New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 50 123456789101126 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Pixie in the Playground

Default ...........

Last edited by Hyoi; 2023-08-05 at 03:17 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Sixth!

I need to reorganise my shelves so the books aren't just shoved in there randomly. Maybe I'll go for size offer.....
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Troll in the Playground

Yep, all seems to be in order. Except for AnonymousWizard's post. That's out of sixth order.

(Bookshelf organizing is satisfying, though, yeah.)
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Colossus in the Playground

It confuses me how some people use "boredom" as an argument against immortality.

I mean, the world is constantly changing and after a while, if you play your cards right, you'd be rich enough to just pull up stakes and wonder the planet doing whatever you want, constantly having new adventures and experiences.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    It confuses me how some people use "boredom" as an argument against immortality.

I mean, the world is constantly changing and after a while, if you play your cards right, you'd be rich enough to just pull up stakes and wonder the planet doing whatever you want, constantly having new adventures and experiences.
    Have you never had days where no matter what you do... you just want to do things, and yet nothing you can think of is something you feel you want to do? I feel like that's something that you could easily still run into with immortality.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

6. - Top - End - #6

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Have you never had days where no matter what you do... you just want to do things, and yet nothing you can think of is something you feel you want to do? I feel like that's something that you could easily still run into with immortality.
    Yeah, but those usually pass.

The "you'll get bored" argument is always "eventually you'll run out of things to do." But, that's not... That's literally impossible.

I mean, I like learning things. I could spend a hundred years studying all of recorded history... And then I'll have another hundred years worth of history to study.

The only way you'd run out of things to do is if literally all of humanity vanished except for you. Then eventually you'll run out of things becuase people will stop doing things because they're not there.

But you can still do things. Make a record of humanity for whatever comes next. Recreate all of science and build a spaceship to explore the rest of the universe.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, eventually there will be no humanity. Heat death and all that.

Strictly speaking what I want isn't immortality, just an extremely long life, the ability to die on my own terms when I'm ready, and to have changes to my body and mind roughly every five hundred years to stop things from being too consistently boring.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

8. - Top - End - #8

In my opinion, if Heat Death is a problem then you're not immortal enough.

In my opinion, genuine immortality is "if someone goes back in time and kills you before you became immortal, then continues going backward killing each and every one of your ancestors back to the very first rudimentary organic molecule before they can beget that who beget those who beget those who infinite generations later beget you, then blow up the earth back when it had no life for good measure, then comes back to the present they find that you're still there because history corrected for your existence."

Though, at that point, it's less "immortal" and more "reality is bending over backward to keep you around" I suppose.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-03-26 at 06:41 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Well once again. I'm starting my diet again.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #10
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, there's other things I'd like Twitter to bend over backwards for. The procurement of cake for starters.

I believe the new goal is to post fast enough that the other thread doesn't fall past the Necromancy Limit by the time we need it.

EDIT: now I think about it, The Procurement Of Cake would be a great name for a radio drama.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-03-26 at 06:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    EDIT: now I think about it, The Procurement Of Cake would be a great name for a radio drama.
    And it would be nothing but lies.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

12. - Top - End - #12
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    You know, if you'd enjoy a deep dive, I don't think I'd mind that at all. You sold the show well, and I'm grasipng for media that can actually hold my attention these days -- my brain is so frazzled from stress recovery, it's like opening a packed fridge and seeing nothing you want to eat or have the energy to cook.
    Spoiler: List. I tried to keep it short, which meant it was pretty hard and several deserving episodes got cut, but I feel like I got you a good spread of the change-ups and personalities
    Show
    Season 1, Episode 3, "The Reaper's Helper"
    The OG cast and one of the earliest forays into how murky prosecuting can be, and it's not all black-and-white.

Detectives: Greevy and Logan
    Lieutenant: Cragen
    ADAs: Stone and Robinette
    DA: Schiff

Season 5, Episode 2, "Coma"
    One of the best "I really want them to nail this guy" episodes. Plus, season 5 has one of my favorite cast line-ups.

Detectives: Briscoe and Logan
    Lieutenant: Van Buren
    ADAs: McCoy and Kincaid

Season 8, Episode 5, "Nullification"
    An.... interesting legal strategy.

Detectives: Briscoe and Curtis
    ADAs: McCoy and Ross

Season 8, Episode 8, "Shadow"
    Excellent example of McCoy's unorthodox and sometimes extreme methods.

Detectives: Briscoe and Curtis
    ADAs: McCoy and Ross

Season 13, Episode 11, "Chosen"
    Where you get to see what a good defense lawyer can really do. Do not underestimate Randy Dworkin.

Detectives: Briscoe and Green
    ADAs: McCoy and Southerlyn
    DA: Branch

Season 16, Episode 18, "Thinking Makes It So"
    The glorious return of Dworkin!

Detectives: Fontana and Green
    ADAs: McCoy and Borgia
    DA: Branch

Season 20, Episode 24 "Rubber Room"
    McCoy's ending monologue is absolutely ****ing terrifying.

Detectives: Lupo and Bernard
    ADAs: Cutter and Rubirosa
    DA: McCoy

Quote Originally Posted by Civis Mundi View Post
    I'd also be very interested in any L&O UK episodes you recommend.
    Bad news: I never got to see a whole lot of it back in the day, so I'm much weaker on it than I am the American version.

Good news (everybody): Looks like the entire series is free on Amazon Prime (with ads, and no option to purchase, sadly), so I know what I'm doing this weekend!
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-03-26 at 11:51 AM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #13

I've been drawing lately, out of desire to respark my creativity and also because I want references for character designs when I commission people. It's all been teaser art for my second novel (so if you're interested in seeing them ding me, hehe) but I am going to directly show this one that I did, of yours truly.

I like it.

14. - Top - End - #14

BlackDragon

In my opinion, if Heat Death is a problem then you're not immortal enough.
    "There are not many of them, all things considered: The truly old.

Even on this planet, in this age, when people consider a mere hundred years, or a thousand, to be an unusual span.

There are, for example, less than ten thousand humanoid individuals alive on this planet today who have personal memories of the saber-toothed tiger, the megatherium, the cave bear.

There are today less than a thousand who walked the streets of Atlantis. (The first Atlantis. The other lands that bore that name were shadows, echo-Atlantises, myth lands, and they came later).

There are less than five hundred living humans who remember the human civilizations that predated the great lizards. (There were a few; fossil records are unreliable. Several of them lasted for millions of years.)

There are roughly seventy people walking the earth, human to all appearances (and in a few cases, to all medical tests currently available), who were alive before the earth had begun to congeal from gas and dust."

-- quote from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comic, "Brief Lives". Thought it sounded appropriate.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I love coffee and tea. I can't choose which is better.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Archmage in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Bad news: I never got to see a whole lot of it back in the day, so I'm much weaker on it than I am the American version.

Good news (everybody): Looks like the entire series is free on Amazon Prime (with ads, and no option to purchase, sadly), so I know what I'm doing this weekend!
    Oh, my friend, you are in for a treat. Yes, Minister is the absolute pinnacle of dry British wit. It's the definition of droll. It's a show that has a very clear and very well-defined vision and never wavers just hammers it home episode after episode. It's one of my all-time favourites, second only to Fawlty Towers.
    Last edited by truemane; 2021-03-26 at 11:08 AM.
    (Avatar by Cuthalion, who is great.)

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

I was bored once, for about two weeks, then I got bored of it.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Miniature Giant Space Hamster in the Playground Administrator

Let's just imagine that somehow the entire universe basically ceases to exist except for an endless void and... you.

Solution: Go insane, create an entirely new universe in your head.

"My Hobby: Replacing your soap with gravy" by rtg0922, Doll and Clint "Rawhide" Eastwood by Sneak

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by truemane View Post
    Oh, my friend, you are in for a treat. Yes, Minister is the absolute pinnacle of dry British wit. It's the definition of droll. It's a show that has a very clear and very well-defined vision and never wavers just hammers it home episode after episode. It's one of my all-time favourites, second only to Fawlty Towers.
    Whoops! Deleted the wrong bit of text in that quote. I meant that as a reply to Law & Order UK. I have seen YM/YPM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post
    Let's just imagine that somehow the entire universe basically ceases to exist except for an endless void and... you.

This was more what I meant by Heat Death being a problem. Sure, you're eternal, but you're in a universe where the least black hope has died and all that remains are spheres of iron (assuming the proton is eternal). You'd love to move, but moving requires energy, energy must be conserved, and it's been a few millennia since you encountered anything not in it's lowest energy state.

At the end of the day it doesn't matter if you're not the one who dies, if the universe dies you lose the ability to act, and even to think, as your body runs out of energy.

Although I suppose that if you can't move and can't think, you're dead in all practical terms. Which gives us a method for getting rid of pesky complete immortals: fire them into a post-heat death universe at a fraction of c large enough to give a gamma of, say, a few trillion and close the door behind them. By the time they've altered their velocity to get back to it they're low on energy and the door has been closed for billions of years.

Of course you run into problems if they can turn mass into energy.

Show

21. - Top - End - #21
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

R. Scott Bakker does the best "draw backs of immortality" story, although like all things he does it is dripping with edge.

You know how you remember the bad stuff from high school frequently and the good stuff much less frequently, and the boring stuff almost never? Like 90% of the time you were just in a desk drawing cubes, but few of us look back on high school as being the cube drawing period of our lives. We remember the teacher that sucked, the prom date that dumped us on prom night, etc. And then speckled in is good times, which were more frequent then bad but less memorable.

Repeat that infinitely. 99% of your immortality will be boring, unimportant stuff and a tiny percent will be actively good or bad. But you are built to remember bad experiences, so the amount of your immortality spent dwelling on those will slowly absorb the others.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

22. - Top - End - #22
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't understand why other people get so upset when other people don't agree with their opinion and they resort to nasty name-calling and insults and they block people on all social media for not agreeing with them. I seriously don't get it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Quote Originally Posted by Rawhide View Post

Exactly.

If you're immortal then you can't starve to death, which would indicate that you have some ability to generate energy ex nilho.

Nor can you suffocate to death, indicating that you either don't need oxygen to function or have some ability to generate it ex nilho.

Even if you're just floating around in empty space... I mean, at this point you're billions of years old. I imagine that you've learned to lucid dream at some point.

If You're lucky, it'll end up being a Professor Paradox situation where you go insane for a few eons, then get bored of it, go sane again, and learn how to manipulate the fabric of time and space and then you can just go screwing around in infinite parallel timelines.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hyoi View Post
    Isn't this kind of thing how you get all those annoying extradimensional entities that keep going around consuming realities? They don't need to go back to the door you kicked them through, they just need to get enough of a communication line going to start a doomsday cult around bringing them back. For all you know, they might have done that before you even kick them through the door.
    Hence the significance of getting them as close to c as possible, we want lots of time dilation so that by the time cults are forming o or descendants view 'eldeitch abomination' as another term for 'target practice'. As well as us, assuming we're ageless, uploaded, or in replacement/rejuvenated bodies. Ideally by the time they've found the universe again we've built a Dyson sphere around the supermassive black hole in the center of th galaxy and used the energy to move everybody into a younger universe.

Show

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Dyson sphere around the supermassive black hole
    If it's around a black hole it's not a "Dyson sphere" it's a "Penrose-process Generator"
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I'm trying to prove my social cues with a little effort. So that has to mean something here.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    If it's around a black hole it's not a "Dyson sphere" it's a "Penrose-process Generator"
    Eh, I was on a train, I don't always have the time to google specific terminology.

Show

28. - Top - End - #28
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    "There are not many of them, all things considered: The truly old.

Even on this planet, in this age, when people consider a mere hundred years, or a thousand, to be an unusual span.

There are, for example, less than ten thousand humanoid individuals alive on this planet today who have personal memories of the saber-toothed tiger, the megatherium, the cave bear.

There are today less than a thousand who walked the streets of Atlantis. (The first Atlantis. The other lands that bore that name were shadows, echo-Atlantises, myth lands, and they came later).

There are less than five hundred living humans who remember the human civilizations that predated the great lizards. (There were a few; fossil records are unreliable. Several of them lasted for millions of years.)

There are roughly seventy people walking the earth, human to all appearances (and in a few cases, to all medical tests currently available), who were alive before the earth had begun to congeal from gas and dust."

-- quote from Neil Gaiman's "Sandman" comic, "Brief Lives". Thought it sounded appropriate.
    Sandman is the rare kind of story where Death is presented very positively but at the same time the immortal characters very like living forever.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Troll in the Playground

Imp

My favorite kind of immortality is the one where you get to finally die by your own choice. When you decide that there's nothing more for you to experience or do. For me it would be many thousands of years. Leaving behind my loved ones would make me sad, but like.... that's already a thing I'm going to do. I've already outlived my grandparents. I will outlive my parents. Seeing people I love die will happen whether I'm immortal or not.
    Black text is for sarcasm, also sincerity. You'll just have to read between the lines and infer from context like an animal

30. - Top - End - #30
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mastikator View Post
    I will outlive my parents.
    Hopefully.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.