New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The Suicide Squad 2021

Originally Posted by Cazero
    You can tell good and interesting stories without ever breaking the status quo. That's actualy how most franchises started. Like James Bond, or Sherlock Holmes, or Superman. People are crying wolf over this for no damn reason and it's sickening.
    Ease down a little here.

There’s a difference between status quo and complete amnesia. The Bond movies generally operate on status quo, but there’s still some continuity between films.

This is apparently something else altogether—a movie trying to be both a sequel and a standalone film, which doesn’t say much for how it views itself.

Originally Posted by Androgeus
    I think it's a mixture between Quinn being a very popular character (that's why there's an entirely separate animated show centred her), and Robbie enjoys playing the character.
    Robbie had the advantage of making the character memorable out of the gate (thank you, hot pants) and followed it up with better acting than the entire Justice League put together. No surprise she’ll want to ride that wave as long as she can.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

This looks like it could be a lot of fun, unlike most other DC films I've seen so far.

Ridiculous giant starfish from space as the big bad? Yes please, I'll take that over evil clouds and hordes of faceless whatsits any day.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    Does WB lose the rights to Harley Quinn if they don't have a movie with her in it at least once a year? I was really surprised to see her in Justice League Dark, Apokolips War in 2020. And here she is again.
    No. DC comics is own by WB. She is just one of the more popular characters at the moment so her appearance is a gas grab.

4. - Top - End - #34

RedWizardGuy

I don't have high expectations, but I'll watch it just for King Shark. I like the casting of Stallone, although I am not sure he can compete with the King Shark from the Harley Quinn show.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

5. - Top - End - #35

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    So, a sequel that tries its hardest to ignore the fact that the movie it sequels ever existed? Never heard that one before.
    Not a Highlander or Terminator fan, I see.

Given how bad and pointless the first one was, I'll take what they're selling this time without worrying too much about continuity, which doesn't really exist in the DCEU at this point anyway.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

MonkGirl

I watched the first movie, but didn't like it a lot.
    Hope they have new thing to say in the second movie
    The greatest gift you can give another is the purity of your attention
    One of the best methods to show purity is rice purity test

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BloodSquirrel View Post
    Not a Highlander or Terminator fan, I see.

Given how bad and pointless the first one was, I'll take what they're selling this time without worrying too much about continuity, which doesn't really exist in the DCEU at this point anyway.
    It's tragic that they made only one Highlander movie. No sequels at all.

Terminator one and two were great, and 2 certainly didn't ignore 1. After that they got increasingly dodgy, and retconning/ignoring previous films generally was not a point in their favor.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Tyndmyr View Post
    It's tragic that they made only one Highlander movie. No sequels at all.
    I mean "There can be only one." Kudos to them for staying with that theme all the way through.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    I mean "There can be only one." Kudos to them for staying with that theme all the way through.
    What about the cartoon. I quite liked the cartoon.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Banned

Kobold

Let me see if I got all the squad

Rick Flag - non criminal, soldier, team leader. Shoots people with guns.
    Harley Quinn - crazy psychiatrist, joker hechgirl, super acrobat, hits people with bat
    Bloodsport - Deadshot replacement. Super tech suit and guns
    Peacemaker - Former diplomat. Shoots people with guns
    Captain Boomerang - aussie. Throws boomerangs at people. Sometimes they explode.
    The Thinker - Flash villain. Telepathy and Telekinesis. super genius.
    Sol Soria - assuming this is genderswapped version of a low rent guy who could unlock any lock with nanites.
    Blackguard - forcefield suit
    Polka Dot Man - high tech suit covered with polka dots that can transform into things
    Savant - genius, martial artist
    Mongal - sister of Mongul. Powerful alien, superman level strength
    TDK - the detachable kid. Probably has the power to detach his arms.
    Ratcatcher - mentally control rats
    King Shark - superhuman shark man. strength. breath water. bite people.
    Weasel - human weasel. weasel powers.
    Javelin - throws javelins at people

Wow. First of all. that is a LOT of characters. Of course I expect most of them to die in the first couple acts and only a handful to make it through the movie. I think this squad will be a LOT bloodier than the last one with team deaths.

Who do I expect to come out at the end?

Flagg (obviously)
    Quinn (obviously)
    Peacemaker (already has spin off)
    Boomerang (obviously)
    King Shark (too cool to die)

Not sure on

Bloodsport (probably survive, but might die heroicly)
    Weasel (played by Sean Gunn so might make it)
    Ratcatcher (feat. predominately in the trailer, romance arc, so might make it)

Who I expect to die?

TDK
    The Thinker
    Sol Soria
    Blackguard
    Savant
    Mongal
    Javelin
    Polka dot man

11. - Top - End - #41
    Spamalot in the Playground

I'm actually looking forward to this one. Schlocky dumb fun with goofy golden- and silver-age villains sounds a lot better than the endless procession of grimdark happening in (almost) the rest of the DCEU.

And for the love of god, I hope Gunn ditched that awful "what if Superman flew off with the president blah blah" pitch. That's never what the Squad was for. They're a wetwork squad under Waller's thumb whose actions she can credibly deny because they're criminals. In fact, make the entire first movie a vivid hallucination cooked up by Harley Quinn's nutty brain or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

12. - Top - End - #42
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    What about the cartoon. I quite liked the cartoon.
    I enjoyed the tv series myself.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Traab View Post
    I enjoyed the tv series myself.
    True, but last season where they introduced a girl just to make a spin off was tacky. But till then it was great.
    Like the guy turning into a priest so no one can murder him on the job and gain his powers (can't do it in a church); total rules lawyer but smart.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    True, but last season where they introduced a girl just to make a spin off was tacky. But till then it was great.
    Like the guy turning into a priest so no one can murder him on the job and gain his powers (can't do it in a church); total rules lawyer but smart.
    The little kid immortal who kept suckering in immortals with a helpless act then stabbing them in the back was cool too. And yeah as the seasons went on it started to lose ground with me as they had to keep escalating the stakes and creating crazier adventures to try and keep things interesting. Didnt they introduce the four horsemen as being immortals? I think i remember duncans buddy being one of them but its been so freaking long I cant remember clearly.
    "Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum Europae vincendarum"
    Translation: "Sometimes I get this urge to conquer large parts of Europe."

Quote Originally Posted by Nerd-o-rama View Post
    Traab is yelling everything that I'm thinking already.
    "If you don't get those cameras out of my face, I'm gonna go 8.6 on the Richter scale with gastric emissions that'll clear this room."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Starbuck_II
    That would be Darius, who gave Richie some dating advice that was about fifteen hundred years out of date.

(“First you compliment her on her father’s horses….”)

Originally Posted by Traab
    Didnt they introduce the four horsemen as being immortals? I think i remember duncans buddy being one of them but its been so freaking long I cant remember clearly.
    Yes, they did. Duncan’s friend was Methos, once a Horseman and more recently a Watcher.

16. - Top - End - #46
    Ogre in the Playground

That was quick. Second trailer is out.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

My Sweet-Baby-Boy is reading "The Varieties of Religious Experience" by William James, 👏🏻 Up 👏🏻 Side 👏🏻 Down 👏🏻
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Second trailer makes it seem almost palatable, but I feel like the first trailer is closer to the true spirit of the film.

Almost feels like they were presented in the wrong order.

19. - Top - End - #49

GnomePirate

Just watched the second trailer.

"If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Trafalgar
    If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.
    Agreed, but it's a Harley line, and they want to maximize Harley time.

21. - Top - End - #51

EvilClericGuy

"If we find out you have personalized license plates, you die" is not that funny a joke. I am surprised they used it in both trailers.
    Honestly, the line about coughing without covering your mouth was better. I think they just thought the scene was funny in general but didn’t want to show the entire thing again.
    Spoiler: Total War
    Show

As
    The Celestial Empire of Longshan

Spoiler: Domination Victory
    Show

Equinox League

Red Aurora College - Fae of the Four Courts - Khalos Guild - Celestial Empire

(Pretend there’s more spoilers here because I haven’t found the will to digitize my campaign setting yet)
    寧教我負天下人,休教天下人負我。

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

Eh, they used a lot of the same footage in both trailers. Honestly I half wonder if the fact that the trailer released on April 1st, and so soon after the first one, means that the whole idea for it was to make the film taking itself seriously an April Fool's joke in and of itself.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

23. - Top - End - #53
    Ettin in the Playground

I am surprised they used it in both trailers.
    Trailer 1 was a Red Band Trailer
    Trailer 2 was a Green Band Trailer.

In early 2000s they *gestures* (collapsing history) made new rules with movie trailers where if the trailer is showing rated R like content such as obsessive violence, profanity, etc (other rules I am forgetting without looking it up) ... that you should not show this rated R like content as a movie trailer before a G, PG, or PG-13 movie.

Thus "red band trailers" were created and were only supposed to appear before other rated R movies. Now you can still show green band trailers of rated R movies at a PG-13 movie and so on but the trailer will not give you an accurate representation of the final product.

-----

Fast Forward 8 or so years (not going to look up the precise dates) we see Red Band trailers being part of viral marketing with the rise of video websites such as YouTube. Now each of these Red Band trailers are supposed to ask you are you 17 as a dialog window, or have asked you in the past such as you being signed into YouTube and so on.

-----

Since Trailer 1 and Trailer 2 are released so close together that means the marketing people are seeing this as parallel marketing. Knowing Trailer 2 will not be available in some places or merely having two trailers will help with marketing buzz. Yet they will have lots of overlap since the marketing people are not sure you saw the Red Band trailer.
    Stupendous Man drawn by Linklele

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

SS is actually my second favorite in the DC universe. Having said that, I've only seen the extended edition, which I've heard is better than the theatrical release. Speaking of...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I find that this is usually not a good sign.

Spoiler: Suicide Squad 1
    Show
    She beat the system and escaped. So... maybe not someone you want back on the team?

Edit: They kept Joel Kinnamon, Viola Davis and Jai Courtney, who were among the best performers in the previous film. So we'll see.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Not sure if this is different from the theatrical version, but in the extended she didn't beat the system but was busted out by Joker.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Did you know this is out this week?

26. - Top - End - #56
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

I did know that. I shall go and see it on Friday.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Did you know this is out this week?
    Only in the UK, for some reason (is that normal with movies?). The US release isn't until next week.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

28. - Top - End - #58
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

The Mod on the Silver Mountain: Necromancy Squad was better.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2