New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 50 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232439 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Banned

Default Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

Who wants to bet on AdMech/9 just happening to be tailor-made to bring Drukhari/9 down a peg? Its either that or Sisters/9.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

Quote Originally Posted by LansXero View Post
    Who wants to bet on AdMech/9 just happening to be tailor-made to bring Drukhari/9 down a peg? Its either that or Sisters/9.
    Ad Mech seems like a safe bet. If there is a faction built to have really good/efficient tanks, while also having lots of anti-tank options, it would be Ad Mech. Though I imagine it would be a coincidence.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Ad Mech seems like a safe bet. If there is a faction built to have really good/efficient tanks, while also having lots of anti-tank options, it would be Ad Mech. Though I imagine it would be a coincidence.
    You'd think but we have literally one tank. (No, I don't count the Onager as a tank despite how much I love it) We do Stompy Robots and Chicken Walkers more than we do tanks.

Pretty good anti tank though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

4. - Top - End - #394
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    You'd think but we have literally one tank. (No, I don't count the Onager as a tank despite how much I love it) We do Stompy Robots and Chicken Walkers more than we do tanks.

Vehicles then. Those are better than tanks anyways. (Also why not count the Onager?)
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Pixie in the Playground

Admech: where the infantry have trade and the armor have feet

6. - Top - End - #396
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

(Also why not count the Onager?)
    Spoiler
    Show

A picture is worth a thousand words.
    Steam ID: The Great Squark
    3ds Friend Code: 4571-1588-1000

Currently Playing: Warhammer 40000, Hades, Stellaris, Warframe

7. - Top - End - #397
    Ogre in the Playground

*squints at the Dallas Open results*

no bet, "better autocannon the faction" will do just fine.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

8. - Top - End - #398
    Titan in the Playground

Vehicles then. Those are better than tanks anyways. (Also why not count the Onager?)
    Because I'd have to count Ironclad Dreds as Tanks then and I'm not prepared to do that.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #399
    Troll in the Playground

I'm looking at the new cyber-squig riding boyz and I'm having a flashback to an 80's cartoon where the protagonists were some kind of cyberanimals that road around on robot bulls, can't remember the name of it though.....
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

10. - Top - End - #400
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    I'm looking at the new cyber-squig riding boyz and I'm having a flashback to an 80's cartoon where the protagonists were some kind of cyberanimals that road around on robot bulls, can't remember the name of it though.....
    I like the Not!Feral Ork model all right. Not sure about the Squig Riders though.

If I care enough I'll just stick with my Ork Boys on Chaos Warhounds I did years back.
    Show

11. - Top - End - #401
    Firbolg in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Brookshw View Post
    It's mildly disturbing that I can think of more than two series which this might have been: C.O.W-boys of Moo Mesa, Bravestarr and Thundarr the Barbarian to name a few...

A new Psychic Awakening book announced too - Grey Knights vs. Thousand Sons. Specifically includes a picture of a Dreadknight pilot, so I may yet get my wish for a new GK Lord of War baby-carrier.
    ~ CAUTION: May Contain Weasels ~
    RPG Characters What I Done Played As (Explained Badly)
    17 Things I Learned About 40k By Playing Dark Heresy
    Tales of a Role-Play Gamer - Horrible Optimisation

12. - Top - End - #402
    Ettin in the Playground

I don't know if this has been brought up, but...

This has got to be the single most awesome thing to come out of 40k. And considering all the awessomness the dark future has given us, that's saying something

We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.
    Adrie, half elven bard. Drawing by Vulion, avatar by CheesePirate. Colored version by Callos_DeTerran. Thanks a lot, you guys.
    This place is not a place of honor…no highly esteemed deed is commemorated here… nothing valued is here.
    "There will come a day so dark you will pray for death. On that day your prayers will be answered."
    Book of shadows, book of night, wake the beast and banish light.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mordokai View Post
    I don't know if this has been brought up, but...

This has got to be the single most awesome thing to come out of 40k. And considering all the awessomness the dark future has given us, that's saying something

We now return you to your regularly scheduled debate.
    My singular complaint is that it isn't a Noise Marine.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #404
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Wraith View Post
    It's mildly disturbing that I can think of more than two series which this might have been: C.O.W-boys of Moo Mesa, Bravestarr and Thundarr the Barbarian to name a few...

A new Psychic Awakening book announced too - Grey Knights vs. Thousand Sons. Specifically includes a picture of a Dreadknight pilot, so I may yet get my wish for a new GK Lord of War baby-carrier.
    Hmmm.....possibly Bravestar but I recall more anthropomorphic cow people. Ah well, I'm sure it'll come to me after it loses its relevancy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jedipotter View Post
    Logic just does not fit in with the real world. And only the guilty throw fallacy's around.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendin, probably
    As always, the planes prove to be awesomer than I expected.

15. - Top - End - #405
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Warhammer Fest Stuff:

Day 1.
    Lots of Vampire stuff that looks cool. I probably can't make use out of any of it. We'll see. I was screwed by Cursed City's scale, and the 8-ft. tall Humans. But we'll see how it all shakes out.
    Krangos is for Destruction...Why does he look like he's for Chaos?

Day 2.
    Morveen Vahl looks very silly. Wait...She's a HIGH LORD!? WTF is she doing outside of Terra? This is about as dumb as Trajann Valoris being on the front lines. I get it. I know what you're trying to do. But it makes no sense. Then again, if the intent is to invalidate Celestine, then job's a good'un. You know what's better than a Living Saint, and a living embodiment of the Emperor's Will? ...A High Lord. Who is the embodiment of all the Imperium stands for, and so is better.

Aestred looks stupid. And the name is dumb. But you can't copyright 'Astrid', because that's a real name. So call her something stupid, give her a face like she's constipated, and let's go.
    Dogmata looks as boring as Vargard Obyron.
    Palatine is fine...Unless she's $50. Which she likely will be.

Celestian Sacresants are exactly what the meta calls for. To be more like the meta that already exists. It's not that Melee is where all the best units are. It's that if your good units can't Melee at all, then you've already lost the game (looking at you, T'au).

If Morveen Vahl is built out of the Paragon Warsuits...And then the other Paragon Warsuits become an illegal unit...Good job GW.

Castigator; It's a Predator with extra steps.

Book II of War Zone: Charadon? Did anyone even give a **** about the first one?

Day 3
    New Gaunt's Ghosts! ...About 15 years too late, and probably three times more expensive - at least. Another thing that I probably almost want, but have no reason to buy.
    ...I would've bought them 15 years ago, when they were relevant.

Day 4
    ...I want that Crab.

Day 5
    ...I suppose somebody out there likes Snakebite Orks. But mostly we're getting a look at the new 32mm scale Orks, designed to make your older Orks look dumb and bad. Who cares if you've got almost 100. They look dumb next to the newer, better, bigger ones.

New Mega Armour Warboss looks dope. Just another thing that looks cool that I can't really use.

New Cadian Troops sprue is about 15 years too late. And in canon is stupid, because Cadia blew up. You can't blow up Cadia and then pretend that you didn't.
    inb4; "But that's just to show that other Guard built their Regiment structure and uniforms like Cadia." ...Nope. It's to show that GW is going to redesign their entire Guard range. What they should've done, was entirely divorce 'Cadia' from the name of the box.

Castellan Crowe is probably getting an upgrade in a Dreadknight. Because Crowe sucks, and has always sucked. At least we're continuing the storyline of an existing character, so our investment is rewarded. Rather than "Hey, the characters you like are ****, here's a new one that makes your emotional investment redundant."

Day 6
    Yndrasta would look way better if she wasn't on a scenic base and didn't have those wings. Wings don't...Go in that direction for long. Wings are meant to look like that in the few seconds before you land to break your acceleration to avoid face-planting into the ground (however, if you're a real bird, your bones are made out of sponge, and you totally can freefall into a small mammal to kill it on impact with no damage to yourself). If you're already on the ground, your wings should relax.

You know your existing Firstborn Marines Stormcast Eternals? They're stupid. Buy new Primaris Marines Reforged Eternals. Which are basically the same, but slightly better.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-05-09 at 04:53 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

16. - Top - End - #406

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    Krangos is for Destruction...Why does he look like he's for Chaos?
    Because the difference between Chaos and Destruction is, at best, arbitrary. It's already fairly common knowledge that GW designs and sculpts a model, THEN writes rules for it, so I wouldn't be at all surprised if it was going to be a Chaos mini before someone realised they needed to balance out the release schedule.

...I want that Crab.
    Clearly the break-out star of the entire week. I follow Phil Kelly on Twitter - apparently he's the designer, and GW are baffled by just how utterly vindicated he has been for what they thought was a joke mini.

New Cadian Troops sprue is about 15 years too late. And in canon is stupid, because Cadia blew up. You can't blow up Cadia and then pretend that you didn't.
    inb4; "But that's just to show that other Guard built their Regiment structure and uniforms like Cadia." ...Nope. It's to show that GW is going to redesign their entire Guard range. What they should've done, was entirely divorce 'Cadia' from the name of the box.
    STILL no female trooper options. I'm astounded that GW are so blind as to not have introduced them, ESPECIALLY alongside such a big SoB release. They could have made a whole event about it, instead of burying it in with a week of other random stuff.

...I suppose somebody out there likes Snakebite Orks. But mostly we're getting a look at the new 32mm scale Orks, designed to make your older Orks look dumb and bad. Who cares if you've got almost 100. They look dumb next to the newer, better, bigger ones.

You know your existing Firstborn Marines Stormcast Eternals? They're stupid. Buy new Primaris Marines Reforged Eternals. Which are basically the same, but slightly better.
    Primaris Orks to go with Primaris Stormcast. Take a wild guess at what is going to happen in the next codex/Army Book that is announced in the next cycle - Primaris Aspect Warriors and Primaris Genestealers, anyone?

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

STILL no female trooper options. I'm astounded that GW are so blind as to not have introduced them, ESPECIALLY alongside such a big SoB release. They could have made a whole event about it, instead of burying it in with a week of other random stuff.
    There are female heads in the upgrade sprue, actually. They're taking the, "Everyone looks pretty much the same in combat armor" approach.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Halfling in the Playground

I'm honestly not even slightly mad at rescaled Orks, because for the first time in (hot take coming) forever, Orks actually look like decent models. My personal takes are

Day 1: Old Lady Vampire is a standout. Not a huge fan of Dire Wolves in general, though these sculpts are much better, and coming in 10 is much better too. Not a fan of the new Radukar or the Vamptaur though.

Day 2: Just a whole lot of meh. Sisters of Battle get Dreadknights, Bladeguard Veterans, a Predator, and some derpy characters. I liked their first wave much better.

Day 3: Gaunt's Ghosts look great. They won't hit the table though.

Day 4: The Idoneth Underworld Warband is amazing, great sculpts. Should be some fun gameplay with them too.
    Aeldar vs Space Marine is the first Aeronautica Imperialis box that tempts me (the first two had great Imperial factions, but were basically the only 2 Xenos factions I dislike).
    Not even a mention of Cursed City. New giant Warhammer Quest board game that just dropped? What new giant Warhammer Quest board game that just dropped? We've always been at war with Warhammer Quest.

Day 5: As someone who previously disliked Orks (see above re: why Aeronautic Imperialis didn't attract me before), these Orks look fantastic. Their faces especially are so much better. For the first time, I'm tempted by Orks. Cheese is right though, it'd have to be effectively an All-Beast-Snagga army.
    The new Cadian sprue looks great, does a great job modernizing the kit by replacing the most notably bad part. The rest of the Cadian kit is fine. HOWEVER, adding a new sprue to the box means we're likely going from 45CAD for 10 to 50-55CAD for 10. Why do that when I can get 24 Wargame Atlantics Grognards for 44CAD?

Day 6: Stormcast look marginally better than old Stormcast. I'm just not into Stormcast though. Lore-wise, it poops on top of Belakor's big earth-shattering victory. "Oh, you broke our connection so we can't be reforged? Well now we can again, nyah nyah nyah." Plus ca change...
    Rules Wise: Nothing unexpected. The video confirmed a bunch of rumours (core battalions, double turn, more ways to use CP), which means the other rules rumours are likely.
    Non-Stormcast: The rumours mill was leading towards wolf-riding mongol-themed hobgoblins. These seem more like Fimir. We'll see.

19. - Top - End - #409
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

[The Crab is] Clearly the break-out star of the entire week. [...] what they thought was a joke mini.
    As a DND player, I'm always on the lookout for regular animal minis, and Giant versions of the same.
    Most toys I can find are of farmyard and domestic animals. Which is both helpful and not helpful.

I think the damning part about Day 4, is that if all anyone is talking about, is the Crab...Then the day is basically a bust.
    As someone who avoids Twitter like the plague that it rightly is, I have no knowledge of whatever is going on.

I just want the Crab because it's useful to me.

STILL no female trooper options.
    You may not have looked close enough.
    I'm actually impressed that GW didn't make a big deal about it, because why should it be?

Primaris Orks to go with Primaris Stormcast. Take a wild guess at what is going to happen in the next codex/Army Book that is announced in the next cycle - Primaris Aspect Warriors and Primaris Genestealers, anyone?
    I think as per Cursed City, there's a conscious effort at GW to break away from 25/28mm scale, and move into 32mm scale, on purpose.

I think the main reason for this is to break away from the competition, and to **** over anyone who attempts to use another company's cheaper 25/28mm models as proxies, since that wont be viable anymore.
    (The minis in Cursed City were so cool...Oh wait...If they're Humans...Then they're 8-ft. tall...That's not right...)

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynchan'rGwyll View Post
    I'm honestly not even slightly mad at rescaled Orks, because for the first time in (hot take coming) forever, Orks actually look like decent models.
    I don't think anyone says that they look bad (well, I have some issues about the Ork character with the mangy hair, but he's one model in an entire box).
    I think the issue is more about what they represent, which is in line with invalidating Firstborn, making OG Primaris models redundant, etc. But now it's happening to Ork players, who likely have at least 30-60 Ork Boyz, currently...Not to mention all the players who ran Orks before 9th Ed.

New-scale models are good for new players. They're not so good for existing players.

Quote Originally Posted by Gwynchan'rGwyll View Post
    Not even a mention of Cursed City...
    That's because on Day 1 they explicitly said that they wouldn't be supporting it. First print is the only print. Scalpers, go!
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-05-09 at 09:07 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #410

Griffon

You may not have looked close enough.
    I'm actually impressed that GW didn't make a big deal about it, because why should it be?
    Eehhh... I *guess* I can kind of see it in the second row down, last on the right? And then maybe last row, second from the left? I know not to expect pigtails or anything, but it's still generous to call them specifically feminine.

And, why not make a big deal out of it? It's easy marketing; they look more human and approachable by taking a minor swipe at themselves ("Okay, here you go - they might be 20 years late, but we got there in the end, right?"), and it's a big "f*** you" to their critics who could (not entirely inaccurately) say that having one faction with non-transferrable feminine minis is just tokenism.

As someone who avoids Twitter like the plague that it rightly is, I have no knowledge of whatever is going on.
    In a turn that is perhaps entirely unique in the history of Twitter, it's incredibly positive and wholesome. People unironically like the crab; that's it.

I think that is a very predictable result, but it sounds like at the time GW had no idea that memes are a thing, or that people like cute stuff. Kind of weird for a company who also made a feature of a grot riding a mono-cycle-squig on the same day and use Nurglings as the mascot for their website, but the division between GW Marketing and everyone else isn't new to any of us I think....

21. - Top - End - #411
    Titan in the Playground

I don't think anyone says that they look bad (well, I have some issues about the Ork character with the mangy hair, but he's one model in an entire box).
    I think the issue is more about what they represent, which is in line with invalidating Firstborn, making OG Primaris models redundant, etc. But now it's happening to Ork players, who likely have at least 30-60 Ork Boyz, currently...Not to mention all the players who ran Orks before 9th Ed.

New-scale models are good for new players. They're not so good for existing players.
    Try 100+. You amassed a LOT of Ork boys playing Orks, its just the nature of how it goes, and if they make me have to buy up all 100+ boys again, that will be the thing that makes me finally cut ties with this hobby, cuz there is no way in hell I am dropping another $400 dollars to literally buy models I already have.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #412

Stu Black's interview about the Beast Snaggas where he says sure, you can add them to an existing Ork army, I'm doing it myself, really calls back to his bit about Firstborn Marines still being fine, he has three companies, not going to stop using them, don't know why anyone else would from the 8th edition launch and Primaris Marines.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

23. - Top - End - #413
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomePirate

I have become very cynical about GW. I used to assume "they came out with X to make the game better". Now I assume "they came out with X to sell more merchandise".

24. - Top - End - #414

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    I have become very cynical about GW. I used to assume "they came out with X to make the game better". Now I assume "they came out with X to sell more merchandise".
    That's both a fair and unfair assessment, in that yes, that's exactly what they're doing - they're a publicly traded corporation, after all - and yes but they know very well that making the game better (or at least factions better in a cyclical manner) moves merchandise. They're just not very good at making the game better.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

and if they make me have to buy up all 100+ boys again, that will be the thing that makes me finally cut ties with this hobby...
    Nobody makes you do anything. That's the trick.
    You can still use Tactical Marines. There actually isn't anything stopping you from using Tactical Marines. Why are you mad?

Also, it's 9th Ed. Nobody's army should feature even close to 100 models ever again.

I'm seeing it already on my Facebook Markets; People are selling their current Ork armies in order to fund their next one. But apparently this only happens in Australia. Which I find very hard to believe. But maybe it's just this Forum.

Quote Originally Posted by Trafalgar View Post
    They always try to invalidate your models. Always. I learned that around 6th Ed. Back when I still thought retail creates endorphins buying new models was fun, rather than mandatory, in order to keep up.
    But as we've noticed time and again, whether or not a new release makes the game better is seemingly random.

If GW actually put the Codex writers' names on the Cover, we'd see a pattern. Unfortunately, GW doesn't do that anymore, so nobody gets any blame credit.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-05-09 at 10:38 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #416
    Banned

Primaris Aspect Warriors anyone?
    Yes please, old foggies can burn, current AWs look like trash and are finecrap on top of that.

27. - Top - End - #417
    Ettin in the Playground

How will they explain primaris guardsmen?
    (Bigger orcs are easy to explain: they just get bigger over time, bigger necrons is also explainable but bigger guardsmen would just be so odd)
    Last edited by noob; 2021-05-09 at 11:12 AM.

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    (Bigger orcs are easy to explain: they just get bigger over time, bigger necrons is also explainable but bigger guardsmen would just be so odd)
    I don't think they are going to do that to Guardsmen. They just announced that they're refreshing the Cadian infantry range with an upgrade sprue, not a full kit replacement, so it would be weird to do that only to then re-issue the entire kit in a short time frame.

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by noob View Post
    It wouldn't be a lore change; GSC neophytes and the traitor guardsmen from BSF already exist, and are a few mm taller, with limbs and heads that are less boxy. Here's a good comparison photo.

I mean you might get a regimental standard announcing advancements in nutrition leading to a need for new uniforms, but it wouldn't be a lore shift the way Primaris marines are.
    Last edited by Squark; 2021-05-09 at 12:06 PM.

30. - Top - End - #420

Griffon

Yes please, old foggies can burn, current AWs look like trash and are finecrap on top of that.
    Allow me to clarify; Absolutely everybody wants updated AW models in plastic, no question about it, but I doubt that anyone wants a new variety of "Primaris" Aspect Warriors fielded along side normal-sized ones. And only the new ones get 1 extra wargear option.