Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 40 of 40 FirstFirst ... 153031323334353637383940
Results 1,171 to 1,191 of 1191
  1. - Top - End - #1171
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Which reminds me, I need to see if I can find a place which has the 2019 BBC version.

Also the classic TV adaption of Day of the Triffids. I loved that book, and want to see what a relatively faithful adaptation can do with it.

Side note, I hate how the version of Day of the Daleks on BritBox is the special edition. It's the only story which this is true for, except of course for Shada where the original version was never finished, and I love seeing the episodes as they were originally aired. Yes there's a lot of bad things about the original version, but it really rubs me thw wrong way when every other episode has the original special effects and voices no matter how bad.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

2. - Top - End - #1172
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    13 minutes, 30 seconds. Already shaved a full minute off yesterday's run, which itself beat the required time. Booyakasha.

Can't stop training though. Can't stop won't stop never stop.
    Hey that's great! I'm proud of you man!

My dad and I just went under the 5min20s a kilometer bar today, last summer we were above 6min (on a run that's just shy of 8 kilometers).

Tired, but proud!
    Last edited by Fyraltari; Yesterday at 03:47 PM.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Mage avatar by smutmulch.

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

3. - Top - End - #1173
    Titan in the Playground

I've had my two Moderna covid-19 vaccine shots and I repeat my standing offer of a beer or coffee in or near the south of Market area of San Francisco at about 4PM Monday to Friday, or in or near the flats of Berkeley about 5PM, also earlier in the day within 40 miles of S.F. if you let me know a week ahead of time, my treat. I should also have two motorcycles garaged in San Francisco, so a loaner bike will be available.
    I'm not available much on weekends or later in the evenings yet, if I ever am it would likely be in 2025 or afterwards.
    Extended Sig
    D&D Alignment history
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeJ View Post
    Does the game you play feature a Dragon sitting on a pile of treasure, in a Dungeon?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ninja_Prawn View Post
    You're an NPC stat block."I remember when your race was your class you damned whippersnappers"
    Snazzy Avatar by Honest Tiefling!

4. - Top - End - #1174
    Colossus in the Playground

Every so often in a work of fiction, you see someone sleeping while sitting upright on a throne or similarly designed chair.

That can't possibly be comfortable, can it?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here

Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1175

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Every so often in a work of fiction, you see someone sleeping while sitting upright on a throne or similarly designed chair.

It, generally, is not. Chairs are not for sleeping.

Back to normal Zodi avatars for awhile.
    Sig Banner by Pinkhaired August. No Regrets.

6. - Top - End - #1176
    Titan in the Playground

There's a reason that my work uses wheelable armchairs for significantly limited residents. It's not confident as a general rule, but a properly designed reclining ambassador can make it confidante enough for daytime use (but do help them get into bed if you can).

Of course in fiction ist's a shorthand for extreme tiredness or advanced age, is not meant to be overly realistic. I'm fairly certain that most thrones aren't designed for slouching , but you can't really get away with sitting straight while you're holding a skull filled with your enemy's blood.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

7. - Top - End - #1177
    Titan in the Playground

Nope, it can't!

recently I've had superhero ideas like:
    -Lo-fi Lass, who uses mostly music based inventions to fight crime by putting criminals to sleep with the music she fires from her bracers
    -Miss Moment: the momentary improv poor counterpart to Batman, has a mutant/psychic ability to hyper-improvise from pure intuition out of nowhere, but can't make anything lasting, any weapons she makes from scrap soon break, and any inventions she cobbles together often fall apart after a couple uses.
    -Mismatch: a chimeric, amalgam-like hero who is supposed to be something like a mythical chimera like with a chaotic asymmetrical biology, I think it needs some more definition to work though.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

8. - Top - End - #1178

[QUOTE=Lord Raziere;25051128]Miss Moment: the momentary improv poor counterpart to Batman, has a mutant/psychic ability to hyper-improvise from pure intuition out of nowhere, but can't make anything lasting, any weapons she makes from scrap soon break, and any inventions she cobbles together often fall apart after a couple uses.]/QUOTE]

So... McGuyver?

I now have the mental image of a "Batman" type superhero who fights crime by using his vast fortune to privatize certain institutions and reform them in ways that reduce the need for people to become criminals, reduce recidivism rates, and improves general quality of life.

Basically, he's just a guy like Bruce Wayne who effectively has infinite money to work with, but instead of splitting time between philanthropy and beating up mentally ill criminals, he just goes full philanthropist throwing his infinite money wherever it can do the most good.

He never goes on patrol or anything...

But he's always dressed up in tights, trunks, and a cape. No secret identity, he's just wearing a stereotypical superhero outfit at all times. In his office running his business, he's in costume. Chilling out at home, in costume, meeting with the mayor to discuss campaign contributions, in costume. Seeing his therapist to deal with the trauma of seeing his parents murdered in front of him as a chils, in costume.

Other superheroes exist in the setting, and he's just putting them to shame because he's addressing the systemic issues and coordinating proper responses... But he's very friendly with them and doesn't draw attention to it and is always willing to spot them a few million dollars to upgrade their equipment with no expectation that he'll get it back.

His city is just one of the best places to live because of his efforts.

He's just... Anti-Batman.

(Though, being fair to Bruce, in multiple continuities it's canon that there are Lazarus pits in Gotham leaching Lazarus compound into the water supply. Not enough to be easily noticeable but years of drinking and bathing it Lazarus tainted water means that everyone in Gotham is more prone to insanity, instability, than the world average and everyone has a mild healing factor.)

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #1179
    Titan in the Playground

[QUOTE=Rater202;25051135]
    Miss Moment: the momentary improv poor counterpart to Batman, has a mutant/psychic ability to hyper-improvise from pure intuition out of nowhere, but can't make anything lasting, any weapons she makes from scrap soon break, and any inventions she cobbles together often fall apart after a couple uses.]/QUOTE]

So... McGuyver?
    1. Never watched that show

2. its live action and not really the kind of superhero action I'd want, too low key

3. its spy fiction, which is a different genre from superheroes

As for your idea....so just an eccentric rich dude who uses his wealth for good? thats not a superhero Rater, thats just a fairy tale. you missed the entire point of superhero comics, which is to find excuses for your hero to punch increasingly ridiculous forms of evil in the face. this whole superheroes trying to make social change through funding and whatnot is just millennial hyper-awareness crashing face first into the realization that all escapist fiction is built on premises fundamentally opposed to the values we were raised on and now believe, but can't just throw it out because we find the fiction awesome and inspiring anyways.
    Last edited by Lord Raziere; Today at 03:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #1180

1. Never watched that show

2. its live action and not really the kind of superhero action I'd want, too low key

3. its spy fiction, which is a different genre from superheroes
    Yeah, but it's still about a guy who makes cheap but effective single-use gadgets out of whatever happens to be handy

As for your idea....so just an eccentric rich dude who uses his wealth for good? thats not a superhero Rater, thats just a fairy tale. you missed the entire point of superhero comics, which is to find excuses for your hero to punch increasingly ridiculous forms of evil in the face. this whole superheroes trying to make social change through funding and whatnot is just millennial hyper-awareness crashing face first into the realization that all escapist fiction is built on premises fundamentally opposed to the values we were raised on and now believe, but can't just throw it out because we find the fiction awesome and inspiring anyways.
    I mean... That's kind of the joke.

Also, superheroes can be whatever we choose to define them as. Frank Castle is a serial killer with no superpowers, no secret identity, no consistent supporting cast, and no motive beyond his desire to sate his anger and bloodlust. And yet, because he mostly kills criminals and he lives in a superhero universe and has a codename, he's classified as a superhero.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #1181
    Titan in the Playground

Does that mean I can make my next M&M character 'Microwave Emitter Person' and not listen to the GM's complaints of how my only superpower of releasing massive omnidirectional microwave bursts whenever I'm hit (Damage 10 with the Reaction and as many levels of Area as I can afford) cause massive collateral damage?

Actually, the end result would likely be a brick just hurling me into the middle of a group of nooks.

Show

12. - Top - End - #1182
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

Nope, it can't!

recently I've had superhero ideas like:
    -Lo-fi Lass, who uses mostly music based inventions to fight crime by putting criminals to sleep with the music she fires from her bracers

Jigglypuff to the rescue !!
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

13. - Top - End - #1183
    Titan in the Playground

I mean... That's kind of the joke.

Also, superheroes can be whatever we choose to define them as. Frank Castle is a serial killer with no superpowers, no secret identity, no consistent supporting cast, and no motive beyond his desire to sate his anger and bloodlust. And yet, because he mostly kills criminals and he lives in a superhero universe and has a codename, he's classified as a superhero.
    No, Frank Castle obeys the Khornate Principle of solving problems with violence that 80 years of superhero comics have consistently stuck to and are sustained by because you can always make more enemies to punch that way, yours doesn't, and you know it. your idea is a fairy tale, because thats literally all the length it would have, because you've wrapped everything in a bow with a modern fisher king bringing prosperity to the kingdom with his virtuous rule. there is no plot after that.

14. - Top - End - #1184

BlackDragon

I've slept in a reclining armchair before now. Sometimes I just find I can't sleep lying down for whatever reason and sitting up in the armchair just works better. That's obviously with the armchair in reclined position, though, so it's not as straight-backed as your average throne.

15. - Top - End - #1185
    Barbarian in the Playground

I now have the mental image of a "Batman" type superhero who fights crime by using his vast fortune to privatize certain institutions and reform them in ways that reduce the need for people to become criminals, reduce recidivism rates, and improves general quality of life.

Basically, he's just a guy like Bruce Wayne who effectively has infinite money to work with, but instead of splitting time between philanthropy and beating up mentally ill criminals, he just goes full philanthropist throwing his infinite money wherever it can do the most good.

He never goes on patrol or anything...

But he's always dressed up in tights, trunks, and a cape. No secret identity, he's just wearing a stereotypical superhero outfit at all times. In his office running his business, he's in costume. Chilling out at home, in costume, meeting with the mayor to discuss campaign contributions, in costume. Seeing his therapist to deal with the trauma of seeing his parents murdered in front of him as a chils, in costume.

Other superheroes exist in the setting, and he's just putting them to shame because he's addressing the systemic issues and coordinating proper responses... But he's very friendly with them and doesn't draw attention to it and is always willing to spot them a few million dollars to upgrade their equipment with no expectation that he'll get it back.

His city is just one of the best places to live because of his efforts.

He's just... Anti-Batman.

(Though, being fair to Bruce, in multiple continuities it's canon that there are Lazarus pits in Gotham leaching Lazarus compound into the water supply. Not enough to be easily noticeable but years of drinking and bathing it Lazarus tainted water means that everyone in Gotham is more prone to insanity, instability, than the world average and everyone has a mild healing factor.)
    I guess someone could write a story like that, though they'd be venturing outside of the superhero genre as I understand it. This would be more like a comedy with social commentary and some superheroes as part of its backdrop. I wouldn't be surprised if something with the same critique (solving problems exclusively by punching them == ineffective/bad) of the superhero genre already exists within or near the superhero genre itself.

No, Frank Castle obeys the Khornate Principle of solving problems with violence that 80 years of superhero comics have consistently stuck to and are sustained by because you can always make more enemies to punch that way, yours doesn't, and you know it. your idea is a fairy tale, because thats literally all the length it would have, because you've wrapped everything in a bow with a modern fisher king bringing prosperity to the kingdom with his virtuous rule. there is no plot after that.
    I imagine an eccentric rich person doing as described would run afoul of various vested interests (other rich people, major corporations, corrupt politicians etc.) which would not take kindly to the social reforms they're trying to bring about. Or jealous superheroes. I think there's plenty of plot that way if executed right, but it wouldn't really be the superhero genre anymore.

16. - Top - End - #1186

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I guess someone could write a story like that, though they'd be venturing outside of the superhero genre as I understand it. This would be more like a comedy with social commentary and some superheroes as part of its backdrop. I wouldn't be surprised if something with the same critique (solving problems exclusively by punching them == ineffective/bad) of the superhero genre already exists within or near the superhero genre itself.
    I was thinking he'd be more a background player. He shows up to meetings of whatever league/society/association/guild/ers s the big-name superhero team in his universe, contributes to the dialog, and so on but never actually personally fights crime and he's just kind of there for jokes.

"He's not even a real superhero, he's just a rich guy in a costume. Doesn't even fight crime, but he's like half our budget so we've gotta be nice to him"

until his "focus episode" where he gets attacked in his own home by assassins hired by a Mob boss whose 'legitimate business' he seized in a hostile takeover and turned into an actual legitimate business, or maybe the Judge who lost his job when Philanthropist Man bought out the state's privately-owned prison and found out that the previous owner was paying that judge off to send people to his prison specifically on any pretense and altered the authorities.

He fights off the assassins and then uses his network of contacts and mercenaries to trace them back to the perpetrator, then turns over his evidence to the proper authorities, establishing that no, this guy makes a real difference in the world and he's just as skilled and competent, and most importantly, taking the same risks, as the other heroes, he's just going about it in a different way.

'Ultramegasuperwoman can best help people by going ou there and fighting all of the cosmic gods and giant monsters that want to kill humanity just for existing. Armynavyairforce-Man can do the most good by building his armed and armored vehicles and piloting them against alien invasions. Me? I make due with what I can."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

17. - Top - End - #1187
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Fun fact! That can be a symptom of sleep apnea. Imean, in fiction is usually used to indicate extreme tiredness, but you'd be surprised by how often people sleep in their recliners instead of their beds.
    Yeah, but it's still about a guy who makes cheap but effective single-use gadgets out of whatever happens to be handy
    The gadgets are not necessarily single-use; they're simply improvised from what he has available, which may or may not be reusable.
    Spoiler: Avatar by always-awesome Cuthalion
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show
    If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    "Other people also have it bad" is not a good argument for the status quo. It's just an argument that more people need help.

18. - Top - End - #1188

Mother: Talking on the phone about oatmeal for some reason.
    Me: Starts craving oatmeal, states this fact.
    Mother: Directs me to the cabinet which holds the instant oatmeal.
    Me: Goes into kitchen.
    Also Me: Makes oatmeal.
    Also also Me: leave kitchen with a bowl of oatmeal.
    Mother: Is surprised I actually made oatmeal.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1189
    Titan in the Playground

I mean that would just be part of it, the part would be the actual improvised fighting with anything nearby and be suddenly able to improvise whatever skills they need for the situation out of nowhere, like instead of Batman's training in everything, she just has the mutant ability to have flashes of improvised inspiration or understanding that make her incredibly skilled in something for a moment, and it'd be less about the wacky specific gadgets and more "I know how to make homemade bombs and improvised guns or other things like that so as to fight supervillains on a budget because I don't have the money to make fancy gadgets that can do better".

Quote Originally Posted by asda fasda View Post
    Jigglypuff to the rescue !!
    something like that, except instead of a little puffball played for laughs, imagine a girl on a rocket skateboard with white iPod-like tech bringing hope to people around her through being incredibly chill and having her own online lofi channel.

20. - Top - End - #1190
    Halfling in the Playground

Kobold

I mean that would just be part of it, the part would be the actual improvised fighting with anything nearby and be suddenly able to improvise whatever skills they need for the situation out of nowhere, like instead of Batman's training in everything, she just has the mutant ability to have flashes of improvised inspiration or understanding that make her incredibly skilled in something for a moment, and it'd be less about the wacky specific gadgets and more "I know how to make homemade bombs and improvised guns or other things like that so as to fight supervillains on a budget because I don't have the money to make fancy gadgets that can do better".
    I think that McGaver style could be more interesting, although a little more dynamic maybe. Something like Shiro from Log Horizon, when main character is not only improvising gadgets but also planning, like lure his opponents into right place where she can use some kind of improvised item to start chain reaction etc. and on the spot makes another gadgets running from place to place. And I would like that she knows how to make the stuff, not just intuition.

something like that, except instead of a little puffball played for laughs, imagine a girl on a rocket skateboard with white iPod-like tech bringing hope to people around her through being incredibly chill and having her own online lofi channel.
    Nah, I would prefer Jigglypuf on rocket skateboard : )
    ohh, here is one:
    https://www.deviantart.com/tamashii-...-color-9398946
    "By Google's own reckoning, 60% of the ads that are charged for are never seen by any human being literally the majority of the industry's product is a figment of feverish machine imaginations." Pluralistic

The bots are selling ads to bots which mostly bots are viewing, We really are living in XXI century.

21. - Top - End - #1191
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by asda fasda View Post
    I think that McGaver style could be more interesting, although a little more dynamic maybe. Something like Shiro from Log Horizon, when main character is not only improvising gadgets but also planning, like lure his opponents into right place where she can use some kind of improvised item to start chain reaction etc. and on the spot makes another gadgets running from place to place. And I would like that she knows how to make the stuff, not just intuition.
    No. The entire point of the character is to be my own style of Ultimate Improviser, not to redo Macgyver, especially since I've never watched Macgyver.