New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: I'm A Billionaire Now

Quote Originally Posted by Tvtyrant View Post
    In my mind this has slowly morphed into the tandem psychic war elephant from adventure time.
    That was actually based on my diving elephant. Were still in the middle of a lawsuit over character likeness rights.

The elephant is a good lawyer.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2021-04-01 at 12:05 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    That was actually based on my diving elephant. Were still in the middle of a lawsuit over character likeness rights.

The elephant is a good lawyer.
    Yeah but the bills to hire him are mammoth...
    Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Vibranium: If it was on the periodic table, its chemical symbol would be "Bs".

3. - Top - End - #33
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

It's not there anymore, actually. My diving elephant found it.

Also, your projected ROI is off by an order of magnitude.
    Your diving elephants can't get to the crush depth that my Mecha-phaunt 9000 diving-bots can reach.

4. - Top - End - #34

Your diving elephants can't get to the crush depth that my Mecha-phaunt 9000 diving-bots can reach.
    Maybe not but your bots cant dive as gracefully as my Olympic-medal-winning-in-diving elephant!

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Well, the billion dollars is. But Eldan rear-ending my elephant is no laughing matter.
    I believe the following anecdote is appropriate for Forum rules, April Fools, and rear-ending elephants.

When my daughter was little, my wife & I took her to see the elephant at the zoo (while one still can).
    As I went for popcorn, they visited the elephant and my daughter asked my wife “What’s that long thing on the elephant?” My wife answered: “That’s his trunk.” “No Mommy, the other long thing.” “Oh that’s his tail.” “Nooo the long thing underneath.” Flustered, my wife said “Oh that’s nothing, sweetie.”

When I returned my daughter decided to try her luck with me for a better answer.

“Daddy, what’s that long thing on the elephant?” I answered: ”That’s his trunk.” “No Daddy, the other long thing.” “Oh that’s his tail.” “Nooo the long thing underneath.”

I answered the only way a father could and said, “Ask your Mother.” To which my daughter stated that she already did. “And what did she say, honey?” “Mommy said it was nothing.” I turned to my blushing wife and said “You have to understand, sweetheart. You mother’s been spoiled.”
    "We are the people our parents warned us about!" - J.Buffett

6. - Top - End - #36

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    When my daughter was little, my wife & I took her to see the elephant at the zoo (while one still can).
    To be serious for a moment (which I rather dislike), zoos ain't circuses. Modern zoos are primarily geared towards conservation (with robust programs like interbreeding cooperation to help endangered animals maintain a healthy gene pool, for example), and elephants will not be disappearing from zoos anytime in the foreseeable future.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Dwarf in the Playground

Just like my diving elephant did last year!
    Does your elephant have a diver's license? Everyone knows that anyone who lets their elephant dive without a license has to pay a $5 million fee.
    My extended signature

Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

To be serious for a moment (which I rather dislike), zoos ain't circuses. Modern zoos are primarily geared towards conservation (with robust programs like interbreeding cooperation to help endangered animals maintain a healthy gene pool, for example), and elephants will not be disappearing from zoos anytime in the foreseeable future.
    Clearly you've not met the rather vocal young people who feel very strongly about the subject of animals.
    Also a circus is exactly what a modern zoo is. Just without clowns. Or ninjas. Or clown ninjas.

Quote Originally Posted by Scarlet Knight View Post
    I turned to my blushing wife and said “You have to understand, sweetheart. You mother’s been spoiled.”
    One day she'll be old enough to understand that joke. And you'll regret it when paying for the therapy.

That sounds exactly lik C-rate movie form the budget horror section. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mega_S...us_Mecha_Shark
    Movies that make the Sharknado franchise look positively mainstream.

That's great. You might be interested in a speculative venture I've been trying to find backing for, a mission to recover lost pirate gold from bottom of the ocean. I just need 10 million in start-up costs, but it's guaranteed to return at least 10 billion worth of gold and jewels, and you can have half of the profit. That's a 5000x rate of return on your investment!
    Oh I think I saw that show on National Geographic already. Are you oen of the Lagina (spelling?) brothers, Rick and Marty?

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    I'm pretty sure you need fists to participate in a fistfight. Elephants don't have hands, thus no fists.
    Clearly you've not heard of the Neophant.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

and elephants will not be disappearing from zoos anytime in the foreseeable future.
    I think the (while one still can) thing was about that pandemic thing every youngun is blabbering about these days. Back in my days, we had our pokeymans and we catched them uphill in the snow, dagnabit.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Titan in the Playground

This, a zoo's primary functions as far as I understand them are ) help conserve animals and 2) get people excited about animals. There will of course be zoos with questionable methods and motives, but I think it's unfair to apply such labels to all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Clearly you've not met the rather vocal young people who feel very strongly about the subject of animals.
    Also a circus is exactly what a modern zoo is. Just without clowns. Or ninjas. Or clown ninjas.
    To be serious for a moment, I have family in the circus business, and I believe technically in the clowning business (but only family friends as clowns or ninjas). From a modern perspective of the industry it's mostly untrue, circus these days is about human endeavours.

As for zoos being like '[classic' circus in the putting animals on display, it depends on the zoo you're talking about and how you're defining circus in this instance. While I'm not happy with how many zoos keep their animals in relatively small cages, but by circus standards the animals are incredibly well looked after and it's not universal (I know of zoos with relatively large and open enclosures).

The real issue here is animal performance shows, which are still orders of magnitude better than they were back in the days of animal circus. The real question here should be what animals can be included in shows ethically, and if the answer is none then I'll happily never see another sea-lion show.

Yes, there is a valid argument for leaving animals in their natural habitat and not setting them up in zoos, but I also think there's an argument for zoos being used to raise awareness of animal issues and help get children and adults into more animals.

Also if you've never seen modern circus I highly recommend it. Find yourself a smaller show, I personaly recommend one with contact juggling, or watch street jugglers occasionall. Some of the stuff you can see is amazing, and the first time I heard Mongolian throat singing was at a juggling show.
    Snazzy avatar (now back! ) by Honest Tiefling.

RIP Laser-Snail, may you live on in our hearts forever.

Spoiler: playground quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zelphas View Post
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Raziere View Post
    How about a Jovian Uplift stuck in a Case morph? it makes so little sense.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Colossus in the Playground

Yeah, our local zoo just built a gigantic elephant enclosure. Like, so big that most of it can't be seen from outside it.
    Resident Vancian Apologist

12. - Top - End - #42

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    Does your elephant have a diver's license? Everyone knows that anyone who lets their elephant dive without a license has to pay a $5 million fee.
    Fortunately, my diving elephant is not a driving elephant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cazero View Post
    I think the (while one still can) thing was about that pandemic thing every youngun is blabbering about these days. Back in my days, we had our pokeymans and we catched them uphill in the snow, dagnabit.
    Ohhhhhh, that makes much more sense. In that story, the elephant was kind of the elephant in the room, so I instantly thought of that framing instead of covid issues.
    I am one of those rather vocal young people who feel very strongly about the subject of animals.

Well, for loose definitions of "young", anyway.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Dwarf in the Playground

Fortunately, my diving elephant is not a driving elephant.
    Then what were they doing on the road?
    My extended signature

Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

14. - Top - End - #44
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Congrats on your april fools billionaire i guess lol

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    This, a zoo's primary functions as far as I understand them are ) help conserve animals and 2) get people excited about animals. There will of course be zoos with questionable methods and motives, but I think it's unfair to apply such labels to all of them.
    I am one of those rather vocal young people who feel very strongly about the subject of animals.

Well, for loose definitions of "young", anyway.
    The people I am talking about do not make considered judgement calls. Animals + cages = bad, always. And that's the end of thought.

16. - Top - End - #46

Then what were they doing on the road?
    When one walks on a road, their status becomes "pedestrian".
    The people I am talking about do not make considered judgement calls. Animals + cages = bad, always. And that's the end of thought.
    Ah. Extremists.

17. - Top - End - #47

But what if you then ride the elephant? What are you then? A pedestri-equestrian?

18. - Top - End - #48

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    But what if you then ride the elephant? What are you then? A pedestri-equestrian?
    What am I then? Awesome, that's what.

19. - Top - End - #49
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Pachydermian naturally. Like riding a horse makes something equestrian.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Dwarf in the Playground

When one walks on a road, their status becomes "pedestrian".
    So the elephant was jaywalking, then. You know the rules, the first person that catches you gets a $4 million reward from the offender.
    My extended signature

21. - Top - End - #51

So the elephant was jaywalking, then.
    Or was it? Road crossings exist, and jaywalking laws in Birmingham are different than you might expect. In fact, it sounds like you are trying to maliciously prosecute my dear diving elephant. J'ACCUSE!

22. - Top - End - #52
    Dwarf in the Playground

Or was it? Road crossings exist, and jaywalking laws in Birmingham are different than you might expect. In fact, it sounds like you are trying to maliciously prosecute my dear diving elephant. J'ACCUSE!
    My extended signature

23. - Top - End - #53
    Bugbear in the Playground

To be serious for a moment, I have family in the circus business, and I believe technically in the clowning business (but only family friends as clowns or ninjas).
    Do you happen to know any ninja clowns? Because the thought of those actually existing terrifies me.
    LGBTitp

24. - Top - End - #54

So the elephant was jaywalking, then. You know the rules, the first person that catches you gets a $4 million reward from the offender.
    April Fools aside: Jaywalking is only a crime because of a dedicated push by various lobbyists representing the automobile industry to get laws changed to clear out the roads and encourage people to buy cars.

Before, most roads and streets were built for pedestrian traffic and cars were guests on the road. If a car hit a pedestrian, it was assumed by default that the driver of the vehicle was responsible unless it could be proved otherwise.

Jaywalking laws are a combination of victim-blaming(blaming people using the streets as intended for being injured by people using the streets as not intended) and that episode of Hey Arnold where the kids clear out a community-owned vacant lot so they have a place to play baseball and then the adults in the community immediately take it over and ban the kids from playing there so that they can use the space for their own things.

Of course, nowadays many decades later "roads are for cars" is so engrained that overturning that particular bit of garbage would be dangerous.
    I also answer to Bookmark and Shadow Claw.

Read my fanfiction here. Homebrew Material Here Rater Reads the Hobbit and Dracula
    Awesome Avatar by Emperor Ing
    Spoiler: Ode To Meteors, By zimmerwald
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by zimmerwald1915 View Post
    Meteor
    You are a meteor
    Falling star
    You soar your
    Way down the air
    To the floor
    Where my other
    Rocks
    Are.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Troll in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rater202 View Post
    April Fools aside: Jaywalking is only a crime because of a dedicated push by various lobbyists representing the automobile industry to get laws changed to clear out the roads and encourage people to buy cars.
    And that deends on the country - it's not a crime for most roads in the UK.

I tend to think of it as "The car has the right of way in most cases, but that said, the driver really has to make sure that (s)he does not hit the pedestrian".
    There is also talk of chaning the law to give pedestrians the right of way which I consider a mistake - too easy for them to deliberately block traffic.

Back the the thread - some food for thought - all these elephant jokes roc.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, jaywalking isn't a crime in sensible countries. So I'm sure Peeler is fine.

Unless the elephant was drunk. It's still known that you can't be in control of a human (or dragon) while under the influence of alcohol.

Show
    So here I am, trapped in my laboratory, trying to create a Mechabeast that's powerful enough to take down the howling horde outside my door, but also won't join them once it realizes what I've done...twentieth time's the charm, right?

27. - Top - End - #57
    Titan in the Playground

I mean, jaywalking isn't a crime in sensible countries. So I'm sure Peeler is fine.
    Peeler probably is, but Peelee does not live in a sensible country.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingRogueGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dire Moose View Post
    Do you happen to know any ninja clowns? Because the thought of those actually existing terrifies me.
    There is at least one.
    Yes, I am slightly egomaniac. Why didn't you ask?

Free haiku !
    Alas, poor Cookie
    The world needs more platypi
    I wish you could be

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari
    Also this isn’t D&D, flaming the troll doesn’t help either.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Peeler probably is, but Peelee does not live in a sensible country.
    And my attempt at subtlety does right out the window. Tasted far too strong,l maybe I'll use less leaves next time.

Show

30. - Top - End - #60

Well, elephants aren't subtle, especially when they are inside rooms. I hope you learned a lesson.