Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Default [WW/Mafia] Stranger Things Mafia

In the town of Hawkins, Indiana, not all is as it seems. With federal agents on the move and monsters from another world, can a group of townspeople figure out who among them are working for nefarious ends?

This is recruitment for a game of mafia/werewolf, with flavor and roles inspired by the Netflix series Stranger Things. Never heard of mafia or have general questions? Check out Mafia Capital here: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...-OPENING-POSTS, or feel free to ask any questions in this thread or via PM. New players are very welcome!

Spoiler: Basic Mechanics
    Show
    Mafia, AKA Werewolf, is a game in which members of an uninformed minority, known as the Town (in this game townspeople of Hawkins), who don't know anyone else's alignment but their own, try to find members of an informed minority, called the Mafia (who in this game will either be US Agents or Monsters from the Upside Down), who know who is one of them and who isn't. The game starts at "Day", and players vote for who they think - or are pretending to think - is a member of the Mafia. Whoever gets the most votes is eliminated at the end of the Day. After each Day is one Night, in which people activate abilities that they may have access to, and the Mafia can choose one person between them to eliminate. The game ends when only one faction remains, or nothing can prevent this from happening.

Stolen from Unavenger, thanks!

Spoiler: Game Specific Rules
    Show
    • Days and Nights will be 48 hours each. It is likely d1 will be Monday, April 12. The first EOD will be Wednesday, April 14th at 6 PM EST as long as the game begins before 6 PM Monday. No "hammer" votes or other mechanics will end the day early. You may talk in the game thread at any time.
    • You may vote for No Elimination or No Vote as per voting for a player (in Red). The former is a vote for no-one to be killed by the elimination, the latter is an abstention.
    • In the case of a tie at X votes on a player (or no elimination), the option that has at at least X votes for the longest contiguous time before EOD will be eliminated. (i.e. two players have 4 votes each, the first one to have at least four votes on them will be killed).
    • If daytime actions exist, follow the instructions on your role PM on how to activate them. While you are welcome to claim to possess whatever actions you want, please do not fake mechanical reveals (such as posting Reveal: Innocent Child) if you do not possess the ability to do so.
    • Actions will have an order of operations to their processing generally aligning with NAR.
    • There will be NO individually created quicktopics this game. Do not PM or create quicktopics with other players unless given one through narrator action. However, there may be abilities that give access to or create private chats.
    • Any factional nightkill will be carried and therefore is able to be tracked or voided (roleblocked) barring other mechanics.

Spoiler: Set-Up and Roles
    Show

Stranger Things Mafia will be a CLOSED set up, which means that roles will not be known at the start of the game. However, there are a number of things I will announce now regarding the set-up, with the potential for more at the time the game starts.

• Each player will be given the name of either a citizen of Hawkins, a US agent, or a Monster (see alignment information below). However, do not expect to win by flavor claiming. Both the Mafia and Serial Killer teams will be given access to lists of fake flavor and role claims. Which characters serve as player roles or fake claims will be randomized. There may be additional repercussions to claiming flavor through the use of anti-claim roles or mechanics.
    • The alignments present in the game will vary by number of players. If there are eleven or fewer, the game will consist of TOWN (Townspeople) versus MAFIA (US Agents). If there are twelve or more, there will additionally be a SERIAL KILLER (Monster from the Upside Down). If there are 18 or more, the Serial Killer team will consist of two players.
    • There will be no alignment changes (this means no cult-like mechanics) or unannounced or changing win conditions. There may, however, be lost wolf or recluse style roles.
    • At no point will I, the narrator, lie to you. There will be no Godfathers, full Janitors, or Tailors. There may be partial redactions of role PMs, investigations, or flips, but alignments will always reveal when a character dies.
    • A number of other roles will also not exist. There will be nothing that messes with day/night cycle, no role that survives the daily elimination, no role to return players from the dead or interact with deadchat (however, death may function differently for some players), and no role that prevents players from posting in the main thread. There are likely other roles crazier than those here that will also not be included, but I will not list all of them.
    • Roles that have a limited numbers of uses will be present.
    • If a player has access to multiple actions, their role PM will dictate if they can use each or have to choose one. A player carrying a factional nightkill can always use their other actions as well.

Recruitment is Open! Feel free to ask any questions:

Players:

1. AlephNull
    2. AvatarVecna
    3. Batcathat
    4. Book Wombat
    5. CaoimhinTheCape
    6. JeenLeen
    7. totadileplayz
    8. ...
    Last edited by Apogee1; 2021-03-31 at 06:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [WW/Mafia] Stranger Things Mafia

Yeah I'm in. Oh yeah and everybody make sure to vote me D1, you know you want to.

Currently Recruiting WW/Mafia: Nothing currently. Maybe come start one?

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

I'm in. Here's hoping for the nigh-impossible 18 players to get two real teams to fight the Town.

Question about "Narrator will not lie": will there potentially be Fool Seers or abilities that make an info-gathering power get incorrect results?
    I think I'm just too tired to read clearly, but by "get the name of a..." thing, does that mean we'll each know one active Role beyond our own, and what faction it belongs to? E.g., I might get told "the Seer is a Town role" or "the Armed Agent is a Agent role", or something like that.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I'm in. Here's hoping for the nigh-impossible 18 players to get two real teams to fight the Town.

Question about "Narrator will not lie": will there potentially be Fool Seers or abilities that make an info-gathering power get incorrect results?
    I think I'm just too tired to read clearly, but by "get the name of a..." thing, does that mean we'll each know one active Role beyond our own, and what faction it belongs to? E.g., I might get told "the Seer is a Town role" or "the Armed Agent is a Agent role", or something like that.
    There will not be fool seers or info gathering powers that get incorrect results. There may, but are not guaranteed to be, be mechanics that lead info gathering powers to obtain no or incomplete results (i.e. ninja modifiers meaning a role cannot be tracked, roles that return "No result" if seer checked, things in that vein.)

The "given a name" just refers to everyone's role having particular character flavor -- like having the role name "Han Solo" and being a town vig or something in a star wars game. Mechanics that tell you other roles existing may be present but aren't guaranteed.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Blep

I guess I've gotten hooked on this huh?
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

I will join too.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Halfling in the Playground

Planetar

I'll join and I'll vote for AV.

8. - Top - End - #8

I'm in too! Who knows, this might be the first game where I start as Mafia.
    Last edited by Book Wombat; 2021-03-30 at 04:40 PM.
    Rule Number One: Do not steal cookies.

Discord: Bookwhyrm#4020, feel free to DM.

Book Wombat's Extended Signature

Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    Spoiler
    Show
    -. --- - / -- ..- -.-. .... / .... . .-. .

9. - Top - End - #9
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    I'll join and I'll vote for AV.
    This is the way.

10. - Top - End - #10

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by AvatarVecna View Post
    This is the way.
    Really I dont hold contempt for you or hatred. I hate myself for playing a play I shouldn't have played. You just asked for people to vote you, and as a rule I vote for people who do. Especially if its before the game even starts.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by totadileplayz View Post
    Really I dont hold contempt for you or hatred. I hate myself for playing a play I shouldn't have played. You just asked for people to vote you, and as a rule I vote for people who do. Especially if its before the game even starts.
    Better get used to it. I make a habit to self-vote in just about every game.

12. - Top - End - #12

Planetar

Better get used to it. I make a habit to self-vote in just about every game.
    So long as you vote for yourself I'm voting for you too.

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

When/if AV and totaldileplayz turn up as wolves on the same team, it will be nigh impossible to distinguish between wolf distancing and town banter (bicker?).
    Troubling... makes me want to vote totaldileplayz for when he votes AV, and then ALL of us are useless D1

14. - Top - End - #14
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    When/if AV and totaldileplayz turn up as wolves on the same team, it will be nigh impossible to distinguish between wolf distancing and town banter (bicker?).
    Troubling... makes me want to vote totaldileplayz for when he votes AV, and then ALL of us are useless D1
    The game hasn't even started and I'm already controlling the meta.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

The game hasn't even started and I'm already controlling the meta.
    Windu: The meta will decide your fate.
    AV: I AM the meta!
    There are 1d20 types of people in the world: people that always roll natural 1 when it matters.

16. - Top - End - #16

I keep thinking I want to try one of these games, but I never do. I should probably do something about that. I'm in, with a preemptive warning for high probability of stupid questions.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Batcathat View Post
    I keep thinking I want to try one of these games, but I never do. I should probably do something about that. I'm in, with a preemptive warning for high probability of stupid questions.
    Welcome! No questions are stupid, feel free to ask me or the other players anything that comes to mind.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Two days before I close this up. Would love to get a few more people!

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Locking recruitment up now, expect role PMs over the next hour or so. You will be able to start posting as soon as the thread is approved, and the first EOD should be Wednesday at 6 PM Eastern time.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Titan in the Playground