New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ettin in the Playground

Default The Clockface Gods - Homebrew Pantheon

Below is a homebrewed pantheon that I created yesterday that I really liked, and figured I'd pass on to the forum. Let me know what you think! I took inspiration from different languages to get the names of the Gods, pulling from names of numbers affiliated with that particular God. They also form a color wheel when all put together.

---

The world of Renovarre historically worships a pantheon known as the Clockface Gods. There are 12 Gods within this chief pantheon, with a second grouping known as the Gods without number, which are "lesser Gods" that arose after the chief twelve. Below are the 12 Gods, as well as a few of the lesser deities, though feel free to add your own God to the "Gods without number" if you don't feel attuned to any on the list. Many racial gods fall under the Gods without number, unless the racial God is one of the twelve under another name. Further, many worship the 12 as a whole, not individually.

1. Wander, God of Music and Inspiration- Symbol is of a red-violet flute with 12 holes running its length. Those who worship Wander are creative souls. The word wonder is thought to be derived from Wander. Generally, people who have created amazing things are attributed to having "a touch of Wander" in them. Wander's opposite is Kyu, God of Silence and Secrets.

2. Xarok, God of War and Discord - Symbol is of a red arrow that points in two directions, an arrowhead replacing the side the feathering would be. Xarak is often prayed to for victory or safety prior to a battle. Xarok's opposite is Huitran, God of Peace and Reason.

3. Tolu, God of Death - Symbol is of a red-orange three pointed star. Death is sacred in Renovarre. Someone who worships Tolu is not necessarily evil. Tolu is often prayed to for those who have passed, such as ancestors or slain enemies. Tolu's opposite is Amittun, God of Life.

4. Quantus, God of Trickery and Cunning - Symbol is of an orange serpant, wrapping around a scroll four times. Quantus is a favorite of rogues and actors, though illusionists also think fondly of this God. Quantus is usually blamed when things go wrong, but also prayed to avoid folly as well. Quantus' opposite is Derecies, God of Guidance and Knowledge.

5. Landus, God of Nature - Symbol is of a tree with 5 branches over a yellow-orange circle. Landus is worshiped by many, and a favorite for farmers and fishermen praying for bountiful harvest or fruitful quarry. Landus' opposite is Twein, God of Magic.

6. Seren, God of Fortune - Symbol is of a yellow or gold circle, often a coin or something of value. Who wouldn't want to pray for a little luck? Many intone this God for luck, and bad luck is called Seren's wrath. Seren's opposite is Tolv, God of Fate.

7. Kyu, God of Silence and Secrets - Symbol is of a seven lashed eye. Often the eye is closed, but when the symbol of the eye is open, the iris is yellow-green. Kyu isn't a popular God publically, but all have their secret prayers they whisper that Kyu holds close. Kyu's opposite is Wander, God of Music and Inspiration.

8. Huitran, God of Peace and Reason - Symbol is of a moon above a green fountain. The church of Huitran changes out the symbol of the moon with one of 8 symbols, from new moon to full moon and back, depending on the role of the church. When peace has been achieved in the world, it is considered a blessing from Huitran. Huitran's opposite is Xarok, God of War and Discord.

9. Amittun, God of Life - Symbol is of a 9 petaled blue-green flower, often a lotus. Healers tend to worship Amittun. When someone becomes with child, its commonly said that they've been blessed by Amittun. Amittun's opposite is Tolu, God of Death.

10. Derecies, God of Guidance and Knowledge - Symbol is of a blue "X", signifying roads crossing. Travelers, scholars, teachers and more revere Derecies, and many attribute the number ten to him, which is believed why math in Seregen is quantified in tens. Derecies' opposite is Quantus, God of Trickery and Cunning.

11. Twein, God of Magic - Symbol is of a blue-violet hourglass, with 6 stars in the top circle, and 5 in the bottom. Twein is worshiped by many who practice magic, but is also attributed to for many of the magical oddities in the world. Things people can't explain tend to be attributed to Twein. Twein's opposite is Landus, God of Nature.

12. Tolv, God of Fate - Symbol is of a black wheel, crossed with 6 lines, or 12 spokes, the top spoke is violet. This symbol is also used for those who worship the twelves as a whole with either the entire wheel black, or each spoke the color of each god, making the color wheel. Tolv's opposite is Seren, God of Fortune.
    Last edited by TheWombatOfDoom; 2021-04-01 at 08:00 AM.
    Scientific Name: Wombous apocolypticus | Diet: Apocolypse Pie | Cuddly: Yes

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Order of the Stick Projects:
    Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic
    Dad-a-chum? Dum-a-chum? Ded-a-chek? Did-a-chick?
    Extended Signature | My DeviantArt | Majora's Mask Point Race
    (you can't take the sky from me)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Bugbear in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: The Clockface Gods - Homebrew Pantheon

On the one hand it's kinda weird you didn't go with the 9 alignments or the 17 outer planes. On the other hand you can now make a calendar with 12 months based on the gods.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    On the one hand it's kinda weird you didn't go with the 9 alignments or the 17 outer planes. On the other hand you can now make a calendar with 12 months based on the gods.
    I didn't want to make them alignment based, especially if some people prayed to certain gods for certain things when they worshiped all as a whole. I didn't go with the 17 outer planes because for some in lore reasons, people can leave this plane, but its much harder to return. But also, because I didn't want 17 gods.

I originally just had the name idea, and it quickly developed into what's above. Yeah 12 months, 24 hour days, works really well for all that. Just gotta figure out how the pantheon works with all these opposites to each other.

World Building Projects:
    Magic
    : The Stuff of Sentience | Fate: The Fabric of Physics | Luck: The Basis of Biology

Annotation of the Comic | Magic Compendium of the Comic | Transcription of the Comic

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Zombie

Quote Originally Posted by TheWombatOfDoom View Post
    I took inspiration from different languages to get the names of the Gods, pulling from names of numbers affiliated with that particular God.
    If they're all worshipped by the same people, why don't they all have names from one language? The Romans worshipped Greek and Egyptian gods, but they gave them all Latin names.

The word wonder is thought to be derived from Wander.
    They speak English in this world?

5. Landus, God of Nature - ... Landus' opposite is Twein, God of Magic.

11. Twein, God of Magic - ...Twein's opposite is Landus, God of Nature.
    Is magic considered unnatural? Why are magic and nature opposites?
    The Curse of the House of Rookwood: Supernatural horror and family drama.
    Ash Island: Personal survival horror in the vein of Silent Hill.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Xuc Xac View Post
    If they're all worshipped by the same people, why don't they all have names from one language? The Romans worshipped Greek and Egyptian gods, but they gave them all Latin names.

They speak English in this world?

Is magic considered unnatural? Why are magic and nature opposites?
    The easy answer is because many cultures built the pantheon, originally groups from various areas only worshiped one of the 12, as those cultures merged, so did the pantheon until the 12 were formed.

Common is the common language. And sense all my players and I are english speaking, that's the common. If we were all french speakers, I'd be hitting up Huitran for that 8 in the lore.

Nature is naturally occuring things that influence the world. Magic is unnaturally occuring things that influence the world. Think of it like technology vs natural.

World Building Projects:
    Magic