New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 33 of 50 FirstFirst ... 8232425262728293031323334353637383940414243 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #961
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Warhammer 40K Tabletop Thread XLII: The Dice Make Fools of Us All

Quote Originally Posted by Blackhawk748 View Post
    I figured they were worth it cuz 35 (at most) for a free CP is totally worth it, I just hadn't heard anything about them. Don't recall anyone mentioning them here or any of the Hype articles I ran across mentioned them.
    I don't think we've really been talking about why things have been broken here lately. I honestly haven't felt up to it, most of the time.

But currently; Drukhari are broken. A couple reasons but big offenders is the Cult of Strife DLC and Dark Lances being D3+3 damage.

Ad Mech are broken because of some horribly undercosted units, as well as a series of combos that lead to a nigh invincible blob of skitarii with a 2+ save that ignores ap -1 and 2 and can only be wounded on 4+. They nerfed several parts of the combo but they're win rate is still way above average.

The Meta Watch on Warhammer Community is pretty insulting. 'Yeah Drukhari and Ad Mech have a win percentage of over 60%. But they aren't literally unbeatable so it's a healthy meta.'
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Ad Mech are broken because of some horribly undercosted units, as well as a series of combos that lead to a nigh invincible blob of skitarii with a 2+ save that ignores ap -1 and 2 and can only be wounded on 4+. They nerfed several parts of the combo but they're win rate is still way above average.

The Meta Watch on Warhammer Community is pretty insulting. 'Yeah Drukhari and Ad Mech have a win percentage of over 60%. But they aren't literally unbeatable so it's a healthy meta.'
    Ok, so Lucius Warlord Trait buffing a unit (the ignore unmodified To Wound rolls of 1-3), the Logi bonus and then just the Doctrina Imperitive that ups Saves.

I want to slap the person who came up with the Warlord Trait. It is moronically good. Like, a chimpanzee that knows how to read could tell you that's good. The only reason I didn't, is because I skipped Lucius cuz I play Stygies.

Also I checked the errata, and while they nerfed the Lucius Dogma Trait (sorta, kinda, not really, more like a clarification) they didn't touch ****. Yes they nerfed Enriched rounds, but that's because Auto Wounding on a 4+ with 60 shots for 1 CP is idiotically good. The new one is far more reasonable.

Like, who wrote this Codex? Why is Lucius so incredibly good now? They were ok before, but dear freaking God.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guigarci View Post
    "Mr. Aochev, tear down this wall!" Ro'n Ad-Ri'Gan, Bard
    Tiefling Sorcerer by Linkele
    Spoiler: Homebrew stuff
    Show
    My Spell, My Weapon, Im a God

My Post Apocalyptic Alternate Timeline setting: Amerhikan Wasteland

My Historical Stuff channel

3. - Top - End - #963
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Don't recall anyone mentioning them here or any of the Hype articles I ran across mentioned them.
    I did, and tournament players calling for drastic nerfs, did. So much so that GW turned their Errata around on the AdMech Codex a lot quicker than usual. When even scrubs are dominating the game, your Codex might be a bit too strong. Hype articles wont mention anything actually good because the people writing WarCom articles and the only people left doing reviews are more-than-likely shills, who don't actually understand what they're looking at or why something is good.

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesegear View Post
    I want things that are good, to be worth more. I want things that are bad, to be worth less.
    Unfortunately, the way the game is, a lot of things are good, because they are worth less, because GW doesn't even understand what is good in their game.
    ('Sup Skitarii)
    I'm running three D&D campaigns in between playing games of 40K and a bit of commission painting for a post-pandemic supplemental income. I just don't have time for Codex reviews anymore. Either you have the Codex in front you, and you're reading it. Or you don't have the Codex in front of you and there's no point.

Also a lot of people are worried about Codex reviews, because how do you talk about the Codex without mentioning specific rules and how they work.
    GW's IP guidelines are nebulous at best so many people don't know where they stand especially if doing a full rundown of the book.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-04 at 12:26 AM.
    Spoiler: My Mum Says I'm Cool
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Anuan View Post
    Cheesegear; Lovable Thesaurus ItP.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Cheesegear, have I told you yet that you're awesome?
    Quote Originally Posted by MeatShield#236 View Post
    ALL HAIL LORD CHEESEGEAR! Cheese for the cheesegear!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shas'aia Toriia View Post
    Cheesegear is awesome

4. - Top - End - #964
    Titan in the Playground

I did, and tournament players calling for drastic nerfs, did. So much so that GW turned their Errata around on the AdMech Codex a lot quicker than usual. When even scrubs are dominating the game, your Codex might be a bit too strong. Hype articles wont mention anything actually good because the people writing WarCom articles and the only people left doing reviews are more-than-likely shills, who don't actually understand what they're looking at or why something is good.
    Ya, that certainly explains why the errata is out so quick, and it doesn't seem to do anything to stop this utter madness. Well, it tries to stop the offense but it doesn't even do that, it just turns it down to a slightly more reasonable level.

I'm running three D&D campaigns in between playing games of 40K and a bit of commission painting for a post-pandemic supplemental income. I just don't have time for Codex reviews anymore. Either you have the Codex in front you, and you're reading it. Or you don't have the Codex in front of you and there's no point.

Also a lot of people are worried about Codex reviews, because how do you talk about the Codex without mentioning specific rules and how they work.
    GW's IP guidelines are nebulous at best so many people don't know where they stand especially if doing a full rundown of the book.
    I recall that comment, but I took that less as "My God what is this Ad Mech madness" and more of "Skitarii, as usual, are incredibly efficient for their points costs and GW doesn't understand this"

I mean, I guess both of these are true. And I now have said Codex in front of me and my face is buried in my hands as I groan loudly because that trait is duuuuuuuumb
    Show

5. - Top - End - #965
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

To break it down to be more clear:

I'm not sure how much me writing Guides is...Effective. It's definitely effective for me, personally. Much the same as a 3D artist sharing their .stls for free. I'm going to be reading my Codex anyway, I'm going to be doing my spreadsheets anyway, I'm going to be writing quick notes for myself, anyway. Once I've done that, why not share it? I don't gain anything by keeping my information to myself. Again, a lot like a 3D artist. If you aren't planning on making money off of it anyway, why not just give it away? You don't lose anything.

But, see. The 'quick notes' I write for myself, are just that. 'Reivers are really bad.' I know what that means, to me, because I've read my Codex. I can just...Remember what that means. Someone else, who already has the Codex, can also read. If I say 'Reivers are bad', they might not necessarily know what I'm talking about, but I'm sure they could go back and check their Codex, read the entry and think to themselves 'Cheesegear says Reivers are bad, why? I'm looking at the book, and how can I try and see what he sees?' ...Eventually, I hope, someone can see why Reivers are one of the worst units in the Codex, even if I didn't explicitly point it out to them, because they have access to exactly the same Codex that I do, and they're reading the exact same thing that I am. Our information isn't different. There's no fake news. We're both reading the exact same thing.

However, that's not enough. In a very casual forum like this one, not everyone keeps up. Not everyone has every Codex. Someone, inevitably, will ask 'Why is [X] good? Why is [Y] bad? Explain yourself.' As I keep saying over and over again, I don't know what 'Skill' is anymore, save the ability to just read good. That may be because of the simplification of 9e makes what's good and bad real solved (Drukharii being a very obvious exception, but that's a different kettle of fish for another time), but I digress.

This means that I can't just write out my quick notes:
    1. Bad
    2. Best
    3. Okay. I guess.
    4. Looks good. Wont work.
    5. Other Best, if 2 isn't going to work for your army build, use build centered around 5 if you want.
    6. Might need more looking into. Look for potential combo? Gimmick build?

That doesn't mean anything to anyone unless you already have the Codex. If you already have the Codex...Just read it? If you have a specific question or want to make a specific comparison over two or three units, then we can do that. But for me to go over every. Single. Unit. Even the ones that aren't particularly complicated (e.g; Do I really have to detail how Assault Intercessors just aren't very good? Really? Is that where we're at? They're not as bad as Reivers. But also they're not very good, and I don't think I need to explain why. If you have the Codex, you should also be able to see why). What am I doing?

If you don't have the Codex, what I've written is useless to you. Which means that I have to into depth on why I think something is the best, why something is bad. Why something doesn't work. Not just for one thing...But for almost everything in the book. As other places have pointed out, doing too much or going too in depth on...Stuff...Might get you in trouble with GW's dumb IP guidelines (which they have still not rescinded, GG). In order to explain why Bladeguard Veterans are good, I have to go into detail about why other Melee-based units, aren't good...And now I'm back to explaining why Reivers are bad, even though I shouldn't have to. The units with the Power Swords and the Storm Shields are better than the units that don't have Power Swords and Storm Shields. 9e is not rocket science. It just isn't.

Now, I type very fast. Sure. But it's still time and effort that I could spend doing...Anything else. Like writing campaign notes for one of my D&D groups, like painting one of my commissions...Or, y'know...Actually going to play games. I just don't think writing Guides for Codecies is worth it anymore. So I stopped doing it. I certainly have all the Codecies (except Thousand Sons), and I'm certainly playing games with my Grey Knights...But yeah, I'm just not doing it anymore. For better or worse.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-04 at 04:12 AM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

6. - Top - End - #966
    Titan in the Playground

No, I totally get it. Its annoying, particularly when there's a ridiculous amount of unit bloat (Hi Space Marines) and the Dexes that don't have that are fairly easy to figure out what's good or not. Hell, the reason I didn't know Lucius was broken as all hell was because I, hilariously, hadn't read it.

Having rectified that situation, yes, yes it is incredibly broken. And no in-depth explanation is required to explain why.

And, just another note on interesting design choices for this Dex, both Kataphron variants increased their Armor Save by 1. I was... surprised by this.
    Show

7. - Top - End - #967
    Titan in the Playground

Also Goonhammer often does something very similar where they go over every unit and talk about it. Their conclusion can be janky and overly positive but they still actually talk about the units in detail, so just draw your own conclusions and there you go.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

8. - Top - End - #968
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Also Goonhammer often does something very similar where they go over every unit and talk about it. Their conclusion can be janky and overly positive but they still actually talk about the units in detail, so just draw your own conclusions and there you go.
    For my own entertainment I went to go read the Goonhammer Ad Mech review, (I normally don't read them simply because they softball stuff too much and it annoys me) and, welp.

WAY TO COMPLETELY UNDERSTATE HOW NUTS LUCIUS IS GUYS.

They even reference Transhuman, and how this last for a full round instead of one phase. And their reaction is "Ya, this is pretty good, Mars is still probably better".

Mars is fine. Mas is lovely, cuz giving Canticles to Skitarii is great and all, but it's not Transhuman on demand for a full Round plus all the other silliness. By the Omnissiah I am glad that I play Stygies which is just "Less good Lucius"

Edit: And they talk about Luminary Suffusion instead of Scarifying Weapons. Yes, Suffusion is cute and (I find) funny, but we're just gonna not talk about giving Vanguard S4 Ap-1 Rad Carbines? Like, I am overvaluing that? Cuz that sounds hilarious to me.
    Last edited by Blackhawk748; 2021-09-04 at 01:41 PM.
    Show

9. - Top - End - #969
    Banned

ClericGirl

Has anyone here tried the new WH+ thingie? How has their experience been? Im thinking of picking it up as a gift, but not sure. Seems pretty divisive online.

10. - Top - End - #970
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by LucyO View Post
    Has anyone here tried the new WH+ thingie? How has their experience been? Im thinking of picking it up as a gift, but not sure. Seems pretty divisive online.
    I’ve picked it up, on the basis that I like the mini you get for subscribing and was already paying for the 40k app. The content that is on there so far is ok, but quite limited atm, the real test will be how much they ramp up the offer of new shows. I was quite disappointed that there was only one new animation released this week for example.

Basically, if you find a couple of the things on it of interest, it’s worth a look, but it’s probably not worth going for as just a ‘I’ll see if there’s anything of interest’ style thing.
    Evil round every corner, careful not to step in any.

11. - Top - End - #971
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Im thinking of picking it up as a gift, but not sure. Seems pretty divisive online.
    My only experience is the Midwinter Minis review, which did not sell me on it. And Midwinter Minis is usually very critical of GW, mostly because he stopped receiving free Blackstone Fortress stuff because he said the NDA wasn't worth it...And holy **** I didn't know you could actually say that out loud. But he did.

Painting Tutorials are great...For those who need them. Once you've seen a couple of the major techniques - specifically thinning your paints, and the difference between Contrast paints, Edge highlighting, wet blending and drybrushing. You know the vast majority of what you need to know about painting. The rest is colour theory.

Issues of White Dwarf are amazing for colour theory, and how to do certain patterns. Rather than do the official scheme, White Dwarf and the old Warhammer Visions often feature community content (something which the ironically named Warhammer Community rarely does), and some of the painters' and designers' personal armies, which are often painted very differently to 'normal', and it's very nice to know how someone did something. That being said, sometimes people in White Dwarf wont just tell you the colours that they used they'll actually post a video about how they specifically did it (hint; Learn how to drybrush). But, similar to learning how to paint. Once you have a colour wheel, and you understand colour theory (Wraith even taught me about warm and cool colours), you can wind up making pretty good guesses on how to paint something like someone else just by seeing a picture. But yeah. A giant hole in WH+ is that YouTube still exists. Hence why there might be an issue with using Warhammer minis in your YouTube videos now...But let's see what happens in six months.
    (e.g; Google Image Search for peoples' Beholders, and then just use the colours that what you see)

How the rest of the Warhammer Vault is old content. The problem with old content is that it's old. I have no idea what value you'd get out of that. But that's up to you. It might be fun to go back and read Sanctus Reach and Vigilus and War Zone: Damocles and all the other campaigns that nobody particularly cared about. Actually yeah. Rather than reading a Lexicanum article, or watching a WH40K Lore video that repeats the WH40Kwiki verbatim, you can maybe actually go to the source, and read specific dialogue and read how specific scenes play out.

"During the fall of the Pons Solar, Camba Diaz was witnessed defending a bridge from swarms of enemies. He died killing and killing, never taking a step backwards." - Lexicanum.

...Yeah. That sure is how that scene went down.

The Battle Reports have amazing production value (go, go Toby Longworth...I love you...). If you like watching other people play games, that's something you can do. However I don't know what the armies are like and whether or not it's worth my time. I barely watch high-level tournament tables on Twitch once or twice a year. I'm not sure what value casual-hype-train battle reports are to someone like me.

The animation content...There just needs to be more. It's not bad or anything. It's just not enough.

I do know, however, that WH+ is designed as a consistent, persistent revenue stream for GW. It would really suck for GW if people didn't buy into it. I don't know who it's designed for*. But it sure isn't designed for me.

*Well, I do. But then I'd be repeating myself.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-04 at 05:11 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

12. - Top - End - #972
    Titan in the Playground

I picked it up on the basis that I could try it for two months and get the voucher if i didnt like it. I like the battle reports, though I was disappointed to see that the Vault was lore only - I remember the Gathering Storm scenarios being really cool and wanted to reread them.

13. - Top - End - #973
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LeSwordfish View Post
    I picked it up on the basis that I could try it for two months and get the voucher if i didnt like it. I like the battle reports, though I was disappointed to see that the Vault was lore only - I remember the Gathering Storm scenarios being really cool and wanted to reread them.
    The Vault being just Lore has been joked about in several Discords I'm on, because it feels rather needless to be that way. Like, you have the Lore half of the book in there, stick the old scenarios and rules in it too.

Anyway, since I've actually got opponents to play against now, here's an Ad Mech list I slapped together. I'm really just posting it here to make sure Im not dumb.

Spoiler: Return of Stygies
    Show

Forgeworld: Stygies
    Warlord Trait: Masterwork Bionics
    Pre Battle CP: Archeotech SPecialist: Exemplar's Eternity

HQ
    Logi Tech Priest Dominus w/ Raiment of the Technomartyr-110 (Warlord)
    Tech Priest Manipulus-70
    Skitarii Marshall w/ Exemplar's Eternity-45
    Daedolosus-55

Troops
    6 Kataphron Destroyers-240
    20 Rangers-160
    20 Rangers-160
    20 Vanguard-160
    20 Vanguard-160
    20 Vanguard-160

Elite
    Datasmith-40

Heavy Support
    6 Kastellan Robots w/ 6x Phosphor Blasters-630

Total 1990

It's all very straightforward. A giant gunline just swarms the board and buries everything I don't like in a hail of radioactive gunfire backed up by long range support from Robots and Rangers. I am not very mobile, but I have tons, and tons of shots. Vehicles will probably kinda suck.
    Show

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

Currently no. Might sub in once the Sigmar content is added; but for now the old sigmar app has nearly everything I need, outside a single endless spell.
    Rule of Cool former designer

Games I'm playing: League of Legends, Mechwarrior Online

15. - Top - End - #975
    Pixie in the Playground

The Vault being just Lore has been joked about in several Discords I'm on, because it feels rather needless to be that way. Like, you have the Lore half of the book in there, stick the old scenarios and rules in it too.

Anyway, since I've actually got opponents to play against now, here's an Ad Mech list I slapped together. I'm really just posting it here to make sure Im not dumb.
    I don’t see any countercharge threat, or any units that can do actions. You have one ability to fall back and shoot, but the rest of your army is stuck once they make contact. The list also gives up No Prisoners super hard. Even with veteran cohort rules available, I think you’ll really struggle to deal with being screened out, and your units’ huge footprints mean it’s tough to hide them. This feels like an 8e list ported over to 9e, and while you might be able to muscle through some games on firepower alone, I think you’ll have better results with a less skewed asset pool.

Just my immediate thought

16. - Top - End - #976
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Silvaria View Post
    I don’t see any countercharge threat, or any units that can do actions. You have one ability to fall back and shoot, but the rest of your army is stuck once they make contact. The list also gives up No Prisoners super hard. Even with veteran cohort rules available, I think you’ll really struggle to deal with being screened out, and your units’ huge footprints mean it’s tough to hide them. This feels like an 8e list ported over to 9e, and while you might be able to muscle through some games on firepower alone, I think you’ll have better results with a less skewed asset pool.

Just my immediate thought
    I mean... that's exactly what it is. It's my old Gun Castle with the new HQs added in. As for hiding... I don't really care? Like, Im Stygies, I count as being in cover all the time anyway so all I care about is blocking LoS occasionally.

And I don't do actions, not really the plan here and I don't own any of the melee units so its just Robots.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #977
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I mean... that's exactly what it is. It's my old Gun Castle with the new HQs added in.
    Well the idea is that Gun Castles don't exactly work in 9e anymore. You're just asking to get wrecked by a few units your opponent places in Reserve.

And I don't do actions, not really the plan here and I don't own any of the melee units so its just Robots.
    Yeah. So unfortunately the only real criticism is 'Buy New Models'. But since that's rarely useful advice, what you've got is what you've got. Your list has severe weaknesses, but it seems like you're okay with that. So there's no problem?
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

18. - Top - End - #978
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah. So unfortunately the only real criticism is 'Buy New Models'. But since that's rarely useful advice, what you've got is what you've got. Your list has severe weaknesses, but it seems like you're okay with that. So there's no problem?
    Well, I was thinking of grabbing some Fulgurites as they look ok, and I do have a 5 man unit of... Infiltrators I think? Can't recall if I made them Ruststalkers or Infiltrators.

Other choices were Ironstriders
    Show

19. - Top - End - #979
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

At 3:25-3:45 I laughed out loud.. But the whole video is on point.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

20. - Top - End - #980
    Titan in the Playground

At 3:25-3:45 I laughed out loud.. But the whole video is on point.
    I love how the Heavy Grav Guns are just two Grav Guns stuck together
    Show

21. - Top - End - #981
    Firbolg in the Playground

"Two for the price of three."
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein

22. - Top - End - #982
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Renegade Paladin View Post
    "Two for the price of three."
    For a 5-minute video, it might literally just be the best takedown of GW's business and sales policies that I've ever seen.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

23. - Top - End - #983
    Titan in the Playground

Simple rules clarification question here:

The Fulgurite stave says "An unmodified wound roll of 6 inflicts 2 mortal wounds on the target and the attack sequence ends"

This just means that you can't make them Fight again or something right?
    Show

24. - Top - End - #984
    Titan in the Playground

What "the attack sequence ends" means is that you can't then go on to roll Wounds, Save, etc - you do the 2 Mortal wounds instead of rolling to wound, not as well as. It doesn't prevent fighting twice or anything.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Simple rules clarification question here:

The Fulgurite stave says "An unmodified wound roll of 6 inflicts 2 mortal wounds on the target and the attack sequence ends"

This just means that you can't make them Fight again or something right?
    Of course you can. Because your real question is 'What's an attack sequence?'

In which case you should probably read your rulebook:
    Roll to hit.
    Roll to wound. [If you roll a '6', deal 2 Mortal Wounds and STOP.]
    Allocate wounds.
    Make saves.
    Inflict Damage.
    Do Next Attack. Do Fast Dice Rolling and make multiple attacks at the same time, please. Stop slow-playing.

This is contrasted to weapons that deal Mortal Wounds in addition to normal damage on a hit/wound roll, where you would continue the attack sequence.
    Last edited by Cheesegear; 2021-09-07 at 05:30 PM.
    Show
    Cheesegear is awesome

26. - Top - End - #986
    Titan in the Playground

Of course you can. Because your real question is 'What's an attack sequence?'

In which case you should probably read your rulebook:
    Roll to hit.
    Roll to wound. [If you roll a '6', deal 2 Mortal Wounds and STOP.]
    Allocate wounds.
    Make saves.
    Inflict Damage.
    Do Next Attack. Do Fast Dice Rolling and make multiple attacks at the same time, please. Stop slow-playing.

This is contrasted to weapons that deal Mortal Wounds in addition to normal damage on a hit/wound roll, where you would continue the attack sequence.
    Ah, that clears that up. Never saw this wording elsewhere so I wanted some clarification
    Show

27. - Top - End - #987
    Barbarian in the Playground

A Guide to Orks
    Part 1 - The non-Roster part

Spoiler: Basic Truths & Stat Lines
    Show
    As a general rule, Ork units are good in melee and have horrible accuracy with ranged weapons, which they try to make up for with sheer volume of fire. They double down on both of these tracks by having the ability to put a lot of models into one unit if you're willing to pay for it--frequently 15-30 of them. They also generally have weak armor saves.

However.

In 9th Edition, Orks now have a base Toughness of FIVE. This is both gross and hilarious, because it means that Lasguns and Bolters are equally effective (Read: Not especially) on them. Reducing the odds of being wounded by most anti-infantry weapons by about 17% means a lot more of da boyz will be making it to their next turn and ruining your opponent's day.

Spoiler: Abilities
    Show
    'Ere We Go
    You can re-roll charges. Unlike the previous version, you can't just re-roll one of the dice, you have to re-roll both of them. Still pretty good, since it's functionally a free CP in your hand any time you make a charge roll, and you'll be doing that a lot. Most of your units have this rule.

Dakka Weapons
    A new weapon type that's basically "Orky Rapid Fire"; while within half range, you get about 40% more shots. A number of weapons that used to be Assault got moved over to being Dakka weapons, like Shootas and Dakkaguns, but also the Loota's signature Deffgun, which used to be Heavy d3 instead of Dakke 3/2. Largely an upgrade, or at least a side-grade.

Mob Rule
    Some units have the MOB keyword. Units with Mob Rule that are within 6" of such units are never counted as being under half strength so long as the MOB unit is not under half strength. Basically all of your multi-model INFANTRY units (except Grots) are MOBs.

If I'm not mistaken, you can actually daisy-chain the effect of Mob Rule across your entire army so long as you have at least one unit that is at exactly half strength or above, because they are "never considered to be under half strength", which is neat. Gotta hold off that Attrition somehow.

Ramshackle
    A more reliable version of the old rule that got given out like candy to most of your VEHICLEs. Reduce all incoming damage characteristics by 1 (minimum 1) unless the attack is S8+. Your silly papercraft vehicles now laugh at Heavy Bolters and Autocannons, but have no "but if I roll a 6!" protection to troll Meltas and Lascannons and the like. Since a lot of your vehicles are in the T5-7 range, this is pretty alright, as it means that opponents will have to commit their heaviest weapons to the job, and any mid-range weapons will be comparatively ineffective.

Beast Snagga
    The new kidz in the book get two special rules to justify their existence (and higher cost): (1)BEAST SNAGGAS have +1 to hit vs VEHICLEs and MONSTERs with any kind of attack, and (2)BEAST SNAGGAS have a 6+ Invulnerable Save. They also have higher Strength characteristics than their equivalent units.

Orks tend to have garbage saves (many with just their standard 6+ "t-shirt" save), so any amount of AP will usually ignore what they've got, and having that Invul to fall back on is nice. The bonus to hit is also good if your opponent has enough heavy models around that you'll get your points worth.

Spoiler: The Clans
    Show
    Unlike some other armies, Orks don't have any kind of Build-Your-Own-Clan powers. You'll just have to make do with the canon Clans. At least they can all ally in different Detachments if you want to pay the CP cost for the extra ones.

BEAST SNAGGAS and FLASH GITZ can be of any Clan, despite their obvious theming toward Snakebites and Freebooterz, respectively. This is a wonderful thing.

Bad Moons: All Dakka and Heavy weapons have +6", and all ranged attacks gain an additional -1AP on natural 6s to wound. The bonus range for Dakka weapons also increases their extra-shots range, which is nice, and since Rokkit Launchas have been switched to Heavy d3 weapons, these bonuses will surely come in handy there too.

Blood Axes: They can Fall Back and shoot or charge, and have Light Cover against shots coming from over 18" away. Getting +1 to your save isn't...super relevant when most of your models only have a 6+, and anything that has a decent save is either a vehicle or melee-focused, and wants to be up close. Falling back and being able to keep attacking with whatever your unit is better at is pretty good though.

Deathskulls: Your INFANTRY are ObSec, everything ignores Mortal Wounds on 5+, and each unit can reroll one Hit or Wound roll each time they shoot or fight.
    Deathskulls are the best at maximizing the impact of having a small number of special weapons in each squad, and many small sqauds to put them in. Kustom Mega-Blastas are particularly well-supported, since KMBs deal you a Mortal Wound if you roll a 1 to hit, and being a Deathskull gives you two ways out of having to actually take it.
    It's sort of annoying from a flavor perspective that the BEAST SNAGGAS somehow managed to steal the 6+ Invulnerable saves from these ladz, when it's the Deathskulls with the penchant for looting things.

Evil Sunz: Models gain +1" to their Move (+2" for SPEED FREEKS) and +1" to Advance rolls. They also can Advance and fire Assault weapons without penalties. Unfortunately, with the advent of Dakka weapons, there are far fewer Assault weapons in the codex. You're down to Burnas and Skorchas (which auto-hit anyways), KMBs and the Tellyport Blasta, and about half of the weapons strapped to the various Orktober Buggies. Since those buggy models are also all SPEED FREEKS, you do get some nice mobility buffs from this Clan, but they'll all be competing for the same Fast Attack slots.

Freebooterz: Each time you fully destroy an enemy unit with a Freebooterz unit, all of your other Freebooterz get a +1 to hit until the end of the phase. This means that most units will be functionally WS2+ and BS4+ (BS3+ for Big Meks and Flash Gitz). While the plusses technically do stack, it's only for the purpose for cancelling penalties; your final bonus can only be a total of +1. This does mean that Freebooterz can quickly offset penalties for Assault and Heavy weapons in motion, as well as Powerklaws and Killsaws, so you don't have any excuse not to be loading up on those weapons.

Goffs: Natural 6s to hit in melee score two hits, and models gain +1 Strength if they charged or Heroically Intervened this turn. That Strength bonus pushes Boyz and the like up to S5, which is great for fighting T4 majority armies (Marines, Necrons) or T5 armies (Death Guard, and the mirror match vs other Orks). BEAST SNAGGA BOYZ go up to S6, with appropriately devastating results against T3 and T5 enemies. Models with Powerklaws and Killsaws don't notice the extra Strength unless they have penalties (and even then, the penalty would have to be huge to make a difference), but that's what happens when you're already S10+.

Snakebites: Squigs gain +1 to wound when they charge/intervene, and all of your units have permanent Transhuman Physiology...unless the attack is S8 or higher. Which is the only value that can wound on 2s against anything in the book except Grots (which don't get Kultur powers anyways), and 3s against T5-7 vehicles. I...don't really get what this is supposed to do now that Orks are T5. I guess it protects your models from Autocannons and standard Plasma? Specifically your Meganobz and the Orktober Buggies, because if your opponent is firing all their good weapons into a 30-pack of Boyz, you're either already winning or about to be tabled, with no inbetween.

Also some Blood Angels and Drukhari, actually, and probably a decent number of other things, since +/- to hit/wound is 40k's new favorite thing.

Spoiler: Specialist Mobs
    Show
    For each Detachment you have, you can "upgrade" one unit with a new keyword and ability at the expense of their <CLAN>, which may not always be a great trade. Each Specialism can only go on certain specific unit types.

Pyromaniacs: Weapons with 'burn' and 'skorch' in the name, plus the Killa Jet, can't roll lower than a 3 for their number of attacks. Effectiveness obviously goes up the more flame weapons you have, so Burna Boyz and the Kustom Boosta-Blasta get the biggest bang from it. Oddly, the KBB buggy isn't listed in the units that can take it on the resource I'm using, but that is definitely an oversight somewhere, because the unique Burna Exhaust weapon of the KBB is called out in the description. If it's not in the Codex when mine eventually arrives, it'll be in the Errata. (This isn't the last you'll hear of this.)
    BURNA BOYZ, BURNA-BOMMER, BOOMDAKKA SNAZZWAGON, DEFFKILLA WARTRIKE, NOB, WARBOSS, KUSTOM BOOSTA-BLASTA added through Errata.

Boomboyz: Blast weapons get 1 extra AP. Kannons, Rokkits, Grenades, and Kustom Mega-Blastas are the main beneficiaries, so like the Pyros, only units that get a lot of them are going to make the best possible use out of the ability, and that means Tankbustas. Since they're only AP-2 normally, this is a solid buy if your Clan isn't one of the shooty ones.
    BIG MEK, BLITZA-BOMMER removed in Errata because its bombs work differently, DEFFKOPTAS, MEK, NOB, TANKBUSTAS, WAGON, WARBOSS

Flyboyz: You have Light Cover as long as you're being attacked from more than 6" away, taking your save from a 4+ to a 3+ on any of the allowed models. That's pretty snazzy. Only Deffkoptas can come in squadrons, though (and they're Ld6, so you're somewhat likely to lose models to Morale), so it might be a single-model buff.
    All four planes, and DEFFKOPTAS

Big Krumpaz: It's Krumpin' Time! Units that load up on heavy melee weapons get +1 to hit with them, offsetting the penalty of Powerklaws and Killsaws and making your giant murderous trashcans hit on 2s. Deff Dreads and Mega Nobz can come in squads, so they get the biggest boost. Now you just have to get them across the field, which there are a fair number of ways of doing. Trukks, Wagons, Da Jump, and the Ramming Speed! strat all help your death machines from A to B.
    DEFF DREADS, GORKANAUT, MEGA ARMOR NOBZ, MEGA ARMOR CHARACTER, MORKANAUT

Madboyz: Roll a d3 every Battle Round to see what random ability you have to work around having. Gain a 6" Pile-In (Why would you need this?), Deathskull Re-rolls (Just play Deathskulls?), or +1 Strength on all melee attacks (Or be Goffs). Yay, randomness. You can put it on basically any non-VEHICLE unit, but...don't.
    BIKER, CAVALRY, CHARACTER, MOB

Sneaky Gitz: When you make melee attacks against a target receiving the Benefits of Cover, gain -1AP. It counters the bonus from Heavy Cover, and is otherwise all benefit. However, it relies on your opponent to position units actually in cover for this to work, which they may not.
    BOYZ, KOMMANDOS, NOB, WARBOSS

Trukk Boyz: And here it is, the one that completely doesn't work as written. Trukk Boys can disembark from a Trukk after the Trukk has made a Normal Move (fantastic), and the Trukk gains +1 to hit with ranged attacks while they're inside (irrelevant). Unfortunately, because Specialisms take away the <CLAN> Keyword, they are not longer allowed in the Trukk. Obviously this will have to be errata'd in some way, but until then any sane opponent or TO should let you run it. Assuming the rule works, Meganobz are probably your best bet. Remember that the Trukk itself doesn't trade out it's <C[size=1LAN[/size] keyword, so it can still gain the benefits of, say, Evil Sunz, and have an extra inch of movement.
    BOYZ, NOB, WARBOSS

Wait, wait, I just realized, it DOES work, but only for Kaptain Badrukk. For whatever reason, the Trukk is written to allow "12 FLASH GITZ or <CLAN> INFANTRY models", and 'Flash Gits' isn't a <CLAN>, it's a unit-type keyword that the Gitz and Badrukk have in addition to their <CLAN> keywords.

Badrukk is also a WARBOSS, so he's a legal target of the Specialism (unlike regular Flash Gitz, which are inexplicably not NOBZ).

It still needs to be errata'd, but it technically has one legal way of being played already.

As everyone knew it would, the Errata has fixed this. Trukks can now also carry Specialist Mobs.

'Orrible Gitz: This unit of basic Grots gains ObSec (Wait, they didn't have ObSec? Man, they really nerfed Grots...) and ALL non-Runtherd units within 3" of these Grots have -1 to hit with ranged attacks. So you're supposed to...get them within 3" of an enemy and surround them without making a charge to penalize their shooting? Or bury them in bodies, and foul their pistol attacks before they wipe the floor with you anyways. The ObSec part is solid, but the other part is weird. It also ruins your own models' shots, so it's kind of a big deal that it's so awkward to use. I'd say you should just Da Jump them into the enemy lines to try to eat up area and cause penalties, but since the power puts you outside of 9", that doesn't work until the next turn, at which point you'll have lost a third of the unit to morale if your opponent just flicked a few elastic bands their way. I guess you could just buy a 30-blob and run them onto a midfield Objective and dare your opponent to take it from your chaff unit with Leadership support from the Runtherd behind them.
    GRETCHIN CORE only

Spoiler: Stratagems
    Show
    Ork Stratagems are often very picky about what units they work for, which can be sort of off-putting. Many of them only work on specific units, or the new BEAST SNAGGA models. Is this a trend in the other Codices too? I'm not familiar enough with them to be certain, but I assume so.
    (GW: "Buy the new models! What are you waiting for? What do you mean most of them haven't released at time of writing, buy everything! Buy a whole new army for a different faction while you wait!")

On the bright side, it can cut out a lot of bookkeeping at the table if you have a pre-organized list of what Strats you can actually use, and there's no reason you couldn't add whatever specific models to your collection later. At least they aren't sub-faction locked.

Spoiler: Fun for the Whole Waaagh!
    Show
    Extra Gubbinz: Take extra Relics.

Big Boss: More Warlord Traits, please.

Get Stuck In Ladz! (1/2): Pile-in/consolidate +3" with BOYZ or BEAST SNAGGA BOYZ, costing more for units with 11+ models.

Breakin' Heads (2): If a non-Grot <CLAN> unit fails Morale next to a matching WARBOSS or NOBZ unit, take 1d3 MW instead. Funny on Deathskulls.

Orks Is Never Beaten (2): Did your CHARACTER die in combat when they haven't even attacked yet? Make your attacks anyways, and take someone down with you, today!

Tide of Muscle: A non-Grot CORE unit ignores penalties to charge. Cover, T'au and Primaris Impulsor grav shenanigans, and other niche problems are all ignored so you can get stuck in.

Tellyporta (2): Set up a PL<20 unit for later Deep Striking. Transports keep their contents (which don't appear to count against the PL check), but since you can't disembark to charge that turn, something shooty might be better. The Big'ed Bossbuka Fortification has been getting tossed around as a fun possible choice, which I'll address when I eventually get to the unit itself. (Spoiler: It is both legal and funny.)

More Dakka! (2): Treat a unit's Dakka weapons as if they were in half range.

Cloud of Smoke (2): At the start of your opponent's Shooting Phase, pick a SPEED FREEKS VEHICLE that gains a 6" Aura of -1 to hit that only effects SPEED FREEKS VEHICLES. If you're running a lot of Orktober Buggies, this is the only Stratagem you need besides maybe Ramming Speed. Protect your whole army on the go!

Tankbusta Bomb: One model in a regular BOYZ, KOMMANDOS, or TANKBUSTAS unit can replace their attacks with one swing that deals 2d3 MW to a VEHICLE if it hits.

Force Field Boosta (2): Supercharge a Kustom Force Field at the start of your opponent's Shooting Phase up to a 9" aura of 5++ until the end of the turn, at which point it breaks and is useless. This Stratagem also can only be used once, so you can't bring multiples to get around the issue (though any back-up KFFs do still work normally). As a sidenote, the KFF's aura works in melee, so this can still be helpful even if your opponent is more about Turn 1 Charges than shooting threats.

Spoiler: The Only Unit For Me
    Show
    Grot Shields (2): At the start of your opponent's Shooting Phase, select one ORK INFANTRY unit to be untargettable so long as a selected GRETCHIN non-CHARACTER INFANTRY unit is within 6" of them and closer to the potential attacking models. And since Morale isn't checked until the end, if even one Grot survives a clearing volly, your opponent has to dedicate another unit to clearing the last little runt away before anything can target the actual threat. Because of how annoying it might be to bother shooting down the Grots in the first place, this can actually protect both of your units through the power of Not Being Worth The Bother.

Hit 'Em Harder (2): Give a MEGANOBZ unit +1 damage on their klaws and saws. For when you absolutely must kill a Titan in one charge, Waaagh! a Warboss up behind them and accept no substitutes.

Cuttin' Flames: A BURNA BOYZ unit gets AP-2 in melee.

Burn 'Em All!: When a BURNA-BOMMER fires its skorcha missile racks (which you had to pay to give it), each OTHER unit within 3" take 1 MW. Not the primary target, though. If your opponent is bunched up enough that this is 100% worth it, great, but they shouldn't be.

Gun Crazy Show Offs (2): Shoot again with your FLASH GITZ at the closest enemy.

Spoiler: Vehicles of All Ages
    Show
    Careen! (1/2): Move an unengaged VEHICLE up to 6" when it explodes, to either dodge your allies or push deeper into enemy territory. Costs extra for Wagons and Titans. To clarify something I didn't previously: The model moves UP to 6", but that's limited by its own Movement value, so you can't Careen! Fortifications or whatever. As hilarious as that would be.

Ramming Speed (2): A VEHICLE charges 3d6" and deals 1d3 MW on a 2+ when they make it in.

Lumbering Strides: Re-roll only one charge die for a MORKANAUT, GORKANAUT, or STOMPA unit. Can be combined with Ramming Speed if you really, really need to make that charge.

Groundshaker Shells: When a HUNTA RIG or KILL RIG fires their 'Eavy Lobba on your turn, if they hit a non-Titanic, non-Flying unit, then that unit halves their Move and suffers a -2 to Advance and Charge rolls for one round. With a 48" range and 1d6 shots, you're pretty likely to land that one necessary hit on whatever enemy unit it'll do work on. Movement of all kinds is pretty important when you have to contest Objectives, and this could make it functionally impossible for a unit to get onto one. Particularly big penalty to Biker and Vehicle units which would otherwise be able to cross half a table in a single move.

Spoiler: Beast Snaggas Only
    Show
    Other Orks need not apply.

Da Bigger Dey Iz... (2): Your BEAST SNAGGA WARBOSS deals +2 damage per melee attack to Titanic units. Beastboss on Squigasaur + Fists of Gork + Brutal But Kunnin'...Ok, maybe accept one substitute...

Tough As Squig-Hide (2): It's Transork Physiology, but only for BEAST SNAGGA INFANTRY and CAVALRY units. For if you don't want to play Snakebites, which is fair.

Monster Hunterz (2): Up to 3 BEAST SNAGGA units that attack one MONSTER or VEHICLE gain +1 to wound this phase (on top of their native +1 to hit).

Snagga Grapple (2): Has nothing to do with the Deffkilla Wartrike's Snagga Klaw anymore, because GW couldn't be bothered to come up with a new Stratagem name. A single BEAST SNAGGA BOYZ unit can prevent any non-Titanic enemy unit they're in combat with from Falling Back on a 4+, but you have to use the Stratagem at the start of the Phase, so, before they've attempted to do that. It's not THAT hard to predict, but the fact that you could spend 2CP to do nothing in two different ways is rather annoying, and will only be moreso if your BSBoyz are immediately shot to pieces.

Unstoppable Momentum: A NOB ON SMASHA SQUIG that killed itself out of Engagement Range with it's MW impact hits can immediately charge again. Slingshot yourself into a combat you couldn't otherwise reach, or blow up a damaged Transport and charge the contents. Actually hilarious, basically always use this.

Spoiler: <Clan> Specific Stratagems
    Show
    These Stratagems can only be used if your Warlord is of the specified <CLAN>. This is important both for mixed-<CLAN> armies as well as anyone who wants to take Thraka, who is always your Warlord, but isn't limited to only being in GOFFS lists.

Bad Moons - Showin' Off: A CORE or CHARACTER unit scores an extra hit on nat 6s with Dakka Weapons.

Blood Axes - Ded Sneaky: Put one INFANTRY unit that's within 3" of any board edge into Strategic Reserves. Can't be used on MEGA ARMOR units.

Deathskulls - Wreckaz (2): A CORE or CHARACTER unit gains +1 to wound against VEHICLES for your Shooting or Fight Phase.

Evil Sunz - Drive By Dakka: A SPEED FREEK unit can Move again at the end of the Shooting Phase, but not charge this turn. Get yourself out of LoS, onto a key Objective, or both.

Freebooterz - Get Da Loot: At the start of the Command Phase, pick an INFANTRY to grant ObSec for one round.

Goffs - Unbridled Carnage (2): A CORE or CHARACTER unit with the Kultur score additional melee hits on 5s and 6s now. This adds approximately one extra hit for every two Orks, so the size of the unit compared to the quality of the weapon dictates a lot of whether it's worth it.

Snakebites - Mystic Chanting: You can attempt to Deny a psychic power by refusing to believe an enemy PSYKER can do magic.

Spoiler: Warlord Traits
    Show
    Nonspecific Traits
    1. <CLAN> units that charge the same enemy that your Warlord does gain +1 to charge if the Boss already made it in.
    2. Auras are +3". Notably NOT the Kustom Force Field.
    3. Your Warlord has -1 to be wounded. Anti-armor weapons will frequently only wound on 4s.
    4. Any of your melee attacks that didn't cause your enemy to actually lose wounds get to be tried again. Make 'em save against it all twice.
    If this model has a weapon or trait that generates additional hits, additional wounds, or Mortal Wounds, be extra careful. Additional hits are covered in the rules Errata as being considered separate from the initial attack's rules. Presumably dealing extra wounds would be treated the same if its wording were functionally the same. However, if the effect is "in addition to any normal damage" (such as with the Mortal Wounds from Headwoppa's Killchoppa, that damage seems to be tied to that Attack, and thus cannot generate a new attack even if the target makes its save against the normal damage for that attack.

Basically, a Goff Warboss with the Killchoppa Relic takes some careful dicing. Don't rush, and be methodical.

Ok, they changed this too, but to make it better. If the first activation of the model generates extra attacks with the Goff Kultur, those attacks are allowed to be rerolled if they fail to cause damage. During that time, though, they cannot generate EXTRA-extra attacks, which is totally reasonable and consistent. Goffs are really good, you guys.
    5. Always Fights First
    6. Gain +1 Strength and +1 Attack.

Beast Snagga Traits
    1. Gain +2 Attacks and +1 to wound vs MONSTER or VEHICLE units in melee. Technically the bonus attacks apply even if no attacks are directed at the Big 'Uns, as long as they're in Engagement Range.
    2. SQUIG units within 6" gain +1 damage on their various bite attacks.
    3. Gain 4+ Ignore Wounds while Engaged with MONSTER or CHARACTER units.

Speed Freek Traits
    1. Deal 1d3 MW on a 2+ when you charge.
    2. Fall Back and shoot.
    3. Gain a 4+ Invul.

Bad Moons: Gain a 4++ and +1 to armor saves.

Blood Axes: Redeploy up to 3 units before the first turn, including putting any units directly into Strategic Reserves without spending CPs.

Deathskulls: Ignore Look Out, Sir for a CHARACTER within 12". Also, if an enemy VEHICLE is destroyed within 6", gain 1CP.

Evil Sunz: In your Command Phase, pick a CORE unit. They can charge after Advancing or Falling Back this turn.

Freebooterz: Enemies within 3" have -1 Ld and -1 on Attrition tests. FREEBOOTERZ within 6" have +1 Ld.

Goffs: Gain +1 Attack, and a bonus -1AP on all melee attacks.

Snakebites: Get back up with 1d3 Wounds on a 4+ at the end of the phase the first time you would be destroyed. You can't use this Trait if you used any rules that triggered when a model is destroyed, namely the Orks Is Never Beaten strat.

Spoiler: Shiny Gubbinz (Relics)
    Show
    Beasthide Mantle: A BEAST SNAGGA model gains +1 Attack and 5+ Ignore Wounds.

Da Ded Shiny Shoota: Replace a Kustom Shoota with a Dakka 14/10 weapon that hits like a Heavy Bolter.

Da Killa Klaw: A stronger Power Klaw with no penalty to hit. Always good.

Da Krushin' Armor: A [b]MEGA ARMOR model gain +1 to armor saves, a 4++, and deals 1d3 MW on a 2+ when they charge.

Headwoppa's Killchoppa: Upgrade a Big Choppa, Beastchoppa, or 'Uge Choppa to a better, similar weapon that deals an additional 1 MW on natural 6s to wound.

Scorched Gitbonez: A PSYKER or PSYKER VEHICLE gains +1 to manifest Witchfire powers and 4+ Ignore Wounds vs Perils of the Warp.

Supa-Cybork Body: An INFANTRY model gains a 4++ and each attack allocated to this model deals half damage.
    Edit: JNAProductions suggested you'd probably round up, and having thus-far been unable to find any ruling on the subject, I'm inclined to agree. My original confusion came from the idea of rounding down, but that was my D&D brain seeping in.

<Clan> Specific Relics
    These Relics can only be taken if your Warlord is of the right <CLAN> (though they need not be taken BY your Warlord, and can be given to any valid character). This is mostly relevant if you're taking Thraka, who blocks all non-Goff <CLAN> Relics, or all <CLAN> Relics if you're not playing Goffs at all.

Bad Moons - Da Gobshot Thunderbuss: Replace a kustom shoota with a twin skorcha.

Blood Axes - Morgog's Finkin' Cap: Gain 1CP at the start of each of your Command Phases on a 4+. Put it on a VEHICLE if you want.

Deathskulls - Da Fixer Upperz: Whenever this MEK or BIG MEK unit tries to heal a VEHICLE, on a 2+ they restore an additional wound AND an enemy VEHICLE within 12" takes 1d3 MW.

Evil Sunz: Gain +2" Movement, and enemies in combat with this model Always Fight Last. You can put this on a VEHICLE.

Freebooterz: Enemies within 6" of this model LOSE Objective Secured. Combo with the Clan Strategy to steal any Objective you want. You can put this on a VEHICLE.

Goffs: After this model makes melee attacks, deal another 1d3 MW to a unit within 1" on a 2+. Probably not worth it when you could just get a more impactful fighty Relic.

Snakebites: A 1/battle super-grenade. Pass.

Spoiler: Secondary Objectives
    Show

If all of your models are ORKS or UNALIGNED, and your Warlord has the ORKS keyword, you can take one of the following when you're choosing Secondary Objectives.

This is probably true of a lot of Secondaries in general, but my feeling is that if you intend to use of the Orks Secondaries, you'll need to build your list with that in mind from the beginning. If you don't have enough mobility, or a sufficiently killy Warlord, or enough bodies, you just won't be completing any of these to a satisfactory degree. None of these are really the kind of goals you give yourself at table time.

Stomp 'Em Good (No Mercy)
    Progressive: Score 3vp at the end of the battle round if you destroyed more units in melee than your opponent did. Don't count Gretchin who get wiped out, cuz dat's just a big ole larf. Score an extra 1vp at the same time if you destroyed double or more in melee (minimum 2).

This can earn you the same points as Attrition for essentially the same goal, but you get to play directly to one of the ORKS strengths; that is, running up the field and charging your opponent's entire army. Because any units destroyed by a shooting attack don't count, this Objective is much better than Attrition against shooty armies, because they don't have any good ways to stop you from scoring. Whittle them down with your shooting, mop up the stragglers with charges, and you'll never not gain 4vp/round. Obviously, if you're also all-shooty, this will be more difficult, but even the non-choppiest ORK units have 2 S4 attacks per model, so they can still put out some solid hurt.

If you want to be a real pain, bring Killa Kanz. They are decent at melee, but don't count if your opponent kills them back.

Get Da Good Bitz (Shadow Ops)
    Progressive: After deployment, alternate picking up to 3 Objectives in neutral territory to be the Good Bitz (if you can't pick 3, pick all of them). ORKS CORE units can take an Action (end of Movement to next Command Phase) to dig up 3vp from around a Good Bitz Objective that was uncontested when they started. Each unit that starts this Action must be within range of a different Objective, so no doubling up, even just for insurance against getting shot in the face.

You could probably compare this best to Investigate Sites, except that you can potentially do it multiple times in a turn, and you have some more control over how much cover your unit will be in while trying to dig (assuming you're using player placed Objectives). You can very easily get in a position to grab two of these starting from Turn 1 without sacrificing much effectiveness, either by having a few Grots play in the dirt, or moving up a spare squad of Boyz that were planning on waiting until Turn 2 to charge anyways.

Da Biggest and Da Best (Purge)
    Progressive: Score 3vp at the end of the battle round if your Warlord did one of the following, or 5vp for any two:
    Destroy a VEHICLE or MONSTER in melee.
    Destroy a CHARACTER in melee.
    Destroy 5 or more models by any means.

Your Warlord has to do all the heavy lifting on this one. Thankfully, ORKS CHARACTERS are pretty dang strong...but these goals suck. If will be a rare treat when most Ork Warlords destroys ANY models with shooting attacks, and even the shootiest among them might struggle to get 5 kills on anything tougher than a Guardsman. In order to pull this off solely in melee (which TWO of the possible goals demand for the finishing blows), you'd have to either multi-charge or consolidate into a fight with an applicable unit, and I feel like that's generally not going to work out. If you're going at the top of the round, you charge an enemy tank and rip it apart, and then consolidate into the Lieutenant behind it. Then, on your opponent's turn, the Lieutenant walks away from your Warlord, and your guy gets shot to death, because why wouldn't they do that if they could? It denies you the chance for points, and it doesn't play to your strengths. Things are generally worse if you have your go at the bottom of the turn, as any combats that even roll over into your opponent's turn will be getting counted for a separate tally, and could mess up an otherwise perfectly good plan.

It's not the worst, but you have to build an absolute murder-machine of a hero to really give it the best go, and then still get lucky on enemy Invulnerables and the like. And not let your Warlord die, or the VP train stops cold. Scoring 3vp/round from Turn 2 onward is probably doable with most tooled up Warlords. Getting 5vp will be very difficult if your opponent doesn't play right into your klaws, and I wouldn't take this one assuming I'd ever get it. Still, it might be better than the other Purge the Enemy Objectives if your opponent doesn't really have enough VEHICLES/MONSTERS or CHARACTERS to make the usual suspects worth your time.

Green Tide (Supremacy)
    Progressive: Score 3vp at the end of the battle round if two or more table quarters each have a single unit with 11+ models wholly within them. Score 5vp instead if all four quarters do. No partial-credit for getting into three quarters, it's 4 or 2 or nothing.

Yeesh. With the existence of Blast weapons, 11+ model units are a lot more vulnerable than just bringing a bunch of 5s and 10s, but if anyone can get away with it, it would be Toughness 5 Orks. Clump your Boyz into 15-20 packs, buy a Kustom Force Field, and hope you can keep enough models on board through the first two turns for your Stormboyz to drop down into the enemy quarters and start racking up the points. As a reminder, it's individual units with 11+ models, not 11+ models total, so if your opponent is ded kunnin', they'll spread out their anti-infantry firepower to bring multiple units to 10 or fewer models instead of wiping out the stragglers, to deny you the points. Once you run out of eligible units, you can't possibly score more points off of it, and it's difficult to get enough models across the board early now that Bikerz are limited to 9 models.

Though if you just run like 80 Stormboyz, you could start with a bunch on the table, and just Advance 18" up. That'll cross the center line with the whole unit, and you can start scoring that way from Turn 1, assuming they're not shot to pieces (and they will be). But it'll work for a little while, anyways.

And you are definitely giving your opponent carte blanche to run Thin Their Ranks against you.

Well, that took forever. As you may have noticed, I tried to borrow Cheesegear's formatting style, and it's quite the pain in the neck to get it right. Looks pretty good when it's all done and posted, but boy howdy do those bracketed commands take forever to put in and double-check. Hope I didn't muck up any of the formatting. (If you see an error, please let me know so I can fix it.)

Commentary and critique welcome. I'll deal with the psychic powers when I do the psykers (there's only two-and-a-half of them)
    Last edited by Hootman; 2021-09-20 at 11:33 AM.

28. - Top - End - #988
    Colossus in the Playground

Supa-Cybork: I'd assume that, unless stated otherwise, you'd round as per real math.

So you'd round up, since .5 rounds up.
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Linkele
    Show

Spoiler: Individual Avatar Pics
    Show

29. - Top - End - #989
    Titan in the Playground

All Orks are now T5... Dear lord the powercreep is real.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #990
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Manticore's stock is rising. Might have to start running my Russ Demolisher again too.
    "Courage is the complement of fear. A fearless man cannot be courageous. He is also a fool." -- Robert Heinlein