets).

Bards, on the other hand… I'll probably never get past the fact that it provides the perfect basis for building a Troubadour – until you realise that the intiricate and insanely Lawful social game termed as courtly love that the mindset of those revolves around meshes rather poorly with "Non-Lawful or get the heck out".

That CG is an avauilable option is somewhat incongruous, given the flavour (and sometimes, nature) of Warlock abilities, but it doesn't bother me as much as, yeah, how a LE deity might, by RAW, have a LN Cleric or Favoured Soul as high in the church hierarchy as one pleases to place 'em, but LN Warlocks are somehow impoosible.

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    In case it helps, I wrote up a quick homebrew fix to mechanically represent different types of warlock origin.

Troacctid, that looks nice. I may have to copy that into my notebook of fun homebrews for future reference.
    Seconding that. This is very much appreciated.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, yes, but no. I mean, given their signature ability ("Barbarians harness the power of strong emotions to turn into reckless engines of destruction!!"), they'd have the same problem as Warlocks if the developers then drew the "logical" conclusion that "therefore, they can be Lawful Good, but not Chaotic Neutral" (cf. the CG Warlcok spamming Devil's Sight and Swimming the Styx, which is as RAW as it gets).

Bards, on the other hand… I'll probably never get past the fact that it provides the perfect basis for building a Troubadour – until you realise that the intiricate and insanely Lawful social game termed as courtly love that the mindset of those revolves around meshes rather poorly with "Non-Lawful or get the heck out".

That CG is an avauilable option is somewhat incongruous, given the flavour (and sometimes, nature) of Warlock abilities, but it doesn't bother me as much as, yeah, how a LE deity might, by RAW, have a LN Cleric or Favoured Soul as high in the church hierarchy as one pleases to place 'em, but LN Warlocks are somehow impoosible.
    How do warlocks get their power? From some point where they or their ancestors bargained for or were randomly "chosen" as an instrument or tool from beings that want to use the warlock, ancestor, or bloodline for their own ends.

The point being that chaotic entities or evil ones are the only sources of power. The source of a warlock's power is more chaotic than a sorcerer's as a sorcerer can still learn spells from scrolls. There's a semblance of structure. Warlocks on the other hand can't even do that and much more about willing the power to take shape and that just isn't structured. It doesn’t make sense to you probably because you aren't seeing alignment as being real and instead as a concept.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

How do warlocks get their power? From some point where they or their ancestors bargained for or were randomly "chosen" as an instrument or tool from beings that want to use the warlock, ancestor, or bloodline for their own ends.

The point being that chaotic entities or evil ones are the only sources of power. The source of a warlock's power is more chaotic than a sorcerer's as a sorcerer can still learn spells from scrolls. There's a semblance of structure. Warlocks on the other hand can't even do that and much more about willing the power to take shape and that just isn't structured. It doesn’t make sense to you probably because you aren't seeing alignment as being real and instead as a concept.
    Sorcerers in 3.5 don't have the ability to learn directly from scrolls, in the base rules. Not anywhere I've seen.

19. - Top - End - #19

Sorcerers in 3.5 don't have the ability to learn directly from scrolls, in the base rules. Not anywhere I've seen.
    Yep. Their only way of expanding their repertoire beyond their standard allotment that I know of is taking that Extra Spell feat – which notably does have an equivalent for Warlocks.

Well, the notion that a LN creature would never make such a pact or a LE entity would only choose to empower "Chaotic or Evil" creatures in such a way because alignment is real must be the oddest take on how Warlock elignment works I've ever seen.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PHB
    These new spells can be common spells chosen from the sorcerer/wizard spell list (page 192), or they can be unusual spells that the sorcerer has gained some understanding of by study. For example, a sorcerer with a scroll or spellbook detailing an unusual sorcerer/wizard spell (one not on the sorcerer/wizard spell list in this book) could select that spell as one of his new spells for attaining a new level, provided that it is of the right spell level. The sorcerer can’t use this method of spell acquisition to learn spells at a faster rate, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by PHB, pg 179
    With the DM’s permission, sorcerers and bards can also select the spells they gain from new and unusual spells that they have gained some understanding of (see Spells in the sorcerer description, page 54).

For instance, when Hennet the sorcerer becomes 2nd level, he gains an additional 0-level spell. He can pick that spell from the 0-level spells on the sorcerer and wizard spell list, or he might have learned an unusual spell from an arcane scroll or spellbook.
    It's basically a thematic way for sorcerers and bards to learn spells not on the normal spell lists.