New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    But my absolute dream would be a show that gives us the earliest origins of the Jedi and Sith, going back 25,000 years or whenever the early Force-users began to develop their philosophies. I know virtually nothing about that period, and would love to see it explored in depth.
    Dawn of the Jedi covered this, in both comic and novel form, it was....not the highlight of the Ostrander/Durseema Star Wars combo.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Darth Bane.
    I'm with you on this. Darth Bane is hugely significant character whose influence on the actual movie era is far greater than that of essentially any other character of the distant past. Also, unlike KOTOR and certain other properties of the Old Republic timeframe the extant Darth Bane books simply aren't very good (Karpyshyn should stick to writing video games and not novels) and I don't believe they have any strong stans who would balk at a remake.

It's also a way to get the foundations of both the Jedi and Sith of the films because the Disney continuity actually resets the galaxy and all its institutions even harder in 1,000 BBY than Legends did.
    Now publishing a webnovel travelogue.

Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ogre in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

I'll take it over Rise of Skywalker, that is for damn sure.
    My sig is something witty.

78% of DM's started their first campaign in a tavern. If you're one of the 22% that didn't, copy and paste this into your signature.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Darth Bane books simply aren't very good (Karpyshyn should stick to writing video games and not novels)
    I actually quite liked the Darth Bane books.

Darth Bane specifically was an interesting character in the first of them* - they could likely make that book (timeline) a series on its own, mostly about the Sith Wars in general with Bane being a minor character and the final season would have him come into his own.

Bane and Zannah both had reasons to hate the Jedi (Zannah moreso probably).

4. - Top - End - #34
    Ogre in the Playground

Is it just me or is there a high number of shots showing only four squad members despite the kid naming five? Looks like good odds someone is going to die/turn traitor early on.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Mechalich
    …it was....not the highlight of the Ostrander/Durseema Star Wars combo.
    Sounds like an opportunity for a much improved version, if not a complete re-imagining.

I have to say, looking at the Amazon preview of Dawn of the Jedi, I’m not exactly impressed. The writing in EU novels is often…rather basic, but this is even less so.

Originally Posted by Kareeah_Indaga
    Is it just me or is there a high number of shots showing only four squad members despite the kid naming five? Looks like good odds someone is going to die/turn traitor early on.
    Some of those shots may have been recycled from the Season 7 arc, before Echo joined when there were only four members.

When the kid goes through the roster, we get an establishing shot for each of the five, all presented equally. I didn't get the sense that any of them was being set up to be a traitor.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Barbarian in the Playground

BardGuy

On one hand, I'd enjoy a series or something set during the old republic era, whether it's before revan, after, or even during the cold war of the MMO.

On the other hand, that era's gotten some good representation in games and comics that could easily get ruined by a bad series or even retcons; so I think I'll stick woth what's there.

If they're gonna stick with the same half-century as the movies: just give us mara jade back.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

A year or two ago, I've come to the decision to ignore everything made for Star Wars after 1998.
    I consider myself a hardcore Star Wars fan, but I already lost all touch with any new content coming out after Jedi Academy and Revenge of the Sith.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Spriggan's Den Heroic Fantasy Roleplaying

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Revenge of the sith came way after 1998...

9. - Top - End - #39
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Also KOTOR is nearly universally acclaimed.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

10. - Top - End - #40
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I think the KOTOR Era makes a lot of sense as a next destination for Star Wars animation. For live action purposes there's a lot of convenience in sticking with proximity to the OT in terms of props and costuming. For instance, Mandalorian, Andor, Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, the Obi-Wan show and anything else in that timeframe (Dr. Aphra?) can probably use the same Stormtrooper stunt team, whatever digital model for X-wings and TIE fighters is currently in use, and so on.

Going to the KOTOR zone, whether as a direct adaptation of the game or something more along the lines of the KOTOR comics series which uses the timeframe as a backdrop, means new designs for everything, and it's probably both cheaper and easier to do that in animation. Additionally, if they wanted to do some kind of wild and crazy aliens as major characters, like Selkath or Rakata, that's much easier in animation than in live action - notice how they deliberately simplified Ahsoka's appearance in the Mandalorian.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Yeah, I replayed KOTOR relatively recently, and I like how I could get all the dark side force powers, be a greedy jerk, put on a red lightsaber and dark robes, have a force alignment slightly south of neutral....and still save the republic and get the light side ending because I wasn't a total jerkface. also, did you know? Juhani is secretly a lesbian, she was supposed to be romanceable by a female PC and you can still can kinda, it just isn't explicit.

I also liked the sounds the various nonhuman races made when they speak. keeps making me want to do funny remixes of their voice clips for some reason.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

12. - Top - End - #42
    Titan in the Playground

I think the KOTOR Era makes a lot of sense as a next destination for Star Wars animation.
    I'm not even sure when this era takes place, since I don't know a thing about the games apart from a couple of trailers.

If it's a long, long ways before 20 BBY, then sign me up. The deeper into galactic history, the better.

For instance, Mandalorian, Andor, Book of Boba Fett, Rangers of the New Republic, the Obi-Wan show and anything else in that timeframe....
    Just looking at this list is faintly exhausting. I have zero interest in any of those apart from Mandalorian and (just barely) Boba Fett. Could not care less about the Rangers.

I watched a really interesting documentary on Antarctic krill a couple nights ago. That was vastly more appealing than most of the upcoming Star Wars slate.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

I'm not even sure when this era takes place, since I don't know a thing about the games apart from a couple of trailers.

If it's a long, long ways before 20 BBY, then sign me up. The deeper into galactic history, the better.
    About 4000 years before current era, if my memory is right. back when the republic had its own army without needing clones or droids, when the Mandalorians were more than just a few lonely bounty hunters, The Sith were more open and bald-faced about their villainy and had more than two guys, and personal energy forcefields were a thing.

jedi council still the same unfortunately.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

14. - Top - End - #44
    Titan in the Playground

4000 BBY? I'm in.

15. - Top - End - #45
    Troll in the Playground

Admittedly the only specific reason to use the KOTOR Era (which is roughly 4,000 BBY to 3,600 BBY) is the adaptation of elements of some Legends property set during that timeframe. If the intent is to do something completely original there's plenty of blank space in the timeline. For example, the period of 3,000 to 2,000 BBY is almost completely empty in both continuities and could be used to host basically anything.

16. - Top - End - #46

Flumph

Well, not the best beginning. Some improvements over their debut, but they still seem like a group from an 80's action figure tie-in cartoon (They have a character named Tech for cryin out loud).

Spoiler: Some random thoughts
    Show
    Favorite part of the ep was probably near the beginning. I did like the paranoia of Hunter suddenly surrouned by clones acting strangely and not knowing who else in his squad was affected. Shame it was made clear pretty quickly no-one but Crosshair was influenced by the clone programming.

While it takes a few details from The Last Padawan, it's also pretty incompatible. A shame because I think that version of Master Bilaba's death worked better.

How has Wrecker survived this long? I'm wondering if he's naturally blaster-proof. I think he's the only one of the group I actively dislike.

Show, don't tell. It's really irritating when characters drone on about how awesome your new characters are, which leads us to:

Within a couple of minutes of scouting out the insurgent camp Saw has the drop on them? *slow clap*

Well, Tarkin didn't lie. He did say they were insurgents, which they clearly were. Saw was openly talking about assassinating Palpatine. Taking out Saw's group and leaving the refugees alone didn't occur to Hunter? The Separatists had civilians as well so it's hard to believe this is the first time this situation came up.

And after disobeying orders, not even trying to neutralize Saw's group, and seeing that they were under observation by Tarkin, the plan was to just walk openly back into base and get Omega? *slow clap*

So, Omega. Jedi Clone, right? She doesn't look like Jango's twin sister.

I'm curious to see what the ongoing series is like now that the setup is out of the way and the group is on the run, but this wasn't the most promising of starts.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I liked it for what it was. Mostly im appreciative because its different. Its life in the trenches, where the idea of the jedi being traitors is something unnervingly plausible, if not entirely probable, and where people dont know whats going to happen next.

I kind of wish they would put the handprint back on Echo's armor, that seems like it should still be of personal significance to him since he kept it all that time.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

I’d forgotten this was coming out today.

Spoiler: The Batch
    Show
    Well, that was aggressively mediocre. But then I was never a fan of the Bad Batch.

As others have mentioned, Wrecker is terrible. He’s more of a caricature than a character. The others are pretty one-dimensional as well, but Wrecker is the worst of the lot.

I’d never heard of Master Obviously Doomed before, but she and her padawan seemed very generic. They also don’t seem very effective against battle droids, at least by the standards of most other Jedi generals we’ve see in the Clone Wars.

Dire_Flumph mentioned the Bad Batch seem like an 80s cartoon, and the whole way through I was thinking that this is Star Wars Meets the A-Team. And not in a good way.

Spoiler: The Kid
    Show
    So, Omega is Science Project SuperKid. Question is, who is she cloned from?

Please don’t tell me the Kaminoans are trying to clone Jedi to create the perfect supersoldier. Just please don’t.

Even though she’d never fired a blaster before and still made a perfect shot. Nope, we’re not cloning Jedi, no one’s ever thought of that before, and Omega is totally not going to develop Force powers.

And presumably Lama Su let the Bad Batch escape so Omega could be safer with them than with the Empire, etc. But also, I’m guessing, as a field test for their new clone property.

At least, small favors, we get to see the Kaminoans as clinical, calculating sonsaguns, closer to their portrayal in the Karen Traviss novels, as opposed to the oddly gentle version we saw in Attack of the Clones.

Spoiler: Also...
    Show
    Did anyone else watch the trailer and assume the kid was male?

I just assumed the kid was an altered version of a Jango clone, but clearly not. Just wondering if anyone else assumed the same.

So, this is isn't exactly something I'll be going out of my way to watch. Yes, it fills in a few extra details during and after Revenge of the Sith, but that's hardly necessary.

Ah well. It'll tide me over until Loki arrives.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

One funny bit of irony
    Spoiler
    Show
    Echo the clone whose more machine then man, ended up less programmed then his regular brothers

I’d forgotten this was coming out today.

Spoiler: The Batch
    Show
    Well, that was aggressively mediocre. But then I was never a fan of the Bad Batch.

As others have mentioned, Wrecker is terrible. He’s more of a caricature than a character. The others are pretty one-dimensional as well, but Wrecker is the worst of the lot.

I’d never heard of Master Obviously Doomed before, but she and her padawan seemed very generic. They also don’t seem very effective against battle droids, at least by the standards of most other Jedi generals we’ve see in the Clone Wars.

Welll
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the Jedi Generals we see are Anakin or Masters like Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda or someone on the Jedi Council or someone really high up, she was just a regular Knight and her Padawan was an easter egg.

Spoiler: The Kid
    Show
    So, Omega is Science Project SuperKid. Question is, who is she cloned from?

Please don’t tell me the Kaminoans are trying to clone Jedi to create the perfect supersoldier. Just please don’t.

Even though she’d never fired a blaster before and still made a perfect shot. Nope, we’re not cloning Jedi, no one’s ever thought of that before, and Omega is totally not going to develop Force powers.

And presumably Lama Su let the Bad Batch escape so Omega could be safer with them than with the Empire, etc. But also, I’m guessing, as a field test for their new clone property.

At least, small favors, we get to see the Kaminoans as clinical, calculating sonsaguns, closer to their portrayal in the Karen Traviss novels, as opposed to the oddly gentle version we saw in Attack of the Clones.
    The Kid is likely the mystery for the first season, well some presume she's an altered Fett Clone, I haven't actually seen anything to support it. The Kamino's were cloners long before they made the army for the republic.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2021-05-05 at 02:19 AM.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Bugbear in the Playground

Not my cup of tea, but Rebels and these Star Wars cartoons also weren't. I skipped my way through the episode and it left me cold. I will say one thing that annoyed me: that the girl clone is called Omega. That is such an real-world Earth name. It would completely break my immersion every time the name of a letter from the Greek alphabet was mentioned. It's even worse than the notion that Han Solo's surname was made up from a Spanish word.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ettin in the Playground

Personal view it was fine, like an ok episode of Clone Wars.

I could critique it for a number of items (as some have done above) and this would be fair.

Spoiler: Two Issues I do have
    Show

1. I do no like the character of 'Saw Gerrera' and I think it might just be the name, it smacks of introducing someone who is meant to be on the side of the heroes and calling them 'Slobadawn Malosowitch' there is nothing inherently wrong with those names, but would cause me to cringe as I hear them, so I am hoping he is merely a cameo from Rogue One and we will not see him again but I worry that he might appear as a series regular.

2. When you have a super snap shot sniper and you make them the bad guy you automatically have to make them not a super snap shot sniper anymore or the heroes just die, they could have picked someone else to be affected by the implant without having that issue.

Do wonder if it will be all main story all the time or more a a selection of short stories.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-05-05 at 07:24 AM.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Personal view it was fine, like an ok episode of Clone Wars.

I could critique it for a number of items (as some have done above) and this would be fair.

Spoiler: Two Issues I do have
    Show

1. I do no like the character of 'Saw Gerrera' and I think it might just be the name, it smacks of introducing someone who is meant to be on the side of the heroes and calling them 'Slobadawn Malosowitch' there is nothing inherently wrong with those names, but would cause me to cringe as I hear them, so I am hoping he is merely a cameo from Rogue One and we will not see him again but I worry that he might appear as a series regular.

2. When you have a super snap shot sniper and you make them the bad guy you automatically have to make them not a super snap shot sniper anymore or the heroes just die, they could have picked someone else to be affected by the implant without having that issue.

Do wonder if it will be all main story all the time or more a a selection of short stories.
    Saw was a major character in one of the arcs of The Clone Wars. He's been a recurring character in various media. My guess is that somebody high up likes his character, because there isnt a lot of reason for him to be making these cameos otherwise.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #53
    Pixie in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Most of the Jedi Generals we see are Anakin or Masters like Obi-Wan, Mace, Yoda or someone on the Jedi Council or someone really high up, she was just a regular Knight and her Padawan was an easter egg.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was it just me, or was it a little jarring to hear Freddie Prinze Jr.’s very adult voice coming out of padawan Kanan’s baby face?

I get that they wanted to have his original voice actor for the cameo, but it felt off to me.

24. - Top - End - #54
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Onyxjade View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Was it just me, or was it a little jarring to hear Freddie Prinze Jr.’s very adult voice coming out of padawan Kanan’s baby face?

I get that they wanted to have his original voice actor for the cameo, but it felt off to me.
    Spoiler
    Show
    It was super weird to me to have a grown adult voice coming out of that kid's body, especially when I didn't connect the dots right away as to who it was supposed to be. Even after realizing who it was, it was still weird.

25. - Top - End - #55

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Spoiler: Some random thoughts
    Show
    Well, Tarkin didn't lie. He did say they were insurgents, which they clearly were.
    Wait, i thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    he explicitly claimed they were Separatists trying to continue the war; when they are actually Republic loyalists.

Spoiler
    Show
    Saw was openly talking about assassinating Palpatine.
    Well, there is that, of course.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    Wait, i thought
    Spoiler
    Show
    he explicitly claimed they were Separatists trying to continue the war; when they are actually Republic loyalists.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I think he would be forgiven for confusing the two - this all seemed to happen on the day of Order 66 (or close to it).

27. - Top - End - #57

RedWizardGuy

I thought it was great. Loved seeing little Kanan, although I'm glad they didn't make him a permanent part of the show. Enjoyed Tarkin, and think he would be a good ultimate adversary for this thing. My only hope for it that I don't think will happen is that the Batch slowly gets whittled down, and finally eliminated in a last stand for the final episode. Nothing has indicated they survive until even Rebels, so I think their eventual deaths would be important.
    ETA - Watched the next episode this morning. Not much going on, and the episode was pretty derivative of a lot of other shows that have had the same type of episode (The Mandalorian had one with the same theme). It was fine.
    Last edited by Darth Credence; 2021-05-07 at 09:14 AM.
    Campaigning in my home brewed world for the since spring of 2020 - started a campaign journal to keep track of what is going on a few levels in. It starts here: https://www.worldanvil.com/w/the-ter...report-article

Created an interactive character sheet for sidekicks on Google Sheets - automatic calculations, drop down menus for sidekick type, hopefully everything necessary to run a sidekick: https://tinyurl.com/y6rnyuyc

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

Second episode, surprisingly enjoyable.

Spoiler
    Show
    …although somewhat predictable, and a little too schmaltzy to really buy it. They should’ve been severely annoyed and irritated by the kid, not all-too-quickly melted.

Fact is, they’re professional soldiers bred for war; the last thing they should want or need is a naive, trouble-prone child hanging around, especially when she’s compromising mission success left and right.

Apart from that, it was more fun than I expected. Nice to check in with Cut and his family (ahh, the title, how punny) and some basic escaping hijinks, although I’m not convinced that getting their ship impounded really was the best plan. We know the Empire is into databases, and being impounded almost certainly puts them on the Empire’s radar. Might as well set some tropical islands on fire spelling out “HI CROSSHAIR WE WERE HERE.”

And although I wasn’t expecting to, I did enjoy the glimpse of the transition between war-weary Republic and heavily propagandized Empire. Still not my top choice for a Star Wars series, but with this episode it’s gone from “will grudgingly watch” to “not bad, see where it goes.”

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

Second episode, surprisingly enjoyable.
    Agreed.

Spoiler
    Show
    They should’ve been severely annoyed and irritated by the kid, not all-too-quickly melted.
    Spoiler
    Show
    I didn't mind this, essentially the clones are quick grown and bred for war - if the kid was a regular young clone trooper they likely wouldn't have an issue with them signing up so accepting a non-regular clone trooper seems reasonable to me (and she did complete one mission for them, and merely delay their escape rather then severly hamper it).

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

I found Wrecker to be a lot more enjoyable in this one, probably because he used his inside voice more. There is something rather endearing about how he's a simple man with simple pleasures, even if he does do dumb things sometimes.