New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 29 FirstFirst ... 151617181920212223242526272829 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: New kids in the class. Let's watch and discuss, Star Trek: The Next Generation

Quote Originally Posted by tomandtish View Post
    The other side of that coin (which I remember being discussed a LOT at the time and a few years after) was that it also alerted the Borg to the presence of Humans. And since they jacked into the computers they know whereto find them. So it gave the Federation a heads up, but it also did the same to the Borg.

Of course, this was all undone by Voyager and Seven's parents.
    Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    Didn't they say in the episode that the energy signatures matched some they had found on federation worlds where entire cities had been stolen? I got the impression the Borg where well aware of the federation.
    Wasn't the first "foreshadowing of the Borg" in the Season One final episode The Neutral Zone, before the Season Two episode Q, Who?

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki...Zone_(episode)

"This is the first episode in which the Borg are mentioned, although at this point, they are only an unknown (and therefore unnamed) entity which has been destroying starbases."
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-21 at 03:49 PM.
    Marut-2 Avatar by Serpentine
    New Marut Avatar by Linkele

2. - Top - End - #722
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Default Re: New kids in the class. Let's watch and discuss, Star Trek: The Next Generation

That might have been what I'm thinking about, I think they reference it in the episode as well by with the energy signature line.

3. - Top - End - #723

Quote Originally Posted by Spacewolf View Post
    That might have been what I'm thinking about, I think they reference it in the episode as well by with the energy signature line.
    From the Q Who? episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    RIKER: Why?
    Q: Why? Why, to give you a taste of your future, a preview of things to come. Con permiso, Capitan. The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance.
    (Q vanishes)
    PICARD: Guinan, your people have been in this part of the galaxy.
    GUINAN: Yes.
    RIKER: What can you tell us?
    GUINAN: Only that if I were you, I'd start back now.
    Captain's log, stardate 42761.9. Despite Guinan's warning, I feel compelled to investigate this unexplored sector of the galaxy before heading back.

WORF: Captain, the sixth planet in the system is Class M.
    DATA: There is a system of roads on this planet, which indicates a highly industrialised civilisation. But where there should be cities there are only great rips in the surface.
    WORF: It is as though some great force just scooped all the machine elements off the face of the planet.
    DATA: It is identical to what happened to the outposts along the Neutral Zone.

WORF: Captain, we are being probed.
    RIKER: What is the source of the probe?
    WORF: A ship. It is on an intercept course.
    PICARD: On screen. Magnify.
    Last edited by hamishspence; 2022-08-21 at 04:19 PM.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    From the Q Who? episode:

Spoiler
    Show
    RIKER: Why?
    Q: Why? Why, to give you a taste of your future, a preview of things to come. Con permiso, Capitan. The hall is rented, the orchestra engaged. It's now time to see if you can dance.
    (Q vanishes)
    PICARD: Guinan, your people have been in this part of the galaxy.
    GUINAN: Yes.
    RIKER: What can you tell us?
    GUINAN: Only that if I were you, I'd start back now.
    Captain's log, stardate 42761.9. Despite Guinan's warning, I feel compelled to investigate this unexplored sector of the galaxy before heading back.

WORF: Captain, the sixth planet in the system is Class M.
    DATA: There is a system of roads on this planet, which indicates a highly industrialised civilisation. But where there should be cities there are only great rips in the surface.
    WORF: It is as though some great force just scooped all the machine elements off the face of the planet.
    DATA: It is identical to what happened to the outposts along the Neutral Zone.

WORF: Captain, we are being probed.
    RIKER: What is the source of the probe?
    WORF: A ship. It is on an intercept course.
    PICARD: On screen. Magnify.
    Yea that's what I was thinking of. Been quite abit since I've seen it.

5. - Top - End - #725

In Star Trek Enterprise (the Season 2 episode Regeneration)

Spoiler
    Show
    some survivors from the Borg Queen's force in First Contact, send out a message before being destroyed - and that's implied to be what set the Borg off and heading in the direction of the Federation.

6. - Top - End - #726

BlackDragon

Quote Originally Posted by hamishspence View Post
    In Star Trek Enterprise (the Season 2 episode Regeneration)

Spoiler
    Show
    some survivors from the Borg Queen's force in First Contact, send out a message before being destroyed - and that's implied to be what set the Borg off and heading in the direction of the Federation.
    Given we know the Borg can travel 7000 light years in a couple of years from Q Who (it takes about that long for the Borg cube to get to Federation space from where Q dumps the Enterprise, and it's implied to be the same cube), why would it take so long for a signal to reach them?

7. - Top - End - #727
    Barbarian in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    Given we know the Borg can travel 7000 light years in a couple of years from Q Who (it takes about that long for the Borg cube to get to Federation space from where Q dumps the Enterprise, and it's implied to be the same cube), why would it take so long for a signal to reach them?
    We do see other subspace messages taking a long time whenever the plot requires it. I think the actual canon explanation is the requirement for a network of subspace repeaters if you want fast messages. Thus, within Federation space, communication is usually real-time, whereas our heroes at the frontiers of known space are often out of luck and have to make their own decisions without advice from Starfleet Command. Also, technology seems to have improved over time, the Borg communicator, improvised from rudimentary pre-Federation tech, probably was not as good as the best we have seen on the show.

8. - Top - End - #728
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Season 3 Episode 17
    Sins of the Father
    Stardate: 43685.2

[Plot]
    The enterprise welcomes Kurn, a Klingon officer to return the exchange that was done by commander Riker. Kurn shakes things up a little bit, but spends his time being patronizing to Worf.

the crew complain some

Worf confronts Kurn, who confesses that he is Worf's younger brother. Kurn got himself assigned to the enterprise to meet Worf. This is due to the fact the Mogh, the father of Worf and Kurn, has been accused of aiding the attack on Khitomar/Khitomer.

Picard takes the ship to Kronos/Qo'nos, where the council does it thing. Duras, an enemy of Worf, makes the accusations. Picard sets about gathering evidence.

K'mpec/K'mpc, head of the empire, tells Worf to go away and make no effort. Worf doesn't get why. Kurn meets with what ends up being Duras, who tries to kill him. Kurn survives, naturally.

Picard takes on the role of Worf's second, and compiles the evidence. He finds Worf's wetnurse, and brings to K'mpec/K'mpc, after Picard fights off some thugs of Duras.

The arrival of Worf's wetnurse shakes up K'mpec/K'mpc. The entire thing which Mogh is accused of was done by the Father of Duras. That makes things more clear but still troublesome.

Worf decides to accept discommendation to get things going. He does backhand Duras though.

K'mpec/K'mpc says that Worf's heart is Klingon.

[Rating]
    5 - Excelent episode: Episode excels in most or all ways - major character development, good story and so on

{Episode Commentary}
    this is the first episode to introduce to us the structure of the Klingon Empire. We see the leader with the cape of bling, and the council chambers. We get to meet one of our major players to shape future events, Duras. And Worf takes the first steps to directly have a hand in shaping the future of the Klingon Empire.

this episode will go on to affect the entire rest of the franchise. The Borg are frankly more like a hurricane or tornado and really don't count for anything. Plus, beating the Borg requires cheating every time. It makes them terrible characters.

The Klingons, however, can be fought in combat, and can also be challenged using intelligence. The same can be said of the Romulans and the Cardassians. These three, Klingon and Romluan and Cardassian, are the major players that will go on to influence the Franchise. They will appear to cause trouble in later seasons and also in Deep Space Nine and Voyager. A future ancestor of Duras will show up in Enterprise.

The franchise is not the same after this episode. You can't get around Worf taking Discommendation and feature any Klingons, because it will have to be addressed. Then, we learn about the shady dealings that happen too, for an Empire, as Picard says, holds honor so dear.

the leader of the Empire is played by none than the Klingon general from Movie 5. He shows up here, looking fairly close to the same too. which can lead to some speculation that the two Klingons might be related in some way.

So? Do fellow playgrounders agree? Disagree? Comments of your own? Get some discussing going on

Trackers)
    The Universe/Franchise shook and was changed: 2
    I HATE the Borg and wish they were never thought up: 1 (their first episode)
    Picard's Gifts: 1
    Prime Directive Hell: 1
    Q Messes with the Crew, For Laughs: 1
    Doctor Who timey-wimey Destructo Enterprise Disco: 2
    Klingon Rituals/Rites: 1
    Poker Playing: 2
    Gene Roddenberry ruins Star Trek: 4 ()
    Redshirts Actually wearing a Redshirt Deaths: 1
    Hidden Gems: 7
    Funny Guest Star Appearances: 8 (the Klingon General from Star Trek 5)
    Rank of Miles:
    Prime Directives: 3
    Patrick Stewart Speech: 4 (Did I miss an earlier one? I don't think so)
    Riker "Patrick Stewart Speech": 1
    Riker Romances Something/Someone: 3
    Pithy Aesops: 1
    Klingon Proverbs/Beliefs/Sentiments: 1) Drink not with thine enemy; A) Several in the Episode, "Heart of Glory"; Klingons know how to deal with spies ; honor matters a great deal;
    Worfed (Worf loses to establish danger): 2
    Holodeck Mishaps/Breakings/Issues: 1
    Actually Alien Aliens: 1
    Lore's Appearances: 1
    *Data's Emotions: 3
    *Troi Troubles: 1
    *Money Matters: 1
    Polarize the Phase Inverters: 1
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!

My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)
    (Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I remember the ending of this episode very clearly. They just let the cameras roll on the somber scene that follows Worf's discommendation. It packed a lot of oomph and really showed how far Worf was willing to go to do what he thought was necessary.

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Season 3 Episode 18
    Allegiance
    Stardate:

[Plot]
    picard gets replaced by an imposter

[Rating]
    1 - Bad episode: Multiple weaknesses (bad acting, bad story, disasterous effects, poor connection to lore)

{Episode Commentary}
    there is nothing interesting about this episode. which is really sad because the plot of having picard get replaced by an imposter could have been well done. but we don't get that

i think that cutting to picard, the real one, makes it more a question of if the crew figures it out. also, it tells the audience which means that we don't take what happens seriously. the impostor reveal should have only happened when picard escaped because it would have left thinking that picard was doing the stuff.

then, i don't think that the other part works with picard in the room. the whole thing manages to be boring and not interesting. i can't figure out why. maybe because all of them get to working together real fast.

the two plots just don't work together even though you need both to do the episode.

So? Do fellow playgrounders agree? Disagree? Comments of your own? Get some discussing going on

Trackers)
    Funny Guest Star Appearances: 8 (the Klingon General from Star Trek 5)
    Rank of Miles:
    Klingon Proverbs/Beliefs/Sentiments: 1) Drink not with thine enemy; A) Several in the Episode, "Heart of Glory"; Klingons know how to deal with spies ; honor matters a great deal;

(Yes, I happen to despise Game of Thrones, and the Book Series it is based on. I am Team Wight/Other. Kill all those humans!)

11. - Top - End - #731
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by factotum View Post
    They had to find someone to assimilate a quantum slipstream drive from.

12. - Top - End - #732
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Season 3 Episode 18
    Allegiance
    Was this the episode with the aliens who didn't understand why abducting people was wrong until Captain Picard trapped them in a force field?
    "Nothing you can't spell will ever work." - Will Rogers

Watch me draw and swear at video games.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

Yep, that's the one. Definitely a forgettable episode, though I'd give it a 2 instead of a 1. It's no "Code of Honor."
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I always quite liked this one personally. The ending is a bit cheesy along with the fake Picard stuff, but everything with Picard in the cell is pretty good. We get to see why Picard is captain of the Federation flagship - even out of his element he instinctively takes charge and brings together a disparate group of people who would have found up fighting if not for him.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

well, it takes two plots and staples it together. one plot is the imposter and one is real picard in a cell. the imposter story is not interesting enough to work, especially knowing that picard is in a cell somewhere. so you always know that it is not really picard, which takes out all of the drama of what happened during the imposter's time.

the picard in a cell plot had workable material, but fails because it cuts away for us to follow the imposter. that doesn't allow for that much time to develop things.

the story should have been only about the imposter with the crew trying to figure out if something is going on along with the audience following along with them.

then, the picard in a cell could have been expanded to explore more of the dynamics and see the effects, maybe more of the testing and what the aliens were trying to do by sticking picard in a cell. Maybe discussions about what Picard and the other cell types were doing?

Instead we get the garbage that we get. We learn bits and pieces about Picard from his cell thing, and everything about Picard on the ship is basically the imposter and so can't be seen as legititmately what Picard would do.

But if the reveal that Picard was replaced had only occurred at the end, then we would have spent time trying to determine if Picard was acting normal or in some interesting way or who knows, but we would have trying to make sense of it along with the crew. given how it goes, the mystery is more about how the crew could be so stupid to not realize that Picard is not acting like himself. We know that there is an imposter and so the fact that the crew can't figure that out, makes them really stupid looking. Including Deanna, who should be able to sense that Picard has been replaced entirely.

then, there is the plot in the cell, which could have been interesting more so, by exploring the different styles of leadership or something or something else.

Really, putting the two plots together simply doesn't work as intended and brings down the episode in my opinion from being just a poor episode to a bad one, because there are so many things that could have been done to improve it in general and keep the sense of mystery or whatever the writers were going for.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    But if the reveal that Picard was replaced had only occurred at the end, then we would have spent time trying to determine if Picard was acting normal or in some interesting way or who knows, but we would have trying to make sense of it along with the crew. given how it goes, the mystery is more about how the crew could be so stupid to not realize that Picard is not acting like himself. We know that there is an imposter and so the fact that the crew can't figure that out, makes them really stupid looking. Including Deanna, who should be able to sense that Picard has been replaced entirely.
    Classic TOS episodes like The Enterprise Incident (Kirk is operating under sealed orders, and thus very irrational) and What Are Little Girls Made Of? (Kirk is an replaced by an android duplicate) show how this sort of episode can be done well. There's a couple of TNG episodes that do it a lot better as well, but I can't remember what season they're in.

17. - Top - End - #737
    Spamalot in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    Was this the episode with the aliens who didn't understand why abducting people was wrong until Captain Picard trapped them in a force field?
    I was about to Google this episode because literally that was the only scene I remember from it. XD

So yeah, easily forgettable.
    Digo Dragon - Artist
    D&D 5e Homebrew: My Little Pony Races

18. - Top - End - #738
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Honestly, I think this episode was made just so Patrick Stewart could sing a song and act goofy for half an episode. They throw an episode like this in for the serious characters every once in a while so they can break out of their boring mold.
    Last edited by KillianHawkeye; 2022-09-12 at 10:40 AM.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Season 3 Episode 19
    Captain's Holiday
    Stardate: 43745.

[Plot]
    Picard needs a vacation according to everybody else, but he doesn't think so. Then, he finds out that Troi's mom will be visiting. A vacation sounds like a good idea now.

Riker conspires to help out the captain by getting him to acquire a local piece of art that has a special meaning. Picard agrees, Not knowing although Riker being Riker (A ladies man), he ought to realized something. Eh

When arriving on planet, Picard gets a kiss from some woman, who then claims mistaken identity. There are some aliens who are watching, that were looking for him earlier in the episode.

Picard goes to read his book at the pool, and gets visits thanks to the local piece of art that Riker told him to get. Picard hides it away, after learning what it means. He gets a visit from a Ferengi. who was in the lobby earlier

The Ferengi tells Picard to avoid having to do anything with a woman, and quietly does a little threatening. Picard won't take no crap. The Ferengi slinks off

The woman that kissed Picard makes a reappearance. She talks to him some, before leaving after the Ferengi comes back.

Picard goes to his room to find some aliens, the ones from earlier, there. They tell him some things.

Like that they are looking for something called the Tox Uthat, and that Picard will find it. The woman ends up being Vash, who is looking for it too. And the Ferengi, who Vash cut in on the deal.

Picard and Vash go find the Tox Uthat, which is capable of according to techno-babble in stopping nuclear fusion in a star. Basically a superweapon. Picard and Vash do some digging.

There were a couple of scenes that happen after the aliens show up in Picard's room and when Picard and Vash go to dig. basically covers that the Ferengi is Sovak, and that Vash cut him in originally. Also, that Vash worked for an archeaologist named Dr. Samuels

After an unsuccessful dig, and Sovak, who accosted Picard and Vash getting angry, Picard says that the Tox Uthat is not there. Picard and Vash leave while Sovak keeps digging.

Which is true, in that Vash already found. The aliens show up again, being Vorgons, who tried to steal the item earlier. Picard blows it up, after some events like Vash getting shot.

The Vorgons leave, and Vash decides to go to another place to dig. Which Picard warns her about.

Picard, who gets back to the ship, is asked about his vacation by Riker. He mumbles and Riker says that Picard had fun.

4 - Good episode: A few parts of the episode are above average - good plot points, clever use of effects and so on.

{Episode Commentary}
    This is probably one of the better episodes of Season 3, and we get to see how much Archeology interests the Captain. Also, we meet Vash for the first time.

Given the time travel equipment available to the Vorgons, It is pretty clear that they are going to try again. So there may be an alternate timeline in which Picard doesn't destroy the Tox Uthat and that they are able to obtain. How that would play out, is probably anybody's guess.

Vash does develop a fast friendship with Picard and it appears, by the standards of the time, to be a budding relationship.

Of course, mention must be made of Picard in swimsuit and being shirtless. That became a meme, possibly.

I think this episode really improves matters after leaving last episode. it is clearly of better quality.

Also to note is that Sovak is played the actor that played Rom in Deep Space 9. Probably one of the things that got him the role for Rom.

Trackers)
    Funny Guest Star Appearances: 9 (Rom from Deep Space 9)
    Rank of Miles:

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yeah, a lot of the Ferengi characters in DS9 started off as minor Ferengis in a TNG episode or two, even Quark actor Armin Shimerman.

As for this episode, it's a fun one. Vash is exactly the kind of character that's fun but still puts Picard out of his comfort zone. They make a good couple, I think. Too bad she has so few appearances.

I remember when this episode aired and people were saying that it put a little bit of Captain Kirk into Picard's normally reserved persona. So he's out here showing his chest hair, punching an alien, and kissing the girl, but he does it all in his own way. And even though he's super reluctant to go on this vacation, in the end he's able to loosen up and have an adventure. Some good character development here.

Also, was this the first time they go to Risa?

21. - Top - End - #741
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Season 3 Episode 20
    Tin Man
    Stardate: 43779.3

[Plot]
    the crew are doing some mission when they get a message to do something else. the crew are to escort a Federation person, a mission specialist, to communicate with an alien. the romulans are involved as well

the mission specialist is Tam elbrun, someone that Troi worked with. Tam was involved in some past problem event. Tam is strongly telepathic and so hears everything

Tam gets along with Data really well

the alien is an alien ship that is orbiting a star. the romulans show up and try to speak to the alien. it fails so they attack it. Tam, who has been in contact with the alien, warns it. the alien destroys a romulan ship. another ship vows revenge

picard learns about Tam and has to let Tam go on the alien ship. Tam communicates with the alien ship, which is gomtuu. gomtuu and Tam leave, Data returns to the ship, and the ship goes on to the next mission

[Rating]
    4 - Good episode: A few parts of the episode are above average - good plot points, clever use of effects and so on.

{Episode Commentary}
    so this is a first contact episode, and it is very well done. There is also some exploration of Data and how he gets perceived by some, and some about differences. The interactions between Tam and Data are really good. The interactions with Gomtuu, the alien is also good.

This episode was apparently based on story that got modified. As a result, it happens to be rather well done, and the story goes along quite nicely. I would say that it is a pretty good episode.

The bit with the romulans is a bit meh, but there needed to be some kind of opponent for the crew to have, and the romulans fit the bill. It is nice to know the name of their ship, which is said here. the D'Deridex, I believe.

Trackers)
    Rank of Miles:
    Actually Alien Aliens: 2

22. - Top - End - #742
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

Yes, this episode is good, but after having watched Buffy the Vampire Slayer, I can never stop thinking about Tam being the same guy who played the evil Mayor.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Ogre in the Playground

This episode didn't make a strong impression on me either way. It's always nice when Trek springs for an alien life form that's non-humanoid for a change, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2D8HP View Post
    Work is the scourge of the gaming classes!
    Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Neither Evershifting List of Perfectly Prepared Spells nor Grounds to Howl at the DM If I Ever Lose is actually a wizard class feature.

24. - Top - End - #744

Quote Originally Posted by Velaryon View Post
    It's always nice when Trek springs for an alien life form that's non-humanoid for a change, though.
    I also enjoy a good alien encounter with something actually alien rather than humanoid. Though thanks to Mass Effect I can't help but see some similarities between this alien 'ship' and the Reapers. Heh. :P
    Digo Dragon - Artist

25. - Top - End - #745
    Titan in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

So I've been rewatching the Next Generation first season, and I just discovered that Star Trek predicted the recent trend of social deception games decades in advance!

In the episode, the Enterprise hosts two hostile alien factions who, while supposedly on their way to a peace conference, spend the entire time aboard the ship sneaking around trying to kill each other. Meanwhile, an energy-based lifeform infects members of the crew, sabotaging the ship and killing at least one person. AND the situation doesn't get resolved until the impostor is found out and sent into space.

The name of the episode?

Spoiler
    Show
    Lonely Among Us

COINCIDENCE??????

26. - Top - End - #746
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye View Post
    So I've been rewatching the Next Generation first season, and I just discovered that Star Trek predicted the recent trend of social deception games decades in advance!

In the episode, the Enterprise hosts two hostile alien factions who, while supposedly on their way to a peace conference, spend the entire time aboard the ship sneaking around trying to kill each other. Meanwhile, an energy-based lifeform infects members of the crew, sabotaging the ship and killing at least one person. AND the situation doesn't get resolved until the impostor is found out and sent into space.

The name of the episode?

Spoiler
    Show
    Lonely Among Us

COINCIDENCE??????
    I like that! We may have an Among Us themed pumpkin on our porch right now.

27. - Top - End - #747
    Titan in the Playground

Originally Posted by russdm
    …so this is a first contact episode, and it is very well done.
    Interesting to see the relatively lukewarm reactions to this one. For me, it’s always been one of my top-five TNG episodes. There’s a poignancy to it which TNG often attempted, but rarely achieved so well.

And I watched it when it first aired, so didn’t have some of the later associations with unrelated properties.

Originally Posted by KillianHawkeye
    …the recent trend of social deception games….
    First I’d heard of this, since it’s been many years since I’ve paid attention to video games.

I’m surprised to hear that Werewolf and Mafia are considered “80s and 90s” games, since they’re still played in some of my recent gaming groups, along with a Firefly-themed variant.

28. - Top - End - #748
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Season 3 Episode 21
    Hollow Pursuits
    Stardate: 43807.4

[Plot]
    So we meet Barclay who likes to use the holodeck with his crewmembers doing things. when not in the holodeck, Barclay is shy and timid. something happens with a canister. the crew work to get Barclay to be part.

[Rating]
    3 - Average episode: OK to watch, but nothing amazing. This should be the default score.
    but has
    1 - Bad episode: Multiple weaknesses (bad acting, bad story, disasterous effects, poor connection to lore)
    in it

{Episode Commentary}
    this episode is basically being about the crew to get someone to work along side them but

the parts in the holodeck and what Barclay does with his crewmembers would never fly today given what he does with his female crewmembers and the use of their likeness without having their approval. the holodeck parts age very badly and are really unacceptable. it would have been more fine at the time when the episode originally aired

Trackers)
    Rank of Miles:
    Actually Alien Aliens: 2

29. - Top - End - #749
    Ettin in the Playground

Even when this episode was new, what Barclay was doing is Not Okay. The show explores this more in the next season.

30. - Top - End - #750

Starfleet HR is apparently very forgiving. I would have expected Barkley to be discharged.
    Digo Dragon - Artist