New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: OOTS Dreams

1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Default OOTS Dreams

Have you guys ever had dreams about this comic and its characters? I have.

Because I really like this comic, it was only a matter of time before my dreams started getting invaded by these silly little stickdudes.

I've had two dreams about The Order of the Stick. So far, at least.

The first dream I had about them took place in this neon replica of New York City, but it had been flooded so people were just riding boats in the streets like it was Venice. The Order members were going on nautical adventures with these burly pirate shark men, and one of them was flirting with Durkon. Then V was strapped to an operating table and had their robe removed, where it turns out that they were a humanoid robot all along, because they had mechanical joints underneath their skin. (inb4 people ask "but was v a GIRL robot or a BOY robot?")

Rich Burlew then announced that the events taking place would be the eighth book in the series, and that the story would end at the ninth book. It really makes no sense considering that as of writing we're on Book 7, but okay. Other stuff happened in that dream, but since it's not really OOTS-related I won't bring it up.

Dream 2 felt a little shorter to me. I was the leader of the Linear Guild. I don't know how Nale felt about that, because he never spoke the entire time. In fact, none of the other LG members did. All the members were the OG LG, Yikyik and Zz'dtri and Hilgya included. But there was a twist. The party had two additional members, who were B1 battle droids from Star Wars. Why? Who knows! It was a dream, stuff like that doesn't matter. I asked Zz'dtri to teleport the gang somewhere, and he did... right onto a desert planet being invaded by the other CIS droids. The two droids in the party with us joined the battle and left us behind. Shame.

They both were very odd and bizarre dreams.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground

MonkGuy

Default Re: OOTS Dreams

Every so often I’ll have a dream about it, but it usually boils down to dreaming about reading further along in the comic. Unfortunately I rarely remember any specific details beyond that.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Today I had another dream. It was basically the events of the Godsmoot, but the place was yellow and decorated with pastel easter eggs. Nobody really mentioned them.

Easter's coming around, so I think that's why I dreamt it.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

I can't recall any right now, but I know I've had dreams where I'm reading new OOTS content that goes in wildly different directions than it actually does.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

I have all sorts of weird dreams. Like the other night I dreamt about a pair of horses. We didn't know where to put them so we rented a hotel room for them. They looked so cute under those fine quilts and they went straight off to sleep.

I often dream about board games I am playing.

But I have never dreamt about OOTS.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-03-30 at 01:21 PM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

6. - Top - End - #6

Okay I finally had a dream that was briefly about OOTS. (Most of it was about a boardgame).

It was the end of some battle scene between the Order and Xykon. All of the order were knocked out as was Xykon. (I don't know how the latter bit works and there was no mention of the phylactery.) Anyway someone came along and started feeding Xykon to a giant snake who crushed his bones.

So then it switched to a place where Xykon was in a lift to the afterlife. Outside of the lift was an enormous number of spirits all waiting to rip Xykon's spirit to shreds. Particularly prominent was a humanoid tiger spirit like one that used to advertise a breakfast cereal.

One thing I noticed is that the dream did not feel very OOTSish in its visual presentation. A lot more life-like and only a little cartoonish.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-04-03 at 03:26 AM.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

7. - Top - End - #7

GreataxeFighterGirl

I remembered that Redcloak and Durkon's conversation several strips back was pretty intense, not only for the story but also the fact that there was a wait of around two weeks in between each release.

At that time, I had also rewatched IT with a family member. The dream was that Redcloak and Durkon were still at the table, but then a bunch of red balloons floated in. None of the characters reacted. And I think the dream ended when all the red balloons went into that bugbear hut and Durkon just straight-up gets off his chair and follows them.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Haha this is the second thread I've seen in a few months about OOTS dreams.

I have had many dreams about OOTS over the years, particularly in the last3 to 5 years. I've written down many. Recording dreams is a regular to semi-regular practice of mine.

For me, the dreams sometimes involve characters and certain scenes. Although, I have had at least a few dreams that are directly about Rich. Sometimes I'm talking to him or asking him questions. I think this is because I am personally intrigued by Rich's personality. Someone who is able to hold such a complex and deep story, yet have it be so simultaneously light and humorous. And, additionally, the element of bringing in deep spiritual truths and philosophical questions that let the characters (and readers) self reflect, is quite amazing. Often, I feel I can hear Rich in the background of the comic contemplating these big questions himself and creatively showing the characters bumble their way through life's great mysteries.

If you are dreaming about OOTS or Rich, it is significant. I think most all dreams are significant somehow. That doesn't mean we have to obsess about them, but it pays to look a little deeper instead of writing them off as nonsense. More accurately, dreams are a higher level of "sense" that only looks like nonsense to our current level of understanding.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I've dreamed about reading new strips that hadn't actually come out before, and been a bit jarred when I woke up and found that they didn't exist. Although the only one I remember in any detail was actually for a fancomic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    Particularly prominent was a humanoid tiger spirit like one that used to advertise a breakfast cereal.
    Fun fact: Tony the Tiger is actually a villain in the Dragon magazine continuity. Coincidence??
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    And I think the dream ended when all the red balloons went into that bugbear hut and Durkon just straight-up gets off his chair and follows them.
    Haha, that's very rude of him, just getting up in the middle of diplomatic negotiations just to follow some balloons. Well, it is a lot more diplomatic compared to what RC did.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Last night I dreamed that Serini was confirmed to be level 14. Very strange. I remember being confused about how that was even possible, but hey, whatevs.
    Number of Character Appearances VII - To Absent Friends

Currently playing a level 20 aasimar necromancer named Zebulun Salathiel and a level 9 goliath diviner named Lo-Kag.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Player: Bob twists the vault door super hard, that should open it.
    DM: Why would you think that?
    Player: Well, Bob thinks it. And since Bob has high Int and Wis, and a lot of points in Dungeoneering, he would probably know a thing or two about how to open vault doors.
    Ah yes, the Dungeon-Kruger effect.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Emanick View Post
    Last night I dreamed that Serini was confirmed to be level 14. Very strange. I remember being confused about how that was even possible, but hey, whatevs.
    Maybe it's referring to her level of emotional maturity. I'd say based on her recent sarcastic comments and mocking smacks of her stick on the paladins, she probably is less socially developed in certain ways that the OOTSers are moreso.

Although, her ability to relate to trolls and other disempowered species gives her big points in other ways. This isn't the thread for it but we may see her form some kind of a bond with Redcloak or the bugbears over it. Heck, maybe she even is already friends with the bugbears.

EDIT: There may be some kind of symbolism with the number "14" that is specific to you or is a multilayered indicator of something else completely.
    Last edited by DreamCreator; 2021-04-13 at 02:30 PM.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCreator View Post
    Maybe it's referring to her level of emotional maturity. I'd say based on her recent sarcastic comments and mocking smacks of her stick on the paladins, she probably is less socially developed in certain ways that the OOTSers are moreso.

Although, her ability to relate to trolls and other disempowered species gives her big points in other ways. This isn't the thread for it but we may see her form some kind of a bond with Redcloak or the bugbears over it. Heck, maybe she even is already friends with the bugbears.

EDIT: There may be some kind of symbolism with the number "14" that is specific to you or is a multilayered indicator of something else completely.
    Clearly it's 24 and they misread.

I've seen plenty of old people who are able to wield sarcasm and wit like a rapier, so I'd say she's not less "socially developed" and more somewhat arrogant and assuming she knows what's really going on.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

14. - Top - End - #14
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    Clearly it's 24 and they misread.

DM: "Oops, I read my NPC character sheet wrong, let's reroll everything assuming level 24, not 14"

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I've seen plenty of old people who are able to wield sarcasm and wit like a rapier, so I'd say she's not less "socially developed" and more somewhat arrogant and assuming she knows what's really going on.
    I see your point.

And, I consider arrogance to be, in of itself, an expression of a less developed social skill. Granted, sometimes expressions which seem arrogant might not be, but only seem so in interpretation.

Arrogance is insecurity, hidden behind a facade of confidence.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ettin in the Playground

Last year I had a dream I got the final book in the mail, but I had stopped reading online so almost all of it was going to be new for me. Someone asked me what I ordered so I was giving a brief explanation of what OOTS was about and flipped through the book to show them the art style, but in doing so I had accidentally spoiled some major twist that occurs about halfway through the book. I think it was the OOTS working together with Redcloak. I mostly just remember being very bummed out about it.
    THE SCRYING EYE AT THE END OF STRIP #698 WAS ZZ'DTRI'S (SOURCE)

16. - Top - End - #16
    Dwarf in the Playground

I've had dreams about it in the past, but I can't remember them at the moment...
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

17. - Top - End - #17

Lizardfolk

I just woke up from one which was vaguely coherent. In the dream, Haley reached epic levels, and there was a news post announcing her as such and that she'd get the first epic story spin-off, set after the events of the main comic. There was a lot of speculation on the forum about what it could mean, but because she was an Epic Rogue, it amounted to little more than a costume change.

18. - Top - End - #18

Quote Originally Posted by Riftwolf View Post
    I just woke up from one which was vaguely coherent. In the dream, Haley reached epic levels, and there was a news post announcing her as such and that she'd get the first epic story spin-off, set after the events of the main comic. There was a lot of speculation on the forum about what it could mean, but because she was an Epic Rogue, it amounted to little more than a costume change.
    I suspect you may be remembering it slightly wrong. I think Haley became an Epic Rouge but it was only a cosmetic change.

Anyway I think I had another one recently where Xykon was playing a boardgame. But I don't really remember it. The bit I do remember is thinking "Oh I am dreaming about OOTS. I can report that to the forum." And then I forgot anything worth reporting.
    Last edited by Mad Humanist; 2021-04-19 at 12:14 PM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Firbolg in the Playground

Okay, here's a new one. Roy was in some fortified city besieged by Xykon whining about things repeating themselves and resolving that he cannot fail this time (like he did in Azure City). Then there was a fight scene during which he and Miko duelled in the sky with longspears from the back of flying creatures somewhere between a griffon and a large bat. The details are not quite clear, but at the end Xykon was about to win the battle, but instead he just left to everyone's surprise. After that, a map was shown with hundreds of colour-coded factions and states marked on it, including an Azurite resistance group controlling a strip of land along the coast of the Southern Continent.
    Meanwhile, Elan reunited with her mother who was revealed to actually be Sigdi, and she told him she was about to remarry. Elan suggested at length that she should marry some rakshasa who's always been a father figure to him somehow, but then a shapeshifting anthropomorphic eagle got involved and lured him to a small island south of Madagascar where the eagle (who was shown to have survived being submerged in lava by the Order before) turned into a huge glossy blackgrey ball standing on four legs and grinned at Elan ominously in front of a large warehouse.
    Meanwhile Sabine dressed up in a shark costume killed a diver in a reportedly very dangerous lake within the borders of a port city built on a large rocky hill. There was something at the bottom of the lake the Order (or, rather, the members present there) wanted to retrieve, as did the leadership of the city. However, instead of working on that, Haley was out at the sea using the heads of various sea critters (including a dolphin) as stepping stones while running away from two or three large, green and globular sea monsters which she identified as cacti and which she wanted to recruit for some reason.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2021-04-20 at 07:40 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Okay, here's a new one. Roy was in some fortified city besieged by Xykon whining about things repeating themselves and resolving that he cannot fail this time (like he did in Azure City). Then there was a fight scene during which he and Miko duelled in the sky with longspears from the back of flying creatures somewhere between a griffon and a large bat. The details are not quite clear, but at the end Xykon was about to win the battle, but instead he just left to everyone's surprise. After that, a map was shown with hundreds of colour-coded factions and states marked on it, including an Azurite resistance group controlling a strip of land along the coast of the Southern Continent.
    Meanwhile, Elan reunited with her mother who was revealed to actually be Sigdi, and she told him she was about to remarry. Elan suggested at length that she should marry some rakshasa who's always been a father figure to him somehow, but then a shapeshifting anthropomorphic eagle got involved and lured him to a small island south of Madagascar where the eagle (who was shown to have survived being submerged in lava by the Order before) turned into a huge glossy blackgrey ball standing on four legs and grinned at Elan ominously in front of a large warehouse.
    Meanwhile Sabine dressed up in a shark costume killed a diver in a reportedly very dangerous lake within the borders of a port city built on a large rocky hill. There was something at the bottom of the lake the Order (or, rather, the members present there) wanted to retrieve, as did the leadership of the city. However, instead of working on that, Haley was out at the sea using the heads of various sea critters (including a dolphin) as stepping stones while running away from two or three large, green and globular sea monsters which she identified as cacti and which she wanted to recruit for some reason.
    ...Wow. What a dream. Reading this was an experience.

I'm cackling at the idea of Sabine wearing a shark costume and Elan & Durkon being siblings.

21. - Top - End - #21

To me this reads much more like a prediction for what will happen in the very next strip than a dream.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Yeah, I think this wins Best OOTS Dream. I think I laughed out loud at the idea of Elan wanting his mom to marry a rakshasa who's "always been a father figure to him somehow."

I hope Rich reads this, I bet he'd get a kick out of it.
    Last edited by Emanick; 2021-04-21 at 07:11 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

You are quite a vivid dreamer!

24. - Top - End - #24
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Robots View Post
    ...Wow. What a dream. Reading this was an experience.

I'm cackling at the idea of Sabine wearing a shark costume and Elan & Durkon being siblings.
    Yeah, I think this wins Best OOTS Dream. I think I laughed at loud at the idea of Elan wanting his mom to marry a rakshasa who's "always been a father figure to him somehow."
    Glad you like it! I mostly just found it… Well, confusing afterwards.

I hope Rich reads this, I bet he'd get a kick out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    To me this reads much more like a prediction for what will happen in the very next strip than a dream.
    Why do I find this prospect unsettling?

Quote Originally Posted by DreamCreator View Post
    You are quite a vivid dreamer!
    Yeah. This one morphed into another in which I was a Russian diplomat (?) monitoring the presidential election (??) in Indonesia (???). Or something like that.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Pixie in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I just had a OOTS/Rich dream this morning. And then when I woke I saw there was a new comic!

The main part about it was that in this dream I saw Rich as much younger guy than I usually have. We were in some group social space and I wanted to tell him I've been reading his comic a long time - over ten years. I eventually did - as he is sort of walking around. He seemed to appreciate that but not want to make a big deal of it. When I said it I also felt this huge rush of energy that felt really good and overwhelming at the same time in a sort of emotional way.

I'm not sure what it means or implies, I'm not one to get starstruck. The feeling wasn't quite that, it was something that just felt so right or impactful on my own system, to tell him that I really appreciate his work.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Imp

Okay, this morning I woke up from a new dream involving OOTS.

The Giant published several strips at once, and they were all leading up to Roy getting into a boxing ring (where a bunch of zombies were) to fight Redcloak, but then RC unleashed a beast into the ring that was Miladox, from the comic Tails Gets Trolled.

Then in the final strip posted, the art style turned sketchy and angular, and it turned out the entire comic was a game being played by the livestreamer Jerma985. But it was being played in-universe, like within the strip.

Then I woke up.
    Last edited by Robots; 2021-05-04 at 07:30 AM.
    Shh! I'm hiding.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

ClericGirl

I can't recall having an OOTS dream. It doesn't mean I haven't possibly had some.
    Proud member of the Vaarsuvius Fan Club.
    -Hey, V, how much do you know about spirits?
    -In order for one to enjoyably consume Aged Dwarven Brandy, possession of two livers is a necessity.