New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

tongue [IC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED
    Team Ruby Moon
    (Name Not Final)

A tenday ago, you arrived in the City of Splendor with not but hope in your pocket. You confidently traveled to Acquisitions Incorporated's HQ and asked to join the organization, asked to be given the right to establish your own franchise, asked for the chance to start a brave new life! The CEO of Acq Inc looked you over and saw promise in you and your allies. He asked that you venture off to a small lair to the north of Waterdeep, near Luskan. A band of blood-thirsty goblins had been preying on travelers on the road for several weeks now. Many had been murdered. You were tasked with bringing the goblins to justice and retrieving an ornamental mace that had been stolen from a merchant's store, now believed to be in possession of the goblins. If successful, Omin Dran would consider your application. You traveled through the snow-covered lands of the north, discovered the goblin's lair and busted down the door. The goblins set upon you like ferocious animals - crazed, wild, unthinking. These were no ordinary goblins, these were vicious killers. You tried your best to negotiate but the goblins would have none of it. After several intense battles, you came to the end of the cave and confronted the goblin's leader - a cleric of Bhaal - the god of violent and ritualistic murder. The fight with the cleric was astounding. Leveraging all you had learned over the course of the dungeon, you and your friends operated as a smooth killing machine. You overwhelmed the cleric and smote him. Justice for those these cultists had murdered. After retrieving the mace, you returned to Waterdeep and wait for word fromthe CEO...

A tenday has gone by and you have not heard back from Dran.

It is raining outside. A hard rain, a cold rain, a northern rain. Upon the cobblestone streets runs a small lad. He pulls his cowl tightly over his face, protecting his young, wiry frame from the bitter cold downpour. He comes from the Yawning Portal and arrives at a half-forgotten inn on the other side of town. He knocks on your door thrice. He practically shoves a letter into your hand. Before you can reply or tip the lad, he jets off. Clearly he is eager to find warmth yet again. You close the door and head over to the fire. Your hands have a bit of a tremor as they hastily - yet carefully - open the letter...

Spoiler: Letter from Omin Dran
    Show
    Greetings Friends,

My name, as I am sure you are well aware, is Ominifis "Omin" Hereward Dran, CEO of Acquisitions Incorporated. A fortnight ago, you asked to become a franchisee within my company. I will not lie, I had my doubts as to your capabilities. There were others too, that had applied to join and, like you, I doubted their abilities. Like pieces on a chessboard, I moved you and your new companions together and asked that you collectively prove your worth to me, my company and my brand.

Recently, a middling merchant in Waterdeep named Han Hamford came into possession of a potent magical mace named the Ruby Moon. Prized for its ruby ornamentation and silver filigree, this mace was the talk of Waterdeep. Hamford was set to earn a princely sum at auction. Yet, thieves broke into his store and stole the mace. As is tradition with the thieves in the Sword Coast, they fled Waterdeep and headed to another city in order to quickly fence their ill-gotten weapon. As luck would have it, the thieves were careless and fell prey to a goblinoid ambush while on the road north to Luskan. I am told the thieves - as is oft befitting such folk - were butchered, like animals. All of the thieves’ valuable possessions - including the mace - were pilfered and hauled back to the goblin’s lair.

Han Hamford requested the aid of Acquisitions Incorporated. With the promise of a reward, I decided to use this venture as a test - to see if you and your new companions were Acquisitions Incorporated material. The quest was simple - recover the mace by any means necessary. By the blood, sweat and tears you no doubt shed in that dark, dank, waterlogged, goblin-filled cave, you proved yourselves to be capable, ingenious and, above all else, enterprising. You are exactly the type of people we are looking for when establishing new franchises throughout Faerun.

As it would happen, a great opportunity has arisen recently in Cormyr. Once a powerful, stable, well protected nation, the Kingdom has recently fallen on hard times. A dragon named Mistoffelees has taken up residence in the Storm Horns (a mountain range). Within Cormyr, the most elite knightly order is that of the Purple Dragon Knights. They are peerless warriors who protect the realm from threats both from within and from without. Officially, the Queen sent a band of fifty elite Purple Dragon Knights to slay the dragon and liberate the north from its tyranny. The knights were killed to a man. That is the official record of events. Through various back channels, I have learned that the Queen actually sent one hundred Purple Dragon Knights and a small army of five hundred peasant levies to assault the dragon’s lair. All one hundred knights and four hundred and ninety nine peasant levies were murdered. A young page was the only one to make it back to civilization to report on what had happened.

Sadly, this is not the only issue that is afflicting the realm. One month after the failed attack on Mistoffelees, the Queen went missing. The greatest trackers, wizards and diviners were summoned to the capital to investigate the matter but none were able to deduce how the Queen went missing or why she went missing or where the Queen is now (honestly, it is very difficult to get good help these days!). Panic has stricken the capital. The people cry out for competent leadership in these troubled times. The council of the realm’s greatest lords and ladies were divided over who should lead the Kingdom in the King’s absence. Reynold Samoyed is a stalwart knight who has a good reputation for being fair and honest. He was the only candidate that everyone at the King’s Moot agreed was moderately fine. He is, as I am told, an inoffensive compromise choice. Seymond is neither a cunning wordsmith, nor a battle hardened veteran, nor a man who commands much loyalty or respect from the nobles (much less the peasantry). Someone had to lead the realm and Seymond was the only candidate the nobles could all agree was… Adequate (at best).

Many rumors have been flying about since the King’s disappearance. Some whisper that the Queen fled the capital after the disastrous attack on the dragon, fleeing like a coward. Others openly state that - surely - the dragon Mistoffelees, as retribution for the assault on his lair, must be responsible for the King’s disappearance. Others - usually those with axes to grind - claim it was the Sembians or the Zhentarim, whom they claim seek to weaken Cormyr for their own nefarious ends. Still others claim that the Fire Knives, a band of shadowy assassins from the city of Westgate (which sits just across the Lake of Dragons from Cormyr) are to blame for the kidnapping (and presumed assassination) of the King. Regardless of who is to blame, Regent Reynold Seymond is ill-equipped to handle a crisis of this magnitude.

Add to all of this, the growing troubles that afflict the western edge of the Kingdom. For centuries, the town of Proskur lay on Cormyr’s flank, just outside of the realm. The town was overrun with wicked criminals who sought to smuggle illegal goods into and out of Cormyr. A few decades ago, the crown of Cormyr annexed the city of Proskur. The annexation went well but the Proskurian cultural penchant for ill deeds proved difficult to break. Five years ago, a drought struck the northern end of the Kingdom of Akanûl. The former King was a compassionate man and sought to help end the suffering of the genasi. He opened his kingdom’s doors to refugees from Akanûl, so long as they agreed to live in and around Proskur. Each refugee was given enough gold to purchase a plot of land or a small domicile within the town. The hope was that the refugees would dilute the… Foul nature of the locals, which would aid in changing the criminal culture that still lingers in the hearts of many Proskurians. The idea backfired, as many locals are now resentful of the genasi and the “leg up” they have been freely given by the crown. Bandit gangs have risen up, demanding justice and equity. These brigands have migrated deep into the heartland of the realm and now plague its many roads. Normally, the Purple Dragon Knights patrol the realm and prevent such bandits from ever gaining a foothold but, with the massacre in the Storm Horns, the Purple Dragon Knights are few in number. If the knights stick to their current strict recruiting practices, it would be years before the Purple Dragon Knights have regained their fighting numbers. The local nobles are ill equipped to deal with the rising bandit problem, especially if the Regent declares war on one (or more) of the realm’s many enemies.

All of this is to say, Cormyr is a land rich with opportunity for a company like Acquisitions Incorporated. As stated previously, you have proven yourselves more than capable. The company hereby grants your team the right to establish a franchise branch within the town of Waymoot. Waymoot was once a thriving town at the center of the King’s Forest. It was made rich by the trade that passed through its gates. With the rise of the bandits… And other vile creatures… The trade has all but dried up. The town is practically begging for a band of stalwart heroes to march in and liberate it from its troubles.

You are the heroes they need (for a slightly greater than fair market price!).

Per my associate, Jim Darkmagic, your team has been given the provisional name of “Team Ruby Moon”. It may not be a clever name but it is… Descriptive of your greatest success, I suppose. Regardless, once you have settled into your new lives in Cormyr, I am sure a better name will come to you.

Per your franchise agreement, we have sent a Majordomo to the region to scout the territory out and help your team establish themselves. For your franchise, we have selected Jasmal Rein, a Fire Genasi, to serve as your Majordomo. Jasmal graduated from the Elder Bardic College of Fochlucan some forty years ago. She led a life of high adventure before retiring. Jasmal came out of retirement in order to help Acquisitions Incorporated spread its wings away from the Sword Coast and into other regions in and around Faerun. Previous to this assignment, she served as Majordomo to the infamous “Team Firehawks” from the Dalelands.

According to Jasmal, there are five potential locations in and around Waymoot for “Team Ruby Moon” to establish their first headquarters.

Option 1: A disused farm house about quarter a mile from Waymoot. The building was abandoned fifty years ago for unknown reasons. The owner of the property is willing to sell it for basically nothing. It is a bit of a fixer upper, as I said, it has been disused for fifty years. I am told that the farm house also comes with a dilapidated barn on site. How fun!

Option 2: Reports from Waymoot state that a ghostly tower has appeared deep in the King’s Wood. No one remembers it being there and few people are willing to investigate it, as it has been overrun with some monsters (of what type, no one can agree). The local lord of Waymoot has stated that if your team were to clear the tower out, he would gift the tower to the franchise.

Option 3: Jasmal has entered into a preliminary agreement with the owner of Beruintarís Hone Warmer, a local inn, to rent out the newly renovated fourth floor of the establishment to serve as the homebase of the franchise. The inn is a bit on the older side and usually regarded as the place where folks who cannot get rooms at the nicer inns go to stay. It is also well known for being the inn of choice for adventurers who are from non-local lineages (like Lizardfolk and Minotaurs). I am told that the fourth floor has a communal bath that will be reserved for your franchise’s use only.

Option 4: Apparently, a group of local trackers, rangers, guides, etc. established a tree house lodge near Waymoot to serve as their homebase. With the rise of bandits and the lack of trade/merchants coming through the area, their organization has fallen on hard times. They are seeking to sell the location for a moderate price. I am told the tree house is, as you might expect, small but… It is in a tree. How exotic!

Option 5: As always, a horse drawn carriage is available for you to serve as your homebase. According to our records, this is one of the most popular forms of newly minted Franchise Headquarters. A unique carriage has recently come into my possession. It is a stately, worn carriage that has a unique feature - a built in, detachable outside jaunting car, which is perfect for high speed chases or when you need to move your whole team quickly.

You have time to think this over as the journey from Waterdeep to your new home in Waymoot will take several weeks.

I fare thee well, brave franchisees of Acquisitions Incorporated, and may Tymora walk with you.

Signed,

Ominifis "Omin" Hereward Dran

With their letter of franchise fresh in hand, the new franchisees head to the docks and commission a ship to take them to Baldur's Gate. After much haggling, they find a captain willing to take them - Captain Cornelius "The Reaper's Son" Reaperson. He is a tall, dark skinned man with an eye patch over his left eye and a red bandanna covering his balding head. He lost his left hand at some point in his career. A gnomish artificer has rigged up a repeating crossbow onto his arm. Reaperson makes a show of his accuracy in the taverns by shooting at dart boards from across the building. The man's ship is named the The Scurvy Jewel, after the time his whole crew was afflicted with scurvy while lost at sea. During the long the journey, the captain and her crew tell many tales about the ship, her fine captains and many crews. The ship is an aged cog, nearing on seventy years since it was first constructed. You would wager every beam and every plank has been replaced at some point in this vessel's illustrious life. The Scurvy Jewel weathered several storms along the way to Baldur's Keep but managed to arrive with only a few nicks and bruises. The franchisees then bid farewell to Captain Reaperson and his crew.

The group arrived in Baldur's Gate in the early evening. The five adventurers tuck themselves up in a small dockside hostel to get a good night's sleep on land before trekking off once more in the morning. The group had decided to hire a river boat, to sail up the River Chionthar, so as to avoid walking the whole distance to Cormyr. It was a sensible plan but a plan that would not come to pass, for in middle of the night, the franchisees are awoken by a hill dwarf wizard named Buirmogga Mountaingem. She was a fiery lass with golden-blonde hair and a sour disposition. She was leading a caravan from Baldur's Gate to the Kingdom of Cormyr. She asked - nay DEMANDED - that the party join her caravan. With little room to negotiate or back out, the party joined the surly dwarven woman's caravan and trekked off to Cormyr. The journey was long and arduous but eventually, the group arrived in the city of Proskur, then ventured across the Bridge of Fallen Men, then traveled along the High Road to Skull's Crag, through the mountain Path to Minroe and down into the King's Forest, to the small woodland town of Waymoot. The dwarven wizard thanked the party for their aid in protecting the caravan and gifted each with 25 gold for their troubles. Additionally, she gave each party member a bronze coin, embossed with a big oak tree. The wizard simply stated that if they ever wanted a tree, all they had to do was plant the coin in soil.

At the gates of the town, a wild haired fire genasi greets the franchisees. "Greetings and well met, friends. I am Jasmal Rein, Team Ruby Moon's Majordomo. Per your instructions, I have already secured the top floor of the local inn - Beruintarís Hone Warmer - for use as your new headquarters. I have taken the liberty of asking that bath water be hauled up to your HQ so that you may freshen yourselves up and soothe your aching feet... However..."

The woman pauses. As she does, you gaze into her face for a moment. She is youthful in appearance but many crow's feet line her eyes, betraying her true age. If she were human, you would say she were forty, maybe forty five years old. She is well built, muscular but still lithe. Her clothing choice is... Audacious. A button up azure blue blouse, with the top four buttons remaining unfastened, which frames her muscular chest quite well. Her britches are made from leather, dyed dark red, with silver studs lining each pant leg in vertical stripes. Upon her hip is a rapier with a large, ornate basket. draped across her back is a lime green, fur lined cape.

"However," she continues, "Your arrival was foretold by the Queen of Joy - the local High Priestess of the goddess Lliira - Jezarai Moonbolt III. The Queen of Joy has declared a great festival should be held a tenday from once you arrive... So... Ten days from today. The festivals hosted by the Queen of Joy are... Rambunctious affairs. People from as far away as Suzail will come to Waymoot to join in on the festivities. You are to be guests of honor, or so the Queen of Joy has informed me."

The brink pink-colored woman nods to the local guards to open the gate to the town. Waymoot is home to around twelve hundred people and is the largest settlement found within the King's Forest. The town plays host to many horse farms, with his equines being seen as highly desirable throughout all of Cormyr and beyond. The town has a rustic, "down to earth" feel to it, which stands in stark contrast to the sprawling metropolis of Waterdeep (and indeed, even Baldur's Gate). As you near the center of town, you spy an imposing building that is under construction. The timber frame has been lacquered with a dark red stain. Jasmal notes your interest and states, "I see you have spotted the Temple of the Red Lady. A Priestess-Paladin of the Red Knight named Lady Maddy Harrington, recently moved to Waymoot. Under the auspices of Waymoot's Lord, Lady Maddy has begun construction of a temple dedicated to the Red Knight. I am told Lady Harrington is very interested in meeting the five of you. Which is good, the Red Knight's devotees are zealous and always ready for battle. Like I always say, where there is battle, there is profit."

She smiles warmly as she leads you to Beruintars Hone Warmer. The building is on the far edge of town from whence you entered. It is a "no frills" establishment. Basic but well built. Two minotaurs exit the building as you arrive. Both are covered in glowing blue and red runic tattoos. They carry thick axes and long bows. One of them, the taller one, snorts with derision as he sees your party. The two minotaurs saunter off out of the city's eastern gate.

"You will have to excuse them. They are adventurers who csme here for glory and riches. They fear your arrival will slurp up all of the juicy jobs. They are not wrong. When out in the King's Forest, I would keep an eye out for them, in case they try something."

Jasmal leads yo to the fourth floor of the establishment. It has a large common area, complete with its own fireplace and several desks. To the west is a small hallway that leads to six small rooms. To the east is another hallway with four rooms and a communal bathing area. Two halfling boys and a human girl race past the party, each carrying a large bucket full of water. They barely have time to bow before running into the bath, dumping their water in the bath, then running back downstairs. "You will have to excuse them. The younglings are nothing if not eager to please the "Heroes of the Ruby Moon Cave".

The genasi smiles again and pats her lower back. As she stretches, she states, "Well, I will let you get settled and cleaned up. The Paladin of the Red Knight will want to see you as soon as you are presentable."

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Each of you have earned 25 gold and a bronze coin emblazoned with an oak tree.

This is an open RP time, a chance for each of you to get a feel for your characters and establish yourselves in the IC thread. Once you are ready, we can head to the Red Knight Temple (or somewhere else, if you would prefer - the world if your oyster!).

Spoiler: Map of Cormyr
    Show
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-01 at 07:02 PM.
    "Never tell me the odds!"

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

As they approached the city, Amos walked with the carefree gait that he had carried throughout their journeys. Nothing seemed to faze the barbarian, who had ridden out the storms that had rocked the Scurvy Jewel or the delays caused by a broken axle on one of Buirmogga's wagons. Throughout it all, the only thing that Amos seemed concerned about at all was running low on some seasonings and finding fresh meat.

The party had experienced the highs and lows of Amos's cooking, enjoying lavish meals one night and utter disasters another. True to his carefree spirit, Amos liked to experiment and try things. The first night on the Scurvy Jewel, the crew almost mutinied over the disgusting squid concoction he had created. Luckily he more than made up for it with a delicate rum battered fish the next night. Within the caravan, most of the other laborers and drivers learned to wait until after someone else tried the dish before trying to get a piece. He had ensured that their journey was at a minimum, eventful.

Following Jasmal, Amos brushed the road dust off his black tunic and pants. Though currently covered by his pack, the tunic was emblazoned on the back with the image of a dragon breathing fire onto a spit with roasting meat, the symbol of his father's restaurant. He sucked thoughtfully on a thin piece of jerky sticking partway out of his mouth. "A festival certainly sounds like a great deal of fun. I could whip up something fun." He rubbed his hands through his auburn hair. "What do you think, Bunny? Fancy lending me a hand whipping up something good?" He turned to Bunhilda with a wry grin, jerky still sticking out the side of his mouth.

Spoiler: DM Note
    Show
    When we were traveling with Buirmogga, Amos would have taken the opportunity to ask if it was possible to make a magic item to give him expertise on cooking checks. Also, he almost certainly came close to poisoning someone at some point with food.
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2021-04-01 at 09:44 PM.
    The Chaotic Evil Dungeon Master

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [IC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

Witch Queen Bunhilda the White
    Rabbitfolk Witch
    AC: 12/15 HP: 16/16
    PP: 9 PIv: 15 PIs: 9
    Conditions: --
    Concentration: --

Bunhilda had spent a fair amount of her time figuring out which members of the team she could order around (or rather, which ones would actually carry out orders and requests as opposed to the ones she'd still order around but should not expect to reliably do as told).

She quickly learned to have one of her shadow rabbit minions serve as a taste tester of Amos' food. If they didn't immediately vanish back from once they came, she knew it was at least safe to eat. For the sake of appearances and practicality she decided it was a good practice to institute in general. Besides, the shadow rabbits seemed to enjoy the good treats and find their fellow's misfortune as amusing as anyone else's.

She appreciated Jasmal's bold style, a women after her own heart, and gave her an appreciative nod at their meeting. At the news of people wishing to meet them and throw feasts in their honor she nodded again, "It is only fitting our arrival is greeted as a cause for celebration. Truly, they're fortunate to have us." and gave another nod, agreeing with herself.

She sighed as Amos once again used that nickname and corrected, "I've told you several times already, you should address me as Witch Queen Bunhilda the White." and then with a sigh, knowing already he wasn't going to even listen, "and I've also told you that I'm not the bubbling cauldron kind of witch. But I do suppose I can help you distinguish useful herbs from poisonous ivies and the like." Then only a brief pause before she adds, "After I take a bath of course." and then she moves on to quickly lay claim to the largest room.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Troll in the Playground

Johnny Law, Dran Enterprises Whistleblower
    AC: 15 | MAX HP: 20 | CURRENT: 20 | HIT DIE: 2d10 | CURRENT: 2d10
    INITIATIVE: +3 | PASSIVE PERCEPTION: 14 | PASSIVE INSIGHT: 12
    ACTIVE EFFECTS: None.
    CONDITIONS: None.

As Johnny surveyed the rooms above Beruintar's he thought about where he and his posse had come from, and here they were, an official franchise under his belt, and nodded. He let out a long, slow whistle, as he took his dusty hat from his head and held it over his heart, "Tyr have mercy, we made it!" He walked through the rooms, making mental notes, Reception, Boardroom, Corner Office, Store Room, Infirmary, he nodded, absent mindedly wondering if they'd be able to acquire the floors below as the franchise expanded and required more staff. Still, considering where they'd come from it wasn't a bad start. Not by a long shot.

As he walked aboard the Scurvy Jewel, he was glad to put Baldur's Gate at his back, time there was interesting, but he was looking forward to a fresh start, establishing their own franchise. He shook his head in wonder, wow, it had been a long shot, but they'd gotten there. A gnome forged artificer, an aspiring chef with anger issues, the aluring, but cold, devotee of order, and a tall rabbit queen from the fey wild. He was unsure of this motley collection of misfits and outcasts, yet, somehow they had worked well together, acquiring the relic that they had been sent to retrieve. That victory defining them and securing their rights to a franchise in far off Cormyr.

Those first few days had not gone well for Johnny, who quickly discovered he did *not* enjoy the open sea, he longed for the stability of hard ground beneath his feet, rather than the roilling deck as it floated atop the waves, link a cork in a whirlpool. He made an effort to be seen above deck, but there was a greenish cast to his face as he did so. However, despite his nausea, he quite enjoyed Reaper Son's company, the stalwart captain was loyal to his crew, despite their storied backgrounds, rough, rugged nature, there were *his* crew, aboard *his* ship, and he took ownership of that fact, commanded respect, not out of fear, but out of duty and dedication, never ordering his men to do a task that he, himself, was unprepared to see through. While sea shanties were not Johnny's thing, as they left Reaperson & the Scurvy Jewel he found that he missed them, and the crew, despite the unease he felt at sea.

Johnny had argued *against* taking the riverboat up the Chionthar, and considered Mountaingem's fervent demands a blessing from on high. A wagon train, while slow moving and fraught with road side dangers, was far more to Johnny's disposition, a broad brim shading his eyes, cigarillo dangling from his lips, and a shotting iron on his side. He was in his element, he took some time explaining the intricacies of Peacemaker to the gnome-forged obviator, Medic, developing a respect for the construct based on their curious nature. Not for the first time, he wished that Cogsworth were there, to speak to the automoton. He came to develop a tase for Amos' overly salted jerky, a stick of which could fill a man's belly for a day of hard riding, should that man have ample water to avoid the dangers of salt-induced dehydration, still, as long as Johnny didn't complain, overmuch, at meal time, the two seemed to get along. Despite the frustrating annoyance of the name Jimmy, he was not a James, or a Jim, or a Jimmy, his god-given name was Johnathon Law, John, or Johnny suited him just fine. The fey-touched rabbit unnerved him, it could be because she was mercurial in her moods, high classed and self absorbed, could quickly change to a menacing, and powerful mage. Didn't help that Johnny didn't fully trust magic, it wasn't as simple as a trigger mechanism, the cause and effect of arcane energies was something beyond him. Now the twice-born lawyer, Edison, gave him pause, she was hell bound to her lord and saviour, Asmodeus, but her devotion to the rule of law made her something of a boon to the franchise, able to suss out irregularities, or loopholes in contracts that would otherwise hurt him, or his allies, he'd come to rely on her, if not fully trust the woman.

Johnny snapped back to the present moment, as he surveyed the office, he tapped the gnome-forged Medic on the shoulder, "Think'n'ya could install some sort o' safe inta that wall there pardner? Looks load bearin' to me, so should affix to tha' beams, and it's an interior wall, so the vault couldn't be pulled out with a few sticks packed smokepowder, or some sorta nasty spell. Not without gettin' through all o' us first, eh?"

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

AssassinGuy

As the Scurvy Jewel set off for Baldur’s Gate, Medic looked out from the bow of the ship, wondering about what would be in his future in Cormyr. He spent much of the journey getting to better know the rest of the group he was with, and helping where he could around the ship. He often listened to Captain Reaperson’s exaggerated tales from his many years at sea, and took great interest in the captain’s replacement hand.

He also learned much about his new companions, like Lady Bunhilda, the rabbit queen who had mastered the arcane arts with her shadowy fey subjects close behind, he respected her intellect and arcane power, but found her difficult to talk with due to her superior demeanor. Medic had also developed an odd companionship with the aspiring chef Amos, enjoying his experimental approach to cooking much like his work with alchemy, helped by the fact that his lack of need to eat let him avoid some of his “less successful” experiments. He also enjoyed the company of the gunman, listening to the stories of his past, and wishing he could talk to the man’s old mentor and learn more about the firearm he wielded, an intricately designed weapon fired with smokepowder that he used with lethal accuracy. The Documancer Lilah was interesting, her connection to Asmodeus was quite concerning, but her dedication to her contracts would at least make her a reliable ally, and her divine magic made her a great asset to the team.

Once the group entered their new home, Medic quickly moved to go get his equipment set up, pausing when he felt the tap on his shoulder, ”I could definitely do that for you, although depending on the size materials might get pricey, so how big would you like it? I also wasn’t able to bring all of my equipment with me, so I’ll need to head to a blacksmith to buy a few tools.”

6. - Top - End - #6
    Troll in the Playground

As the gnome forged automaton spoke, Johnny nodded. "Ah course, 'course." He said, "Weren't it luck that that fiery lass, Mountaingem hired us on the way 'ta Waymoot. Be pleased ta go inta town 'n purchase a right proper set 'o tools, be nice to get a shop set up fer fixin' our gear and tinkering with ol' Peacebringer, ya?" He tipped his hat and proceeded down the hall, "Why don't cha hit me up once yer settled, I'mma grab a quick bath 'fore then, wash off the damn dust."

With that said, he went to the rooms, picked one with a nice view of the main street into town, unconcerned with it's size, or amenities. He then removed his studded leather overcoat, removed his gun belt, tossed his vest over the back of a chair, and walked towards the baths. He was so tired from the trip that good manners escaped him, and without knocking he walked into the bath. Closed the door and turned, only to be greeted by the sight of Bunhilda soaking, luxuriously in the sudsy, steaming water, he blathered an apology, turning near fifty shades of red and back peddled out of the chambers quicker than a halfling at the dinnerbell.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-04-05 at 05:09 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Titan in the Playground

Rabbitfolk Witch

Upon noticing Johnny's intrusion, Bunhilda let out a little alarmed squeak and then hastily conjured an illusion of brightly glimmering lights, so bright you couldn't see past them, in front of her places not meant to be seen (at least not in the public broadcast version of this show).

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

Amos reached the top of the stairs, pack slung over his shoulder in a careless stance, just in time to see Johnny Law dash out of the baths, and hear Bunhilda's squeak. "This is why we have a bath schedule, Jimmy." Reaching into his map case, Amos pulled out a piece of parchment with each of their names written in order. "As I recall, Bunny gets first go because her hair takes time to dry right or it gets all frizzy. Then miss Lil, since she takes her time making herself pretty, though she don't need it. Then it's your turn. Then Doc, though I've never seen him actually bathe, and finally I'm last as I usually just finished dinner by the time everyone is done washing up, and have earned a nice long soak. Though lately it's been a frigid bath in a cold river." With a flourish, he tacks the parchment to the doorframe.

"Speaking of which, assuming this place has anything worth cooking, I best get to it." Dropping his pack on one of the beds, and fishing out a small box of his spices out of it, he heads back down to the kitchen.

OOC: Sunset, what condition is the kitchen in and what supplies do they have? Enough to make a decent meal for the lot of us (or indecent, as that seems to be the tone thus far :) )
    Last edited by tigerusthegreat; 2021-04-11 at 10:54 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Amos heads down to the kitchen and finds a pot bellied middle-aged man sweating over a big pot of stew. The kitchen is small and tight but has all the basic ingredients and foodstuffs you would need to cook a meal for a tavern full of hungry adventurers. The man looks you over and smiles, "Ah so you are that fancy chef we heard so much about? Your genasi friend spoke well of you. I take it you would like to commandeer my kitchen? Your genasi friend said you might be doing that. Per our agreement, I cede the battlefield of cuisine to you. Feel free to use anything we have in stock, your monthly rent covers such expenses. If you need anything special, write it down and I will make sure the lads and lasses fetch what you need from the market. The rotund man grabs his big cauldron of stew and waddles past Amos, "Off to deliver this boiled egg and horse flank stew to the hungry men and women out in the commons. Have fun"

Looking around, Amos finds:

- Two Cod
    - Ten links of sausage (but not label as to what kind of sausage it is)
    - Several baskets full of boiled eggs
    - Several big chunks of horse meat
    - Several round loaves of bread
    - Five pounds of Whey Cheese
    - Two Pounds of Blue Cheese
    - Various herbs and spices
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-05 at 05:38 PM.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ettin in the Playground

Looking around the kitchen, Amos is pleased. It is much better stocked than he expected. He wasn't even sure he'd have to dip into his stock of supplied, and might even be able to top them off. "Thank you, kind sir, I will be sure to save you a portion. I'm always eager to hear the opinion of another chef." As soon as the man departed, Amos took a sniff of the remnants of the stew he was making. Taking a small taste, the barbarian made a sour face. "That's a non-starter. I can't use any of that. Hmmm...." Munching a hard boiled egg thoughtfully, Amos grinned as he looked over his ingredients. "That might work."

The kitchen swiftly became as deadly as a true battlefield. With lightning precision and speed, Amos sliced and diced, fried and seared, all in an attempt to put together something he considered presentable. The fish seemed to debone themselves, and quickly went into a pot to make a broth for soup tomorrow. Then he focused on today.

fry the sausage until it is almost cooked through, but not quite. Dice up the eggs, herbs, spices, cheese, and the sausage. Make a hole in the rolls, and remove some of the inner bread, then stuff all the ingredients inside, then bake the rest until the cheese is melted.

Wiping the sweat from his brow, and leaving a small tray in the kitchen for the man, Amos brought the rest up to their common area. Setting a dish in front of each of the gathered adventurers, he smiled. "Savory sausage and egg kolaches. Enjoy!" Before everyone is a few fist-sized rolls. Once you bite into them, they are stuffed with egg, sausage and cheese, as well as herbs. While not the best thing you've ever eaten, they are pretty good. "I made a few without the sausage, in case someone wants something without meat. I have no idea what animal sausage was made of." Amos digs into his own greedily, eating three of them before coming up for air.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Titan in the Playground

Rabbitfolk Witch

She made a mental note to tease Johnny about his interruption later as she continued her bath. Certainly an amusing anecdote worth recording for posterity.

As Amos described, it does take Bunhilda longer than it does for the typical human to dry off. Though in truth she'd exaggerated the trouble of it mainly to secure her position as first bather. The matter was greatly helped by the attendance of the shadow rabbits.

She came down, her black dress freshly re-made by the shadow rabbits. Her companions from the mortal realm might think the little rabbits cleaned the dress. But no, as fey they approached the issue with a method more in their nature and simply absorbed and remade the outfit from darkness itself. At least once a day, though upwards of five times was not unheard of.

After coming downstairs and smelling something pleasant, she still made sure to feed one of the whatever-Amos-had-made-today's to..... Blackberry today. The shadow rabbit nibbled the baked good with much vigor and did not expire with a terrible wail or the such. So Bunhilda took a seat and a plate for herself. After trying one she said to Amos, "My! These are much better than I'd expected quite delightful. I like these ones with the... what do you call this blue kind of cheese?"

Spoiler
    Show

Those sound super good, so I'm ignoring the roll and deciding they clocked in at least around a 17 for Bunhilda.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ettin in the Playground

"I am sure my dad would know the name of it, but I have no idea. I tasted it, thought it worked well with the ither ingredients, and that was good enough for me."

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

eek Re: [IC] ACQUISITIONS INCORPORATED: Team Ruby Moon (Name Not Final) [5E]

Lilisendra Ravenswood

Lily had decidedly not enjoyed their voyage aboard The Scurvy Jewel to Baldur's Gate. Despite her natural grace and being born and raised in one of the busiest port cities of the Shining South, the young half-elf had spent most of the trip clinging miserably to the edge of the ship's railing, desperately trying (and usually failing) to keep down any food or drink. By the time she had finally "found her sea legs" (as the sailors called it), the journey was practically over and done with. A valuable lesson, she thought to herself when they reached dry land, that long sea voyages and I shall be passing acquaintances at best.

The overland caravan journey to Cormyr had been much more to her liking. A city girl her entire life, the long slow pace through the wide open natural spaces had awakened a little the elvish side of her heritage, long suppressed by life in human cities and societies. Feeling the beginnings of a healing, and free from the tyranny of the dreaded seasickness, she began to get know her companions with an interest that was genuine, rather than just another layer of the masks she usually wore around people.

She was less pleased to learn that their destination was so close to Sembia. Melphior still has contacts in many places, she worried to herself sometimes at night, but least now I have compatriots loyal and true at my back and sides now.

On meeting their majordomo, Lily prefers to closely watch and observe rather than comment; perhaps this is what the future holds for her, when she is done with the adventuring life, and first-time opportunities are lessons not to be missed.

On arrival at Beruintars Hone Warmer, she does not concern herself with baths or food - at least not yet. Her immediate concern is with the selection of a room that will be hers, that most suits her requirements. One that allows for most convenient minimal observation of her comings and goings whilst likewise allowing her to observe the arrival and departure of others; one with easy access to the roof, exterior walls, or other means of alternate exit; and one that perhaps allows some small extra measure of privacy that the others do not, should she require it.

Finally satisfied with her selection, Lilisendra makes her way to the common room for her meal and happily tucks in.

"I say, these are rather good," Lily compliments Amos. "While I'm not usually in favour of mystery meats, the gamey flavour pairs well with the savoury notes from the cheese; perhaps worth investigating and remembering for future reference?"

14. - Top - End - #14
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Amos View Post
    "This is why we have a bath schedule, Jimmy." Reaching into his map case, Amos pulled out a piece of parchment with each of their names written in order. "As I recall, Bunny gets first go because her hair takes time to dry right or it gets all frizzy. Then miss Lil, since she has to have time to do her prayers and all. Then it's your turn. Then Doc, though I've never seen him actually bathe, and finally I'm last as I usually just finished dinner by the time everyone is done washing up, and have earned a nice long soak. Though lately it's been a frigid bath in a cold river."
    The broad shouldered man hammered the afore mentioned schedule to the door frame, and turned to descend down towards the kitchens, while Johnny quietly whispered, still mortified, "Johnny, it's Johnny." He wandered back to his room, and waited until his time slot to bathe, and once thoroughly shaved and scrubed, returned to his room to put on his fancy duds. Dark black, charcoal grey pin stripes, the vest with the polished brass buttons, and the burgandy cotton shirt. Rebuckling his gun belts, he knocked the dust off his hat, placed it atop his head and wandered downstairs.

He was assailed by the savory scents of eggs, sausage, and fresh baked bread, turned out they were stuffed pastries, but still smelled better than a campfire stew, he took off his hat as he walked into the room. Noted Bunhilda, nodded, but, quite obviously, brought up his hat to hide a blush that stood out on his cheeks. Taking a seat so he wouldn't have to meet eyes with the branch Loremonger, he ravenously dug into the dinner, downing three or four of the sausge filled pastries. Looking up, he smiled at Amos, his cheeks bulging as he chewed and swalloed his last bite, "mm'hmm, delicious pardner! M'thanks!" He washed it down with some ale, finished the last scraps of his plate, "So where to after dinner? Talk to the Red Lady's knight?"
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-04-11 at 08:33 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilisendra Ravenswood

Lily nods at Johnny. "Correct; Lady Maddy Harrington, of the church of Red Knight. I, for one, find it rather interesting that our first official meeting is with a relative newcomer to Waymoot, rather than someone like the mayor or a town councillor. Just something to consider during the meeting. "

She pops a final stuffed egg in her mouth, chewing delicately and swallowing. "Now, I'm headed for the baths while the water is still warm-ish." She eyes Johnny and impishly arches an eyebrow. "Do I need to bar the door? Or should I leave it open just a crack so certain individuals can indulge their natural curiosity without barging in?" she teases, before turning and heading towards the bathroom.

As she bathes, Lilisendra contemplates her limited wardrobe. At least with a permanent base of operations, I can start expanding it again; although I expect that my options in a small town will be quickly exhausted. Maybe we could organise some trips to the larger cities when we aren't adventuring?

After bathing, Lily puts on her only set of clothes - finely made yet still functional, allowing for freedom of movement and having many concealed pockets and tools.
    Weapons, definitely, she thinks to herself, but yes or no on the armour?

In the end, she decides against it. Finishing touches are hair done up in a sensible style, just a hint of make-up that is barely noticeable, and the fake signet ring - a white tree circled by three ravens - that proclaims her as an heiress of Ravenswood Hall. Another gamble, Lily thinks, but old habits die hard.

Satisfied, Lilisendra rejoins the others as the very picture of what she's trying to represent: the adventuring young minor noblewoman.

16. - Top - End - #16
    Ettin in the Playground

"I will need to ask the cook what kind of sausage these are, now that this combination has been a hit, I'll need to make note of the flavor combinations. I've got some kind of fish broth cooking down now, but I'm not quite sure what to do with it. I'll need to get some fresh ingredients in here. Maybe we can even help the inn turn a proper profit."

Flipping through a small loosely bound book, Amos makes some notes. Before leaving the kitchen, he had left a hefty list of ingredients, leaning heavily on vegetables, as meat was usually more expensive than it was worth. Having full access to a kitchen was a job he had not felt in the last month or more, and he was not about to let the opportunity slip by.

"If we are going to be based out of here for a while, we should look into making a vegetable garden, and maybe getting some chickens. It will be cheaper in the long run than buying those supplies, even if we pay someone to maintain them." Thoroughly stuffed, Amos nods to Medic. "You planning on a wash up, Doc, or is it finally my turn in the tub?"

17. - Top - End - #17
    Titan in the Playground

Rabbitfolk Witch

Bunhilda chuckles lightly at Lily's ribbing of Johnny for his earlier mishap and gives Lily an amused smile.

"I would be interested in this garden project of yours Amos. If only to further my knowledge of the plants of the Fadelands*. Though I imagine ensuring we have fresh ingredients would be something a boon in this plane, given it's less abundant growth than that in the Feywild." she comments.

Spoiler: *
    Show

I'm borrowing the term Fadelands from a channel I watch, because I've never really heard a good proper noun term for the part of the Prime Material that isn't the Feywild or Shadowfell. And "faded" is I imagine very much how those of the Feywild would view it. Less abundant in magic, vegetation, and vivid colors.

18. - Top - End - #18

AssassinGuy

While Amos heads down to prepare a meal, Medic heads off to examine the rooms, deciding on one with a window for ventilation rather than any particular view. Setting down his bag and unpacking his medical supplies, as well as carefully setting up the new set alchemical tools the company had provided, all etched with the Acquisitions Inc. logo of course, the company was many things but it was certainly not subtle. Returning shortly after Amos gets back, he grabs a couple of the stuffed rolls, eating slowly while making a mental note of all the tools and other supplies he would need to purchase. He also reminded himself to stop at the local apothecary’s to see about getting a bulk rate on ingredients for healing potions, knowing the group would go through quite a few of them. Quickly returning his focus back to the present as his name is mentioned, ”Oh yes, you can go, you’ll certainly need it much more than I will, and you deserve a break after this fine meal. I’d also be glad to help any way I can with the garden, there are some medicinal plants it would be nice to keep a steady supply of.”

19. - Top - End - #19
    Ettin in the Playground

With Medic giving the go ahead, Amos quickly gets his things and takes a decent soak in the tub. Emerging a short while later in a fresh version of his uniform, he grabs a smaller bag that contains spare parchment, a book given to him by his father, and a few odd maps collected during their brief adventure. Besides that, he only has his chef's knife at his side. "That was refreshing. Are we ready to go?"

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

After a big, delicious meal and many baths, the party is refreshed and ready to take on the day. While you were eating, Jasmal Rein stopped by once more to inform the party that she had secured a meeting with Lady Harrington, to take place at sunset, after afternoon prayers had been completed. "Be careful around Lady Harrington," warned your Majordomo, "She is quick to anger and long to forgive. Treat her with as much deference as you would any noble. She is a gateway to many jobs in Waymoot. Starting the franchise off on the wrong foot with the Lady would... Complicate matters going forward."

The Genasi takes a bite of Amos' leftovers. She smiles as she savors every morsel. With a wink she whispers to the chief, "Quite good. Quite good indeed."

The party exists the inn and crosses the busy street. Many of the people wandering about give the party a wide berth, some out of respect and some out of... What you can only describe as a dislike for adventurers.

The Temple of the Red Lady is an imposing octagonal shaped building. Imposing stone arches span corner-to-corner on seven of the eight sides of the building. Above the arches, the building switches material to wood, lacquered dark crimson. Based on how many wood planks have been set next to the temple, you would wager the building will easily be five stories tall, at a minimum. This will easily be one of the largest temples dedicated to the Red Knight in all of Cormyr, perhaps even the whole Sword Coast. Outside the half-completed building are many workers, sweaty and tired from a hard day's labor. Unlike the other villagers, these builders do not give your party a wide berth. Rather they treat you as they would anyone else in town - with cold indifference.

Spoiler: Insight DC 12
    Show
    You get the impression that these builders are no locals. Likely they hail from one of the larger cities in the realm and were hired by the Lady to construct the temple.

As the sun slowly dips beneath the forested horizon, a stream of ten or so people meander out of a small store across the street from the temple. Above its door is a small sign that simply reads, "Captured Imagination."

After a few moments, a red haired woman confidently strides out of the book shop. She stands almost six feet three inches tall and wears an ornate breastplate emblazoned with the knight-shaped chess piece that is the Red Knight's holy symbol. Attached to her hip is a beautiful sword whose hilt is made from ivory and fashioned into the shape of a horse's head and neck. Interestingly, her sword and its scabbard have been bound together with a red and black ribbon. The woman looks across the street and notices the party. She nods, then strides over. A man on a donkey-drawn cart quickly yanks his steed back, to bring it to a halt so he does not hit the woman. The red-haired knight - either oblivious or over-confident - does not flinch or even take notice of the cart-riding peasant.

"I am Lady Harrington, Mistress of the Temple of the Red Lady, Paladin of the Red Knight, Lord of the Gallows of Dawngleam and Breaker of the Golden Alchemist's Pirate Fleet." Her voice is self-assured, to the point of being overbearing and insufferable. She eyes each franchisee over before bluntly stating, "You come highly recommended by your Majordomo. Ms. Rein stated that you slew many goblins near the coast. Good. The fewer of those good-for-nothing creatures, the better. "

She lets that assertion hang in the air before continuing, "Bandit filth has infiltrated the King's Wood. Much like the goblins, these bandits do not deserve the kindness of mercy. The Purple Dragons have long kept this realm safe and secure from all threats - both from within and without. That all changed with the disastrous attack the dragon up north. The Crème De La Crème of the Purple Dragons were obliterated that day. Left leaderless and rudderless, the organization has failed to uphold its sacred duty of protecting the realm and her people."

She pulls the party over to the side of the unfinished temple, an area clear of onlookers and passers by. "Everyday, the bandits inch closer and closer. Everyday, the bandits grow bolder and bolder. I fear one day soon, they will mount an assault on Waymoot itself."

"I have a job for your franchise. Not but five days ago, a friend of mine went missing in the woods. His name is Ares. He was a visitor to Waymoot from... Some place far from here. He decided to go off on a solo hunting expedition. I told him he was a damned fool and..."

The woman mournfully sighs, "I am loathe to be proven correct.

last night, the Lord of Waymoot's men captured a bandit. After a bit of forceful persuasion, the man admitted to having kidnapped my friend. I would personally head out into the woods and murder as many bandits as I found until I liberate poor Ares but... My goddess called to me in a dream and ordered that I complete this temple before I take up my sword once more. My hands are tied, which is why I need you. You can be my eyes, my ears and my weapons in the woods. The bandit gave me the location of his group's hide-out. It is not far from here, about a day's walk north-east."

Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-13 at 11:13 PM.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilisendra Ravenswood

Lily feels a touch nervous as the party heads towards the meeting place - not because of the meeting itself, but rather the reaction of the people in the streets. Used to being one of those who would stare as adventuring parties went by, being on the receiving end is a little disconcerting.
    It's just another role to play, she tells herself, although this one happens to be real. The thought calms her.

Meeting Lady Harrington, Lily is momentarily taken aback; not because she was a noble - she'd meet dozens of those - but due to the commanding presence of the paladin's sheer physical size.

"Lady Lilisendra Ravenswood," she introduces herself, bowing her head slightly in respectful manner. "A pleasure to make your acquaintance." Lily opens a pouch and pulls out a small board, a sheet of parchment, and an ink pen. "You don't mind if I take a few notes, do you? Company policies and procedures; I'm sure you understand." She gives a small sympathetic smile.

Lily begins jotting down notes as Lady Harrington talks. A casual glance at her note paper would show what appears to be almost complete nonsense, but is in fact a variation on a common Sembian smugglers' cypher that makes for an excellent shorthand.

Lily almost blots her notes when Lady Harrington mentions murdering bandits. Murder in response to kidnapping? This doesn't sound like justice, it sounds personal. She keeps the thought to herself... for now.

"Lady Harrington, a few questions, if you don't mind me asking?" Lily enqires when the paladin has finished speaking. "Firstly, has a ransom demand been issued? If not, could you tell us more about Ares? It may be helpful if we know why he was kidnapped in the first place. Also, a physical description would be most helpful; after all, we would like to ensure that we are rescuing the correct individual. We would also like access to any and all information acquired from the captured bandit. Location is one thing, but we would have a better chance of success if we have information about the layout of their hide-out, and the number and disposition of the bandits. Is this acceptable?" She scrawls as she talks, jotting down the questions she asks on the note paper, then pauses, pen poised and ready to resume. She glances at the others. "And I'm sure my compatriots have questions of their own," she prompts.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Troll in the Playground

Johnny looked at Lily, a touch of respect in his eyes as he flicked the brim of his hat, then turned his attention back to the glowering Lady Harrington. He didn't much appreciate the goblin hate, he'd encountered it before, on the frontier it was easy to discount green skin as nothing but savages, monsters, but the little guys had a culture, a society, of their own, and deserved the right to live their lives much as any other man, woman, or child did.

"Whoa, whoa, there Missy, ah'm a ask ya to hold yer horses. We here are a branch of Acquisitions, Inc. Not Murder Hobos, LLC, so yer gonna haf ta tone down the murder pillage thing a mite there. So, as our names implies we acquire things for our clients, and if'n yer hirin' us to do that, you're givin' us discretion ta do that is we see fit, ya understand?" He held his hands up palm outsward, as he spoke, trying to calm the situation, "Now banditry ain't a thing a man aspires to, you unnerstan'? Ain't no child run up to his pappi's arms 'n say, "Daddy, I wanna be a bandit when I grow up,", so the question we gotta ask is why are these folks desperate enough ta turn to banditry? They lose their homes ta a rovin' dragon? Their crops to famine? You find out why they are bandits, 'n you do what you can to solve that problem, 'n yer bandits disappear."

He paused, because now he was venturing into dangerous territory, "'n as my associate asked, we gots ta know 'bout yer boy, Ares. You say he's a visitor to Waymoot? Where he from? What's he doin' in town? 'n could it be tied to why the bandits are bandits ta begin with?" He left his final question unsaid, he figured that the nature of this woman's friendship with Ares, was of an intimate and personal nature, otherwise she wouldn't be so fired up. Someone devoted to the Red Knight was typically intelligent, logical and strategic in their thinking, and this woman was displaying none of those attributes at this time.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Titan in the Playground

Rabbitfolk Witch

"I am known as Witch Queen Bunhilda the White." the darkly clad Bunhilda responds matching the self-assured and somewhat insufferable tone of Lady Harrington, her shadow rabbit attendants all arranged in a cluster behind her. She doesn't say anything else for the moment, her large eyes just watching the slightly taller woman to see how she reacts to the others, preferring to stay aloof and mysterious for now.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Dwarf in the Playground

"A pleasure to meet you, Lady Lilisendra Ravenswood and Witch Queen Bunhilda the White." She nods to the others, acknowledging their presence. "Notes are fine."

"Ares is a handsome fellow with powerful muscles and a broad frame. He is shorter than an ogre but more massive. He has gray skin and many tattoos. He likes wrapping himself in fine clothes made from expensive materials."

"A demand has not been made. We only discovered the fact that he had been kidnapped when we intercepted a suspicious messenger who turned out to be one of the bandits. The man was carrying word of Ares' capture to someone in Waterdeep, we do not know who."

The paladin is taken aback by Johnny's forcefulness. She grips the hilt of her weapon, as if ready to attack but... Lady Harrington takes a deep breath and releases her grip on her weapon. She nods as she coolly states, "You have complete operational autonomy, of course, but the protection of Ares is tantamount. He comes from a... Distant land that has a strict hierarchy of command. If his superiors learn of what happened, they will come here to find him. They will not take kindly to what has happened and will - not - spare these criminals as you would. Solving the underlying reasons as to why the bandits exist is secondary to the safe return of Ares."

"Ares came here because he was my friend from back when I was a knight errant. He and I went on many..." Her cheeks blush as Lady Harrington closes here eyes and takes a few heartbeats to reminisce of some past event. Snapping to with military precision, the woman continues, "Adventures together. He is a stalwart ally and a good friend. I asked that he be here to help guard a relic that will be arriving in a month's time."

I do not know what their hideout looks like, as it is underground. The entrance was carved into the gnarled trunk of a spruce tree, some miles from town."
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-17 at 07:08 PM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Ogre in the Playground

Lilisendra Ravenswood

Lily furiously scrawls down notes of the exchange between Johnny and Lady Maddy, a slight frown on her face.

After Lady Maddy has finished speaking, Lily clears her throat and addresses the paladin of Red Knight.
    "Ahem. As you can see, we employ some passionate people at Acquisitions Incorporated; I can assure you that Mr Law here will be just as passionate in the task of rescuing your friend Ares. Isn't that right, Johnny?" She shoots a quick glare at Johnny.

"The information you have provided is most helpful. Would it be possible to interrogate the captured bandit ourselves? The more information we have about their camp, the sooner we can rescue Ares."

Lily pauses to dip her pen into a tiny inkwell. "There is also the matter of our fee for this contract to discuss. We have a number of payment options available to you; but Acquisitions Incorporated likes to put the client first, so we would like to hear your proposal before we negotiate the finer details."

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

Lady Harrington points to the a small tower on the edge of town, "The prisoner is housed there. He is due to be hanged tomorrow, so if you want to question him, I suggest you do so quickly."

"As for payment," the paladin removes her glove, revealing her left hand, upon which is a silver ring with a large pink diamond on it. "The central pink diamond is three carats, roughly worth six hundred gold. That is my offer."

Spoiler: Ring
    Show

27. - Top - End - #27
    Ettin in the Playground

"I imagine we can work out some other means of payment, as you are influential here and we are just getting ourselves established. We have big plans to become an integral part of the community, and it is clear that Mr. Ares is important to you....far more important than even a ring that I'm guessing has sentimental value, in addition to its monetary value." Glancing over to the others, Amos realizes he may have overstepped his bounds and gives a quick laugh. "Of course, methods of payments and pricing are not my specialty....I am mostly in charge of cooking delicious things and stabbing bad people."

28. - Top - End - #28
    Troll in the Playground

Johnny regarded Harrington cooly, finding her eminently unsuited for her position. As a devotee of Tyr, who lifted the Red Knight to her station, he understood that she was the patron diety of strategists and tacticians. Harringtoon seemed too, he struggled to find the word, fiery, hot tempered? To see the bigger picture, perhaps it was just circumstances, but he was disappointed, he had expected more of her.

As he inspected the ring with the jeweller's monacle, he spoke quietly, "Ain't nobody want to spare the criminals Harrington," he continued as he took her hand turning it, examing the cut of the stone, "we just ain't lawmen, and if'n these bandits who took yer 'friend' are guilty o' kidnapping, then they'll be punished under the King's law, not yours, 'n certainly not ours."

Spoiler: Out of Character Actions
    Show
    OOC: I'm not sure how Proficiency with Jeweller's Kit works for appraising an item, I am trained in Investigation, and trained with the Jeweller's kit, so I am just going to guess, roll Investigation with advantage, and let Waraxe adjudicate from there, so (2d20)[8][16](24)+3=19.
    Last edited by Zero Prime; 2021-04-22 at 07:16 AM.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Spoiler: Johnny
    Show
    You examine the pink diamond and find that it is actually four carats, easily worth 800 gold (200 more than Lady Harrington estimated).

The paladin flashes a smile at Amos, "No. You should be paid for your service. I insist."

The woman scowls at Johnny as he once again pushes the idea of leniency.
    Last edited by SunsetWaraxe; 2021-04-22 at 12:37 PM.

30. - Top - End - #30

AssassinGuy

”Now that payment is settled, I believe we should discuss timeframe, you have made it clear that this matter is quite urgent, however we have just arrived from a long day of traveling. There is also other business that we must take care of in town, as well as questioning the captured bandit. Taking this all into account, I’ve determined that leaving at dawn tomorrow would be ideal, with your agreement of course.”