New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Your most memorable Dragon (or other big boss) ?

On topic: Draconis from Baldurs Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal. For some reason I found this dragon not only to be the hardest dragon fight in Baldurs Gate, but also the hardest fight period.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    [good stuff]
    While I enjoyed reading this post overall, the highlight for me was where tarrasque comes from.
    My one and only handbook: My Totemist Handbook
    My one and only homebrew: Book of Flux
    Spoiler
    Show
    A comment on tiers, by Prime32
    Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    As a DM, I deal with character death by cheering and giving a fist pump, or maybe a V-for-victory sign. I would also pat myself on the back, but I can't really reach around like that.
      /l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノ

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Overly Sarcastic Productions: The Tarrasque
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Say what you want about how weak sauce the game depict dragons.

You will always remember the first time Skyrim had you face a dragon at the ruined watchtower. You were probably under leveled, full of naivety about Skyrim as a whole.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

For me it'd have to be merciful winged death, all powerful and merciless Grigori from dragons dogma, plus the Ur-dragon optional boss. Although I think Grigori fights more like a Dragon should having more air time. It helps that Grigori gets more screentime as well showing off his intelligence and strength.
    The Hydra fights in that game are fun as well, we really do need more Hydra fights in games that take advantage of the respawning head ability.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Pixie in the Playground

The most memoriable dragon for me is Fafnir from GOW :)

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Man_Over_Game View Post
    In Dragon's Dogma, there was this supermassive undead dragon thing you fought in this underground dimensional whatever.

Anyway, the thing was like the quarter of a football field, and it had these warts on it that you had to destroy all over its body. After you did some damage to it, it'd fly off.

Well, Dragon's Dogma is weirdly both online and solo, and so the Dragon flew off to go fight someone else who happened to be online at that time, carrying over your damage. Essentially we were all fighting the same raid boss at different times.
    I can't believe someone brought up DD but *didn't* bring up Grigori! Grigori (the main dragon boss of the game) Is probably one of my favorite depictions of a dragon in modern media. Intelligent, brutal, huge, and eloquent. A titan of a dragon that would laugh at Alduin and those like him for calling themselves "dragons"

Edit: Shout out to Spacewolf for understanding the glory of the MIGHTY GRIGORI
    Last edited by Nemenia; 2021-06-10 at 11:20 AM.

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by InvisibleBison View Post
    No there aren't. "Dragon" isn't a word with a fixed definition; in a given fictional universe, it means whatever the creator(s) of that universe use it to mean. Any attempt to impose a consistent taxonomy on fictional creatures is an exercise in futility.
    Dragons in particular. But real talk: there's really no reason to come out of the gate swinging against somebody who called them wyverns. We're in a dragon thread. It felt pretty clear that they were just mentioning the slightly different body plan in passing while still acknowledging them as dragons.

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    On topic: Draconis from Baldurs Gate 2 Throne of Bhaal. For some reason I found this dragon not only to be the hardest dragon fight in Baldurs Gate, but also the hardest fight period.
    Man, Draconis SUCKS. He is ALWAYS responsible for the most reloads of any fight for me, every playthrough I do. That Brown Dragon Breath, man. Devastating.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Spamalot in the Playground

Most memorable dragon boss for me was Flemeth from Dragon Age Origins. I wasn't using a walkthrough my first playthrough, so challenging a geriatric witch and suddenly being faced with a High Dragon completely stunned me.

Most memorable big boss in general would be Jubileus from Bayonetta.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Plague Doctor by Crimmy
    Ext. Sig (Handbooks/Creations)

10. - Top - End - #40
    Pixie in the Playground

World of Warcraft Onyxia

11. - Top - End - #41
    Barbarian in the Playground

Dragons? Thinking on it none really stand out from the rest. Perhaps Aulduin as the biggest letdown ever; just a mass of damage and health. No tactics at all apart from typical anti dragon stuff...

Other "big" boss? Sephiroth from Kingdom Hearts 2. I didn't even know he was in it this time but i heard a rumor on the web and tracked him down. killed me in 2 hits. Previously the game had been such a cakewalk that beyond basic controls i never really needed to learn to fight or even grind.

Twelve game hours later i was dueling him up in the air in the 70s. I think i beat him at 82... or was it 78? Ikc... he was fun and in the sweet spot of challenge that wasn't frustrating nor a simple grind.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Ralas the black dragon from a printed adventure in 2e AD&D Draconomicon.
    My players screwed the adventure up, so he ended up chasing off one half of the party and charming the other half.
    The two charmed players were then sent to be his secret agents in civilization, but roleplayed their idiocy to the hilt. They thought their new boss was so awesome they created a fan club, spent their money on producing Ralas memorabilia (mugs, cloaks, etc.), and attempted to enlist notable NPC's to the cause, swiftly ending the plot and getting themselves de-charmed. Smartest use of dumb I ever saw.
    -
    What is dead may never die, but rises again, harder, stronger, in a later edition.
    -

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

There're several memorable dragons for me.

The dragon from Dragon Age Origins that protects the ashes of Andraste stands out for being an absolute pain the ass my first time. Turns out you *can* kite a dragon!

The time my mage solo'd Fiirkraag in Baldur's Gate 2 was really cool. Got him with Color-Spray.

Volvagia from Ocarina of Time stands out as my first encounter with a dragon in video-games. Very different beast from the typical Ye Olde Medieval Smaug-likes I was used to reading about in books.

Honorable Side-Note: Smaug from the Hobbit remains my favorite dragon of all time. It was the first real fantasy book I ever read and left a powerful image in my young mind. To this day Bilbo's parlay with Smaug is one of the best written moments in fantasy for me.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Kobold

Quote Originally Posted by Hagashager View Post
    Smaug from the Hobbit remains my favorite dragon of all time. It was the first real fantasy book I ever read and left a powerful image in my young mind. To this day Bilbo's parlay with Smaug is one of the best written moments in fantasy for me.
    Conversely, Smaug from the movie stands out as one of the most disappointing monsters in cinematic history. I fear Peter Jackson may have ruined that book for my children's generation.
    "None of us likes to be hated, none of us likes to be shunned. A natural result of these conditions is, that we consciously or unconsciously pay more attention to tuning our opinions to our neighbor’s pitch and preserving his approval than we do to examining the opinions searchingly and seeing to it that they are right and sound." - Mark Twain

15. - Top - End - #45
    Dwarf in the Playground

OldWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by veti View Post
    Conversely, Smaug from the movie stands out as one of the most disappointing monsters in cinematic history. I fear Peter Jackson may have ruined that book for my children's generation.
    Yes, well the was series was awful from start to finish. By the time Smaug showed up and the golden fire-chase commenced I was already so miffed about the video-game esque river-rapids scene that I'd given up on any expectations.
    Of Course Smaug was a dissapointment, of course Legolas would jump on stairs as they were falling, of course a forced romance between an elf and dwarf would be written in.
    There was also something about animal abuse too which put me off on the series before going to it if I'm being honest.
    Last edited by Hagashager; 2021-08-17 at 12:00 PM.