A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 36 of 36 FirstFirst ... 112627282930313233343536
Results 1,051 to 1,074 of 1074
  1. - Top - End - #1051
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I suspect the actual answer is a more simple ‘they aim for one 40k article a day, and these two codexes released the same week, so each got half as many articles as normal.’ Having the two codexes release simultaneously meant their individual hype was lessened.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  2. - Top - End - #1052
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I like the Castellan based on Blanche art:

    https://www.warhammer-community.com/...us-new-models/

    Very like Canoness Veridyan in that respect.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  3. - Top - End - #1053
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    The new Sword Brethren look amazing. I foresee a lot of conversions of them to other chapters once they release!
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  4. - Top - End - #1054
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I decided not to get the Army Set and I stand by that but oof, maybe my next project will be another kind of space marine.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  5. - Top - End - #1055
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    That is a chonky Terminator. As it should be.

    ALso there is a head with a Beard, huzzah!
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  6. - Top - End - #1056
    Ogre in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    That is a chonky Terminator. As it should be.

    ALso there is a head with a Beard, huzzah!
    Do you mean the Castellan? It isn't a terminator, it's just a firstborn* in power armour. Very thicc power armour, but still power armour.

    *I think it's firstborn anyway, the proportions don't look like a primaris to me, and the armour doesn't have any primaris touches.
    Last edited by Grim Portent; 2021-10-04 at 04:44 PM.
    Sanity is nice to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there.

  7. - Top - End - #1057
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I don't even think it's a firstborn, I think it's another primaris. I'm not a fan of that one personally - broad in a way that reads as almost death-guard like rotundness. I love the Sword Brothers and artefacts though.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  8. - Top - End - #1058
    Ettin in the Playground
     
    Kobold

    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I don't even think it's a firstborn, I think it's another primaris. I'm not a fan of that one personally - broad in a way that reads as almost death-guard like rotundness. I love the Sword Brothers and artefacts though.
    That Castellan appears to be firstborn, as the trailer calls him a Castellan with Master-Crafted Power Axe and Combi-Flamer, while another Castellan is described as a Primaris Castellan with Master-Crafted Power Sword and Auto-plasma. It's also worth pointing out that the Chonky Castellan has a classic Combi-flamer instead of a combi-weapon with a bolt rifle variant.
    Last edited by Squark; 2021-10-04 at 05:25 PM.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

    Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

  9. - Top - End - #1059
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Blackhawk748's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Tharggy, on Tellene
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Grim Portent View Post
    Do you mean the Castellan? It isn't a terminator, it's just a firstborn* in power armour. Very thicc power armour, but still power armour.

    *I think it's firstborn anyway, the proportions don't look like a primaris to me, and the armour doesn't have any primaris touches.
    Really? I thought he just had a heavily modified helmet considering how massive his armor is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

    My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland


    My Historical Stuff channel

  10. - Top - End - #1060
    Colossus in the Playground
     
    hamishspence's Avatar

    Join Date
    Feb 2007

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I've seen some comparisons (using the base thickness as a starting point) that show that he's very slightly taller and wider than most Primaris marines. Even the backpack is as wide as a Primaris Marine's backpack, though it doesn't have the circle.


    I think it's simply a case of him wearing the very oldest iteration of Mark X armour, devised by Cawl for the first iteration of Primaris in the aftermath of the Heresy (the people who went into stasis for over 8,000 years) , and the rest of the Primaris wear more modern variants of Mark X.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

  11. - Top - End - #1061
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Griffon

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    England
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    My favourite so far is all these beautiful Sword Brethren with their unique iconography, unique helmets, and art-work inspired poses, and yet one of them is just "the guy with lightning claws" from 2005 but a little bit bigger. Same pose, same helmet, same embossed pauldrons; he's just been scaled up and had some junk CAD'd to his belt.

    This isn't a complaint, by the way. He was always the best of the SB models, and I'm glad he lives on.
    Last edited by Wraith; 2021-10-05 at 08:43 AM.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

  12. - Top - End - #1062
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Turns out the trailer lied, WarCom confirms in multiple places that he's Primaris. Pity.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  13. - Top - End - #1063
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Avaris View Post
    The new Sword Brethren look amazing. I foresee a lot of conversions of them to other chapters once they release!
    I don't.
    Unless GW releases a document that post-hocs Melee upgrades into the Space Marine Codex, Sword Bros. are Black Templar exclusive. The thing about Primaris Marines, and which has been going since mid-8th Ed., your ability to customise your models is going away. Sternguard and Vanguard, and even HQs' ability to have any weapon, is going away, if not already gone. Moreover, GW rarely - if ever - goes backwards, which likely means that if you want to play with the Sword Bros., you're going to have to play Black Templars, because that way you spend more money.

    GW doesn't benefit by letting you add Sword Bros. into your existing army. They want you to start a new army, with Sword Bros. in it.

    That being said, if GW does want to make more money off a Black Templar release, writing the aforementioned post-hoc'd Melee Marines into every single Space Marine Chapter is certainly one way to do it. But of course they need to be better than Bladeguard - and Bladeguard have Storm Shields.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  14. - Top - End - #1064
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I don't.
    Unless GW releases a document that post-hocs Melee upgrades into the Space Marine Codex, Sword Bros. are Black Templar exclusive. The thing about Primaris Marines, and which has been going since mid-8th Ed., your ability to customise your models is going away. Sternguard and Vanguard, and even HQs' ability to have any weapon, is going away, if not already gone. Moreover, GW rarely - if ever - goes backwards, which likely means that if you want to play with the Sword Bros., you're going to have to play Black Templars, because that way you spend more money.

    GW doesn't benefit by letting you add Sword Bros. into your existing army. They want you to start a new army, with Sword Bros. in it.

    That being said, if GW does want to make more money off a Black Templar release, writing the aforementioned post-hoc'd Melee Marines into every single Space Marine Chapter is certainly one way to do it. But of course they need to be better than Bladeguard - and Bladeguard have Storm Shields.
    To clarify, I foresee a lot of conversions using the Sword Brethren as base models for units in other chapters. Bladeguard particularly, but also Captains etc. The gothic aesthetic they have is very appealing, especially with the cloaks, so a lot of people will get them for other projects.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  15. - Top - End - #1065
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Turns out the trailer lied, WarCom confirms in multiple places that he's Primaris. Pity.
    I think people read more than was intended into the lack of the word "primaris" when I suspect it was removed just to make the text fit in the box without becoming too small.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  16. - Top - End - #1066
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I think people read more than was intended into the lack of the word "primaris" when I suspect it was removed just to make the text fit in the box without becoming too small.
    The word count on the Primaris Castellan with Master-Crafted Power Sword and Auto-Plasma isn't smaller.
    Last edited by Renegade Paladin; 2021-10-06 at 10:40 AM.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  17. - Top - End - #1067
    Titan in the Playground
     
    LeSwordfish's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Oxford, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    I cancelled my Warhammer+ Subscription - ultimately, it wasn't for me. The battle reports were fun but there are plenty of free ones out there, the painting guides were way above my level, and I'm not interested in the archives while they're lore-only.
    - Avatar by LCP -

  18. - Top - End - #1068
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Renegade Paladin's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Indiana
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Today's WarCom post:

    "For each Black Templars Infantry or Black Templars Biker unit (excluding Character units) from your army, you can select one upgrade from the list below to give that unit."

    "On the tabletop, it reduces incoming Armour Penetration, allowing Characters to shrug off rending blows."

    Do they even read what they write?
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein


  19. - Top - End - #1069
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    9mm's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2009

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    Do they even read what they write?
    of course not.
    Rule of Cool former designer

    Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

  20. - Top - End - #1070
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Question for those who play Crusade here: Say, hypothetically, a player wanted to run a pure Deathwing (or successor Chapter Deathwing) army for their crusade force. If you were the GM of the campaign, would you allow the player to run lists in a Vanguard Detachment (which gets CP and OBsec bonuses if comprised of only terminators) rather than a Patrol detachment as the book rules require?

  21. - Top - End - #1071
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Lizardfolk

    Join Date
    Jan 2008

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Quote Originally Posted by Meatgrinder View Post
    Say, hypothetically, a player wanted to run a pure Deathwing (or successor Chapter Deathwing) army for their crusade force.
    That hypothetical person would likely break the early-game balance of the entire campaign. Breaking the early game, leads to a break in the late game.

    If you were the GM of the campaign, would you allow the player to run lists in a Vanguard Detachment (which gets CP and OBsec bonuses if comprised of only terminators) rather than a Patrol detachment as the book rules require?
    No. There's a reason the game wants you to run Patrols in low points games. It's so everyone more or less starts in the same place. For the vast majority of players and Factions, that's what's going to work. Because of course there's the slippery slope; Why are Deathwing allowed to run a Vanguard, but my [Faction] isn't allowed to be a [Detachment]? That feels biased towards a Faction that's already pretty good. This GM is obviously playing favourites.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

  22. - Top - End - #1072
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    NecromancerGuy

    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Durham, UK
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Yeah, I’m with Cheesegear there, with a slight element of trying to find a way to let them run an all Deathwing force if they really want, just without the CP/obsec bonuses. An all Deathwing force is cool, but that much durability is going to be difficult in small games, especially if they then get Obsec.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

  23. - Top - End - #1073
    Ogre in the Playground
     
    OldWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Australia

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All



    Hearty chuckle.

  24. - Top - End - #1074
    Halfling in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2018

    Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

    Given that the hypothetical player was me, I'm going to say: Fair enough, and thanks for the advice. Hopefully now I don't lose friends trying to pull off broken tricks in Crusade.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •