New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 43 of 50 FirstFirst ... 18333435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1261
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Well, I'm sorry but my intention of writing LGBT people in a Pokemon story isn't bad.
    Nobody has said your intention is bad. But there's a difference between intention and execution. For example, let's say I see a fish trapped in an aquarium too small for it, and I want to rescue it, so I take it and toss it in the ocean. My intention was good but if it was a freshwater fish then I just killed it, so my execution was horrible.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #1262
    Ettin in the Playground

Dances into the Random Banter...has it been awhile!

I'm alive, mostly. Hope everyone else is doing alright?
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

3. - Top - End - #1263

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

In the final stages of potentially getting at awesome new job on an awesome new city!

4. - Top - End - #1264
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    Okay, important question.

Why are you making these characters LGBT? How are you illustrating that they're LGBT?

Answer in as much detail as you can.
    The reason why I'm making an LGBT characters is to be inclusive, representation, and diversity which the Pokemon community lack. Also not all my characters are LGBT. One of the Pokemon trainers who happens to be the main characters of the story happens to be bisexual which he develops an attraction to one of his friends who joins in his Pokemon journey early in the story. Of course, his friend feels the same way as he did. Also, his little sister who joins her older brother accompanied by her girlfriend and her two other friends joins her older brother's journey later in the story. There's also a non-binary trainer who's a very very Pokemon Trainer who's a rival with a grudge. I'm all about diversity and representation. This isn't a traditional and typical Pokemon Fan-Fiction story.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

5. - Top - End - #1265

Also not all my characters are LGBT. One of the Pokemon trainers who happens to be the main characters of the story happens to be bisexual
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the B in LGBT stand for Bisexual?

6. - Top - End - #1266
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't the B in LGBT stands for Bisexual?
    Yes. B stands for bisexual.

7. - Top - End - #1267
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    In one of my fanfics, the main character's mother dated another woman back in college but ultimately married a man. The relationship with the woman was 100% serious on her part(on the other woman's part, not so much...)

I've considered doing a "oh, that means you weren't really bu you were just a straight girl experimenting" thing(mostly just the character mentioning that that attitude among people frustrates her) but I don't think I can write that with the amount of nuance to do it more than as a one-off mention and can't think of a place in my outline where a mention of it would work.

...And honestly, the fact that she was dead for over a year and then came back because a fight between a serial killer and a group of Nazis resulted in zombie juice being on her grave is probably more relevant in most situations.
    I would advise against that, the "I was just experimenting" thing is kinda... not great a look. You can still keep the idea that she was questioning and trying things out, but the "just experimenting" language comes from "gay people aren't real" thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post

I'm turning into sand!

8. - Top - End - #1268
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Let's say you've lived in New York City all your life. How well do you think you would be able to write about a farmer? Probably not very well, one would imagine. Especially if you have no farmer friends to ask about their experiences. But if you do have a lot of farmer friends, they could help with a lot of it.
    I see your point and I understand where you're coming from.

9. - Top - End - #1269

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    I would advise against that, the "I was just experimenting" thing is kinda... not great a look. You can still keep the idea that she was questioning and trying things out, but the "just experimenting" language comes from "gay people aren't real" thinking.!
    I think you misunderstood.

From her perspective, that was a serious relationship. She was not 'experimenting', and when the other woman broke up with her she did not take it well.

The idea is that the attitude of "oh, you married a man, that must mean you weren't really into girls" bugs her.

My problem is more that I'm not sure I can work that into the story naturally and in a way that wouldn't be... Misconstrued.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-20 at 12:18 PM.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

10. - Top - End - #1270
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I would advise against that, the "I was just experimenting" thing is kinda... not great a look. You can still keep the idea that she was questioning and trying things out, but the "just experimenting" language comes from "gay people aren't real" thinking.
    Rater is attacking bi-erasure, not promoting experimentation. Monogamous bi-individuals don't stop being bi is essentially the point as I read it.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

11. - Top - End - #1271

From her perspective, that was a serious relationship. She was not 'experimenting', and when the other woman broke up with her she did not take it well.

The idea is that the attitude of "oh, you married a man, that must mean you weren't really into girls" bugs her.

My problem is more that I'm not sure I can work that into the story naturally and in a way that wouldn't be... Misconstrued.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    Rater is attacking bi-erasure, not promoting experimentation. Monogamous bi-individuals don't stop being bi is essentially the point as I read it.
    I misread because I'm actually severely ill right now, sorry!

12. - Top - End - #1272
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unless the focus of the story is on this one character's relationships, i would just leave it out. Let it be on their character sheet and inform the way they act, but writing in detailed background stuff that isnt specifically relevant to the audience's understanding of the character or story tends to be more distracting than engaging.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

13. - Top - End - #1273

I misread because I'm actually severely ill right now, sorry!
    I'm sorry to hear that. I hope you recover swiftly.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1274
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Nobody has said your intention is bad. But there's a difference between intention and execution. For example, let's say I see a fish trapped in an aquarium too small for it, and I want to rescue it, so I take it and toss it in the ocean. My intention was good but if it was a freshwater fish then I just killed it, so my execution was horrible.
    I understand the analogy and the situation of the aquarium. You didn't know about that. So it wasn't your fault. I write stories which is very diverse and inclusive as much as possible and I'm very careful by not offending people in my stories. Of course, I do this as a hobby.

15. - Top - End - #1275
    Titan in the Playground

I understand the analogy and the situation of the aquarium. You didn't know about that. So it wasn't your fault. I write stories which is very diverse and inclusive as much as possible and I'm very careful by not offending people in my stories. Of course, I do this as a hobby.
    No, I don't think you do understand the analogy. Regardless of whether or not you knew what you were doing, the fish is still dead.
    Quote Originally Posted by jamieth View Post
    ...though Talla does her best to sound objective and impartial, it doesn't cover stuff like "ask a 9-year-old to tank for the party."
    My Homebrew

16. - Top - End - #1276
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    No, I don't think you do understand the analogy. Regardless of whether or not you knew what you were doing, the fish is still dead.
    And it's dead as a direct result of your actions, so it absolutely is your fault, despite your good intentions.

17. - Top - End - #1277

Whose fault it is doesn't really matter to the fish, is my point.

18. - Top - End - #1278
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Qwertystop View Post
    Fair point.

19. - Top - End - #1279
    Titan in the Playground

There's actually a good, non-political real world example.

So there's a book that comes out about a shark menacing a beach called "Jaws."

Now eventually, this gets made into a maaaaajor Blockbuster movie, that many people (including the author I think?) Say is better than the book.

The problem is, this puts the idea in a lot of peoples' heads that Great White sharks are dangerous and need exterminated. So, people start hunting Great Whites despite Great Whites not being that dangerous/aggressive as far as sharks go.

I believe this contributed to their current threatened/vulnerable status, and the author has said that if he had any idea what the blowback would be, he never would have written the damn book.

This is as far from the intent as I can imagine (dude became an ocean conservationist), but that doesn't matter. It doesn't change what happened or make it better.
    Last edited by Mystic Muse; 2021-05-20 at 02:16 PM.

20. - Top - End - #1280
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

There's a good, non-political real-world example.

Now eventually, this gets made into a maaaaajor Blockbuster movie, that many people (including the author I think?) Say is better than the book.

The problem is, this puts the idea in a lot of peoples' heads that Great White sharks are dangerous and need to be exterminated. So, people start hunting Great Whites despite Great Whites not being that dangerous/aggressive as far as sharks go.

I believe this contributed to their current threatened/vulnerable status, and the author has said that if he had any idea what the blowback would be, he never would have written the damn book.

This is as far from the intent as I can imagine (dude is an ocean conservationist now), but that doesn't matter. It doesn't change what happened or make it better.
    Sharks are truly neutral and some, if not many people believe that sharks are dangerous, is because sharks are predators which is very common to believe.

21. - Top - End - #1281

There's actually a good, non-political real world example.

The problem is, this puts the idea in a lot of peoples' heads that Great White sharks are dangerous and need exterminated. So, people start hunting Great Whites despite Great Whites not being that dangerous/aggressive as far as sharks go.

This is as far from the intent as I can imagine (dude became an ocean conservationist), but that doesn't matter. It doesn't change what happened or make it better.
    Correct on all fronts, especially how dang good the movie is. The Indianapolis speech alone is one of the greatest moments in cinematic history. That speech is scarier than the whole rest of the movie. And the cinematography in it and the bocking preceding it are just so damned effective while subtle as all get-out.

Theres two scenes in movies i could write essays on just how good they are: the Indianapolis scene in Jaws and the night before the fight stadium scene in Rocky. Dang are those scenes just the pinnacle of filmmaking.

But yeah, it was terrible for sharks worldwide.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-05-20 at 02:48 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1282

I have noticed a correlation between days where I don't feel motivated to do anything, days when I have a persistent headache, and days when I just kind of want to sleep for a thousand years.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1283
    Titan in the Playground

I have noticed a correlation between days where I don't feel motivated to do anything, days when I have a persistent headache, and days when I just kind of want to sleep for a thousand years.
    Must be Thursday, I never could get the hang of Thursdays.

I don't get lesbians. Or rather, I don't get why men find them attractive. I certainly get why women find them attractive, but the men escape me.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

24. - Top - End - #1284
    Titan in the Playground

Sharks are truly neutral and some, if not many people believe that sharks are dangerous, is because sharks are predators which is very common to believe.
    This goes back to the Grammarly problem. I have no idea what you're talking about here, or how it's a response to what I said.

25. - Top - End - #1285
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway. I made my decision to add LGBT characters in my Pokemon Fan Fiction Story and I'm going to stick with it.

Mystic Muse: I'm talking about sharks being predators and the reasons why people believed that they're dangerous.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-05-20 at 02:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1286
    Titan in the Playground

Have you tried adfding characters who are LGBT instead of LGBT characters?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

27. - Top - End - #1287
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Have you tried adfding characters who are LGBT instead of LGBT characters?
    I can't tell if you're joking or serious. It's the same thing.

28. - Top - End - #1288
    Titan in the Playground

I don't get lesbians. Or rather, I don't get why men find them attractive. I certainly get why women find them attractive, but the men escape me.
    As a straight guy, I don't get it either. What's sexy about women not wanting to have sex with me?
    I can't tell if you're joking or serious. It's the same thing.
    But the focus is different.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

29. - Top - End - #1289
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    As a straight guy, I don't get it either. What's sexy about women not wanting to have sex with me?

But the focus is different.
    My point made on both counts.
    Last edited by Anonymouswizard; 2021-05-20 at 03:44 PM.

Show

30. - Top - End - #1290

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Pretty is pretty. I can find them attractive for their looks and/or personality while respecting that they would not find me attractive at all (or being able to acknowledge that I am damned pretty without any attraction to me, like how I can tell some guys are incredibly good-looking while having no interest in them).

Of course, I'm like 99% sure you meant "why do men find them attractive on the basis of being lesbians", which I also don't understand.