New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Default M&M 3e Can you Link Arrays?

I have a venom based character with snake like powers. My question is this: Can you link one array to another? For example, you can link a bite attack to a weaken or affliction to function as venom. But what if you have multiple attacks and multiple venoms? Can I say have a bite, and a spit attack in a damage array, and link that to my venom array, which contains things like a myotoxin, a neurotoxin, a perception penalty weaken effect for the blinding venom spit, etc. But as they have multiple venoms, linking the bite to one venom is a major handicap. So can I link my damage array to my venom array? IE when I use my bite attack, it is linked with my Venom array, thus activating any of my venoms.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Default Re: M&M 3e Can you Link Arrays?

Probably, but honestly I think you might be better off using a Triggered effect, or just making each iteration of a linked effect in the same array.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Titan in the Playground

The Talent Powers power profile introduced the idea of using Variable Descriptor as a link between separate powers and modifiers, like so:
    Flurry: Multiattack, Variable Descriptor 2 (any attack effect you wield, only up to the attack’s rank)
    That's probably the easiest way to do it. In this particular case I'd probably build my venom array, than have a separate array for the delivery systems:
    • Spit: Ranged X, Variable Descriptor 1 (any venom attack), X+1 points
    • Bite: Close Damage X, Variable Descriptor 1 (linked to any venom attack), 1 point.

If you want a more complete example, I've got a pre-gen character built along those lines you can check out here.
    Last edited by Grod_The_Giant; 2021-04-05 at 10:47 AM.
    Hill Giant Games
    I make indie gaming books for you!
    Spoiler
    Show

STaRS: A non-narrativeist, generic rules-light system.
    Grod's Guide to Greatness, 2e: A big book of player options for 5e.
    Grod's Grimoire of the Grotesque: An even bigger book of variant and expanded rules for 5e.
    Giants and Graveyards: My collected 3.5 class fixes and more.

Quote Originally Posted by Grod_The_Giant View Post
    Grod's Law: You cannot and should not balance bad mechanics by making them annoying to use

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Thanks for the help, granted I don't really understand? I am not especially good at getting how all these extras work togerher. Looking a your example, I can clearly see all your arrays, granted I am not sure how all of those work when not all of them are standard actions.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Troll in the Playground
    Protecting my Horde (yes, I mean that kind)

Quote Originally Posted by Mai View Post
    Thanks for the help, granted I don't really understand? I am not especially good at getting how all these extras work togerher. Looking a your example, I can clearly see all your arrays, granted I am not sure how all of those work when not all of them are standard actions.
    Basically its a floating Extra, it isn't attached to a specific effect. Impervious is a core example since it can be applied to the Toughness resistance provided by Stamina. Normally you have to apply Impervious to Protection, but if a character has a high Stamina they don't need, or can't get, Protection. Instead they buy Impervious as a floating extra by itself that applies to Stamina.

What Grod is suggesting is that you buy Ranged at whatever range is appropriate with the Variable Descriptor extra as well. So a Rank 10 Ranged Effect (going from melee to ranged attack) means it would be 10 + 1 points, or 11. Effectively what you're doing it is paying once for the Ranged effect, and sticking on any Poison/Venom power you have. I'd only do it if you're using an array of effects since it isn't any cheaper than doing as a huge array of effects.