A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Default Re: New kids in the class. Let's watch and discuss, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    I guess Dr. Polaski doesn't get a lot of love in the fandom. Maybe I'm too used to grumpy doctors that she didn't really bother me much as a character. Definitely not a fav, but not against her either.
    In my experience, "TV Grumpy" only works if you have other redeeming characteristics. That makes it a natural choice to give your Grumpy character an altruistic occupation (doctor, firefighter, teacher, somebody who helps people), because BOOM, you've got baked-in sympathy and can make them grumpy without necessarily requiring too much charisma in the portrayal.

However, you still need some charisma no matter how altruistic the occupation, because this is a TV show and the acting has to be good and make sense. Pulaski never made sense for me: she always stuck out in the scene, didn't seem to fit, didn't seem to "get it" with the rest of the crew. Star Trek: TNG's whole schtick was idealism -- every single main character is a good person, who tries their best, and the worst they ever do is process some complicated emotions improperly. There's really just no room for cynics.

Pulaski would probably make sense in another show, but in TNG her cardinal sin was "not fitting in."
    Last edited by Ionathus; Yesterday at 09:56 AM.

2. - Top - End - #392
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: New kids in the class. Let's watch and discuss, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Season 2 Episode 19
    Manhunt
    Stardate: 42859.2

[Plot]
    the crew pick up some fish people to go to a conference. then the crew end up picking up Lwaxana Troi. who has decided to flirt with and chase after Picard, who decides to hide in the holodeck. later a few others join him, including Mrs. Troi.

also turns out the fish people are planning to blow something up. thanks to Mrs. Troi and her sensing talents

[Rating]
    ?

{Episode Commentary}
    i don't how to really rate this episode because I am not sure whether I am supposed to take it seriously or not. Mrs. Troi has a thing, and Picard hides away in a Dixon Hill Holoprogram, while the fish guys hang around in the background. Then there is the whole conference, which is not discussed at all, making the fish people wanting to blow up there, not make any sense at all. Why do have the delegates from the fish people? why is the conference happening?

the whole episode is just about Mrs Troi, doing things. I just don't know, is this episode intended to be serious? comedic? just completely random? Yeah....

So? Do fellow playgrounders agree? Disagree? Comments of your own? Get some discussing going on

Trackers)
    Prime Directive Hell: 1
    Q Messes with the Crew, For Laughs: 1
    Doctor Who timey-wimey Destructo Enterprise Disco: 1
    Klingon Rituals/Rites: 1
    Poker Playing: 1
    Gene Roddenberry ruins Star Trek: 3 (Prime Directive)
    Redshirts Actually wearing a Redshirt Deaths: 1
    Hidden Gems: 4
    Funny Guest Star Appearances: 3 ()
    Rank of Miles: Ensign, Two Gold Pips
    Prime Directives: 2
    Patrick Stewart Speech: 4 (Did I miss an earlier one? I don't think so)
    Riker "Patrick Stewart Speech": 1
    Riker Romances Something/Someone: 2
    Pithy Aesops: 1
    Klingon Proverbs/Beliefs/Sentiments: 1) Drink not with thine enemy; A) Several in the Episode, "Heart of Glory";
    Worfed (Worf loses to establish danger): 2
    Holodeck Mishaps/Breakings/Issues: 1
    Actually Alien Aliens: 1
    Lore's Appearances: 1
    *Data's Emotions: 3
    *Troi Troubles: 1
    *Money Matters: 1
    Polarize the Phase Inverters: 1
    1) Dr. P is mean to Data: 2
    2) Dr. P does what she does to Data and NO ONE calls her out on her disrespectful behavior towards an officer of Starfleet that has been commissioned:
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)

3. - Top - End - #393
    Ogre in the Playground

Any episode with Diana's mother Lwaxana Troi should be handled the same way Picard does, by running and hiding. She is the only thing in the Galaxy that Picard truly fears.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

4. - Top - End - #394
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Pulaski would probably make sense in another show, but in TNG her cardinal sin was "not fitting in."
    Fair assessment. I went back to look at her episodes and refresh my memory; I can see how she doesn't quite gel with the rest of the cast. Like, she's McCoy's grump but without the heart.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    Any episode with Diana's mother Lwaxana Troi should be handled the same way Picard does, by running and hiding. She is the only thing in the Galaxy that Picard truly fears.
    Isn't Lwaxana's actress also the voice of the ship's computer? I know she's been around forever in the Trek circles.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races
    Avatar by me - Sparks, kobold wizard

5. - Top - End - #395
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DigoDragon View Post
    Isn't Lwaxana's actress also the voice of the ship's computer? I know she's been around forever in the Trek circles.
    You are indeed correct Majel Barrett Roddenberry was the voice of the ships computer.
    Nale is no more, he has ceased to be, his hit points have dropped to negative ten, all he was is now dust in the wind, he is not Daniel Jackson dead, he is not Kenny dead, he is final dead, he will not pass through death's revolving door, his fate will not be undone because the executives renewed his show for another season. His time had run out, his string of fate has been cut, the blood on the knife has been wiped. He is an Ex-Nale! Now can we please resume watching the Order save the world.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Vukodlak View Post
    You are indeed correct Majel Barrett Roddenberry was the voice of the ships computer.
    Also a bunch of other roles, most notably Nurse Chapel from TOS, and the first officer (what was her name?) in the TOS-pilot.

7. - Top - End - #397
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

Holy crap, Lwaxana Troi was married to Gene Roddenberry and involved all over the Star Trek franchise
    Last edited by Ionathus; Today at 10:40 AM.