New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Prophecies, Twists, and Predictions

Whelp, if seems like it's almost time for Belkar to meet his fate. Something has bothered me about it for a long time, though, and I think us speculating about it isn't a big deal as The Giant won't change what's going to happen. Back when Draketooth's major illusion caught Roy and the others in its spell, Roy was utterly dismissive at Belkar's funeral. That's clearly a setup for Roy to feel terrible about it if or when Belkar does die.

So how's it going to happen? Is Belkar going to get killed by Team Evil, Serini, or the Snarl? Or is there another party that's going to get involved? Of the Linear Guild, Sabine, Pompey, Leeky Windstaff, and perhaps Thog are sit on the table. Zz'dtri's body could be recovered and him raised. We also have an unfired Chekhov's gun in Redcloak's family. Right-eye smuggled his daughter away from Team Evil in the prequel books so Redcloak's niece can pop up.

As for Belkar, he could be mind wiped and take on a new name, could turn undead, could be killed and raised, or polymorphed into a fish to live on the planet within the planet (technically fish don't breath like land animals and its hard to claim insurance on a disappearance). See I don't see Roy just being cool with Belkar being dead now and Belkar's illusionary dream in Draketooth's Dungeon was getting to go to the Chaotic Good afterlife and chilling with Lord Shojo and he's not there yet. Not good enough yet. It could just be his tragic, impossible dream, and him being killed the Snarl would an already impossible task firmly in the "not happening" category.

Hell, only Elan's prediction from the Oracle was that "happy ending, at least for you anyways". That could mean that everyone but Elan and, probably, Haley could all be doomed to die to let Elan live happily ever after. However, him being the sole survivor doesn't seem very happy to me. To me anyways, I don't think the Giant would back himself into corner with Belkar's prophecy. He had the Oracle give the prophecy twice. Whatever the Giant has planned, it's been in the works for a long, long time so either the Twist was always going to go about the same way or played straight really hard like unambiguous, Belkar's dead, there's nothing anyone could ever do about it hard. As in "not even True Resurrection can save him" hard.

So what do you guys think. Is Redcloak's niece about to pop out? Is Belmar going to be straight up murdered? What about all the sides that the Demon roaches predicted? How many of them are still in play and which on the one is going to do the deed to Belkar? I think the roaches said there were at least 9 sides, but there could be more. We have Team Evil, IFCC, Serini, Order of the Stick, the Linear Guild (if they aren't counted as part of IFCC), Hel, Thor and Loki (if the Order of the Stick is counted as being part of their side), the Snarl, the Dark One and Redcloak (if they aren't counted as Team Evil), and probably a few others.

As for Serini's ambush, I got V is called down for his 4ish minute period, Elan and Minrah is knocked out , Belkar gets a hit in and is knocked out, which leaves Haley, Roy, and Durkon to fight Serini back. Roy isn't going to back down like Lien and Haley will call the bluff as long as Durkon can neutralize poison. They will be left too weak to defeat Xykon, though and will probably be forced to flee into the Dungeon of Serini doesn't get them all. Thoughts?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Prophecies, Twists, and Predictions

Belkar is going to straight up die, and that's it. There will be no "clever" twist of subversion of "oh, he took a new name", or "he became undead", or "dead and brought back". I still don't get why people keep trying to argue differently.

The Giant has clarified that Elan's prophecy was specifically to reassure readers that will things will get dark, this is still a light-hearted story at heart. Therefore, it's incredibly unlikely that a happy ending for Elan "at least" actually allows for the death's of most of the Order. But I feel like that's the kind of thing he really shouldn't have had to say because it's obvious from the general tone of the story, even with all of the seriousness.
    Last edited by Rrmcklin; 2021-03-26 at 11:22 PM.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rrmcklin View Post
    Belkar is going to straight up die, and that's it. There will be no "clever" twist of subversion of "oh, he took a new name", or "he became undead", or "dead and brought back". I still don't get why people keep trying to argue differently.

The Giant has clarified that Elan's prophecy was specifically to reassure readers that will things will get dark, this is still a light-hearted story at heart. Therefore, it's incredibly unlikely that a happy ending for Elan "at least" actually allows for the death's of most of the Order. But I feel like that's the kind of thing he really shouldn't have had to say because it's obvious from the general tone of the story, even with all of the seriousness.
    I agree Belkar is going to straight up die, but is it regular die or "obliterated from existence" die. "Last breath - ever" clearly implies no res. But I'm still trying to figure out how it's going to go down.

Plus, that's not the only prediction I care about. Not every gun has to be fired, but there's plenty still out there.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2021-03-26 at 11:39 PM.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

Maybe the revealed MITD will eat Belkar - two mysteries with one shot.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Probably because Durkon's prophecy of only returning home posthumously was subverted in that way. Also perhaps because Belkar is probably the most popular member of the Order, and people don't want to see him have a bad ending.

I think the most popular theory about Belkar's ending is that he will die sacrificing himself for someone, perhaps the whole world. This will complete his arc, and move him out of evil into some other alignment. This theory seems as likely to me as any, and if so I'd expect it to happen in the final battle because it's fitting that a protagonist character remains part of the story to the end.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Halfling in the Playground

I have a hunch that Elan, not Belkar, is going to die very soon. I don't know if he will be resurrected or not; in any case we know this story is going to have a happy ending for him so it is possible that his adventures in the afterlife, possibly mentored by the gods, will play an important role in saving the world.

I love these prediction threads. If I'm wrong this will all be soon forgotten but if I got it right I'll be able to show this thread in a few weeks and say "Hey, look at me. I'm really smart."
    Last edited by Ginasius; 2021-03-27 at 06:37 AM.
    Life is like a ladder in a henhouse; it is short, but full of guano.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Liquor Box View Post
    Probably because Durkon's prophecy of only returning home posthumously was subverted in that way. Also perhaps because Belkar is probably the most popular member of the Order, and people don't want to see him have a bad ending.

I think the most popular theory about Belkar's ending is that he will die sacrificing himself for someone, perhaps the whole world. This will complete his arc, and move him out of evil into some other alignment. This theory seems as likely to me as any, and if so I'd expect it to happen in the final battle because it's fitting that a protagonist character remains part of the story to the end.
    My theory is he's going to die jumping in front of V. He is attracted to hir and he was unusually protective when Durkula and Co. mindcontrolled him. Him and V have this weird "we hate each other but have the same sense of humor" thing going on. Well, mostly the same. Anything perverted or exaggerated Belkar says is rejected outright, but using Yukyuk as a little box was just... yuck. (Hey, I just got the joke of his name). Then there may be some dying declaration of love or at least lust and an apology for abandoning them to be surrounded by goblins in the very first Dungeon.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2021-03-27 at 06:40 AM.
    Profile picture made by my good friend Judas.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thecommander236 View Post
    What about all the sides that the Demon roaches predicted? How many of them are still in play and which on the one is going to do the deed to Belkar? I think the roaches said there were at least 9 sides, but there could be more. We have Team Evil, IFCC, Serini, Order of the Stick, the Linear Guild (if they aren't counted as part of IFCC), Hel, Thor and Loki (if the Order of the Stick is counted as being part of their side), the Snarl, the Dark One and Redcloak (if they aren't counted as Team Evil), and probably a few others.
    The nine sides isn't a list of groups that are involved in the plot at some point; it's a list of groups that were involved in the conflict over the gates at the time of #548. Of the groups/people you list, the IFCC, Serini, the Linear Guild, Hel, Loki, and the Snarl are either not involved in the conflict at all, or only get involved later.
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    The nine sides isn't a list of groups that are involved in the plot at some point; it's a list of groups that were involved in the conflict over the gates at the time of #548. Of the groups/people you list, the IFCC, Serini, the Linear Guild, Hel, Loki, and the Snarl are either not involved in the conflict at all, or only get involved later.
    The commentary in Don't Split the Party says at least one of the sides is introduced in Blood Runs in the Family. I think that side is Hel but I'm not sure. What I am sure about is that not all of them have to be involved in the conflict over the gates at the time of #548.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

We also have an unfired Chekhov's gun in Redcloak's family. Right-eye smuggled his daughter away from Team Evil in the prequel books so Redcloak's niece can pop up.
    From Rich's Patreon, we were basically told she's never showing up again (unless she is).

11. - Top - End - #11
    Bugbear in the Playground

Durkon's prophecy wasn't subverted though; it said he would return home posthumously and he did, there was no mention of him not being returned. Ever single mention of Belkar's inevitable death has indicated it would be permanent. The two situation's aren't comparable.

For that matter, none of the prophecies were actually subverted, it's just that what they were referring to weren't immediately obvious until they actually happened. People keep conflating those things, when they don't actually mean the same thing.
    I'd just like to point out that saying that something unsupported is the case unless someone else can prove that it is not is an utter failure of logic. - Kish

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Durkon's prophecy wasn't subverted though; it said he would return home posthumously and he did, there was no mention of him not being returned. Ever single mention of Belkar's inevitable death has indicated it would be permanent. The two situation's aren't comparable.

For that matter, none of the prophecies were actually subverted, it's just that what they were referring to weren't immediately obvious until they actually happened. People keep conflating those things, when they don't actually mean the same thing.
    Which would be the same thing as would happen if Belkar died (fulfilling the prophecy), but was then brought back to live he would go on. This is no more or less a subversion than what happened to Durkon

13. - Top - End - #13

EvilClericGuy

The prophecy isn't just that Belkar will die. The exact wording is that he will "draw his last breath - ever".

Being turned into a golem or an undead or whatever wouldn't necessarily contradict it, but any conventional return to life most definitely would.
    Last edited by Gurgeh; 2021-03-28 at 07:14 AM.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ettin in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gurgeh View Post
    The prophecy isn't just that Belkar will die. The exact wording is that he will "draw his last breath - ever".

Being turned into a golem or an undead or whatever wouldn't necessarily contradict it, but any conventional return to life most definitely would.
    The official, on record prophecy, sure.
    But all the other little comments* about his future?
    Belkar
    - shouldn't bother funding his IRA
    - should savour his next birthday cake
    - won't be long for this world
    - will draw his last breath ever before the end of the year.

So yeah, Belkar's probably a goner.

*Which are prophecies. That's why there's a memory charm in the first place
    Last edited by Kantaki; 2021-03-28 at 08:06 AM.
    "If it lives it can be killed.
    If it is dead it can be eaten."

Ronkong Coma "the way of the bookhunter" III Catacombium
    (Walter Moers "Die Stadt der träumenden Bücher")

15. - Top - End - #15

EvilClericGuy

I'm not arguing that Belkar isn't going to die - for the record, I believe that it will play out exactly as presented. I was posting to point out that even if the central thrust of the prediction turns out to be a trick, it definitely will not involve Belkar simply getting rezzed the way Liquor Box is saying.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

I'm not arguing that Belkar isn't going to die - for the record, I believe that it will play out exactly as presented. I was posting to point out that even if the central thrust of the prediction turns out to be a trick, it definitely will not involve Belkar simply getting rezzed the way Liquor Box is saying.
    Sure, maybe. Perhaps he will ascend to godhood.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Sure, maybe. Perhaps he will ascend to godhood.
    Ascending to godhood appears to require that you are worshiped. Who's going to worship Belkar?
    I made a webcomic, featuring absurdity, terrible art, and alleged morals.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowknight12 View Post
    From Rich's Patreon, we were basically told she's never showing up again (unless she is).
    *shrug* Doesn't have to be her. Could be her husband or something. The point was, though, that a lot of unfinished plot lines could pop up at the 11th hour.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    Ascending to godhood appears to require that you are worshiped. Who's going to worship Belkar?
    Plenty of fans I think, from the result of the forum's character popularity poll. But point taken that he probably doesn;t meet the prerequisites for godhood. I suppose my point was there are lots of ways in this weird and magical world that Belkar could go on without breathing, which are not much more or less of a subversion than Durkon returning home posthumously but coming back to life.

Not that I actually think that's what's going to happen.
    Last edited by Liquor Box; 2021-03-29 at 02:01 AM.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Plenty of fans I think, from the result of the forum's character popularity poll. But point taken that he probably doesn;t meet the prerequisites for godhood. I suppose my point was there are lots of ways in this weird and magical world that Belkar could go on without breathing, which are not much more or less of a subversion than Durkon returning home posthumously but coming back to life.

Not that I actually think that's what's going to happen.
    Given that Odin was willing to make Banjo a god when he had one worshipper probably means that the endorsement is more important than the worship. If a top-god like Marduk or Dragon or Odin said "Belkar is now the sexy shoeless god of war", then he can just get worshippers later. He's a god, baby.

No chance in hell that's happening though. I'm pretty sure Tiger is the god of war for the southern pantheon as he stood up Thor when he tried to interfere on Durkon's behalf when he was in Southern lands and the gods of the west would have little reason to endorse Belkar since he has mostly stuck around in Northern lands. And I sure as hell don't see Lawful Good Odin, who doesn't want his sand castles kicked, endorsing a Chaotic Evil Halfing. Besides the Northern gods already have a god of war.
    Last edited by Thecommander236; 2021-03-29 at 02:44 AM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

DrowGirl

Given that Odin was willing to make Banjo a god when he had one worshipper probably means that the endorsement is more important than the worship. If a top-god like Marduk or Dragon or Odin said "Belkar is now the sexy shoeless god of war", then he can just get worshippers later. He's a god, baby.

No chance in hell that's happening though. I'm pretty sure Tiger is the god of war for the southern pantheon as he stood up Thor when he tried to interfere on Durkon's behalf when he was in Southern lands and the gods of the west would have little reason to endorse Belkar since he has mostly stuck around in Northern lands. And I sure as hell don't see Lawful Good Odin, who doesn't want his sand castles kicked, endorsing a Chaotic Evil Halfing. Besides the Northern gods already have a god of war.
    You mentioning that Tiger is the god of war reminded me of Belkar's moniker - sexy shoeless god of war could have been foreshadowing,

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm surprised everyone still keeps getting stuck on finding a loophole to bring Belkar back to the material plane to keep being relevant, or that he needs to finish his character development before he dies. I mean, Roy did half his character development in the afterlife, and also chopped up an evil adventurer while he was there. I don't know what's stopping Belkar from sinking a ghostly dagger into a fiend or two.

So I predict that Belkar will die before the climax. He will be judged like the opposite of Roy, get his final character development while he's dead (probably by being a badass who can handle intense hardcore introspection in front of whatever's judging him), and then personally fight the IFCC to release Vaarsuvius from hell during the climax. Because I dunno how else we're gonna get Vaarsuvius back from hell early, but Belkar would be in the planar vicinity.

All while dead.

And he won't return to life because he's too busy enjoying his Chaotic Neutral afterlife. Or iunno, demons ate his soul after he finally succumbs to the legions of hell in a final post-mortem blaze of glory.

Extra: I predict he'll be anywhere near the IFCC in the first place because they're looking for go-getters and he could probably use one last evil temptation to throw a cat at to really sell that he's a different Belkar who puts the team first.
    Last edited by Roc Ness; 2021-03-29 at 06:58 AM.

Pokedex #999: Roc Ness
    Avvie by Serpentine.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

You mentioning that Tiger is the god of war reminded me of Belkar's moniker - sexy shoeless god of war could have been foreshadowing,
    The Dark One doesn't have a god of war working for him yet. XD

24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground

Imp

957 Panel 7

Belkar: I was there when Durkon died, and no way does he flip from forgiving me for not saving him to slurping my blood in 90 seconds.
    Belkar: People don’t just change who they are in an instant. It doesn’t work like that. It takes time, so you don’t even know you’re changing.
    Belkar: Until one day, you’re just a bit different than you used to be and you can’t even tell what the hell happened.
    https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0957.html

I think we've been seeing Belkar slowly turning into someone else ever since meeting Shojo. I think he's going to impulsively have a hero's death and find himself very confused in the chaotic good afterlife.

I think by this point he's already edging toward chaotic neutral.
    Last edited by Scottzg; 2021-03-29 at 09:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Troll in the Playground

HalflingPirate

Based on what I've read by The Giant, we have about two books worth of content in this last book, so we still have a long way to go before we have to worry about the prophecies.

My quatloos are already on 'Belkar gets disintegrated by The Snarl while saving someone else,' with a sidebet that the someone else is Durkon.

But that will likely be many many strips from now.

26. - Top - End - #26
    Titan in the Playground

Given that Odin was willing to make Banjo a god when he had one worshipper probably means that the endorsement is more important than the worship.
    I am not confident the senile god thought thingd through.

Lawful Good Odin
    Funniest **** I've read this morning.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

27. - Top - End - #27

EvilClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    I am not confident the senile god thought thingd through.
    This. I am also not confident the throwaway gag was meant to be taken seriously.

Funniest **** I've read this morning.
    OOTS deity alignment (and characterisation more broadly) doesn't really line up with past D&D takes on said deities. Deities and Demigods stats Thor up as Chaotic Good, which we know he can't be in OOTS, since Durkon is LG and a cleric can't be more than one step away from their deity's alignment. Honestly, we've seen so little of Odin in the comic that it's hard to make any alignment judgement on him more specific than "probably not evil".

(The forum rules on real-world religion apparently extend to norse mythology, so I won't bother with any comparisons outside printed D&D rules).

28. - Top - End - #28

PaladinGuy

I reckon Belkar is going to be 'alive' in some form at the end of the final fight if not the story. There are many ways for Belkar to be present without breathing. He's very likely to become a Revenant IMO. Another way would be for him to become a golem a la Crystal.
    Belkar could also be turned into a woman or reincarnated as something that doesn't breathe - a giant ant, perhaps?

But I'm sure the Giant has something up his sleeve that will delight us.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

Deities and Demigods stats Thor up as Chaotic Good, which we know he can't be in OOTS, since Durkon is LG and a cleric can't be more than one step away from their deity's alignment.
    Doesn't that rule state that some gods may have exceptions to that rule (with a Cuthbert guy or something?). If so, considering Thor's and the dawrves' history regarding the Bet, I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Thor is both Chaotic Good and allowed to have dwarvish clerics of any non-Evil alignment.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #30

EvilClericGuy

If such a rule exists, it's not in the SRD. Given your example mentions a Greyhawk deity, it's obviously not something that would have made it into the OGL content word-for-word. That said, the SRD description of the Cleric's alignment restrictions is pretty straightforward:

A cleric’s alignment must be within one step of his deity’s (that is, it may be one step away on either the lawful-chaotic axis or the good-evil axis, but not both). A cleric may not be neutral unless his deity’s alignment is also neutral.
    No exceptions are stated.