Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

As an FYI, I hope nobody feels I am playing Johnny as a jerk. I just feel the corporate theme for AI, is kind of interesting to juxtapose a real sense of legality into D&D fantasy tropes. Like adventurer's basically being hired murderers, so I am trying to play counter to that, though that may all change when they start trying to kill us, heh.

Anyways, if you want me to tone it down, I will.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Prime View Post
    As an FYI, I hope nobody feels I am playing Johnny as a jerk. I just feel the corporate theme for AI, is kind of interesting to juxtapose a real sense of legality into D&D fantasy tropes. Like adventurer's basically being hired murderers, so I am trying to play counter to that, though that may all change when they start trying to kill us, heh.

I will murder them with flavor or food poisoning
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2021-04-22 at 04:59 PM.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

3. - Top - End - #63
    Dwarf in the Playground

I quite like it. Lady Harrington has very... Different opinions
    DMing:
    - Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final): IC | OOC
    - Slums, Sewers & Dark, Dank Dungeons: IC | OOC

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ogre in the Playground

My only issue with the ring as payment is how to turn it into cash - given a small town like Waymoot, there's likely very few people who could buy it off us.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ogre in the Playground

While it's not ideal, if we are keeping loot collected so we have more liquid funds available, it is sufficient as payment. There are a number of spells, looking at you Revivify & Stoneskin, that require obscene amounts of Diamond dust or gemstones, so saving up for those wouldn't hurt us. Or we could use it as collateral for business loans to expand the franchise.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

There was a roc in the ditch? CR 11 is a bit high for a 2nd level party isnt it

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm more curious about what this Lord would have done if his son slipped and fell while trying to get a cat out of a tree? Kill the cat?

Johnny is trying, actively, not to laugh right now.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm more curious about what this Lord would have done if his son slipped and fell while trying to get a cat out of a tree? Kill the cat?

Johnny is trying, actively, not to laugh right now.
    He is having that patch of grass burnt at the stake and the rock jailed.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Titan in the Playground

All good. As long as her doesn't try to stop us mid-combat from potentially doing lethal damage to enemies.

@PoR:

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

I'm good to move on.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    All good. As long as her doesn't try to stop us mid-combat from potentially doing lethal damage to enemies.
    Nah, Johnny will just try to think outside of the box, to give ourselves options other than go in gun's blazing. Once combat is engaged, and his companions lives are on the line, he'll be your staunchest ally.

Now, as for the prisoner? I just wanna say, called it, Wellington isn't acting like a tactician. And I kind of don't want to see this kid executed, but I've no way to get the Lord to drop, or lessen the charges, we're new to town and have very little leverage.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Ettin in the Playground

smile Re: [OOC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

Nah, Johnny will just try to think outside of the box, to give ourselves options other than go in gun's blazing. Once combat is engaged, and his companions lives are on the line, he'll be your staunchest ally.

Now, as for the prisoner? I just wanna say, called it, Wellington isn't acting like a tactician. And I kind of don't want to see this kid executed, but I've no way to get the Lord to drop, or lessen the charges, we're new to town and have very little leverage.
    Well, we could always bring in the actual bandit leader and maybe get this guy released but that's not really a solution to avoiding people getting executed for a stupid coincidence.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

What is the legality of slavery in this area?

14. - Top - End - #74
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by tigerusthegreat View Post
    What is the legality of slavery in this area?
    Slavery is not legal in Cormyr but it is legal in lands near by (such as Amn to the west and Westgate (a city right across the Lake of Dragons).
    DMing:

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SunsetWaraxe View Post
    Slavery is not legal in Cormyr but it is legal in lands near by (such as Amn to the west and Westgate (a city right across the Lake of Dragons).
    What about indentured servitude as a punishment? I'm trying to figure out a way to get the prisoner out of this predicament in a way that's going to be satisfactory for the murder paladin.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Dwarf in the Playground

What about indentured servitude as a punishment? I'm trying to figure out a way to get the prisoner out of this predicament in a way that's going to be satisfactory for the murder paladin.
    Indentured servitude is acceptable in Cormyr.
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-27 at 08:40 PM.
    DMing:

17. - Top - End - #77

AssassinGuy

Im good to move on from the prisoner unless anyone else has something to add

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ogre in the Playground

I did want to ask about the merchant, works been crazy and I've been unable to stay on top of my games, so if my question gets missed my own fault, and we'll have to ask his companions. That could work too.

Sorry for the delay.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Ogre in the Playground

Likewise apologising for the delay in posting - I'm back at work now after being off for a while on medical leave, and things are a bit hectic. The weekend also ended up being busier than I expected.

@SunsetWaraxe: being a Sembian native herself (and a former criminal), can Lily make some kind of check to see if she recognises the bodyguards from Dustin's description?

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dexam View Post
    Likewise apologising for the delay in posting - I'm back at work now after being off for a while on medical leave, and things are a bit hectic. The weekend also ended up being busier than I expected.

@SunsetWaraxe: being a Sembian native herself (and a former criminal), can Lily make some kind of check to see if she recognises the bodyguards from Dustin's description?
    As a native of Sembia, you believe these masked and hooded figures are members of the Fire Knives, a band of Assassins that operates out of Westgate (a city state to the south of both Cormyr and Sembia). The assassins have become an increasing problem within the merchant houses of Sembia, as old rivalries and bitter disputes end in covert murder.
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-05-03 at 08:54 PM.
    DMing:

21. - Top - End - #81
    Dwarf in the Playground

So where to now?
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #82
    Ettin in the Playground

So where to now?
    Amos's only goal is to restock any ingredients he needs, and do some kitchen work when we get back to the HQ to prep for the journey.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ogre in the Playground

As a native of Sembia, you believe these masked and hooded figures are members of the Fire Knives, a band of Assassins that operates out of Westgate (a city state to the south of both Cormyr and Sembia). The assassins have become an increasing problem within the merchant houses of Sembia, as old rivalries and bitter disputes end in covert murder.
    Thanks! Consider this information passed on In Character to everyone in the party

So where to now?
    If we want to do a bit of a "Get on with it!" time-skip, this is what Lily had planned to do next:
    - Speak with Lady Harrington, let her know that the prisoner has co-operated; if she doesn't get Lord Waymoot to drop ALL charges EXCEPT for horse thievery our deal is off and she can find someone else to look for Ares.
    - Assuming Harrington agrees and gets Lord Waymoot to adjust the charges, get a contract drawn up and deliver it to Harrington to sign & witness; the contract will include the sentencing provisions regarding the prisoner and any other members of Dustin's horse thief gang that we might bring in - we don't want anyone else who doesn't deserve it getting hanged in Dustin's place.
    - Prepare to leave in the morning i.e. make certain weapons, armour, tools, other gear, etc is all clean and in good repair; and make certain we have enough supplies for several days.

Where should we head to first? My vote is we find the gang of horse thieves and speak with them. They might have seen Ares, or at the very least get further info on the Sembian merchant and his bodyguards.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Well, like my character said, I'd like to know if Lady Harrington has any alternative ideas aside from the horsethieves that she didn't focus on before.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll second Lilly's plan, it's well thought out. However, Horse Thieving is no small matter, and could carry a hanging sentence on it's own, depending how draconian the laws are in Cormyr. Now we could make the case the we'll bring in the Sembian who profitted on the crime, and preyed upon the destitute who were denied the Crown's Aid during their time of need, it is a tract me could go with if needed.

26. - Top - End - #86

AssassinGuy

That plan is fine with me, since were in town Im presuming I can buy any mundane gear and artisans tools at listed prices?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground

Amos would agree to the plan, assuming the penalty for horse theft isn't death. If it is, we should at least suggest the prisoner have his sentence 'reduced' to as many years of indentured servitude to us as is appropriate instead since he has been cooperative.

If the penalty is hanging, then I suggest we not kill any of the horse thieves and let them go, and just neglect to mention it. If they are poor peasants, then there's no need to slaughter them.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I'll second Lilly's plan, it's well thought out. However, Horse Thieving is no small matter, and could carry a hanging sentence on it's own, depending how draconian the laws are in Cormyr. Now we could make the case the we'll bring in the Sembian who profitted on the crime, and preyed upon the destitute who were denied the Crown's Aid during their time of need, it is a tract me could go with if needed.
    The problem is that he was literally caught in the act of trying to steal horses, and has confessed to it. If the penalty for that is hanging, we don't have a great deal of wiggle room. Also, as horrible as it sounds, we have to consider that Dustin and the Horse Thieves are not our clients, Lady Harrington is, and Lord Waymoot is a potential future client. It won't look good for Acquisitions Inc if word gets out that we look after random criminals better than our customers.

Re: draconian laws - if we're going by "out of the book" (my current book being the 3.5 Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting), Cormyr's laws are usually quite reasonable. I don't know if SunsetWaraxe is running things differently, or if the current situation with the royal family changes things - if I recall correctly, martial law has been a thing in the past for Cormyr but only for brief periods. I guess we'll wait for the official word from the DM

Amos would agree to the plan, assuming the penalty for horse theft isn't death. If it is, we should at least suggest the prisoner have his sentence 'reduced' to as many years of indentured servitude to us as is appropriate instead since he has been cooperative.

If the penalty is hanging, then I suggest we not kill any of the horse thieves and let them go, and just neglect to mention it. If they are poor peasants, then there's no need to slaughter them.
    We can always suggest indentured servitude to us as a possibility, but if Lord Waymoot doesn't go for it, I suggest indentured servitude to the Church of Red Knight as a possible compromise - not ideal, but it might be mostly agreeable to all parties.
    I also suggest that we try not to kill or capture any of the horse thief gang (if they're definitely not the ones responsible for Ares' disappearance). We're not getting paid for it - if Lord Waymoot or Lady Harrington wants us to round up thieves and bandits, they can approach us with a new contract. At this point in time, they just seem to be a potential source of information regarding the disappearance of Ares; once we have that information, they can go on their merry way.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Dwarf in the Playground

Cormyr's reputation is definitely on the reasonable side. The missing monarch has caused issues but martial law as of yet has not been declared.

EDIT: You definitely get the impression that the capital is panicked but the new regime is trying to put on a strong front to ensure chaos grip the realm as a whole.

Quote Originally Posted by PartyOfRogues View Post
    That plan is fine with me, since were in town Im presuming I can buy any mundane gear and artisans tools at listed prices?
    Definitely.
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-05-04 at 11:55 PM.
    DMing:

30. - Top - End - #90
    Ogre in the Playground

Okay, so what's next?

@SunsetWaraxe: Are you happy with In Character summary posts, to get things moving along? Then we can skip to that evening/next morning/whatever time you consider appropriate?