New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 223738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,381 to 1,410 of 1487
  1. - Top - End - #1381
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

My computer is now doing occasional severe glitches (such as "typing mostly doesn't register but pressing spacebar opens a dialogue asking if you want to close or minimize the current program") to force me to restart it as an excuse to set my default browser to Edge and pin a bunch of worthless crap to the taskbar.
    Spoiler: Vanity quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    Wow.
    That took a very sudden turn for the dark.

I salute you.
    Quote Originally Posted by AuthorGirl View Post
    I wish it was possible to upvote here.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

2. - Top - End - #1382
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by enderlord99 View Post
    My computer is now doing occasional severe glitches (such as "typing mostly doesn't register but pressing spacebar opens a dialogue asking if you want to close or minimize the current program") to force me to restart it as an excuse to set my default browser to Edge and pin a bunch of worthless crap to the taskbar.
    Is it possible that it might be a virus?
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

3. - Top - End - #1383
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Is it possible that it might be a virus?
    No .
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

I use braces (also known as "curly brackets") to indicate sarcasm. If there are none present, I probably believe what I am saying; should it turn out to be inaccurate trivia, please tell me rather than trying to play along with an apparent joke I don't know I'm making.

4. - Top - End - #1384
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

How old is your keyboard? Similar nonsense happened to me when my mechanical keyboard was damaged by a cat puking on it. Except for the Edge stuff, but thats just Windows being Windows.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-05-24 at 10:44 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

5. - Top - End - #1385
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    How old is your keyboard?
    The external one is pretty old, but the built-in one that exhibited the exact same issue at the exact same time is much newer. Only a few years.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

6. - Top - End - #1386
    Titan in the Playground

Can't help with computer issues, but yeah I have it when things yet to change my default programs.

Finally moved into my new place! Mostly, I need to upgrade to a double bed, get a TV cabinet, the actual wardrobe won't be here for a week, and I'm one bookcase short of unpacking all the boxes. But it's a liveable half state, so I'm happy.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

7. - Top - End - #1387
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The external one is pretty old, but the built-in one that exhibited the exact same issue at the exact same time is much newer. Only a few years.
    If theyre plugged in at the same time, the older one may still be giving phantom inputs that the computer is recognizing, even if you arent touching a key.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

8. - Top - End - #1388
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Can't help with computer issues, but yeah I have it when things yet to change my default programs.

Finally moved into my new place! Mostly, I need to upgrade to a double bed, get a TV cabinet, the actual wardrobe won't be here for a week, and I'm one bookcase short of unpacking all the boxes. But it's a liveable half state, so I'm happy.
    HUZZAH! Hope it brings you happiness!

In other home-related news, my wife and I now own our house free and clear. It is a good day.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

9. - Top - End - #1389
    Colossus in the Playground

BlackDragon

If it's popping up the Minimise/Close etc. menu when you're just pressing Space then Windows thinks the ALT key is being held down. One thing to try is to tap the Alt key a couple of times and see if the problem goes away for a bit (e.g. Windows detected the key being pressed but for some reason didn't detect it being released again).

10. - Top - End - #1390
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

So anyway a few hours ago I start my Discord account and so far it turns out to be a big gathering.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

11. - Top - End - #1391
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    HUZZAH! Hope it brings you happiness!
    Thank you. It feels weird, but that's just my autism playing up, I'll be fine in a couple of weeks

Which is also roughly when the internet gets here, so if I'm bored of Streets of Take, Stardew Valley, and Kerbal Explosion Program I can download some new games.

In other home-related news, my wife and I now own our house free and clear. It is a good day.
    Beef sausages! That's amazing news.

I'm assuming you're doing the traditional American and taking it with you to Cool City TM. At least I think it's the traditional American thing, am I just remembering a Stilton-fueled dream?

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

12. - Top - End - #1392
    Ettin in the Playground

There's this product I drink called "V8 Fusion" that's half fruit-juice and have vegetable-juice, and my mother insists that I drink less of it because it has too much sugar... which would make some sense if she didn't also insist that I eat (rather than give away) the peaches canned in heavy syrup that I bought by accident several years ago.

I tell her "it's half fruit juice and half vegetable juice" and she says "yes, but the other half is artifical junk, right?" as if she thinks there are always three halves in a bottle.
    Last edited by enderlord99; 2021-05-25 at 02:18 AM.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

13. - Top - End - #1393

There's this product I drink called "V8 Fusion" that's half fruit-juice and have vegetable-juice, and my mother insists that I drink less of it because it has too much sugar... which would make some sense if she didn't also insist that I eat (rather than give away) the peaches canned in heavy syrup that I bought by accident several years ago.

I tell her "it's half fruit juice and half vegetable juice" and she says "yes, but the other half is artificial junk, right?" as if she thinks there are always three halves in a bottle.
    No offense intended but your mother sounds obnoxious.

Looking at the nutrition facts for a randomly determined flavor of V8 fusion(the strawberry banana one) it does have a lot of sugar, but is also has more complex carbohydrates and a gram of protein. The fruit juice is "reconstituted" but is otherwise "natural" for what that's worth.

Now, in terms of calories, it's 160 a bottle, which is more than the equivalent amount of most sodas, but the more complex carbs and the protein mean that it probably satisfies hunger more than a soda, which is basically just empty sugar water, and a single bottle also has a quite a lot of vitamin a and vitamin c. A single 12 oz bottle is also the equipment of 3/4 of a cup each of fruit and vegetables, so if you're trying to follow the "standardized diet" of 2000 calories divided among approved servings per day of proteins, fruits, vegetables, dairy, and grain, it's a good way to get your servings in while keeping each serving relatively low calory

It's probably not as good as just eating fruits and vegetables, but as a beverage, it's better than the alternatives as long as you you're smart about drinking it

Of course, if you only care about the flavor and/or want to cheese off your mother you can switch to V8 fusion light, which is only 50 calories a serving... But has Sucralose, an artificial sweetener. No added sugar and only12 total grams of carbs, but also no protein and significantly fewer vitamins.

So less sugar, but t's also objectively less good for you and actually does have "artificial junk" in it, a pure troll move.

(Be warned, sucralose is an artificial sweetener and while I don't know the exact facts of it I know that some artificial sweeteners have been linked to increased appetite or the body extracting more sugars from certain foods than they otherwise would.)
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #1394
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    No offense intended but your mother sounds obnoxious.
    I... may have been mis-remembering a couple things when I posted that. I was in an upset mood and also half-asleep.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

15. - Top - End - #1395

In high school history, a student-teacher who'd basically taken over the class gave a very good lecture regarding a certain historical travesty. I'm not gonna say which one, but it was a big one.

In particular, each student was given a card with a picture and short biography of a real person who was known to be a victim and you had to wait until the very end to see if your person survived or not.

The descriptions were not graphic by any means, but I cried thinking about it.

No one else did. This might be my memory playing tricks on me but I think at least one person seemed... Bored by it.

I don't know if that means that there's something wrong with me or if there was something wrong with everyone else.
    Last edited by Rater202; 2021-05-25 at 08:18 AM.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #1396
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

I don't know if that means that there's something wrong with me or if there was something wrong with everyone else.
    Not necessarily something wrong with any of you.

17. - Top - End - #1397
    Titan in the Playground

People react differently to things. From what I gather of your description, you got invested in a teaching game/exercise and your classmate didn't. This isn't a failure on either of you.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #1398

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    People react differently to things. From what I gather of your description, you got invested in a teaching game/exercise and your classmate didn't. This isn't a failure on either of you.
    It wasn't the exercise. It was th lecture we had to listen to after getting our card, which to remind you told the stories of real people, and finding out wo loved and who died.

A half-hour description, non-graphic but detailed, with pictures, of human evil and pointless death and cruelty. And I was the only one who reacted.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #1399
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

It wasn't the exercise. It was th lecture we had to listen to after getting our card, which to remind you told the stories of real people, and finding out wo loved and who died.

A half-hour description, non-graphic but detailed, with pictures, of human evil and pointless death and cruelty. And I was the only one who reacted.
    You know there have been 107 billion people? They all live, love and die.

Generally speaking you need to have a reason to care, or all you would do is sit around crying about the people who die every minute. The teacher wove a narrative that you bought into and they didn't, nothing weird there.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

20. - Top - End - #1400
    Titan in the Playground

Only 107 billion? Come on humans, start reproducing, we can hit 2x1011.

Show

21. - Top - End - #1401
    Dwarf in the Playground

PaladinGuy

You said you had a date tonight so I hope you’re ready to do your part.

22. - Top - End - #1402

Allegedly, the practice of declawing cats started in dogfighting rings where a declawed cat would be throw to the fighting dogs to "blood them" and get them good and ready for a fight to the death.

If true... That would say interesting but disturbing things about the veterinary profession, that something that was intended for horrific animal abuse would become standard practices.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #1403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beeftank View Post
    You said you had a date tonight so I hope you’re ready to do your part.
    We've tried, but apparently there's issues with us creating new humans. Disappointing, but if she's ever okay with raising some kids we can ask the government of there's any little girls looking for a parent or four.

Show

24. - Top - End - #1404
    Ettin in the Playground

Allegedly, the practice of declawing cats started in dogfighting rings where a declawed cat would be throw to the fighting dogs to "blood them" and get them good and ready for a fight to the death.

If true... That would say interesting but disturbing things about the veterinary profession, that something that was intended for horrific animal abuse would become standard practices.
    Declawing cats is not "standard practice."

It's cruel in and of itself, and most vets refuse to do it for that very reason.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

25. - Top - End - #1405
    Titan in the Playground

It's cruel in and of itself, and most vets refuse to do it for that very reason.
    This. While I get the desire to declaw cats, it's as horrific as removing whiskers. Yes it means you have to train your cat to scratch the scratching post instead of the furniture, but you should train your cat anyway.

I sadly don't own a cat, but everybody I know who owns cats likes their claws, and the only reason my girlfriend's family hasn't trained their cat to use a scratching post is because she was a rescue moggy and they became willing to have a scratched sofa.

Now I don't know any vets, and standard practice probably differs from place to place, but from what I know they tend to recommend learning how to handle your pet over declawing. It's literally illegal* over here, although I believe trimming claws isn't (although I'm still uncomfortable with claw clipping). If you don't want your cat scratching trim their nails, don't remove the tip of their finger.

* It might be allowed in 'claw or paw' situations, I'm not certain.

Show

26. - Top - End - #1406

1: I am fully aware that it is cruel and hurtful.

2: It might not be anymore, but it was standard practice within living memory to the point that my cat owners would get it done without a second thought.

The first pair of cats we owned my family was considered weird because we only declawed the front(we did not know what the process entailed at the time) and the declawing was thrown in when we got them fixed.

Granted, that was over 20 years ago.

See also, the practice of docking the ears and amputating the tails of certain breeds of dogs simply because people think that's how they're supposed to look. Now tha'ts considered abusive, but it was ridiculously common practice not that long ago and still happens often enough to be notable.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

27. - Top - End - #1407

One fun thing about being geninely very unwell is that sometimes you get to experience yourself at the most delirious.

Last night I had convinced myself my 2litre water bottle was full of helpful ice children who would protect me, and that I wold protect them/ Also I spoke exclusively in a Russian accent, up until the point I noticed what time it is after which I immediately switched to Canadian for a "god ****ing damnit" before slipping back into Russian.

28. - Top - End - #1408
    Ettin in the Playground

I had pneumonia as a kid (twice) and I agree being really sick makes people delirious. The funny is not anywhere near enough to redeem the experience.
    Show
    Wow.

I salute you.

29. - Top - End - #1409

I had pneumonia as a kid (twice) and I agree being really sick makes people delirious. The funny is not anywhere near enough to redeem the experience.
    Oh yeah no I agree entirely I'd like to sleep properly please.

Or at the very least be delirious on line so it'll amuse my friends.

30. - Top - End - #1410
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LaZodiac View Post
    One fun thing about being geninely very unwell is that sometimes you get to experience yourself at the most delirious.

Last night I had convinced myself my 2litre water bottle was full of helpful ice children who would protect me, and that I wold protect them/ Also I spoke exclusively in a Russian accent, up until the point I noticed what time it is after which I immediately switched to Canadian for a "god ****ing damnit" before slipping back into Russian.
    You okay, Zodi?
    I'm kinda jealous, my migraines don't give me any funny, just a desire for the sweet relief of death.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.