New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: A Wild Lurker Appears! Hyoi's Random Banter #232

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    Oh no, I never suffered any consequences unless you count the teacher coming out of the room and yelling at(but not punishing) me when the confrontation between the two asshats deliberately blocking the stairs got loud while they got off without so much as a warning.

In short, I was being told that I did not have the right by someone who has no authority to make that call. I assume the fact that was never written up or reported to the office(this is a two-three times a week occurrence for two weeks, then the asshats got bored with messing with me) or otherwise gotten in trouble tells me that the teacher knew she had no leg to stand on because it wasn't until high school that I regularly encountered teachers who had an opportunity to screw me over or punish me for another kid's behavior but didn't.
    You had the right to tell them to stop blocking you. She had the right to yell at you. I see no disconnect here.

Also, that she didn't bother to do anything further was more likely idlndivlcative that she didn't care about pursuing it further. If someone actually has no leg to stand on and attempts anyway, they tend to not notice that they are wrong.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #182
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You had the right to tell them to stop blocking you. She had the right to yell at you. I see no disconnect here.
    On the contrary, someone does not have the right to chastise or punish someone else for enforcing their own rights, particularly when the people violating those rights are right there, admit it, are unrepentant about it, and this is the third time they've caused this exact same situation.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

3. - Top - End - #183

On the contrary, someone does not have the right to chastise or punish someone else for enforcing their own rights, particularly when the people violating those rights are right there, admit it, are unrepentant about it, and this is the third time they've caused this exact same situation.
    You said she didn't punish you. She yelled at you. She absolutely had that right. Anyone has the right to chastise anyone else. Words are just words. Just because you have the right to say one thing doesn't take away someone else's rights to say another thing.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-04 at 11:19 AM.

4. - Top - End - #184

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You said she didn't punish you. She yelled at you. She a solutely had that right. Anyone has the right to chastise anyone else. Words are just words. Just because you wlhave the right to say one thing doesn't take away someone else's rights to say another thing.
    I said "chastise or punish." Yelling is chastisement.

Allowing a teacher to chastise a student for enforcing their rights in front of the people who are deliberately blocking that students path when those people admit to it simply causes the student to grow up into an adult who doesn't trust anyone in a position of authority.

On multiple occasions, this woman decided that chastising me for being upset that the same asshats were deliberately making me late to class, five times in total, was an appropriate use of the authority. Not chastising the people blocking the stairwell so that I could either ague with them and be late or go around the long way and be just as late when...

...I'm sorry, I just now realized that those two crapheads would have been skipping class when they did this and now I'm even more pissed off that I got chastised and they didn't.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

5. - Top - End - #185

I said "chastise or punish." Yelling is chastisement.

Allowing a teacher to chastise a student for enforcing their rights in front of the people who are deliberately blocking that students path when those people admit to it simply causes the student to grow up into an adult who doesn't trust anyone in a position of authority.

On multiple occasions, this woman decided that chastising me for being upset that the same asshats were deliberately making me late to class, five times in total, was an appropriate use of the authority. Not chastising the people blocking the stairwell so that I could either ague with them and be late or go around the long way and be just as late when...

...I'm sorry, I just now realized that those two crapheads would have been skipping class when they did this and now I'm even more pissed off that I got chastised and they didn't.
    Yeah, anyone can chastise anyone. Again, those are just words. Your right to say something ("move out of my way") does not take away her right to say something different ("stop telling them that").

Whats more, if it was in school in the US, you have significantly curtailed rights regardless, so it's even more not an issue.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Ok, I guess that you want to hear the full story. That child used to be a loyal supporter on Youtube. The child made sent a friend request on Facebook which I accepted. We started to talk on Facebook messenger. The child made an inappropriate and disgusting comment. The child wanted to talk to me in a video chat. I've completely blocked the child on Facebook and Youtube. Now you know the full story.
    It's time to get my Magikarp on!

7. - Top - End - #187
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bartmanhomer View Post
    Ok, I guess that you want to hear the full story. That child used to be a loyal supporter on Youtube. The child made sent a friend request on Facebook which I accepted. We started to talk on Facebook messenger. The child made an inappropriate and disgusting comment. The child wanted to talk to me in a video chat. I've completely blocked the child on Facebook and Youtube. Now you know the full story.
    Maybe keep a bit more distance between yourself and your youtube supporters in general. Your audience/supporters =/= your friends.

8. - Top - End - #188
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Maybe keep a bit more distance between yourself and your youtube supporters in general. Your audience/supporters =/= your friends.
    Yeah, this. And it goes double for kids. There's a reason that big name YouTubers (and other celebrities) have personal and professional pages on Facebook.

I'm digging out one of my old address at a book this evening. I'm going to actually finish writing the plan for it and then maybe write the thing.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Form View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Yeah, this. And it goes double for kids. There's a reason that big name YouTubers (and other celebrities) have personal and professional pages on Facebook.

I'm digging out one of my old address at a book this evening. I'm going to actually finish writing the plan for it and then maybe write the thing.
    Yes, I'm going to back away and distance myself to my youtube supporters. Anyway, I got a lot of Youtuber supporters who subscribe to my Youtube channel. About 1,200+ subscribers. I don't know if I consider myself a major huge YouTuber on YouTube but I'm getting there.

10. - Top - End - #190
    Titan in the Playground

Things I hate #384: when a radio station is playing a song I like, say Hallelujah, and the presenter devices what they really need to do is talk over it with some meaningless twaddle.

Ah, but Anonymouswizard, you somewhere below average attractiveness spellcaster, I hear you cry, surely you can just not listen to that kind of station. Which is true, except whenever there's disagreement over what station to tune into I always lose that fight.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

11. - Top - End - #191

Every so often I hear stories about people having animals that are perfectly healthy put down for no reason because they're bored with their pet and I can't help but think "who the hell puts down an animal with nothing wrong with it?" That is literally the opposite of a vet's job, right?

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

12. - Top - End - #192

Every so often I hear stories about people having animals that are perfectly healthy put down for no reason because they're bored with their pet and I can't help but think "who the hell puts down an animal with nothing wrong with it?" That is literally the opposite of a vet's job, right?
    Vets aren't forbidden from euthanizing health animals (they also are not required to). Sometimes it can be argued to be a humane choice; if the person is getting rid of their animal anyway, the other options usually tend towards just leaving them somewhere, which can make it turn feral and potentially breed of they haven't been spayed or neutered, or it can go to a shelter, most of which put down their animals after a (usually fairly short) time period.

That all being said, a lot of them (I think most) will usually refuse.

13. - Top - End - #193

On that topic, it kind of bugs me that people barely blink an eye at euthanizing an animal but have issues when you're talking about a human being.

A person who has a terminal illness that is slowly and painfully killing them and who has decided that they're at the point they just want to get it over with, unless what they have is affecting their judgment, is capable of making an informed choice and consenting to have their life terminated.

A dying cat or dog doesn't. They just know that they're sick or in pain and their human has taken them to the place where they go when they're sick or hurting to get something jabbed in them that makes them feel better. They don't know that they're not gonna wake up from that nap.

These are the other kinds of things I think about. I'm sure you can see why I prefer thinking about how to abuse the mechanics of comic book science.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

14. - Top - End - #194

Yeah. The older I get and the more I look at hot-topic issues during my childhood, the more I see them in a new light.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-04 at 01:13 PM.

15. - Top - End - #195

There are a lot of things that I had strong and, frankly, somewhat ignorant opinions of, and then I get older and learn more and I realize that it's an incredibly complicated issue, my opinions were sometimes objectively wrong, and in at least one case I legitimately didn't have a right to have an opinion it was so complicated and so removed from my life experiences.

I've been led to believe that that's part of growing mature, the ability to see that an issue is complicated and understand that your input is not necessary and that there might not be an easy solution...

And then I compare that to both my personal experiences and stories I've heard and realize that enough people stop maturing before that stage to be legitimately concerning.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

I hate it when other people judge negatively about homeless people that they believe that all homeless people are evil. Just because they don't have a home doesn't mean they're evil. I wish people could stop judging homeless people negatively about it.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-04-04 at 01:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #197
    Titan in the Playground

Finally got down to reading The Ministry for Fate Core, and finally it's exactly what I want in an RPG setting. It's a game based on the classic British science fiction I've been lapping up with increasing severity over the last few years, combined with a dark and gritty edge.

I feel like I can let that poject slide, somebody else has done it better, and move onto another one.

Show

18. - Top - End - #198

The worst part of insomnia: When you get over it you might not get over it at a convenient time.

I ended up sleeping all evening and now I'll be up till 8 am at the least.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

19. - Top - End - #199

BlackDragon

A person who has a terminal illness that is slowly and painfully killing them and who has decided that they're at the point they just want to get it over with, unless what they have is affecting their judgment, is capable of making an informed choice and consenting to have their life terminated.
    That's kind of the problem with this, with respect to humans--proving that they are completely clear and able to make a judgement of that kind, and isn't being pressured into it by doctors or their relatives.

20. - Top - End - #200

Reddit Thread: What's a not-so-bad or minor thing your parents did that still kind of messed you up fir a bit.

Posters: Almost exclusively count tails of serious abuse or insane rules that scarred them for life.

Whether the stories are legit or not I can't help but be terrified by what some people consider minor.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

Reddit Thread: What's a not-so-bad or minor thing your parents did that still kind of messed you up fir a bit.

Posters: Almost exclusively count tails of serious abuse or insane rules that scarred them for life.

Whether the stories are legit or not I can't help but be terrified by what some people consider minor.
    I think that's less "I consider this minor" and more "I didn't pay much attention to the instructions given."
    Like, I the library I work in, their are machines to allow users to borrow documents by themselves and it's a bit apalling how many of them don't seem to bother to read the instructions on the screen "put your library car in front of the blue light. Place your documents on the target" and are confused when it doesn't work.

Add to that that those people probably feel a(n understandable) need to vent about these things so even if they read and understood the instructions they may decide to ignore them.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

22. - Top - End - #202

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I think that's less "I consider this minor" and more "I didn't pay much attention to the instructions given."
    Like, I the library I work in, their are machines to allow users to borrow documents by themselves and it's a bit apalling how many of them don't seem to bother to read the instructions on the screen "put your library car in front of the blue light. Place your documents on the target" and are confused when it doesn't work.

Add to that that those people probably feel a(n understandable) need to vent about these things so even if they read and understood the instructions they may decide to ignore them.
    Yeah, but it is kind of jarring when you're expecting "I always lock the door when I'm in the shower becuase of that one time my dad thought I was my mom and tried to get in with me, it's been ten years but we're all still embarrassed about it" and get "My parents kicked me out the day I turned eighteen and kept all of my money and possessions as 'back rent.' It's been ten years but I'm still in crippling debt from the things I had to do just to avoid being homeless."

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

23. - Top - End - #203
    Titan in the Playground

Urgh, picking up Shadow of the Century has made me just want to run Fate more. I should really look into finding a group.

Is it weird that, instead of the 80s action hero protagonists the book is meant for, I'm more interested in running for a team of Centurions dealing with the fact that they've now effectively hit middle age, have lost the war, and just aren't in a pulp adventure novel any more. Heck, my first idea for the PC I'd like to play was The Spirit of Dynamism, a Centurion actively fighting because hiding and keeping their head down goes against their nature.

Show

24. - Top - End - #204

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    Urgh, picking up Shadow of the Century has made me just want to run Fate more. I should really look into finding a group.

Is it weird that, instead of the 80s action hero protagonists the book is meant for, I'm more interested in running for a team of Centurions dealing with the fact that they've now effectively hit middle age, have lost the war, and just aren't in a pulp adventure novel any more. Heck, my first idea for the PC I'd like to play was The Spirit of Dynamism, a Centurion actively fighting because hiding and keeping their head down goes against their nature.
    Not that weird. I think of all kinds of concepts that don't fit the intended tone.

The first serious D&D character I ever made was a Lawful Neutral Dread Necromancer from a community that used donated corpses and the bodies of executed murderers to create skeletons that did all of the manual labor on what I now recognize to be a functional socialist economy but did not at the time know how to describe.

As opposed to the "Anti-Heroic at best Lord of Undead leading an any of tortured souls" that I'm sure was the intent of the class.

I never got to play Mortis Nevergavehimalastname though.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #205
    Titan in the Playground

Not that weird. I think of all kinds of concepts that don't fit the intended tone.
    Yeah, the fact that until relatively recently I tended towards archetypes very strongly, and still like playing with them, is possibly part of the reason I find it weird.

The first serious D&D character I ever made was a Lawful Neutral Dread Necromancer from a community that used donated corpses and the bodies of executed murderers to create skeletons that did all of the manual labor on what I now recognize to be a functional socialist economy but did not at the time know how to describe.

As opposed to the "Anti-Heroic at best Lord of Undead leading an any of tortured souls" that I'm sure was the intent of the class.

I never got to play Mortis Nevergavehimalastname though.
    My first character was a boring Cleric. Because of course my little brother wants to play the wizard.

Of course, these days I'm more interested in playing Clerics of LN Death Gods. Of course I'll heal your wounds, do you know how much paperwork Lady Death has to file when a life ends before it's supposed to?

But heck, playing Wildcat instead of Batman appeals to me. Okay, it's not a perfect analogy because Centurions do have some powers*, but they're still the out of date pulp heroes in a world where younger generations are meant to be succeeding them. Plus unlike the character's your supposed to play they have more personal links to the Shadows, having fought them back in the thirties and many having direct counterparts (Susan Adams might be the Spirit of Dynamism, but there's likely a Shadow of Dynamism or Shadow of Stagnation out there).

* Mainly passive ones like slowed aging, good luck, and being a weirdness magnet, but some are more out there.

Show

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Hm, that somehow gives me an idea for a steampunk scientist hero who got frozen in the victorian era and woke in the modern day surrounded by the tech we have now....whose invention genius only works with steampunk stuff and has to learn to live in the modern day in many ways.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

27. - Top - End - #207

Hm, that somehow gives me an idea for a steampunk scientist hero who got frozen in the victorian era and woke in the modern day surrounded by the tech we have now....whose invention genius only works with steampunk stuff and has to learn to live in the modern day in many ways.
    Reminds me of a surprisingly lengthy X-Men storyline.

To prove a point to Cyclops, who was right in the middle of his "raging asshat becuase character assassination" phase, Beast casually travels back in time to retrieve the original five X-Men—Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman, and Marvel Girl(Jean)—from just after their first encounter with Magneto and brings them to the present... Under false pretenses, because Hank's kind of a jackass himself. He's one of the nicest guys... When he can pull his head out of his ass.

And then the Teen X-Men get stuck in the modern-day and that was part of the X-Men's status quo for a couple of years. Eventually, they went back in time and temporarily suppressed their memories so that they could compete a time loop and not destroy reality, but that took a lot longer than that normally takes in comics.

Part of the conflict was that Teen Hank, the genius... Has no idea how anything works. The advanced super-science that modern Hank uses is beyond him and he even struggles with some common everyday items. (Note, Teen Hank explicitly notes at least once that he's from the 60s Marvel's comic ook time is basically "cosmic beings stop or slow aging and make it so no one notices becuase they like having heroes around.")

To the point that he eventually starts dabbling in magic(which he explicitly considers cheating) just to keep up. Then he made a bad deal and had to give that up less he permenantly turn into a demonic mosnter enslaved to the will of an alternate universe version of Cyclop's psycho ex-wife.

Show
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Most of the Facebook Groups are completely fake, toxic, closed-minded, shady, and unsupportive that I used to be part of. There was one Facebook Group that I got along with everyone in the Facebook Group Community and I was very cool with the whole group with no red flags or anything. Everything went well right until I got banned without any warning from the administrators. I asked the administrator why was I banned from their group and the administrator told me that many people were complaining that I was harassing them in Facebook Messenger which I never spoke to any other members in Facebook Messenger. The only person that I spoke to Messenger was the other administrator which I only told her about what's happening to the group because there was a glitch and she even blocks me due to this false accusation. I tried to explain the administrator to explain my side of the story but he didn't want to listen to me knowing how fake and backstabbing that group was and I was very hurt by this false accusation and banning.
    Last edited by Bartmanhomer; 2021-04-07 at 09:24 PM.

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

I'm happy to see that all of the certifications work is having me pursue are things that a bachelor's degree would have me get if I went back to clllege.

Thinking of trying to begkn getting a bachelor's in like 2 years.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mystic Muse View Post
    I'm happy to see that all of the certifications work is having me pursue are things that a bachelor's degree would have me get if I went back to clllege.

Thinking of trying to begkn getting a bachelor's in like 2 years.
    Cool. Congratulations.