New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Default Re: Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    I did like the starship graveyard, but if it's controlled by and for scrappers, shouldn't we see them, you know, scrapping?
    IDK...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The clones are trying to avoid detection, so it makes sense that they'd pick a cruiser in the boneyard, as far away from the actual scrapping operation as possible.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AMX View Post
    IDK...
    Spoiler
    Show
    The clones are trying to avoid detection, so it makes sense that they'd pick a cruiser in the boneyard, as far away from the actual scrapping operation as possible.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Plus not every person in the guild is going to be a actively scrapping. It's super easy to think they were working security or surveillance, making sure no unauthorized personell were around trying to take their stuff.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #123
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I fully agree that "clones are bad parents" is part of the point. They treat Omega like she really is just a member of the squad because of course they do. Why would any clone (besides Cut who had someone to help teach him) know how to treat her like a child?
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-06-16 at 02:05 AM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Lizard Lord
    They treat Omega like she really is just a member of the squad because of course they do.
    Problem is, they're not really treating her like a full member of the squad, either.

Spoiler
    Show
    When they went into the droid reclamation facility, they had full armor, weapons and years of intensive combat training, plus more years of battle experience. Omega has no armor, no training, no experience, and an energy bow she can barely use.

Fact is, she would've died if the sisters hadn't been a) miraculously present at the exact same time, and b) conveniently soft-hearted enough to pause their heist to save someone else's kid. Can you imagine if it had been Bossk instead of the sisters?

At the very least, the Batch needs to learn from this and get the kid some armor, as well as lay down some strict ground rules for when to move and when not to. The clones grew up under strictly regimented conditions, so I'd think they'd default to the same with her.

5. - Top - End - #125

Problem is, they're not really treating her like a full member of the squad, either.

Spoiler
    Show
    When they went into the droid reclamation facility, they had full armor, weapons and years of intensive combat training, plus more years of battle experience. Omega has no armor, no training, no experience, and an energy bow she can barely use.

Fact is, she would've died if the sisters hadn't been a) miraculously present at the exact same time, and b) conveniently soft-hearted enough to pause their heist to save someone else's kid. Can you imagine if it had been Bossk instead of the sisters?

At the very least, the Batch needs to learn from this and get the kid some armor, as well as lay down some strict ground rules for when to move and when not to. The clones grew up under strictly regimented conditions, so I'd think they'd default to the same with her.
    Correct. They treat her as an initiate. Because she is.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How would she have died in the Droid reclamation facility if not for the sisters? The only reason she was in danger to start with was because of the sisters to start with. No sisters, no death.
    Also, of course she has no armor. They left Kamino with nothing but the clothes[ armor on their back, and have been in the run and trying to lie relatively low since. This isn't a D&D campaign where they can just pop into the local smithery and pick up some child-sized armor without any issue or raising any suspicion. They need the time, money, ability, and discrepancy. That doesn't just fall into their laps.

This just seems like a really weird issue to take.

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

New episode, ended up enjoying it a fair bit.

Spoiler: Clone Classes
    Show
    So, Wrecker is now teaching Omega some basic skills. I appreciated the fact that she’s not super-genius girl who defuses a deadly bomb on the first try—and I also liked that Wrecker at least had sense enough to have her practice with a nonlethal device.

Still not good parents, but at least they’re starting to teach her something useful. But given how often she seems to need rescuing from heights and/or deadly machinery, they really need to get her some armor, and probably climbing claws or a grappling hook as well.

Spoiler: Stomping Ground
    Show
    I enjoyed all the clambering through the hulk of the Republic cruiser, mainly because I really liked the aesthetic. Still had its goofy moments, and blowing apart the drive cowl probably shouldn’t have given such a clean getaway…but even so, it ended up being fun.

And it was almost poignant, with all the echoes of the Clone Wars. I was hoping they'd swing by the hangar and pick up a Y-Wing or two, but ah well.

Spoiler: It's Amazing Who You Run Into
    Show
    I was not expecting the blue guy, and in fact I was expecting Fennec to make a dramatic reappearance.

But Cad Bane certainly ups the game. I can’t recall the last time we saw him, but I’m pretty sure this is the first time we’ve seen him after the formation of the Empire. I vaguely recall him in command of a Separatist ship, which is a little outside of a bounty hunter’s typical remit, but offhand I can’t remember if we ever had any closure with him in the Clone Wars.

He does seem to have picked up a new droid assistant, though, since I’m very sure the previous one ended up carrying a bomb into the Jedi Temple, which didn’t end well for that particular droid.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

I also liked it.

Spoiler: Minor Nitpick
    Show

Element of why they didn't just destroy them and their ship from orbit I will overlook due to that not being how television or movies work when the protaganists are involved.

Spoiler: Future
    Show

Glad that once they dealt with the chips the immediately went to other 'main story' stuff as otherwise think it would have been a bit disjointed.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Latest episode is out. only seen clips so far mind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Are they setting up to reveal Fennec Shan is Jango's sister?
    The clip I watched it sounds like there's more to this than the pay check.
    Is it possible Omega is a clone of her via Jango Fett?

Spoiler
    Show
    Is it possible the whole reason the Kaminoans were involved in the clone trooper project was to find a way to prolong their own species existence and the real reason for Omega is that she's vital for THEIR continued existence and letting her escape with the Bad Batch was to hide the truth behind their plans?

Spoiler
    Show
    No it was odd mind you she had the money, but stayed behind to pick up Omega and if she does have a link to Jango and his sister it would make sense she has a personal reason to want to recover Omega?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-06-25 at 03:57 AM.

9. - Top - End - #129

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Latest episode is out. only seen clips so far mind you!

Spoiler
    Show
    Are they setting up to reveal Fennec Shan is Jango's sister?
    ... Where did that come from? Like, I got no indication whatsoever of that, and I would hate it because that would only continue making the universe smaller.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

IIRC its been established that Jango was a foundling taken in by the Mandalorians, which is how he got the armor. That would seem to imply that the rest of his family is dead and/or has no connection to him at this point.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

11. - Top - End - #131

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    ... Where did that come from? Like, I got no indication whatsoever of that, and I would hate it because that would only continue making the universe smaller.
    He only saw clips of the episode, so he's
    Spoiler
    Show
    pretty much off the mark for it all. An interesting study on how just seeing parts of something can lead to some interesting conclusions

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

New episode, really enjoyed it.

Spoiler: Blue Man Group
    Show
    Great to see Cad Bane again, and his new ride is the single best-looking ship since Star Wars hit Disney+. The Razorcrest certainly had personality, but this thing looks like a love child between a YT-1300 and a Colonial Marines dropship.

And Bane is up to all his usual tricks. The entire time he was fighting with Fennec on the open-air corridor, I was just waiting for her to pitch him over the side, and cue the rocket boots. Nice not to be disappointed.

But poor Bane is really off his game, letting a whippersnapper like Fennec get the drop on him. He should look into getting a more competent droid, since Todo is just pathetic.

Also, still very puzzled about Todo. I distinctly remember a Todo-like droid being blown to pieces when Cad Bane pulled a job at the Jedi Temple—and yet here is what looks like the same droid, just a couple years later. Is Bane just ordering replacements as needed? Or is this somehow the same droid that miraculously survived?

Spoiler: Alpha & Omega
    Show
    Just the right amount of name-dropping, and of course a little backdoor advertising for an upcoming Disney+ series.

For once the genetics explanation makes a certain amount of sense, since the original source material was lost on Geonosis. It shouldn’t be that hard for the Kaminoans to find Boba—after all, they managed to easily track down Omega—but if she’s a more recent edition, she may have modifications that make her better than Boba.

I’m still wondering why the Kaminoans chose to make Omega female, when the default for Jango’s clones is male. It’s more work to make her female, since there are a lot of extra genes to be suppressed and activated, and since they’re already cloners I’m not sure if old-fashioned biological reproduction would be any advantage.

Spoiler: You’re A Mean One, Mr. Su
    Show
    Really glad to see them leaning into the darker aspects of the Kaminoans. They were rather neutral, almost benevolent, in Attack of the Clones, and it took the Karen Traviss novels to begin to explore some of the less savory ramifications of working with cloned humans.

(One of the Mandalorians had Kaminoan-leather gloves, which was a good indication of how other Mandalorians felt, at least in the Travissverse.)

Spoiler: Superior Design
    Show
    This episode really stands out for the location design, beautiful and desolate at once. Turns out that the aesthetic of industrial decay works really well on the lines and palette of Kaminoan architecture, and the cloud effects all the more so.

In previous episodes the spare-parts nature of the animation hasn’t really worked to the show’s advantage, but between Bane’s ship and the Kaminoan facility, they’ve more than made up for it.

I wouldn’t have thought it, but now I’m really interested in an "Art of Bad Batch" book, since I’d love to see the concept art that went into this episode. Here’s hoping the rest of the season keeps up this trend of steady improvement.

13. - Top - End - #133

Flumph

Got 3 weeks behind since I watch this with my son and he was vacationing with friends.

And that was a pretty breezy watch, 3 episodes flew by really well. I think the show is starting to hit its stride better.

Spoiler: So about that reveal......
    Show
    Ok, so Omega isn't a Jedi clone. On the one hand, that's great. We have the Mandalorian and Rebels, I'm not sure we need another "Jedi Kid on the run with Outlaws" show.

On the other hand...

I'm having trouble seeing Omega as a high enough priority target to be worth the fuss. Nala Se seems to have a motherly attatchment, but the excuse for Taun We and Lama Su is that Omega is a pure Jango clone who can be used as a genetic template for more clones.

So what's so great about Jango that he's the go to for clone soldiers? I really can't see the difference between Omega and paying another Bounty Hunter a large credit payment for regular genetic material withdrawals.

Spoiler: Not much else to say but
    Show
    That Fennec/Bane fight was a lot of fun. Good to see Bane back, he's a villain that wasn't undercut during Clone Wars and since I don't think he's shown up in later era material, there's always the danger of him getting killed here.

My remaining complaint is still that the Bad Batch rarely seem to live up to the "Best of the Best" label they had slapped on them, but the battle with Crosshairs went well enough to make both sides look good.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler: Alpha & Omega
    Show
    Just the right amount of name-dropping, and of course a little backdoor advertising for an upcoming Disney+ series.

For once the genetics explanation makes a certain amount of sense, since the original source material was lost on Geonosis. It shouldn’t be that hard for the Kaminoans to find Boba—after all, they managed to easily track down Omega—but if she’s a more recent edition, she may have modifications that make her better than Boba.

I’m a still wondering why the Kaminoans chose to make Omega female, when the default for Jango’s clones is male. It’s more work to make her female, since there are a lot of extra genes to be suppressed and activated, and since they’re already cloners I’m not sure if old-fashioned biological reproduction would be any advantage.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Several reasons I can think of, first when she was cloned Jango was still around and he might have vetoed a second Boba. Or he had a claim on any unaltered clone. Second making her female only requires controlling certain hormone released during development. And secondly as Jango had both X and Y chromosomes. If you can clone human in a tube you can clone using his X chromosome twice.
    Making her female would also make further steps in the process easier as it’s simpler to clone female subjects.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I forget, is Fenec Shand human? Does she have some way to ,slow her aging process? She seems younger than Boba in the Mandalorian, but Boba Fett should be the same age as Omega.

16. - Top - End - #136

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    Spoiler: So about that reveal......
    Show
    So what's so great about Jango that he's the go to for clone soldiers? I really can't see the difference between Omega and paying another Bounty Hunter a large credit payment for regular genetic material withdrawals.
    Spoiler
    Show
    [Ryan George]He was in the movie! [/Ryan George]

Spoiler: Not much else to say but
    Show
    My remaining complaint is still that the Bad Batch rarely seem to live up to the "Best of the Best" label they had slapped on them, but the battle with Crosshairs went well enough to make both sides look good.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Also the stun blasts for no reason. I get that it's Disney not wanting wanton deaths, but it's not called Star Fun & Games.

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I forget, is Fenec Shand human? Does she have some way to ,slow her aging process? She seems younger than Boba in the Mandalorian, but Boba Fett should be the same age as Omega.
    Bog standard human.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-06-25 at 08:15 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

Flumph

Ming-Na has aged beautifully, I don't see why Fennec can't. (She's currently 57)
    Last edited by Dire_Flumph; 2021-06-25 at 08:51 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

First Boba did spend time in a Sarlacc Stomach so that heavy scaring makes him look much older.

Boba Fett at this point in time during the Bad Batch would be thirteen or fourteen years old. There's no reason that Boba and Omega have to be the same age. She looks to be a little shorter then Boba was when he tried to kill Mace Windu aboard the Endurance which would have been early in the Clone wars. So I think she was cloned three years after Boba.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

19. - Top - End - #139
    Ettin in the Playground

Newest episode - broadly fine.

Spoiler: Issue
    Show

I don't like the genetic clone of Jango Fett angle - not because they couldn't do something interesting, or because they flipped the sex (which many cloning stories have), but because 'pure genetic replication' doesn't really fit with flipping the sex.

Not a game changer but just feels daft and could go much more daft.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    Newest episode - broadly fine.

Spoiler: Issue
    Show

I don't like the genetic clone of Jango Fett angle - not because they couldn't do something interesting, or because they flipped the sex (which many cloning stories have), but because 'pure genetic replication' doesn't really fit with flipping the sex.

Not a game changer but just feels daft and could go much more daft.
    I haven't seen any of the show, but just from the snippets I've picked up in the thread,

Spoiler
    Show
    with all the male jango fett clones running around, there's one really obvious reason why the only female one would also be the only pure genetic match....

21. - Top - End - #141

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    I haven't seen any of the show, but just from the snippets I've picked up in the thread,

Spoiler
    Show
    with all the male jango fett clones running around, there's one really obvious reason why the only female one would also be the only pure genetic match....
    Assume, for the moment, that I am not a smart man.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Assume, for the moment, that I am not a smart man.
    Spoiler
    Show
    jango fett is genetically female

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler
    Show
    jango fett is genetically female
    That seems implausible given that Boba Fett is an unaltered clone.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

24. - Top - End - #144
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Maybe Omega's "mother" got intrigued at the idea of a female clone and the others let her raise the child until she became useful for their own schemes once Tarkin arrived?
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-06-26 at 04:18 PM.

25. - Top - End - #145
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    That seems implausible given that Boba Fett is an unaltered clone.
    Unaltered could be referring to the modifications they made to make the other clones better soldiers ( fast aging, probably some obedience stuff, secret order 66 chips) and not the gender of the child. Possibly Jango requested discretion about his genetic gender, and so the kaminoan who told obi wan about that might just not even know that boba's gender was modified from Jango's.

I agree it's a far fetched theory. I don't really believe it myself that much.

26. - Top - End - #146

BardGuy

Unaltered could be referring to the modifications they made to make the other clones better soldiers ( fast aging, probably some obedience stuff, secret order 66 chips) and not the gender of the child. Possibly Jango requested discretion about his genetic gender, and so the kaminoan who told obi wan about that might just not even know that boba's gender was modified from Jango's.

I agree it's a far fetched theory. I don't really believe it myself that much.
    Yeah, unless Jango was a shapeshifter in Attack of the Clones, it's flat-out impossible.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Taevyr View Post
    Yeah, unless Jango was a shapeshifter in Attack of the Clones, it's flat-out impossible.
    Why does jango have to be a shapeshifter? Did we see a flashback of his birth that I'm not remembering?

28. - Top - End - #148

Flumph

Not sure how we got down this trail, but for clarification, XX males do exist as a rare condition, but it would be completely unnecessary.

Normally men have an X and Y chromosome. With a male host, you could theoretically replace the Y chromosome with an X chromosome from a different cell. The resulting clone then should develop as female. The reverse is trickier as women normally have two X chromosomes, so you would likely have to substitute a Y chromosome from a different host, but that wouldn't then be a perfect clone.

But this is Star Wars, so I'm not expecting solid genetic science. The reason the Kaminoans need Omega back to make more Jango clones could just be that they accidentally placed a mass bulk order of clone armor in his exact size they need to use up.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Spoiler
    Show
    Well that either means they found someone to act as a surrogate mother and gestating that normally is what allowed a female child birth or that Kaminoan got "creative".

However she's a first generation clone apparently, perhaps Boba was actually a set of twins but only one was "born" the other kept in vitro until the need for more Jango Fett dna meant she was "birthed" to help support the clone trooper program.

There is another possibility since the Kaminoans used bounty hunters that could include mercenaries to trace Jango's past and locate his long thought dead family.

There's a few possibilities to explain what's going on however...

Spoiler
    Show
    Why let her know about the inhibitor chips?

Why isn't she carrying one?

What else is going on we don't know about?

30. - Top - End - #150
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    Why let her know about the inhibitor chips?

Why isn't she carrying one?

What else is going on we don't know about?

Spoiler
    Show

Why not let her know about inhibitor chips, she was working as Nala Se assistant and it appears no one outside the Kaminoan's new about her until after Order 66 was implemented. Not to mention Nala Se clearly has motherly attachments to her. She was never intended to be used as a solider so the inhibitor chip has no use.

The reason the Kaminoans need Omega back to make more Jango clones could just be that they accidentally placed a mass bulk order of clone armor in his exact size they need to use up.
    Well they want to convince the Empire to keep using the Clone Army. If they can't make more Jango clones that's an easy excuse for the Empire to drop the project entirely.
    Last edited by Lord Vukodlak; 2021-06-27 at 02:01 PM.