New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 50 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Colossus in the Playground

Post Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    In other words, the kind of people who would bully you regardless? The closure you want almost certainly wouldn't happen even in your ideal scenario, because they are very superficial, almost stereotypical bullies.

The best closure would likely be to let it go, forget them entirely, and live your life on your own terms.
    The kind of people who value status above everything else and inflict pain on people they perceive as weaker or different because they get off on conflict but don't have the cajones needed to pick a fight with someone their own size.

I stopped getting picked on for the most part about halfway through high school when I finally made some friends and had people who had my back. The asshats didn't change, they kept picking on other people, the only thing that changed was that it was known that I had a support network.

Meaning that either 1: Joining a social group gave me enough status that I was no longer a valid target. Or 2: They were cowards who didn't want to pick a fight with half a dozen people.

Meaning that If I showed up to a reunion with enough power or status that I obviously outclassed them and any sane person with eyes could see, they would either 1: Be lining up to kiss my ass and I could tell them to piss off or 2: They'd soil themselves at the first reminder of the kind of crap they'd done to me and the possibility that I might hold a grudge.

Either of those would pretty much be the closest thing to justice I could ever get for what they did, and thus my best bet for getting closure.
    Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Stabbing back won't heal the wound faster. Just my 2 cents.
    No, but I used kidney destroying injuries for a reason.

Sometimes the only way to heal from an injury is to replace the damaged part.

I'd rather take the kidneys of the bastard that deliberately destroyed mine than hope that some innocent third party dies in an accident that leaves their organs viable for transplant.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-14 at 11:06 AM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    The kind of people who value status above everything else and inflict pain on people they perceive as weaker or different because they get off on conflict but don't have the cajones needed to pick a fight with someone their own size.

I stopped getting picked on for the most part about halfway through high school when I finally made some friends and had people who had my back. The asshats didn't change, they kept picking on other people, the only thing that changed was that it was known that I had a support network.

Meaning that either 1: Joining a social group gave me enough status that I was no longer a valid target. Or 2: They were cowards who didn't want to pick a fight with half a dozen people.

Meaning that If I showed up to a reunion with enough power or status that I obviously outclassed them and any sane person with eyes could see, they would either 1: Be lining up to kiss my ass and I could tell them to piss off or 2: They'd soil themselves at the first reminder of the kind of crap they'd done to me and the possibility that I might hold a grudge.

Either of those would pretty much be the closest thing to justice I could ever get for what they did, and thus my best bet for getting closure.
    No, but I used kidney destroying injuries for a reason.

Sometimes the only way to heal from an injury is to replace the damaged part.

I'd rather take the kidneys of the bastard that deliberately destroyed mine than hope that some innocent third party dies in an accident that leaves their organs viable for transplant.
    Do you really want justice (which would be to get them to stop bullying altogether), or do you just want to be the bigger bully?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would agree with your assertions Rater, except:

1. Those people wouldn't care even if you were better then them. They are adults now, they deal with the same world of geniuses and instagram models you do.

2. You won't be any happier for being superior. Happiness doesn't come from social dominance, it comes from (redacted).

Honestly if you really want to feel better, go help kids with bullying issues. Helping others with the same issues will do more for your mental wellbeing then a million years of mentally flagellating a fry cook somewhere.

Edit: In a wholly unrelated topic, my body dismorphia has been flaring up all week and it's just awful. I've been wincing every time I look in a mirror and putting on baggier clothes again. I know objectively I look basically like I did two weeks ago, but two weeks without going to the gym due to a shoulder injury is triggering my issues with self loathing.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-05-14 at 03:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

4. - Top - End - #1084

Do you really want justice (which would be to get them to stop bullying altogether), or do you just want to be the bigger bully?
    Justice isn't just "the bad things stop."

Justice is the bad behavior being stopped and the people responsible suffering an appropriate negative consequence in order to either teach them the error of their ways or at least give them a taste of the pain they inflicted on their victims.

The people who hurt me were never punished. In some cases, I was punished for being upset that I was being bullied, abused, belittled, physically assaulted, or sexually harassed.

Wanting some kind of punishment or retribution appropriate to their crimes to finally befall the people who hurt me after years of them having gotten away with hurting myself and several others with no consequences does not make me a bully.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #1085

Justice isn't just "the bad things stop."

Justice is the bad behavior being stopped and the people responsible suffering an appropriate negative consequence in order to either teach them the error of their ways or at least give them a taste of the pain they inflicted on their victims.

The people who hurt me were never punished. In some cases, I was punished for being upset that I was being bullied, abused, belittled, physically assaulted, or sexually harassed.

Wanting some kind of punishment or retribution appropriate to their crimes to finally befall the people who hurt me after years of them having gotten away with hurting myself and several others with no consequences does not make me a bully.
    No.

You're conflating justice with punishment. That's revenge talking, and revenge not justice.

6. - Top - End - #1086

No.

You're conflating justice with punishment. That's revenge talking, and revenge not justice.
    Even the most forgiving and lenient justice systems focused on rehabilitation rather than retribution include an aspect of punishment. The fear of retribution is, in many cases, the only thing keeping people from breaking rules in the first place.

Great example: I'd have probably kicked the asses of some of these people years ago and we'd have never had this conversation if the principal hadn't threatened to have me arrested if I didn't apologize to the asshat I laid hands-on when I'd finally had enough in the seventh grade. Yeah, go ahead principal this-is-literally-the-only-interaction-we-had-so-I-don't-remember-his-name, tell a kid that it doesn't matter how badly he's being mistreated, if he defends himself he's the criminal. That won't scar the kid for life.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Edit: In a wholly unrelated topic, my body dismorphia has been flaring up all week and it's just awful. I've been wincing every time I look in a mirror and putting on baggier clothes again. I know objectively I look basically like I did two weeks ago, but two weeks without going to the gym due to a shoulder injury is triggering my issues with self loathing.
    Heyyy, this does not sound very nice. Anything the random folks from the net can do to help?
    Call me Laco or Ladislav (if you need to be formal). Avatar comes from the talented linklele.
    Formerly GMing: Riddle of Steel: Soldiers of Fortune

Quote Originally Posted by Kol Korran View Post
    Instead of having an adventure, from which a cool unexpected story may rise, you had a story, with an adventure built and designed to enable the story, but also ensure (or close to ensure) it happens.

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by lacco36 View Post
    Heyyy, this does not sound very nice. Anything the random folks from the net can do to help?
    I don't know. I feel like exercise is kind of a crutch that I keep off my mental health issues with. Yesterday I was crying about my grandparents (I seldom cry) and today I feel ye olde self hatred. Exercise evens me my moods out I think, and also feels like I am doing something about my unattractiveness.

On low days like today I just kind of look back at my personality as one giant coping mechanism and it gets me more down lol

I'm going to play hookie and go on a bike ride, it will help more then wallowing lol.
    Last edited by Tvtyrant; 2021-05-14 at 04:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #1089

Even the most forgiving and lenient justice systems focused on rehabilitation rather than retribution include an aspect of punishment.
    Not always. Punitive measures are not an inherent part of justice.
    The fear of retribution is, in many cases, the only thing keeping people from breaking rules in the first place.
    That has been proven false time and again. Punishment is not a deterrent to crime.

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Titan in the Playground

From my admittedly limited knowledge on the subject, I've heard that rehabilitation and reintegration into society are more effective at mitigating reoffending than punishment is (although I'll admit to having no clue at effectiveness at stopping a first offence). I'd love to help teach a skills class at a prison, although I suspect I lack the required skills for it, have considered working in prison admin before, and can't say much more on the subject here.

Now I'll admit that reintegration might not help with all criminals, but honestly from the ones I've had the chance to talk to feeling like they're part of a community has been important in helping them remain honest.

Honestly, if it doesn't work in the midst extreme systems, why should it work in less extreme ones? The issue is not that Rater was told to stop being violent with a bully, it's that no surely was made to change the bully's behaviour.

I've been hit in the face for walking down the street before. I've also been punished in the face for wordlessly wondering why a stranger just hit me in the face and caused my glasses to bend out of shape. It's not fun, and if you escalate to that level in my mind you're no better than the person who provoked you.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-05-14 at 07:09 PM.

11. - Top - End - #1091

Anyway, I've ben trying to watch some classic anime recently.I tried Fist of The North Star but the disconnect involving Hearts got to me.

How the help does someone get that... Fricking... Fat in a post-atomic hellscape. The whole world is an irradiated desert due to a worst-case scenario nuclear war and t's a recurring plot-point that there's no food.

The man is like eight feet and wider than he's tall. He's so fat that he might as well be made of rubber.

I knew going in that I needed to turn off my brain because the martial arts in this series are basically magic... In fact, the Crunchyroll subtitles flat out call Kenshirou's pressure-point manipulation a 'spell,' but I cannot suspend my disbelief on how someone gets so god damn fat on a starvation diet.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #1092
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I don't believe in revenge. I believe in forgiveness and give everyone a second chance to some extent.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

13. - Top - End - #1093

Anyway, I've ben trying to watch some classic anime recently.I tried Fist of The North Star but the disconnect involving Hearts got to me.

How the help does someone get that... Fricking... Fat in a post-atomic hellscape. The whole world is an irradiated desert due to a worst-case scenario nuclear war and t's a recurring plot-point that there's no food.

The man is like eight feet and wider than he's tall. He's so fat that he might as well be made of rubber.

I knew going in that I needed to turn off my brain because the martial arts in this series are basically magic... In fact, the Crunchyroll subtitles flat out call Kenshirou's pressure-point manipulation a 'spell,' but I cannot suspend my disbelief on how someone gets so god damn fat on a starvation diet.
    I'm pretty sure Mr Heart outright eats people. Also Mr Heart and the gang he's apart of are like, kings of the wasteland. The fact that he's huge is a sign of just HOW luxurious they are. Its less "how are you this big?" and more "How dare you be able to get this big" for me.

14. - Top - End - #1094

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I'm pretty sure Mr Heart outright eats people.
    That's what Dub of The North Star said, but checking Tvtropes and the fist wiki shows no sign of this in the canon.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

15. - Top - End - #1095
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    I really can't trust people on the internet anymore because I have this major trust issue when it comes to friends on the internet. Also, I won't give anyone a free pass anymore because I don't believe in giving anyone a second chance.
    I don't believe in revenge. I believe in forgiveness and give everyone a second chance to some extent.
    Uh. You literally said that you don't believe in giving anyone a second chance in this thread.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Uh. You literally said that you don't believe in giving anyone a second chance in this thread.
    Oh yeah. I forgot about that. Scratch that.

17. - Top - End - #1097
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    He's right though.

18. - Top - End - #1098
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Anyway. Today I play Pokemon Showdown with Io and I beat Io's Arceus with my Magikarp.

Spoiler: Io's Reaction
    Show
    Io: What is the name of Outlands just happen here?!

Me: I told you Magikarp can beat Arceus.

Io: But how though?

Me: Swords Dance/Baton Pass/Flail combo, dude.

Io: I feel like I've lost a sense of reality and competition.

19. - Top - End - #1099

Which one are we scratching?

20. - Top - End - #1100
    Titan in the Playground

That one, clearly.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2021-05-15 at 07:47 AM.

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

The one I mention I believe in second chances.

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Titan in the Playground

The one I mention I believe in second chances.
    Wait, no, that's the wrong one!
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Wait, no, that's the wrong one!
    Yes, that's the right one.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Titan in the Playground

Well I guess year 3 means that's me done for, it's nice knowing you

As a side note, while I believe in second chances, and even subsequent ones, I don't think they can always be with the same people. Sometimes you should just let someone be and he your second chance elsewhere
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

25. - Top - End - #1105
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    EDIT: Parts of Arizona are, during the summer, closer to boiling than to freezing.
    This sort of bothered me at the time, and it's bothering me more the more I think about it.

That is very hot, you're saying that the temperature is over 50 degrees centigrade, I know the area by the Suez canal sometimes hits 60 centigrade, but that's unusual and due to the climate doing strange things, the wind locally going backward or something, I think it doesn't happen most years. Fifty degrees centigrade is over 120 degrees Farenheit, are you sure that's right?
    Last edited by halfeye; 2021-05-15 at 02:15 PM.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

26. - Top - End - #1106

Yes, that's the right one.
    Hope you never need a second chance at anything, then.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    This sort of bothered me at the time, and it's bothering me more the more I think about it.

That is very hot, you're saying that the temperature is over 50 degrees centigrade, I know the area by the Suez canal sometimes hits 60 centigrade, but that's unusual and due to the climate doing strange things, the wind locally going backward or something, I think it doesn't happen most years. Fifty degrees centigrade is over 120 degrees Farenheit, are you sure that's right?
    Arizona and other parts of the US can get amazingly, unimaginably hot. These are not usually the parts with major population centers, but they do exist.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

28. - Top - End - #1108
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

For Lake Havasu City, Arizona, Wikipedia gives, for July climate data, in degrees Celsius:
    Daily mean: 35.6
    Mean daily high: 42.9
    Mean (over 50 years) high for the month: 48
    Absolute maximum: 52

This can be compared with Death Valley (Furnace Creek Station), California, where for July:
    Daily mean: 39.0
    Mean daily high: 47.6
    Mean high for the month: 53.0
    Absolute maximum: 56.7

29. - Top - End - #1109
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DavidSh View Post
    For Lake Havasu City, Arizona, Wikipedia gives, for July climate data, in degrees Celsius:
    Daily mean: 35.6
    Mean daily high: 42.9
    Mean (over 50 years) high for the month: 48
    Absolute maximum: 52

This can be compared with Death Valley (Furnace Creek Station), California, where for July:
    Daily mean: 39.0
    Mean daily high: 47.6
    Mean high for the month: 53.0
    Absolute maximum: 56.7
    Humanity, because why settle for inhabitable lands?
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #1110

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Humanity, because why settle for inhabitable lands?
    Death Valley isn't really inhabited except by loose definitions of the word.
    Spoiler: Phoenix, on the other hand....
    Show