New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Short version, most of your opinions or daydreams aren't weird. They're just human.
    I was under the impression that most people would find being in a mostly empty (sub)urban setting in real life creepy.

Beyond that, even the ones about becoming a horribly eldritch monstrosity in order to take over the world and rule with an iron fist?
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I was under the impression that most people would find being in a mostly empty (sub)urban setting in real life creepy.

Beyond that, even the ones about becoming a horribly eldritch monstrosity in order to take over the world and rule with an iron fist?
    Yep. Imean, the specifics are probably a bit more unique to you, but everyone has off-the-wall daydreams or dreams or idle wondering.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #303

Yep. Imean, the specifics are probably a bit more unique to you, but everyone has off-the-wall daydreams or dreams or idle wondering.
    So, just to be clear, it's not that weird that I kind of wish I could rip parasitic alien slime out of an elderly bipolar holocaust survivor's spine so that I could eat it and gain the power to sense and manipulate electromagnetic objects and energies with a range measured in lightyears?

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

4. - Top - End - #304

So, just to be clear, it's not that weird that I kind of wish I could rip parasitic alien slime out of an elderly bipolar holocaust survivor's spine so that I could eat it and gain the power to sense and manipulate electromagnetic objects and energies with a range measured in lightyears?
    That's weird but it's not your fault because you didn't invent this. They put this in front of you and told you not to eat the spine goo that is apparently where mutant powers are stored (comics are ****ing stupid sometimes my god).

It'd be like getting mad at a cat for knocking a glass off the table, or getting mad at a dog eating meat that's been left in eating range.
    Last edited by LaZodiac; 2021-04-14 at 08:09 AM.

5. - Top - End - #305

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    That's weird but it's not your fault because you didn't invent this. They put this in front of you and told you not to eat the spine goo that is apparently where mutant powers are stored (comics are ****ing stupid sometimes my god).
    Actually, the Spine-Goo is becuase Magneto was possessed by a Symbiote in SWORD vol 2 #3 as part of the King In Black crossover event.

As were Kid Cable, Banshee, Sunfire, Paibok the Power Skrull, and as far as I can tell every current member of SWORD except for Abigail Brand, Wiz-Kid, Manifold, and Mentello.

This means they have codices, heavily detailed archives of their memories and biological information. Technically these codices are found in every single one of their cells, but it's canon that a codex can be found in great concentration in the spine, the adrenal glands, and the pancreas.

Note: This would be the second time that this exact same SWORD space station was taken over by Symbiotes.

Mutant Powers are the result of a gene complex: the X-Gene codes for a protein that turns on some genes, turns off others and alters some outright. These altered genes then produce other proteins that combine with that first gene creating a unique "mutation factor." For the vast majority of mutants, the X-Gene also serves as an anchor for an extradimensional source of cosmic energy referred to as 'mutant' energy that fuels mutant powers and allows for all the stuff that honestly shouldn't be possible with biology. The altered genes also mean that mutants have several universal physical and chemical differences from baseline humans, which is why they're classified as a separate human subspecies, it's cladistic rather than genetic.

The partially random, partially heritable nature of mutant powers is also explained by this mechanic.

However, some mutants including the summer's brothers, most of Scott Summer's time-traveling/alternate universe children, and based on context clues Sunfire are able to take energy from their environment and is it to produce their own mutant energy either instead of or in addition to taking it from extradimensional sources. The summers family in particular are noteworthy becuase they take in only trace amounts of ambient energy(though Scott and Gabriel are able to consciously take in more) but generate millions of times over what they take in in blatant disregard of the laws of thermodynamics.

Scott being the most efficient: His powers, portals to an alternate universe with different laws of physics that is contained entirely by an infinite amount of hypercharged photons that behave as kinetic energy when interacting with energy or matter from this universe, is sustained entirely by absorbing trace amounts of sunlight, not enough for even someone with superhuman vision to notice a change in illumination, through his skin.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-04-14 at 08:43 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

6. - Top - End - #306
    Titan in the Playground

Short version, most of your opinions or daydreams aren't weird. They're just human.
    What, even the one with the naked humans, custard, and whips?

Man humans are strange.

IBeyond that, even the ones about becoming a horribly eldritch monstrosity in order to take over the world and rule with an iron fist?
    I mean, the second part is absolutely normal, it's linked to the fact that we all think we know how best society would run if only we could put our ideas into practice (tip: this isn't true for the vast majority of people).

The first part is more weird, but not incredibly so. I'd bet a significant minority have had some sort of fantasy about being a secret alien or fairy or becoming a dragon or giant mongoose.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-04-14 at 08:39 AM.

7. - Top - End - #307

So, just to be clear, it's not that weird that I....
    Keep in mind I said "most", not "all". It's just like D&D, specific always beats general. You can almost always bring up a specific, cherry-picked example to make a general statement appear wrong.

8. - Top - End - #308

Keep in mind I said "most", not "all". It's just like D&D, specific always beats general. You can almost always bring up a specific, cherry-picked example to make a general statement appear wrong.
    Not if you don't have hands, feet, a tongue, or eyelids and therefore are physically incapable of communicating more than basic emotions via body language.

Smartassery aside, I get your point.

This would be why I keep asking when I come up with something like that and wonder if that's weird.

I honestly have no way of knowing what other people think of feel unless they tell me. I can try to guess based on tone or body language but that's a crapshoot and is difficult to tell in a purely text-based medium.

"You know, just motorcycling around in this craphole suburb with barrel any other people actually seems pretty relaxing... But most people seem to be uncomfortable when they're in a city with barely anyone around. Is this one of the weird things I think or is this an uncommon but normal thing?"

Edit: And now I see the "almost" that I missed on the first read.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-04-14 at 09:03 AM.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

9. - Top - End - #309
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Depending on the time of day, at least in the US, there might not be many people out and about in a typical suburb. The children could be in school, and the adults off at work. So it's not unexpected.

10. - Top - End - #310

I'm scheduled to get my first anti-plague poke on the same day that the new Resident Evil comes out.

That's a spooky coincidence.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

11. - Top - End - #311
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I mean, the second part is absolutely normal, it's linked to the fact that we all think we know how best society would run if only we could put our ideas into practice (tip: this isn't true for the vast majority of people).
    Hahahahahahaha, no. I have no idea how to make society run, and have no inclination to run things. I can't lead, I just panic and mess things up. Feels like most anyone else would do a better job.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

I heard an add that sounded google translated by some text-to-speech program today.
    That was a surrealist experience, and also probably a scam.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

13. - Top - End - #313
    Titan in the Playground

I'm scheduled to get my first anti-plague poke on the same day that the new Resident Evil comes out.

That's a spooky coincidence.
    Don't worry, I've had two and haven't become a zombie. Yet.

Although I had AZ, I've got no clue as to the side effects of the Umbrella vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by DataNinja View Post
    Hahahahahahaha, no. I have no idea how to make society run, and have no inclination to run things. I can't lead, I just panic and mess things up. Feels like most anyone else would do a better job.
    I was simplifying from 'the vast majority', I didn't mean to imply it was legitimately all encompassing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I heard an add that sounded google translated by some text-to-speech program today.
    That was a surrealist experience, and also probably a scam.
    Sounds better than the scams I get, apparently there's about eight different things wrong with my tax and somebody's stolen my National Insurance Number. I'd much rather have surrealist scams.

Which is I suppose when they don't actually fill your bathtub with brightly coloured machine tools?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

14. - Top - End - #314

Although I had AZ, I've got no clue as to the side effects of the Umbrella vaccine.
    Phizer checking in, all quiet on the western front.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

I was simplifying from 'the vast majority', I didn't mean to imply it was legitimately all encompassing.
    Okay, that's fair. I was just wondering if it was a lot more common than I'd thought.
    The stars predict tomorrow you'll wake up, do a bunch of stuff, and then go back to sleep.~ That's your horoscope for today.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ettin in the Playground

The internet mostly seems down, yet I'm still (apparently) able to access GitP.

I don't understand how, but this is the only website I can reach.

I can't reach Youtube, or Twitter, or Downforeveryoneorjustme, or Google.

EDIT: For a while, this site also went down, but now everything's back. I don't know how I was able to come here and post this, yet not to access Google (et al) but I wasn't joking when I said that.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-04-14 at 11:14 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    The internet mostly seems down, yet I'm still (apparently) able to access GitP.

I don't understand how, but this is the only website I can reach.

I can't reach Youtube, or Twitter, or Downforeveryoneorjustme, or Google.

EDIT: For a while, this site also went down, but now everything's back. I don't know how I was able to come here and post this, yet not to access Google (et al) but I wasn't joking when I said that.
    I am not seeing any significant problems, mind you I don't use Google, Youtube or Twitter. Wikipedia seems to be up, and most of the webserials I check, no new content on the webserials, but the sites were there.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    I am not seeing any significant problems, mind you I don't use Google, Youtube or Twitter. Wikipedia seems to be up, and most of the webserials I check, no new content on the webserials, but the sites were there.
    I'm well aware that the problem was on my end, even though I don't know what was causing it. I'm just confused as to how I could still access GitP at the time.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-04-14 at 11:21 PM.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

19. - Top - End - #319
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Which is I suppose when they don't actually fill your bathtub with brightly coloured machine tools?
    I wish it was cool surrealism like that.
    Instead, it was poor grammar that made a few sentences nonsensical, an unprompted life story that brings litteraly nothing to the pitch sale and is obviously fake, a janky voice, and restating the same points 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason.

edit : I got the same add again, right after posting this !
    Last edited by Cazero; 2021-04-15 at 12:03 AM.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

20. - Top - End - #320

It would be nice to impose my will on the world for a change instead of always suffering the reverse. It's probably best if I don't, though. Looking at some of my personality traits I suspect I'd be inclined to tighten my grasp too much and I probably wouldn't be very effective at persuading people to see things my way, leaving me tempted to pursue more punitive means to force compliance. D:

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    It would be nice to impose my will on the world for a change instead of always suffering the reverse. It's probably best if I don't, though. Looking at some of my personality traits I suspect I'd be inclined to tighten my grasp too much and I probably wouldn't be very effective at persuading people to see things my way, leaving me tempted to pursue more punitive means to force compliance. D:
    Yes.

I wish to be all-powerful and rule the word with an iron fist.

But it probably would not end well. I don't tolerate asshattery very well and there are a lot of asshats in this world.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Yes.

I wish to be all-powerful and rule the word with an iron fist.

But it probably would not end well. I don't tolerate asshattery very well and there are a lot of asshats in this world.
    I think we all like that idea at some point or another. You can fix the problems as you see them, sold!

But either all powerful means that you are changed to fit your role to the point where you aren't you, or you would ruin the world in a few days. Just setting the price of bananas is so hopelessly byzantine it takes many highly intelligent people to set it up, imagine trying to work out exchange rates or zoning laws on an international scale. We all would, there is no human who will ever be born with that kind of capacity.

I think the problem is, if you dwell on these kinds of dreams you end up missing the day to day stuff. Sure it's great to imagine fixing all the problems, but what are we doing to fix the problems in front of us right now? I for one would like car inhibitors installed that prevent cars exceeding the speed limit, but since that isn't happening anytime soon I write complaint letters about not enough speed bumps and roads needing to be narrowed and sign petitions for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

23. - Top - End - #323
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    I didn't say any of us actually knew how to make the world run better, just that it's natural to think you do. Or for that matter be competent at it. I'd love to be emperor of the world, but I'd get bored of the paperwork required to have an iron fist, go off on holiday, and come back to find that my chief vizier has declared me legally dead and forged my signature on the document declaring them my heir.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

24. - Top - End - #324

I mean, my preferred method of becoming a nigh-omnipotent eldritch monstrosity would put me in a position to learn everything needed to actually run a world. (Multiple sources of enhanced problem solving, memory, information retention, and comprehension of facts) but I imagine doing it well would be boring.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #325

I didn't say any of us actually knew how to make the world run better, just that it's natural to think you do. Or for that matter be competent at it.
    Yeah, I get that. I was just musing about how I think I'd do if given the chance.

I'd love to be emperor of the world, but I'd get bored of the paperwork required to have an iron fist, go off on holiday, and come back to find that my chief vizier has declared me legally dead and forged my signature on the document declaring them my heir.
    Now vizier is something I might be able to pull off. A supporting position from which to give advice, but without having to make any actual decisions (well, not as much).

Then again, I don't think I'd be treacherous enough. And a good vizier really should be treacherous. Comes with the territory.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, my preferred method of becoming a nigh-omnipotent eldritch monstrosity
    To be fair, that's your solution to everything.

Show

27. - Top - End - #327

To be fair, that's your solution to everything.
    Yes, yes it is.

My life would be so much better if I was an immortal supersoldier with godlike physical and mental attributes permanently fused at the molecularly level to a dracomorphic demigod composed of amorphous solid darkness imbued with the memories, biological information, and DNA of hundreds of superheroes and supervillains and thousands of other people besides.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #328

I mean, my preferred method of becoming a nigh-omnipotent eldritch monstrosity would put me in a position to learn everything needed to actually run a world.
    Youre in a position to do that now, at least somewhat. I hear great things about Khan Academy!

29. - Top - End - #329

Youre in a position to do that now, at least somewhat. I hear great things about Khan Academy!
    If it didn't help me with trigonometry it won't help me with world domination.

Well, I mean it helped me with Trig, but not enough to do well in that class. I kind of think th problem might have at least partially been how the class was taught, but I'm bad at trig.

Also, strictly speaking, there's an objective limit to how many different types of information a single person is able to become skilled at learning, retaining, and applying and a glass ceiling for how many skills someone can develop to meaningful levels.

Not to mention that i's really hard to gain and retain fluency in a langue if you're above a certain age due to your brain solidifying and certain types of learning that you just can't do once you're past a certain point of cognitive development.

I wanted to learn Spanish. I actually have Spanish-speaking relatives, but I wasn't able to start learning till middle school where I was too old to gain true fluency without extreme effort and... And the teacher meant well but she was kind of incompetent.

It was a combined French and Spanish class where we switched which language we were learning each day, sometimes in the middle of the day. The first lesson in 6th grade consisted entirely of her asking us questions in either French or Spanish and we not only had to guess what she was asking and answer it(in English) but guess which lane she was speaking.

It was better in middle school but I kind of got screwed over by scheduling and uehg.

finally managed to ger four uninterrupted semesters of Spanish in college, but by then it was too late for anything but "constantly using it" to make more than the basics stick, despite a promise of fluency by the end of the fourth semester.

I'm kind of pissed off that my opportunity to easily learn a second language has passed, that the window was so short, and that it's ultimately an arbitrary quirk of biology that limits my ability to learn now.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

30. - Top - End - #330

If it didn't help me with trigonometry it won't help me with world domination.
    Fair, but you're still in position to learn.
    I'm kind of pissed off that my opportunity to easily learn a second language has passed
    The good news! The opportunity to learn one period hasn't! Sure, it's easiest when you're an infant/toddler, but it's still definitely doable. Heck, I'm like 90% sure I'm older than you and I'm learning German. You can do it, I got faith in you!