New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 50 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920212237 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I mean, my preferred method of becoming a nigh-omnipotent eldritch monstrosity would put me in a position to learn everything needed to actually run a world. (Multiple sources of enhanced problem solving, memory, information retention, and comprehension of facts) but I imagine doing it well would be boring.
    You also would fundamentally not be you, so you still wouldn't rule the world. World views are built around our own biases and limitations, you might as well want a distinct deific monstrosity to rule the world as once you have acquired knowledge and understanding you won't agree with yourself on what is to be done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

2. - Top - End - #332
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    You also would fundamentally not be you, so you still wouldn't rule the world. World views are built around our own biases and limitations, you might as well want a distinct deific monstrosity to rule the world as once you have acquired knowledge and understanding you won't agree with yourself on what is to be done.
    That's a matter of philosophy.

As long as there is direct continuity between the current me and the me I become, I figure we'd still be the same person.

Unless you want to argue that I'm literally a different person now than I was in 2016 because I've read more books, taken more classes, and got a second degree in that time.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Titan in the Playground

I'm moving in a couple of weeks (assuming the flat, and so today I started priliminary packing. And I'm very tempted to just put all my RPG books in as few boxes as possible, despite the weight....

Anybody got advice on transporting personal effects which mainly consists of books (of varying sizes)?
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    I'm moving in a couple of weeks (assuming the flat, and so today I started priliminary packing. And I'm very tempted to just put all my RPG books in as few boxes as possible, despite the weight....

Anybody got advice on transporting personal effects which mainly consists of books (of varying sizes)?
    Very small boxes. I've worked at a moving company before, the smaller the box the better.

More anecdotally: I just moved someone who did this with big tubs full of rpg books they graciously had me move for them, and I dressed them down for it after. It's not safe to move 150lb+ boxes up stairs by yourself, and it will take more effort to recover from a sprained back then to just pack them properly.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

5. - Top - End - #335
    Titan in the Playground

Very small boxes. I've worked at a moving company before, the smaller the box the better.

More anecdotally: I just moved someone who did this with big tubs full of rpg books they graciously had me move for them, and I dressed them down for it after. It's not safe to move 150lb+ boxes up stairs by yourself, and it will take more effort to recover from a sprained back then to just pack them properly.
    Yeah, I started with the smallest boxes I have, have only partially filled them with books, and filled the rest with light stuff

And I ran out of small boxes after only just finishing the A4-ish ones, with boxes that I consider just liftable. Like I could carry a full one of thses, but it would not be pleasant, and I'm running out of light stuff.

I don't actually have quite as much stuff as people think I do, after these boxes the main heavy stuff is my files. But I just have a ton of books that it would be easier to get a ton of bags and use those instead of boxes if I had the budget.,
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

6. - Top - End - #336
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Buy or build a dolly! Box weight is significantly less important with a dolly.

Dolly could have helped.
    Yeah, I started with the smallest boxes I have, have only partially filled them with books, and filled the rest with light stuff

And I ran out of small boxes after only just finishing the A4-ish ones, with boxes that I consider just liftable. Like I could carry a full one of thses, but it would not be pleasant, and I'm running out of light stuff.

I don't actually have quite as much stuff as people think I do, after these boxes the main heavy stuff is my files. But I just have a ton of books that it would be easier to get a ton of bags and use those instead of boxes if I had the budget.,
    Might I introduce you to my good friend Dolly?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #337
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Buy or build a dolly! Box weight is significantly less important with a dolly.

Dolly could have helped.

Might I introduce you to my good friend Dolly?
    How is your friend at climbing stairs?

8. - Top - End - #338

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    How is your friend at climbing stairs?
    Surprisingly capable.

9. - Top - End - #339
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't understand why people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew. I grew up watching Pepe Le Pew as a little boy and I enjoy watching his vintage cartoons. Seriously there's nothing wrong with Pepe at all.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

10. - Top - End - #340
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I don't understand why people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew. I grew up watching Pepe Le Pew as a little boy and I enjoy watching his vintage cartoons. Seriously there's nothing wrong with Pepe at all.
    The only joke I remember with Pepe Le Pew is him repeatedly trying to romance people who are not interested in him.

No means no.

11. - Top - End - #341
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    The only joke I remember with Pepe Le Pew is him repeatedly trying to romance people who are not interested in him.

No means no.
    The way I see it that Penelope the cat couldn't stand Pepe was the smell because he's a skunk.

12. - Top - End - #342

I don't understand why people want to cancel Pepe Le Pew.
    Nobody is trying to cancel anything. People, by and large, are calling attention to things that may or may not be problematic. This is not a new phenomenon.
    I grew up watching Pepe Le Pew as a little boy and I enjoy watching his vintage cartoons.
    ... OK? What does that have to do with your main point?
    Seriously there's nothing wrong with Pepe at all.
    He steadfastly pursued women who not only were not interested, but were trying with great effort to get away from him. I certainly wouldn't say there's nothing wrong with him. Whether or not watching a cartoon about that is acceptable I won't wade into, but if there's any call to objectionable behavior on his part, then it certainly seems on the mark.

13. - Top - End - #343
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Nobody is trying to cancel anything. People, by and large, are calling attention to things that may or may not be problematic. This is not a new phenomenon.

... OK? What does that have to do with your main point?

He steadfastly pursued women who not only were not interested, but were trying with great effort to get away from him. I certainly wouldn't say there's nothing wrong with him. Whether or not watching a cartoon about that is acceptable I won't wade into, but if there's any call to objectionable behavior on his part, then it certainly seems on the mark.
    My main point is that I don't want Pepe to be cancel and I support Pepe.

14. - Top - End - #344

My main point is that I don't want Pepe to be cancel and I support Pepe.
    Again, nothing is being cancelled. Pepe le Pew has not had ongoing new shorts since the sixties, according to IMDB. You can still go and buy Looney Tunes and watch the shorts.

Also, to your previous comment, does it matter why Penelope didn't want to be near him? She didn't want to be near him, end of story. He refused to accept her decision and continued to stalk her, despite her clear and obvious disgust at him. The "why" doesn't really come into play.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-15 at 09:44 PM.

15. - Top - End - #345
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Again, nothing is being cancelled. Pepe le Pew has not had ongoing new shorts since the sixties, according to IMDB. You can still go and buy Looney Tunes and watch the shorts.

Also, to your previous comment, does it matter why Penelope didn't want to be near him? She didn't want to be near him, end of story. He refused to accept her decision and continued to stalk her, despite her clear and obvious disgust at him. The "why" doesn't really come into play.
    I know that. He's a skunk.

16. - Top - End - #346

I know that. He's a skunk.
    ...and? Are you saying that if a woman dislikes a man for the wrong reason, the man is allowed to stalk her regardless of how she feels about it?

17. - Top - End - #347
    Titan in the Playground

The way I see it that Penelope the cat couldn't stand Pepe was the smell because he's a skunk.
    Okay, let's flip the script a little and put you in her shoes.

If a person you were not attracted to, and had not bathed for at least a year kept trying to pursue you romantically no matter how often you told them no you aren't interested, would you think that was okay?

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

...and? Are you saying that if a woman dislikes a man for the wrong reason, the man is allowed to stalk her regardless of how she feels about it?
    No. I didn't say that. What I'm trying to say that people making a huge deal out of Pepe (and among other things such as Dr. Seuss.) which people wants to cancel. But as you said before that Pepe isn't going to be canceled. Of Penelope rejected Pepe but he continues to stalk her. Also I really think people shouldn't be influence over a cartoon that's 40+ years. And everyone should know right from wrong about it.

Okay, let's flip the script a little and put you in her shoes.

If a person you were not attracted to, and had not bathed for at least a year kept trying to pursue you romantically no matter how often you told them no you aren't interested, would you think that was okay?
    No that not okay.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-04-15 at 09:59 PM.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Titan in the Playground

No. I didn't say that. What I'm trying to say that people making a huge deal out of Pepe (and among other things such as Dr. Seuss.) which people wants to cancel. But as you said before that not going to happy. Of Penelope rejected Pepe but he continues to stalk her. Also I really think people shouldn't be influence over a cartoon that's 40+ years. And everyone should know right from wrong about it.
    The people 'making a huge deal' out of Dr. Seuss are the Dr. Seuss estate. It's literally the owners saying "Hey, we realize that the content in these books is not okay, so we're not producing/selling them any more."

You know, the exact sort of thing the owner of any works should be able to do with their works.

No that not okay.
    Then why is it okay for Pepe to do it to Penelope? It's the same situation.

Yes, it's a cartoon and not real life. The media we consume affects our opinions though. The more certain things get normalized in media, the more they tend to get normalized in real life.

20. - Top - End - #350

No. I didn't say that. What I'm trying to say that people making a huge deal out of Pepe
    It's hard to figure out what you're trying to say here. If you're saying people should not make a big deal out of Pepe, well, that depends on how you feel about potentially objectionable material being presented in children's cartoons. Other people may feel drastically differently from you on this.
    (and among other things such as Dr. Seuss.) which people wants to cancel.
    The owners of the estate decided to no longer publish that material. It is literally in their sole jurisdiction to make that call.
    But as you said before that Pepe isn't going to be canceled.
    So what are you upset about?
    Of Penelope rejected Pepe but he continues to stalk her. Also I really think people shouldn't be influence over a cartoon that's 40+ years.
    Again, it's very difficult to figure out what you're trying to say here.
    And everyone should know right from wrong about it.
    People are calling out that this is wrong. You seem to be upset that people are calling out that this is wrong.
    No that not okay.
    Great! So it's not ok for that to happen to her!

21. - Top - End - #351
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

It's hard to figure out what you're trying to say here. If you're saying people should not make a big deal out of Pepe, well, that depends on how you feel about potentially objectionable material being presented in children's cartoons. Other people may feel drastically differently from you on this.

The owners of the estate decided to no longer publish that material. It is literally in their sole jurisdiction to make that call.

So what are you upset about?

Again, it's very difficult to figure out what you're trying to say here.

People are calling out that this is wrong. You seem to be upset that people are calling out that this is wrong.

Great! So it's not ok for that to happen to her!
    Because the reason why I'm upset about it is that cancel culture is getting out of control and I don't support cancel culture at all.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Titan in the Playground

Because the reason why I'm upset about it is that cancel culture is getting out of control and I don't support cancel culture at all.
    Not supporting cancel culture is fine. I generally avoid supporting things that don't exist myself.

23. - Top - End - #353

Again, nothing is being cancelled. People are just calling out things that may or may not be objectionable. This has happened throughout all known human history. There is no special circumstance happening today that makes it any different from the past. "Cancel culture" is just a buzzword for "boycott", which is just another word for "avoid". For example, I don't shop at Wal Mart for personal reasons. I will gladly talk to other people IRL and tell them why, and try to get them to not shop there either. Am I "cancelling" Wal Mart? Or am I behaving as people have always behaved and not doing something because I dislike doing that thing?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-15 at 10:22 PM.

24. - Top - End - #354
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Not supporting cancel culture is fine. I generally avoid supporting things that don't exist myself.
    That's wonderful to hear.

Again, nothing is being cancelled. People are just calling out things that may or may not be objectionable. This has happened throughout all known human history. There is no special circumstance happening today that makes it any different from the past. "Cancel culture" is just a buzzword for "boycott", which is just another word for "avoid". For example, I don't shop at Wal Mart for personal reasons. I will gladly talk to other people IRL and tell them why, and try to get them to not shop there either. Am I "cancelling" Wal Mart? Or am I behaving as people have always behaved and not doing something because I dislike doing that thing?
    I never been to Wal-Mart, so I can't vouch an opinion about it. Anyway, I'm just so glad that my birthday is coming up. I'm going to be 36,000,000 years old.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-04-15 at 10:31 PM.

25. - Top - End - #355

I never been to Wal-Mart, so I can't vouch an opinion about it.
    You don't need an opinion on Wal Mart to answer the question.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Titan in the Playground

That's wonderful to hear.
    Cancel Culture does not exist. It's a buzzword for "Boycotting that I don't approve of."

Even assuming it did exist, you would be participating in it by boycotting Netflix for producing "Cuties."

27. - Top - End - #357
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

You don't need an opinion on Wal Mart to answer the question.
    I know that. I'm just saying that I've never been to Wal-Mart.

28. - Top - End - #358

I know that. I'm just saying that I've never been to Wal-Mart.
    That's irrelevant. But that's ok, because Mystic Muse had a better example anyway. Were you not engaging in "cancel culture" when you decried how bad "Cuties" was and wanted to boycott Netflix?
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-15 at 10:54 PM.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

That's irrelevant. But that's ok, because Mystic Muse had a better example anyway. Were you not engaging in "cancel culture" when you decried how bad "Cuties" was and wanted to boycott Netflix?
    Of course, I wanted to cancel Cuties. I even made a thread about it.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Titan in the Playground

Of course, I wanted to cancel Cuties. I even made a thread about it.
    That's not answering the question.

How is wanting to cancel Netflix/Cuties okay and not cancel culture, but the Seuss estate deciding to no longer produce a product with no outside impetus not okay, and not cancel culture?