New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Barbarian in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Star Wars: The Bad Batch

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Well they want to convince the Empire to keep using the Clone Army. If they can't make more Jango clones that's an easy excuse for the Empire to drop the project entirely.
    That's never made much sense to me. You'd think a variety of Clone templates would be more appealing.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Dire_Flumph View Post
    That's never made much sense to me. You'd think a variety of Clone templates would be more appealing.
    I am pretty sure the Empire is just looking for an excuse to drop the clone project so that they don't need to rely on the Kaminoans. The Empire is (at least by the time of the original trilogy) xenophobic with few non-humans making it far in their ranks. Anything that they could latch on to say that the army that won them the Clone Wars isn't as useful they just might.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-06-27 at 03:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I am pretty sure the Empire is just looking for an excuse to drop the clone project so that they don't need to rely on the Kaminoans. The Empire is (at least by the time of the original trilogy) xenophobic with few non-humans making it far in their ranks. Anything that they could latch on to say that the army that won them the Clone Wars isn't as useful they just might.
    From the Empire's perspective, absolutely. They have plenty of reasons to go with conscripted troops over Clones, #1 being that their troop production is currently under the control of an alien government.

What I don't understand is why, from the Kaminoan's perspective, they're all-in on the Jango template rather than diversifying.

4. - Top - End - #154
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Yes, which is exactly what we got in the Thrawn trilogy. But, you see, AotC was written very, very badly.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

From the Empire's perspective, absolutely. They have plenty of reasons to go with conscripted troops over Clones, #1 being that their troop production is currently under the control of an alien government.

What I don't understand is why, from the Kaminoan's perspective, they're all-in on the Jango template rather than diversifying.
    Because the Jango clones were the absolute best. Finding a human template of equal measure is harder then finding Omega. If diversifying means delivering an inferior product they don’t want to do it. Also all the research into modifying and enhancement is geared towards Fett DNA.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, the only real weakness of a clone army compared to a regular one of all the same guy is the potential for a virus to wipe large numbers of them. As far as natural viruses go, this isn't like earth where all the biology is compatible and could catch something from something jumping over from an animal, as things like biochemical barriers exist and its improbable that the troops would be interacting with any life form capable of transmitting a disease to them aside from other humans, now humans are a common form of life, they could catch a disease from other ones and there are so many planets any disease that spreads would be local to a planet at most, space is a very good isolator and so are spaceships. They'd face the same risks of every soldier would go when going to a planet they haven't been at that point, because I highly doubt you can make a virus spread throughout an entire galaxy even with FTL travel.

Now, the Separatists could've tried to engineer an artificial virus to kill the clone army.....but there is a few problems with that plan. For one, they're focused on robotic technology, not biological technology, and while they're made up of rich corporations, fighting a galaxy-wide war is expensive. Exorbitantly expensive. Researching up a virus to kill them probably wouldn't have room in the budget compared to all the things they're actually good at. Two, a virus is uncontrollable: it could mutate and go kill all the wrong humans or end up being exploited by the republic to claim the moral high ground in the war and thus gain more support for the Republics side, The Separatists still have a lot of corporations and would see the people of the republic as customers that could buy their goods so no reason to antagonize people if you win, unleashing a virus would be bad for business from the Separatists perspective. And there is a good possibility that Star wars tech in general doesn't have the capability to make such a thing and are focused on spaceships and droids.

So there is no reason to diversify, as there is no real reason to think a disease will wipe out the troops in any major way, no reason or ability for the Separatists to make something to do that and a few good reasons for them not to make one, so to a Kaminoan perspective cloning is just being efficient. any mental variations will develop naturally as they gain experience on the battlefield on different planets and locations against different foes, and its possible for genetic variation to arise due to environmental factors throughout human development, DNA is just one contributor not the sole contributor.
    I'm also on discord as "raziere".

7. - Top - End - #157

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Because the Jango clones were the absolute best. Finding a human template of equal measure is harder then finding Omega. If diversifying means delivering an inferior product they don’t want to do it. Also all the research into modifying and enhancement is geared towards Fett DNA.
    Unless there's something about his makeup that makes cloning easier, I find that very hard to believe. Jango seemed impressive, but not abnormally so for Star Wars. He held his own against Kenobi long enough to escape when Kenobi was specifically trying to bring him in alive, but once that was off the table Mace took him down easily.

I'm sticking to the theory that all the clone equipment was ordered in Jango's size as more plausible, thank you.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Unless there's something about his makeup that makes cloning easier, I find that very hard to believe. Jango seemed impressive, but not abnormally so for Star Wars. He held his own against Kenobi long enough to escape when Kenobi was specifically trying to bring him in alive, but once that was off the table Mace took him down easily.

I'm sticking to the theory that all the clone equipment was ordered in Jango's size as more plausible, thank you.
    I mean, if nothing else, they already have a ton of research on Jango's DNA, specifically, along with modifications. They have a lot invested in him specifically.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

9. - Top - End - #159
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Keltest
    I mean, if nothing else, they already have a ton of research on Jango's DNA, specifically, along with modifications. They have a lot invested in him specifically.
    This has to be a major factor. Almost certainly they know his personal genome better than any other human, so they've already laid the groundwork, made the mistakes, and fine-tuned the accelerated growth, behavioral modifications and all the other issues with sustained mass production. It's probably far easier for them to continue churning out Jango clones than to start all over with another individual.

10. - Top - End - #160
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Honestly I am still not entirely sure that Omega is a Jango clone. She seems to have displayed Force sensitive awareness in a few episodes and I don't believe Jango had any real sensitivity with the Force. I think maybe Tech just read that Omega was an original clone template and just assumed that meant Jango clone.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-06-27 at 11:17 PM.

11. - Top - End - #161
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Honestly I am still not entirely sure that Omega is a Jango clone. She seems to have displayed Force sensitive awareness in a few episodes and I don't believe Jango had any real sensitivity with the Force. I think maybe Tech just read that Omega was an original clone template and just assumed that meant Jango clone.
    I agree that sounds more plausible some Legend material did state they were trying to diversify adding new templates in an attempt to prolong the program.

However what if that WASN'T the reason for the program itself?
    Its nice they get paid for their research and have something to help cover things as they focus on something far more important.

Since the Fett template has been stretched to breaking point, what about the Kaminoan race itself?

They've been cloning themselves for how long?

What if they need Omega to help restore their own template?

If they're having problems with the Fett template after what 5 to 10 years?

How about themselves, how are they prolonging their own cloning template?

This might be about the future of the Kaminoans and not their Clone Trooper project!

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    jango fett is genetically female
    Spoiler
    Show
    Yea hope they avoid nonsense like that - or making Omega really a boy.

This is possible - but it means that Tech looked for genetic manipulation markers in Omega found none and decided she was an unmodified clone of Jango, rather then the more obvious being a clone of someone else - which I suppose is consistent with the competance level of the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Hopeless View Post
    This might be about the future of the Kaminoans and not their Clone Trooper project!
    This is what I am thinking (kindof - more not about the clone troopers and more about other ill-defined research, maybe force cloning for some Palpatine secret project).

They did mention getting a sample from her and didn't just have Bane extract it so might require some medical/scientific skill rather then just a pound of flesh but they clearly didn't need a stable source of as they didn't need to keep her around.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Halfling in the Playground

Spoiler: Crazy Omega theory
    Show
    Given Omega's age, I believe she could be old enough to be the Armorer from the Mandalorian. Now I don't believe this is where they're going with her character, but if it is that would be an interesting journey to watch.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Wayac View Post
    Show
    Given Omega's age, I believe she could be old enough to be the Armorer from the Mandalorian. Now I don't believe this is where they're going with her character, but if it is that would be an interesting journey to watch.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Now that's an interesting theory I'd like to see happen!
    Perhaps there's a reason they shouldn't remove their helmets after all?
    Imagine if initially quite a few of the early members of that group were clones how would new recruits react to that kind of reveal?
    Maybe there's more to that cult than Bo Katan knows?!

15. - Top - End - #165
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Wayac View Post
    Show
    Ehhhh. I, for one, dislike forcing as many characters as possible to be in as many separate events as possible. It isn't interesting to know that a dozen people all just happen to be present for all of the major events in the galaxy. Especially considering its supposed to be, well, a galaxy. I can't imagine what purpose something like that would have aside from fanservice.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

16. - Top - End - #166
    Titan in the Playground

RE: the Crazy Omega Theory--

--I sincerely hope not. That would be utterly ludicrous. What's the point of introducing a new character if they just turn out to be an existing character?

17. - Top - End - #167
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Latest episode is out!

Spoiler
    Show
    Extraction on Raxus, have I got that name right?!
    Been only watching the clips so its looks great and has the potential for quite a bit of action.
    Sorry if that disappoints anyone, but I need to get back to watching!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-07-02 at 03:16 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ettin in the Playground

A fine episode.

Spoiler: But...
    Show

How much money changed hands in that nearly always empty pub to clear the undefined debt they had.

I did like that the team finally got there mission done without horribly messing up - and I can justify stunning people as it seems easier to hit with the stun effect, but the problem of pursuit would have been avoided if they had merely killed the imperial officer - and they had no reason not to.

Omega is good at strategy games I can overlook as I effectively played it in my mind as 'the kid can play computer games' but she has never really been shown to be a great strategic thinker - if they do something with this fine I guess but seems like the kindof thing that will be forgotten the next time a bad plan occurs.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Titan in the Playground

So, new episode. Goofy fun, stormtrooper shenanigans, overall very enjoyable.

Spoiler: High-Speed Chase
    Show
    To paraphrase Sharon Carter, I’m not sure if they understand the concept of a getaway vehicle. And what would they have done if there hadn’t been a convenient passage behind a convenient wall?

But I did like the detail of the walker badly leaking oil as it lumbered onward. And it was great to see the old walkers get a little more screen time.

Spoiler: Just Poppin'
    Show
    So, droid-poppers work on humans now?

Did that ever happen in the Clone Wars, or is this new?

Spoiler: Best Moment
    Show
    When the protocol droid grabbed the Senator’s hat right after it fell off. That was a little masterpiece of comedic timing.

Spoiler: Guest Voice
    Show
    Also note, it was none other than Alexander Siddig (aka Dr. Julian Bashir) who voiced Senator Singh.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-07-02 at 12:49 PM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Titan in the Playground

Remember, the force usage is based on midichlorians.
    So, just inject a huge mass of them into a growing clone and viola' a new force user is made. Assuming they are stable and bond with new creature.

She like the rest of team are experiments. She is likely a successful injection.
    We haven't seen the rejects yet...

21. - Top - End - #171
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Starbuck_II View Post
    Remember, the force usage is based on midichlorians.
    So, just inject a huge mass of them into a growing clone and viola' a new force user is made. Assuming they are stable and bond with new creature.

She like the rest of team are experiments. She is likely a successful injection.
    We haven't seen the rejects yet...
    Omega is supposed to be an unaltered clone, but maybe just being injected with something doesn't really count.

Either way I personally prefer that Star Wars just pretends like Medichlorians aren't real and Qui-gon was just a crazy conspiracy theorist.
    Last edited by Lizard Lord; 2021-07-06 at 01:49 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Ive always preferred the explanation that midichlorians thrive in high-Force environments rather than causing it. So you can put as many of them in a person as you want, but they wont cause the Force if it wasnt already there.
    Last edited by Keltest; 2021-07-05 at 06:50 AM.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Keltest View Post
    Ive always preferred the explanation that midichlorians thrive in high-Force environments rather than causing it. So you can put as many of them in a person as you want, but they wont cause the Force if it wasnt already there.
    I agree when they announced their High Republic series particularly about the plant-like menace it got me wondering about a species that preyed in midichlorians and were justifiably feared by force users leading to them being marooned in that system.
    So like Kamino was wiped from the Archives, but thought sealed away beyond reach until the Great Disaster caused ships to start exploring again stumbling onto the system.

24. - Top - End - #174
    Ettin in the Playground

A fine episode ... of a different show.

Spoiler: Newest Episode
    Show

Honestly I think the line above sums it up - this episode had nothing to do with The Bad Batch at all other then them being a cameo to do a job for someone they no longer owe money too.

I don't mind the episode and doing a show on how the rise of the empire impacts various groups in the aftermath of the clone war is interesting enough, but still if that is what they wanted 'Rise of the Empire' might be a better name for the cartoon and focusing on Imperial characters over renegades would make sense.
    Last edited by dancrilis; 2021-07-09 at 01:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by dancrilis
    I was about to say, that was a mildly entertaining episode of Clone Wars.

Spoiler: Seriously Small Galaxy
    Show
    So the Bad Batch meets not just one future member of the Ghost’s crew, but two?

Small galaxy nothin’, it’s feeling like a very small moon around here.

Spoiler: Otherwise...
    Show
    Obvious trap is obvious, and you’d think savvy guerilla fighters wouldn’t play so easily into the Empire’s hands.

That said, I did enjoy seeing the double-hulled rolling tank again, and the BARC speeders.

However...they’re using Republic-era gunships and speeders…but shouldn’t they be using the newer, Empire-ready gunships that we saw in TCW during the hunt for Ahsoka? Or is Ryloth deep enough into the Outer Rim that they’re still using leftovers rather than new material?

Spoiler: The First Rule of Gunrunning
    Show
    The first rule, of course, is to invite total strangers into your ship and show them the controls, the crew quarters, the gunnery systems, and mention that you keep getting chased and shot at a lot.

Honest. First rule. Builds customer confidence and creates a secure environment in your home away from home.
    Last edited by Palanan; 2021-07-09 at 01:22 PM.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post

Spoiler: Newest Episode
    Show

Honestly I think the line above sums it up - this episode had nothing to do with The Bad Batch at all other then them being a cameo to do a job for someone they no longer owe money too.

I don't mind the episode and doing a show on how the rise of the empire impacts various groups in the aftermath of the clone war is interesting enough, but still if that is what they wanted 'Rise of the Empire' might be a better name for the cartoon and focusing on Imperial characters over renegades would make sense.
    Crosshair is fairly prominent in this episode and he was part of the Bad Batch. But your right its not like this could possibly be a set up or anything. Its not like the next episode is titled
    Spoiler
    Show
    Rescue on Ryloth
    or anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Palanan View Post
    I was about to say, that was a mildly entertaining episode of Clone Wars.

Spoiler: Seriously Small Galaxy
    Show
    So the Bad Batch meets not just one future member of the GhostÂ’s crew, but two?

Small galaxy nothinÂ’, itÂ’s feeling like a very small moon around here.
    The force binds the galaxy together. But really
    Spoiler
    Show
    If your going to have the Bad Batch have a hand in one Jedi escaping order 66. Your options are limited without introducing an entirely new character. And if they'll get involved in the beginnings of the rebellion Ryloth, that means involving the Cham family. The beginnings of the rebellion are a small moon.

Spoiler: Otherwise...
    Show
    Obvious trap is obvious, and youÂ’d think savvy guerilla fighters wouldnÂ’t play so easily into the EmpireÂ’s hands.

That said, I did enjoy seeing the double-hulled rolling tank again, and the BARC speeders.

However...theyÂ’re using Republic-era gunships and speedersÂ…but shouldnÂ’t they be using the newer, Empire-ready gunships that we saw in TCW during the hunt for Ahsoka? Or is Ryloth deep enough into the Outer Rim that theyÂ’re still using leftovers rather than new material?
    Ryloth is fairly remote and its unlikely many of the new toys would have gotten out that far yet.
    [spoiler]And the Savvy guerilla fighter was Charm and he wasn't there.[spoiler]

Spoiler: The First Rule of Gunrunning
    Show
    The first rule, of course, is to invite total strangers into your ship and show them the controls, the crew quarters, the gunnery systems, and mention that you keep getting chased and shot at a lot.

Honest. First rule. Builds customer confidence and creates a secure environment in your home away from home.
    The Bad Batch likely knows who it is there dealing with who they are and what they stand for.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh no. Writing new characters. The horror.

28. - Top - End - #178
    Ogre in the Playground

DruidGirl

I admit I messed up with this reply.
    Apologies still feel it was sub par, but yes I screwed that up!
    Last edited by Hopeless; 2021-07-10 at 11:17 AM.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by Hopeless
    I admit I messed up with this reply.
    Not sure what you mean, no judgement here.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    Oh no. Writing new characters. The horror.
    The horror is in the dangling threads. "Oh look, ANOTHER padawon escaped order 66. When's HE going to show back up again?"

With Duun, at least, there's no expectation that the fledgeling jedi will join our merry band and make this ANOTHER show about exploring the mysteries of the force.
    Last edited by Rakaydos; 2021-07-10 at 05:04 PM.