Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Default Dnd 5th edition - Eberron

For DnD, Eberron remains one of my favourite settings due to how rich it is for detail and all the possible things players can get up to. With all that in mind I'd be really keen to take part in a game if someone has an idea in mind for it. The character I'd like to run with would be a Gnoll built from the Exploring Eberron book, but I'm quite happy to change that if preferred. :)
    Last edited by Donan; 2021-04-08 at 12:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Default Re: Dnd 5th edition - Eberron - Seeking game

Interested as a player, but not a GM. My familiarity with the setting is based on the 3.5 books, so not sure what changed through the editions.

Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do.

He who laughs last doesn't get the joke.

Spoiler: Stuff I Wrote
    Show
    Elite Races

Goliaths [Part One, Part Two]
    Axiomite
    Nephilim

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

That's certainly fair. :)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Barbarian in the Playground

I'd love to join as a player. Have an idea for a multiclass hexblade/swarmkeeper ranger- pretty much a reskin for a half daelkyr bounty hunter. With a bladed gauntlet(damage of a dagger) and the swarm and invocations to represent symbiotic gear he grows himself.
    “You know, sometimes I swear the whole universe runs on irony.”
    ― Simon R. Green, The Man With the Golden Torc

“Afraid? I can dodge folly without backing into fear.”
    ― Rex Stout, The Doorbell Rang

“The subtlest lie of all is the full truth.”
    ― Michael Moorcock, The Bane of the Black Sword

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground

Player here too, love Eberron the VERY most

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I could see this having a possible Droaam inspiration maybe? Depending on what appeals to everyone, and what a prospective DM would have in mind. :)

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Hopefully we can get a DM to bite

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

8. - Top - End - #8
    Halfling in the Playground

Interested as a player.
    DMing:
    - Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final): IC | OOC
    - Slums, Sewers & Dark, Dank Dungeons: IC | OOC

9. - Top - End - #9

DruidGuy

Biting as a DM potentially. Can’t do live games though.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

That'd be okay with me, I was hoping for play by post. :) Lining up live games is often a challenge due to timezones as well.

11. - Top - End - #11

DruidGuy

Here are the big sixteen! Dig in! enjoy!
    Spoiler: BIG SIXTEEN
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    D&D 5E, as per the players' request.

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Eberron, as per the players' request; putting my own spin on it, though,

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    I'm willing to admit anywhere from four to nine players, thoguh on the tail end they may get split up; alternates are free to sign on, as I know all too well how a game can die.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    Play-by-post, as per the players' request. Bear in mind I am not a master of prose, and hence I don't mind concise entires (just try to consolidate them if you can).

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Owing to a player's multiclass request, we will be starting at fourth level. tentatively set your xp to 3600.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    Take your starting wealth, quarter it (round up), and multiply by your level + three. In addition you will each get one custom item which will, so to speak, level up with you. No, I don't know the rules for these yet; you will have to design them.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    I am of the mind that fifth edition, like any game system, is a weird and wonderful place and so deserves to be dived into head-on. Plane Shift, Unearthed Arcana, Official Material are all allowed, and perhaps even encouraged. Feel free to homebrew or convert prestige classes, but they will need approval, and must be restricted to ten levels at most. Homebrew classes I'm more wary of, and would like to follow the same restriction; this is only for the purposes of calculating balance.
    That having been said, if your character option comes from a non-Eberron supplement or is not covered flavor-text-wise for Eberron, you are assumed to not be of this world. A mage, or god, or dragon, or giant plane shifted you over here, and you've been here for a few days at most. If that is the case, you ought to buddy up with a different player character, for convenience's sake.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Any and all. Follow the advice given above for classes, particularly the latter paragraph. I will look over homebrew options that you send in.
    I don't know what the hell 'prestige' races mean; they're not a part of this game.

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    To be figured out later. I personally favor rolling d5's for ability scores; hit points you should roll for and then move one point closer to average, with the exception of first level.
    EDIT: Roll 6d5b4 six times, twice. take either set or go for a twenty-nine point buy.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    I will not be utilizing alignment for player characters unless a player clamor convinces me otherwise. Actions will be judged by your own, pre-written, code of conduct; how do you think this character acts and feels? What are their contradictions? Their values? Try to tie it to an element of your backstory, if possible (see below).

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    Yeah, multi-classing is allowed, with a few custom rules.
    Item zero - three classes max; prestiges count towards this total. This will be expanded upon in item two.
    First of all, the second level of any multi-class nets you a free feat, assuming you meet the prerequisites. It ought to be thematic.
    Second of all, I'm going to be following a system roughly similar to third edition's xp penalty. Any class you enter, you ought to plan on sticking with for at least six levels (with the exception of prestige classes: four). Otherwise, you advance slower. If people tell me this rule is too restrictive or unfair, I will drop it, and gladly. Same for any other houserule that I bring into this game. Your job is to have fun; my job is to sigh at all the plot hooks you pass up.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Always roll in the out-of-character thread or, perhaps, in a different thread set aside for that purpose, if the mods will it. Report these rolls in the footer of your in-character.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.
    I may be bringing in one rule from fourth edition, subject to player approval: that of the four defences. Effects resisted by saves would instead target a non-armor-class defence, and save-ends effects would run on a 10-or-higher standard. Armor class or Reflex would now focus on DEX-INT (effects modifying armor class woulf be handled on a case-by-case basis), Fortitude, Strength and Constitution, and Will, Wisdom and Charisma. Concentration would once more be a check.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Not in-depth. I want two friends, two enemies, and five rumors, a collection of true and false. Feel free to give more so long as it can be distilled down to those basic components.
    And yeah, you guys are all starting in a catacomb in the center of the Mournlands, rumored to be a haven for survivors. Tell me how you got there!

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    These all have their place in my game; I prefer to focus on character moments rather than hack and slash though. If you're a combat-focused build, you can spar in your downtime, or come up with you're own hobbies. I'm inclined to give out the proficiencies for free!

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    I will alow any and all books, but I would prefer to restrict it to Basic Rules, Exploring Eberron, and Rising from the Last War, plus whatever everyone else has. If we all have the same sources it's less of a hassle.

Dig in! enjoy!
    Last edited by LemursGalore; 2021-04-08 at 01:22 PM.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

By all means, please do. :)

13. - Top - End - #13

DwarfFighterGuy

If there is still room I would love to join an Eberron game as well. =)

14. - Top - End - #14
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LemursGalore View Post
    Should I big sixteen then?
    You should indeed. :)
    I have a LOT of Homebrew!

Spoiler: Former Avatars
    Show
    Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Professor Gnoll!
    Show

Spoiler: Avatar (Not In Use) By Cdr. Fallout!
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15

DruidGuy

Default Re: Dnd 5th edition - Eberron

Big sixteen are now up. Were they too brusque?
    EDIT: Updated the Big Sixteen re ability scores, though I may drop the point-buy as an option. Any comments re the saves-defences dichotomy?
    Last edited by LemursGalore; 2021-04-08 at 01:26 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Troll in the Playground

Not at all.

Dibs on a Warforged Monk using the Way of the Living Weapon from Exploring Eberron. With some possible tweaks to the Monk class to help bring it up closer to the other martials in power level.
    Last edited by Rokku; 2021-04-08 at 12:44 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

All good via me! One question as regards background. As we're in the Mournlands, is it set to 998 YK, with it being 4 years after the war's end and the destruction of Cyre?

I will start on my Gnoll background thoughts, currently debating what class to run with.

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

After a VERY long hiatus, I would like to declare interest as a player. Is there a deadline for submissions and/or selection?

EDIT: And perhaps a decision on how to create stats? 4d6 drop lowest or points?

Thank you!

19. - Top - End - #19

Spoiler: Stat Rolls
    Show
    (6d5b4)[18]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[14]
    (6d5b4)[7]
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[14]

(6d5b4)[14]
    (6d5b4)[8]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[15]
    (6d5b4)[15]

I'm gonna speak against the mutliclass rules. Slowing progression means uneven levels, uneven levels makes it harder on you and us.

Also, homebrew request for Space. I dunno why I like this race for Eberron-but I do. Something about the magitech makes it feel right to me.

Show
    Show

Show

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler: Stat rolls
    Show

(6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[6]
    (6d5b4)[18]
    (6d5b4)[15]

(6d5b4)[14]
    (6d5b4)[10]
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[10]
    (6d5b4)[14]

I'll follow up with my sheet and background.
    Last edited by Donan; 2021-04-08 at 01:57 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

Rolls!
    Spoiler: Rolling roiling rolling
    Show

First set
    (6d5b4)[18]
    (6d5b4)[19]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[18]
    (6d5b4)[18]

Second set
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[15]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[15]

EDIT: Holy mother of Gygax! I will use the first set, but tone it down quite a bit. Playing Superman is weird.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Toryc Vult, Znir Hwyri

Friends:

Dhyrn Vult, Znir: Mate of five years, is currently in Droaam with the majority of the clan.
    Cord Devir: Old contact and drinking friend, a Cyre Human who narrowly survived the Mourning. Has recently learned his brother Roga may still be alive.

Enemies:

Sa'hassan: A Worg and member of the Dark Pack. He and Toryc have clashed a number of times in Droaam, largely due to the fact that he's shown disturbing signs of being under fiendish influence from time to time.
    Ruzoug Barrelfoot: A Dwarf and member of the Silver Flame. Like Toyrc he often hunts supernatural threats, but sees a Gnoll as an untrustworthy sort to battle evil, at the best of times.

Rumours:

That big Gnoll's the first of a new breed. Got a Dragonmark on them, and not one of the proper ones. Only a matter of time till those hags gave them their own. (Patently false, Toyrc has no Dragonmark, but does collect a ritual tattoo following the kill of a major enemy.)
    Don't know why, but it's always got that axe with it, no matter what's happening. Gotta figure out why. (True. Toyrc carries a myrnaxe)
    It's here hunting one of us. Don't let it catch you alone. (False, sort of. They're looking for Cord's brother and have come to the Mournlands under contract to find him)
    Wretched Droaam's too far off. Thing's either a Changeling or something from the Mournland hunting a meal. (False)
    Hear it's working for Thraskk. Watch yourself around those Dragonmarked Houses (False, though they have carried out contracts for House Thraskk in the past)

Background:

Born to the Vult clan in 978 YK, Toyrc has lived through both the creation of Droaam as a nation and has witnessed the Last War, both from a distance and up close as a mercenary from time to time. Not being one of those hired for an extended retainer by the Daughters offered them more freedom, and allowed them to train as a Hwyri and to fight fiends and other supernatural threats that troubled the Znir Pact and their neighbours.

The creation of Droaam and the Daughters seizing power made the region somewhat more stable and while it didn't remove the need for the Hwyri it did offer more freedom and led to Toyrc taking more contracts outside Droaam from 990 YK onwards, which is how they came into contact with Cord Devir who hired them a number of times during the war in support of Cyre. This state of affairs lasted until 994 YK and the Mourning. At the time he and Cord were near the border and when the cataclysm took place, Cord tried to run further into Cyre, given most of his family was there. In response Toyrc knocked him out and carried him out before the mists reached them, an action the man still hasn't fully forgiven them for.

It's possibly for that reason that Cord still bears resentment, even if he has to conclude he wouldn't have survived otherwise. The next few years were chaotic, including the Treaty of Thronehold, and even with the war officially over, there was still a great deal work available. The most recent being a new task from Cord, who learned his brother might still be available and in a series of catacombs under what was once Cyre.
    Sheet: https://www.dndbeyond.com/profile/Do...cters/48124145
    Last edited by Donan; Today at 03:34 AM.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by ProudGrognard View Post
    Rolls!
    Spoiler: Rolling roiling rolling
    Show

First set
    (1d10+2)[8]
    (1d10+2)[4]
    (1d10+2)[9]
    [roll3]
    [roll4]
    [roll5]

Second set
    [roll6]
    [roll7]
    [roll8]
    [roll9]
    [roll10]
    [roll11]

EDIT: Holy mother of Gygax! I will use the first set, but tone it down quite a bit. Playing Superman is weird.
    I do admit to having been staring at the first set with awe.

Just need to roll HP to finish off.

(1d10+2)[8]
    (1d10+2)[4]
    (1d10+2)[9]

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

Eberron has always been interesting to me, let's see what them bones have to say ...

Spoiler: Praise be to the Polyhedral Gods!
    Show
    • (6d5b4)[15]
    • (6d5b4)[13]
    • (6d5b4)[16]
    • (6d5b4)[13]
    • (6d5b4)[17]
    • (6d5b4)[13]

• (6d5b4)[14]
    • (6d5b4)[16]
    • (6d5b4)[18]
    • (6d5b4)[17]
    • (6d5b4)[12]
    • (6d5b4)[11]

I am honestly thinking of playing a Paladin of Karrnath, devoted to a sect of the Blood of Vol. I'll have build, background and personality up sometime tomorrow.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-04-08 at 03:05 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25

DwarfFighterGuy

Dice for the Dice Gods!!!

Spoiler: rollin'...rollin'...rollin'
    Show

(6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[15]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[19]

(6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[14]
    (6d5b4)[17]

26. - Top - End - #26
    Troll in the Playground

Interesting stat mechanics, lessdodis:

(6d5b4)[15](6d5b4)[13](6d5b4)[11](6d5b4)[16](6d5b4)[11](6d5b4)[14]

(6d5b4)[15](6d5b4)[12](6d5b4)[15](6d5b4)[15](6d5b4)[18](6d5b4)[14]

27. - Top - End - #27

DruidGuy

Alright, so looks like we've got solid interest rolling here, so to speak. Donan, thanks for the early submission!
    JNAP: I can't speak as to the Space's workability, as the intangibility feature, while cool, is just plain strange. If you can send a toned-down iteration, I'd be happy to approve. As for your concerns per the multi-class-tax, I've had a lot of second thoughts and am now inclined to drop that idea, though I'd still like to have a limit of three-to-four classes and to discourage dipping without a great story-wise reason to do so. Prestige classes and haggling with the D.M. are still on the table.
    AkodoRokku, great to have you back! Any chance Darkhawk will show up elsewhere?
    To the Grognard: those are extraordinarily strong rolls. I may have to put you in a party of two. That's right, pending player approval, for reasons of balance and mystery I'd like to split the party. You will meet eventually - I have an endgame in mind - but for now, assume you've got only one to three buddies by your side.
    Prime, Slug, War-axe, Banshee, keep up the good work! Take your time, all of you, my mind leaps through too many ideas to stay sane. I'm just happy to be in the circuit again.
    Cheers,
    Lemurs Galore

28. - Top - End - #28

JNAP: I can't speak as to the Space's workability, as the intangibility feature, while cool, is just plain strange. If you can send a toned-down iteration, I'd be happy to approve. As for your concerns per the multi-class-tax, I've had a lot of second thoughts and am now inclined to drop that idea, though I'd still like to have a limit of three-to-four classes and to discourage dipping without a great story-wise reason to do so. Prestige classes and haggling with the D.M. are still on the table.
    Would you feel better if I replaced Intangibility with, say, Racial Casting?

Call it (both once per long rest, based on Int) Shield and Misty Step?

Show
    Show

Show

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Rolling stats

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Set 1
    (6d5b4)[16]
    (6d5b4)[12]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[14]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[16]

Set 2
    (6d5b4)[9]
    (6d5b4)[7]
    (6d5b4)[17]
    (6d5b4)[13]
    (6d5b4)[15]
    (6d5b4)[12]

Edit: First set it is, debating either a UA Changeling Phantom Rogue or a Shifter Spore Druid that is a Child of Winter
    Last edited by Bansheexero; 2021-04-08 at 11:00 PM.

Show
    Elite Races

Axiomite
    Nephilim

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ettin in the Playground

Alright, so looks like we've got solid interest rolling here, so to speak. Donan, thanks for the early submission!
    AkodoRokku, great to have you back! Any chance Darkhawk will show up elsewhere?
    To the Grognard: those are extraordinarily strong rolls. I may have to put you in a party of two. That's right, pending player approval, for reasons of balance and mystery I'd like to split the party. You will meet eventually - I have an endgame in mind - but for now, assume you've got only one to three buddies by your side.
    Prime, Slug, War-axe, Banshee, keep up the good work! Take your time, all of you, my mind leaps through too many ideas to stay sane. I'm just happy to be in the circuit again.
    Cheers,
    Lemurs Galore
    Thank you for explaining things. I was however thinking of toning down these rolls to something like 19, 18, 16, 16, 14, 14. They are still VERY strong rolls but not otherwordly. Would you approve of this?

I will be posting my sheet and info today.

EDIT: What is your take on rangers? Which version would you say could be used?